Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jenny Slate will no longer voice “Missy” on Big Mouth; black actress will replace her

More wokeness! More, more!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 28, 2020 3:22 PM

The next to be canceled will be the men who voice Linda and Tina Belcher from Bob‘s Burgers.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2020 8:37 PM

But Linda and Tina can just come out as FTMs. Missy can't become transracial.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2020 8:38 PM

If Missy is biracial then why is it better for her to be voiced by a black woman? She's half white and half black.

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2020 8:44 PM

[quote] If Missy is biracial then why is it better for her to be voiced by a black woman? She's half white and half black.

Because Hollywood offers few opportunities to nonwhites.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2020 8:49 PM

I can't say I'm sorry to see/hear less of Jenny Slate, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2020 9:06 PM

So no one is missing a slate.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2020 9:19 PM

What R5 said, but still, I think black people may need to speak up in HOW diversity is represented. Don't overplay your hand because it looks like you're "forcing" the change rather than making a cooperative effort for change.

Just firing people from friggin cartoon characters is not the way to enact change and you're planting new seeds of resentment to counter the long-standing discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2020 9:31 PM

Or let's hire black people for more than only explicitly black roles. Race isn't essential to many characters. Hire black and trans people to be whatever character. This way about it is commendable but not going to do as much to up representation. It's like black writers asked to write about only blackness.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2020 10:04 PM

R2 Oh yeah? Says whom?

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2020 10:46 PM

More, more! Again, again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2020 10:55 PM

There goes my dream of being the voice of Fat Albert.

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2020 11:04 PM

Family Guy, you in danger gurl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2020 11:13 PM

Is Family Guy still on?

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2020 6:19 AM

Live action I can obviously understand, but animation? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2020 1:47 PM

I agree it's fucking stupid and as others were pointing out on Twitter, there have been black VO actors who have played white cartoon characters.

It is getting stupid. Pull back a bit. This destroys whatever credibility you have and any message you think you're sending about diversity.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2020 1:54 PM

It would be better for casting to hire only atypical actors for roles. Fuck the character's description in the script; tall, blue eyed man in his 30s? Cast an old Korean woman and watch what that actress can do with the script.

I'm fascinated by what Louie CK did casting a black women as his wife and the kids are still blonde. No explanation. More of that. Yeah he's awful but that was a good idea. We will get used to seeing diversty. Don't give us what we expect; expect us to shake our rigidity.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2020 6:41 PM

Louis CK may have done that to fuck with audience expectations but it also allowed him to check a box. Were there other black /non-white performers on LOUIS?

I also made it through exactly one episode of HORACE AND PETE, which featured use of the N-word. Nice! The series is from 2016 and might be enough to "cancel" Louis CK.... provided anyone ever watched HORACE AND PETE.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2020 9:58 PM

Jenny Slate is truly an ugly bitch with an annoying voice. Her success in Hollywood is one of life's great mysteries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2020 10:06 PM

I like her and I think she’s cute.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2020 10:22 PM

MORE, MORE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2020 10:37 PM

I'm saying it again: I guarantee you most of these dumb decisions are being made by white, ivory tower execs who *think* they know what black people and other non-white people want. Band-aid on an open wound.

Why would you take away already established, innocuous characters and make drastic changed rather than just go forward from here and be more aware when creating future projects?

by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2020 11:33 PM

changeS*

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2020 11:33 PM

MORE, MORE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2020 11:44 PM

Why aren’t the yellow characters on the Simpsons being recast? Seems like a double standard.

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2020 11:45 PM

I saw that, R23, and started laughing at the responses, esp. when someone said that "Herbert the pedo" must be voiced by an actual pedo and someone responded "Shouldn't be hard to find one in Hollywood."

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2020 11:49 PM

"The Simpsons" producers have known that this was an issue for some viewers for a long, long time.

It's ridiculous that Hank Azaria only gave up voicing Apu 6 months ago, particularly on a show that wears its liberal pieties on its sleeve.

by Anonymousreply 26June 26, 2020 11:53 PM

Fuck cancel culture

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 27, 2020 1:55 AM

R17, does it matter why? A person got the job and she's black. She's employed as an actor and that's good for her. I don't care about motive, especially because we will never know what the motive was.

by Anonymousreply 28June 30, 2020 3:12 PM

Let's consult Ava "It's NOT MY JOB to Teach You!" DuVernay, the expert and single voice for all Black Hollywood!

She'll tell us!

by Anonymousreply 29June 30, 2020 3:22 PM

I'm so tired of this hatchet faced bitch. I can't believe Chris Evans dated her. Pity fuck of the century.

by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2020 3:22 PM

OMG - was R27 the inspiration for Stewie??

He looks just like him!

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2020 3:23 PM

She has been recast by someone really black!

Should she have been replaced by someone only half-black?

#Mulattovoicesmatter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 28, 2020 3:13 PM

Is Jenny Slate even white? She’s a Jew, which means she isn’t considered white by WASPs.

Chris Evans was attacked when he dated her for dating “non white” women and being with a Jew by David Duke and his minions.

by Anonymousreply 33August 28, 2020 3:19 PM

People on Twitter have been talking about how black people don't actually care about this shit and how all they asked for was police reform but instead they got stupid shit like this. They're saying it took only weeks for an important cause to be derailed by bullshit like this.

by Anonymousreply 34August 28, 2020 3:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!