Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Search Party on TBS

Has there ever been a more unattractive cast and lead?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 10, 2022 8:25 PM

Also on HBO, originally.

by Anonymousreply 1July 2, 2020 12:07 PM

Gross! And this is on season four now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 2, 2020 12:08 PM

But the writing is really good.

by Anonymousreply 3July 2, 2020 12:08 PM

Ew!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 2, 2020 12:11 PM

The first season was interesting and entertaining. The second season was terrible. And the third season is forgettable.

It's funny to me that Alia Shawkat is referred to as "beautiful" many times in Season 3. She's not ugly and not unattractive but I don't think that the first or even third thing that pops into a person's head when they encounter her is "She's so beautiful."

The producers must hate gays since all of the gay characters are hateful cartoons.

by Anonymousreply 5July 2, 2020 12:32 PM

Stranger Things cast was fug except for the hot daddy and that other young one.

by Anonymousreply 6July 2, 2020 12:38 PM

I didn't realize there was a third season.

I saw 1 & 2 within the past year and enjoyed it because the characters are so profoundly idiotic and unlikable.

I find John Reynolds (the actor playing straight guy) weirdly attractive in a nerdy way, even though the character is a whiny worm of a guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 2, 2020 12:49 PM

Barf!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 2, 2020 7:43 PM

Why??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 2, 2020 8:11 PM

This season was very surprising with the places they go with Dory (Shawkat's character). I really liked this season because the character's feet were really set to the fire and made to realize their terrible ways.

by Anonymousreply 10July 2, 2020 8:16 PM

Were they actually set on fire?

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2020 5:53 PM

I love this show. I think it is well written and acted, and they do a good job of making you invested in characters that are pretty unlikeable. Well, except for Chantal, she is just awful, and I want bad things to happen to her.

That being said, it really bugged me that they were tried in New York for a murder that occurred in Canada. Shouldn't they have been extradited and tried in Montreal since that's where the killing occurred, and the the body discovered?

It was also clearly self defense/defense of others, and if they had just called the cops after killing him, the whole thing would have gone away.

Of course, if they had done that, there wouldn't be a show.

by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2020 4:04 PM

I love this show too. It’s darker this season, but it’s always been dark funny and absurd.

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2020 4:07 PM

Alia is the granddaughter of Paul Burke aka Lyon Burke in VOTD.

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2020 4:08 PM

I like Jeffrey Self (Marc).

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2020 4:24 PM

She is one of the few heavily freckled adults in Hollywood. It's rare enough for heavy freckles to be retained into adulthood, but you almost never see an actor with them.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2020 4:30 PM

r16 she can have the freckles, but she is still odd-looking without them.

by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2020 1:28 AM

I like the blond guy's character on Bob's Burgers, Dame Judy Brunch.

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2020 1:32 AM

I'm also a fan of the show. Just saw season 3. It's meant to have dark and surreal comedy, and that's why almost all the characters major and minor are over the top caricatures. Physically, the show did a good job of picking actors who have unconventional looks to say the least.

The characters' behaviors are also meant to be a commentary on millennials, specifically, vapid, self-absorbed, and immature thought processes channeled through Brooklyn hipsters.

Season 1 explicitly has Dory state how she feels lost and purposeless with what she's supposed to do in life. Sound familiar?

90% of the crap on Netflix I could put on as background noise while I do chores. But this show makes me want to watch the characters even if they are unlikable and see how the story will unfold.

by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2020 2:36 AM

R19 did you like Seinfeld?

I'm curious because that show had all unlikeable characters too, which is why I never got into it.

by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2020 2:38 AM

R20 funny you ask that.... I'm a bit too young for when Seinfeld was a thing in the 90's so never got into it, but I had a coworker who would reenact certain scenes and they seemed funny to me! Like the lady who had man hands and the dad who would make pizza without washing his hands.

Never saw Curb Your Enthusiasm either, but I think I would l like it.

by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2020 2:43 AM

I watched the original season when it aired...haven’t caught up with anything after that. I thought it quite clever. Certainly far better than Girls...if you want to talk about an ugly cast!

by Anonymousreply 22July 5, 2020 2:47 AM

It might be decency bias but I really feel like this was the best season so far. It is absurdist and heightened, but the archetypes they’re drawing on are so true. I went to college with all of these types, and even if the surface is exaggerated (not by much), the pathos beneath is so richly observed.

