Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

US: 47,093 new Coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours

That's very concerning.

Are you worried?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310July 9, 2020 12:02 PM

Not worried because I’m not stupid enough to not wear a mask and I have enough sense to continue social distancing.

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2020 12:31 AM

We barely beat out Brazil today by only 296 cases - I think we can do better if we want to stay #1!

USA! USA! USA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2020 12:31 AM

I am very concerned.

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2020 12:34 AM

So, we officially abondon hope that it won't be as infectuous in summer? Or would it even be worse in the cold?

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2020 12:37 AM

Worldometer isn't the best for exact numbers. Trends, yes. But they're consistently off on California. The day California hit over 7K, Worldometer showed only 4.9k and they constantly overstate NY.

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2020 12:41 AM

This is a shocking number. That this many people were getting tests, even. Plus all the people who were negative. It’s very sad.

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2020 12:44 AM

Once you are all worried out... it's like whatever at this point. Just do the best you can.

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2020 12:45 AM

I have faith in California because our death toll is not as big compared to our population size.

Can we afford to lose a few deplorables with Covid? Sorry red states, you will have to be sacrificed.

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2020 12:45 AM

[quote]Once you are all worried out... it's like whatever at this point. Just do the best you can.

I sadly agree. All my family got covid and I lost my grandma. After going through it you stop thinking about it. Protect yourself, but you can't help others if they don't want to be helped. Like whatever, die if you want to.

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2020 12:48 AM

I've found Worldometer to be consistently fairly accurate R5. Obviously when collecting case reporting from hundreds of countries and states/provinces within those countries, every day there is going to be occasions when some numbers aren't 100% correct until they are corrected/updated. But all in all - fairly reliable and accurate. It's also in an excellent and easy to absorb format.

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2020 12:49 AM

I'm very sorry to hear you lost your grandma R9. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2020 12:49 AM

R8 - that's the thing. I feel like the only thing that will wake up these red states and crack the Republican / Trump cult is massive deaths of their loved ones.

THEY are the ones politicizing masks and creating conspiracy theories and browbeating those of us who are compliant.

Personally, this is proving the pro-science Dems right. They can't deny it once they contract it and have illness and deaths of their own.

So, BRING IT ON.

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2020 12:50 AM

And yet my stupid ass employer keeps talking about how we’re going to start gradually going back into the building in July.😡. Why the fuck are they so desperate to push us back into a building when WFH is working fine?

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2020 12:51 AM

Very good point R12.

Isn't it mindboggling that somehow Coronavirus has been turned into a right/left political stance about whether you believe the science/medical information and whether you choose to do the right thing to keep other people safe or not. And the divide has become brutal and violent.

I will never understand how this politicization of Coronavirus has taken hold.

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2020 12:59 AM

And when this is over, we will forget because the idiots won’t discuss it and you fucking do-gooders will be too polite to make serious reforms regarding standards of cleanliness and public access to sanitation.

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2020 12:59 AM

R14 - surely you understand how it is being politicized from Trump down to Republican governors to local officials and these lockdown protestors who seemed to show up to several protests in different states.

They (Trump and Republicans) politicize everything - but now it's real and their hopes of recovery have been dashed by people NOT doing the right thing because...they politicized it!

They pointed and laughed at New York and all the liberals and how the 'true' Americans weren't getting it. Well, here we fucking go.

And they will still not wear masks - they won't reverse course. So we're going to be dealing with this until a vaccine - and even then, they will protest against the vaccine.

Let them die. They were joking about all the big cities and what was happening to the libs, so turnaround is fair game. Massive deaths - can't wait for the spin on this.

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2020 1:06 AM

Where I live the news reported that the majority of new cases were in the 20-30 group - you know, the ones who went to bars on weekends and didn't mask. For everybody else, the growth was the same as it has been.

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2020 1:08 AM

R10, the best example of how workdometer is always off can be seen in yesterday's number with California. It's off most days with California and it usually understates the increase. Yesterday wasn't a one off thing with California either.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2020 1:08 AM

Yes I get that R16.

Sorry - my post was badly badly worded. It's not that I don't understand where the drive to politicize it has come from (Trump, GOP, QAnon crackpots and Evangelicals).

It's more that I don't understand the level of gross stupidity in such a large number of people.

I don't think I had realized just how bad things had gotten until now.

Agree with you about just let them die. The sad issue is that health care workers and people who have done all the right things to stay safe are more likely to be the ones to die. Any vaccine will be years away - if at all. Then if we even get a vaccine - those people won't take it!

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2020 1:13 AM

And, r10, while its a small descrepancy, Pennsylvania is off with today's numbers. Johns Hopkins is far better with accuracy.

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2020 1:14 AM

I’ve gone back to work 30 lbs heavier we have to wear masks and every step we make has been mapped out.On concrete floors. It’s always longer And the break room is upstairs. I can’t breathe and I can’t walk the increased steps. I will probably have to quit the job I have been doing30 + years.

by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2020 1:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 27, 2020 1:15 AM

GOOD JOB PROTESTORS- You're now all infected.

by Anonymousreply 23June 27, 2020 1:15 AM

[quote] I will never understand how this politicization of Coronavirus has taken hold.

That's because of US citizens' relationship with conservative US media. The paid shills, aka pundits, who sell their masters' narrative to their audience. They are the ones to blame. Using fear, anger, confusion, frustration, lies / deliberate misinformation as means of creating a hostile "us vs. them" dynamic.

by Anonymousreply 24June 27, 2020 1:16 AM

R19 - yes I know you knew why and how it was politicized, I just used it as a chance to expound a bit and blow off some steam.

But you make a great point - hopefully we won't see this take a massive toll on our hospital workers. I pray they have enough gear now and some lessons have been learned.

If Dems don't take this as a rallying call to all US citizens of how dangerous and fucked up the Republican party is, then nothing will ever change the political stalemate we're at.

by Anonymousreply 25June 27, 2020 1:18 AM

I imagine the Deplorables fully expect to receive handouts, help and support from Trump now that it hit them and not just the snowflake Liberals in the big coastal cities like NY. And Trump and his administration will be in a tough position to tell their followers that they have to toughen it out since Trump can't afford to look weak now so close to the election and favor lockdown and other safety procedures.

by Anonymousreply 26June 27, 2020 1:22 AM

I think this is a good site for tracking cases and deaths. I was recording the numbers early on. On March 18th there were 218,177 cases and 8,805 had died globally. Today, the numbers are 9,776,392 cases and 493,604 deaths...in three months and one week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 27, 2020 1:23 AM

Spot on R23. They werre all out there acting like idiots and now they've increased the numbers.

by Anonymousreply 28June 27, 2020 1:23 AM

[quote] R14: I will never understand how this politicization of Coronavirus has taken hold.

I can explain. Trump has refused to wear a mask. From the beginning. Later, he told a reporter to remove his mask so he could hear the question, which we all could hear, and the reporter declined. Trump then said, “I know you want to be politically correct.”

It caught on from there. Trump is against masks, and he tries to get others to go without masks as well. This is not a “both sides” thing. The CDC recommended these precautions, and Trump has rejected them.

by Anonymousreply 29June 27, 2020 1:23 AM

Sanjay Gupta was on fire tonight on Chris Cuomo. He's normally unflappable, but he was trembly explaining how the U.S. has just seemed to haven "given up".

We sacrificed 2+ mos. of lockdown for this? That was supposed to give the country time to develop contact tracing, ample testing, etc. But when the casualties went down, everybody said run out and play.

by Anonymousreply 30June 27, 2020 1:24 AM

R23 Which protestors?

by Anonymousreply 31June 27, 2020 1:25 AM

I imagine the Deplorables are cheering that their states won't receive funding for coronavirus test sites.

I imagine 65% of Americans delude themselves in thinking there wouldn't be any difference if the electoral college voted for Clinton.

I imagine multiple definitions of population density contribute to the spike in new cases.

by Anonymousreply 32June 27, 2020 1:25 AM

Yes, R27, I agree. Johns Hopkins is way better. I just wish it were easier to navigate.

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2020 1:26 AM

I wouldn't call the idiots at the Trump rally in Tulsa protestors. They are the ones exposed to the virus thanks to Trump's staff.

by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2020 1:26 AM

The protests and early reopening in the south are driving this fiasco.

Governor Desantis refuses to mandate masks and it’s just causing confusion for business owners who now have to close up shop again. Florida’s republican leadership is trash.

by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2020 1:29 AM

Where's the evidence that the BLM protests had anything to do with this?

It's the mask thing that's driving this. Always has been. Look at all the Asian countries - only difference is that they wore masks from Day 1.

by Anonymousreply 36June 27, 2020 1:31 AM

We're really circling the bowl in 2020, aren't we America?

