Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think Hamilton is just okay. Am I stupid?

I mean I was Valedictorian in high school and I have a BFA degree in musical theater from a top school so I should be smart. But when I see so many people going crazy over something like Hamilton, I don't think they're stupid. I think I might be. Also- sometimes Broadway shows take a couple viewings before I like them which again makes me think that I'm not smart enough to comprehend greatness right away. Examples: Rent, The Book of Mormon, and Urinetown. I hated those shows on first viewing but LOVE them now. Once I watched them a couple more times, it clicked. I wonder if I'm just slow and Hamilton will click in a couple years. Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 167August 9, 2020 10:08 AM

[quote] I have a BFA degree in musical theater from a top school

You say that like it's a good thing, with some actual use or purpose.

by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2020 6:31 AM

r1- You'd think that'd be a good thing for evaluating the quality of a good musical.

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2020 6:36 AM

It's over-rated, so no, you're not stupid. It's trendy and got a lot press, and it wouldn't have gotten as much without its gimmick of the way it was cast. Yes, there's some writing in it, though some of the words go by too fast for an audience to take it all in, and the cast (with the exception of LMM) are quite good. I thought "Rent" was way over-rated, too, though there were some good songs and performances in that, too. Of course, if its composer had lived, it wouldn't have gotten quite as much press either.

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2020 6:39 AM

some "good" writing

by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2020 6:40 AM

My husband and I don’t like it either.

But, we’re eldergays in our 50s and don’t like rap.

by Anonymousreply 5July 13, 2020 6:48 AM

Yes, you are.

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2020 6:51 AM

[quote] I have a BFA degree in musical theater from a top school so I should be smart.

Trump University?

by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2020 6:53 AM

Having good taste is not a crime.

by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2020 6:55 AM

Overrated. I’ve listened to the soundtrack. It’s not my cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2020 7:05 AM

I've seen it live twice and watched it on Disney...I still hate it. My husband loves it. I just don't get it. I've tried. It sounds dated and seems like a show fat girls like.

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2020 7:05 AM

It's not about being smart or stupid and I don't know why you think it is. It's about taste.

Hamilton was too hyped for me to ever really enjoy it as what it was intended to be; all the "oh my GOD I just CRY SO HARD at this song!" comments have made me see pretty much everything about the show as Middle American camp.

And I agree with R10, it does sound dated, and I don't know why. Maybe it wasn't dated on release but has already aged poorly?

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2020 7:09 AM

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. You're welcome to your prolapsed opinion.

by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2020 7:11 AM

I did like In the Heights. Saw it on Broadway and it was enjoyable.

But I am so tired of hearing about this show, and I hate how this show became prohibitive pricing. $400 for a ticket. It was insane.

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2020 7:11 AM

I watched it, bit of a drag to get through, though some fine performances, and later watched "Music Man" on tv that same day. "The Music Man" is a far superior show about Americana, values, with more effective speak-singing that you can understand nearly every word, and the songs are tuneful, memorable and brilliantly executed. Hard to understand a lot of what they are saying in the raps of "Hamilton" and if you can't get the words, they are not being effective to the points they are trying to make.

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2020 7:12 AM

No. It’s overrated. Saw it twice and it’s a chore.

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2020 7:15 AM

Rent and Hamilton are kinda novelty for NYC rich, old, fat farts. But if you ask me if they are entertaining or their songs are catchy, I would say no.

by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2020 7:30 AM

I didn't really enjoy it or most of the music. Other than "You'll be back". But I'll be honest I don't think its possible for me to give it a fair chance. AsI came across the demented fanbase long before I had chance to see the show.

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2020 7:33 AM

By the time they were able to overpay for their tickets, it was almost incumbent on these audience members to hoot, holler and give standing ovations, so they convinced themselves before the show even began they were going to love it. How can it be overrated if it cost so much money? It can, and it is, even with all those awards. Same with "Rent". Both shows had some good numbers though and some excellent performances. "Hamilton" was staged well but with too much movement to cover up lots of exposition and off-stage action.

by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2020 7:40 AM

If you LOVE Rent, then yes, you’re stupid.

by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2020 7:40 AM

No, OP, you have good taste. “Hamilton” is gimmicky, overhyped, and it’s also kind of bad history in places. Hamilton was a manipulative, unethical scumbag. He was a genius too, but in the end, Burr gave him his just desserts.

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2020 7:43 AM

too much exposition, doesn't pass the Bechdel test, and LMM needed a better rhyming dictionary.

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2020 7:48 AM

r11- Exactly. I saw it live a few weeks before the original cast left and people were cheering like a madhouse when he started singing "I"m Not Throwing Away My Shot" and I thought why are people freaking out so much. It just started!

by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2020 7:54 AM

I thout Hamilton had some spectacular numbers in Act I, but the constant exposition gets exhausting by the second act, turning it into a long and dreary episode of Schoolhouse Rap.

