Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When I put my dog in his crate at night and go into my bedroom, does he think I'm going into my crate?

Are there any dog psychologists here who can help me?

by Anonymousreply 91June 29, 2020 3:44 AM

Aren't you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2020 8:47 PM

A human psychologist couldn’t help you!

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2020 8:47 PM

Why don't you let that poor dog sleep on your f***ing bed?

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2020 8:48 PM

[quote] Aren't you, OP?

YES I AM.

[quote] A human psychologist couldn’t help you!

I know, I need a psychologist who treats dogs. Also I cleaned poop off his butt and he seems embarassed now. Is he?

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2020 8:48 PM

R4, fuck you Melania!

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2020 8:50 PM

Let your dog out of dog jail. What a shitty thing to do to a dog.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2020 8:51 PM

He thinks you're travelling back in time to the Barcelona Olympics, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2020 9:00 PM

Fuck you, r6. He likes his crate. He goes in there all the time to eat treats and entertain whores.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2020 9:15 PM

"When I put my dog in his crate at night and go into my bedroom, does he think I'm going into my crate?"

No. He thinks you're an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2020 10:37 PM

I can follow OPs thinking. When I go out to work I do look at that sad wee face playing it up with paw raised and consider that my dog thinks I’m going out to the park, on my own, to play with the other dogs.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2020 10:42 PM

A crate? The dog should shit in OPs wig!

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2020 10:44 PM

He likes his crate! He goes in there on his own! It's his house.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2020 10:46 PM

Unless your dog is shitting or peeing in the house at night, there's no reason to crate your dog. You're an asshole OP.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2020 10:49 PM

No one knows what dogs think. Cesar Milan would say he's plotting to upstage your dominance and if he can't see or hear you, he forgets you exist. He probably thinks he's better than you because he has a special place you can't go.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2020 10:51 PM

I don't let him come into my bedroom because I want to encourage him to think we have separate crates.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2020 10:54 PM

Cesar Milan is a fucking animal abuser.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2020 11:47 PM

Dogs do have a natural instinct to seek out a den of some sort. If the dog doesn't wine and he/she is plenty comfy in the cage it isn't a problem.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2020 11:54 PM

When we got our dog, we were told it is not cruel to crate her. That she’ll feel safe in there. That said, our dog sleeps with us and we never put her in her crate.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2020 11:57 PM

Crate training is good when they are young. Do you want to wake up to a puppy that has shitted and peed all over the house? Also when they are teething they will chew on anything, the legs of a chair, a sofa, a rug, your favorite shoes, etc. You never put your dog in their crate as punishment. As R18 said, it becomes a safe place for them.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2020 12:03 AM

I let him sleep with me the first few nights, but he left strange yellow stains on my bed (not pee stains). He likes going into his crate. It looks barbaric to me too but dog experts say dogs like the crate. I just wonder what he thinks about me and my lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2020 12:10 AM

I've never owned a dog, but my friend has a Border Terrier who quite happily sleeps in her crate at night. She puts herself to bed there when she gets tired enough. I don't think it's cruel.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2020 12:17 AM

What breed of dog, OP?

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2020 12:47 AM

He is a furry mutt that looks like a dachsund and terrier mix. I just got him and he's still a puppy. He's very respectful of me-- when I'm eating he goes to the other side of the room.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2020 1:23 AM

I used the crate in the living room when she was a pup but eventually I let her come sleep in our room. We have a dog bed that she loves but she moves around a lot. Under the bed, under the bench at the foot of the bed and my favorite, in a corner next to a dresser, facing the wall...

We keep the crate in the living room, in a conspicuous corner with the door open ... she does tip toe in there during the day to take a nap a lot... I love it when you can tell she's tired and goes skulking off in that direction. She's a happy little pooch and makes us laugh a lot with all the silly habits she has. She probably laughs at us too!

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2020 2:23 AM

Does your dog do it like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2020 2:31 AM

Just take the door off the crate. The dog has to be able to come and go as it pleases. You cannot lock a dog in cage. Not in its own home. It's barbaric.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2020 2:33 AM

One morning you will wake up drugged and locked in that cage.

You won't remember a thing.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2020 2:41 AM

Does anyone remember the South Park episode when Liane Cartman hired Caeser Milan to train Eric to lose weight?

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2020 2:47 AM

OP, are you the guy who didn't want to spend more than $200 to get a rescue dog?

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2020 2:50 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with crating your dog at night. Any reputable source maintains that crates can give dogs a nice sense of security and that it is healthy for the dog.

Hysterics just say crates are bad...because they decided so dammit!

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2020 2:56 AM

No, the dog isn't retarded..