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2020 1:31 AM

The John Hopkins site make my iPad crash.

by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2020 1:32 AM

Yeah, I hate the bloated dashboards that most states use. Give me something less fancy looking and user friendly.

by Anonymousreply 39June 27, 2020 1:34 AM

Well, R39, here you go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 27, 2020 1:36 AM

The page isn't loading, r40.

by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2020 1:37 AM

Here’s another. I’m going to paste a few counters so you all can pick your poison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 27, 2020 1:38 AM

r35-, EXACTLY. r31 Notice the uptick began approx 2 weeks after the protests began.

by Anonymousreply 43June 27, 2020 1:38 AM

People getting Unemployment are travelling, taking those long put-off vacations. And where do people go? The Sunbelt.

by Anonymousreply 44June 27, 2020 1:39 AM

Johns Hopkins site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 27, 2020 1:39 AM

I think this is the last one. It was my preferred site until we flattened the curve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 27, 2020 1:41 AM

What, me worry?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 27, 2020 1:41 AM

[quote] The protests and early reopening in the south are driving this fiasco

WABC: Despite warnings from medical professionals and public officials about the dangers of large gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic, roughly a month after protests against the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis began, major US cities including New York City have not seen a significant increase in COVID-19 cases.

by Anonymousreply 48June 27, 2020 1:41 AM

Americans just can't grasp the idea of an epidemic until it gets so bad that they themselves get affected. But by the time the majority get on board of the reality train, it would be too late to control the spread anyway.

by Anonymousreply 49June 27, 2020 1:42 AM

The protests were happening around the same time that all the southern states were relaxing their guidelines and "reopening". From what I saw most of them were wearing masks. I doubt that was a major cause. The huge increase in apathy over the virus has happened over the past month.

by Anonymousreply 50June 27, 2020 1:43 AM

This is the last counter/graph that I have. You can check your own state. Also, there is that guy with the emojis on the other thread who reports regularly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 27, 2020 1:44 AM

Spot on R37!

by Anonymousreply 52June 27, 2020 1:44 AM

Hilarious that the trolls blame the BLM protests for spreading the virus. The BLM protestors wore masks and practiced social distancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 27, 2020 1:46 AM

I don't live in Trumplandia so I am not concerned.

by Anonymousreply 54June 27, 2020 1:46 AM

R47, it works for me. I don’t know what the problem might be, sorry. That’s a good summary.

by Anonymousreply 55June 27, 2020 1:46 AM

R53 - they're stupid and they've got nothing else to blame it on.

BLM protests have nothing to do with the increases in FL, TX or AZ.

by Anonymousreply 56June 27, 2020 1:48 AM

I don’t know exactly how to put this, but Americans have been risking their lives for justice since the Revolution. That’s what I think about the protests.

by Anonymousreply 57June 27, 2020 1:49 AM

Oh, that's a good one, r51. Thanks. It has the correct number for PA!

by Anonymousreply 58June 27, 2020 1:53 AM

I think the poster was referring to all of the ammosexuals who were out demanding states open so they could do whatever ammosexuals do.

No masks and in each other's busted grills.

The BLM protests seemed to be massive everywhere except the areas where the virus is spreading like crazy.

by Anonymousreply 59June 27, 2020 1:54 AM

I can't believe every state didn't mandate wearing a mask indoors.

by Anonymousreply 60June 27, 2020 1:55 AM

My state did, R60, but half of the population still doesn’t wear them and nobody’s enforcing it.

by Anonymousreply 61June 27, 2020 1:58 AM

You know what could've prevented all this? Everybody important like Trump, his administration, the entire media getting behind the slogan "We're in this together". Doing what's necessary to keep yourself and others safe. But of course, Trump had other plans.

by Anonymousreply 62June 27, 2020 1:58 AM

I just looked at my brother’s state. My brother’s girlfriend had a fever for a week and couldn’t get a test when she had it. They assume it was COVID. I think that means she’s not counted in the total. That suggests that the total of those who got sick is much higher than is counted.

by Anonymousreply 63June 27, 2020 1:58 AM

[quote]That suggests that the total of those who got sick is much higher than is counted.

The CDC estimated today that the actual infection rate is 10 times the official number — meaning more than 20 million Americans have had the virus.

by Anonymousreply 64June 27, 2020 2:01 AM

I'm not worried. This is a pandemic...it happens every 10-15 years or so. Eventually herd immunity will help resolve the crisis, probably within the next year or so.

by Anonymousreply 65June 27, 2020 2:03 AM

I was so scared of Covid that I didn't join the protests. I almost feel as if it would have been worth it when I see what's going on.

by Anonymousreply 66June 27, 2020 2:04 AM

Exactly, R62. An early speech about what we are really facing. About shared sacrifice.

Here is the speech, abbreviated, that Churchill gave when he first became Prime Minister. He talks about months of struggle, and having nothing to offer except [italic] blood, toil, sweat, and tears [/italic] This is the kind of speech any leader could have given at the beginning of this virus and people would have rallied around him. Instead, the President lies to us because he doesn’t want to give bad news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 27, 2020 2:08 AM

r65 that's an incredibly ignorant opinion.

1) They don't happen every 10-15 years.

2) There's potentially severe health consequences for those who SURVIVE COVID-19. See the linked article. They don't know enough about the virus yet and its long-term ramifications, but the signs are not good.

3) For "herd immunity" to work you'd have to infect over 80% of the population, which means 4 million or more people would die, and the ones that have the more severe forms of the virus can end up like are outlined in the article below, which is a much bigger percentage. Lifelong health problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 27, 2020 2:09 AM

Thank you, R68. My God!

by Anonymousreply 69June 27, 2020 2:11 AM

Oh, and I should also add - they don't know how long antibodies will stay in your system and how long you'll be protected from reinfection, once you do get it. There's simply not enough data yet. And the virus is mutating slowly, but it is mutating, so who knows what will happen if 300 million people are infected with it.

by Anonymousreply 70June 27, 2020 2:11 AM

From R68’s article:

[quote]there will be a huge healthcare expenditure and burden for individuals who have survived COVID-19.

And just this week, Trump renewed his bid to overturn Obamacare and its coverage of pre-existing conditions.

by Anonymousreply 71June 27, 2020 2:16 AM

As I watch the news about this virus, I am reminded of the movie [italic] “The Omega Man” [/italic] and it’s remake with Will Smith. The last survivor of a plague watches and rewatches the TV that he had recorded, including news reports about the virus from when the disease was new, to later when things are starting to fall apart.

by Anonymousreply 72June 27, 2020 2:16 AM

No, because I carry a BLM sign, so the virus thinks I'm protesting.

by Anonymousreply 73June 27, 2020 2:18 AM

[quote]I'm not worried. This is a pandemic...it happens every 10-15 years or so.

Absolutely false R65 you liar.

The world hasn't seen anything like this for 100 years - since the Spanish Flu (which actually started in Kansas). [bold]Fact[/bold]. The Spanish Flu killed approximately 675,000 Americans over a 12 - 18 month time period. It killed up to 50 million people worldwide over that time. The Spanish Flu was the last major pandemic the world has seen. [bold]Fact[/bold].

And if we let it go unchecked like what is being done right now in the US, Coronavirus will do exactly the same thing. And for those who contract it and survive - we don't yet know the long term consequences or whether a person can get it more than once. [bold]Fact[/bold].

Then there are the disproportionate numbers of healthcare workers who contract it and die because of people like you who don't care about anybody else. As long as you're fine then just fuck everybody else right? [bold]Fact[/bold].

Let's hope it gets you first in your quest for herd immunity.

So far - more Americans have died from Coronavirus than died in WW1. Again - that's a [bold]FACT[/bold].

by Anonymousreply 74June 27, 2020 2:43 AM

R72 - you mean "I am Legend" right?

by Anonymousreply 75June 27, 2020 2:44 AM

And most in red states. Your president doesn't wear a mask. You don't need to wear one.

by Anonymousreply 76June 27, 2020 2:59 AM

Yes, R75.

by Anonymousreply 77June 27, 2020 3:09 AM

Chris Cuomo said tonight he is still experiencing the aftereffects of his infection. And contacts he's made since then have shared their own stories of fatigue and continued shortness of breath.

I believe I had It in late-February. I'm long-recovered, but last week I was so fatigued I felt like someone was slipping me roofies. Just dragged myself through the week (also my 'stools' were grayish instead of brownish). I self-medicated with caffeine.

But this week I'm fine and full of energy.

by Anonymousreply 78June 27, 2020 3:12 AM

Most of the "big spread events" seem to be gatherings for graduations, family gatherings and beach houses. I love College Football, but they are going to end up shutting all the school training camps down soon.

by Anonymousreply 79June 27, 2020 3:12 AM

Gays, the Deplorables not wearing masks aren’t just killing themselves; they’re killing you.

The mask is likely most effective at preventing transmission by limiting aerosol particles movement from the infected person’s respiratory system.

We wear the mask to protect others, not ourselves.

It’s a very ugly face that the US is showing. Denial of science and denial of personal responsibility for the well-being of others. Wholly in the with the national leadership.

And let’s face it; it’s not just Deplorables who don’t care.

Americans just can’t be inconvenienced.

I’ve never been more sad to be one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 27, 2020 3:14 AM

I was in an elevator today, maximum, 2 people allowed, and though I was 3 or more feet from the other guy, I could smell his breath. If you can smell someone’s breath, it’s possible they are passing something to you. Oh, we both wore masks.

by Anonymousreply 81June 27, 2020 3:21 AM

Finally it’s hitting the deplorables! You reap what you sow. You elect DeSantis you get his leadership. I don’t feel bad for them at all. In fact I’m glad. We need fewer deplorables in this country. Bye.

by Anonymousreply 82June 27, 2020 3:23 AM

Actually, masks can help you from getting infected with a high viral load. You need around 1,000 particles to be infected, regular close human talking or coughing can expose you to 10,000. But a mask limits that to around 2,000.

If you get a smaller amount of viral load, you may be able to fight it off - this is most likely what the asymptomatic people are: those who had some but not too much of an infection load.

So, wearing a mask is good for others AND for you.

by Anonymousreply 83June 27, 2020 3:43 AM

You really think it was his breath you were smelling?

by Anonymousreply 84June 27, 2020 4:10 AM

My coworker who sits across the row from me in a cube farm came down with some shit at the beginning of March. She was out for three days then, like a dumbass, she came into the office hacking and coughing.

Swore up and down she didn't have it. The next day, she was in the hospital on oxygen.

Once the governor issued the stay at home order, we were sent home.

Two months later, they called us and said come back in and pick up your equipment to telework. They didn't do it from jump because they didn't think that far ahead.

Anyway, when we went back into the office, she was there. Mind you, she had been out since the beginning of March and this was at the beginning of June and she said she STILL feels like shit.

She said she thought she was going to die, it was so bad. She couldn't catch her breath and even going to the toilet made her exhausted.

She's in her early 50's and not overweight. She is a smoker, though, so that probably didn't help.

