Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I really want to move to Vancouver

Is there an affordable place to live in that city?

I know that prices have skyrocketed there, but is there anywhere that is still affordable? Even the outskirts, like Surrey?

Looking to rent, not buy.

Also, can I do this without Canadian citizenship? I'm an American.

by Anonymousreply 163August 31, 2020 3:23 AM

You can’t. Americans are pariahs.

by Anonymousreply 1July 4, 2020 7:00 AM

You can't stop me, R1.

Not as long as that border is open.

by Anonymousreply 2July 4, 2020 6:56 PM

Border is closed. You can rent a 1 bedroom off Davie for 1800. Pretty comparable to other cities:

by Anonymousreply 3July 10, 2020 12:30 AM

I hope you like the outdoors because there's no there there otherwise. Also I hope you're an introvert.

by Anonymousreply 4July 10, 2020 12:32 AM

Nope. Won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 5July 10, 2020 12:34 AM

I'm glad I did. I came up a year ago and the timing could not be better. Nobody's given me any crap about my living in the US. Car insurance is expensive though, and if you move to Canada, there's a long process for legal importation of your vehicle that requires it to stay in the US for three ays.

by Anonymousreply 6July 10, 2020 12:36 AM

Jealous, bitch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 10, 2020 12:50 AM

Asking for affordability in Vancouver is like asking for it in San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 8July 10, 2020 12:53 AM

Border is closed. Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 9July 10, 2020 1:00 AM

You could always try Vancouver, Washington. bit that's near Portland.

So enjoy your meth and homeless!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 10, 2020 1:03 AM

I want to move to Toronto, but no! Border closed. Shit

by Anonymousreply 11July 10, 2020 1:09 AM

Walk over the border like Brodie. Perfect time of the year.

by Anonymousreply 12July 10, 2020 1:21 AM

Are you Asian, OP?

by Anonymousreply 13July 10, 2020 1:31 AM

I love how America has the most liberal immigration policies of any Western nation

by Anonymousreply 14July 10, 2020 1:39 AM

It's a good place to be right now, OP. We have virtually no CoVid at the moment, and lots of nice places to head out to for the summer. I think we look in horror at the US West Coast at what's happening now, but I hope they get the vaccine soon as I like our American cousins and hope they will be able to come back here soon.

by Anonymousreply 15July 10, 2020 1:43 AM

The gay scene is VERY small. Everyone has fucked each other.

by Anonymousreply 16July 10, 2020 2:13 AM

The border is not closed if you say you are on your way to Alaska. The Canucks will let you right in, all hospitable-like.

by Anonymousreply 17July 10, 2020 2:36 AM

I tried to defect to Vancouver 30 years ago, the first time I saw it, and learned that unless you are part of the British commonwealth it is not easy to move there. Especially if you are an American. And who could blame them? Good luck, though. It is definitely the most beautiful city in North America.

by Anonymousreply 18July 10, 2020 2:49 AM

What’s the gay scene like anyway? Besides small ..

by Anonymousreply 19July 10, 2020 3:50 AM

[quote]The border is not closed if you say you are on your way to Alaska. The Canucks will let you right in, all hospitable-like.

This is actually true, although Canadian officials are starting to realize that some Americans are going AWOL in Canada on their (supposed) way to Alaska, so it may not be true for much longer.

by Anonymousreply 20July 10, 2020 3:58 AM

Aren't the Chinese still buying up all the houses in "Hongcouvar" and driving up prices to unprecedented levels?

by Anonymousreply 21July 10, 2020 4:15 AM

No, R13. Why?

R16, why is there such a small gay population? Are they closeted?

The Vancouver metro area has about 2.5 million people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2020 5:23 AM

I need to marry a Canadian and get my 3rd passport.

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2020 6:20 AM

You hung?

by Anonymousreply 24July 10, 2020 6:49 AM

Are you boring and unexceptional? Then Vancouver is the place for you!

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2020 7:22 AM

You could swim to Windsor!

by Anonymousreply 26July 10, 2020 7:25 AM

R18 even if you are part of the British commonwealth it's not easy to move there, unfortunately. I love the place.

by Anonymousreply 27July 10, 2020 10:17 AM

OP, just claim asylum. Or even cross the border illegally. Canada is lenient on immigration offenders and fake asylum seekers.

by Anonymousreply 28July 10, 2020 10:23 AM

[quote] I tried to defect to Vancouver 30 years ago, the first time I saw it, and learned that unless you are part of the British commonwealth it is not easy to move there.

Do you mean 80 years ago? Being part of the British commonwealth makes ZERO difference and hasn't since the 1930's.

by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2020 11:56 AM

R28, that's what I was thinking of doing.

