Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Black Trans Women Seek More Space in the Movement They Helped Start

Transgender women of color led the uprising at the Stonewall Inn 51 years ago on Sunday, but they were never put at the center of the movement they helped start: one whose very shorthand, “the gay rights movement,” erases them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 29, 2020 3:37 PM

This will go well.

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2020 7:32 AM

nytnews@nytimes.com

maggie.astor@nytimes.com

Surely, the Times won't do anything. But we can at least pester them with emails stating a few basic historical facts!

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2020 7:33 AM

Black Trannies are no where to be found in the pictures of Stonewall. Just white, boys. The 60's were a racist time. pretty sure we weren't even allowed in them places.

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2020 7:36 AM

Yawn.

If they want to talk about erasing...

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2020 7:38 AM

R3

Sylvia Rivera admitted as much, that POC and transvestites weren’t particularly welcome at the mob-owned gay bars.

How much longer can this revisionist history go on? I even see it from eldergays who have to know better.

by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2020 7:43 AM

This article erases the contribution of queer British Asian women like Jameela Jamil who literally sent the first tweet about the first brick being thrown at Stonewall.

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2020 7:47 AM

There is already a thread on this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2020 7:49 AM

I just sent an email to Astor basically saying I’m confused. I want to know the truth.

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2020 7:55 AM

Good at creating myths that create a place for themselves decades after facts to the contrary.

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2020 7:59 AM

[quote]Just white, boys. The 60's were a racist time. pretty sure we weren't even allowed in them places.

Oh good, the straight Mumsnetter ladies have shown up and are now pretending to be black gay Americans.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2020 8:22 AM

Oh here go hell come.

by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2020 8:23 AM

R10, Black? Ain't no one got time for that. Latino, Male here.

by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2020 8:26 AM

OP Storme DeLarverie started the riot by imploring those present to do something against the cops as she was cuffed and put in the back of a police wagon. She was a black butch lesbian - not trans. Stop rewriting history with this trans nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2020 9:30 AM

R13 — YOU are rewriting history.

It was started by a drag queen not a lesbian.

Marsha was a drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2020 9:33 AM

R14 By her own admission Marsha didn’t arrive until shit had already hit the fan.

It’s bonkers how many people lie about this.

by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2020 9:40 AM

Stop lying OP Stonewall was not begun by black trannies.

by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2020 10:14 AM

Stop lying R14 that Marsha addict was not the catalyst.

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2020 10:15 AM

At about 4 minutes in Marsha makes quite clear that she was nowhere near Stonewall when the riots began.

Sylvia was in the park having "cocktails" (meaning heroin) and missed the whole first night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2020 10:19 AM

Yet another attempt by "trans" to obliterate gays and women.

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2020 10:26 AM

It’s an attempt by lesbians to erase gay men.

Stonewall clientele was gay men.

They started the uprising, not a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2020 10:47 AM

[quote]but they were never put at the center of the movement they helped start: one whose very shorthand, “the gay rights movement,” erases them.

If you started the movement, wouldn’t you put yourself at the center of it, and wouldn’t you name it yourself?? More evidence that black trannies didn’t start shit and weren’t even involved.

by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2020 10:54 AM

[quote] Yet another attempt by "trans" to obliterate gays and women.

It's an attempt to obliterate gay men.

Stop putting women into our struggle.

by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2020 11:01 AM

Even if the riot was started by Johnson and Rivera, they were both DRAG QUEENS. Drag queens weren't 'trans women' in 1969, and are certainly not what we consider to be trans women in 2020. The drag queens in question were gay men who - for playful, political, and performative reasons - dressing in non-masculine attire.

So even if Johnson threw the first brick, the idea that the entire gay liberation movement was started by trans women of colour is revisionist nonsense that erases gay men and gay women.

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2020 11:10 AM

R20 Every single person who was alive at the time and on the list of the 300 names taken by the police at the bar agrees that it was a woman in man's suit who threw the first coins to protest the payola and it grew from there. So yes, it was a lesbian who began the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2020 11:12 AM

If Blacks were the public face of the gay movement, gays would still be fighting to decriminalize homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 25June 28, 2020 11:15 AM

You don't care about gay men, R24. You just hate trans women.

I support trans women, but Stonewall was OURS -- gay mens'.

by Anonymousreply 26June 28, 2020 11:16 AM

I've recently heard the same arguments about ACT UP and how problematic they were for not giving more space/attention to black trans women. I guess the white gay men had too much privilege (while dying of AIDS).

by Anonymousreply 27June 28, 2020 11:17 AM

I genuinely want to know your thoughts because I'm in my twenties and didn't live through any of this

But I've always thought that gay rights have really just progressed due to more people coming out, and ultimately the straight family and friends loving and accepting the gay people in their lives outnumber those who reject gay people.

And that this was facilitated against the backdrop of increased communication/media in the 20th century, which allowed people to realise that the phenomenon of homosexuality wasn't that uncommon and that phobias/misconceptions were unfounded

by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2020 1:30 PM

The Times is so silly. It's basically run by HuffPo and Slate now.

by Anonymousreply 29June 28, 2020 1:34 PM

Spoiler alert: they did not.

by Anonymousreply 30June 28, 2020 3:14 PM

r28- Stonewall was step 1. Fighting back. Then it was Harvey Milk who said we had to come out of the closet. That was the way we get equal rights by letting everyone know who we were. I recommend watching the Academy Award winning movie "Milk."

by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2020 7:57 AM

Hi Dustin/R31!

by Anonymousreply 32June 29, 2020 3:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!