The point is, she STILL gets tired and out of breath easily. She thinks she still has it and her kids won't let her leave the house. They are worried she will have a car wreck or pass out somewhere since she can't catch her breath sometimes and gets dizzy from it.

You DO NOT WANT THIS SHIT, people. The long term damage is real.

by Anonymousreply 85June 27, 2020 4:11 AM

Thanks R83! I always believed that!

by Anonymousreply 86June 27, 2020 4:21 AM

It’s largely happening in red states where people aren’t social distancing and are basically in denial. So I’m concerned but not TOO concerned.

by Anonymousreply 87June 27, 2020 4:37 AM

R86 - I'm just piecing info together from the past few months from different interviews and articles I saw.

Not sure why they don't talk about viral loads, but it is always an important component.

by Anonymousreply 88June 27, 2020 5:19 AM

it does seem to spread less easily outdoors. So I'd be less worried about protests and mass beach trips, and more worried about bars/clubs reopening, unofficial houseparties, the Republican convention, &c

by Anonymousreply 89June 27, 2020 5:59 AM

[quote]It’s largely happening in red states

Coronavirus infection rate spiking in California, a troubling sign of community spread.

Of the many coronavirus metrics rising in California, one of the most troubling is the rate in which coronavirus test results are now coming back positive.

As of Friday, 5.7% of coronavirus test results in California over the preceding seven days came back positive, a rate not seen since early May. A week ago, the rate was 4.7%, a rate that had been largely stable for June until just Sunday, when there was a dramatic shift in the numbers.

The state has seen a surge in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations in recent weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 27, 2020 12:14 PM

by Anonymousreply 91June 27, 2020 4:15 PM

It's starting to spike in Pittsburgh.

by Anonymousreply 92June 27, 2020 4:23 PM

I'm awaiting the Republican Convention with eager anticipation and glee.

Watching these fuckers make jack asses out of themselves by nominating Trump will be fun enough, but to know they're all going to get sick and die while doing so is too precious for words.

Who knows, Trump and his dirtball scumbag clan may even get sick and die. Justifiably, I might add,, as this COVID shit is all because of Trump's mishandling it from the get go.

by Anonymousreply 93June 27, 2020 4:26 PM

It's mostly younger people getting infected and then spreading it. Whether they're asymptomatic or not, they're spreading it.

by Anonymousreply 94June 27, 2020 4:32 PM

[Quote] It's mostly younger people {who don't care because their Mommy & Daddy told them the world revolves around them} getting infected and then spreading it. Whether they're asymptomatic or not, they're spreading it.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 95June 27, 2020 4:37 PM

this is terrifying. the US is in a complete free fall

by Anonymousreply 96June 27, 2020 4:44 PM

We need to stop testing. Then there will be zero new cases. Problem solved!

by Anonymousreply 97June 27, 2020 4:49 PM

R96 oh sure, Oleg 🙄

by Anonymousreply 98June 27, 2020 5:12 PM

I see this as less of a political problem and more of an American problem. Of course you have the deplorables wanting to prove a point whatever that is, but now the positivity rates are coming from people under 40, family get togethers, birthdays, a girls night out at the bar. I'm guessing the generation before the boomers (maybe boomers) were the last generation to really have to sacrifice for the long haul. Certainly not Gex X, Millenials, or Gen Z. We are used to quick fixes, quick solutions, and when we have an enemy, going to war with them. With smart phones, social media, 24 hour news streams, Americans collectively have a form of ADD. People don't have the attention span to read an article, we just look at the pretty pictures in IG and keep scrolling. We don't have the discipline, compliance mentality, or constitution that would allow for the truly draconian measures required to mitigate this virus until we get a vaccine. As much as we want to say Red or Blue states, unfortunately it's all our problems. What happens in Texas effects us all. It just takes one super spreader on vacation or business trip to create a cluster and them we know the pattern...case, case, cluster, cluster, BOOM!

by Anonymousreply 99June 27, 2020 5:15 PM

Nevada hits a new high at 1099 with only 2 deaths. A Caesars worker passed from Covid19 a few days ago, which is said to have precipitated their company rule that all customers must wear masks.

by Anonymousreply 100June 27, 2020 5:49 PM

+9600 in FL today (so far)

by Anonymousreply 101June 27, 2020 6:28 PM

Goodbye, Florida!

by Anonymousreply 102June 27, 2020 6:33 PM

The daily numbers are amazing. 10,000 in one day in Florida! Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 103June 27, 2020 6:57 PM

Why do people still think there is only one bugaboo? This thing has traveled all over the world and mutated into different strains.

I bet everyone is catching something similar but different. That's why their reactions range from nothing... to death.

by Anonymousreply 104June 27, 2020 6:59 PM

[quote]+9600 in FL today (so far)

Yesterday it felt like, meh that's what they get, but I can't not feel bad for them. This is very sad. It's so tragic to see them do this to themselves.

I mean why can't they be responsible?

by Anonymousreply 105June 27, 2020 7:03 PM

Waiting. Waiting. Still waiting...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 27, 2020 7:56 PM

[quote]Why do people still think there is only one bugaboo?

Because that's what the testing shows.

by Anonymousreply 107June 27, 2020 8:21 PM

I agree with R107. We would not hear it from Trump . We might hear about it from the CDC, or from a foreign announcement or the Press. ,

by Anonymousreply 108June 27, 2020 10:08 PM

Why are cases spiking so much in places where masks are required? Could it be that while effective, they are not as important as social distancing?

by Anonymousreply 109June 27, 2020 10:54 PM

It's because people are sick of quarantines and are getting together without masks. They don't have to have been in a big crowd.

by Anonymousreply 110June 27, 2020 10:56 PM

The Trumpers are SO furious that this is happening TO Trump.

They clearly would rather die than wear a mask like the dumb dems are promoting.

There may be a great deal fewer of them by the end of this pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 111June 27, 2020 10:58 PM

What R110 said plus the protests and bars reopening. That’s why it’s most younger people for now. The older crowd will be starting catching it from their kids and grandkids in due time.

by Anonymousreply 112June 27, 2020 10:59 PM

Now the governors of Florida and Texas say they regret the decisions they made to reopen their states too early. Now, people are predicting Miami and Houston may outpace New York City in the virus's severity. I sincerely hope these two men resign soon. Let more reasonable people take over. They have blood on their hands, both of them.

by Anonymousreply 113June 27, 2020 11:16 PM

R113 "I sincerely hope these two men resign soon. "

I hope they are prosecuted for violating their oath of office.

by Anonymousreply 114June 27, 2020 11:25 PM

R113 they will never resign. There's no shame among Republicans anymore. And their followers will twist their brains into knots justifying it.

by Anonymousreply 115June 27, 2020 11:27 PM

If this disease can be caught multiple times, and has a 3% death rate, wouldn’t it eventually kill everyone in the planet? Excepting groups of people who gather in the end in small farming groups That refuse entry to strangers.

It reminds me of the introduction of smallpox to the Americas. Or of various die-offs in ancient history that are inexplicable today. I wish I had more factual info about this virus.

by Anonymousreply 116June 27, 2020 11:33 PM

We're working on it, r116!!!

by Anonymousreply 117June 27, 2020 11:35 PM

Well, chop-chop, R117. Hop to it.

by Anonymousreply 118June 27, 2020 11:39 PM

I wish from day one they would have classified each positive test as either "tested due to symptoms" or "tested without symptoms". A lot of deniers are explaining away these surges because there is more testing being done and they are saying that a lot of the positives are for people with no symptoms who were tested because "they tested the entire factory" or "the entire nursing home" or "the entire assisted living facility" or "the entire sports team".

by Anonymousreply 119June 27, 2020 11:43 PM

A lot of deniers are saying that people are dying WITH Covid, not because of it.

by Anonymousreply 120June 27, 2020 11:47 PM

I find the Johns Hopkins site incomprehensible. At least worldometers lays it all out clearly, even if it may sometimes be off with a few figures, which doesn't really matter anyway.

by Anonymousreply 121June 27, 2020 11:48 PM

Even though Cuomo is trying to take credit, I think the virus has already peaked in New York. I think the mortality rate will be similar across all the states, it'll just take several months instead of several weeks. The good news is that we already have better treatments than we did initially. The main problem is although most states have been reopening responsibly, a sizable minority of people have not been following the recommendations which are difficult to enforce especially in public places.

by Anonymousreply 122June 27, 2020 11:50 PM

I don't get why someone in Podunk, Nowhere gets it and dies- having never travelled or been in a viral load environment. But a bunch of maskless partiers who live on pizza, booze, drugs and cigarettes hunker together in teeming environments... and get nothing.

by Anonymousreply 123June 27, 2020 11:58 PM

R122 Similar mortality rates relative to population, not those who were reported infected. There was insufficient testing done during the outbreak in New York. It could be significantly lower depending on the effectiveness of new treatments.

by Anonymousreply 124June 28, 2020 12:07 AM

My sister on Long Island had ‘the worst flu” of her life back in March. The doctor told her it was type “A” flu, but I wonder..

At the end of March, I had mild symptoms - a dry cough, fatigue in doing almost anything, aches. I had one day of a fever, with chills, of 101°f, and that’s never happened before. The fever was inexplicable. I also had headaches, and I never get them. I had the nasal swab test; cheek swab test; and the blood test, and all were negative. I have no idea how reliable those tests are, so I am suspicious as to whether or not I had a mild case. It would be nice to get this over with.

by Anonymousreply 125June 28, 2020 12:22 AM

R110, in Pittsburgh it's the 20 and 30 somethings going out to bars without masks.

There is no spike in places where protestors wore masks. I repeat, there is no spike in places where protestorx wore masks.

Masks work.

And R121, worldometer is off on California yet again today...like it is everyday. It's also off in NY and PA.

by Anonymousreply 126June 28, 2020 12:31 AM

[quote] There is no spike in places where protestors wore masks. I repeat, there is no spike in places where protestorx wore masks.

