Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Faye Dunaway IS Serena Joy

The Handmaid’s Tale (1990)

Why was this movie so poorly received?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 26, 2020 8:38 AM

Was it Faye’s acting? was she too understated?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2020 8:21 PM

Is it just me or did Offred need a really good smack?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2020 8:22 PM

Who cares what you think?

You're all little homosexual boys.

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2020 8:53 PM

I think the movie tried to shoehorn to much of the book into the limited time and suffered for it.

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2020 9:26 PM

I LOVE this version!

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2020 11:17 PM

Dunaway was great but Elizabeth McGovern stole the film and was so much better than Samira Wiley. Natasha Richardson was really bland. They didn't seem sure of how to end it either. It looked like it had been through many edits.

Too bad Sigourney Weaver got pregnant and had to quit the film and be replaced by Richardson.

by Anonymousreply 6August 26, 2020 4:47 AM

I know Faye's a cunt and has had too much surgery, but when she's good she's GOOD. I wish she could get one more great film or prestige cable / streaming show role. I bet she has one more really strong performance in her.

by Anonymousreply 7August 26, 2020 4:58 AM

One of the comments to the scene cracked me up:

When Faye Dunaway asks, "Is this your first placement?;" I would have loved it if the handmaid had replied back, "This isn't my first time at the rodeo."

by Anonymousreply 8August 26, 2020 5:10 AM

There’s a scene where the boom mic is visible in the frame. I had the impression that it was sloppy, underfunded project of love, not a great production.

by Anonymousreply 9August 26, 2020 5:27 AM

The filmmaking is cheap and physically ugly to look at, which is draining when the story is already so grim. The recent mini series is much more lux.

by Anonymousreply 10August 26, 2020 5:54 AM

I did like the film back when it was first released but have never seen it again. I must say that I preferred the mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 11August 26, 2020 5:56 AM

The 1990 movie looks like a soap opera. The 2017 series looks like a cinematic film. The shots are beautifully framed, and all the settings have a sinister tone.

by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2020 5:58 AM

I like the film but I agree with the others: the whole production looks cheap to the point of distraction. The cinematography has all the quality of a mid-80s straight-to-video softcore flick.

by Anonymousreply 13August 26, 2020 6:09 AM

Faye Dunaway IS Selena!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 26, 2020 6:22 AM

Who keeps bumping Faye Dunaway threads? Whoever it is, I love you.

by Anonymousreply 15August 26, 2020 6:23 AM

For all the film's faults, Dunaway is excellent in this. Like r7 said, when Dunaway is in her element, there's no stopping her. She really is a great actress when she's reigned in. And she was perfect for Serena Joy. I prefer her over the actress in the TV show.

But the TV show's first season is superior to the film. The rest of the series is shit, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 16August 26, 2020 6:40 AM

The first thing I noticed was how bad the costuming is compared to the series.

I watched the original release when it came out, but literally the only thing I remember is that little garden kneeler Dunaway used in a couple of gardening scenes.

Poor arthritic Faye.

And still alive.

God bless.

by Anonymousreply 17August 26, 2020 7:11 AM

R17 Funny you should mention that! I saw that too and ending up getting one for my aunt when she gardens for her birthday one August. Before that I had never heard of them.

by Anonymousreply 18August 26, 2020 8:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!