Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has anyone here ever met Marsha P. Johnson?

Know any good stories?

I'm just learning about her from the Google banner on the search page, and had no idea who she was.

She seemed like such a bright soul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 10, 2020 6:43 PM

She's smiling broadly in every picture I googled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2020 3:01 PM

Miss Johnson really did love her flowers and other "accoutrements."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2020 3:03 PM

Junkie Grifter turned Deity.

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2020 3:07 PM

The google banner

๐—ง๐—ต๐—ถ๐˜€ ๐—ฃ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ ๐— ๐—ผ๐—ป๐˜๐—ต ๐˜„๐—ฒ ๐—ต๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—•๐—น๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ธ ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜€ ๐˜„๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐—Ÿ๐—š๐—•๐—ง๐—ค+ ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ผ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—น๐—ผ๐—ฟ

Back of the bus for everybody else I guess

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2020 3:07 PM

Pride Month: Who was Marsha P. Johnson and why was she so important?

June is Pride Month, where people all over the world come together to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community and raise awareness for inequalities that still stand today.

But this year, the global Black Lives Matter anti-racism protests have encouraged people to shine a special light on the impact of black gay and trans activists.

One person you may have heard about in recent days is Marsha P. Johnson.

She was a trans-rights activist who played a big role in important moments for the LGBTQ+ movement, such as the Stonewall protests.

Marsha P. Johnson was an African-American self-identified drag queen from New Jersey, whose activism in the 1960's and 70's, had huge impact on the LGBTQ+ community.

At this time, being gay was classified as a mental illness in the United States. Gay people were regularly threatened and beaten by police, and were shunned by many in society.

Marsha said the "P" in her name stood for "Pay it no mind" - a phrase she used when people commented negatively on her appearance or life choices.

In June 1969, when Marsha was 23 years old, police raided a gay bar in New York called The Stonewall Inn.

The police forced over 200 people out of the bar and onto the streets, and then used excessive violence against them.

In 2019, the head of New York's Police Department apologised for their actions, saying, "the actions taken by the NYPD were wrong."

Marsha, who was living and working in New York at the time, was one of the key figures who stood up to the police during the raids.

She resisted arrest, but in the following days, led a series of protests and riots demanding rights for gay people.

Much like the recent Black Lives Matter marches in the United States, news of these protests spread around the world, inspiring others to join protests and rights groups to fight for equality.

A month after the protests, the first openly gay march took place in New York - a pivotal moment for the gay and trans community everywhere.

Even though the Stonewall riots kick-started this wave of support for the LGBTQ+ community, there was still a lot of discrimination against them.

It was common for young gay and trans people to be kicked out of their family homes by their parents.

Marsha and her friend Sylvia Rivera, who was also an activist , founded STAR - Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries - an organisation to support gay and trans individuals who had been left homeless.

Marsha dedicated much of her life to helping others, despite suffering several mental health issues herself.

She was nicknamed the "Saint of Christopher Street" (where the Stonewall Inn is located), because she was known for her generosity towards people in New York's LGBTQ+ community.

Sadly, Marsha died in 1992. She went missing and police found her body after six days.

Police said she had taken her own life, but many friends argued this ruling at the time, saying attacks on gay and trans people were common.

Others said they saw her being harassed by a group of "thugs" a few days before she died.

Twenty years later, in 2012, campaigner Mariah Lopez was successful in getting the New York police department to reopen Marsha's case as a possible murder.

After the NYPD reopened the case, the police reclassified Johnson's cause of death from "suicide" to undetermined.

Marsha's legacy lives on today in organisations such as the Marsha P. Johnson Institute, which says it "protects and defends the human rights of BLACK transgender people".

In February 2020, the Mayor of New York renamed the East River State Park in Brooklyn, The Marsha P. Johnson State Park and announced there will be a statue created in her honour, to be unveiled in 2021.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2020 3:08 PM

Pride Month: Who was Marsha P. Johnson and why was she so important?

June is Pride Month, where people all over the world come together to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community and raise awareness for inequalities that still stand today.

But this year, the global Black Lives Matter anti-racism protests have encouraged people to shine a special light on the impact of black gay and trans activists.

One person you may have heard about in recent days is Marsha P. Johnson.

She was a trans-rights activist who played a big role in important moments for the LGBTQ+ movement, such as the Stonewall protests.

Marsha P. Johnson was an African-American self-identified drag queen from New Jersey, whose activism in the 1960's and 70's, had huge impact on the LGBTQ+ community.

At this time, being gay was classified as a mental illness in the United States. Gay people were regularly threatened and beaten by police, and were shunned by many in society.

Marsha said the "P" in her name stood for "Pay it no mind" - a phrase she used when people commented negatively on her appearance or life choices.

In June 1969, when Marsha was 23 years old, police raided a gay bar in New York called The Stonewall Inn.

The police forced over 200 people out of the bar and onto the streets, and then used excessive violence against them.