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2020 3:11 AM

If the dog can come in and out of it at will it's fine. Dogs view it as a den. This is why they sleep under tables and under beds. They like it if they are closed in on three sides, then they spin around and face out, if they are threatened they can only be gotten at face first, which they have teeth for.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2020 3:14 AM

[quote] OP, are you the guy who didn't want to spend more than $200 to get a rescue dog?

Yes that's me.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2020 4:13 AM

A dog knows the difference between sleeping in a crate and sleeping on a sofa in a den.

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2020 12:54 PM

[QUOTE] Does anyone remember the South Park episode when Liane Cartman hired Caeser Milan to train Eric to lose weight?

That is the only thing I think of now whenever Cesar Milan is mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2020 1:11 PM

Me top r35. Apparently Milan loves the episode.

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2020 2:20 PM

[quote]If the dog can come in and out of it at will it's fine.

Well, OP / r33, [italic]can[/italic] your dog come and go from his crate at will?

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2020 2:27 PM

Here's a bit of the Cesar Millan episode from South Park

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2020 2:42 PM

No I lock him in at night. I will try it without locking him in tonight. I don't think the locking is an issue because he's happy in there. If he were in distress, I'd let him out. I am wondering if he thinks I go in my crate at night, because he doesn't have a problem with it, although he is otherwise very clingy.

by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2020 2:46 PM

[quote] I am wondering if he thinks I go in my crate at night, because he doesn't have a problem with it, although he is otherwise very clingy.

No, it's a dog not a human. Stop anthropomorphizing it. Dogs like crates because they use them as dens, like they would in the wild.

by Anonymousreply 40June 22, 2020 2:49 PM

People who keep animals locked up should be shot. If people talked about locking their children in crates when they leave them they'd be arrested.

by Anonymousreply 41June 22, 2020 2:50 PM

r41, see r40.

by Anonymousreply 42June 22, 2020 2:52 PM

OP, dogs are pack animals and like to be with other people. All dogs are clingy, unless trained otherwise. It’s one thing I regret not appreciating more with my own dog, years ago.

Whenever my family gathered, he’d sit himself down in the middle of the room, and people would be tripping over him. I tried a few times to put him outside, but then he’d crawl under the side table between; my parents, where he barely fit, and the table would basically rest on his back, with the cocktails on it rocking back and forth and spilling everywhere. He knew I couldn’t grab him from under there.

Your dog doesn’t view you as an equal. You’re the master, the top dog. And he knows the difference between a human and another dog. So, he doesn’t think you have a crate. He knows what a bed is. My own dog always slept on the floor in my parent’s bedroom, since my Dad was the über Top Dog.

Ever notice how, if you leave the dog in the car, when you go into a store, that when you come back, he’s always sitting in the driver seat? Either he’s pretending to be human, or he’s assuming the role of “temporary Top Dog” and taking the Top Dog seat. I always think this is cute.

If you really want to crate him, do so, but put the crate in your bedroom. My own dogs were trained to sleep on the floor. They were not allowed on the beds or other furniture and they knew it. Sometimes, when they though no one was home, they climb up on a chair.

by Anonymousreply 43June 22, 2020 3:10 PM

[quote]No I lock him in at night. I will try it without locking him in tonight.

With the door removed or left open.

by Anonymousreply 44June 22, 2020 3:13 PM

[quote]Why don't you let that poor dog sleep on your f***ing bed?

Because some of us aren't foul hogs that want to roll around in our dog's shit?

by Anonymousreply 45June 22, 2020 3:15 PM

I personally believe people should leave their dogs at home when running errands, a dog should not be left alone in a car in a parking lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 22, 2020 3:16 PM

Poor r45. Most of our dogs don't shit in our beds.

by Anonymousreply 47June 22, 2020 3:18 PM

OP, your dog does not believe your bedroom is a crate. But your dog does want to put you in a crate. A big wooden one. And nail it shut.

by Anonymousreply 48June 22, 2020 3:19 PM

[quote] Why don't you let that poor dog sleep on your f***ing bed?

Because it's a fucking dog that is OWNED by the OP.

by Anonymousreply 49June 22, 2020 3:26 PM

Smell you, R49, and your defense of English property law.

The dog is not chattel. It is a living being. OP is the guardian of this animal. NOT THE OWNER.

by Anonymousreply 50June 22, 2020 3:29 PM

I suspect the "I let my dog sleep with me" will be the draining the pasta debate of 2020.

by Anonymousreply 51June 22, 2020 3:37 PM

The yellow stains the dog left on your bed are probably from his asshole. You have to wipe your dogs ass with a baby wipe after shitting or they'll leave stains on the carpet, couch or bed. You could also ask your vet if the dog needs his anal glands expressed. Also, leave the door of his crate open at night. How would you feel if you want to drink some water or move around a bit and someone put you in a cage without much space?

by Anonymousreply 52June 22, 2020 3:44 PM

A DOG IS NOT A HUMAN R41, WE ARE DIFFERENT SPECIES.