All I have to do is drive from the Washington border and say I'm visiting, then just never leave.

The only logistics I was worried about, is how to find a job and a place to live.

How do the illegal Mexicans do it in our country? That's basically what I would do in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 30July 10, 2020 12:46 PM

The border is closed to visitors

by Anonymousreply 31July 10, 2020 2:22 PM

the border is closed - canadians don't want random americans coming in

by Anonymousreply 32July 10, 2020 2:28 PM

[quote] How do the illegal Mexicans do it in our country? That's basically what I would do in Canada.

Good luck with that. Despite their claim of being so liberal, Canada is worse than Trump when it comes to immigration and border control.

by Anonymousreply 33July 10, 2020 2:52 PM

Canada is lenient on immigration offenders and fake asylum seekers.

Um, no. It takes a bit of time, but we find you and put you on a plane.

by Anonymousreply 34July 10, 2020 4:35 PM

Put $450K in a Canadian bank. Learn French.

Acquire fast track citizenship.

Look it up.

by Anonymousreply 35July 10, 2020 4:41 PM

It's boring. Just move to Seattle.

by Anonymousreply 36July 10, 2020 4:45 PM

Convert to Islam and you'll increase your eligibility by 300%.

by Anonymousreply 37July 10, 2020 4:56 PM

My husband has a Canadian passport: he finds Canada boring but perhaps we will go and live there after Trump wins again in Nov.

by Anonymousreply 38July 10, 2020 5:23 PM

Interesting, I looked up R35's suggestion and it's true, but I don't see anything that you have to learn French. And the price tag is $400,000 Canadian. That's only about $300,000 U.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 10, 2020 6:39 PM

[quote] It's boring. Just move to Seattle.

Seattle is Thunderdome.

Vancouver is much more civilized.

Such a beautiful and scenic city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 10, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote]How do the illegal Mexicans do it in our country? That's basically what I would do in Canada.

I guess you need to find out what kind of crops need to be harvested in BC.

by Anonymousreply 41July 10, 2020 8:18 PM

r39, I think you might want to look for a more current website than the 2006 one your are referring to, and which I do not believe is an official Government of Canada website.

Its tough to get in to Canada, especially if you are 'older'. Immigration and Refugee Board makes final decisions I believe, over and above you meeting all the requirements.

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2020 12:34 AM

It's hilarious that OP doesn't get that the border is closed. Like, how many posters have to state it. Typical American no one tells me what to do attitude. And look where that's got them.

by Anonymousreply 43July 11, 2020 12:51 AM

^ And typical American idiocy. The border is fucking close.

Girl, your move is cancelled. Stay here with the rest of us diseased pariahs.

by Anonymousreply 44July 11, 2020 12:55 AM

Its hilarious r43 hasn't read this thread but still he's compelled to jump in feet first with the obvious and already ecamined.

by Anonymousreply 45July 11, 2020 1:24 AM

I have always found it odd that Americans simply assume they can legally move to any country they fancy, rent a flat, get a job, with no visa or residency documents whatever -- I hear it over and over.

I do not think a short-term flat let in Canada is a problem, Americans can stay for 6 months, but without a work permit a (legal) job is unlikely to happen. Canada does have programmes facilitating immigration for certain career specialities and educational levels, it is a points system, understandably ones ability to qualify decreases with age.

by Anonymousreply 46July 11, 2020 2:25 AM

(R46) That's only true for people who play by the rules and are on the up and up. Illegal immigrants always find a way.

by Anonymousreply 47July 11, 2020 2:34 AM

I repeat: you'll skulk around knowing that you are illegal for a year or so, then we find you and put you on a plane home.

by Anonymousreply 48July 11, 2020 2:37 AM

Canada does not want Americans. They probably would just tell you to fix your own country. The onltvway yo fix it is by getting rid of right winners.

by Anonymousreply 49July 11, 2020 2:38 AM

Weather and Taxes: sends the Americans running home every time!

by Anonymousreply 50July 11, 2020 2:41 AM

No country wants someone over 50.

by Anonymousreply 51July 11, 2020 2:57 AM

[quote] then we find you and put you on a plane home

That's it? A free ride back home? So there's' nothing to lose by trying.

by Anonymousreply 52July 11, 2020 3:21 AM

Haha... Remember this? Slovenian whore's border jumping...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 11, 2020 3:24 AM

[quote]No country wants someone over 50.

Should be Datalounge's motto.

by Anonymousreply 54July 11, 2020 3:58 AM

Travel to Canada is NOT restricted:

The United States (U.S.) is cooperating closely with Canada to ensure that North American has a coordinated approach to combating the pandemic caused by the coronavirus.