In 2019, the head of New York's Police Department apologised for their actions, saying, "the actions taken by the NYPD were wrong."

Marsha, who was living and working in New York at the time, was one of the key figures who stood up to the police during the raids.

She resisted arrest, but in the following days, led a series of protests and riots demanding rights for gay people.

Much like the recent Black Lives Matter marches in the United States, news of these protests spread around the world, inspiring others to join protests and rights groups to fight for equality.

A month after the protests, the first openly gay march took place in New York - a pivotal moment for the gay and trans community everywhere.

Even though the Stonewall riots kick-started this wave of support for the LGBTQ+ community, there was still a lot of discrimination against them.

It was common for young gay and trans people to be kicked out of their family homes by their parents.

Marsha and her friend Sylvia Rivera, who was also an activist , founded STAR - Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries - an organisation to support gay and trans individuals who had been left homeless.

Marsha dedicated much of her life to helping others, despite suffering several mental health issues herself.

She was nicknamed the "Saint of Christopher Street" (where the Stonewall Inn is located), because she was known for her generosity towards people in New York's LGBTQ+ community.

Sadly, Marsha died in 1992. She went missing and police found her body after six days.

Police said she had taken her own life, but many friends argued this ruling at the time, saying attacks on gay and trans people were common.

Others said they saw her being harassed by a group of "thugs" a few days before she died.

Twenty years later, in 2012, campaigner Mariah Lopez was successful in getting the New York police department to reopen Marsha's case as a possible murder.

After the NYPD reopened the case, the police reclassified Johnson's cause of death from "suicide" to undetermined.

Marsha's legacy lives on today in organisations such as the Marsha P. Johnson Institute, which says it "protects and defends the human rights of BLACK transgender people".

In February 2020, the Mayor of New York renamed the East River State Park in Brooklyn, The Marsha P. Johnson State Park and announced there will be a statue created in her honour, to be unveiled in 2021.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2020 3:08 PM

[quote] The google banner

[quote] ๐—ง๐—ต๐—ถ๐˜€ ๐—ฃ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ ๐— ๐—ผ๐—ป๐˜๐—ต ๐˜„๐—ฒ ๐—ต๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—•๐—น๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ธ ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜€ ๐˜„๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐—Ÿ๐—š๐—•๐—ง๐—ค+ ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ผ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—น๐—ผ๐—ฟ

You know the funny thing about this is that I'll bet 100 bucks that "Marsha" herself would have identified as gay, and not trans.

by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2020 3:10 PM

R7, She identified as a drag queen. She was a complex person. Great in small doses. Always cheerful and positive... when she wasn't a fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 8June 30, 2020 3:17 PM

[quote]A month after the protests, the first openly gay march took place in New York

I thought it was a [italic]year[/italic] later. Even Dr. Eric, who would waste no opportunity to make Marsha seem bigger, better, or brighter, acknowledges 1970 as the year of the first Christopher Street Liberation Day Parade.

by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2020 3:20 PM

I used to see her at Gay Pride in late 80's and around the village occasionally. She was a very positive, smiling, upbeat personality. I never heard anything bad about her. And she was honest about coming to Stonewall late.

I lived in WV when Marsha's body was found - there was a large march for her, so a lot of people had positive memories of her.

Sylvia Rivera, however, was a nasty, aggressive, attention-seeking bitch. And she wasn't at Stonewall.

I hate that the two of them are intertwined together and Sylvia's profile has been uplifted by association.

by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2020 3:33 PM

R10 Sad that these militant trannies are ruining Marshaโ€™s legacy by lying about what she was obviously too honest to lie about herself.

by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2020 3:38 PM

R10 I haven't run across Sylvia's name (yet) in connection with Marsha, but I have come across someone named Randy Wicker.

Any stories about him? He was cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2020 3:41 PM

Love this photo.

Damn, those days must have been a blast.

When it was actually fun to live in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2020 3:43 PM

Marsha identified as a man and he states so in his last interview days before he died.

by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2020 3:44 PM

I'm glad you posted that R14, because that would have been my guess.

So why are trans activists claiming him as their own?

He liked to dress as a woman, but that didn't make him a woman.

by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2020 3:45 PM

R13 yeah and risk death from AIDS or a throat slash or being pushed in front of a subway car. A real blast.

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2020 3:46 PM

because Trans activist are spreading propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2020 3:48 PM

She identified as several things, and you can see her refer to herself as a gay man, a gay woman, a drag queen, and other labels. There just weren't any hard-and-fast labels for trans/drag queen/crossdressers at the time and many who identified as some variant of trans were fluid, anyway. Anyone who tries to tell you that she absolutely identified in one single way (like r14) is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2020 3:50 PM

Marsha would be the very definition of a gender non-conforming person, but not trans. However, he makes a clear he sees himself as a man.

And as Marsha stated in that last interview, Sylvia and him were not even there when the riots started.

by Anonymousreply 19June 30, 2020 3:52 PM

You're right, R10.

