Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actors who stole careers from other actors

Somebody commented on the WHET Mena Suvari thread that Reese Witherspoon stole Suvari's career in the early 2000s. I was wondering if there were any other examples of that? I know that Girl Interrupted was supposed to be Winona Ryder's vehicle but Angelina Jolie got all the acclaim and the career boost.

by Anonymousreply 64July 7, 2020 11:36 PM

Emma Stone stole Lindsay Lohan's career.

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2020 11:02 PM

Paul Newman didn't quite steal, but he inherited James Dean's roles and got a big career boost, he Dean died.

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2020 11:03 PM

"when" Dean died.

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2020 11:04 PM

Leo hit the jackpot when River Phoenix died.

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2020 11:07 PM

R1: Lindsay should’ve had the bigger career. She had good comedic timing, never fucked for roles, and was seemingly easy to get along with. Her personal problems ended her career.

by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2020 11:13 PM

Lindsay had talent and didn't fuck for roles? Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2020 11:21 PM

R5, it's hard to have a career if you don't show up on set or just come drugged up/drunk.

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2020 11:23 PM

Lindsay had talent, the problem is she still thought she had to fuck for roles.

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2020 11:31 PM

There's a reason Tina Fey tried so hard to get Lindsay help.

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2020 11:32 PM

Ashley Olsen stole the career of her sister Mary Kate, or was it the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2020 11:34 PM

I remember reading somewhere that Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Lorne Michaels staged an intervention for Lindsay at one point.

It's not so much that Emma Stone stole her career, Lindsay became unreliable and uninsurable so Emma inherited her career.

by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2020 11:35 PM

I *OWN* this thread!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2020 11:40 PM

Lohan's not talented. Watch Liz and Dick for proof

by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2020 11:43 PM

Tom Hanks stole a bunch of people’s careers. He’s good, but not that good and successfully climbed his way out of Bosom Buddies.

by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2020 11:58 PM

Richard Gere wouldn't be a star if it weren't for John Travolta -- but in his case, he didn't steal from Travolta, he just took all the roles that Travolta idiotically turned down.

by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2020 12:03 AM

Lily James stole Keira Knightley's career

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2020 1:09 AM

I can't wait to hear Brendad Ickson's contribution to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2020 1:50 AM

Marisa Tomei stole Annabella Sciorra's career, even before Weinstein ruined it.

by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2020 3:07 AM

JLo owes her career to Yolanda Saldivar, the woman who killed Selena.

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2020 3:27 AM

That woman Yolanda should be hanged. Selena was much better than JLo.

by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2020 3:30 AM

Lohan could never have given a performance so complete as Stone did in Easy A

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2020 3:32 AM

Kristen bell stole Sarah Michelle Gellar's career.

by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2020 3:33 AM

Who stole Thora Birch's career?

by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2020 3:44 AM

[quote] Richard Gere wouldn't be a star if it weren't for a gerbil

Fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2020 3:49 AM

Didn't Gwyneth Paltrow literally steal the script for Shakespeare in Love off of Winona Ryder's coffee table while she was over visiting?

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2020 3:54 AM

Scarlett Johansson, R23, following Ghost World.

by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2020 4:00 AM

M stole G's career.

by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2020 8:35 AM

Emma did not steal Lonan’s career at all. Do you really think Lindsey had the talent to star in productions like Birdman or La La Land if she didn’t have her problems. She was a okay child actress turning into a weak wooden adult actress.

by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2020 9:56 AM

R16 huh? Knightley is a two-time Oscar nominee and Lily James was in Mamma Mia 2.

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2020 10:02 AM

Also, those mentioning Lohan’s comedic timing... what has been funny in? She was the square in Mean Girls and Freaky Friday and played opposite the actual comedic talent in each film (Jamie Lee Curtis and Rachel McAdams, respectively).