Also, the rivalry between Hamilton and Burr seems forced and unconvincing, but that can be blamed on Lin-Manuel’s limits as an actor. He’s a great writer/composer, but his acting and “singing” are dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2020 7:55 AM

I agree about Lin-Manuel as an actor/singer. It's weird because everyone onstage is more talented and better looking than him. But he really hasn't had a stage career outside of the two roles he wrote for himself, right?

by Anonymousreply 24July 13, 2020 8:00 AM

And wouldn't have.

by Anonymousreply 25July 13, 2020 8:01 AM

I felt like I was in a high schiol field trip.

by Anonymousreply 26July 13, 2020 8:05 AM

I haven't seen it but I know most things are overrated nowadays. You know what I like, and finally watched yesterday? I am Not Your Negro. Came away with a better sense of what Black people go thru and a firm belief that James Baldwin was a genius.

by Anonymousreply 27July 13, 2020 8:11 AM

[quote]...(Lin-Manuel) really hasn't had a stage career outside of the two roles he wrote for himself, right?

Not really, but he miraculously got the lead in the Wesleyan production of Jesus Christ Superstar:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 13, 2020 8:17 AM

Not unlike when 1776 was foisted upon us unfortunate Bicentennial 8th graders.

by Anonymousreply 29July 13, 2020 8:20 AM

Of course it is on the verge of being canceled now, due to its incorrect depiction of slave holding founders, as opposed to bring lauded six months ago.

by Anonymousreply 30July 13, 2020 8:27 AM

Too many darkies singing songs about freedom. I likes darkies who make me laugh being afraid that the master gonna beat them. No girls showed their tits or clam either. Waste of time

by Anonymousreply 31July 13, 2020 8:39 AM

'Rap' and 'musical theatre' go together like oil and water. Chalk and cheese. Swedes and Swazilanders. Aphids and elephants.

by Anonymousreply 32July 13, 2020 8:44 AM

I didn't even try to like it. Something about L-LM's face puts me off (I think it's the beard), and living in a country where lots of popular music is German "rap" has put me off the genre forever (my 80s favorites excluded).

by Anonymousreply 33July 13, 2020 9:30 AM

Haven't seen it, but have to believe it's been insanely overhyped.

DL Fave Rosie O supposedly has seen it more than 40 times, make of that what you will.

And Lin-Carmen Miranda, of course, cries all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 34July 13, 2020 9:43 AM

Some iconic musicals are just a matter of timing and the bloom is off the rose pretty quick.

I remember when RENT came out it was treated like it was this masterpiece of musical theatre. The end all be all of Broadway.

When you watch it now, it seems pretentious and juvenile.

It's enjoyable but it ain't all that.

by Anonymousreply 35July 13, 2020 9:47 AM

Why does the logo for "Hamilton" have a guy on top of an anvil?

by Anonymousreply 36July 13, 2020 2:41 PM

J’adore OP. She needn’t fear to be more strident in her convictions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 13, 2020 10:27 PM

I liked it more than I expected, but have no need ever to see or listen to it again. It was worth 6.95 I paid for Fidney+.

by Anonymousreply 38July 13, 2020 11:12 PM

Sorry, Disney+

by Anonymousreply 39July 13, 2020 11:12 PM

It's great because it increases public interest in history and tells the history of the American Revolution in a new way. It's 100 times better than some boring Ken Burns documentary, military crap on the History channel, or Lucy Worsley. I don't really care for hip hop and don't have any interest in seeing the full show but I like that it excites students.

by Anonymousreply 40July 13, 2020 11:15 PM

It’s not an anvil R36.

It’s a star with its top cut off and Hamilton in a triumphant pose on top of it.

by Anonymousreply 41July 13, 2020 11:17 PM

[quote]I think Hamilton is just okay. Am I stupid?

The two are not mutually exclusive.

If you are having trouble understanding that, you have answered your own question.

by Anonymousreply 42July 13, 2020 11:21 PM

I watched it on Disney channel. I didn't see what the big hype was about. I thought to myself, am I missing something. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. Won't be watching it again.

by Anonymousreply 43July 13, 2020 11:25 PM

I had low expectations but actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It ran too long, and agreed with posters above that LMM is the weakest link in the cast (still good though).

I used closed captioning so I could read what I couldn’t understand.

by Anonymousreply 44July 13, 2020 11:31 PM

[quote]LMM needed a better rhyming dictionary

There's some interview where he said someone gave him one, and then asks "do I look like I need a fucking rhyming dictionary?". Judging by the amount of assonance, yes.

by Anonymousreply 45July 13, 2020 11:33 PM

It's pleasant enough.

It was NOVEL and I assume that is much of the reason for its recognition.

by Anonymousreply 46July 13, 2020 11:34 PM

I had extremely low expectations — and I was not disappointed. A few decent numbers, but the rest was somewhat boring. I despise most rap music, so that likely influenced my disinclination to ever wanting to watch it. But, it was the last night at the beach and storming out, so a friend and I decided, what the hell. Because I knew it would be mostly unintelligible, I followed along with the script for much of the first act. Then I gave up. Two hours and forty minutes can drag when a lot of the music sounds the same. Wayyyyyy overrated? Like Rent, oh, yeah.

by Anonymousreply 47July 14, 2020 12:06 AM

It’s awful. It’s an awful show. I couldn’t possibly sit through the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 48July 14, 2020 12:29 AM

I got Disney + just to see this for the first time (and original cast. I liked it but didn’t love it.

by Anonymousreply 49July 14, 2020 1:39 AM

I expected to hate it but I didn’t. I liked it fine. That’s about the most I can say about it. It was fine and good.

by Anonymousreply 50July 14, 2020 1:58 AM

But "rap" is monotonous rhythm without melody.