As I'm searching through photos of Marsha, I'm starting to see photos of Sylvia pop up a lot more. Side-by-side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2020 3:55 PM

I think the Ts will just say now in defense of her admitting to not being at the riot โ€œWell sheโ€™s an icon now so thatโ€™s it.โ€

by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2020 3:58 PM

I keep hearing Marsha said this or that but are there any links to these interviews. I don't doubt their veracity but I need the source as backup evidence.

by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2020 4:01 PM

R13's pics shows the stark difference between MPJ and Sylvia. Marsha was always smiling and open. Sylvia had this constant scowl.

by Anonymousreply 23June 30, 2020 4:01 PM

The best part of Marsha is all the artwork to come out of her photos.

She had a face that was perfect for artwork.

I'm fascinated by it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 30, 2020 4:05 PM

Born Malcolm Michaels Jr.

Very handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 30, 2020 4:06 PM

R22 , just google her interviews. Someone gave out a lot of links in one of the Black Lies Mater threads just a fw weeks ago. Also, the old Documentary was on Netflix not that long ago.

by Anonymousreply 26June 30, 2020 4:09 PM

Should the words "stunning" and "brave" leap to mind?

by Anonymousreply 27June 30, 2020 4:12 PM

[quote] Johnson initially used the moniker "Black Marsha" but later decided on the drag queen name "Marsha P. Johnson", getting Johnson from the restaurant Howard Johnson's on 42nd Street, stating that the P stood for "pay it no mind" and used the phrase sarcastically when questioned about gender, saying "it stands for pay it no mind". Johnson said the phrase once to a judge, who was humored by it, leading to Johnson's release. Johnson variably identified as gay, as a transvestite, and as a queen (referring to drag queen). According to Susan Stryker, a professor of human gender and sexuality studies at the University of Arizona, Johnson's gender expression could perhaps most accurately be called gender non-conforming; Johnson never self-identified with the term transgender, but the term was also not in broad use while Johnson was alive.

[quote] Johnson's style of drag was not serious ("high drag" or "show drag") due to being unable to afford to purchase clothing from expensive stores. Johnson received leftover flowers after sleeping under tables used for sorting flowers in the Flower District of Manhattan, and was known for wearing crowns of fresh flowers. Johnson was tall, slender and often dressed in flowing robes and shiny dresses, red plastic high heels and bright wigs, which tended to draw attention. As Edmund White writes in his 1979 Village Voice article, "The Politics of Drag" Johnson also liked dressing in ways that would display "the interstice between masculine and feminine". A feature photo of Johnson in this article shows Johnson in a flowing wig and makeup, and a translucent shirt, pants and parka - highlighting the ways that, quoting Kate Millett's Sexual Politics, White says, "she is both masculine and feminine at once."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 30, 2020 4:17 PM

r22 From Eric Marcus' interview with Martha:

[quote]Marsha P. Johnson: The way I winded up being at Stonewall that night, I was having a party uptown. And I didnโ€™t get downtown until about two oโ€™clock. And we were all out there and Miss Sylvia Rivera and them were over in the park having a cocktail.

[quote]Cuz when I got downtown the place was already on fire and it was a raid already. The riots had already started. And they said the police went in there and set the place on fire. They said the police set it on fire because they originally wanted the Stonewall to close, so they had several raids.

She was there eventually, after a party uptown. Not in time to throw the first brick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 30, 2020 5:29 PM

[quote] Miss Sylvia Rivera and them were over in the park having a cocktail

Lol.. is that code for something?

Who has a "cocktail" in the park?

by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2020 5:45 PM

Netflix has a nice documentary on her life

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2020 6:13 PM

R1 isn't it because she's drunk in every pic?

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2020 6:19 PM

R30 I think they were prostitutes too.

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2020 6:20 PM

Since she's talking about Central Park, r30, yes, she probably did mean the Ramble.

by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2020 6:24 PM

It was Marsha who discovered the cure for polio in her studio apartment kitchenette.

She also found the Dead Sea Scrolls and was the one who pulled Baby Jessica from the well.

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2020 6:44 PM

Marsha was sitting behind Rosa Parks on that bus and told her not to move.

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2020 6:46 PM

Marsha told Lincoln it might be a good idea to end slavery.

Boy, was she wrong.

by Anonymousreply 37June 30, 2020 6:47 PM

I don't know who Marsha P. Johnson was, but she does seem to trigger the old, white, racist baby boomer queens here, and for that and that alone, I am eternally grateful to her.

by Anonymousreply 38June 30, 2020 6:53 PM

Marsha saved me 15% on my Geico car insurance.

by Anonymousreply 39June 30, 2020 6:57 PM

Go back to Tumblr, R18.

by Anonymousreply 40June 30, 2020 6:59 PM

Marsha got Quincy Jones to give me a solo in โ€œWE ARE THE WORLD โ€œ

โ€œWHEN WEโ€โ€

Thanks MPJ!!!!

by Anonymousreply 41June 30, 2020 7:00 PM

Marsha was actually the first man on the moon. She was edited out of the footage later because of literal violence.

by Anonymousreply 42June 30, 2020 7:04 PM

Marsha invented Liquid Paper. She was the cleaning lady in the office where Mike Nesmith's mother worked. The Monkee's mother appropriated Johnson's formula and well, the rest is history. Herstory?