On March 21, 2020, the U.S., Mexico, and Canada temporarily restricted non-essential travel across the US-Canada land borders. On May 20, 2020, all parties agreed to extend the restrictions on non-essential travel across their shared borders for 30 additional days until June 22, 2020. We are maintaining cross-border activities with Canada and Mexico that support health security, trade, commerce, supply security, and other essential activities while taking critical steps to protect our citizens and to curb spread of the virus.

[quote] Does this apply to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents?

This restriction does not apply to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, persons from foreign countries who hold valid travel documents, and persons from foreign countries in the visa waiver program who are not otherwise subject to travel restrictions. This order does not apply to individual persons who should be excepted based on considerations of law enforcement, officer and public safety, humanitarian, or public health interests.

[quote] Will this affect Supply Chain?

Supply chains, including trucking, will not be impacted by this new measure. It is critical we preserve supply chains between both countries. These supply chains ensure that food, fuel, and life-saving medicines reach people on both sides of the border. Restrictions on travelers crossing the US-Canada land border for non-essential purposes will help the people of both countries remain safe and reduce spread of the virus, while preserving supply chains.

[quote] Will I be able to cross the land border to go to work?

Americans and Canadians cross the land border every day to do essential work or for other urgent or essential reasons, and that travel will not be impacted.

[quote] What restrictions are there to essential travel?

To safeguard our economic ties, travelers with essential purposes can continue to cross the land border and will be exempt from a self-isolation requirement. In addition, travelers with family care, educational or humanitarian reasons will continue to be affected. Restricted travelers will be returned to their last point of origin (Mexico or Canada) and CBP will suspend case processing of inadmissible individuals, to include those subject to travel restrictions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 11, 2020 4:22 AM

R55 non essential travel is restricted. Did you read that cbp link you shared?

by Anonymousreply 56July 11, 2020 4:34 AM

One of the most beautiful cities in North America. Its cost of living however lives up to that title. Good luck

by Anonymousreply 57July 11, 2020 4:50 AM

R56, that only applies to driving across the border.

I booked a RT flight to Vancouver, no problem.

Heading there from the LA area next week.

by Anonymousreply 58July 11, 2020 4:50 AM

R58 good luck to you. If you are not Canadian and this is non essential travel ensure you have all the paperwork you need when you get to customs.

"Travel to Canada for discretionary reasons (non-essential), such as for tourism, recreation or entertainment is currently prohibited."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 11, 2020 5:03 AM

I'll make something up, R59.

Then I will just stay in a hotel for a month or two.

Eventually, I'll find a rental or lease property.

I'm going to stay in Canada until the election in November.

by Anonymousreply 60July 11, 2020 5:07 AM

Good luck R60. I know someone who can't get into Canada because he got a DUI almost a decade ago.

Embarassing for him to find out when he arrived in Toronto for a work trip but was sent back.

Also good luck getting a lease without a job, particularly since you need a visa after some time.

by Anonymousreply 61July 11, 2020 2:23 PM

Can't you just walk over into Canada from Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 62July 11, 2020 10:21 PM

You can walk if you like R62 but you will be detected and arrested. On the US side you will probably be incarcerated. On the Canuck side you'll prob just be sent back whence you came. It's called the Slash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 11, 2020 10:32 PM

Find yourself a nice Canadian man from a nice family and marry him.

by Anonymousreply 64July 11, 2020 10:32 PM

Will they let you in just because you're married (as I am) to a Canadian? (We never discussed it in depth, but perhaps we will now, depending on the outcome in November).

by Anonymousreply 65July 11, 2020 10:36 PM

R63, that's cool!

Does it extend the ENTIRE distance of the US/Canada border?

And how exactly do they "track" people along every single mile of that border?

Surely, there's a way to avoid being noticed along some remote stretches of the border.

by Anonymousreply 66July 11, 2020 10:44 PM

R65 If you are legally married to a Canadian citizen, yes, you can apply for a spousal visa. That being said, I lived in Vancouver for five years and it's over rated and way too expensive. For a city of over 2 million people, it has a shockingly small art & culture scene and a small gay community. Vancouver is beautiful, but Toronto is the better city, job wise, arts and culture wise and gay wise. Toronto is just as expensive but there are more cities surrounding Toronto and increasing public transit options. You can live as far out as Kitchener/Waterloo and take the GO Train right to Toronto for work (there is talks of adding Go transit all the way down to London Ontario by 2022). If you speak French, move to Montreal. It's affordable and probably the best city in the country.

by Anonymousreply 67July 11, 2020 10:54 PM

My recollection is R65 that a Canadian citizen may sponsor a spouse for permanent residence, but this cannot be done unless your husband is a permanent full-time Canadian resident -- he cannot sponsor you when living outside of Canada.

by Anonymousreply 68July 11, 2020 10:54 PM

R66 The Slash is right across the continent but not in towns I suppose.

