Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was the 1977-78 TV season the worst ever?

Decades (the transvaginal mesh/mesothelioma channel) seems to think so.

Mentioned: a young and hot Mark Harmon, Patrick Duffy's fine ass swimming in the water, and yes, VIVIAN VANCE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 2, 2020 12:12 AM

That's pretty stinky. I guess my middle school self was sticking with the stalwarts, mostly on CBS. Wasn't that the last season of Carol Burnett (with the underwhelming Dick Van Dyke)?

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2020 3:42 PM

Wow that article has a big mistake.....CHiPS was an NBC show, it wasn't on CBS......even I know that!

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2020 3:43 PM

Indeed, R2

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2020 3:52 PM

R1 yes that was the final season for Carol. This was the peak era of tits and ass for ABC and the sort of Battle of the Network Stars type of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2020 3:53 PM

What's a TV?

by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2020 3:55 PM

Was Donny & Marie still running that season?

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2020 3:55 PM

D&M ran until 1979

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2020 3:57 PM

Battle of the NitWit Stars was the beginning is reality t.v.

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2020 5:31 PM

Not shamed to admit I actually watched Sam (come on, it starred Mark Harmon!), Quark, Man From Atlantis (like the aforementioned Sam, this show constantly featured Patrick Duffy in very tight swim trunks) and Logan's Run. Don't remember any of the other shows

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2020 5:50 PM

I wish I would have seen young Mark Harmon in swim trunks.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2020 5:57 PM

I remember Patrick Duffy in "Man from Atlantis." He was hot in his tight square-cut! His webbed hands were another matter...

I can also remember "Logan's Run" with the boxy vehicles of the future and the Wedge or Farah Fawcett cuts of the future. It was a cheesy show.

by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2020 6:13 PM

I wonder if these shows still exist somewhere. It would be interesting to sample a few episodes to see how they compare to hit shows of the time. And to see recognizable actors in early roles.

by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2020 6:24 PM

Clip from [italic]Young Dan'l Boone[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2020 6:28 PM

YouTube has the full run of [italic]The Man from Atlantis,[/italic] but you have to pay for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2020 6:30 PM

Here's the first episode of [italic]Quark.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2020 6:32 PM

Intro for the lowest-rated one of the bunch: [italic]Mulligan's Stew,[/italic] featuring [italic]Facts of Life[/italic] castoff Julie Anne Haddock

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2020 6:38 PM

Damn I didn't know Tracy Partridge had ever been in anything else, r16.

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2020 6:46 PM

Mulligan's Stew looks like it might have been interesting.

by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2020 6:59 PM

Quark sucks.

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2020 7:13 PM

Me and my friends watched Quark. We were ten years old.

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2020 7:24 PM

Logan’s Run had some nice candy going on. In addition to star Gregory Harrison, it also had the fabulously hirsute Randy Powell as the enforcer obsessed with nailing his ex-best friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2020 8:24 PM

R13 - I had the biggest crush on Rick Moses when he was Hutch on General Hospital. Older brother of Billy Moses. I wonder if he was difficult because his career dried up fast after GH.

by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2020 8:51 PM

R21

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2020 8:58 PM

Recent photo of Randy Powell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2020 9:15 PM

I wonder if he's still furry like that

by Anonymousreply 25June 28, 2020 9:16 PM

The mid-to-late 70s seemed like such an ugly time, just aesthetically.

Bless those hearts who lived through it.

by Anonymousreply 26June 28, 2020 10:49 PM

Lots of hairy chests!!

by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2020 2:47 AM

Television was crap back then but I did nab my first Emmy that year!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2020 3:00 AM

I thought whatever year had Manimal was terrible. At least for NBC it was.

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2020 11:07 PM

I don't know what you're talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2020 12:17 AM

No, I loved Lucan!

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2020 12:18 AM

I loved OPERATION PETTICOAT! Mind you, I was 10-11 years old, so...I thought John Astin was hilarious. He was Gomez!! I also thought Richard Gilliland was really cute & funny, and I had a thing for Jamie Lee Curtis (that I didn't really understand at the time, as a "baby-dyke"). I shipped that couple before I knew what "shipping: was.

I was so bummed out when ABC "retooled" PETTICOAT after the first season (22 eps) . They dumped the entire cast, except for Jim Varney (who had a very minor role) and Melinda Naud....who inexplicably got the vanity-card "AND Melinda Naud as Lt. Dolores Crandall" at the end of the 2nd Season opening credits. She got the vanity card, just because she survived the purge:?? C'mon!

Nobody watched the retooled 2nd season, with Robert Hogan, Randolph Mantooth & Hilary Thompson. It sucked! I think they aired four episodes Season 2 before it was cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 32July 1, 2020 3:05 AM

S1 opening credits:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 1, 2020 3:11 AM

First full season of "Eight Is Enough," introducing Betty Buckley's Abby as the best stepmother of all time. I'll admit that the show went somewhat downhill in subsequent seasons, but I still love the special two-part wedding and Christmas episodes (along with several others) from this otherwise "worst ever" season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 1, 2020 11:34 PM

I was so envious of the girl who got to marry Grant Goodeve, r34.

And Abby was the best stepmother of all time. Betty Buckley was great on the show and loved her even more after the first time I saw “Carrie”. I still have trouble accepting she’s batshit crazy in real life!

by Anonymousreply 35July 2, 2020 12:01 AM

I love you, R25--me too!!! I've seen her in concert three times, and saw her in "Hello Dolly" last summer; she exudes the same warmth and depth of soul in person that she did in "Eight Is Enough." Maybe she had some interesting moments in the 80s and 90s, but I've never understood the real nastiness towards her that I've encountered here. And no matter what, she's the best ally ever these days; just check out her Twitter feed if you have any doubt....

by Anonymousreply 36July 2, 2020 12:11 AM

Urgh--I meant that for R35

by Anonymousreply 37July 2, 2020 12:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!