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2020 7:06 PM

Nope

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 30, 2020 7:06 PM

A lovely woman who was very active in her community and participated in activism on the regular. Unfortunately she's become to poster child for the erasure of gay men from their own fucking community, which sucks, but outside of what horrible people have done in her name after her untimely death she was a beautiful, strong person and a credit to the community and movement.

by Anonymousreply 45June 30, 2020 7:11 PM

Thank you R29. This is an important interview.

How are people so brainwashed as to blatantly ignored facts is beyond me. I have to believe the lack of prolific gay icons is making people turn to anything. You would think people like Harvey Milk or Edie Windsor would be venerated over people that might have been allies but not important figures of the gay movement.

by Anonymousreply 46June 30, 2020 7:12 PM

I will say that I'm kind of enjoying how gays are reacting to the erasure of ourselves from the community. We've basically broken off and formed our own little community consisting of nothing but gay men. As things like Pride are becoming more and more homophobic towards gay men and as the community is trying to exclude us we've decided to become our own little thing independent of the LGBTQ community. That makes me happy as I hate all the pride shit.

by Anonymousreply 47June 30, 2020 7:15 PM

R16 have any of those things ACTUALLY happened to you????

by Anonymousreply 48June 30, 2020 7:30 PM

Marsha helped her lover Pierre Curie discover all those new elements, but Marie (who really spent her days passed out on the sofa from too much vodka) got all the credit for it later.

by Anonymousreply 49June 30, 2020 7:38 PM

[quote]I don't know who Marsha P. Johnson was, but she does seem to trigger the old, white, racist baby boomer queens here, and for that and that alone, I am eternally grateful to her.

Exactly, R38, which is why I blocked the cunt with all the stupid posts before and after you.

by Anonymousreply 50June 30, 2020 7:39 PM

We were always independent R47, it's that our movement was overtaken by outside groups with no affiliation to gay men. Actually, many of the big Donors for "LGBT" causes are not necessarily pro-gay. How it happened? It happened because gays were not guarding their own history. When you erase the History of an entire group, you render them without identity. If you are a minority with no history or identity to speak off.. you become invisible, a sitting duck for any charlatan to come in and take advantage of you.

by Anonymousreply 51June 30, 2020 7:40 PM

I never knew Marsha but you can tell what a beautiful spirit she had. The smile she always had said it all.

by Anonymousreply 52June 30, 2020 7:41 PM

I am sure Marsha was a good person, I remember doing a reading on him and he was really warm. It is, however, tragic that Marsha's memory is being used to destroy gay rights instead of been celebrated for being allied, which she was.

by Anonymousreply 53June 30, 2020 7:47 PM

R30, yes, it's code for "passed out on smack."

by Anonymousreply 54June 30, 2020 7:58 PM

Same here, R50.

Totally agree with R38.

That said, I do find it curious that the straight world is venerating someone who self admitted that they did not "fire the first shots" at the Stonewall riots, and could very possibly also have been a cross-dressing hooker / druggie.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But why is the media making her out to be this larger-than-life heroic figure of the LGBT movement?

To me, she seems like any one of the many club people I have known, and most likely not a gay "hero."

by Anonymousreply 55June 30, 2020 8:00 PM

My issue is less with the fact that Marsha is the "face" of Stonewall now and more with the fact that she's being used as an example. When they talk about Stonewall, they never say "Marsha P Johnson was responsible". They always say "trans women of color". It's never a specific person, it's always the group, which invalidates gay involvement. If they just said Marsha then there wouldn't be a problem because it wouldn't be an implication that only trans people fought at Stonewall.

The issue doesn't lie with her being the face of it, it lies with her being an excuse to say that the only people who fought for gay rights were trans women, which is despicable erasure.

by Anonymousreply 56June 30, 2020 8:05 PM

[quote]I don't know who Marsha P. Johnson was, but she does seem to trigger the old, white, racist baby boomer queens here, and for that and that alone, I am eternally grateful to her.

You do know that old, possibly white, baby boomers are the only ones who actually had any first hand experience with her? Were you even born in 1992? Sorry, I knew her. I actually had conversations with her.

by Anonymousreply 57June 30, 2020 8:08 PM

[quote] The issue doesn't lie with her being the face of it, it lies with her being an excuse to say that the only people who fought for gay rights were trans women, which is despicable erasure.