Just keep repeating it to yourself. It may just become true.

by Anonymousreply 127June 28, 2020 12:33 AM

The beginning of February, I was super sick. Throwing up, fever, chills, body aches. It took an entire week to go back to normal. There were even a few times I thought I was about to blackout. I had not had been sick like that in decades. At the time, COVID was still considered something that was just affecting China and it was still barely being talked about in early February, but now I can’t help but to wonder. Like I said, I hadn’t been that sick in decades.

by Anonymousreply 128June 28, 2020 12:41 AM

[quote] R123: I don't get why someone in Podunk, Nowhere gets it and dies- having never travelled or been in a viral load environment. But a bunch of maskless partiers who live on pizza, booze, drugs and cigarettes hunker together in teeming environments... and get nothing.

In 1918, there was a western US town that closed its borders to people coming in or out. It worked for a while, but then everybody still got sick. They thing that particular virus came in with the mail.* In our globally mixed up world, that virus is probably on container ships; packed into meat at one of those infestations at the food production plants. Etc.

Courtesy of Ken Burns

by Anonymousreply 129June 28, 2020 1:05 AM

R129 Depending on the virus it could survive up to a week on certain surfaces.

by Anonymousreply 130June 28, 2020 1:13 AM

R129 the world was a lot smaller back then, though.

by Anonymousreply 131June 28, 2020 1:16 AM

Donate blood. They'll test you for antibodies.

by Anonymousreply 132June 28, 2020 2:15 AM

#128, that's very similar to my experience, in late-February. I thought I had food poisoning. The fever lasted about 2 days, then I sweated it out. The grinding fatigue lasted about 3 days. But the general malaise took a couple weeks to fade. When I burped a foul odor would come out, and I felt a little bit nauseous and wobbly for while.

My first symptom was diarrhea, the 2nd symptom was vomiting. I didn't get any of the respiratory symptoms, I think because I've never smoked.

by Anonymousreply 133June 28, 2020 2:27 AM

Doctors are worried so I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 134June 28, 2020 2:40 AM

An emergency alert, like an Amber alert, was issued in Bexar County, Texas tonight, telling residents to Stay Inside as the COVID-19 was spiking and hospitals are at capacity. San Antonio is in Bexar County and reported 795 new cases today.

by Anonymousreply 135June 28, 2020 3:23 AM

Remember when India seemed untouched, like they had some kind of natural immunity or something?

Update.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 28, 2020 3:36 AM

Remember when India seemed untouched, like they had some kind of natural immunity or something?

Update.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 28, 2020 3:36 AM

Houston, the number one COVID-19 hotspot in Texas, will be hotter than Hell July 16-18 at the George R. Brown Convention Center, as 6,000 Republicans hold their national convention. No masks required.

by Anonymousreply 138June 28, 2020 3:41 AM

R136, the virus may be spreading but it can takes a while for it to reach the peak of its spread, even if measures are taken. So, with the BLM protests that supposedly did not cause a spike in infections, it's too soon to say because the issue is not simply x number of protestors catching it from other protestors and that all shows up within 2 weeks, but x number - even a small number - of protestors catching it, who then infect other people in their families/communities, and those people go on to infect others, and that phenomenon can take weeks to become noticeable in the figures - as has happened with India and may happen with the BLM protests.

by Anonymousreply 139June 28, 2020 7:49 AM

It's been over a month now, r139. There would be an uptick in the number of cases. Unlike India, places like NY are testing in huge amounts so a spike would show sooner. Also, it wouldn't take as long as you seem to think for a spike, since two weeks is just an average with people showing symptoms in as little as three days.

Pittsburgh reopened bars and restaurants two weeks ago and the city started spiking this week with most cases tracing back to bars, parties and the casino and not the protests. So, using your time theory, a city much larger than Pittsburgh, say NYC, would have shown a far more pronounced spike by now if protests were a problem.

by Anonymousreply 140June 28, 2020 1:18 PM

Well LA is spiking like crazy and we had huge protests here.

by Anonymousreply 141June 28, 2020 1:42 PM

Florida’s spike happened after we had large gatherings and protests some of which turned violent with looting and businesses being torched. My county went from around 3,500 cases two weeks ago to 8,100 from yesterday’s figures.

by Anonymousreply 142June 28, 2020 2:37 PM

Please stop trying to blame the spike on the protests. That is a right wing talking point.

This spike coincided with the relaxing of restrictions across states, reopening bars etc., and people getting tired of lockdowns and ignoring recommendations and no longer social distancing or wearing masks. Anecdotally, I've seen it happen in my state, which didn't have much in the way of protests.

by Anonymousreply 143June 28, 2020 2:39 PM

Ex-Obama health care head Andy Slavitt:

I hate to sound like one of those “elite intellectual” types but if state governors don’t learn to understand (or remember from 2 months ago but whatever) what a time lag is between cases & hospitalizations & deaths we will keep repeating second grade over and over.

Recent news— massive growth of cases, increased hospitalizations— is not the result of today’s action. It is a result is actions in May.

V.P. Pence on Friday insisted that deaths were still not increasing. Again I can’t stress enough the concept of a time lag is a difficult one.

The lag between opening, people testing boundaries, feeling symptoms, deciding to get a test & getting a result is weeks. Hospitalizations a couple weeks later.

If you don’t understand how 2 becomes 4 becomes 16 become 256 then & you’re a governor, stop what you’re doing.

by Anonymousreply 144June 28, 2020 2:46 PM

[quote] Please stop trying to blame the spike on the protests. That is a right wing talking point.

I wouldn't trust anyone trying to politicize this. It's clear you have an agenda and don't give a shit about the facts.

by Anonymousreply 145June 28, 2020 2:49 PM

R145 WHAT facts do you have? What proof?

Post some! You're just talking out of your ass otherwise. There have been several studies done already showing that the protests did not, in fact, cause the big spike we are seeing.

And nice try accusing ME of politicizing it. We know why you're here.

by Anonymousreply 146June 28, 2020 2:52 PM

You have to love clowns like R145. Republicans will politicize their mothers and their children if they knew it would get them a few votes and a few more bucks in their campaign coffers, but God forbid anyone else politicize anything.

by Anonymousreply 147June 28, 2020 2:54 PM

R146 There's literally hours and hours worth of documentary footage and photos. I'd be wasting my time digging through that. Essentially, I agree with R144 even though I find the timeline somewhat suspect.

by Anonymousreply 148June 28, 2020 2:56 PM

R145 is the same right wing troll from other threads saying Meghan Kelly wasn't wrong when she defended blackface.

by Anonymousreply 149June 28, 2020 2:58 PM

KaraaaaaaanahViiiiiiiirizzzz

by Anonymousreply 150June 28, 2020 2:58 PM

R148 Hours and hours of footage of protests of mostly-masked people does not "prove" anything, other than you're pushing right wing talking points. Rather lazily.

by Anonymousreply 151June 28, 2020 3:01 PM

NYC is going to get hit hard again. People travelling there from hot spots.

by Anonymousreply 152June 28, 2020 3:02 PM

R151 Even a small percentage of asymptomatic people not wearing a mask could lead to a spike. I watched the protests on TV, both local and nationwide coverage, and it wasn't mostly masked people from what I could see. However, even if that were the case, it would still be dangerous given the numbers who were gathering. Not to mention the fact that none of the police officers were wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 153June 28, 2020 3:09 PM

[quote]I wouldn't trust anyone trying to politicize this. It's clear you have an agenda and don't give a shit about the facts.

Let's go to the tape, shall we?

[quote]Why are cases spiking so much in places where masks are required? Could it be that while effective, they are not as important as social distancing?

[quote]Even though Cuomo is trying to take credit, I think the virus has already peaked in New York. I think the mortality rate will be similar across all the states, it'll just take several months instead of several weeks. The good news is that we already have better treatments than we did initially. The main problem is although most states have been reopening responsibly, a sizable minority of people have not been following the recommendations which are difficult to enforce especially in public places.

[quote]R122 Similar mortality rates relative to population, not those who were reported infected. There was insufficient testing done during the outbreak in New York. It could be significantly lower depending on the effectiveness of new treatments.

[quote]Just keep repeating it to yourself. It may just become true.

[quote]R146 There's literally hours and hours worth of documentary footage and photos. I'd be wasting my time digging through that. Essentially, I agree with R144 even though I find the timeline somewhat suspect.

[quote]R151 Even a small percentage of asymptomatic people not wearing a mask could lead to a spike. I watched the protests on TV, both local and nationwide coverage, and it wasn't mostly masked people from what I could see. However, even if that were the case, it would still be dangerous given the numbers who were gathering. Not to mention the fact that none of the police officers were wearing masks.

Someone clearly "has an agenda" on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 154June 28, 2020 3:16 PM

R154 Actually, those posts show the exact opposite. And you have to refute any of those points.

by Anonymousreply 155June 28, 2020 3:21 PM

Actually, R155, those posts clearly show not just an agenda but abysmal ignorance. And I don't have to "refute" any of those points; you have to support them. You did not. And cannot. For example, the hilariously stupid remark, "Why are cases spiking so much in places where masks are required?"

by Anonymousreply 156June 28, 2020 3:36 PM

As long as the Republicans control the White House and Senate, there will be no resolution to the Trumpvirus Pencedemic.

by Anonymousreply 157June 28, 2020 3:38 PM

R156 I said myself that it's because mask laws are difficult to enforce, especially in public places. Transmission also occurs in small gatherings and even in peoples homes. Some of those comments are meant to be sarcastic, obviously, but most of them are in favor of responsible reopening and compliance with guidelines.

by Anonymousreply 158June 28, 2020 3:44 PM

Finally, one can say that the protests and the reopening have led to an increase in infections. That would be an honest, non political answer.

by Anonymousreply 159June 28, 2020 3:59 PM

It's going to get exponentially worse. There was a moment where we could have mitigated this disaster, but we are past that point now. Hence, the terror in the eyes of the doctors and nurses. We are at square one again. 3 months of SIP for nothing. The economy is doomed for the next year at least. I expect Trump to get COVID. If we are lucky enough to get rid of Trump, it will still take Biden 4 yrs to clean up the mess.

by Anonymousreply 160June 28, 2020 4:21 PM

The lockdown was to slow things down so hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed, and states could begin massive testing, get PPE disbursed and get contact tracing up and running. That didn't really happen. The Republicans saw the death rates go down, declared victory and set about trying to save the economy so Turd could get re-elected.