Fucking christ some so-called animal people who know nothing about animals are nuts. They tend find crates very comforting because as others have said it is natural for dogs to have a den. Crates fulfill that function of giving them their own den where they can rest and feel safe.

by Anonymousreply 53June 22, 2020 3:46 PM

I didn't realize crates were controversial. There are a lot of crazy people in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 54June 22, 2020 5:19 PM

PETA types seem to invariably have next to no actual knowledge about animals.

by Anonymousreply 55June 22, 2020 5:22 PM

Nobody cares about the fucking crate. Locking the animal in the crate is the problem.

Dogs love an enclosed space. The back flank is covered and the dog can relax. But unless there is an identifiable behavior problem that locking the door would reasonably address, then there is no reason to lock the dog in the crate. The OP's whim is not sufficient basis for locking up a dog.

by Anonymousreply 56June 22, 2020 5:26 PM

I already said I'm not going to lock it tonight, what more do you want? Maybe I should give the dog up for adoption since I'm apparently not a good enough dog owner.

by Anonymousreply 57June 22, 2020 5:34 PM

Well... do you smoke in the house?

by Anonymousreply 58June 22, 2020 5:55 PM

The crate is fine just let the dog be able to get in and out of it at night. Don’t shut the door or lock him in. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 59June 22, 2020 6:01 PM

Too late! I gave the dog away. Some kids were playing outside and I told them they could have him.

by Anonymousreply 60June 22, 2020 6:08 PM

OP, have you explained why you want to crate your dog?

You could train him to sleep in your bedroom on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 61June 22, 2020 8:09 PM

Maybe he's a light sleeper and the noise from the dog is disturbing. I could never sleep with my cat in the same room. She was always moving around, licking her paws or hopping on top of me in the middle of the night. A friend has a French Bulldog who snores louder than a human and he still lets him sleep in his bed. OP, also said the dog left yellow stains on the sheets.

by Anonymousreply 62June 22, 2020 8:22 PM

Thank you r62. He's perfectly happy in his crate. The question is: what does he think of me?

by Anonymousreply 63June 22, 2020 9:50 PM

How the hell are people supposed to know what he thinks of you R63? Who gives a shit about you. Whoever said there were no stupid questions was lying.

by Anonymousreply 64June 22, 2020 9:57 PM

r64 = suffering from a terminal case of stinky pussy.

by Anonymousreply 65June 22, 2020 10:03 PM

Didn't we have a pet psychic on DL at one point who communed with people's dead cats?

....paging Dr. Pet Psychic....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 22, 2020 10:07 PM

The thing to remember is any negative behavior your pet has, was probably reinforced by you. Dogs are masters of picking up cues. Saying "no," to a dog and then letting him do it, is the same as saying "yes."

Some dogs do have behavioral issues and need to be trained or retrained. Go on YouTube and look for videos on "clicker training," which uses positive reinforcement and a clicker to keep your animal focused. And don't forget stimulation, you're dog needs to be played with, and have their mind stimulated, whether that is through play, walks or working for his food (like a puzzle feeder).

by Anonymousreply 67June 22, 2020 10:30 PM

He doesn't have any negative behaviors. He eats from a puzzle feeder, he has a kong, a special blanket, a special pillow and he goes on at least four walks a day. He doesn't bark and he's housetrained. He's got a good life. And he's got a crate he sleeps in at night.

by Anonymousreply 68June 22, 2020 10:36 PM

Good doggie dog dog! Good girl.

by Anonymousreply 69June 23, 2020 1:28 AM

Speaker of fluent Dog, can you tell me what my dog thinks about my shoes and my general lifestyle? He emits a super-high pitched whine when he gets excited but otherwise he's silent.

by Anonymousreply 70June 23, 2020 2:01 AM

Your dogs all love you, ok? Even bad people who treat their dogs poorly are loved by their dogs. That’s what it means to be a dog. No judgment.