โ€œWho controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.โ€ โ€• George Orwell, 1984

by Anonymousreply 58June 30, 2020 8:11 PM

When Marsha was in the grip of mania, (any afternoon), she believed Poseidon was her father, and would strip and jump into the Hudson River, encouraging bystanders to join her.

by Anonymousreply 59June 30, 2020 8:14 PM

R59 Iconic.

by Anonymousreply 60June 30, 2020 8:16 PM

R59 Stunning...brave

by Anonymousreply 61June 30, 2020 8:23 PM

But R59, that's not what the media is telling us.

Why not?

by Anonymousreply 62June 30, 2020 8:25 PM

One just doesn't mingle with junkie prostitutes.

by Anonymousreply 63June 30, 2020 8:26 PM

OP, why not ask whether anyone here ever met Storme DeLarverie?

by Anonymousreply 64June 30, 2020 8:38 PM

[quote] But [R59], that's not what the media is telling us. Why not?

Because that might paint trans people as not all there, mentally speaking.

Of course that neglects the fact that Marsha/Malcolm wasnโ€™t trans. The people I know that were in her circle said she could change on a dimeโ€” happy one minute, scary and aggressive the next. Possibly schizophrenic, maybe not. An unpredictable person.

by Anonymousreply 65June 30, 2020 8:40 PM

I think Divine should be a Pride icon.

She was FABULOUS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 30, 2020 8:44 PM

R65 I thought it was common knowledge he had schizophrenia

by Anonymousreply 67June 30, 2020 8:51 PM

She invented post its!

by Anonymousreply 68June 30, 2020 8:57 PM

Darling, I want my gay rights now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 30, 2020 9:06 PM

There was a time they didn't even want me in stuff!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 30, 2020 9:07 PM

Lawd have mercy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 30, 2020 9:08 PM

I heard they were going to put Marsha on the ticket instead of Geraldine Ferraro in 1984 but the FUCKING WHITE MALES forced her out for a white woman.

by Anonymousreply 72June 30, 2020 9:12 PM

So basically if you have anything negative (or realistic) to say about Marsha you get blocked by the holier-than-thous like r38, r50, and r55 and accused of racism. I haven't seen anything racist, just people making some satirical jokes about how Marsha is being sold to the world as this mythological figure.

If you're wondering where the revised histories are coming from, it's Stonewall, HRC, GLAAD - they've all been taken over at the top by trans activists and they decided at some point to "center" trans women of color as the face of everything. It's an intersectional trifecta; trans, woman, "of color". What "centering" means in practice is that you mention them before anyone else, even if it isn't historically accurate. They put all this out there and people who want to look like allies have taken it and run with it and added hyperbole and more myth.

A lot of what follows originally led from the mostly male trans rights activists who were "centering" trans women (rarely trans men). So the formerly-gay organizations put out the "history" of the gay rights movement (now LGBTQA+ rights movement) and media types take it from them as authorities. And you have historians, like the one mentioned in another thread, who continue with the mythbuilding even though they know logically and historically it wasn't "trans women of color" who launched the gay rights movement. No one is saying they didn't help, but they did not start it and they did not lead it.

That's also why you have this weird chevron on the "updated" gay pride flag, with the pink and blue standing for trans and the brown and black for the "of color". Forget the fact that the rainbow was diverse and inclusive already. Trans persons of color must be "centered" which means they must be prominent. I've seen some other variations of the flag that have the chevron on both sides, and in the first case it looks like trans people of color are aimed directly at gay pride in an unattractive point, and in the second case the chevron is eating the gay pride rainbow and almost covering it up.

It's no accident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 30, 2020 9:57 PM

And of course, the flag - and the below variant where trans people of color are half the flag now, was redesigned by a nonbinary who uses xe/xem pronouns.

Read the article for more drama. Both of the people involved are "nonbinary trans".

[quote]If the design appears familiar to LGBTQ Nation readers, thatโ€™s because we reported on Daniel Quasarโ€™s KickStarter campaign this past June to raise funds for xyr flag design (Quasar identifies as nonbinary and uses xe/xem pronouns).

[quote]AC Baker, who is a nonbinary trans person, told Gay Star News that Quasarโ€™s design appropriates the Puerto Rico Pride flag, which also has a chevron on top of the six-striped rainbow flag.

[quote]โ€œThis cultural and financial theft from the LGBTI community of Puerto Rico is an act of white supremacy,โ€ Baker said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 30, 2020 10:01 PM

Marsha would find R38 and R50 pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 75June 30, 2020 10:03 PM

Marsha was going to play Mame in the 1974 musical.

But Lucy stole the part.

by Anonymousreply 76June 30, 2020 10:05 PM

".. she does seem to trigger the old, white, racist baby boomer queens ..." R38

You mean the ones who actually did something for gay rights, unlike you, you little tweeting TikTok faux-woke cuntlette?

Lies trigger us, unlike your myth-worshipping dumb ass.

by Anonymousreply 77June 30, 2020 10:22 PM

Divine is never going to become what Marsha has become because Divine was around long enough and famous enough in her time to speak her own mind on LGBT+ issues. The reason Marsha has become so deified is because she died before the LGBT was even a solidified thing. People can project whatever opinions they want on her because she never got a chance to voice any of her own, and even if she did those who were around to hear it likely all died from the plague. She's like a doll, she can represent and be whatever the person playing with her wants her to represent and be.

by Anonymousreply 78June 30, 2020 10:29 PM

โ€œHe liked to dress as a woman, but that didn't make him a woman.โ€

Thatโ€™s it - youโ€™re cancelled.