They had the chance to conquer this but their greed caused them to fuck it up. Look at us now.

by Anonymousreply 161June 28, 2020 4:30 PM

Oh well , I guess we need to cancel the election, it's too dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 162June 28, 2020 4:33 PM

[quote] The lockdown was to slow things down so hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed, and states could begin massive testing, get PPE disbursed and get contact tracing up and running.

All those things did happen except for contact tracing. The most effective contact tracing would require mobile tracking, a system that would require people to opt in.

by Anonymousreply 163June 28, 2020 4:37 PM

I hope the majority of people who die from here on are Repigs.

by Anonymousreply 164June 28, 2020 4:38 PM

Florida is at +10,682 new cases today (so far)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165June 28, 2020 4:38 PM

Goodbye, Florida!

by Anonymousreply 166June 28, 2020 5:04 PM

Universal Studios has to lay off people because of very low attendance.

by Anonymousreply 167June 28, 2020 5:08 PM

Florida has tons of old people. The death spiral is going to be tremendous! YUGE

by Anonymousreply 168June 28, 2020 5:08 PM

Link

Disney World still have rime ro do the smart thing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169June 28, 2020 5:10 PM

Not shocking. The rest of the world was doing it right, well except for places like Brazil and Mexico.

America's true place amongst the shitholes of the world is confirmed.

MAGA

by Anonymousreply 170June 28, 2020 5:11 PM

Sigh🤦

Link

Disney World still has time to do the smart thing...

by Anonymousreply 171June 28, 2020 5:12 PM

R171 what? Lay off workers?

by Anonymousreply 172June 28, 2020 5:19 PM

^No, don't reopen yet. (Unless they like layoffs and lawsuits)

by Anonymousreply 173June 28, 2020 5:24 PM

[quote]An emergency alert, like an Amber alert, was issued in Bexar County, Texas tonight, telling residents to Stay Inside as the COVID-19 was spiking and hospitals are at capacity. San Antonio is in Bexar County and reported 795 new cases today.

Bexar County? THIS Bexar County?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174June 28, 2020 5:25 PM

[quote]Houston, the number one COVID-19 hotspot in Texas, will be hotter than Hell July 16-18 at the George R. Brown Convention Center, as 6,000 Republicans hold their national convention. No masks required.

Have you not been paying attention to the Charlotte/Jacksonville convention situation? There was never going to be a Republican national convention in Houston. What you're talking about is the Texas STATE convention.

by Anonymousreply 175June 28, 2020 5:27 PM

R174: YES!!!🦠🦠

by Anonymousreply 176June 28, 2020 5:29 PM

This site is very informative. US is one of the highest per capita in testing. At its peak in mid April, the positivity rate was hovering around 20%. Despite increased cases, the positivity rate has remained roughly the same (5%) since late May. If anyone has the time and patience to dissect all this information, have a it, but remember not all the data we have given from other countries has been reliable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177June 28, 2020 6:12 PM

I expect Trump to get COVID. If we are lucky enough to get rid of Trump, it will still take Biden 4 yrs to clean up the mess.

Four years? Oh my sides. He doesn't HAVE four years. Hate to break it to you but Biden's not long for this world either. Hope his team chooses his running mate wisely. Because he won't be around much longer.

by Anonymousreply 178June 28, 2020 7:07 PM

R175 Thanks for the correction. The bad news is all of the COVID-19 spread will stay in Texas. The hotspots in Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas are going to be one big blob in another month. The state capitol Austin will probably be hit hard after the bigwigs return from the convention.

by Anonymousreply 179June 28, 2020 7:07 PM

[quote]I expect Trump to get COVID. If we are lucky enough to get rid of Trump, it will still take Biden 4 yrs to clean up the mess.

Four years? Oh my sides. He doesn't HAVE four years. Hate to break it to you but Biden's not long for this world either. Hope his team chooses his running mate wisely. Because he won't be around much longer.

by Anonymousreply 180June 28, 2020 7:08 PM

[quote]Some of those comments are meant to be sarcastic, obviously

No, they weren't.

[quote]Finally, one can say that the protests and the reopening have led to an increase in infections. That would be an honest, non political answer.

No, one can't, not if one is being honest and one doesn't have an agenda. There have been two studies thus far. Both have reached the same conclusion: the protests did not lead to an increase in infections.

You have no answer for this, of course, and it doesn't suit your agenda, so you will continue to play games because that's all you have.

by Anonymousreply 181June 28, 2020 7:45 PM

[quote]Recent news— massive growth of cases, increased hospitalizations— is not the result of today’s action. It is a result is actions in May."

Exactly, r144 and even Cuomo has been same similar things about the states that are now seeing a spike. It takes time for the effects to work through on a large scale, it's not simply 1000 people go to a bar that's just opened and the next week 800 of them have Covid-19 symptoms and that's because they went to the bar, or 1000 people go on a BLM march and 2 weeks later only 5 have been infected so that means the marches haven't led to the spread of the infection.

by Anonymousreply 182June 28, 2020 7:53 PM

Except that the BLM protests began nearly five weeks ago, R182, which means that the lag has been sufficient to spot any early trend from the protests. That trend, so far, does not exist.

by Anonymousreply 183June 28, 2020 8:01 PM

What's interesting about this is that, if you read the initial articles, blogs, posts, interviews, etc., most of the protesters and supporters acknowledged that there was a very real chance of an issue with the virus. Rather than simply wishing it away, as rightwing protesters did, they instead made the calculation that protesting for equality, for de-militarizing the police, for community policing, and so on, was more important. This compares to protesting because someone dared to tell you to wear a mask or protesting because your gym or your stylist was closed.

The fact that, weeks later, the fears didn't pan out is somewhat unexpected, as well as being very gratifying. The risk was real; the data indicate that it didn't materialize. The speculation is that because it was outdoors, because a critical number of protesters were masked (you don't need 100% to be effective), and because everyone else stayed indoors, the virus did not spread.

by Anonymousreply 184June 28, 2020 8:09 PM

WTF? ...Today: 2000+ cases removed from Florida and all of Texas numbers removed.

by Anonymousreply 185June 28, 2020 8:31 PM

[quote] This compares to protesting because someone dared to tell you to wear a mask or protesting because your gym or your stylist was closed.

That's a gross oversimplification. Yes, there were some who were just bored, but others were at risk of losing their jobs or livelihoods, and still others had physical or mental health problems which they couldn't seek help for.

Also, not all the Floyd protestors were there for a good cause, some wanted to create chaos or loot.

by Anonymousreply 186June 28, 2020 8:37 PM

JFC. A hundred years ago knew better than today.

Obey the laws, respect the gauze and keep your paws from septic jaws.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187June 28, 2020 8:49 PM

Just a reality check from 102 years ago. I had 4 relatives die of the Spanish flu - IN FUCKING MONTANA. My grandmother on my mother's side lost 3 brothers, and my grandfather on my father's side lost his only brother. In my grandmother's case, that was 3 brothers out of a family of 11, so between a 1/4 and 1/3rd of her family. In my grandfather's case, 1 brother out of a family of 3 - also 1/3rd of the family. Pandemics are real, pandemics kill a lot of people, and there are still loads of people here and elsewhere debating whether they are the right age or the right blood type, or the right weight to avoid the worst of the disease. Wash your fucking hands. Wear your fucking mask. Stay 6 feet or more apart from other people and risk automatically drops a huge amount. It's not that hard, but since we have politicians who are deliberately spreading disinformation, and gullible and ignorant people listening to them, we are in a hell of a state.

by Anonymousreply 188June 28, 2020 9:05 PM

My mother was born in 1923, there's a photo of her after delivery with my grandparents and great aunt. They were all wearing masks. How the fuck can people be so stupid a hundred years later?

Even then, NY knew what they were doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189June 28, 2020 9:25 PM

[quote]That's a gross oversimplification.

No, it really isn't. I've seen the reports, watched the videos, listened to the interviews. Most of those protests weren't about jobs or about health; they were about "how dare you tell me what to do!"

by Anonymousreply 190June 28, 2020 9:49 PM

[quote]Also, not all the Floyd protestors were there for a good cause, some wanted to create chaos or loot.

Yeah, the right-wing agitators.

by Anonymousreply 191June 28, 2020 9:50 PM

We'll never know how many cases because as usual these evil motherfuckers will lie, cheat and steal to avoid responsibility like the good xtians they've been trained to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192June 28, 2020 9:54 PM

True r192 but there are still enough of us out there to show what is really going on. When the phones in specific places, specific "enclaves" stop working everyone knows what's up.

by Anonymousreply 193June 28, 2020 10:06 PM

R183, the spikes seen in some states now are a result of what happened several weeks ago and there wasn't just one protest 5 weeks ago in NYC, there are ongoing protests all the time everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 194June 28, 2020 10:31 PM

R192 There's nothing there that we don't already know. Young people are still far less likely to be hospitalized or show any meaningful symptoms. The US is testing higher than other countries per capita (unless you believe Russia's numbers). The positivity rate (the average rate of infection per number tested) has remained steady for over a month now while the mortality rate continues to drop. It's true that other countries like Canada have been more successful at crushing the curve even though they had the same amount of time to prepare, but those countries have different geographies and and don't have ongoing protests and defiance of guidelines.

