Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lady Gaga’s Bad Romance

The best pop song of the last 20 years.

Sorry Gaga haters. It’s a fact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 21, 2020 10:31 PM

Partially because “Baby One More Time” is now 21 years old.

I didn’t realize how much Gaga had lost her touch melodically until I revisited The Fame Monster a few weeks ago. It’s almost sad how much better her early music is than Chromatica.

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2020 12:12 PM

I don't think there will be much argument here. This is Gaga's peak, and the rest of her career has been trying to regain that uniqueness including in "Shallow", where she depended on the same Ra-Ra-Ra hook.

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2020 12:14 PM

Wrong. Booty Wave is the best pop somg of the last 20 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2020 12:17 PM

It’s a great pop song. Another one for consideration: Single Ladies by Beyoncé.

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2020 12:28 PM

It’s a perfect song. And a great video.

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2020 3:29 PM

Eh, it's fine. It's better than 90% of the shlock out there, I agree. But the 'best' pop song? I doubt that.

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2020 3:33 PM

It’s shit like all of fugga’s music and her face!

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2020 3:35 PM

I love Lady GaGa as a person, but her music's always just - meh - nothing that special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2020 3:36 PM

snore

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2020 3:45 PM

While Bad Romance is great I think LoveGame has a better hook. And I get a cheap thrill from the words disco stick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2020 3:46 PM

This doesn't reflect well on the state of pop songwriting...

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2020 3:46 PM

Single Ladies is horrible

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2020 4:06 PM

Came out in 2001, and sold much better than Bad Romance, and its a better dance pop song than anything Gaga EVER created.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2020 4:07 PM

I prefer "Poker Face", "Paparazzi" and "Do What U Want" (although the last one is tainted by R Kelly).

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2020 4:11 PM

R13 yeah but we can thank Cathy Dennis for that one.

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2020 4:18 PM

Her first two albums were her most interesting and best. The Fame was more innovative, with some confounding sounds and lyrics, and Fame Monster was a little more slickly produced but still really creative. I agree that Bad Romance (especially the video’s styling) was an apex.

I do wonder what happened. She went from being a pop trifle to a Very Serious Social Justice Warrior, and honestly “Born This Way” is not a very good song. I like “Bad Kid” OK, but she does fail for me when she tries to mesh dance music and serious messaging. I think that’s part of what brings down Chromatica. I read a couple of reviews that say Chromatica is her best and most cohesive album, but there’s nothing on it that stands out as memorable to me. It’s good pop music all the way through, but it feels paint by numbers.

“My name isn’t Alice, but I keep lookin’ for Wonderland” is...OK? Who cares?

“When I was young, I prayed for lightning...I found myself without a prayer/I lost my breath but no one cared” is self-aggrandizing Madonna dreck.

Wrong direction lyrically, Gaga. Shut your Playboy mouth and break out your disco stick.

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2020 4:31 PM

I like Gaga, but she was propped up by RedOne and Fernando Garibay early on.

Left on her own, we get those hookless piano bar songs that don’t translate into great pop, even when retooled with a dance beat.

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2020 4:48 PM

Agree. RedOne and Rob Fusari made great music with her, and an unbridled Nicola Formichetti visually styled her to become a pop culture idol.

Apart from them, she has proved she has tenacity and real performative talent, but her songs have lost their magic and when she goes for shock and awe with her visual style these days, she comes across more like a rent-a-Gaga than a creative visionary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2020 4:56 PM

I'd vote Sia's Chandelier or Adele's Hello over this mess.

Katy Perry's Dark Horse, too.

Rihanna's Umbrella, Diamonds...

All better than this.

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2020 5:38 PM

This new song “Plastic Doll” sounds like it was written for Katy Perry. From the opening instrumentation to the way that Gaga performs the vocals, it sounds like Katy Perry. Why would Gaga reduce herself to paint-by-numbers pop?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2020 5:45 PM

I do like this track a lot. It has a mid-90s dance-pop percussion, and the lyrics, trite as they are, make sense to me with the “sweet” K-pop vocals juxtaposed against Gaga’s comparatively “sour” voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2020 5:49 PM

"We Are Young" by Fun. is a better song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 27, 2020 5:57 PM

The more I listen to Chromatica the more I like it. I love Sine from above and 911.

by Anonymousreply 23June 27, 2020 6:18 PM

R23 I like Sine from Above except that the misspelling of “sign” suggests there’s going to be some kind of mathematical analogy and there is none. “I heard a sine” is a stupid line. And Elton John’s role feels gratuitous.

by Anonymousreply 24June 27, 2020 6:24 PM

R19 “Chandelier” is a great call and an absolutely magnificent song. It has, what, three distinct hooks? Brilliant vocal, too.

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2020 6:10 AM

Bad Romance is great but I wouldn't put it in my top 10 songs of the century. I'd argue Alejandro is her finest moment.

Chandelier, Can't Get You Out Of My Head, Call The Shots and Crazy In Love would probably be in my top 10, along with this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2020 6:27 AM

It really is. It's a genius-level piece of pop music. Wildly inventive lyrically, thematically, and aesthetically (the video)

by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2020 7:52 PM

And Single Ladies is horrible

by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2020 7:53 PM

I prefer Paparazzi because of the video with Alexander Skarsgård

by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2020 8:15 PM

I cringe when I hear the whoa oh oh, oh oh oh part of Single Ladies. Awful song all around.

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2020 1:13 AM

Mine is Crazy In Love ❤️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2020 1:17 AM

Genius??? I see Stef found her way here.

by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2020 1:23 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2020 3:58 AM

R33 I’m loving the way disco has found its way back to pop music. Doja Cat (who is fabulous), Dua Lipa and Carly Rae Jepsen are all using it to great effect.

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2020 12:00 PM

Love Bad Romance. Among other great pop hits of the last twenty years is Chris Brown - With You. Just magnetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2020 4:34 PM

Starships is up there as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2020 4:35 PM

Still sounds fresh 13 years later. Come back to us Riri!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 21, 2020 10:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!