Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Everyday words and phrases that have racist connotations

The words and phrases permeate nearly every aspect of our society.

"Master bedrooms" in our homes. "Blacklists" and "whitelists" in computing. The idiom "sold down the river" in our everyday speech.

Many are so entrenched that Americans don't think twice about using them. But some of these terms are directly rooted in the nation's history with chattel slavery. Others now evoke racist notions about Black people.

"Words like 'slave' and' master' are so folded into our vocabulary and almost unconsciously speak to the history of racial slavery and racism in the US," says Elizabeth Pryor, an associate professor of history at Smith College.

But America's reckoning with systemic racism is now forcing a more critical look at the language we use. And while the offensive nature of many of these words and phrases has long been documented, some institutions are only now beginning to drop them from the lexicon.

In real estate

Master bedrooms/bathrooms: A master bedroom typically refers to the largest bedroom in the house, often accompanied by a private bathroom.

Nationally, 42% of current property listings on Zillow use the term "master" in reference to a bedroom or a bath. The phrase "master bedroom" first appeared in the 1926 Sears catalog, according to the real estate blog Trelora. It was a feature of a $4,398 Dutch colonial home, the most expensive in the catalog, referring to a large second floor bedroom with a private bathroom.

In computer technology

Master/slave: Tech engineers use these terms to describe components of software and hardware in which one process or device controls another.

The terms have been around for decades, and they've long raised concerns.

In 2014, the programming language Drupal replaced "master/slave" terminology with "primary/replica." Django opted to use "leader/follower." Python, one of the most popular programming languages in the world, eliminated the terms in 2018.

Blacklist/whitelist: In tech, a blacklist refers to a directory of specific elements, such as email addresses, IP addresses or URLs, that are blocked. A whitelist, by contrast, is made up of elements that are allowed.

In sports

The Masters Tournament: It's one of the four major tournaments on the PGA tour and is usually called simply, "the Masters." The history of the name goes back to 1934, when the tournament was first held at Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia. Clifford Roberts, one of the co-founders, wanted to call the event the "Masters Tournament," according to the tournament's website. But co-founder Bobby Jones rejected the idea over concerns that it was too "presumptuous."

In the arts Peanut gallery: The phrase typically refers to the cheapest seats in a theater, and is informally used to describe critics or hecklers. When someone says "no comments from the peanut gallery," it implies that a certain group of commentators is rowdy or uninformed.

In law Grandfathered in: This legal term broadly refers to the "grandfather clause" adopted by seven Southern states during the Reconstruction Era.

Cakewalk: It's what we call an easy victory, or something that's easily accomplished. The cakewalk originated as a dance performed by enslaved Black people on plantations before the Civil War. It was intended to be a mockery of the way White people danced, though plantation owners often interpreted slaves' movements as unskillful attempts to be like them.

More at CNN

by Anonymousreply 78August 1, 2020 8:15 PM

[quote] "Words like 'slave' and' master' are so folded into our vocabulary and almost unconsciously speak to the history of racial slavery and racism in the US," says Elizabeth Pryor, an associate professor of history at Smith College.

IF you're American.

by Anonymousreply 1July 7, 2020 6:14 PM

Cancelled!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 7, 2020 6:21 PM

Master is of late Old English origin.

This is the kind of micro parsing that really doesn't help a great deal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 7, 2020 6:40 PM

Don’t get OP started on Black Friday!

Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 4July 7, 2020 7:00 PM

Blackleg = disease; strike breaker.

by Anonymousreply 5July 7, 2020 8:42 PM

destroy all words!

by Anonymousreply 6July 7, 2020 9:03 PM

Niggardly, interestingly, doesn't have a racist connotation or origin at all

by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2020 9:13 PM

Words are Swords!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2020 9:13 PM

Forget about ever having a WHITE Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2020 9:15 PM

Clearly the words “bl__k” and “wh__e” need to be banned altogether. Only then can we avoid hurt feelings and racial holocausts. Ditto “sl_ve” and “mas__r.” And of course “ly_ch” has got to go. So hurtful.

Then we’ll never again be able to talk about nasty, depressing things like how Emmett Till was________ because he was ________.

There, doesn’t that feel better? We’ve struck a real blow for rac__l justice today!

