Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's almost scary how advanced artificial intelligence is in China

China made an investment in Artificial Intelligence and data harvesting. It is focused on being the world leader in technology by 2030.

If data is the new oil; China is the new Saudi Arabia

Here is a recent documentary from PBS' Frontline. Even if you watch the first 15 minutes, you'll be amazed at what they are already doing in China.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2020 3:18 PM

All that tech and they still haven't discovered cleanliness.

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2020 6:34 PM

Let's not forget China flat-out steals a lot of its tech "innovations" from America and other countries. Screw that government.

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2020 6:35 PM

I think America is bothered simply because it isn’t them. I’m sure they’re doing their best to catch us as fast as they can though.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2020 6:39 PM

Who's the cutie genius at 23 minutes?

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2020 6:40 PM

I think what "America" is bothered by is how China has always had its 2 billion people subjugated.

We can't wait to catch up!

by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2020 6:42 PM

Perfectly understandable and expected responses so far.

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2020 6:47 PM

China is the county that will lead the 21st century.

Ignore at your own peril

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2020 11:00 PM

Googles end goal has always been A.I. so this is not that scary.

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2020 11:19 PM

We studied this a bit in grad school last year. China invests much more into AI technology research than the US, however, a lot of their research is not peer reviewed or recognized by the broader scientific community. And as someone else said, a lot of it is stolen.

The other technology they are looking to master is nanotechnology. In fact a Harvard professor and Chinese students were found to be spying for China earlier this year. With China still authoritarian, and if it were to make monumental breakthroughs in AI and nanotechnology, a dangerous game would play out for the entire world.

If there's a technological disaster in the next 30 years, I think there's a high chance China will be behind it. They are for competitive advantage at any cost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2020 7:11 PM

Another reason to hate China! fucking communists!!!

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2020 7:18 PM

China is pretty capitalistic actually

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2020 7:23 PM

Kind of bumping that China population a bit, aren’t you, R5?

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2020 7:26 PM

R11 has some trappings of a capitalist economy, but all major companies are beholden to the state and CCP government.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2020 7:28 PM

You'd think that we'd be doing everything in our power to keep the lead in tech that America has enjoyed for the last 50 years... but no, this administration is so busy selling out America to the Chinese that it makes your head spin.

We lost our dominance in energy to the Arabs in the 70s.

We lost our dominance in manufacturing to the Asia in the 80s.

We lost our dominance in agriculture, culminating with Trump's tariffs that have decimated farmers throughout the country, to present day.

America invented the internet (thanks, Al Gore) and handed cheap telecommunications to the rest of the world, where they believe in the power of the internet and put high speed connections everywhere... except the USA, where universal access is so low on our list of priorities that it doesn't even get mentioned anymore.

And now, we're busy letting our dominance in computing slip away, sold to the highest Chinese bidder. What they can't buy, they steal. Mark my words: by 2030, people in Silicon Valley (and across the nation) will wonder what happened to our tech industry, let alone our head start.

We can't get Chinese patents on technology that we clearly own, but Ivanka can get patents and trademarks on her crappy substandard clothing line (in exchange for the Administration looking the other way when the Chinese pillage American interests).

America's oligarchs just won't be happy until there is nothing left of America but a hulled-out shell and a population that grovels for mere existence.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2020 7:33 PM

R14 this problem is beyond US Democratic or Republican politics. There are bigger forces in play.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2020 7:48 PM

I thought Israel was all cutting edge.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2020 7:50 PM

Most of China’s leaders/politicians are engineers. US politicians are mostly lawyers & oligarchs, paid for by billionaires who inherited their fortunes.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2020 8:04 PM

This problem is well within the political realm, R15. We need leadership and strong president who can prioritize American interests, not some weak-kneed indebted buffoon whose only goal is to enrich himself and his family.

May I suggest you read a bit about the New Deal and how FDR turned America's farmers into titans of industry... before Reagan, both Bushes, and now Trump handed that mantle to our competitors? The numbers don't lie. Number of farms in America in 1935: 6.8 million. Number of farms in America in 2020: 2 million. And farm bankruptcies in 2019 — the height of Trump's economic "boom" — were as bad as at the height of the 2008 financial collapse. Take a look at the bar chart on the left, attached, showing fram bankruptcies; if it's not within the political realm, why do we see a cluster of gray bars (representing decreased farm bankruptcies) during the Obama era, and a cluster of red bars during the Bush and now Trump eras?