Emma Stone, on the other hand, can be very funny.

by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2020 10:34 AM

R25, that sounds like our Gwynnie. I needed a good laugh!

by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2020 11:13 AM

My only contribution would be that perhaps one of the Hemsworth brothers stole Kellan Lutz's career. I know Lutz isn't the best actor, but he's passable and was incredibly blonde and buff. What reminded me of this was rewatching S2 of 'The Comeback', and he's playing the same character from S1, but 10 years later (or however long between seasons) he's now a famous movie star. He was very convincing, and still had a lot of charm and charisma. He could've easily fit in the Marvel universe; maybe not much else, but those paychecks are huge.

I think the comments on Lohan v Stone are probably fair. Lohan *could've* still had a career, but that's a big "What if?" with so many parameters. I watched the docuseries on her that Oprah produced (I'll show myself out), and it became clear that her upbringing and chaotic home life growing up would've made it hard for her to create a stable environment unless she cut herself off from them. And her parents sure as hell weren't going to let that happen...she was their meal ticket. Dina had to get cut off from using Lindsey's Carvel card, for crying out loud (essentially a free pass for celebs to enjoy Carvel treats as much as they want). The other one who replaced Lohan (literally) was Bryce Dallas Howard, in 'The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond'. Ann-Margret had been signed because of Lohan's resemblance to her, and she still co-starred in it. The film wasn't well-received, but Chris Evans also co-starred before his Marvel days. It would've been a much better stepping stone for Lohan than some of the junk she ended up doing, like that 'Labor Pains' movie that went straight to cable. That signalled the end of her acting career right there.

by Anonymousreply 32June 29, 2020 11:27 AM

Lohan’s acting career ended with her behavior on the set of Georgia Rule. No one was gonna hire her for anything substantial after that.

by Anonymousreply 33June 29, 2020 11:38 AM

Of course, dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2020 1:02 PM

Margot Robbie stole or inherited Jennifer Lawrence’s career

by Anonymousreply 35June 29, 2020 2:29 PM

Amanda Bynes is another one whose career was stolen; but like Lohan, due to her own missteps. Maybe Anna Kendrick replaced her...that bitch is all over the place, including an HBO Max show that no one is watching (literally, due to all the issues with streaming HBO Max).

by Anonymousreply 36June 29, 2020 2:38 PM

I don't think it's a matter of stealing roles. I think it's a matter of mismanagement. You hear so many times of agents turning down roles for actors and those actors never hearing about it.

by Anonymousreply 37June 29, 2020 3:35 PM

Mmm. Thinking about Kellan. Mmmmm!

by Anonymousreply 38June 29, 2020 3:47 PM

I think if Anna stole anyone's career it would have to be Lea Michelle. Everyone loves working with Anna so that's why she's everywhere. Smart girl. Do everything that's offered because you're yesterday's roast beef in no time.

by Anonymousreply 39June 29, 2020 7:20 PM

[quote] Lohan’s acting career ended with her behavior on the set of Georgia Rule.

Especially after she was publicly blasted in a letter....and deservedly so. She probably costs way too much to hire--she's not worth the risk.

by Anonymousreply 40June 29, 2020 7:55 PM

R40 I don't think she can be insured.

by Anonymousreply 41June 29, 2020 7:56 PM

R41, that's it. She's just too much of a liability. (Sigh) At least she'll always have Mykonos..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 29, 2020 8:08 PM

Sandra Bullock started getting better roles and films than Julia Roberts after a while.

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2020 5:11 AM

Stealing would involve badmouthing the competition, using connections to prevent your competition to get the role, or using the casting couch to gain an unfair advantage.

There is no stealing involved when your competition fucks up all by him- or herself. Like Lohan did.

From the recent Sharon Gless thread:

[quote] [R19] [Gless] told me a lot of great stories, including the time Cybill Shepard stopped Bogdonovich from hiring her for a movie.

