Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How Many of You Are on PrEP?

Any side effects?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 7, 2020 12:02 PM

Descovy. Started in January and the only goddamn side effect is COVID-19 and not getting laid.

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2020 7:20 AM

Thank god for PrEP

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2020 7:22 AM

don't get covid?

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2020 7:28 AM

No side effects for me at all. I had an upset stomach the first day 3 yrs ago, but since then nothing.

by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2020 7:30 AM

Same as R4, it upsets my stomach for a few days and I’ll feel a little nauseous, but it passes after a few days.

Not everybody suffers from this side effect, but you might want to take this into consideration if you’re afflicted by it, OP. In pre-pandemic days, (do you remember when we had used to sex and hookups?! Such heady days), I went from daily to event-based dosing as I wasn’t having enough sex or really having any impromptu hookups to justify taking it every day. But as it was then making me a little nauseous every time I took it in advance of having sex, I’d always feel a little ill during my hookup, which wasn’t much fun. So I ended up going to back to taking it daily, even though it wasn’t necessary, just to avoid the nausea.

by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2020 7:45 AM

Did you get it from your doctor or did you get it from one of those online services?

I'm thinking of getting on it. Not sure how to broach the subject with my doctor. Do I tell him I'm a wannabe whore? Should I just do one of the online things?

by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2020 8:12 AM

R6 Tell him you want to be safe

by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2020 8:27 AM

search your area for doctors that understand, or the health dept, or the local lgbtq center.

by Anonymousreply 8June 30, 2020 8:31 AM

I've been on PrEP for almost 2 years now. I started with Truvada, and now have changed to Descovy (it's less harmful to the kidneys and bones) about 6 months ago. I didn't have any side effects with Descovy, but with Truvada I only had mild bloating. It only lasted about a week though. I would recommend that if you start it, you drink a lot of water because over time you can develop kidney stones. Other than that, it's honestly a very beneficial thing to take if you're sexually active and have unprotected sex often.

by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2020 3:01 PM

On it for years. Started and stopped a few Times. Only side effect was during first time i threw up once on 2nd day. Never had another problem.

by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2020 3:26 PM

[quote]I'm thinking of getting on it. Not sure how to broach the subject with my doctor. Do I tell him I'm a wannabe whore? Should I just do one of the online things?

You can try mistr or one of the similar services — it involves filling out a survey and meeting with a doctor over webcam.

by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2020 8:03 PM

Side effects include clap.

by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2020 9:47 PM

Never any side effects

by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2020 9:49 PM

that's why you get horse penicillin from Tractor Supply.

by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2020 9:49 PM

On Truvada for ~2 years now. Never had any side effects; Friends warned me I would have nightmares when I started but that never happened. Or maybe my dreams are already horrifying. I'm in a rural area and by some fluke I ended up with a gay doctor. He was very supportive of my starting it, no judgements at all.

by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2020 9:55 PM

I was on PrEP for two and a half years, first Truvada and then Descovy beginning last Fall. I stopped taking it one month into quarantine realizing I would not be getting laid anytime soon. I’ll go back on it once COVID becomes less prevalent; until then I’m not having sex with anyone. It was the best thing I over did. I came out in 1984; for my entire adult life, sex was associated subconsciously with HIV and death. Whether I use condoms or not (it has varied), I have been able to experience sex without existential anxiety. Too bad I’m an old man now, though I was still getting it. Post quarantine I’ll probably be to fat and unappealing to need it !!

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2020 9:58 PM

**too fat

by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2020 9:59 PM

I wasn’t born until 1982, R16, but for me also casual sex was unconsciously always associated with HIV and death. And it became a very conscious terror after I started taking PrEP, as the whole point of was that I could do things that previously meant that a slow, agonising death was inevitable. It took a few months of taking PrEP for that existential anxiety to dissipate and for sex to be fun again.

And you sound nice. Let’s fuck post-quarantine :)

by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2020 11:40 PM

r18 sounds like my story, except I was just coming into gay life in 1982 and the SEX = DEATH terror was imprinted on me where I couldn't even get it up with a condom.