Other countries with protests show a spike in cases, yet we're supposed to believe that it's not happening in the US. Sure. Anyway, the problem isn't so much the lack of testing (although we, along with other most affected countries can still do more) but the lack of social distancing which should be obvious to anyone with eyes. However, most people are so embroiled in their own political spin, that they will continue to deny reality.

by Anonymousreply 195June 28, 2020 10:37 PM

I didn't vote for Mike DeWine in Ohio, but I think he has done an admirable job dealing with the virus. Hamilton County, where Cincinnati is located, where I live, has spiked in virus cases in recent days. He said he is willing to introduce new restrictions here, soon. Today I went to a Kroger and realized I saw only a few people wearing masks. I counted for the rest of my visit and I figured only 15% of the people shopping in the store were wearing masks.

We can try to make places safe, most businesses are cooperating. No matter what the Governor and the businesses do, people are not going to wear masks. Period. We were told the virus will dissipate when the summer's warmer weather will be around. It clearly isn't happening. It's going to get much, much worse. Then flu season arrives...

30-40 years ago, everyone in America would be doing their part to keep us all safe. It makes me sad so many people do not care, now.

by Anonymousreply 196June 28, 2020 11:33 PM

What we know is indoor transmission is the best way to transit the virus.

The states getting hit hard allowed people to go to bars and restaurants indoors, and they didn't require people to wear masks at stores.

by Anonymousreply 197June 28, 2020 11:42 PM

Testing is still incredibly important.

by Anonymousreply 198June 28, 2020 11:46 PM

R198 Yes, especially for tracing in emerging hotspots. However, the problem is we don't have effective contact tracing.

by Anonymousreply 199June 28, 2020 11:52 PM

Texas, with its 252 counties, is going to be an awful mess, as we piecemeal begin asking people to do their part. It’s started with Bexar County (San Antonio) last night and now Hidalgo County this afternoon sending out emergency alerts on cell phones, like Amber alerts, asking people to stay at home because hospitals are full and the virus is spreading. No matter what counties, the governor, judges, or anyone else does to caution people, it is too late. The state opened up too early and people are not going to give up their freedom—in lieu of giving up their lives as a consequence. Bodies will pile up.

by Anonymousreply 200June 29, 2020 12:05 AM

Will the "protests caused Coronavirus surge" troll give it a fucking rest already? You are way, way too involved in pushing this agenda for it to be anything other than intentional.

by Anonymousreply 201June 29, 2020 12:22 AM

Texas seems to be cooking the books now, because it's making Governor Abbott look bad.

by Anonymousreply 202June 29, 2020 12:23 AM

^DeSatan too, in Florida. Why are Christians allowed to lie so blatantly, easily and freely without consequence or confrontation?

by Anonymousreply 203June 29, 2020 12:26 AM

Numbers don't mean anything and all those people were going to die anyway, so what difference does it make.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204June 29, 2020 12:29 AM

People so desperately wanted there to be a covid-19 spike due to the protests r201, but the people have looked, there wasn't one. I guess because it was all outdoors.

by Anonymousreply 205June 29, 2020 12:32 AM

[quote]Texas, with its 252 counties,

by Anonymousreply 206June 29, 2020 12:57 AM

Is everyone that lives in Texas a retard?

by Anonymousreply 207June 29, 2020 1:59 PM

Because of the bar shut downs in LA and Texas, a lot of their residents are heading to Vegas for their bar time. I feel really bad for Las Vegas workers because this is just not good. Masks are now required in casinos but not if you're drinking.

by Anonymousreply 208June 29, 2020 3:07 PM

The negative comments about Texas, etc. would have much more of an impact if New York wasn't actually the worst hit state in the US by far.

New York: 31,484 deaths; Texas: 2,416 deaths, and Texas has a much larger population than New York.

by Anonymousreply 209June 29, 2020 3:14 PM

^ And that's even if the numbers are cooked, as some are claiming. There would have to be nearly 30,000 unrecorded deaths in Texas for it to be as bad New York.

by Anonymousreply 210June 29, 2020 3:16 PM

New York is doing it right. The rest of the country can learn from us.

by Anonymousreply 211June 29, 2020 3:19 PM

Population density is much greater in New York than Texas and that's a huge factor.

by Anonymousreply 212June 29, 2020 3:19 PM

Give it time, R209

Give it time.

by Anonymousreply 213June 29, 2020 3:23 PM

In defense of Texans, Californians are just as bad.

Note: Placerville is the last major town on the way to Tahoe. 3 hours away, but might as well be Texas with the rhetoric.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214June 29, 2020 3:26 PM

R209 Texas is much larger geographically than New York. It will of course take longer to spread and it's silly to compare the two states.

by Anonymousreply 215June 29, 2020 3:29 PM

R215 Not to mention the mortality rate keeps getting lower. And then the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 216June 29, 2020 3:31 PM

The mortality rate is getting lower because there is more testing.

by Anonymousreply 217June 29, 2020 4:01 PM

R217: less number of deaths too

by Anonymousreply 218June 29, 2020 4:11 PM

R218, and the median age is getting younger so it follows that the death rate is lower

by Anonymousreply 219June 29, 2020 4:13 PM

Moral of the story - stay well away from young people, and VERY far away from unmasked young people.

by Anonymousreply 220June 29, 2020 6:07 PM

The death rate is only lower since younger people are currently infected. Wait till they infect their parents, grandparents, elderly neighbors, collegues etc. Thankfully after 3 months of training, most doctors also know how to treat Covid patients now effectively so hopefully less people will die in the future.

by Anonymousreply 221June 29, 2020 7:50 PM

The HHS Secretary Alex Sazar says that “the window is closing on our ability to contain these outbreaks”. I think it’s too late, but I’m not the HHS Secretary l.

by Anonymousreply 222June 29, 2020 9:07 PM

L.A. County coronavirus cases surge past 100,000 with record high one-day tally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223June 29, 2020 10:03 PM

R222 That window has been closed for awhile now. The only effective form of containment would be tracing, but that would mean more accountability and the politicians don't want that.

by Anonymousreply 224June 29, 2020 10:23 PM

Agreed R224 & R222. That horse has bolted already.

by Anonymousreply 225June 30, 2020 11:47 AM

I went to get blood work on Monday and noticed less people wearing masks. They checked my temperature and made sure i social distanced.

Not much has been posted on this thread since Tuesday morning. Does that mean the spike is over? Rachel was still talking about it Tuesday night.

by Anonymousreply 226July 2, 2020 5:22 AM

To answer OP query. Yes, very concerned, because of my multi-high-risk status, age, and the total amount of time I’ve spent completely, utterly, without human contact. Withe exceptions sneaking out for naughty things with a mask on. JFC! When will it end?

by Anonymousreply 227July 2, 2020 5:32 AM

worried and furious !

by Anonymousreply 228July 2, 2020 7:43 AM

R226 the spike is still spiking. The US has 50k new coronavirus cases for the first time in one day, yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 229July 2, 2020 11:25 AM

I'm concerned about our stubborn refusal to deal with this pandemic like a rational people. We could have avoided the worst of it, but there are too many American primitives who act like they're barely out of the stone age for that to happen.

by Anonymousreply 230July 3, 2020 9:45 AM

Good, better, best

Never let it rest

'Til your good is better

And your better best!

57,236 on July 2.

Not only are we #1, but we keep beating our own best numbers!

by Anonymousreply 231July 3, 2020 9:51 AM

R230, by the time those people realize the seriousness of this, it'll be too late.

Around here there are a lot of middle-aged parents who want to let their kids party and play sports and go back to school, and therefore they make all kinds of comments on Facebook about how the virus isn't that bad. They fake stats claiming it has only a 0.001% death rate and stuff like that. What will happen is that their little darlings will come home with the virus and start killing them or their grandparents, and only THEN will these idiots realize what they've done.

by Anonymousreply 232July 3, 2020 9:54 AM

My conservative parents have decided to take a road trip from FL to my extremely conservative brother in NC to their former gay neighbors now in Kentucky to my aunt in FL. They think they are safe because everyone they are visiting has been staying in. My brother has been a liar all his life, and I wouldn’t believe that he is taking any precautions based on his mockery of masks. The idea of them taking corona on a southeastern tour is really disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 233July 3, 2020 10:02 AM

r233 Formerly neighbors or formerly gay?

by Anonymousreply 234July 3, 2020 12:53 PM

You Americans are hopeless.

by Anonymousreply 235July 3, 2020 1:07 PM

So what, who cares, they were all going to die anyway. Plus, once we pass the 100k per day threshold Trump will HAVE to cancel/postpone the election and let the state legislators do their thing and deliver him the win.

I feel EXACTLY like the run-up to the gulf war, or the FL 2000 election. Plenty of people knew what was happening and tried to warn us but their voices were drowned out by the powers that be. Many people wrote about the false claims of WMD's in Iraq, so what, who cares. The Iraq war was planned on 9/12

We know he won't hold an election he will lose. If all you have to do is sign a few executive orders, why not? Set the whole place of fire, at least it won't be BORING and will get great ratings.

by Anonymousreply 236July 3, 2020 1:09 PM

That’s ludicrous. They cannot postpone the election

by Anonymousreply 237July 3, 2020 1:16 PM

Because it's unconstitutional? That has never stopped him, Article 2 gives him UNLIMITED power, in his eyes. If he were to sign an executive order delaying the election and Republicans followed him they could easily cause enough chaos.

by Anonymousreply 238July 3, 2020 1:29 PM

R233, hah! Former neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 239July 3, 2020 1:53 PM

Only true idiots are claiming tyranny or that their freedoms are violated with mandatory mask and lockdown orders. With the exception of northeastern states that have had diminishing cases in the last few weeks the US has not gotten the virus in the population under control. Almost all of Asia and Europe has done a relatively good job and are now starting to phase in to normal activities. If the US didn't have a moronic buffoon for president the COIV cases would not have exploded as it had and also we would be in a much better place now. If anything we have set the COVID crisis and the economy back another 3 plus months.

by Anonymousreply 240July 3, 2020 2:47 PM

Later this year: "We are in the middle of a war. The worst war this country has ever seen! At this time of war, we must postpone the election to focus on saving our great country!". - DJT

- GOP Senators: Silence, Susan Collins - concerned

- News/Democrats: Very upset with a of complaining about the constitution/constitutional crisis!!