The Slash is patrolled by cameras and infra red.

There is no escape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 11, 2020 10:55 PM

I may have to send him back R68.

by Anonymousreply 70July 11, 2020 10:57 PM

If you try to cross the Slash you will be eaten by mosquitos before you make it to the Canadian side.

by Anonymousreply 71July 11, 2020 11:02 PM

[quote] —20 feet of bloodthirsty bugs.

And that's just the border guards. The Canadian border guards are just as fucked up in assholery as the US variety, BTW.

Depends on the season R71 but best bring camping equipment including a packed lunch and insect repellent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 11, 2020 11:12 PM

Why? It’s expensive everywhere but surrey is kind of affordable. I live in Vancouver because I’m from the area but it’s a shithole. I’d love tomorrow if my elderly parents weren’t here. It’s such a soulless gentrified city. No culture and no history.

by Anonymousreply 73July 11, 2020 11:34 PM

Thanks. R63, never knew about that, and R65 for follow up.. Very cook indeed.

by Anonymousreply 74July 11, 2020 11:55 PM

[quote] Very cook indeed.

Que?

by Anonymousreply 75July 11, 2020 11:59 PM

R68 My husband is Australian so we went through the process two years ago when we moved to Toronto. You can sponsor your spouse even if you're living outside of Canada, but only if you're in the process of moving back to Canada. You have to show proof of your intention to remain in Canada. Because we were moving back because I had a job offer, my employer provided me with a letter and a copy of my employment contract. If don't have a job waiting in Canada, you may be asked to surrender your passport for a maximum period of 24 months to ensure you don't leave the country.

Also because your spouse is not entitled to work for a period of 5 to 6 months until you can get an open work permit, you have to show proof that you can support them financially and you must take out medical insurance as they are not covered under the public health system.

by Anonymousreply 76July 12, 2020 12:02 AM

Someone mentioned Montreal. It’s brutal in winter, and very racist.

by Anonymousreply 77July 12, 2020 12:04 AM

[quote] you may be asked to surrender your passport for a maximum period of 24 months to ensure you don't leave the country.

The Canucks are really Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 78July 12, 2020 12:06 AM

[quote] Someone mentioned Montreal. It’s brutal in winter, and very racist.

They also expect you to speak their 'French' even if you happen to come from France like me.

Quebec City is much, much better.

by Anonymousreply 79July 12, 2020 12:12 AM

I am in Vancouver right now. Jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 80July 13, 2020 1:00 AM

Yes...thanks R67 for the obligatory "Vancouver is boring, and Toronto is so much better with much more culture, etc., etc., etc." comment...glad we got that out the way. We get that Toronto is the best thing in Canada. But right now I'm glad I'm in Vancouver rather than TO. We have much lower rates of CoVid, a lot more outdoor space to move around, and milder weather so we're not all staying indoors and getting sick from sharing AC-circulated air. I'm sure there's not a lot of culture happening right now in either city.

by Anonymousreply 81July 13, 2020 2:31 AM

R80 here. We don't have much COVID in these parts; any at all is too much but it's very rare. We do not need US travelers 'en route' to Alaska spoiling the situation, thanks, so stay away.

by Anonymousreply 82July 13, 2020 2:50 AM

R81 Actually Montreal and Quebec City are the best cities in Canada, but I digress. BC is well ahead of the curve because you have a progressive government and a properly funded public health service. Unlike Ontario which has Doug Ford and a bunch of conservative idiots calling the shots.

by Anonymousreply 83July 13, 2020 7:18 PM

Stay away from Surrey. It's a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 84July 13, 2020 7:28 PM

OP, if you don't like Asian people (and it seems like you don't based off that thread on foreign students having to leave the US), then do [bold]not[/bold] move to Vancouver. You'll go crazy.

That's all.

by Anonymousreply 85July 13, 2020 8:22 PM

You're not welcome OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 16, 2020 10:22 PM

The number of Canadians migrating to the US is almost 10 times the number of Americans going to Canada. And that's actual raw numbers, not per capita.

by Anonymousreply 87July 16, 2020 10:25 PM

Go back to America !

by Anonymousreply 88July 16, 2020 10:25 PM

[quote] The number of Canadians migrating to the US is almost 10 times the number of Americans going to Canada.