Bigot!

by Anonymousreply 79June 30, 2020 10:41 PM

Reading the article gave me a fucking headache, enough with the pronoun fuckery!

by Anonymousreply 80June 30, 2020 10:41 PM

[quote]Marsha, who was living and working in New York at the time, was one of the key figures who stood up to the police during the raids.

Except she wasn't there during the raids, as she states in the AUDIO interview transcribed and available to LISTEN TO in her own words below. It's also in the Marsha P Movie on Netflix.

How the trans-liars can get away with this when these tapes are actually out there---in the fucking movie all about her legacy!--- is beyond me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 30, 2020 11:42 PM

10 years ago she was considered a drag queen; 5 years ago she was called trans; today she is a WOMAN. World Gone Crazy.

by Anonymousreply 82July 1, 2020 12:21 AM

I think it's kind of insulting to Marsha for the TRAs and handmaidens to posthumously trans her. She said she was a gay man, yet they re-define her to suit their narrative, like they know what's best for her. Twats.

by Anonymousreply 83July 1, 2020 12:49 AM

R73, My God, that flag is hideous! And all the different variantsโ€” Yuck! Now there is something that should be gladly erased.

by Anonymousreply 84July 1, 2020 1:10 AM

I heard that Marsha was on hormones and planning on getting surgery. Is any of this true or is it another fabrication?

by Anonymousreply 85July 1, 2020 1:12 AM

r84 if you suggest using the old flag, you will get accused of transphobia and racism because you don't want to "center" trans and black and brown people over everyone else. It's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 86July 1, 2020 1:33 AM

Marsha. Marsha. Marsha.

by Anonymousreply 87July 1, 2020 1:36 AM

[quote] If you're wondering where the revised histories are coming from, it's Stonewall, HRC, GLAAD - they've all been taken over at the top by trans activists and they decided at some point to "center" trans women of color as the face of everything. It's an intersectional trifecta; trans, woman, "of color". What "centering" means in practice is that you mention them before anyone else, even if it isn't historically accurate. They put all this out there and people who want to look like allies have taken it and run with it and added hyperbole and more myth.

R73, thank you for that.

As someone who doesn't know much about Marsha Johnson, besides what the media puts out, it's good to hear the TRUTH for once.

R82 and R83... love what you wrote.

It's refreshing to hear from people who are speaking common sense.

by Anonymousreply 88July 1, 2020 1:44 AM

Lucy was going to play Marsha in the film version of her life story but Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 89July 1, 2020 2:18 AM

Marsha P. Johnson IS Hollywood Royalty.

by Anonymousreply 90July 1, 2020 2:39 AM

I find it admirable that Marsha admitted to not being there, and didn't fabricate a lie just for attention.

Oddly, it's the activists who came after her that made up the lie. How strange.

by Anonymousreply 91July 1, 2020 4:22 AM

R85, absolutely not. I actually discussed this with her. She enjoyed being a man or a woman "with something extra". She actually had no time for actual transsexuals such as Amanda Lepore. In hindsight, some of that may have had to do with the fact that actual transsexuals had a man and generally were gender conforming. Marsha was not going to be tied to anyone, and she wasn't going to change he ways to conform to anyone else's ideas.

by Anonymousreply 92July 1, 2020 9:28 AM

R91 -exactly. She was a local 'character' and colorful personality, and she enjoyed the notoriety from that.

But she wasn't leading organizations or had any positions of authority or power. She admitted that.

by Anonymousreply 93July 1, 2020 2:39 PM

They keep trying to raise bronze statues of her. They really want a saint trans woman of color.

by Anonymousreply 94July 1, 2020 3:35 PM

r74, thanks for the info.

The pride flag has nothing to do with race nor gender dysphoria, it's a symbol for gay men and women around the world. I've never felt excluded by the flag because I'm black, what a ridiculous assertion. I'm gay, it represents me. And I specified gay men and women because bisexuals and trans have their own individual flags, of course there's no mention of messing with these flags to make them more 'inclusive'. Does no one find it troubling that trans are allowed to have their own organizations and groups but any mention of an exclusive gay group/organization that doesn't 'centre' them is immediately branded as transphobic?

by Anonymousreply 95July 1, 2020 6:04 PM

R95 I find it very troubling, and I'm sure you've seen how much they attack LGBAlliance on Twitter. They LOATHE the idea that they aren't part of it and call it transphobic and worse.

Whoever is handling their Twitter feed is doing an excellent job, because they get reported for every single tweet they make and are very careful not to break Twitter's rules (whatever they happen to be at that moment). And they will still occasionally get suspended because some moderator is careless or has their own agenda.