How can it sustain interest over 3 hours?

by Anonymousreply 51July 14, 2020 2:00 AM

Give me Oklahoma or South Pacific any day.

by Anonymousreply 52July 14, 2020 2:24 AM

Once a Broadway show gets skyrocketing hype, it can take decades for most people to see it clearly for what it really is.

Cats spent many decades viewed as almost a universal success and is only now being seen as the weak piece of art that it truly is.

by Anonymousreply 53July 14, 2020 2:27 AM

I haven't been able to see it--couldn't get tickets, don't have cable. But I've tried to watch the clips that are available, and I just don't get it. I find it borderline cringey and don't enjoy the songs at all. This surprised me, as a friend of mine saw it early in its run in NY, before I'd even heard of it, and absolutely raved about it; this is someone I almost always agree with on matters theatrical. So I assumed I would agree with the rave review.

by Anonymousreply 54July 14, 2020 2:55 AM

R53 That's hardly true, Cats was certainly being mocked as a tacky tourist trap by the 90s, and I imagine much earlier. Forbidden Broadway was certainly poking fun at it by the mid 90s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 14, 2020 3:30 AM

Sheesh r28 that is awful. No talent on display.

by Anonymousreply 56July 14, 2020 3:34 AM

r54- it's not available on cable. Disney + is a streaming service. You could get it for $7.

by Anonymousreply 57July 14, 2020 3:42 AM

For someone who likely shaves a few years off her real age, r55 is certainly being a stickler for the amount of years tonight.

The point is that we don't know how Hamilton will be viewed a decade from now. Not even in a Forbidden Broadway show who's job is to make fun of every show.

by Anonymousreply 58July 14, 2020 3:44 AM

But r55- Fordbidden Broadway pokes fun at every musical. And it's the finest form of flattery. That said, CATS was not uniformly considered a success for decades. More like 5 years and then it became a joke. Same with A Chorus Line too. I hear actors were eventually too embarrassed to put it on their resume.

by Anonymousreply 59July 14, 2020 3:45 AM

Forbidden

by Anonymousreply 60July 14, 2020 3:45 AM

R58 Except you're shaving decades off, and it was ridiculous to say it's only now seen as a joke, when it's been a joke for decades.

And sure, R59, FB makes fun of all shows, but it bases the jokes in truth. And as it says, it was an embarrassment of a show and existed just because of tourists. That wasn't created out of nothing.

by Anonymousreply 61July 14, 2020 3:51 AM

OP, you're crazy, I balled like a hormonal, sixteen year old.

by Anonymousreply 62July 14, 2020 3:54 AM

Very rarely is anything that gets extreme amounts of hype worth watching. I haven't gotten around to watch Hamilton yet but I'm not expecting to be blown away. Though I think a lot of hype for certain things depends on whether you're in the target demographic for a piece of media or not.

For example look at the legions of straight dudes on twitter that tear down any big budget female lead film for being bad when these same dudes love and idolize equally mindless and meritless films targeted at them.

by Anonymousreply 63July 14, 2020 3:56 AM

It was much better than Cats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 14, 2020 3:59 AM

It was much better than Cats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 14, 2020 3:59 AM

I cringed-watched through about the first 20 minutes but then I got into it. It’s entertaining enough. I’m glad I didn’t pay $400 to see it. But who knows, seeing it live might have been different.

*Spoiler*

Groff was a big reason I liked it. I have only seen him in the serial killer show but I didn’t know he was so talented. He is definitely husband material. Is he single?

by Anonymousreply 66July 14, 2020 4:01 AM

I have no desire to see it.

I loathe the contrived Lin-Manuel Miranda with the heat of ten billion galaxies.

by Anonymousreply 67July 14, 2020 4:03 AM

LMM comes across a dumb, non-Black person trying to be "cool" and show he can "rap" when really he is not a very good rapper. He's Latino but he's basically a white-bro trying to prove "he's down."

It's popular so "woke" white people can feel good and be like "look, I like the rap music too!" now.

by Anonymousreply 68July 14, 2020 4:09 AM

I liked it more than I thought I would.

What people are saying here is how I feel about The Great Gatsby. I feel like I'm missing something there.

by Anonymousreply 69July 14, 2020 4:18 AM

[quote]I balled like a hormonal, sixteen year old.

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 70July 14, 2020 4:37 AM

It's brilliant. I'm pretty obsessed with it. Op, if you aren't in it from the first watch you won't be.

by Anonymousreply 71July 14, 2020 4:39 AM

Thanks, R57. I really have no idea what Disney+ is and am not motivated enough to acquire anything with the name DIsney on it.

by Anonymousreply 72July 14, 2020 4:39 AM

r51, it's not all rap. It's a variety of different musical styles and one is hip-hop

One of my favorite songs. Also Satisfied is amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 14, 2020 4:45 AM

Satisfied...

This is such an amazingly staged scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 14, 2020 4:46 AM

^ That label says 'explicit content'.

