Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grantchester

Did it always suck?

by Anonymousreply 29July 13, 2020 2:02 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2020 8:39 PM

There the shadowed waters fresh lean up to embrace the naked flesh.

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2020 8:39 PM

It's always been kind of dull, storytellingwise.

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2020 8:44 PM

It’s gone from bad to really terrible.

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2020 8:49 PM

So it seems like they are setting up the same scenario with the new guy. Can't marry but has steamy anguished sex with girl friend. If that's going to be the case, I wish the writers had made her an anti-marriage (not anti-sex) Trotskyist or something, "marriage enslaves women", that kind of thing, up front. So she can opt out of the draaaama.

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2020 8:52 PM

This season was better than in the past because they've expanded the world by adding more characters to the mix. It became tiresome after a bit, especially Geordie's home life, but I liked that it was more than just Geordie and Will.

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2020 8:52 PM

I was really disappointed in it from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2020 8:53 PM

I enjoyed the first two seasons. James Norton was easy on the eyes and I enjoyed his friendship with Robson Green’s Geordie. Hated the married love interest (and that actress has stunk up everything I‘ve seen her in since.). It officially umped the shark in Season 3 in an episode in which Sidney leaves the parsonage to infiltrate a band of gypsies.

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2020 8:58 PM

I liked the first two seasons well enough, but I started to lose interest in the following seasons. Once James Norton was gone, there was no reason for me to keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2020 8:59 PM

It has become like a Ryan Murphy show in that it exists in its own reality. This most recent season has the gay vicar being very open about his homosexuality, and in that time period, he probably would have been arrested and jailed.

He goes on vacation with his boyfriend (where'd that money come from?), he brings his boyfriend to the birthday party. I'm waiting for the sour-faced housekeeper to report his ass to the authorities.

The thing is that I really liked the tortured, supressed gay vicar. It had a certain poignancy in the show that is now lost.

by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2020 9:09 PM

Was this show basically a rip off of Father Brown?

In season 3 it’s revealed that Mrs McGuire, the sanctimonious housekeeper, has a husband who is still alive and is a professional grifter. On Father Brown there was also an episode where we learn that the husband of Mrs. McCarthy, the sanctimonious church secretary, is alive and a professional grifter.

by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2020 8:52 PM

What is this Granchester, yet more from Julian Fellowes?

by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2020 9:23 PM

[quote]What is this Granchester, yet more from Julian Fellowes?

It's not from Julian Fellowes. None of the plots are stolen.

by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2020 10:00 PM

what happened to the ginger? hollywood dreams bashed?

by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2020 10:05 PM

still working.

by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2020 10:07 PM

[quote]what happened to the ginger? hollywood dreams bashed?

He's the star of the horribly titled McMafia on BBC One and AMC. He had a small role in last year's "Little Women".

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2020 11:17 PM

[quote] He's the star of the horribly titled McMafia on BBC One and AMC. He had a small role in last year's "Little Women".

He's doing a third season of "Happy Valley."

by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2020 11:20 PM

I found the bare-assed young man very attractive, and I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of tush shown.

by Anonymousreply 18July 7, 2020 10:31 PM

I didn't even bother trying to watch this. I'd heard about something really homophobic from Robson Greene. I don't even remember what it was.

by Anonymousreply 19July 7, 2020 10:37 PM

Oh the hot ginger man is gone? Feh.

by Anonymousreply 20July 7, 2020 10:39 PM

Something homophobic from Robson Greene? That would be surprising, since he's enjoyed "gay cult character" status before, notably on his show "Wire in the Blood."

by Anonymousreply 21July 7, 2020 10:47 PM

The new guy is really hot

by Anonymousreply 22July 7, 2020 10:51 PM

No one expected it to have the brilliance of Noel Coward. James Norton is a decent actor and fucking gorgeous. His replacement is a beautiful man. The show is comfort food.

by Anonymousreply 23July 7, 2020 10:55 PM

Robson Greene swimming nude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 7, 2020 10:56 PM

[quote]Robson Greene swimming nude.

He's an exhibitionist. He's shown ass in at least three other shows he's been in. I think "Wire In The Blood" "Grantchester" and "Reckless".

by Anonymousreply 25July 7, 2020 11:12 PM

Swimming nude in Northumberland will cause extreme shrinkage.

by Anonymousreply 26July 7, 2020 11:38 PM

The show was very good, especially the first two seasons. It seemed to be somewhat aimless during the third season. I'm not sure how it's fairing during season four after James Norton left.

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2020 1:28 AM

James Norton like to show his ass too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2020 11:14 PM

Goodness, that was an unpleasant and unnecessary episode.

by Anonymousreply 29July 13, 2020 2:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!