Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just completed cataract surgery on both eyes.

I’m 53 and my left eye was at -19 by the time I went under the knife, so it was crucial. Happy to answer any questions in case someone is on the fence about it.

by Anonymousreply 41June 29, 2020 10:29 PM

How impaired was your vision before you got the surgery?

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2020 6:21 PM

My dad had cataracts. Maybe I will one day as well. Is this something you knew you had, or was discovered during routine eye exam, or?

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2020 6:21 PM

I thought eating cataracts was GOOD for your eyes.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2020 6:26 PM

R1 See above. My left eye was nearsighted to -19. My surgeon’s office nurse told me she had never seen an RX that bad. (Contacts don’t go past -12, I believe.) My right eye was -8. I was unable to see those large, overhead freeway exit signs even with contacts and the final few weeks before surgery, I wore contacts AND 3.00 readers and still couldn’t see subtitles on my huge TV screen from ten feet away. It was bad. I can see about 20/25 in both eyes now and only have to wear readers for very close up work. It’s life changing.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2020 6:36 PM

R2 I’ve always had bad vision but last fall, I noticed that it was dramatically worsening. I finally saw my optometrist in February and she diagnosed it. Then Covid hit, of course, so I had to wait until early June. Each surgery took about ten minutes and I was fairly lucid the entire time. I was able to make a Clockwork Orange joke, even.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2020 6:38 PM

Did you have them both done at once? In my mother's case they were about a month apart.

Among other improvements, she was most surprised by color perception, which led to her being quite upset at her most recent wardrobe purchases. She gave us hell for letting her parade around in those flamboyant colors.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2020 6:52 PM

That's calcium, Rose, not cataracts.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2020 7:02 PM

OP, I wish you hadn’t said “under the knife” when discussing your eyes. That is my nightmare, having anything sharp near my eyes.

But I appreciate offering advice!

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2020 7:13 PM

I had both eyes done a few years ago. Other than improved clarity and could now see without my glasses (except for reading small print), the first thing I noticed that colors were more vivid and how bright white things were. I guess the cataracts made colors dull.

What I didn't know is that some people, like me, need to have another procedure a few years later to open a hole in the replacement lens in both eyes to restore a glaze that formed over the lens which blurred my vision. After the procedure my clear eyesight was restored. R8 wouldn't like this procedure because a laser was used to open the hole in the replacement lens.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2020 7:17 PM

R8 aren't most cataract surgeries now done with lasers?

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2020 7:54 PM

The unfortunate side effect of your surgery is that now you can see how god awful your body looks in a mirror because of how out of shape you are!!! We warned you, OP!!!

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2020 8:01 PM

I’ve had both done as well. They only did one eye at a time, to avoid potential complications if there’s an infection or something. You’re kept awake the whole time after your eye is frozen in place, so I felt a little claustrophobic and panicked at the first one. Invest in the soft lenses, it’s far less complicated and more problem free over time. That’s because a much smaller incision into the eye is needed to replace the lens. The soft lens is folded in quarters when it’s inserted, and you can see a fuzzy image of the surgeon unfolding it in your eye.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2020 8:05 PM

I'm right behind you at 51

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2020 8:05 PM

Cataratas de Niagara

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2020 8:09 PM

R10, no. You’re thinking of when eyes lenses are reshaped a little to correct vision. Cataracts are when the lens is damaged by disease or an after effect of medications. It’s hardened and thick, like trying to look thru a fingernail. There’s a brilliance to the return of full colours when dealt with.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2020 8:09 PM

R15 .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2020 8:12 PM

A good client of mine had the surgery on both eyes and when she was finally able to see-

promptly fired her maid of 24 years.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2020 8:21 PM

My biggest concern with my cataracts is the practically blinding halos that occur with oncoming headlights when driving at night. But apparently the acuity of my vision hasn't yet deteriorated to the point where insurance will cover the cost of the corrective procedure.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2020 8:25 PM

R18, I haven’t experienced that but again, I had no choice but to do the surgery so I would have accepted that risk. TBH, I haven’t driven much at night since either surgery (a week apart), due to Covid, but I didn’t notice anything negative.

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2020 8:27 PM

How much does the surgery cost?

