Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever wondered why the 1st Floor half bath is called a powder room?

There is no powdering going in there.

by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2020 8:23 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2020 5:06 AM

When that term first came into use, there was most definitely powdering going on in there. And besides, it was considered impolite to use the term toilet, or bathroom, so it was sweetened to powder room.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2020 5:06 AM

Speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2020 5:12 AM

[quote]It was considered impolite to use the term toilet, or bathroom, so it was sweetened to powder room.

Well, it is sweeter than shitbox, I’ll give y’that.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2020 5:17 AM

Were people doing coke in your bathroom?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2020 5:22 AM

It came from Victorian times when it was considered impolite for ladies to excuse themselves to go take shit, so they would use such euphemisms as "to go powder one's nose." And thus, "the powder room" was born.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2020 5:23 AM

Since there was certainly no bathing going on in the half bath why not call it something more appropriate?

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2020 5:26 AM

There was - in the sense that one washes one's hand there. Bathing did not originally refer to the washing of the whole body necessarily.

I have often stepped into a bathroom before a job interview or public event to wash my hands and check my hair, etc. I don't think this is unusual in the US at least.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2020 5:40 AM

Powder Room is a silly name and unnecessary. A polite person (like me) would say, "May I be excused" or "Excuse me." Then you stand up and leave. No need to announce where you're going - everyone knows. Works every time.

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2020 5:46 AM

Using flowery euphemisms like “powder room” is a lower middle class thing.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2020 5:54 AM

"Powder Room is a silly name and unnecessary. A polite person (like me) would say, "May I be excused" or "Excuse me." Then you stand up and leave. No need to announce where you're going - everyone knows. Works every time."

Finally, someone with manners bragging about their shits.

I bet you went to finishing school.

Did they teach you how to wipe?

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2020 5:59 AM

How did people in the 18th and 19th century manage if they needed to go powder their nose in the middle of a fancy ball? Did they hold it in until they got back home later?

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2020 6:01 AM

Hey OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2020 6:05 AM

I always preferred "freshen up," a la Mindy Lewis at the Springfield Country Club.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2020 6:10 AM

We had a basic bitch-married-to-a-gazillionaire client who called it the Powder Bath.

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2020 6:11 AM

I think women fasted before a ball. That's why food and drink were always served in them. Most of the attendees wete literally starving.

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2020 6:13 AM

R12, women attending balls in the 18th and 19th century were frequently tightly corseted, which kept them from holding their bladder or holding down food. So they either ate and drank lightly or made frequent trips to the powder room or ladies lounge to empty themselves and gather their composure

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2020 6:45 AM

Back then I don't think it was proper for ladies to eat more than a few forkfuls. I'm not sure what the alcoholic beverage of choice for ladies would have been. I used to laugh at that scene in Gone With the Wind where the ladies all took a nap in the middle of the barbecue.

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2020 1:20 PM

Actually term "powder room" goes back to 18th century, it was a room where ladies and gentlemen went to powder their wigs. That powder got all over during application, so best to confine activity to a small room that was easier to keep clean.

Powdering one's nose came about during Victorian era with the rising use (and acceptance) of face powder by respectable ladies. The phrase soon became used by ladies to excuse themselves and use the W.C. Ladies of course did not have bodily functions (hence Jackie Kennedy running the taps when in the W.C., and she wasn't the only one), so gentility demanded something else.

Powder room as in a half-bath is largely an American invention that spread. It allowed guests to use bathroom without intruding upon family's personal space where full baths were located. Powder room also got the name because female guests upon arriving could duck in and fix themselves up before going into main party.

Concept of half baths/powder room can seem odd to Europeans. In France it still is largely deemed a social faux pas to ask for the W.C. when visiting. One is supposed to be in control of all functions and thus simply wait until at home or least out of guest's house. This goes along way in explaining why it can be difficult to find pubic bathrooms, and why streets of major cities like Paris stink of piss.

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2020 10:09 AM

Not a Victorian phrase, but popularized from the 1920s (at which time houses began to have multiple "bathrooms", some not also for bathing purposes and some—still rarely—for use of visitors.)