When was that R87, in the Great Depression?

by Anonymousreply 89July 16, 2020 10:26 PM

The Canucks don't want us flooding their health service which will pay for your COVID treatment even if you are from out of town.

by Anonymousreply 90July 16, 2020 10:28 PM

[quote] According to a report by Statistics Canada about 167,300 Canadian residents moved to the U.S. between 2001 and 2006. That’s about 33,000 per year. By comparison about 9,000 Americans move to Canada each year, and the U.S. has nine times as many people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 16, 2020 10:43 PM

[quote]According to a report by Statistics Canada about 167,300 Canadian residents moved to the U.S. between 2001 and 2006.

Not a small number of which are our heavily recruited doctors and nurses, and other other well educated professionals who hold their nose and go for the money, only to return after 10 years or so of making bank.

by Anonymousreply 92July 16, 2020 10:49 PM

R14 they don’t. You sound uneducated.

by Anonymousreply 93July 16, 2020 10:53 PM

2006 was 14 years ago. In 2006 Dubya was prez. Anything a bit more... contemporaneous R87/R91?

by Anonymousreply 94July 16, 2020 10:54 PM

Things have got to shit here in Vancouver. Thousands of Junkies are everywhere and property crime is at record high. That is because Vancouver is a drug utopia where Canada's laws are not applied. They just legalized homeless camping in all the parks so the city is going to get even more scummy. Most white middle class Canada have cashed out and moved away. Vancouver looks great from a distance on a rare sunny day but the reality on the streets is ugly. Unaffordable, unfriendly, and owned by the Chinese. I live very well here because I am well established but if you are poor and white, do NOT come unless you fancy sleeping in a tent in the rain.

by Anonymousreply 95July 16, 2020 11:25 PM

[quote] owned by the Chinese.

That is a big turnoff. The Chinese are a disgusting country and race. They make everything spitty and dirty, not to say virus-ridden.

Is that Huwhahwhey heiress still there under house arrest before she gets tried by the Feds for 40 years in-max here in US?

by Anonymousreply 96July 16, 2020 11:30 PM

R95 Sounds like San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 97July 16, 2020 11:31 PM

As bad as Trump is, it's a provable fact that more Canadians move to the US than the other way around. I think that could change if Trump is reelected, but for now the histrionics rantings about how great Canada is and how bad the US is just don't mean anything.

by Anonymousreply 98July 16, 2020 11:35 PM

Is Frisco really owned by the Chinese R97? Shame on you. You mean US citizens of Chinese descent or whatever they are called. Vancouver is owned by the PRC: is Frisco owned by the PRC R97? Is it??

by Anonymousreply 99July 16, 2020 11:35 PM

Yes the Chinese Princess is still here under house arrest which means she lives in a mansion and wears an ankle bracelet to go shopping at Prada. Canada doesn't have the balls to turn her over to Trump. Canada is so compromised by China and terrified of a Chinese retaliation we will probably let her go home. Vancovuver is the epicenter of China-controlled Canada. It's pretty disgusting. They have a Chinese-only Uber here that will refuse any white customer and they get away with this shit constantly. And they will throw rage tantrums at any perceived slight by a white person at the same time. Blacks have been effectively driven completely out of Vancouver by the Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 100July 16, 2020 11:45 PM

The deplorables ruin this thread

by Anonymousreply 101July 17, 2020 12:09 AM

The deplorables on this thread are the Chinese in occupation of Vancouver. I love they get away with Yellow-Only-Uber; try that for Whites-only and get fucked by the govt. If I was a Canuck, I'd go East and hunker down in Labrador.

by Anonymousreply 102July 17, 2020 12:19 AM

How do the people of Point Roberts, WA deal with the closed border situation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 17, 2020 1:23 AM

[quote] How do the people of Point Roberts, WA deal with the closed border situation?

If you are chinois and speak Quebbie-French you go anywhere you like in our great, vast country.

by Anonymousreply 104July 17, 2020 2:03 AM

The Point Roberts border is closed.

by Anonymousreply 105July 17, 2020 6:10 AM

Seriously, R105?

I just read up on R103's link, and I'm fascinated by that little piece of land.

If the land border is closed, does that mean they can only access the US by boat or plane, now?

Why wouldn't Canada make an exception for Point Roberts, seeing as how it's completely surrounded by Canada? It seems excessively cruel.

by Anonymousreply 106July 17, 2020 6:12 AM

50% of Point Roberts residents have a boat that will get them to Blaine, WA in 40 minutes or less. And Canada is making exceptions for US citizens in "crisis" to cross the border by vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 107July 17, 2020 6:20 AM

I can move to Vancouver from the US if I want to, and no one can stop me.