Is it sexy?

by Anonymousreply 75July 14, 2020 4:55 AM

Here you can enjoy this song, and get a sense of one story line in the show. They have animations for most of the songs. You don't have to see LMM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 14, 2020 4:58 AM

Satisfied is the best staged number in a Broadway musical since Hairspray’s Welcome to the 60’s in 2002.

And while I can get while people don’t necessarily like the score, as a integrated musical work Hamilton has a formal richness, a density of ideas and a theatrical ambition that leaves most Broadway musicals looking like the stolid relics of a bygone age that the actually are.

And it is beautifully, beautifully staged. I’d argue that Andy Blankenbuehler‘s choreography is as integral to its staging as LMM’s contributions. Howell Binkley’s lighting design also feels similarly important. And not withstanding LMM’s limitations as a performer, from the film of the OBC it is/was performed to within an inch of its life by an insanely talented cast.

So, while everybody is free to like it not like any work of art and that has nothing to do with intelligence or being dumb, I also feel that Hamilton is a pretty extraordinary theatrical work.

by Anonymousreply 77July 14, 2020 5:03 AM

Groff was a bit terrifying as King George, but the character was toned down in the London production (I guess because the King’s insanity is a delicate subject in the U.K.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 14, 2020 5:06 AM

I saw Hamilton in 2015, actually on the night they did the A Chorus Line tribute. I slept through half of Hamilton but some of the cast are very talented based on their ability to sing from ACL. I have no particular bias against Hamilton, it just didn't seem that great to me. I know people who have seen it and say its life changing.

by Anonymousreply 79July 14, 2020 5:20 AM

A lot of people who saw Hamilton never saw a musical in their life. So I think some of the wow factor was seeing a broadway show for the first time.

But you can’t say it was worse than anything else that’s been put out. There isn’t much competition these days.

by Anonymousreply 80July 14, 2020 5:37 AM

love ya, R77, but Blankenbuehler needs to learn how to show, not tell. His extremely underwhelming work on the Cats movie showed his true colors. Binkley's also done better (and more important/challenging) work elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 81July 14, 2020 5:39 AM

"LMM comes across a dumb, non-Black person trying to be "cool"

So, like you?

by Anonymousreply 82July 14, 2020 5:45 AM

R78 That king has lots of saliva dribbling down at 1.48

by Anonymousreply 83July 14, 2020 5:56 AM

I've only seen clips of "Hamilton" but it comes across as one of those shows that the kids on the "Fame" TV series would have come up with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84July 14, 2020 6:59 AM

[quote][R78] That king has lots of saliva dribbling down at 1.48

That’s why he’s known as “Groffsauce.”

by Anonymousreply 85July 14, 2020 7:15 AM

R77 MARY!

by Anonymousreply 86July 14, 2020 8:33 AM

R77 is getting some good weed during lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 87July 14, 2020 11:23 AM

Hamilton was written by a hack closet queen.

by Anonymousreply 88July 14, 2020 11:25 AM

This play has about as much in common with Alexander Hamilton as Donald Trump has with normal underwear. I knew Alexander Hamilton - truth be told he wanted to marry me but I said no. Even so, this is fiction even for made up stuff. You had to be there.

by Anonymousreply 89July 14, 2020 11:35 AM

[quote]LMM comes across a dumb, non-Black person trying to be "cool" and show he can "rap" when really he is not a very good rapper.

I remember during that Tony’s broadcast when it was nominated that every time they showed him he looked so NEEDY. It was pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 90July 14, 2020 2:43 PM

R90 Hell, not just during that Tonys. I only remember this because I re-watched it recently but after the Next to Normal performance at the 2009 Tonys it cuts to someone linked to NtN in the audience, and behind him is LMM - and he's gesturing at the camera to try and get the focus on himself.

by Anonymousreply 91July 14, 2020 9:47 PM

LMM is kind of like Trump in that way.

by Anonymousreply 92July 14, 2020 9:50 PM

There is absolutely no reason that Potus needs to enter this tread. Can't we have any space that is free of him. Keep him out of here. r89 and r92

by Anonymousreply 93July 16, 2020 3:39 AM

The only thing I hate is the LMM worshiping like he's the second coming. Most of those people are band wagoners too has he's been doing his craft years before Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 94July 16, 2020 3:42 AM

Like Cats,like Rent,like Phantom,like Sunset Blvd theres about 3 songs in the whole thing I might want to hear a few times . I find with most musicals thats the case . Blood Brothers really comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 95July 16, 2020 4:05 AM

With the exception of "Tootsie" which was just serviceable, David Yazbek actually writes better scores (music and lyrics), but while he has a Tony, hasn't the press adoration of LMM. But Yazbek's shows will probably revive better in the future.

by Anonymousreply 96July 16, 2020 7:16 AM

I still haven’t watched the last 40 min. of it. Watched to the interval the 1st evening - which felt like it would never come - and then some more the 2nd evening...

The cast is amazing, save for the charisma void at the centre - and the staging is great.

But the writing is...not great. There are so few scenes that have any immediacy, that are actually happening, and the rest of it is all this declamatory representational history lesson stuff talking about stuff that’s happened or is gonna happen - which isn’t exactly dramatic. It actually made me miss Les Miserables, of which I am not a fan, but at least managed to locate the drama.