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2020 8:35 PM

I had cataract surgery a year and a half ago, I did my worst eye and then the other eye a month later. I was only 47, my doctor thinks that my lens thickened due to taking Plaquenil years earlier. I couldn't see at all out of my left eye so I am glad I had them done, people are getting them done at younger ages these days.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2020 8:42 PM

I know somebody who is blind in one eye due to a detached retina, and is concerned about the surgery in their “good” eye. How much downtime was there after the procedure?

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2020 8:45 PM

I had both eyes done within two weeks. I've had terrible vision for 40 years. I see great now. Still have to wear a light prescription for distance though because I have astigmatism.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2020 9:23 PM

R19, I read it that way at first, too, but he's saying that the halos are an effect of having the cataracts. You're probably good.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2020 9:35 PM

You're correct, R24.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2020 9:50 PM

No downtime to speak of R22. The rest of the day of surgery, you’re recovering from the dilation, and then you can’t do any heavy lifting for a few days, but other than it’s a breeze.

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2020 10:34 PM

I loved that song by Olivia Newton-John

A cataract, you're giving me a cataract

Must've died and gone to heaven

What a way to go-e-o-e---o

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2020 12:05 AM

R22 I had some corneal issues in that they needed debriding so it took me a few days to feel normal, maybe a week of light sensitivity and stickiness when waking up. Steroid drops for a few weeks after. I’m 2.5 weeks out from my second eye and feel really good.

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2020 12:06 AM

Do you get that sparkly reflection in your eyes now from the implanted lenses? Some doctors dismissively refer to it as a "twinkle". Not all intra-ocular lenses do this. I'm curious if doctors have moved away from the reflective ones or if patients even a choice in the matter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2020 6:06 AM

It would be nice if they could find a technological solution to that. I haven't had the surgery and don't need it, but the "doll eyes" effect in others is pretty distracting.

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2020 4:09 PM

I guess OP is done answering questions.

by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2020 3:20 AM

Did you have double vision as well, OP, before the surgery?

by Anonymousreply 32June 29, 2020 3:27 AM

My elder man was astounded by the colors he had been missing all this time, he said they were jumping out at him.

by Anonymousreply 33June 29, 2020 4:14 AM

I am not OP but also had cataract surgery last year, R29. No twinkly or sparkly stuff. No halos when driving. The whole process has been a lot less eventful than I had imagined.

by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2020 7:23 PM

R32 Yes, when I was tested by the surgeon prior to surgery, I saw double (without my contacts). You know the letters on the wall screen? I couldn’t even see the largest one.

by Anonymousreply 35June 29, 2020 10:14 PM

R29

Sorry! Just now realized people had been commenting. Yes, my left lens flutters a bit on the side when I wake up, especially if the light source is on my left. Doc just told me last week that it would go away and he fully gone within the next year.

by Anonymousreply 36June 29, 2020 10:16 PM

Thank you. Yeah, I have this a bit. This thread is very helpful.

by Anonymousreply 37June 29, 2020 10:17 PM

Before you had the surgery, OP, were your eyes extremely sensitive to headlights from other cars when driving in the dark?

I've noticed more and more frequently lately that when I'm driving at night and a car pulls up behind me at a light, sometimes the light is so bright that I have to hold my hand over my side mirror and flip my rear view mirror to the tinted setting. At first, I thought it was just idiots driving with their brights on, but it seems to be happening more frequently over the last year, and I'm wondering if it's because of my cataract.

by Anonymousreply 38June 29, 2020 10:20 PM

OP here with an update: a month post-op and left eye is 20/25. Right eye is 20/20. Someone above asked about cost. It’s hard to say because insurance is different and mine came in under medical, not vision. Anyway, all told was probably around $5000-6000? Still processing a few claims and may get a few reimbursements due to a Cigna error. This is in Austin and my surgeon was David Tremblay with Mann Eye Institute. Fabulous experience.

by Anonymousreply 39June 29, 2020 10:24 PM

I had both eyes done eight years ago, each a week apart. When the doctor took off the bandage the day after the first eye, I actually cried. I had no idea what detail I was missing. Now, I have wet macular degeneration. No link between the surgery and that, though.

by Anonymousreply 40June 29, 2020 10:26 PM

Can you see dead people?

by Anonymousreply 41June 29, 2020 10:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!