Just watch.

by Anonymousreply 108July 17, 2020 3:21 PM

What's you plan R108?

by Anonymousreply 109July 17, 2020 4:49 PM

Invade Canada, R109.

by Anonymousreply 110July 17, 2020 11:41 PM

If R110 wins in November, how long Canada will remain independent will be a question. The huge mineral wealth, the tiny population many of whom would be very pleased to be US citizens, the demands of big business and Putin to turn Canada into a large joint venture exploitation will be too much to resist. The US Yahoos and MAGAts will cheer to the rooftops, so will many Canucks.

by Anonymousreply 111July 18, 2020 12:23 AM

Not many Canadians want to be Americans.

by Anonymousreply 112July 18, 2020 12:48 AM

Canadians are Americans R112. They are not US citizens as a rule.

by Anonymousreply 113July 18, 2020 12:50 AM

WTF is the appeal of a Vancouver, Canada?

Rude, soulless Chinese and Indians who only care about material possessions.

Weird, granola whites.

Rainy, cold weather.

High cost of living.

Ugly gay population.

Homeless. Druggies.

Limited direct flights to most international destinations.

Just jump off a bridge, OP.

by Anonymousreply 114July 18, 2020 1:06 AM

OP did jump of a bridge R114. He was resuscitated and now wants Vancouver. Poor fuck.

by Anonymousreply 115July 18, 2020 1:12 AM

Your first point is correct, R114.

However, I disagree with the others.

Vancouver is a beautiful city with beautiful people (who aren't chinese or indian).

by Anonymousreply 116July 18, 2020 2:08 AM

I live here and the gay scene is pretty dire unless you're a rice queen.

by Anonymousreply 117July 18, 2020 2:43 AM

there aint no closed border....

by Anonymousreply 118July 18, 2020 3:35 AM

If you're qualified under one of the 60 professions listed under the USMCA, OP, you can get a permit to work and live in Canada.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 18, 2020 4:25 AM

I moved from So. Cal to Vancouver in the 90s under the North America Free Trade Agreement, the pre-cursor to NAFTA. One option, if you're a citizen of the US or Mexico is to get a job offer for a position in Canada that falls under one of the categories listed in the new USMCA agreement. See link in previous post (scroll to middle of page for 3.8 Appendix 1603.D.1 – Professionals). There may be delays due to Covid-19, but the agreement is still in effect.

Vancouver is a beautiful city and I loved living there. I really miss my False Creek Condo and being able to walk to Granville Island. The thing to consider is that wages, in general, are roughly 20% lower than in the states. Money isn't everything, but you should think about what that means over the course of a career.

In my opinion, the overall quality of life is higher in Canada than in the US. But there are subtle cultural differences you will encounter that will require you to adjust.

by Anonymousreply 120July 18, 2020 4:47 AM

One of my fave citys anywhere, some of the hottest whores ive ever had....lads from the small towns skip into vancouver for $...n fun.

by Anonymousreply 121July 18, 2020 5:57 AM

I love Granville Island and the market there, R120!

You're lucky to have lived nearby.

What are the subtle cultural differences? I never really noticed any, but then again I've never lived there.

by Anonymousreply 122July 18, 2020 6:31 AM

r122 English Canada has a more homogeneous culture than the US. Same with French Canada (The "Two Solitudes"). With that come pros and cons. On the pro side, I felt a greater sense of belonging and connection with my neighbors and community than I do in the US, even though I was born in the states. On the con side, there is more (peer) pressure to conform. This isn't always a bad thing. In my experience, Canadians are more willing to think about the good of the whole, rather than just themselves. There were exceptions, of course, as with any place. The downside to this is harder to describe, but you get a sense of being held back or more often being told to "stay in your lane."

As a rather imperfect example, I would expect a larger majority of Americans would complain about drivers doing the speed limit in the fast lane on the freeway. In Canada, however, a lot of folks view it as their civic duty to keep everyone honest and observant. They aren't moving over to let you pass, regardless of how many others are backed up behind them. Speed limits are for the common good, after all. Right? :) Again, not everyone feels this way, but many do.

In the workplace, there was more stratification between managers and non-management employees. Totally understandable that those with more senior titles deserve respect, but there was more of a tendency for 'Management' to act in a rather arrogant or imperious manner, surprisingly, than what I've encountered in the US.

Otherwise, Canadians are, with very few exceptions, wonderful people. I treasure the life-long friends I made over the 10 years I lived there. We're lucky to have them as our Northern neighbors.

If you ever have an opportunity to work there that makes sense financially, do it!

by Anonymousreply 123July 18, 2020 7:37 AM

posts of more than 2 lines aint read honey..

by Anonymousreply 124July 18, 2020 10:18 AM

[quote]I moved from So. Cal to Vancouver in the 90s under the North America Free Trade Agreement, the pre-cursor to NAFTA.