Graham Lineham got suspended permanently recently for daring to say "trans women aren't women". He wasn't as careful.

And this mass Reddit banning lately makes me think that some trans have gotten in positions of power there finally, because all the forums that question the dogma have been shut down.

I think they are getting major pushback in the UK finally and they are flexing their power elsewhere to try to compensate. It's just nuts how they have that much power to begin with.

I think it's also a sign of our times, too. We have a President in the US that willfully denies reality because it doesn't suit his agenda, and hordes of followers that follow suit because it doesn't suit their worldviews. So on the far left we have the trans movement controlling a big power base and doing the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 96July 2, 2020 2:13 AM

I met Marcia Brady, Marcia Wallace, and Marcie from Peanuts

by Anonymousreply 97July 2, 2020 2:29 AM

Why is EVERYTHING about trans now? Itโ€™s like gays have just been erased.

by Anonymousreply 98July 2, 2020 2:32 AM

[quote]He liked to dress as a woman, but that didn't make him a woman.

In her famous quote saying she wanted her gay rights now, she clearly calls herself a woman. She was gender nonconforming and identified as both man and woman, depending on when you asked.

This is the truth, I can't make you or your asshole friends believe it, but it is. Look it up.

More than that, learn to look up information and think about it critically, rather than looking up information only to support whatever idea you already have in your head.

by Anonymousreply 99July 2, 2020 2:50 AM

[quote]Itโ€™s like gays have just been erased.

Just our penises.

by Anonymousreply 100July 2, 2020 2:51 AM

Gay rights activist Morty Manford told a story back in the 70s and 80s about how Marsha P Johnson started the riots by throwing a shot glass in the Stonewall Inn, angry at the cops raiding the place again.

That's where the story about Marsha being at Stonewall the first night comes from. She wasn't there, she said so herself, but well-meaning people like Michael Musto passed along the Manford story and now things have gotten confused.

Literally everyone I've seen on Twitter who has been told that Marsha wasn't there (until maybe later, but probably not there until the second night of riots) was polite and thanked the person who gave them the info. I've never seen this "violent backlash" to the truth that the anti-transers keep claiming.

by Anonymousreply 101July 2, 2020 2:54 AM

[quote]Itโ€™s like gays have just been erased.

You guys are the ones who are starting threads about how much you hate Pride Month, you're the ones using the automated moderation system here to kick actual gays off their gay board, you're the ones posting pro-Trump alt-right (and sometimes even QAnon) propaganda all over the board, and you're the ones who belong to anti-gay orgs like LGB Alliance, who don't support gay marriage and who get their money from rightwingers who work for the Heritage Foundation.

Let's stop pretending like you care about gays, okay? Because we've all figured you out.

by Anonymousreply 102July 2, 2020 2:57 AM

[quote] In her famous quote saying she wanted her gay rights now, she clearly calls herself a woman. She was gender nonconforming and identified as both man and woman, depending on when you asked. This is the truth, I can't make you or your asshole friends believe it, but it is. Look it up.

R99, you're attacking the previous poster for saying Marsha was not a woman and yet you then immediately follow with how Marsha identified both as a man and a woman. Are you saying that we should see Marsha as a woman even though she herself said she also identifies as a man? Who's the real asshole here? Or should we see him as a woman when wearing a dress and make-up, and a man when not?

[quote]More than that, learn to look up information and think about it critically, rather than looking up information only to support whatever idea you already have in your head.

What does this even mean? This whole thread is about what Marsha was really like with info from people who met him. It sounds like you get super pissed off because the stories are not following the trans dogma.

BTW, I'm all for trans people getting to live their lives free and without harassment. However I don't think it's right that some trans people seem to believe only they get to say what's right and wrong with any gender related issues. It's totally ridiculous that trans people expect other people to call themselves cis men or cis women while trans women should be called women and trans men men. I mean what the hell? I understand trans people are doing it mostly for acceptance but things have gone too far when we're supposed to see a hairy man with a dick and balls and wearing a dress being more of a woman than women who were born as one. This is not hate, this is common sense. What's wrong with just being trans instead of trying to hijack other sexes?

by Anonymousreply 103July 2, 2020 3:40 AM

R102 that's a lot of nuts and projection wrapped up in one post. Trying to "Other" people who aren't happy with the "trans centering" approach to Pride, and claiming we are all right wingers, is just as silly as the right blaming everything in George Soros.

It's possible to be liberal AND NOT agree with the dogma the trans activists are forcing on everyone - Gender self-ID (the bearded man claiming to be a woman issue), and these same men showing up in women's restrooms and playing against women on sports teams, are what we do not agree with.

For the trans activists, nothing is ever enough except the total eradication of sex and gender, except when it's convenient for them. And when you continue down the twisted logic that a child who will in all likelihood grow up to be a femme gay boy is actually a female trapped in a male body and start them on hormones that will forever twist their bodies, lower their IQs, and cost money for the rest of their lives, before they can even vote - THAT is taking it into the point of insanity.