- The public: Protests

DJT/Barr response: We must implement martial law "to protect our innocent civilians and keep order and peace during this terrible time of war!"

Watch! Trump and his AG/GOP enablers will definitely try the above. That is why he is letting the virus run rampant now.

by Anonymousreply 241July 3, 2020 3:17 PM

R237, It's ludacris that: In 2000, The supreme court would order Florida to STOP counting votes, the American people could so easily allow us to attack the wrong country over fabricated intelligence, that Obama would have to show his fucking birth certificate, that the president would BRAG about not testing people, injecting bleach, spend 365 days of his presidency at his own hotels, send out "white power" videos, copying NAZI logos, inciting violence, LIE 20,000 fucking times and allowing Putin to hunt American soldiers for cash ALL with the tacit approval of the patriotic, jesus loving, Republican establishment.

Jesusgoddamnmotherfuckingchrist. They believe everything he says. If he says it's true, it's true. If he announces that the election is cancelled, it is cancelled. Every MAGAt in america will do their part to help fuck it up. Republicans state legislators control 29 states.

That's why he doesn't have a plan/clue. Sure he wanted to keep it close and steal it, BUT if he has to issue an executive order or 2 or 3 or 10 SO BE IT. Who can stop him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242July 3, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote]It's ludacris that:

Don't bring me into this mess!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243July 3, 2020 4:03 PM

Nevada, you in danger, gurl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244July 3, 2020 4:11 PM

I don't think he's going to try to cancel the election, dramatic Marys.

by Anonymousreply 245July 3, 2020 7:15 PM

^Saving this post also. Watch

by Anonymousreply 246July 3, 2020 7:23 PM

What he is trying to do, r246, is squelch mail-in voting, reduce the number of polling places, among other voter suppression techniques that Republicans love, so that when the next wave of the novel coronavirus hits in November, people will be too scared to stand in line in vote.

by Anonymousreply 247July 3, 2020 7:26 PM

He can't cancel the election. It's in the Constitution.

by Anonymousreply 248July 3, 2020 7:27 PM

R248: LOL - That don't matter. Esp. if we are at "war".

by Anonymousreply 249July 3, 2020 7:35 PM

r249 why are you fear-mongering? I'd rather focus on what he and the other Republicans are actually ALREADY doing than some nihilistic fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 250July 3, 2020 7:59 PM

Trump can’t cancel the election because it is the States that hold elections. The Republicans could do something screwy, though, such as have the State Representatives cast ballots, instead of it being a popular election. I think that anything like this would cause massive unrest, though. It would be a failed coup.

Despite all the cultists who support Trump, there are more who are repulsed by him.

by Anonymousreply 251July 3, 2020 8:58 PM

Do you remember how absolutely "shocked and awed" we were on 911? Who could have ever imagined such a thing? As it turns out, lots of people. Warnings and red flags everywhere. Bush famously said to the messenger who told him about the planned Bin Laden attack, well now you've covered your ass, or some equal bullshit. Read about what happened in Florida in 2000 and Georgia in 2020. They stopped counting votes.

This time, they won't even send the ballots out.

R248. You're right it's in the constitution, but if 2 weeks before the election, he signs an executive order that the election is cancelled, and all Republicans fall in order, like they always do, it is cancelled. Republican poll workers and election officials can just stop working, because it's cancelled. - Everything he says is TRUE to them. Plus they all feel entitled to lie, cheat or steal because they are in a fight against satan.

It's happening NOW, it's not a fucking fantasy.

Newsweek, MotherJones, The Atlantic, Greg Palast, Malcolm Nance-has been screaming this for years, to deaf/dumb ears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252July 3, 2020 9:26 PM

R236, if there’s no election, Trump’s term ends on January 20, 2021. If that happens, Nancy Pelosi is President.

Then they’ll be an election.

by Anonymousreply 253July 3, 2020 9:34 PM

Exactly R252. People scream "impossible, Marys, fearmongering!" - until it happens, again. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility with Trump/GOP/AG. Nothing. I expect the worse and hope for the best, as I watch the fuckery amp up, daily.

by Anonymousreply 254July 3, 2020 9:34 PM

I grew up when people would never say or do the awful things that are happening in the country today. They would be ostracized for it.

Everyone would do their share to ensure we would all be safe from any challenge. It must come from the Depression and World War years. My grandparents, until their dying days, showed deep concern for friends and neighbors. Our house and the surrounding ones were hit by a tornado in the 70s, not wiped out but very damaged. For weeks, neighbors we never met would come over and ask if they could paint our walls or repair something broken. They helped my parents keep buckets empty while the rain came through the ceiling that night. They were there all night.

I can't visualize the MAGA people and the recent young generations doing that. It saddens me that something really bad will have to happen before we pull together again.

by Anonymousreply 255July 4, 2020 1:40 AM

[quote] if there’s no election, Trump’s term ends on January 20, 2021. If that happens, Nancy Pelosi is President.

Not exactly. Nancy term expires also. She has to be re-elected by her district (very likely) and then as Speaker first. Whoever is the Speaker on 1/21 becomes the President.

by Anonymousreply 256July 4, 2020 2:22 AM

R255, before you romanticize the past and attack "the younger generations" maybe you should remember that most of the MAGA crowd is old as hell just like you. It's not like there weren't people marching around to stop black kids from going to white schools in the past. Not everyone was a saint. There have always been good people and bad people.

by Anonymousreply 257July 4, 2020 2:28 AM

Trump is losing the older magas. GenX seems to be his fan club now, r257.

by Anonymousreply 258July 4, 2020 2:35 AM

This Gen Xer gas ALWAYS known he was nothing but white trash.

And I also help out my neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 259July 4, 2020 2:49 AM

Stop it R241.

Trump CANNOT postpone the election. It would [bold]literally[/bold] be the end of the United States on the world stage in terms of relationships and credibility. Irreparable damage. It would also spark deep unrest and instability which would make the BLM protests look like a Sunday church picnic. Trump knows this. Yes he may want to and might dream about it - but he can't.

Better that you direct your well placed anti-Trump energy into something else like getting rid of him.

by Anonymousreply 260July 4, 2020 2:54 AM

Everyone's got a ridiculous theory, R241. Lets stick to the topic at hand. About 58K new Covid cases in the US today. And the odds are against you. All the little Trumpers running around with their anti-mask craziness. It only takes one asymptomatic one to infect an entire bar or beach, while 99% are doing their best to stay safe and not infect anyone else. Get a rally full of idiots who then travel home infecting gas stations and motels and their customers as they go. Then they infect their neighbors at home.

by Anonymousreply 261July 4, 2020 4:21 AM

54,904 to be exact R261.

Terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 262July 4, 2020 4:23 AM

Let all the assholes who act like it’s an overreaction get it and go die!

by Anonymousreply 263July 4, 2020 5:43 AM

[quote]All the little Trumpers running around with their anti-mask craziness. It only takes one asymptomatic one to infect an entire bar or beach, while 99% are doing their best to stay safe and not infect anyone else.

Then the answer is not to go to the beach or bar at all, not go thinking that just because you've got a mask on everything will be fine. Or allow beaches and bars to reopen but only with strict social distancing rules. If you're at a bar you need to remove your mask to drink, anyway.

The mask issue is too politicised in the US, causing a health risk - by both sides. If the little anti-Trumpers think it's fine to run around just like normal if they've got a mask on and that makes everything fine, then they're just as deluded as the MAGAts.

In Europe we managed to get this thing under control with strict lockdowns and social distancing, masks were very rarely mandatory and even then only for brief periods and in certain circumstances, and they played only a small role.

by Anonymousreply 264July 4, 2020 6:26 AM

^ Just to clarify, beaches and bars should not reopen until the virus is under control and the curve very much flattened. The different US states also need to seal their borders to each other.

by Anonymousreply 265July 4, 2020 6:28 AM

Opening the beach can be fine if there is a stringent social distancing practice and it is followed. I'm talking at least 12 feet between groups.

by Anonymousreply 266July 4, 2020 1:57 PM

Florida shattered its daily record for new coronavirus cases Saturday with health officials reporting over 11,000 confirmed cases.

Testing hit a high percent positive of new cases as well on Saturday, with health officials reporting 14.10% positivity rate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267July 4, 2020 3:03 PM

Insert "Florida Man" joke here

by Anonymousreply 268July 4, 2020 5:02 PM

[quote] R242: [R237], It's ludacris that: In 2000, The supreme court would order Florida to STOP counting votes

I recall, at the time, that it didn’t seem ludicrous to me. The vote was close enough that either man could rightly claim a win. The ballot design was bad. I don’t think that further counting would have done anything to plate anyone. Not that I supported the result, mind you.

by Anonymousreply 269July 4, 2020 11:27 PM

[quote] R264: The mask issue is too politicised in the US, causing a health risk - by both sides. If the little anti-Trumpers think it's fine to run around just like normal if they've got a mask on and that makes everything fine, then they're just as deluded as the MAGAts.

This is absolutely NOT a “both sides” matter. Not unless you meant that both sides are Trump vs. science, compassion, and mental health. Or Trump vs. reality. Let me remind you:

The CDC recommended masks.

The CDC revoked their recommendation of masks.

The CDC reversed themselves and recommended masks again.

Somewhere in the above, the President decided that he did not like how he looked in a mask. He also concluded that, if he wore a mask, the public would appreciate the seriousness of the virus, and because Trump cannot understand that he is not the country, he prefers that thousands of people die rather than acknowledge that the numbers of sick and dead increase. He has essentially admitted all of this.