The Hadestown score is better than Hamilton, though it totally rips off Hamilton’s staging and has similar dramatic problems (though not as bad as Hamilton).

by Anonymousreply 97July 16, 2020 7:40 AM

Hamilton is right-wing propaganda. I know people can like Evita while deploring the fascism of the Peronism, but the whole core of Hamilton is anti-historical propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 98July 16, 2020 8:11 AM

Is still have not heard discussion about how the Disney production is different from the stage version? I assume they cleaned it up quite a bit to make it palatable for a family audience who was unable to handle something so innocuous as Love, Victor. And do they basically rewrite History and not have him die at the end, it just wouldn’t be a Disney production without a happy ending? I’m imaging something like the Pocahontas film?

by Anonymousreply 99July 16, 2020 8:31 AM

I’d rather watch a production of Mack & Mabel.

by Anonymousreply 100July 16, 2020 9:15 AM

r99, interesting editing. Especially the rewind in Satisfied. They is a youtube video of deleted songs. Mostly the beginning or more talking us into the song parts of existing songs. No censors just made it tighter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 16, 2020 2:21 PM

R99 - the only change they made from the broadway stage version was audio-blurring two of the three "fucks" in the lyrics -- the material in the video at R101 was cut from the show during the writing / workshopping / off broadway process.

I saw the show a few times with the OBC, and it definitely looses a great deal in the filmed and edited version - the talent of the actors is perhaps more apparent but the overall immersive sweep of the staging & choreography suffers; and the energy and excitement of watching a live performance is obviously gone -- so weaknesses are more apparent. Even so, it was one of the better, more original new musicals of the last 20 years - a much better artistic achievement than Rent. The hype was definitely insane, but the show was still quite good.

Lin was not as good a singer / actor than the rest of the cast, and Javier Munoz his alternate was much better than he was, but Lin did bring a certain charm and psychic energy to the role that is all him and that worked live. As the live production didn't translate completely to this recorded version, I also think a full movie musical version like "1776" won't work as well as the stage production either.

by Anonymousreply 102July 16, 2020 7:02 PM

I want to see it but only because of the positive and negative reviews. But not sure I want to spend $6.99 just to watch it. I'm not into the Star Wars stuff.

Anyway, for the poster who said they liked/preferred In the Heights, see the link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 16, 2020 7:22 PM

TO each his own. I think Hamiliton is extraordinary because the brilliant story, lyrics,and music came out of one head. We have never seen anything like this on stage before. Knowing In The Heights, I would never have expected he could raise the bar so much.

Others may think it's not so exciting a show.

Life goes on.

by Anonymousreply 104July 16, 2020 8:36 PM

OP, I would say yes to both of your questions.

by Anonymousreply 105July 16, 2020 9:04 PM

He only asked one, R105.

by Anonymousreply 106July 17, 2020 1:06 AM

Excerpt from the original script— B*stard Wh*re Sh*t Sh*t B*stard Wh*re A** Sh*t Sh*t F*ck A** A** C*ckold Wh*re Pr*ck Motherf*ckin' B*stard Sh*t Sh*t (a) B*stard Wh*reson Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t A**hole PAY YOUR F*CKING TAXES

by Anonymousreply 107July 17, 2020 1:44 AM

“‘Maybe’ is a worse ‘no’.”

OP is damning in her faint praise and hesitant self-deprecating criticism.

by Anonymousreply 108July 17, 2020 8:28 PM

Just saw the film/show for the first time. Oh my fucking god, the choreography is horrendous. But I’m with you too, OP. As a show it’s just okay. It’s great that it gets young people excited about theatre, and I know I’m not the target audience, but it’s still the triumph of an enormously successful p.r. campaign.

by Anonymousreply 109July 27, 2020 2:27 AM

Why Gen Z Turned on Lin-Manuel Miranda:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 4, 2020 8:45 PM

Why is it that the majority of people on this site HATE everything? It's so odd.

by Anonymousreply 111August 4, 2020 8:51 PM

I loved Jonathan Groff's King George III

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 4, 2020 8:52 PM

[quote] Why is it that the majority of people on this site HATE everything?

Insecurity. To some people, it would be terrible to admit to liking something that some anonymous queen thinks is trash.

by Anonymousreply 113August 4, 2020 8:54 PM

No, OP. You're right. Nobody with actual taste in musical theatre likes Hamilton. It's pedestrian bullshit. There's a reason all of the fans are 12 year old white girls. Great pieces of theatre tend to not have the same fanbase demographic as One Direction.

by Anonymousreply 114August 4, 2020 8:57 PM

You have excellent taste, OP.

by Anonymousreply 115August 4, 2020 8:57 PM

I found the constant movement very distracting. And there's a reason everyone loves "You'll Be Back" — it's a tuneful song, sung solo onstage by an actor who can sing, and the words are comprehensible, and funny. It makes a funny character out of King George.

There don't seem to any other real characters in the show, particularly Hamilton himself. Was he funny, charming, fierce, vain... what?

The only character I actually "felt" was Angelica, and she is hardly an important part of the history.

Overall, as a history "lecture" set to music, I thought it was fine. Not my favorite. I'll take Gypsy for $2000 Alex.

by Anonymousreply 116August 4, 2020 8:58 PM

I think it's total crap.