The funny part is that tech thinks they're exempt from the selling-out of America, but hollers mightily when their technology is stolen. And then hires millions of college-educated programmers for pennies on the dollar, everywhere from Beijing to Bangalore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2020 8:26 PM

sorry but I don't see dems or repulicunts being tough on China. One is too soft and the other too corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2020 8:43 PM

sorry but I don't see dems or repulicunts being tough on China. One is too soft and the other too corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2020 8:43 PM

OP thanks for sharing this. Some of this is inspiring; however, most of it is quite scary.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2020 9:05 PM

Today's babies are tomorrow's Cyborgs.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2020 9:26 PM

R18 The US is a net exporter of agricultural foods which are essentially commodities on the world market. That means the success or failure of farmers in the US is volatile and open to the impact of production from other countries, as well as, foreign regulations and tariffs. It is a system in constant flux. With the work that I do and the grad courses I have taken, I would never look at one or two charts, and draw a conclusion. If that's the rationale you're using than the chart on left could be used to say there were record ABSOLUTE numbers of bankruptcy filings under Obama that haven't even been seen under Trump.

You also have to consider how many farms are in the US overall to understand context. According to the USDA, there are over 2 million farms in the US and your charts seem to just number in the hundreds. Are the farms big or small? How many new farms start every year? Filing for bankruptcy also doesn't necessarily spell the end for any business, it's simply a way for them to reorganize their debt structure.

In any case, what I'm talking about is China's stealing hundreds of billions of dollars worth of intellectual property over the decades, and blatant disregard for any countries laws that stand in its way. No country, including the US and Democrat and Republican leaders, have seemed to even try to confront it effectively. A unified front is needed not Dem vs Rep ad infinitum.

Compound that with fact that China is an authoritarian country where the reason it is pursuing AI technology so aggressively is to allow for near omnipresent surveillance of its populace.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2020 9:32 PM

Almost scary, OP? Try horrifying. China is neck-and-neck with Russia as the very last country that you'd want to have using AI and everything-recognition technology.

Makes Orwell's Big Brother look like a teddy bear.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2020 9:41 PM

Good thing I wear a mask when outside the home

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2020 10:08 PM

[quote]We lost our dominance

Is this a lyric from a white capitalist's lament song?

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2020 10:15 PM

Of course there were more "absolute" farm bankruptcies under Obama's tenure — you forget that his term began in January 2009, before the full effects of Bush's housing collapse were felt throughout the worldwide economy — but that Obama turned that trend around by 2011, which is what the graph I linked illustrates. That wasn't the point, as I wrote; the number of American farms is way, way down from our days when we actually did put agriculture higher on the scale of important industries (I specifically said the number of American farms had declined to about 2 million in 2019 from a peak of 6.8 million in 1935). The moment Trump took office and began undoing everything Obama did, he turned those upward trending farming numbers around and veered wildly into the wrong direction with bankruptcies skyrocketing due to Trump's stupid trade wars, specifically with China.

The first point you make, however, is the tell. American farming is tied inexorably with trade. Obama understood this, and went to China in his first year in office (widely panned, of course, because doing the hard work is, well... hard). Remember how Hillary was blasted by republican punditry for her pivot to Asia and away from the Middle East? Why do you think Obama's State Department pivoted? China is poised to take become the biggest economy in the world, taking that title from the US. China is going to be, if not already, our most important export market for agriculture. Trump took a wrecking ball to what was a relative strength. He sacrificed the one area that the US had some influence [italic]in China[/itali] to the market for everything else; it was more important for Trump that Ivanka was able to secure trademarks and cheap shoe and clothing manufacturing than it was for our entire agriculture industry to succeed in the Chinese market. But then again, Trump was never a farmer; he is, however, a huge importer of cheap crap he sells to the rubes. Ironically, even his MAGA hats are made in China.

And then Trump turns around and begs President Xi to help him get re-elected. Of course Xi wants Trump re-elected; scholars of Chinese-American relations plainly state that a weakened US is easier to dominate, and Trump has done nothing but weaken our interests around the world, nowhere more obvious than China. To wit, when we're down and suffering due to Coronavirus, Trump begs China to buy our agricultural goods; China sees that as an opportunity to buy while prices are depressed [italic]and[/italic] a way to hurt Americans domestically, so they place huge orders for pork products knowing that meat packing plants are the most efficient breeding grounds for viral outbreaks (remember, China has a lot more experience dealing with viruses than we do, and they know exactly where the problems will occur).

Then they tell Trump that these purchases are critically important, so he issues an executive order to kill American meat plant workers... err, I mean, orders meat packing plants to stay open during the worst viral outbreak we've ever seen in this country. Thousands, possible tens of thousands of people acquired Covid-19 directly linked to meat packing plants; hundreds, possibly thousands, will die as a result. And here's the pointed question that Xi considered in this trade: the American military does not draw cannon fodder from college campuses and high society, but from small town rural America where there is dwindling opportunity. What better way to put America on a path to a weakened military, on top of a weakened agricultural industry, than kill two birds with one store: its source of recruits?