We have non-political professionals voicing a medical opinion; and a vain, callous, mentally ill President with Oppositional Defiance Disorder who overruled the medical professionals. It makes me wonder if the CDC first ruled that masks were not helpful because they were pressured by the White House. You know that Trump would have done so, if he thought he could get away with it.

So no, it is not a “both sides” issue.

by Anonymousreply 270July 4, 2020 11:57 PM

I will add one additional thing, if anyone cares to cite that Progressives are arguing in opposition to Trump‘s positions and are defensive about masks, you should remember when Trump accused a reporter of being “politically correct” (whatever that is supposed to mean). by declining to remove his mask when asking Trump a question.

It is perfectly natural to argue in opposition to someone who places his own vanity above other people’s lives. It is normal for people to be defensive after they have been attacked. This is not a “both sides” matter.

by Anonymousreply 271July 5, 2020 12:08 AM

Florida and Texas hit a record number of daily coronavirus cases on Saturday, respectively reporting 11,445 and 8,258 new cases in the last 24 hours.

Florida comprises roughly 20% of new cases in the U.S, which are spiking across the American South and West.

“It’s clear that the growth is exponential at this point,” says Miami Mayor Francis Suarez.

Infectious disease specialist Aileen Marty warned Friday that Florida was “heading a million miles an hour in the wrong direction” in dealing with the pandemic and said residents are not following public health guidelines to slow the spread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272July 5, 2020 2:40 PM

Unfortunately, people are looking at the low death rates and not taking the cases seriously. Their attitude is, I might get it, but I won't die, so whatever... That would all change, VERY fast, if the death rate rose.

by Anonymousreply 273July 5, 2020 6:42 PM

I doubt we'll see the same death rates as we did in April. We know a little bit more about what does and doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 274July 5, 2020 9:43 PM

R274 Don't mean shit when the states don't follow proper protocol.

by Anonymousreply 275July 5, 2020 9:47 PM

I'm talking about once you hit the hospital, r275.

We now know that ventilators aren't always the best thing. Remdesivir cuts the illness time by a few days, which doesn't seem important but days may be the difference between pneumonia or not. Steroids have efficacy and we now have convalescent serum.

by Anonymousreply 276July 5, 2020 9:51 PM

Though that CNN report linked above says there are shortages of Remdesivir already. You know Trump and Co. bought it all up and are hoarding it for themselves and their red state cronies.

by Anonymousreply 277July 5, 2020 9:55 PM

Is it safe to get drive thru if you wear a mask and restaurant employees wear masks too?

by Anonymousreply 278July 5, 2020 9:58 PM

And we also know that sending people back into nursing homes is a huge mistake.

by Anonymousreply 279July 5, 2020 10:10 PM

[quote]Infectious disease specialist Aileen Marty warned Friday that Florida was “heading a million miles an hour in the wrong direction”

It couldn't happen to a more deserving state.

by Anonymousreply 280July 5, 2020 10:37 PM

R278 As safe as protected anal sex!

by Anonymousreply 281July 5, 2020 10:47 PM

[quote]I'm talking about (deaths) once you hit the hospital,

That's presuming hospital resources aren't strained to the max, which they are close to being in AZ, TX and FL.

Plus, as R277 alluded to, there is not an indefinite supply of remdesivir. At this rate, we'll run out of it long before manufacturing can ramp supplies back up.

by Anonymousreply 282July 5, 2020 10:50 PM

R282, you can always do the pop up hospitals that NYC did if things get stretched.

by Anonymousreply 283July 6, 2020 12:03 AM

How about this from Dump?

“We got hit by the virus that came from China,” the president said, prompting a strange whoop and applause from someone in the audience. “We’ve made a lot of progress. Our strategy is moving along well. It goes out in one area, it rears back its ugly face in another area. But we’ve learned a lot. We’ve learned how to put out the flame.”

The number of infections now regularly tops 50,000 per day, higher than in April when the US was in the first grip of infections. Dr Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious diseases expert, warned this week: “I think it’s pretty obvious that we are not going in the right direction.”

Trump returned to his now familiar and baseless complaint that America has a high caseload because it performs more tests. [bold]“Now we have tested almost 40m people. By so doing, we show cases, 99% of which are totally harmless. Results that no other country can show because no other country has the testing that we have, not in terms of the numbers or in terms of quality.[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284July 6, 2020 1:20 AM

They’re calling it the Trump virus on twitter.

by Anonymousreply 285July 6, 2020 1:23 AM

And he's saying that it's all fake news R285....

What a disaster. America has hit a real low point. Its never been this bad.

by Anonymousreply 286July 6, 2020 1:29 AM

R284 Trump is so stupid he can't count to 21 unless he's naked.

Based on the current stats, there at 2,930,000 confirmed cases in the US. Confirmed COVID deaths are 132,000. That means for every 100 cases there are 4.5 deaths, or you have a 4.5% change of dying if you get the virus. The ratio for serious symptoms varies by locale, but as much as 15-20% of those who contract it will experience significant illness.

by Anonymousreply 287July 6, 2020 1:36 AM

[quote]Trump is so stupid he can't count to 21 unless he's naked.

Beink nekkid iss no help, trust

by Anonymousreply 288July 6, 2020 1:41 AM

We don't know the numbers of people who will have long term health problems as a result of having Covid. That will come with time. I'm surprised more people aren't saying:

"You may get a mild case of Covid now, but it could lead to more problems later. So wear a mask, you dumbshits."

by Anonymousreply 289July 6, 2020 3:39 AM

"Opening the beach can be fine if there is a stringent social distancing practice and it is followed. I'm talking at least 12 feet between groups."

R266, opening the beach is only fine once the spread of the virus is under control and the curve has been flattened. It's not fine while there are almost 50,000 new cases in the US every day.

by Anonymousreply 290July 6, 2020 8:20 AM

Agreed. It's probably fine in NY/NJ, but not in Texas & Florida.

by Anonymousreply 291July 6, 2020 12:03 PM

It's fine everywhere as long as beaches and parks aren't packed. NY never closed parks during the surge, opting for limited capacity instead.

by Anonymousreply 292July 6, 2020 4:52 PM

50,586 new cases reported yesterday. Waiting for the deluge that will come this week after the July 4th weekend.

by Anonymousreply 293July 7, 2020 2:48 AM

[quote] America has hit a real low point. Its never been this bad.

I will [bold]NEVER[/bold] forgive Republicans for installing this clown into the highest position in the nation and being responsible for this entire debacle. They have blood on their hands. This will be their cross to bear for generations to come.

by Anonymousreply 294July 7, 2020 2:59 AM

R293 Mid July should be a clusterfuck. We need a miracle!

by Anonymousreply 295July 7, 2020 4:06 AM

R295 this kind of miracle?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296July 7, 2020 4:08 AM

Here's my hometown in AZ over the 4th. County new cases more than doubled over past 10 days, ICUs nearly full. Emergency triage in effect.

NO mask requirements, which drew 100,000+ maskless Trumpistas, the Proud Boys, the Oath Keepers, and other assorted idiots to town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297July 7, 2020 5:06 AM

Daily fatalities have been between 300-500 for 2 weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298July 7, 2020 6:15 AM

[quote] I will NEVER forgive Republicans for installing this clown into the highest position in the nation and being responsible for this entire debacle. They have blood on their hands. This will be their cross to bear for generations to come.

And we will NEVER get the satisfaction of them admitting their mistake. They are champions and deflecting and blaming.

by Anonymousreply 299July 7, 2020 2:39 PM

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo has a go at Trump in his briefing yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300July 7, 2020 2:46 PM

This past weekend I went for a long drive to help combat the boredom and I was shocked to see that at least 40% of the plates I saw on I75 were out of state. These people are not using common sense by visiting the sunshine state.

These people are coming here to further spread COVID 19 by introducing it to locals or picking it up through community spread here, which will end up infecting their friends and family back home.

by Anonymousreply 301July 7, 2020 3:16 PM

The US formally leaves WHO... another dumb Trump decision!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302July 8, 2020 1:36 AM

The WHO withdrawal doesn’t take affect until 2021. Biden has plenty of time to reverse the withdrawal, before it takes effect .

by Anonymousreply 303July 9, 2020 5:16 AM

I know people who have passed from plus COPD. I also know people who have recovered from the virus. There are so many death mongers on the DL addicted to their death charts and graphs. Truth is, all I can do is masks up, wash my hands, and do my best to social distance. And KNOW that 98% of the people who get covid do not even get sick, much less die. So I'm choosing to LIVE and I'm not going to let the news scare me to death.

by Anonymousreply 304July 9, 2020 5:20 AM

We are all choosing to live. Some of us just choose to do it in real life.

by Anonymousreply 305July 9, 2020 5:33 AM

No because I'm eager for the world to end and I want it to hurry the fuck up already.

by Anonymousreply 306July 9, 2020 7:35 AM

Would you rather catch Covid or HIV ?

by Anonymousreply 307July 9, 2020 7:53 AM

[quote]And KNOW that 98% of the people who get covid do not even get sick, much less die.

Liar R304.

Roughly 50% of people who get Coronavirus become ill to varying degrees - many very seriously. 1 - 4% die. If a patient is intubated, they have a 50% chance of survival.

Then there are the long term effects (permanent lung and brain damage and other serious medical issues) which we are only starting to identify and understand. To date there is zero evidence that having Coronavirus provides future immunity - in fact, there are plenty of patients who have become reinfected.

There is multitudes of evidence all over Google from reputable medical/scientific sources for the above. So just stop lying.

by Anonymousreply 308July 9, 2020 11:53 AM

This is a good link for liars like R304.

Plenty of medical and scientific [bold]FACTS[/bold].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309July 9, 2020 11:59 AM

[quote]So I'm choosing to LIVE

Thank you Ms. Hayward.

by Anonymousreply 310July 9, 2020 12:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!