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2020 9:17 PM

We should also get rid of gyped--from Gypsy

by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2020 9:23 PM

Designers Name 2020's Ten Best Whites!

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2020 9:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2020 9:38 PM

Black raspberry ice cream

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2020 11:29 PM

Black cherry

by Anonymousreply 15July 7, 2020 11:49 PM

God bless the master of this house Likewise the mistress too, And all the little children That round the table go.

by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2020 11:56 PM

Ban “black holes.”

by Anonymousreply 17July 7, 2020 11:56 PM

My hole is NOT getting canceled, r17

by Anonymousreply 18July 7, 2020 11:59 PM

Indian giver

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2020 12:22 AM

Blackamoor

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2020 12:29 AM

I suppose quadroon and octaroon have to go as well. And don’t even think of leaving Negress I’m the conversation!

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2020 12:35 AM

Nigger in the woodpile it canceled. So is Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, Catch a nigger by the toe. If he hollers, let him go, Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2020 12:44 AM

[quote] "Master bedrooms" in our homes.

Your ignorance is astounding, OP.

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2020 1:16 AM

CNN is becoming Slate/Beast/HuffPo.

by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2020 1:18 AM

They even point out the term Master Bedroom was first used sometimes in the 1920's. That's 60 years after the Civil War ended. It has absolutely NOTHING to do slavery or being the master of a slave. It's probably more related simply being the 'head' of the household, which was common long before Europeans even knew about the Americas(except for that short Nordic sojourn in Vinland). Or a master craftsman who often had apprentices, etc.

It's really getting ridiculous at this point.

by Anonymousreply 25July 8, 2020 1:26 AM

White trash. It implies that everyone non-white is already trash.

by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2020 1:30 AM

[quote] It's really getting ridiculous at this point.

It's been getting ridiculous for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2020 1:30 AM

Can I still say masturbate?

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2020 1:36 AM

paddywagon.

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2020 1:45 AM

Black Maria

Black Narcissus

Big black cock

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2020 1:47 AM

Black and White Cookies will need to go from deli's, Blackened Chicken Breasts must be struck from menus, and if you fall down and hurt your knee, you'd better hope it doesn't turn Black and Blue.

by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2020 1:57 AM

Canceled. Poor pooches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2020 1:59 AM

We'd better ban all those words that are offensive to left-handers while we're at it (sinister, cack-handed etc).

"Master bedroom" does not imply slaves. If you want to be woke about it it is, in fact, offensive to the woman of the house (assuming she shares it) since it excludes her from any ownership of her room. One wonders idly which is the Master Bedroom at Buckingham Palace, where the owners keep separate bedrooms.

In sport, surely "Masters" refers to "people who have mastered their golf". It's like in "masterpiece", which is also not racist.

I googled Peanut Gallery and it is thought it refers generally to the poor people in the cheap seats at the vaudeville (as Edna Everage said much more recently, "Hold on up there. We don't want the place filled with plummetting paupers.") It's an American term, and because in parts of the US where there was effective apartheid these were often the seats used by the black community, most dictionaries are equivocal about whether it is meant to have racist overtones: they think usually it was class/education-based slurring, but concede it would sometimes have been racist also.

by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2020 2:05 AM

[quote] One wonders idly which is the Master Bedroom at Buckingham Palace, where the owners keep separate bedrooms.

There is only one master bedroom at Buck House: the Queen's. Phil does not have joint ownership of that dump.

by Anonymousreply 34July 8, 2020 2:09 AM

r28 Jack-off is preferred.

by Anonymousreply 35July 8, 2020 2:14 AM

Watch out James Spader; they are coming for you.

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2020 2:15 AM

I can’t stand people who welsh on bets, it’s like they think they can get away scot free!

by Anonymousreply 37July 8, 2020 2:20 AM

The Houston Association of Realtors is suggesting that the term “master bedroom” be changed to “owner’s bedroom.” As if that’s LESS offensive?

by Anonymousreply 38July 8, 2020 2:25 AM

It's hyphenated R37.

by Anonymousreply 39July 8, 2020 2:28 AM

Indian Giver Jew him down Chink in the armor

by Anonymousreply 40July 8, 2020 2:36 AM

According to this, "weeknight" recipes. Implies a white sensibility as in free to cook for the family on weeknights. Yes there is a paywall but you get a few free articles first. Sorry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 8, 2020 2:58 AM

BDSM has been CANCELLED.

by Anonymousreply 42July 8, 2020 2:58 AM

Are you a dominant or are you a submissive? Do I sound like a foreign when I speak like this? Oh, I am a hungry. Which nearby restaurant is an inexpensive? Yeah I am not a popular anymore.

by Anonymousreply 43July 8, 2020 3:19 AM

Have you finished your training?