[R35]. Cyril was jealous because she wanted the part. Bless told me that Cybill called her a cunt to Bogdonovich. I think she told me the story after I asked her if there was anyone in her career she didn’t like.

by Anonymousreply 44June 30, 2020 6:03 AM

Lohan is (was?) talented. Deal with it. Actually, I think she was even better in The Parent Trap than she was in Mean Girls.

by Anonymousreply 45June 30, 2020 6:10 AM

Lohan proves that you need MORE than just supposed talent to have staying power in Hollywood. What Lohan lacked was professionalism. And let's be real: Hollywood rewards success, professionalism, and loyalty over talent or "raw" talent. You can be the most biggest diva in showbiz as long you deliver commercial successes and don't cause projects to mess up their filming schedule or go over budget. What caused Charlie Sheen's fall from grace? He messed up with the filming schedule of Two and a Half Men with his mood swings and temper tantrums fighting against Chuck Lorre. Even though he was the big star of the show and the show was (still) a hit.

by Anonymousreply 46June 30, 2020 7:38 AM

Yes, Lohan is talented, but the fact that she peaked in The Parent Trap (a Disney film where she is what, 12 or 13?) and Mean Girls a few years later is indeed a step down from that in terms of performance, kind of says it all. Nevertheless, I imagine with her past profile and legacy name recognition, then, if she were sufficiently motivated and well-represented, she would have steady work in “lesser“ productions and particularly on TV these days, if she were to make herself reliable and capable of being worked with. So some or all of that formula is missing for her.

by Anonymousreply 47June 30, 2020 11:41 AM

Outside of the datalounge I never heard of anyone who thought Lohan was God's gift to the acting world

by Anonymousreply 48June 30, 2020 5:07 PM

R48, allegedly, her performances in A Prairie Home Companion and Bobbie were really good.

by Anonymousreply 49June 30, 2020 5:12 PM

There's always someone on here who claims Jufi Dench only got a screen career after Glenda Jackson retired to politics

by Anonymousreply 50June 30, 2020 6:22 PM

I actually kind of like her in APHC and she was a pretty decent singer.

by Anonymousreply 51June 30, 2020 7:25 PM

Yul Brenner took roles from Telly Savalas.

by Anonymousreply 52June 30, 2020 7:48 PM

Winona didn't need the career boost it gave Angie. When people think of Winona's talents they think of her acting. When people think of Angelina's talents the first thing they mention is her beauty. That tells you enough.

by Anonymousreply 53June 30, 2020 7:51 PM

When you think of Winona, you think shoplifting. Winona might be a better actress, very arguable, but Angelina is unquestionably a better star.

by Anonymousreply 54June 30, 2020 8:00 PM

Winona isn't a good actress, she's a good star. Big difference. Ditto with Angie.

by Anonymousreply 55June 30, 2020 8:01 PM

Billy Crystal stole John Ritter's career, who then stole it back in the late 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 56June 30, 2020 8:20 PM

The Rock stole Vin Diesels career

by Anonymousreply 57June 30, 2020 8:53 PM

R56 I need you to explain that one. I know Billy Crystal was close to getting the Jack Tripper part, so if anything wasn’t it the reverse?

And how did Ritter steal it back? He was doing things like guest spots on Ally McBeal and Buffy.

by Anonymousreply 58July 4, 2020 6:40 AM

Sterling K. Brown got all the roles that Isaiah Washington would get, had he not self-imploded and ruined his career.

by Anonymousreply 59July 4, 2020 7:05 AM

ScarJo stole Brittany Murphy's career.

by Anonymousreply 60July 6, 2020 4:08 AM

ScarJo also stole Thora Birch's career

by Anonymousreply 61July 6, 2020 4:31 AM

R60 nah. Nobody has the charm Brittany had, and certainly not scathing. Brittany would have kept working steadily had she not been ripped from us so tragically early.

by Anonymousreply 62July 6, 2020 4:37 AM

I don't think so, R62, her career was pretty much in horrible shape after the druggie rumors and Ted Casablanca's Jordache Junkie blind item. Man, she was doing Lifetime movies. Poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 63July 7, 2020 11:14 PM

Judi Dench stole Maggie Smith's film career.

by Anonymousreply 64July 7, 2020 11:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!