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2020 1:14 AM

yes, we 50's scaredy cats are now all cumdump whores!

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2020 1:17 AM

My boyfriend is HIV positive and on medication so his viral load is zero, thus undetectable. but I take prep just to be on the safe side. I’ve never experienced any bad side effects. And yes we fucked bareback and we’re both versatile and I am still HIV negative

by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2020 1:23 AM

How many days does it have to be in your system to be safe? If you start, then stop, then decide to start again, how many days back on it should you be before having sex again?

by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2020 1:30 AM

R6, Any sensible DR. supports PreP. Regardless, you deserve to have a DR. you feel comfortable with. Eventually, you're going to need to see them for something personal. Better they should know now, so they provide the best treatment plan. They won't judge the fact that you are a bareback loving, cum-guzzling whore.

by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2020 1:41 AM

im in miami/ fort lauderdale area and I would like to start taking discovy, i want to find a gay or lesbian primary physician but i dont know how.

by Anonymousreply 24July 1, 2020 2:27 AM

if you are off due to rona, take 2 preferably 2 hours before sex and then one for the next 2 days. other countries have been doing this for a while. google though, i'm not a dr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 1, 2020 2:33 AM

I take. I don’t know why I take it now, I only fuck 20 dudes a day now. I’m probably considered low risk at this point.

by Anonymousreply 26July 1, 2020 2:44 AM

R5/ r18 I’m flattered. You sound like fun.

R22 for daily doing the recommendation is to take consistently for 7 days for maximum protective effect. In two and a half years, I only missed one day’s dose, and that is because I had problems refilling because my insurance company wanted me to use an online pharmacy. I would recommend the daily dosing plan because one doesn’t always have the luxury of planning a minimum of two hours in advance of sex to start the double dose; I would also want to see a few more studies demonstrate equal effectivess to daily dosing.

by Anonymousreply 27July 1, 2020 2:56 AM

5 years. Tested every 3 months for HIV and every 6 months for other statistics (i.e., liver function, etc.)

Only side effect is insatiable need to get breeded. Was supposed to get a bunch of European loads this summer but unfortunately all the fucktards of this country have fucked those plans up.

by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2020 3:05 AM

SO riddle me this. I was asked to Breed someone on Prep. When i disclosed my poz/UD status, they shut me down. So, are they on Prep just to catch the occasional liar that "slips thru the crack"? Why take it if you only want other neg guys. It doesn't stop the STD's.

by Anonymousreply 29August 2, 2020 2:02 PM

^^^ Also, i see many TOPS/ only on Prep. The transmission rate for them is extremely low to nil unless they bottom by chance, so again, why take it. It doesnt stop the STDS

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2020 2:15 PM

I started descovy after taking pep. (Don’t ask). I’ve been waking up feeling headachey and blah.

by Anonymousreply 31August 2, 2020 2:29 PM

I've been monogamously married for 12 years. Haven't taken Prep or used condoms since a few months after I met my now husband. Still think it's a fantastic drug for many people

by Anonymousreply 32August 2, 2020 2:30 PM

Whores whores whores the lot of you!!!

by Anonymousreply 33August 2, 2020 2:31 PM

I stopped taking Truvada in April, I would get diarrhea half an hour after I would take it. My doctor was going to put me on Descovy but why bother, I haven't had sex with a hook up in months.

by Anonymousreply 34August 2, 2020 3:03 PM

R32 Same here, though we have been together for 30 years. Whilst I think it is fine for people to take PrEP and it is a personal choice I must admit that if I was still on the market I would prefer condoms due to the other bugs around.

Bareback is way way way better than condom sex but I don't want any other STDs. Once again I stress that that decision is for myself only and I believe people must make their own choices and I respect those choices.

by Anonymousreply 35August 2, 2020 3:09 PM

I’m a top but I decided to go on prep anyway, even though topping is lower risk than bottoming, it’s NOT zero risk. If I fuck an ‘undetectable’ bottom raw then I have extra peace of mind for HIV transmission, rather than just taking the bottoms word for it.

Now if only there was a prep for gonorrhea, clamydia, herpes II, etc

by Anonymousreply 36August 7, 2020 12:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!