Yes, master.

I am no longer your master, I am your samurai instructor dominant.

...I think I need more training in the strange language you speak now.

by Anonymousreply 44July 8, 2020 3:21 AM

I feel like I'm being gypped out speaking English properly.

by Anonymousreply 45July 8, 2020 3:22 AM

From the article linked in R41:

[quote]This week, Joey Hernandez, a Filipino-American food writer who joined Bon Appétit as its research director earlier this year, vowed to help dismantle a tendency “for decontextualizing recipes from non-white cultures, and for knighting ‘experts’ without considering if that person should, in fact, claim mastery of a cuisine that isn’t theirs.”

“MASTERY?”

by Anonymousreply 46July 8, 2020 3:24 AM

White boi.

by Anonymousreply 47July 8, 2020 3:33 AM

[quote] “for decontextualizing recipes from non-white cultures, and for knighting ‘experts’ without considering if that person should, in fact, claim mastery of a cuisine that isn’t theirs.”

Off topic but: I guess a Chinese person could NEVER be a master sushi chef because sushi isn't theirs, even if they were born in Japan and adopted by a master sushi chef and their spouse.

by Anonymousreply 48July 8, 2020 3:49 AM

Identity politics lunacy at its finest.

by Anonymousreply 49July 8, 2020 8:01 AM

nooks and crannies

by Anonymousreply 50July 8, 2020 8:19 AM

shylock

shyster

by Anonymousreply 51July 8, 2020 8:21 AM

Nobody here but us chickens.

by Anonymousreply 52July 8, 2020 8:23 AM

Statues, renaming, not using words, these are all nose jobs on a country that needs open heart surgery.

by Anonymousreply 53July 8, 2020 8:47 AM

"Nigger Toes" a/k/a Brazil Nuts

by Anonymousreply 54July 8, 2020 12:52 PM

Blackpool

by Anonymousreply 55July 8, 2020 4:37 PM

I can't wait until the non-STEM academics are brought to the guillotine. I do hope the beheadings will be lice streamed. 98% of them are useless imbeciles.

by Anonymousreply 56July 8, 2020 4:47 PM

[quote] I do hope the beheadings will be lice streamed.

What an unintended pun!

by Anonymousreply 57July 8, 2020 6:33 PM

[quote] And of course “ly_ch” has got to go.

FUCK YOU!

by Anonymousreply 58July 8, 2020 6:33 PM

What will the Spanish do?

In Spanish, the word for black is negro, as in “café negro, por favor.”

by Anonymousreply 59July 8, 2020 6:35 PM

Can’t we just call a spade a spade?

by Anonymousreply 60July 8, 2020 6:36 PM

Canceled

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 8, 2020 6:37 PM

te futue, R56.

by Anonymousreply 62July 8, 2020 8:13 PM

I know many of these examples are silly, but it's not a terrible thing to reimagine language or give new meanings to old words and outdated concepts. Churches some time ago grappled with the fact that the Christian God is always "HE", or "Father". . Why would God have a gender? Women have never been fully included in Christianity, and that is just one of many reasons why. There's something wrong with language itself, at least the English language, when all things bad are related to black or dark. "He has a black heart". "I was having dark thoughts". "He's a blackguard". They've done numerous heart-breaking psychological studies with white and black children and dolls, asking 3 and 4 year old children to point at dolls. Whether white or black, if asked if a doll is a "good doll", the children of both races will point to the white doll and if asked "which doll is a bad doll?" , children of both races point to the black doll. Ironically, there is no such thing as black skin or white skin. Every human being on the planet is some shade of brown, ranging from ivory/pink very light brown to very dark "plum" or "eggplant" brown. There is also no such thing as yellow skin or red skin. Sadly, it's become convenient to slap these labels on people and also emotions. Maybe we should carry paint color chips with us so that we can describe people more accurately and skip these inaccurate color labels with their centuries-old emotional baggage. "The thief was a tall pinkish beige man" . "That wonderful musician was burnt umber". "She was sand-colored".

by Anonymousreply 63July 8, 2020 8:43 PM

Negro is actually the PC term for blacks in Portuguese and also the color black in Portuguese and Spanish. Nero/Noir in Italian and French. I bet they'll find a way to bastardize this as they did with Latinx.