What do you think NAFTA stands for? It IS the North American Free Trade Agreement.

by Anonymousreply 125July 18, 2020 12:11 PM

Thanks, R123.

Do you think that Canadian culture is closer to British culture, or American culture?

Or maybe a blend of both?

by Anonymousreply 126July 18, 2020 2:09 PM

Socially, British. Culturally, American.

by Anonymousreply 127July 18, 2020 3:35 PM

R123: Thanks for the feedback!

by Anonymousreply 128July 18, 2020 3:41 PM

r125, you're right. Prior to NAFTA, there was the US-Canada Free Trade Agreement.

by Anonymousreply 129July 18, 2020 4:06 PM

R123 I am an American living in Canada as my husband in a Canadian, and I agree with you. I have to say, after four years in Canada, I don't think I ever want to go back to the US. I've found that, on a whole, Canadians are more reserved than Americans and less likely to tell you what they really think about a given topic, which is actually very refreshing. Multiculturalism is a big thing here and wanting people to feel welcomed is very much part of the cultural fabric. There is far more diversity in workplaces and on executive boards than in America. That's not say racism, homophobia and all that stuff doesn't exist here, it certainly does and it rears its ugly head from time to time, but I've found Canadians are 'behind your back' or 'behind closed doors' about expressing prejudice. A friend of mine, who is also an American living in Toronto, jokes that the difference between Americans and Canadians is that Americans believe that not only do you have a right to an opinion but every opinion deserves to be heard, whereas in Canada think that yes, you have a right to an opinion but save it for your friends.

I also agree with R123 that Canadians tend to look at the collective whole over the individual to a slightly higher degree than Americans. For example, Canadians are super protective of their public health care system. Over the years, some conservative politicians have tried to privatize aspects of health care and have been met with major opposition. Canadians tend to be far more supportive of social programs and believe in more government intervention than Americans.

Politically, Canadians are far more centrist and less politically motivated than Americas. Yes, the same divisive right-wing rhetoric that's plaguing America has found it's way into Canada, and its disheartening, but there is a huge culture mistrust of politicians of all leanings. Unlike Americans who are raised to believe that the President is some kind of venerable figure, Canadians hate and mistrust all their politicians and generally vote for the party they believe is the least likely to get them all killed and who won't raise their taxes and destroy the health care system.

by Anonymousreply 130July 18, 2020 4:30 PM

Again, are there any reasonably priced areas to live in Vancouver?

It's actually quite a large city, so anywhere within a 15 minute drive from the City Center would be fine.

By the way, how is Canada handling the coronavirus situation? Are masks required? Social distancing?

by Anonymousreply 131July 18, 2020 5:05 PM

[quote] I can move to Vancouver from the US if I want to, and no one can stop me.

This is not going to end well for you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 132July 18, 2020 5:22 PM

R131 There is nowhere within 15 minutes of the core what is 'reasonably priced.' You would literally 45 minutes to an hour outside of the city, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 133July 18, 2020 5:30 PM

R133 Yup Vancouver and Toronto and ridiculously expensive . I know in Toronto people are moving as far out as Kitchener/Waterloo (over an hour drive away) for better rental rates. In Vancouver, Surrey is more affordable but it's also a dump.

by Anonymousreply 134July 18, 2020 5:49 PM

Surrey is far, R134!

Almost near the border with Washington state.

Might as well live in Blaine.

by Anonymousreply 135July 18, 2020 7:27 PM

[quote] There is far more diversity in workplaces and on executive boards than in America

The percentage of Blacks in Canada is less than 3%.

by Anonymousreply 136July 18, 2020 10:54 PM

Become a nanny .. or manny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 18, 2020 11:03 PM

R136> Not true for Toronto

by Anonymousreply 138July 18, 2020 11:08 PM

R136 & R138 Most of Canada's cultural diversity is in its major cities: Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, and Edmonton/Calgary (to a lesser extent). The rest of the country's medium sized cities have some diversity (particularly those with a university and/or community college) but remain very, very white. I live in the GTA and it's very diverse. My husband's parents live in Kitchener (and hour from Toronto) and it's very white, and my parents live in London, Ontario (about 2 hours from Toronto) which is almost exclusively white except for a small Asian population in the north near the university, and a growing Muslim population in the south end.

by Anonymousreply 139July 25, 2020 10:38 PM

R130, what does your friend think of Toronto?

Canadian here, born and bred, and I cannot stand Toronto. It is a cold town. Very insular. Can't wait to leave, but it's where the best work is. I know it sounds nuts to have lived here all these years but it wasn't til recently I actually understood it's not me, it's Toronto. Terrible, soulless town, in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 140July 25, 2020 10:45 PM

I keep trying to move to Canada myself to get with my hot hubby again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 25, 2020 10:53 PM

R140 Anywhere there are large immigrant communities, especially Asians and Middle Easterners that will be the case.