The early instances from ca.1800 likely relate to the [gun]powder storage rooms on boats or to "powdering rooms" or closets where servants tended and repowdered perukes and periwigs (expensive, important, labor intensive, and messy.)

SOURCE: etymonline.com is off by about a decade for "powder room."

[quote] powder (n.)—c. 1300, "ash, cinders; dust of the earth;" early 14c., "pulverized substance;" mid-14c., "medicinal powder;" late 14c. as "gunpowder," from Old French poudre "dust, powder; ashes; powdered substance" (13c.), earlier pouldre (11c.), from Latin pulverem (nominative pulvis) "dust, powder" (see pulverize). Specialized sense "gunpowder" is from late 14c. In the sense "powdered cosmetic," it is recorded from 1570s. The insertion of the unetymological -d- was common in French (compare meddle, tender (adj.), remainder).

[quote]In figurative sense, powder keg is first attested 1855. [bold]Powder room, euphemistic for "women's lavatory," is attested from 1936. Earlier it meant "place where gunpowder is loaded on a warship" (1620s).[/bold] Powder horn attested by 1530s. Powder puff first recorded 1704; as a symbol of femaleness or effeminacy, in use from at least 1930s.

[quote]c. 1300, "to put powder on;" late 14c., "to make into powder," from Old French poudrer "to pound, crush to powder; strew, scatter," from poudre (see powder (n.)). Related: Powdered; powdering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2020 11:24 AM

Sorry R19, somehow I didn't see your post until just now.

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2020 11:25 AM

In the Civil War, that was where soldiers kept their gunpowder and took a piss.

by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2020 11:33 AM

The alternate name “Poop room” didn’t catch on

by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2020 11:34 AM

"Restroom" is an even sillier euphemism.

by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2020 1:18 PM

R18, I bet those gals were just going for a scissor and some sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2020 1:45 PM

So you would prefer to call it a bath when there is no bathtub in the room?

by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2020 1:51 PM

Americans are such prudes.

I used to go into the "SAVED CHRISTIANS" chat room on AOL and announce, "BRB, I need to take a huge dump."

From the reaction, I may as well have threatened to kill people.

by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2020 3:43 PM

What do all the fat American bitches do and say now? One moment, I need to go check my TikTok. Then play their feed as they stink up the room?

by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2020 3:49 PM

Because that's where they does the cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2020 3:50 PM

R26

Have always liked French or other Europeans do things...

A W.C or les toilettes is where one goes to relive oneself. Salle de bain" is where one bathes.

So if looking for the "loo", or "head" .... that is what you ask to use. Some French and other Europeans take cruel delight in Americans desperately asking for salle de bain (or whatever word is used for bathroom), instead of W.C. or word for toilet. It is a natural thing for them to distinguish between the two, but not most Americans.

Then again many homes in Europe didn't get indoor plumbing (as in toilets) until after WWII. Yes, homes and even apartments had bathrooms (where one bathed), but you either still used slop jars or there was an outhouse in back.

Have seen rooms in some old hotels in Paris where the toilet was literally in main (only) room not far from the bed. Then you still have plenty of apartments or homes in Paris and elsewhere that have a separate W.C and salle de bain. Some of my French and Belgian friends think this arrangement is a total waste of space. More so because the two rooms are usually adjacent so it isn't like a powder room for say visitors.

by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2020 8:11 PM

R24

Not really. There are reasons why ladies vanish into certain public bathrooms and remain for a very long time.

At least in hotels, night clubs and other public establishments toilets for ladies had (and often still do have) lounge areas. Ladies could use these areas much as they would a boudoir; rest for moment, take respite from the often constricting and uncomfortable garments they wore, collect themselves emotionally .... There could also be an attendant who acted like a ladies maid, helping with wardrobe issues, acting as a shoulder to cry on, etc...

Assuming you've seen 1939 film "The Women"; well look at that ladies room where final action takes place. Their is an entire suite of furniture including chairs and sofas, Mrs. Buck Winston makes good use of the latter. You don't see toilets or sinks as they are in another room off the lounge area.

Mary Haines makes use of the "restroom" hanging out there to lie in wait for Sylvia Fowler. In background you see other women just sitting around, reading magazines.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2020 8:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!