I went to school east coast Canada, which is much more influenced by hipster culture and east coast US. my latino husband from LA just doesn’t seem to connect to it the same way, and I think you have to known these people to appreciate how on point it is.

by Anonymousreply 23July 5, 2020 3:18 AM

I was also bewildered that Dory is repeatedly referred to as beautiful is season 3 because I find Alia Shawkat to be pretty unattractive. That being said, she's supposedly dating Brad Pitt so maybe straight guys find her hot?

by Anonymousreply 24July 5, 2020 3:28 AM

I like that Shawkat lady but man is she ugly.

by Anonymousreply 25July 5, 2020 3:30 AM

I think these things are relative. In Murder trials the media does tend to exaggerate the attractiveness of defendant if they are at all average or slightly above. It felt true to me

by Anonymousreply 26July 5, 2020 3:43 AM

I don't find her ugly per se, just not a conventional female beauty. I was then going to ask "Come on guys, is she really that ugly" and have a linked picture below to prove she can be beautiful......but I couldn't find a good picture......

by Anonymousreply 27July 5, 2020 3:51 AM

She looked good in that red dress she was wearing on the ferry when she murdered the crazy downstairs neighbor, and in her mugshot.

by Anonymousreply 28July 5, 2020 3:55 AM

R28 The style is VERY deliberate on the show and is supposed to represent their personalities. Matthew Simonelli is the costume designer and describes that eye-catching red dress:

"Dory’s style seems to be defined by a series of cool finds; Simonelli found the red floral ’80s vintage dress Dory wears in the final episode on the Etsy shop Harlow’s Vintage. He says it’s one of his favorites because “it says so much about where Dory is headed and really cements the noir vibe.” "

As for the rest of the Search Party crew, it’s likely that we could run into Julian (Brandon Micheal Hall) at Cos, Elliott at Opening Ceremony or Totokaelo, Portia at What Comes Around Goes Around (or surfing Moda Operandi), and Drew at J.Crew or Brooks Brothers.

I took a look at Totokaelo and the clothes is a bit out there.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 5, 2020 4:01 AM

(Search Party, S03E07) The two gay wedding planners are hilarious!

"I hate her." "I wish you could still hit women."

I'm surprised you can even SAY that on TV these days.

by Anonymousreply 30July 5, 2020 4:08 PM

One of the great strengths of the show is how funny and specific all the tertiary characters are. Even the judge with very few lines gets a bit about hypoglycemia or whatever so he can have some funny business and a backstory

by Anonymousreply 31July 5, 2020 4:59 PM

One of the great strengths of the show is how funny and specific all the tertiary characters are. Even the judge with very few lines gets a bit about hypoglycemia or whatever so he can have some funny business and a backstory

by Anonymousreply 32July 5, 2020 4:59 PM

"The style is VERY deliberate on the show and is supposed to represent their personalities."

The Elliott character wore a blazer to his wedding that had ribbons on it and a depiction of a man riding a rooster/cock.

Are sex-obsessed gays still funny in 2020?

by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2020 3:47 PM

She looks pretty at r7. And she has a big rack.

"Pretty" to gay men and to women is its own thing, separate from the str8 male gaze.

by Anonymousreply 34July 8, 2020 4:51 PM

I loved the exchanges between Dory’s lawyer and the prosecutor. That cracked me up.

Found the cliff hanger really uncomfortably dark tho.

by Anonymousreply 35July 8, 2020 5:09 PM

R35, yea I thought it didn't make sense. I thought there was a small scene where Drew takes a call and it's said the stalker is dead. Even in the absurdly fictional world of Search Party, that seems like a stretch that a hospital can't tell the difference between alive or dead.

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2020 9:38 PM

R36 that threw me too, but thinking back on the scene — did we hear the other end of the call, or just what Drew told us?

by Anonymousreply 37July 10, 2020 5:33 PM

R37 DUN DUN DUN! But seriously, what would have been his motivation to do that? Everything in this show that they show seems pretty deliberate. Why the red herring but without a rationale? unless he was mad at Dory, which I believe he was at the time.

by Anonymousreply 38July 10, 2020 6:24 PM

The first three episodes of Season 4 are available on HBO Max. It's rare that show gets better as the seasons roll on, but this one does.

by Anonymousreply 39January 20, 2021 6:49 PM

Are the obnoxious gay characters played by actual gay men?

by Anonymousreply 40January 20, 2021 6:55 PM

I love this show.

by Anonymousreply 41January 20, 2021 7:09 PM

[quote]Are the obnoxious gay characters played by actual gay men?

Yes, John Early, Jeffery Self, Drew Droege and Sam Pancake (as the wedding planners) are all out gay men.