As for shoes, your dog is telling you to clean up the damn house, you filthy pig. And he doesn’t care for your lifestyle. He wants you to settle down and start working from home.

by Anonymousreply 71June 23, 2020 12:07 PM

r68

Then it's fine again, no your dog doesn't think you go into a crate. You're dog doesn't even care. All animals, including humans, are individuals, so you never know. Stop overanalyzing this and just enjoy him.

by Anonymousreply 72June 23, 2020 12:53 PM

He peed on my comforter this morning! He's never done that before. What a little bitch!

by Anonymousreply 73June 23, 2020 6:22 PM

Using "crate" as a euphemism for "cage" bugs me....It's like "passed" for "died." Your dog is in a CAGE, honey....I couldn't do it to my dog, who loves to sleep on top of the bed with me. That's all I have to say..

by Anonymousreply 74June 23, 2020 6:46 PM

How did you manage to train the pup as you Sashayed and kept Lindzing so much as to trip yourself?

by Anonymousreply 75June 23, 2020 8:58 PM

Why shouldn’t dogs enjoy minimalist furniture in natural shades?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 23, 2020 9:12 PM

Crates are disgusting. Our dog sleeps in our bed, he’s part of our “pack”.

by Anonymousreply 77June 23, 2020 9:22 PM

The dog came to me already housetrained and bark-free. Except for today, when he peed on my comforter, he's never peed inside.

by Anonymousreply 78June 23, 2020 9:29 PM

There is nothing wrong with crates. I didn't use them on my dogs because they were always small and it wasn't a "thing" then. I probably would do things differently if I had a dog today and especially if I had a big or powerful dog. You can get away with not having a well trained smaller dog unless its behavior is obnoxious. Big or powerful dogs need a firmer hand and less cuddly loving. So the practice of keeping them off furniture or your bed, for instance, unless they have been given permission is important to maintaining proper control of the dog - which may save its or someone else's life one day. Being a good dog owner is a serious responsibility. Free range dog rearing is almost as bad as free range child rearing. A disciplined and well trained dog is a happier and more secure pet.

The recommendation is to lock the dog in at night until it learns to sleep there on its own. Especially until it has passed its puppy destructive days. Not much different than putting a baby in a crib - you know with those cruel bars and all. The only thing I fear is if there is a fire and the crate is too far away from you. Dogs do love crates, as everyone should know dogs are den animals.

by Anonymousreply 79June 23, 2020 9:44 PM

My dog does not start out in my bed but often winds up there, at the foot of the bed.

He usually lays under the coffee table during the day when people are home, but if he's on his own he will go into his crate.

Although there is a fairly new fleece cushion in his crate he will sometimes drag the fluffy rug from the bathroom into the crate and sleep on that.

When he was a puppy and I'd leave, I used to keep him in his crate, but never for more than 2-3 hours.

by Anonymousreply 80June 23, 2020 9:52 PM

OP, I hope you have at least had the decency to get the dog a nice crate. A stylish statement piece. Not a horrible, déclassé, wire cage you bought at a pet store or worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 23, 2020 9:55 PM

[quote] When he was a puppy and I'd leave, I used to keep him in his crate, but never for more than 2-3 hours.

I used to leave my puppy in the lower level family room when I went out. It had a door at the top of the stairs so I could leave him there and not worry about the whole house. He almost never had an accident - he was sooo smart and good - so he soon had free reign of the house all the time. I miss him.

by Anonymousreply 82June 23, 2020 9:59 PM

Hell R81 that's nicer than my trailer.

by Anonymousreply 83June 23, 2020 10:15 PM

When I rescued a greyhound that group would not allow a crate. The said they were in crates 23 hours a day. My do loves sleeping in my bedroom on his own bed...

by Anonymousreply 84June 24, 2020 1:39 AM

I don't think he thinks my room was my crate because when he came in here this morning he lifted his leg and peed on my bed! Do dogs piss in each other's crates? I don't think so. He's started to think of my room as "outdoors" and therefore a suitable place for peeing.

by Anonymousreply 85June 24, 2020 2:25 AM

It's all about scent, R85. For some reason, you've got a bedroom that smells like something a dog wants to piss on.

by Anonymousreply 86June 24, 2020 2:50 AM

Do dogs like the smell of human pee? If I peed on a towel and put it in or near his crate, what would he do?

by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2020 2:55 AM

This bed has a built in dog crate, lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 25, 2020 3:45 AM

R87 Think you are uncouth?

by Anonymousreply 89June 25, 2020 3:46 AM

UPDATE: I started letting him sleep on my bed. He doesn't leave behind any unsightly yellow stains anymore. The groomer must have milked his butt. I also got him some Vanilla Almond dog cologne.

by Anonymousreply 90June 29, 2020 2:46 AM

I think the point of locking dog in crate would be if you’re going out and you want to protect your dog while he/she is alone at home. We don’t do that anymore though because we trust she’ll be ok.

by Anonymousreply 91June 29, 2020 3:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!