Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

L.A. Story

Who else still loves this movie? It’s so weird and wonderful and sweet. Worth it just to see SJP before she was Bradshaw’ed for life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 26, 2020 11:06 PM

Fun fact, co-stars Steve Martin & Victoria Tennant were married at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2020 3:42 AM

It's one of my favorite movies. Enya's music was a very unexpected choice to soundtrack a movie that's so resolutely LA, yet it's used to great effect. It's probably Steve Martin's best, much more subtle than most of his output but it's such a sweet, understated movie.

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2020 4:00 AM

It's a funny valentine/gentle satire, but Tennant is a big zero.

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2020 4:30 AM

I thought Tennant was great in it.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2020 11:06 AM

Haven't seen it in years, but when I last watched it (I think 9 years ago), I still enjoyed it. The touch of whimsy is nicely done, not too much but enough to set it sorry from other rom-coms of the era. For some reason I always loved the part when Richard E. Grant joked that Steve Martin should visit the Guggenheim on his roller skates and Steve eagerly says "I get that! I do. Because it's round, and it goes downhill." Very relatable.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2020 12:53 PM

*apart, not sorry.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2020 12:54 PM

The opening credits are delightful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2020 1:02 PM

Love this movie. I have it on my DVR permanently and play it once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2020 1:07 PM

There are so many great cameos and bit parts too. Rick Moranis as the gravedigger, Patrick Stewart as the terrifying maitre d’ at L’Idiot, Woody Harrelson as the dimwitted studio exec...

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2020 1:31 PM

For many years, I would imitate Parker's character (SanDee*?) whenever walking though an appliance store or anything like it.

"A beautiful refrigerator/freezer with ice maker"

"A brand new microwave oven"

Ad nauseum. Seriously, it started making my friends sick.

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2020 1:38 PM

If they made it today, it would star a LatinX family for no reason! And Sandee would be a non- binary played by Jonathan from Queer Eye!

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2020 1:47 PM

I love this movie; haven't seen it in forever. I don't think I've ever seen it run on any of the cable stations. Wonder why.

I loved the names of the restaurants they went to - "L'Idiot" and "El Pollo del Mar."

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2020 2:00 PM

R10 SJP was such a great comic actress back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2020 5:01 PM

Roxanne was a lovely, funny movie as well.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2020 5:05 PM

OP, I loved this movie and will watch it again tonight (I forgot about it.)

It’s extremely difficult to find online, but I lucked out because I bought the dvd years ago.

SJP was hilarious here. Like someone up thread, I also did her spokesmodel imitation at department stores.

It got me a few phone numbers at least, from the thirsty men of Sears.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2020 6:32 PM

Here’s another one for you, OP: “House Sitter,” with Goldie Hawn and Steve Martin. Goldie is a scream in this.

Surprisingly, Goldie plays it with an undercurrent of pathos, and mental fragility that really works.

She and Steve Martin were an impeccable duo. Why they didn’t work together much is a mystery to me.

Here’s a clip. Just click the black screen, it’s there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2020 7:19 PM

I love LA Story! I also love the thought of all us young fagolas presenting appliances as we walked through Sears! BTW, it's available to buy digitally for 10 bucks on Amazon. I couldn't find it forever and was thrilled when I stumbled across it.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2020 7:45 PM

Watching L.A. Story right now, just taking a break to say that Steve Martin had breathtaking taste in women, and considerable luck. He’s worthy, but so many are. Steve Martin’s women:

Bernadette Peters (The Queens of 42nd St. will kick your ASS, Steve, if you mistreated her.)

Victoria Tennant

I hear he’s an ass. What does DL know?

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2020 7:53 PM

Ooh, sorry for the negative post, OP.

It rather clashes with the feel-good-tho-we-are-lost tone.

I withdraw my question.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2020 7:59 PM

Thanks, R16! Heard of it but never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2020 8:21 PM

[quote] I hear he’s an ass. What does DL know?

You heard that from Kathy Griffin. She deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2020 9:10 PM

I loved this movie since I was a gayling. The wonderful Richard E Grant was stupendous in this

by Anonymousreply 22June 25, 2020 9:13 PM

One of my favorite scenes. (Just click the black box...damn link previews.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2020 9:23 PM

All of Me was the funniest.

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2020 9:31 PM

R24 a, back in bowl!

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2020 9:40 PM

OP/ r20, put HouseSitter at the top of your list. You won’t see Goldie any better than this, and with Steve Martin it becomes the perfect rom-com. And OP,

I despise rom-coms. Really. This one though, enough character layers to float above.

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2020 9:54 PM

I see LA Story only on Amazon Prime and iTunes to buy, not rent. Has anyone found it somewhere else to stream?

by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2020 10:04 PM

I love the scene at the restaurant when the earthquake hits. Instead of getting scared, they go around the table and predict how high on the Richter scale it was. So many good scenes

by Anonymousreply 28June 25, 2020 10:07 PM

R27, I couldn’t even find it through my local library, with its vast collection. It is on flixtor dot to, but I think that’s a pirate.

by Anonymousreply 29June 25, 2020 10:36 PM

Flixtor is a pirate, yes.

by Anonymousreply 30June 25, 2020 10:37 PM

Still one of my favorites movies after decades of multiple viewings.

I hate to be that guy, but anytime I watch this I wonder why no one has ever made a gay love story this good.

by Anonymousreply 31June 25, 2020 10:45 PM

"Yeah, I must admit, when I see a painting like this, I get emotionally... erect."

(the painting is revealed to be a red rectangle.)

by Anonymousreply 32June 26, 2020 9:42 PM

This is L.A.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 26, 2020 10:27 PM

I like this scene. It happens quickly, but I find it amusing that the only thing Iman orders is the twist of lemon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 26, 2020 11:00 PM

r10, oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 35June 26, 2020 11:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!