I get criticized for it all the time and it just makes me dislike the show even more.

by Anonymousreply 117August 4, 2020 9:33 PM

To say the show is "total crap" just shows that you are an idiot. It's a great show, which you should be able to appreciate whether it's to your personal taste or not.

by Anonymousreply 118August 4, 2020 9:46 PM

I was disappointed after all the hype. One attention seeking queen posted a photo of himself on bended knee proposing in front of the empty Broadway stage . The ushers should have thrown him out. A rich friend saw it cheap pre-Broadway at the Public, then spent $600 to see it again, then visited Hamilton’s house and posted a photo of the Hamilton bobblehead you can only but there. A third friend posted lyrics every day for weeks.

After all that, I was disappointed, to be fair, largely due to the circumstances. When I was in NYC my housemate called to tell me my dog was dying, I had a horrendous fight with my father, and the two friends I went with hated each other. I saw some of the original cast, but not LMM or Groff.

Three years later everyone is raving about seeing it on Disney +. The show is not worth bringing those memories.

BTW, when I saw Rent, there were still tons of show groupies. Absolutely hated Rent from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 119August 4, 2020 10:01 PM

R111 I don't. I actually like Lin-Manuel Miranda, and think he was hot with that long hair. He's still cute with the short hair, just not hot. I would say Hamilton is [italic] different [/italic]. That it is to other musicals. I'm not keen on hip-hop or rap, yet I know it speaks to many, and as a poster upthread mentioned, it really speaks to youth. My friend's eight and ten year olds sing/rap the music from it. It can be both hilarious, as well as annoying at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 120August 4, 2020 10:27 PM

R110 An editor really needed to work on that title, it sounds like Miranda is sexually aroused by young people.

by Anonymousreply 121August 4, 2020 10:34 PM

It cracks me up that “You’ll Be Back” is a fave among Boomers. It sounds like a jingle for a 70s breath mint ad.

I hope Lin Manuel develops a musical about the late, great astrologer Walter Mercado. The capes alone would make it worth seeing.

by Anonymousreply 122August 4, 2020 10:55 PM

R122 That would be hilarious, and has all the makings for a high-camp masterpiece. Is it Netflix that has the film? I forget, but there most certainly would be much interest.

by Anonymousreply 123August 4, 2020 11:56 PM

Wasn’t In the Heights supposed to come out, did they shelve it because it’s a bomb?

by Anonymousreply 124August 5, 2020 12:15 AM

In the Heights was not finished before the pandemic hit.

by Anonymousreply 125August 5, 2020 1:26 AM

R125 It was done and to open at the end of June. But the pandemic may have just been a good excuse to shelve it. Maybe they will use all the extra time to rework it and try to fix it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 5, 2020 1:37 AM

Disney owns the film, and as we all know musicals owned by Disney are always high art.

by Anonymousreply 127August 5, 2020 1:54 AM

Disney owns the film, and as we all know musicals owned by Disney are always high art.

by Anonymousreply 128August 5, 2020 1:54 AM

I've watched 3 times and it's really grown on me. And I've had the "You'll be back" song stuck in my head for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 129August 5, 2020 1:57 AM

As someone else said, LMM and Phillippa Soo (Eliza) lacked chemistry. Soo has a gorgeous voice, but I wasn't surprised when Amelie, her post-Hamilton role, closed after only a few weeks. I loved Jasmine Cephas-Jones, Daveed Diggs and Christopher Jackson. I was meh about the rest of the cast. There were moments that felt like a cast member made a joke during rehearsals and they worked it into the show, like the ridiculous beat box scene with Eliza, Alexander and their son.

As much as I like LMM, the man can't sing, act or dance. He's a brilliant composer, though.

by Anonymousreply 130August 5, 2020 2:22 AM

Meant to add that I think a big part of the hype for Hamilton came from all the high school drama club Gleeks who developed crushes on the cast members. Miranda did an excellent job cultivating that following with the daily lotteries for tickets and accompanying cast appearances at the stage door in the middle of the day.

by Anonymousreply 131August 5, 2020 2:26 AM

OP, I have a VERY similar background to yours and was also quite underwhelmed by “Hamilton”. I really enjoyed it but found it to be incredibly overrated and undeserving of its accolades.

by Anonymousreply 132August 5, 2020 5:37 AM

The criticism here of Hamilton is SO bad.

It’s not biting, it’s not creative, it’s not interesting. It’s worthless in explaining what the show lacks and why it isn’t good.

People who hate something should do better.

by Anonymousreply 133August 5, 2020 5:46 AM

I say this with all seriousness: every single person I know who likes Hamilton is overweight.

by Anonymousreply 134August 5, 2020 6:13 AM

For years, Broadway had been mostly for tourists.

Native New Yorkers who are into plays, usually try to catch them before the hype seeps in and the prices are prohibitive. I forgot what major play I saw years ago, it previewed at the Puck building, the tickets were fairly low. The same cast ended up in the Broadway version, where the tickets were extremely expensive.