Sam Pancake calls for respect for eldgergays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 20, 2021 7:20 PM

Shawcat is most definitely ugly when she styles herself most of the time. She’s also too heavy and what is that boy haircut with curls and no styling other than self-conscious hipster? Ugh watch duck butter with her that heavy, plus unshowered and full hipster dirty wrinkled tee shirt as she fucks another ugly woman

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2021 7:30 PM

Holy shit, this series is hysterical. Granted I’m only on episode 3 of the first season, but it is written and acted brilliantly. Everyone is hysterically funny. The timing and delivery is pitch perfect.

And the gays are appropriately superficial and vapid. It’s everything I hate about Brooklyn millennials, skewered to perfection.

by Anonymousreply 44January 22, 2021 6:55 AM

Excellent show

by Anonymousreply 45January 22, 2021 7:07 AM

One of my former coworkers is in this show. Wow! He usually posts on social media when he’s in something new, but I guess I missed this one. Granted, there was a lot going on, nationally, around this time 4 years ago when the series started.

by Anonymousreply 46January 22, 2021 7:29 AM

Wow glad y'all bumped this thread, because I was going to start a "Search Party" threat right now if I couldn't find one.

I am a John Early fanatic (Elliot). I love everything he does. If you don't know his other work, you are missing out. I'd burned through basically everything of his that's on Youtube so I started "Search Party" tonight to get a John Early fix. Had no idea what it was going to be about. And it hooked me from the first five minutes.

I loved Alia Shawkat as Maybe in Arrested Development (until season 5, which was a crime against humanity). I personally think she is adorable, sorry not sorry. I'm at Ep. 8 of Season 1. I think this is a brilliant show. I love the slow drip of clues. There's enough comic relief to balance out the darker elements and make it kind of delicious. I also love the actors who show up like Parker Posey and Ron Livingston. Glad I took the time to check this show out, because I don't get involved in series very often as they are such a time suck. I don't feel restless watching this show. I'm totally riveted.

And again, louder this time for the back row: John Early is a FANTASTICALLY funny person. Watch his episode of "The Characters" on Netflix. Watch some of his clips with Kate Berland on youtube. And below, check out this character of his called "Vicky with a V" who is a southern Christian mom and stand up comedian. OMG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 30, 2021 5:27 AM

[quote] Yes, John Early, Jeffery Self, Drew Droege and Sam Pancake (as the wedding planners) are all out gay men.

This one too - he plays one of Drew’s brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 30, 2021 6:02 AM

[quote] I find John Reynolds (the actor playing straight guy) weirdly attractive in a nerdy way,

I’m totally with you there. Love him in this and in “Save Yourselves”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 30, 2021 8:56 PM

John Early has to be one of my favorite characters. So self-absorbed in a funny/hilarious kind of way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 31, 2021 10:50 PM

John Reynolds is so hot...even though this season he looks a little heavier.

by Anonymousreply 51January 31, 2021 10:55 PM

I think it's funny that John Reynolds has all these women hitting on him. He seems very tall, like he's 6 ft 3?

SPOILERS:

The 2nd to last season where he confesses to his family and the Cinderella lady that he's addicted to Dory is so funny.

by Anonymousreply 52January 31, 2021 11:02 PM

I meant the episode before recent finale.

What did anyone think about the recent finale? I sincerely thought that was the end of the series.

by Anonymousreply 53January 31, 2021 11:03 PM

We pancaked Keith!

by Anonymousreply 54January 31, 2021 11:11 PM

Alia is a friend of mine. I'll let her know some queen with a keyboard thinks she's ugly, OP. She'll love it.

by Anonymousreply 55January 31, 2021 11:16 PM

Tell her we admire her big tits that she nearly showed off this season.

by Anonymousreply 56January 31, 2021 11:23 PM

Really, R55? What was the deal with her and Brad Pitt last year? I think she can be a hot when she dresses up. That bosom seems to be all her.