They are driven to work work work for more more more.

Any major West Coast city is like ths, except for Portland because there are no decent jobs there.

Set yourself up to one day soon get off the workaholic train. Your job won't even miss you for a day.

by Anonymousreply 142July 25, 2020 11:09 PM

so how can an american go to vancouver?

by Anonymousreply 143July 27, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote]As a rather imperfect example, I would expect a larger majority of Americans would complain about drivers doing the speed limit in the fast lane on the freeway. In Canada, however, a lot of folks view it as their civic duty to keep everyone honest and observant. They aren't moving over to let you pass, regardless of how many others are backed up behind them. Speed limits are for the common good, after all. Right? :) Again, not everyone feels this way, but many do.

No, a lot of people up here consider these people assholes (breaking the law, by the way) and deserve to be run off the road.

by Anonymousreply 144July 27, 2020 3:31 PM

What's the weather like in Vancouver?

It seems very pleasant.

Not too hot, and not too cold.

by Anonymousreply 145July 31, 2020 7:18 PM

^^^ American logic

Coronavirus is like flu, right?

It's called reading and facts.

No wonder this country is a mess

by Anonymousreply 146July 31, 2020 7:46 PM

[quote] What's the weather like in Vancouver?

Rain Rain Rain and more Rain

by Anonymousreply 147August 1, 2020 12:49 AM

Summer in the lower mainland: actual paradise. Warm, sunny, not humid. Every Other Season in the lower mainland: rain. rain, rain, rain, more rain, and some rain.

*also applies to the Island/Gulf Islands

by Anonymousreply 148August 1, 2020 3:42 AM

[quote]Americans, Go Home: Canadians Track U.S. Boaters Sneaking Across The Border

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 3, 2020 5:30 AM

There is something about Canadians that is boring and uptight. Vancouver is beautiful. I spent a week there 2 years ago just to get because I hadn't been. In the winter, it was freezing cold and pouring rain every day. Like everyone said, it's very Asian and the architecture is just tons of glass condo high-rises. The gay district (like a block) was actually pretty fun. I am not a rice queen and met a lot of nice, cute guys. The gay scene definitely has a low key, friendly vibe. Lots of good sex. They have a beautiful rainforest. They did not have Uber (maybe some Asian version like a poster mentioned) in fall/winter 2018 - only yellow cabs. They are easy to get but not as convenient as Lyft/Uber. Everyone talks about the homeless, but it's pretty contained to the part of town with the weed cafes. Im from LA and was living in SF at the time - Vancouver is sparkling clean and practically free of homelessness by comparison. I looked at leases and you can get a small 1BR or nice studio for around $1800-$2000.

by Anonymousreply 150August 3, 2020 7:08 AM

HAHA about Vancouver being freezing cold in winter. It’s balmy compared to most Canadian cities in winter.

by Anonymousreply 151August 3, 2020 7:39 AM

Rent is not affordable and you are not welcome as a USian.

by Anonymousreply 152August 3, 2020 9:27 AM

Vancouver? Are you behind the camera personnel that wants to work for less or do you enjoy heroin and/or meth?

Possibly all of the above?

by Anonymousreply 153August 3, 2020 9:30 AM

[quote] It’s balmy compared to most Canadian cities in winter.

Lol. That's like saying Death Valley in the middle of August is cold compared to Hades.

by Anonymousreply 154August 3, 2020 1:12 PM

We moved from there.

by Anonymousreply 155August 3, 2020 1:33 PM

[quote] I looked at leases and you can get a small 1BR or nice studio for around $1800-$2000.

American or Canadian dollars?

In any case, that it still ridiculously expensive.

by Anonymousreply 156August 3, 2020 5:20 PM

Vancouver isn't all bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157August 28, 2020 5:56 PM

R156: That’s cheap if you’re moving from NYC, LA or SF.

by Anonymousreply 158August 28, 2020 10:04 PM

how do usa folks get around the law and move there?

by Anonymousreply 159August 30, 2020 11:09 PM

There are no work-arounds, they find you sooner or later and send you back.

by Anonymousreply 160August 31, 2020 12:30 AM

[quote] they find you sooner or later and send you back.

That's it? A free ride back? So you have nothing to lose

by Anonymousreply 161August 31, 2020 12:48 AM

If you are an American squatting in Canada, are we still entitled to health care if there is an emergency?

by Anonymousreply 162August 31, 2020 12:58 AM

i can marry my friend up there ha ha

by Anonymousreply 163August 31, 2020 3:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!