Years ago, I belonged to a ticket club, the older woman who ran it always managed to get us decent tickets for major 'hit' plays for only $25 and this wasn't too long ago, early 2000s. I had no idea how she scored these tickets,. The price to join the club was also low, around $10 a year. When I heard people were paying hundreds of dollars to see a sold out play, it was laughable, especially as I was getting tickets for $25.

A lot of the over the top raves about these plays are pure hype. Especially when some Hollywood celeb is in a play for a limited run. The play is suddenly a "must see".

by Anonymousreply 135August 5, 2020 6:25 AM

For years, Broadway HAS been mostly for tourists.

by Anonymousreply 136August 5, 2020 6:26 AM

I've posted here already and have rewatched it 4xs.

I can't get enough of Chris Jackson's silky voice as Washington.

My day perks up as David Diggs prances around the stage singing "What did I miss?" as Jefferson and "You don't have the votes, ha ha" and "Never going to president now", in Hamilton's face.

Try it again Op. First view you'll appreciate Odam's perfection as Burr singing "Wait for it" and the "Room where it happened" , Goldsberry's singling Angelica's regret in the brilliant "Satisified" and Diggs' spitting words in "Guns and Ships".

But you will come to be astonished by Soo's pathos singing "Burn", Jefferson's nuttiness, Washington's honor and humility together, along with Peggy slutting it up as that Reynolds woman all in the 2nd act. I first couldn't get enough of the first act and the 2nd it just got so serious but it's brilliant in a different way.

by Anonymousreply 137August 6, 2020 4:37 PM

You can enjoy it here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 6, 2020 4:46 PM

Hamilton is the epitome of tourist theatre. I hated when they were trying to pass it off as intellectual back in 2016. It's in the same league as Phantom and The Lion King.

by Anonymousreply 139August 6, 2020 7:14 PM

OP always has sounded like he gets paid for starting threads here.

by Anonymousreply 140August 6, 2020 7:16 PM

Quora here at the lounge.

by Anonymousreply 141August 7, 2020 2:29 AM

It’s a zeitgeist show, like Rent. And we all know that crappy eras get the overrated shows they deserve.

Hamilton is about one thing and one thing only: Lin Manuel’s insufferability and ambition. It doesn’t help that he is a terrible actor, singer and dancer.

It really is relentless and low-brow camp masquerading as brilliance. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 142August 7, 2020 3:02 AM

R142, Lin wasn't terrible. He was okay and got the job done but the cast around him was outstanding.

The song writing was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 143August 7, 2020 3:10 AM

I’ll give him clever, but brilliant is a stretch. His word smithing is stronger than his music.

by Anonymousreply 144August 7, 2020 3:12 AM

Lin's incredibly talented when he stays behind the scenes. The problem is that his ego is too big for him to ever stay behind the scenes. He's starred in every single play he has ever written.

by Anonymousreply 145August 7, 2020 5:01 AM

Anybody who writes main roles for themselves in their work is an egomaniac.

by Anonymousreply 146August 7, 2020 5:03 AM

He’s not skillful when writing for any other character but....himself.

by Anonymousreply 147August 8, 2020 2:18 AM

r147, are you kidding. All the characters around Hamilton were all better than A. Ham. They had better songs and moments.

Burr was written with emotion and complexity, as was Angelica and Eliza. Thomas Jefferson and Washington were very skillfully written.

by Anonymousreply 148August 8, 2020 6:22 AM

I definitely am the type to need multiple viewings to get obsessed with some musicals....but the key is wanting to go back for viewing number two.

I haven't felt that obligation with Hamilton. It's fine, I didn't hate it, but no song stuck in my head. It's also so rap heavy, and I'm not as into that.

Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 149August 8, 2020 6:36 AM

Although his intro number is my favourite song in the show, am I the only person who thinks that if Daveed Diggs' performance of What Did I Miss?, meaning the choreography and facial expressions, had first been seen on, say, a Tonight Show, it would be condemned as too "Jim Crow"? I'm not American, or even very woke, but I was a bit stunned. Can some Americans comment on this for me?

Also (disagreeing strongly here with R148), why is it that Miranda has written Jefferson as a leering ignoramus? His comment about the financial policy being too long to read boggles the mind - Jefferson's personal library was so large and diverse (and in so many languages) it is classified by the Dewey system in the Library of Congress. I get that Jefferson is meant to be Hamilton's competition, but surely in life he was competition at the same or a higher level? Hamilton's ability to outwit someone who can't even make it through his policy hardly seems like a victory for our hero to be proud of. (Whether Jefferson would have made it all the way through this show is another matter.)

I'm perfectly prepared to believe Jefferson was a bighead, but intellectually limited, in any degree at all? Nup.

OP, I thought the show was novel (as a rap musical) and enjoyably energetic. I did think it dealt with the death of Hamilton's son and the effect on his marriage with surprising sensitivity, though otherwise Eliza's ballads were lost on me. After seeing it once in the theatre and once on Disney+, I couldn't sit through the whole thing again.

by Anonymousreply 150August 8, 2020 10:58 AM

What Did I Miss was such a weird song for them to give Jefferson. He's supposed to be this awful villain who actively uses his position of power to hurt people and they give him a jaunty, class clown, Oliver and Company style song as an introduction?

by Anonymousreply 151August 8, 2020 7:09 PM

Yeah you're stupid.

