Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Speaking of state flags

Come on states! Slapping the state seal on a piece of fabric and calling it a day is just plain lazy and yields boring flags.

Hurray for the lovely flags of California, Alaska, Maryland, South Carolina, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Ohio.

Boo to Just about everyone else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2020 10:39 PM

Don’t let the SJWs see this 2015 LA Times article or we’ll lose our cute little bear flag!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2020 5:41 PM

They have to be simple enough for grade-schoolers to color.

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2020 5:44 PM

^no they don’t

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2020 5:48 PM

Why does the Hawaii state flag have the British Union Jack?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2020 5:48 PM

Something to do with friendly relations between the two kingdoms, r4.

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2020 5:52 PM

There is a non-colonial Hawaiian flag.

The Union Jack is just weird. Probably a dig at the US for basically stealing the islands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2020 5:55 PM

R1–your link is behind a paywall.

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2020 5:59 PM

New Mexico's is the coolest one.

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2020 6:01 PM

As far as Europeans are concerned, Hawaii was first “found” by the British, hence the flag. I don’t know how it got transferred to America. I do know that American plantation owners deposed the kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2020 6:03 PM

The Hawaii flag is supposed to be a blend of the British and US flags.

by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2020 6:04 PM

[quote] Hawaii was once an independent kingdom. (1810 – 1893) The flag was designed at the request of King Kamehameha I. It has eight stripes of white, red and blue that represent the eight main islands. The flag of Great Britain is emblazoned in the upper left corner to honor Hawaii's friendship with the British.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2020 6:07 PM

🎶 You’re a grand old fag, You’re a high flying fag, And forever in drag may you wave...

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2020 6:07 PM

Hawaii is in the middle of no where. I admire the Polynesians who first found it. Imagine how many scouts sent out and found nothing! Plus, I imagine they found the Americas, too.

New Zealand wasn’t found by humans until about 1400, IIRC. The Polynesians found it only about 100 years before the Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2020 6:08 PM

I like my state's flag, but we haven't seen a grizzly bear inside state borders for about a 100 years now.

by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2020 6:09 PM

Texas, Florida, Alabama, Georgia and North Carolina need to abandon the elements of the confederate flag and the confederate battle flag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2020 6:12 PM

Colorado’s flag is boring. It’s just a big “C”.

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2020 6:15 PM

^is not

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2020 6:16 PM

Whose flag is gayer, Maine's ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2020 6:16 PM

or West Virginia's?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2020 6:17 PM

Hawaii's flag has quite an interesting history:

[quote] The flag of Hawaii (Hawaiian: Ka Hae Hawaiʻi) has previously been used by the kingdom, protectorate, republic, and territory of Hawaii. It is the only US state flag to include a foreign country's national flag. The inclusion of the Union Jack of the United Kingdom is a mark of the British Empire's historical relations with the Hawaiian Kingdom, particularly with King Kamehameha I. The flag continued to be used after the 1893 overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom.

[quote] In 1793, Captain George Vancouver, having previously visited the islands with Captain James Cook, returned in command of HMS Discovery. During the visit, Vancouver met with Kamehameha I and presented him with a Red Ensign, used for British civilian vessels. The Kingdom of Ireland was not a formal part of the United Kingdom before 1801, which meant that, at this time, the British flag did not contain the Saint Patrick's Cross of Ireland. This version of the Red Ensign, as well as the current version which added the cross in 1801, was the unofficial flag of the Kingdom of Hawaii until 1816.

[quote] An adviser to Kamehameha noted that the Union Flag could draw Hawaii into international conflict, as his kingdom could be seen as an ally of the United Kingdom, and he subsequently lowered the Union Flag over his home at Kamakahonu. While disputed as to its historical accuracy, one account stated that in order to placate US interests during the War of 1812, a US flag was raised over Kamehameha's home, only to be removed when UK officers in the court of Kamehameha vehemently objected to it. This would explain why the resulting flag of Hawaii was a deliberate hybrid of the two nations' flags.

[quote] In 1816, Kamehameha commissioned his own flag to avoid this conflict, which has evolved into the current flag. It was probably designed by one of the commanders of the Royal Hawaiian Navy (which consisted of HHMS Kaimiloa), former officers of the British Royal Navy, who advised Kamehameha, based on a form of the British naval flag. There is debate as to the actual designer: some credit Alexander Adams, others George Charles Beckley. It was very similar to the flag of the British East India Company in use at about this time, which had only red and white stripes. Captain Adams used this flag for the first time on a Hawaiian trade mission to China in 1817.

[quote] There may have been different versions of the flag with different numbers of stripes and colors. The number of stripes also changed: originally, the flag was designed with either seven or nine horizontal stripes, and in 1845 it was officially changed to eight stripes. The latter arrangement is used today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2020 6:17 PM

The US flag once had 15 stripes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2020 6:25 PM

R15 the Scots need to do the same

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2020 6:32 PM

A canton in a flag is a rectangular area, usually at the top hoist corner of a flag, occupying up to a quarter of the flag's area. The canton of a flag may be a flag in its own right. For instance, British ensigns have the Union Jack as their canton, as do their derivatives such as the national flags of Australia and New Zealand...

An ensign is the national flag flown on a vessel to indicate nationality. It is not necessarily a national flag.

Nobody knew it could be so complicated!

by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2020 6:35 PM

At the funeral of a veteran, the highest ranking military officer is supposed to present the folded US flag to the widow, if applicable. I only know this because my brother told me that they got it wrong at my Dad’s funeral. Otherwise, I don’t think anybody noticed or cared, except perhaps the admiral whose job was usurped. The admiral was a childhood friend of the family, from decades earlier, and it was really nice that he attended the funeral in his dress whites.

by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2020 6:45 PM

Only one is not rectangular.

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2020 6:57 PM

Switzerland had a square-like flag until recent years, when they caved and made their flag rectangular like most national flags.

by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2020 7:05 PM

[quote] Texas, Florida, Alabama, Georgia and North Carolina need to abandon the elements of the confederate flag and the confederate battle flag.

The Lone Star Flag predates the Confederacy by 20 years, idiot. Don't even think about canceling it!!

by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2020 7:09 PM

The flag of Scotland has been in use since 1542, R22, over 300 years prior to the American Civil War.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2020 7:15 PM

I don't think irony works very well on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2020 8:24 PM

Haha Mississippi! Best. Flag. Evah.

by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2020 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!