Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Makes Australian Coffee So Good....

....compared to North American coffee?

by Anonymousreply 40July 9, 2020 9:13 AM

Own Brand Racism.

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2020 8:02 PM

OP, I think Vietnamese/Greek/Italian are a huge proportion of Australia and those groups all know good coffee. I think there are also like 200,000 Turkish people there? So yes, lots of good coffee.

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2020 8:06 PM

its the fresh spring water we use to brew it, and the Meth we lovingly mix in amongst our organic fair trade beans for you the customer.

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2020 8:09 PM

The electricity used to heat the water is produced by burning coal. It really makes a flavor difference.

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2020 8:29 PM

New Orleans has chicory as a flavor enhancer for coffee; we have dried wombat shite.

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2020 8:30 PM

Aussie baristas are hotter than their counterparts elsewhere. And their water is better.

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2020 8:41 PM

No one is flatter or whiter than Australians

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2020 9:00 PM

dingo scat

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2020 9:03 PM

It has subtle notes of barbecued shrimp.

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2020 9:20 PM

It's not as good Wilkins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2020 9:42 PM

Starbucks has bombed in Australia, and badly. I think that they had a 2.5% share of the market. Aussie coffee houses rule. Starbucks has a nasty aftertaste.

by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2020 1:49 AM

Kangaroo urine

by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2020 1:54 AM

The fake accent.

by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2020 2:16 AM

I once saw in here a thread about “Indicators that someone is pretentious” and one of the responses was buying coffee from Starbucks.

Only in the USA would Starbucks be considered anything other than swill.

by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2020 2:24 AM

It comes from a land ground under.

by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2020 2:33 AM

OP, pull your shrimp and shove a Barbie up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2020 3:31 AM

We take it really seriously, to the point of an Australian winning barista of the year about 4 years ago. I looked for a June 2020 best coffee in Melbourne CBD article to give a sense of how much people care. Beans are the key thing, they completely define the experience, but even hyped places can have too milky drinks or have bland beans.

In short, I’ll drink Starbucks espresso when I’m overseas if there’s no other option as I’m realistic about caffeine headaches but it’s not good coffee. It tastes burnt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2020 3:56 AM

We take it really seriously, to the point of an Australian winning barista of the year about 4 years ago. I looked for a June 2020 best coffee in Melbourne CBD article to give a sense of how much people care. Beans are the key thing, they completely define the experience, but even hyped places can have too milky drinks or have bland beans.

In short, I’ll drink Starbucks espresso when I’m overseas if there’s no other option as I’m realistic about caffeine headaches but it’s not good coffee. It tastes burnt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2020 3:56 AM

Starbucks is disgusting. They don't make good coffee at all. McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts make much better coffee if we are talking about giant chains. And what's worse are all those nasty sugar bombs they call "coffee" that are basically just deserts.

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2020 6:11 AM

[Quote] McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts make much better coffee if we are talking about giant chains.

7-Eleven's isn't too bad either.

[Quote] Starbucks has bombed in Australia, and badly. I think that they had a 2.5% share of the market. Aussie coffee houses rule.

We already had Gloria Jeans.

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2020 7:08 AM

Steve Irwin's cryogenically frozen jizz

by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2020 7:10 AM

[quote]What Makes Australian Coffee So Good....

They make it from from Jarrah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2020 7:49 AM

Ok I would never think of Australian coffee as good. Yes Melbourne has pretty little lanes, but it just does *not* have a good coffee cultcha.

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2020 8:01 AM

R23, Melbourne is no longer the coffee capital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2020 8:19 AM

Is it true Starbucks went out of business in Australia because it couldn’t compete ?

by Anonymousreply 25June 28, 2020 8:24 AM

Starfucks over estimated their growth potential in the 2000s, aggressively opening dozens of stores half of which closed 5 years later. They are still around today in smaller numbers, still expanding, but more slowly. They have recently branched into some supermarket pre-made coffees lines, roasted beans and mugs, perhaps to better gauge who their buyers are.

They really have no chance of gaining a huge share of the market here, people are fiercely loyal to their local barristers and enjoy their European notions that coffee shops should be romantic and individualised.

by Anonymousreply 26June 28, 2020 11:18 AM

Australia still has Woolworth's, Kmart and Hungry Jacks.

by Anonymousreply 27June 28, 2020 2:29 PM

Koalas are fed coffee beans and they poop them out and their digestive juices changes the coffee flavor much in the same way civet poop coffee is prized for its nasty flavor.

Of course, the best Australian poop coffee comes from Helen Reddy's butt. You would think it would be Nicole Kidman's butt but there was some kind of interaction with the botox and instead of coffee we got the movie "Australia."

Sometimes you just shouldn't mess with nature, know what I mean?

by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2020 3:21 PM

Don’t give up your day job, R28.

by Anonymousreply 29June 28, 2020 9:01 PM

It's brewed in drip bears.

by Anonymousreply 30June 28, 2020 10:22 PM

It's made using coffee bean grains only pooped out by AUSTRALIAN civet cats.

by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2020 1:10 AM

People who like good coffee don't drink Starbucks, unless they prefer the flavored sweetened crap.

by Anonymousreply 32June 29, 2020 1:12 AM

Is there a good brand of Aussie coffee you can get in the US? I'm curious now.

by Anonymousreply 33June 29, 2020 1:16 AM

Its lovingly ground under the feet of Aboriginal virgins

by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2020 3:59 AM

Australian coffee comes largely from Vietnamese coffee which are universally considered the worst beans grown anywhere, but they are cheap.

So if you think Australian coffee is good, then you're either just used to it, or you have a weird sense of what is good.

by Anonymousreply 35July 1, 2020 12:55 AM

The soil is fertilized with the semen of Robert Irwin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 1, 2020 1:30 AM

They triple the price and serve it with an accent, and cut off half the words they utter to you in this process.

by Anonymousreply 37July 1, 2020 1:34 AM

I thought that it was from Africa. Like coffee consumed in Europe. North America gets its coffee from South America, right? Which is why it’s not so strong?

by Anonymousreply 38July 1, 2020 1:59 PM

Australia has been growing its own coffee for a couple of years in North Queensland and a couple of other locations, going from just a few acres to around 600 tonnes per year. The farmers have embraced crops like coco and truffles and grapes that are not "supposed" to grown down under and are getting excellent results too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 1, 2020 5:24 PM

So what are white coffee beans like?

by Anonymousreply 40July 9, 2020 9:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!