Or maybe you can't appreciate the rap style of musical.

Everything about it is incredibly well done. The ensemble is amazing. The lighting is spectacular. The performances are all high caliber.

Those that hate it are probably the same type of people that would be happy over at the Theatre Gossip thread discussing Follies for the millionth time or Gypsy or Compayny or any Sondheim play.

Clearly it's not for everybody.

It IS for everybody that truly loves and appreciates music and brilliant staging and all the things that make theater exciting and magical.

by Anonymousreply 152August 8, 2020 7:17 PM

R152 Hi Lin, we were just discussing the juxtaposition of your lack of on-stage talent and your egocentric habit of making yourself the lead in every piece of theatre you've ever composed! Now tell us, Linny, what's your secret?

by Anonymousreply 153August 8, 2020 7:35 PM

You're very original 153 I've never read a response like yours before.

by Anonymousreply 154August 8, 2020 8:02 PM

hackneyed and tired

by Anonymousreply 155August 8, 2020 8:04 PM

I don't think anyone's denying that he put it together skillfully, that the concept was sound and that it definitely landed at the right time in history, but to say that everybody who doesn't love it can't appreciate good music is ridiculous. I think my biggest issue with the show is that there aren't any sweeping songs that get stuck in my head, up-tempo or otherwise. There's a very current pop rap hip-hop sensibility to it which will definitely appeal to a lot of people, but it's the show's musicality that I feel is sometimes lacking.

Also, people like you r152 who insist that it is the Holy Grail and anybody who doesn't immediately agree is an idiot is a huge turnoff. I enjoyed the Book of Mormon for what it was, but the years of hype were excruciating and now I'm getting a little frustrated with people who are raving about Hamilton. American history isn't nearly as interesting to non-americans as you might think it is.

....but good for you that you love it so much.

by Anonymousreply 156August 8, 2020 9:40 PM

It's easier to swallow peddling warm memories of fascists when it's somebody else's country like Argentina. When it's your own, it just comes across as pandering for money, in a word, Lin, PROSTITUTION.

by Anonymousreply 157August 8, 2020 11:18 PM

Even Americans aren't really interested in American History. The only people I know who are super into history like that are old straight white men who would think musicals are too "queer" to enjoy anyways.

by Anonymousreply 158August 9, 2020 2:31 AM

I want this man:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 9, 2020 2:44 AM

But he wasn’t in the show when they did the Chorus Line celebration.

by Anonymousreply 160August 9, 2020 2:57 AM

R150 -- I think you are misreading the portrayal of Jefferson a bit -- he didn't read the whole proposal because he wasn't able to; but because his own egocentricity / high self regard and hatred of Hamilton made putting in that effort beneath him, in his mind. It's not that he couldn't, he just couldn't be bothered.

As to the staging of "What Did I Miss" you are catching the subtext correctly, but perhaps because you are not American you are missing the intentional point of it. The obvious conceit of Hamilton is that the very white Founding Fathers are played by actors of color - and while this certainly can be a turn off to more conservative Americans the staging of the show goes deeper than just the surface visuals. They take old American cultural (and showbiz) tropes about African Americans and intentionally push them hard to turn them on their head.

One old racist assumption about black men is that while they might not be intelligent, they are extremely, even dangerously strong physically and so sexually potent that white women need to be protected from them (and from their own almost uncontrollable desires for them). See the history of lynchings and the 70's Blacksploitation movies Drum and Mandingo. So here we have George Washington the "Father of our Country" as both the most eloquent and enlightened character and also physically a big, "scary," black MoFo.

Another black show biz trope is the flashy overdressed pimp -- see everything from SuperFly to Starsky and Hutch. Jefferson was a indeed dandy, and here he is introduced not only as an 18th Cent pimp in purple velvet, but his whole opening number draws heavily from Minstrel Show choreography and performance style - where black performers wore blackface and "cooned it up" to please a white audience; but now another august white Founder (and slave owner who had an affair and children with one of his slaves) is tapping it up for us like the silliest darkie since Butterfly McQueen. These types of choices are why I think the show is so brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 161August 9, 2020 3:08 AM

Lin took that old show business axiom to heart: “if you can’t wow them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.“

by Anonymousreply 162August 9, 2020 3:24 AM

I thought his axiom was you gotta get a gimmick?

by Anonymousreply 163August 9, 2020 3:42 AM

Nope - it’s “Give 'em the old razzle dazzle.”

by Anonymousreply 164August 9, 2020 3:45 AM

And he must be having a Brazzle Dazzle Day with all that Disney money, but artistically it's worth zip to me.

by Anonymousreply 165August 9, 2020 4:35 AM

Thank you, R161. If that's what they're trying to do I can't speak to the success of it, not being American, but thank you for explaining a point of view that I totally didn't get. It's not that I don't know the black tropes: it's that I don't know what you can and can't say about the Founding Fathers without causing a ruckus.

by Anonymousreply 166August 9, 2020 5:26 AM

One of the only good things about this pandemic and lockdown, is Lin Manuel Miranda is not the special guest on every freaking late night talk show every god damned day for years. He's been pimpiing the fucking shit out of this musical for years now. Enough already!

by Anonymousreply 167August 9, 2020 10:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!