I think it's cool that Pitt was hanging around her.

by Anonymousreply 57January 31, 2021 11:23 PM

I love this series. Nothing else quite like it out there.

by Anonymousreply 58January 31, 2021 11:27 PM

I've never seen a show where the word twink was used so frequently. This series must be written by someone on DL.

by Anonymousreply 59January 31, 2021 11:31 PM

The actress who plays Portia reminds me of Goldie Hawn. I guess her husband thinks so too.

by Anonymousreply 60February 1, 2021 2:49 AM

R55 unless you are Helen Keller, you should tell her she's ugly, too! Like, offensively so!

by Anonymousreply 61February 1, 2021 3:01 AM

This was her once.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 1, 2021 3:41 AM

Dory has had, I think, the most interesting character arc I’ve seen on TV in recent times. I find it to be a such a compelling performance. Even though many of the other characters are more obviously attention-grabbing by design, for me her performance is the most surprising and watchable of all of them.

by Anonymousreply 63February 1, 2021 7:40 AM

R52 that poor thing. Was she in a car accident?

by Anonymousreply 64February 1, 2021 2:40 PM

R64 She got run over by the ugly bus.

by Anonymousreply 65February 5, 2021 3:18 AM

She’s beyond hideous and not a nice person IRL either. She never fucked Brad Pitt, she was allegedly his alcohol sponsor. I’d eat my own foot if he ever put his cock inside her dirty nasty vage. He had Angelina in her most stunning (2005-2007) This guys not going near ‘Maybe’ from Arrested Development when he’s sober. I love AD but always hated her face when she was on screen. The weird Brillo hair and freckles like a Jackson Pollack painting are FUG central. This new show is unwatchable because of her.

by Anonymousreply 66February 5, 2021 3:47 AM

Renewed for a fifth season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 9, 2021 9:02 PM

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 68February 9, 2021 11:14 PM

Will season five be the search for Susan Sarandon and the twink?

by Anonymousreply 69February 10, 2021 12:39 AM

I’m a bit trepidatious for those of you posting love from the first season vantage point. I love this show and am totally along for the ride but it could not be more different by season 4.

by Anonymousreply 70April 4, 2021 1:02 PM

John Reynolds is a tall hairy drink of water. Love him, love this show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 4, 2021 2:43 PM

John Reynolds is my dream guy; I have such a crush on him. I love lanky bespectacled types. And the hairy chest - omg.

The show has some of the ugliest gay men in prominent roles and some super-cuties in tertiary parts.

Charlie Covey (mentioned above; Drew's brother) and Harold Eric (below; one of Portia's churchmates) are adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 11, 2021 8:53 AM

The cast of Stranger Things was uglier.

by Anonymousreply 73April 11, 2021 9:37 AM

The writers got in a few digs at Alia during the American Hour interview, when the interviewer read off some of the things Dory had been called online: "Freckle-Faced Freak Show" and "The Clown-Hair Killer."

by Anonymousreply 74April 11, 2021 9:42 AM

The dossier the DA character has on Drew says he's six-foot-five.

John Reynolds looks six-five.

Like the woman on their parody of the View says, I want to climb him like a tree and slide down.

by Anonymousreply 75April 11, 2021 10:32 AM

Looks like Season 5 will be the last?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 21, 2021 7:23 PM

[quote] John Early has to be one of my favorite characters. So self-absorbed in a funny/hilarious kind of way.

John Early has the ability to play very unlikable characters while still making them likable. Not easy to do!!

by Anonymousreply 77September 14, 2021 2:28 PM

I’m excited for the new season!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 29, 2021 8:46 PM

R74 AND EVERYONE ELSE!

Did no one notice that Diana Fontaine, interviewer from American Hour, was '70s Darling Annette O'Toole?

I love the scathing references to "hipsters"!

by Anonymousreply 79February 18, 2022 5:36 PM

I don't know anything about Search Party on TBS.

But if you started a thread about Search Party, the show that was on E! twenty years ago, we could talk about the handsome Scott Lasky and how he was constantly shirtless on the show. What has he been up to lately? Are there any nude photos of him, or any gay rumors?

This would be much more interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 18, 2022 5:54 PM

*BUMP*

by Anonymousreply 81May 10, 2022 4:59 PM

[quote] It's funny to me that Alia Shawkat is referred to as "beautiful" many times in Season 3.

I would have agreed with you now but not that long ago she looked very pretty and interesting. It's as if she deliberately uglified herself as some political statement. I guess it was easier not to worry about keeping the weight off. Weight and a butch hairdo can be detractors. I hope this wasn't some psychological response to ensuring men not as interested in her. She reminds me of an Anna Magnani

by Anonymousreply 82May 10, 2022 5:20 PM

The buzz cut was for the show. During Season 4 her character went through some harrowing experiences that involved having all of her hair chopped off. Alia grew her hair back out after that season wrapped, and is all totes adorbs again for season 5. She is very adorable with her curly hair.

by Anonymousreply 83May 10, 2022 6:46 PM

She's been uglifying herself before this show existed. I think she can't or doesn't want to keep the weight off - which ages people terribly - and the styling fits with her bi/lesbian self.

by Anonymousreply 84May 10, 2022 8:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!