Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: "The definition of sophisticated uptown living"

I have always wanted to see one of these front terraced apartments at the Eldorado. Today is the day. One hasn't sold in as long as records go back.

While there's definitely room for improvement, it doesn't disappoint. The French door/window setup in the main living area is a little awkward. Like the Madoff penthouse, it has the terrace and living rooms above and the bedrooms below. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about that kind of setup.

That master bedroom, that's a proper size.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2020 4:40 AM

I approve. With conditions.

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2020 1:33 AM

Well. Those people certainly aren't afraid of patterns, are they?

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2020 1:35 AM

What is a "window assessment"?

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2020 1:38 AM

I have one word for it: Gaudy.

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2020 1:43 AM

It looks like what would have happened if a troupe of circus clowns had invented the cell phone and bought the place, decorating it with their inimitable style.

Except for the morgue kitchen, which looks like you can pull bodies out of the cooler shelves and autopsy them on the stainless steel tables.

by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2020 1:49 AM

R3, there are "36 new windows" in the apartment. It's possible that windows were replaced throughout part or all of the building, the cost of which is being charged to all residents via a monthly assessment.

I like R5's "morgue" kitchen, actually. It looks like it was set up for professional caterers and chefs to do their thing, just like in a good dream I had the other night.

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2020 1:58 AM

Gorgeous bones and rooms - although the decor is ridiculous (but easily changed).

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2020 2:02 AM

Agree with most of what's been said, but love the St. Charles kitchen, an update on the originals from buildings of that era.

The stairs seem immovable and waste a lot of space. The rest of the decor is nightmarish but it's fixable.

What's not? There are no servant's quarters. It's too much to take care of with only day help.

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2020 2:48 AM

Isn't this Bette Midler's apartment? Did anyone else see that somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2020 4:22 PM

Master Bedroom??? Sorry, CANCELED!!

by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2020 4:26 PM

Here is the link to Bette's NYC condo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2020 4:32 PM

Can you just imagine how much the taxes and other assessments on this property are about to jump to make up the budget shortfalls.

by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2020 4:40 PM

What a waste of a good terrace.

Although I would much rather be out there than inside the place.

by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2020 4:44 PM

The blue bedroom is nice.

by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2020 4:50 PM

This is the type of apartment that I, as a young gayling, dreamed I would eventually marry into. I hate my life.

by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2020 4:56 PM

Bye, bye wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2020 5:02 PM

Does anyone know who did the mural in the lobby? I tried but I can't find it online.

by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2020 5:17 PM

This is why I keep coming back to The Data Lounge. I love these threads. It's a magnificent duplex. Great space...magnificent views. The decor gave me a headache. Can you imagine have a few pops and sitting next to those statues with the sunbursts behind them? They would start talking to you! Or try having a few drinks before dinner in that dining room! The balls on that wallpaper would never stop spinning. And as for the kitchen. I cannot imagine wiping every surface 75x's a day in there to keep the smudges at bay.

But I do love the bedroom dedicated to Napoleon. Can you imagine that as you St. Helena?

by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2020 5:40 PM

layout-wise it feels small and boxy - all of those GRAND apartments do. And the current decor is not doing it any favors especially at close to $20,000,000.

The luxury market was tanking right before COVID. Things have gotten considerably worse since then. I think this one is going to see a little price reduction.

by Anonymousreply 19June 30, 2020 5:41 PM

It’s sumptuous. Love everything about it.

by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2020 5:46 PM

That living room is just bizarre, but in a good way. With some magic mushrooms that apartment could be Wonderland or lead you to Narnia with the wardrobe between those two statues in the living room.

by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2020 5:58 PM

I like it and am surprised that I do. Emery Roth isn't a favorite architect because his plans lack the logic and sense of progression that I like, and he just let's things fall as they may sometimes in terms of plan and finish details. Upside down with bedroom floor below...I can live with that no problem, but the plan is this case is better than most of his that I've seen, a bit odd, but it would make sense on the ground I think.

Entry halls are important and this one is...odd, with the stair in the center like a cruise ship. It's not an unattractive space so much as it's a very odd entry, more back of house than front of house. The living room and sitting room are very nice, and what's not to like about all the beautiful bronze windows. (I even like the odd Rajistani sort of wallpaper, or enough to live with it for a while at least.) The huge main bedroom is too vast but I like it, except for the odd spacing of the pier with the beam above, two bays on one side and three on the other. The library made at the base of the stairs on the bedroom floor is a nice touch, the blue bedroom is nice, and I especially like the den (which doesn't look promising on plan.)

The morgue kitchen as R5 aptly described it is off-putting, not for any creepiness factor but for being ugly as sin and rather cheap and modular (though I'm sure not.) But buyers should expect to change kitchens. Seven bathrooms is a little absurd for a 3 or 4 bedroom apartment, but the couple of examples have nothing to complain about.

The terrace is lovely. I like the size which is perfect for small groups of people (disappointing for corporate entertaining I suppose.) And the apartment is at a good position vertically, not so high as to be too wind-whipped and too removed from the city below. It's a gorgeous view. I wish the dining room and the den (and maybe some other spaces?) didn't have those ugly bulkheads for HVAC I assume. They kind of fit given that there are original models for them in the expressed ceiling beans, but they are ugly when not properly placed and sized and proportioned. Emery Roth's apartments always look too low-ceilinged, and this one is saved on that count, just, by the ample windows and natural light.

My grumblings are fairly few, really, and I like the place far more than expected. More than anything for me its huge size and hugely unaffordable price just remove it from something to lust over too much. I always fall hardest for the more or less just beyond reach (or not absurdly out of reach) places and this one overreaches, but it's a fine apartment.

by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2020 6:06 PM

Kudos to the owners for having the balls to make some bold choices. Good for them. Whether others like the decor is irrelevant. If you are spending this kind of money on a residence, any potential buyer is going to want to redo everything anyway. The current owner's choices in art and decor show a very independent and individualistic point of view. I'd love to know who owns this and see some of their other life choices. They obviously don't live a buttoned-down Wall Street broker existence.

by Anonymousreply 23June 30, 2020 6:09 PM

I love it. Decor is very bold and it's "a lot" - love some if it, hate some of it. Love that blue bedroom and the library nook. Most of my "hate" is reserved for the wall paper, yet I like that striped TV room much to my surprise. Overall, the space is just wonderful. As is always said, if you can afford this place, you can afford to have it decorated to your taste.

by Anonymousreply 24June 30, 2020 6:41 PM

Why is there a shower curtain in the bathroom??

Why??

And the rest is tacky.

by Anonymousreply 25June 30, 2020 8:01 PM

It’s absolutely hideous but the worst part is that it is NYC.

by Anonymousreply 26June 30, 2020 9:25 PM

That BABY painting! Argh, the stuff of nightmares! How do they sleep with that baby in the place?

by Anonymousreply 27June 30, 2020 11:06 PM

I was about to ask, R27, if the baby painting came with the place. I can't imagine it anywhere else in the world.

by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2020 12:35 AM

The master bedroom has two bathrooms. That's the peak of civilization.

by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2020 3:31 AM

The baby Chucky painting is unforgivable.

I don't think they have enough... cushions...

by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2020 4:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!