Enough.

Since when do trans rights outweigh everyone else's rights?

by Anonymousreply 104July 2, 2020 4:01 AM

[quote]and you're the ones who belong to anti-gay orgs like LGB Alliance, who don't support gay marriage

Stop lying. LGB Alliance is PRO GAY and LESBIAN.

Stop lying you trannie fuck.

by Anonymousreply 105July 2, 2020 4:48 AM

R99 Are you lost? Read the thread. Marsha was a happy male drag queen. Fuck you tranny fantasists.

by Anonymousreply 106July 2, 2020 6:46 AM

She passed-out meals at Woodstock, and had just walked out of the WTC when the first plane hit.

by Anonymousreply 107July 2, 2020 7:40 AM

R102, WTF's your damage, queen?

Anyone who doesn't believe the revisionist lies of transees is a Nazi? Reactionary armchair faux-activist.

Have you ever actually done ANYthing for civil rights other than type online?

by Anonymousreply 108July 2, 2020 7:54 PM

Had she been around, Marsha would've saved all the students, Mary's baby and Alice Garvey from the Blind School fire.

by Anonymousreply 109July 2, 2020 10:23 PM

Worst. Drag. Name. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 110July 2, 2020 11:54 PM

Marsha wrote the book for Cats.

by Anonymousreply 111July 3, 2020 12:29 PM

[quote]who don't support gay marriage and who get their money from right wingers

R102, is a loon or a troll. GLADD and HRC accept money from right wing anti-gay marriage billionaires. They barely put their money and effort in championing gay rights causes. Only dedicating 20% of their available cash into gay causes.

Also, they are on record as awarding awards to people that are openly against gay marriage. Bitch please.

by Anonymousreply 112July 10, 2020 2:39 AM

He was handsome! I wonder why the guy in the background has his hand down his pants in R25's photo.

by Anonymousreply 113July 10, 2020 2:54 AM

Is it true she was the secret lovechild of Carol Channing and Sammy Davis, Jr.?

by Anonymousreply 114July 10, 2020 2:57 AM

[quote] I'm gay, it represents me. And I specified gay men and women because bisexuals and trans have their own individual flags, of course there's no mention of messing with these flags to make them more 'inclusive'.

I'm bi and have never liked the bi pride flag, as it is unneeded, the rainbow flag is good enough for me. Plus the bi flag looks stupid and too many people get it confused with the Trans one.

by Anonymousreply 115July 10, 2020 3:14 AM

Drop The B!

by Anonymousreply 116July 10, 2020 3:17 AM

The Bisexuals HAVE been here since the beginning. Bisexual Brenda Howard is known as the "Mother of Pride." Without her organizing skills there might have never been PRIDE celebrations. Also, pivotal in the creation of PRIDE was the bisexual Robert A. Martin, aka Donny the Punk. Trying to erase the history of my part of the community is as wrong as the Trans crowd trying to erase all of us.

by Anonymousreply 117July 10, 2020 3:27 AM

R92 I can think of about 438 other reasons Marsha P. Johnson might not have much cared for Amanda Lepore.

by Anonymousreply 118July 10, 2020 3:38 AM

R118, not an even 440? ;) Yeah, I think we all can.

by Anonymousreply 119July 10, 2020 11:33 AM

Marsha whispered the Secret of Life to a young Lens Dunham, and encouraged her to creatively share it with the world.

by Anonymousreply 120July 10, 2020 11:44 AM

So, NOW the story is that trans and bisexuals are the sole creators of GAY PRIDE ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ and no one else.

Unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 121July 10, 2020 11:58 AM

It was actually Marshaโ€™s idea to have the Yalta Conference.

by Anonymousreply 122July 10, 2020 12:42 PM

Marsha P and Donny the Punk broke up several human trafficking rings while entitled gay men partied.

by Anonymousreply 123July 10, 2020 1:06 PM

splaboo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 10, 2020 2:33 PM

R121 I never said that, I just pointed out two bisexuals who were instrumental in the creation of PRIDE to show that bisexuals were there from the beginning. They didn't create PRIDE. The gay man Thom Higgins coined the phrase. The gay men Craig Rodwell and Fred Sargeant, and the lesbians Ellen Broidy and Linda Rhodes were the creators of the Christopher Street Liberation Day march. The bisexual Brenda Howard of the Gay Liberation Front, became known as the "Mother of Pride" because she joined in the planning of the march, with many other LGBs, and became the lead coordinator and organizer. The bisexual Danny the Punk and the gay man L. Craig Schoonmaker were the ones who popularized calling the events PRIDE. It wasn't gay men, lesbians, or bisexuals who created PRIDE it was a combination of all three working together. Though I would point out that TRANS people do not seem to have played a role in the creation of PRIDE.

by Anonymousreply 125July 10, 2020 5:20 PM

It's all gotten completely insane.

by Anonymousreply 126July 10, 2020 6:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!