BTW Blacklist, black magic, black market are terms used since the middle ages way before the Atlantic slavery trade even started, but who cares about facts? There are many medieval texts on black magic and the occult using all these terms dating back as early as the 1100s.

by Anonymousreply 64July 9, 2020 6:01 AM

"You children are behaving like wild Indians!"

This isn't racist but I hate it - "No room to swing a cat."

by Anonymousreply 65July 9, 2020 7:07 AM

What will I call my degree that comes between a Bachelors (hmm problematic too) and a Doctor of Philosophy?

And if I conduct music in Italian?

And if I just want to discuss one’s high achievement in an endeavor?

Bunch of cunning linguists, these wokesters.

by Anonymousreply 66July 9, 2020 7:09 AM

R63, God has a gender because (if you listen to the folks who wrote his Book) He wants to tell us all what to think and how to behave. He is thus certainly a man and probably straight.

I'm pretty sure we talk about "black thoughts" and most of those other examples you gave because nearly all children and a good number of adults are afraid of the dark. Thus "dark" is associated with scary and depressing and "light" is associated with safety and hope. (The first thing that guy God said was "Let there be light.")

Can any of our Asian or Asian-derived DL-ers shed light on whether similar metaphors exist in Asian languages, where black people have been thin on the ground?

by Anonymousreply 67July 9, 2020 1:04 PM

[quote] Can any of our Asian or Asian-derived DL-ers shed light on whether similar metaphors exist in Asian languages, where black people have been thin on the ground?

All I know is that in Asia , white is associated with mourning and death and people wear white not black for a funeral, at least in predominantly Buddhist countries like Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 68July 31, 2020 7:36 PM

I haven't heard some of these words and phrases in a Coon's Age.

by Anonymousreply 69July 31, 2020 7:42 PM

[quote] All I know is that in Asia , white is associated with mourning and death and people wear white not black for a funeral , at least in predominantly Buddhist countries like Thailand

Pretty sure that's a muslim thing.

by Anonymousreply 70July 31, 2020 7:48 PM

I recently read a document that recommended not using the phrase "chink in the armor" since it could be seen as racist.

by Anonymousreply 71July 31, 2020 7:48 PM

No more faggot as a bundle of sticks or a fag as a cigarette.

"Hey, faggola, why don't you go light your fag on the burning faggot?"

by Anonymousreply 72July 31, 2020 7:50 PM

Could me Muslim too, but definitely a Buddhist thing. I've been to a Buddhist funeral of the Asian grandma of a friend and that's where I've learned that white is what you wear in a funeral, not black, at least in Thailand, I suspect this is true to other Buddhist nations.

by Anonymousreply 73July 31, 2020 7:52 PM

Naturally The Guardian felt obliged to provide balance and give voice to travellers groups to challenge the views of the judge in the case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 31, 2020 7:58 PM

[quote}"Nigger Toes" a/k/a Brazil Nuts

R54 My mother used to say that. She also used the phrase "Nigger in the woodpile."

by Anonymousreply 75July 31, 2020 8:19 PM

In SJ Perelman's The Beauty Part someone trying to sound genteel refers to "a colored gentleman in the woodpile."

by Anonymousreply 76August 1, 2020 7:47 PM

Is there something racist about peanuts? I know kids who do not know that fried chicken/watermelon/grape soda are supposed to be “food that blacks people like” and I can’t correct them because why introduce racist concepts when they don’t know them?

by Anonymousreply 77August 1, 2020 8:13 PM

Well, what about “in the red” and “in the black”, referring to balance sheets? Black is GOOD in that scenario.

OH!

by Anonymousreply 78August 1, 2020 8:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!