Xi played Trump like a cheap radio.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2020 10:35 PM

I’m ready to be controlled by the soon to be the leading superpower country of the world. I’m learning Mandarin as I speak

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2020 10:52 PM

R27 I see the point your making and the argument that Trump made it worse is there, but that is very specific to one industry. It still doesn't erase 25 years of Chinese espionage and stolen IP that political leaders across the spectrum and from different countries have done little to address. There are rich and powerful Democrats the same way there are rich and powerful Republicans, and they sold out a lot of Americans.

All this has led to the original topic of the thread, which is China's pursuit to master AI. If they can make a revolutionary breakthrough in that technology, it is very likely to lead to harmful consequences for many people because China still has a centrally controlled authoritarian government. Obama starting a positive trend in agriculture isn't going to stop that and is only a small piece to a very intricate and dangerous game.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2020 12:04 AM

ALL of China’s tech is stolen. ALL of it.

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2020 1:43 AM

Have you all seen the reports on Chinese schools implementing headsets that measure brainwaves and compile data on student concentration? Terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 2, 2020 11:27 AM

Just a comment on AI. I don’t think that monumental “breakthrough” is ever going to happen. Even learning systems have guidelines that are static.

by Anonymousreply 32July 2, 2020 11:47 AM

That China stole, or how much technology it stole seems the smallest point.

Trump stole the election. Reasonable people know this. It is no secret and it hasn't been a secret since before he took office. And yet there he is, people shouting the truth of his election theft as the supporting evidence mounts and more articles and news coverage appear, and all the while he smirks and and tweets false indignation and plots a second round of trick in hopes of a second round at the presidency.

In a technology race (or an election) the focus should be on the future moves not on how to set up the perfect truth and reconciliation commission.

But thanks, OP. Very interesting on many points (if here and there a little long-winded and weepy on American industrial losses.) I like d the guy at 56.00 which dismissed the attribution of the U.S. manufacturing demise to offshoring, [paraphrasing]: no, tha't a part, but not more than 20%; 80% is from automation and other efficiencies that eliminate the need for jobs (not the transfer of jobs to cheaper labor markets.) Again, Trump plays to lies to rally his American troops against imagined foreign enemies that rob America of its riches.

by Anonymousreply 33July 2, 2020 2:55 PM

I don't think the West can fathom how huge China's global ambition today really is. Maybe we could have in the time of the robber barons or when Britannia waived the rules.

by Anonymousreply 34August 2, 2020 12:34 PM

China: great at replicating, HORRIBLE at inventing.

by Anonymousreply 35August 2, 2020 12:42 PM

America is the most inventive country ever. It will be interesting to see if it will remain so as it shuts down is immigration and racist fascism rises.

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2020 6:14 AM

Fuck China I hope a major disaster befalls their country and their country alone. I’m sick of the rich pricks from there driving up real estate prices.

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2020 6:21 AM

Soon they’ll be using CRISPR on a mass scale for children while our ethicists and religious figures agonize over it and out ignorant masses get our politicians to ban it.

China: building out 5G overnight

US and EU: citizens blame 5G towers for illnesses and burn them down.

Again: IQ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2020 6:24 AM

There’s nothing to fear. Our future under China will be peaceful and safe. Harmonious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2020 6:26 AM

They're making huge strides in solar power, while the U.S. is still tryin' to save them coal jobs.

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2020 6:30 AM

[quote]America is the most inventive country ever. It will be interesting to see if it will remain so as it shuts down is immigration and racist fascism rises.

Is or was? Maybe it's the focus of the news I'm exposed to, but the U.S. while maintaining its title is losing its position. China is obviously on an ascent, Japan continues to distinguish itself in a niche of specialty patents for semiconductors, telecom, metallurgy, and optics; and the European Patent Office holds a much higher position now and is often a first stop before the U.S. now. The U.S. may still be ahead but it seems the distance it one had from other nations is eroding on all sides: they are not ahead so uniformly nor so distantly. The downside of 4 or 5 years of a government that has been opposed to immigration of people with advanced skills in science and technology, opposed to visas for international students, antagonistic toward domestic education, and hostile toward international cooperation seems certain to accelerate this spread between where the U.S. was and where it is. Even assuming a change of government in 2021, it would be a few years under optimum circumstances to see sure signs of reversal.

by Anonymousreply 41August 9, 2020 11:16 AM

Here too. A LOT of commercials use it.

by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2020 11:26 AM

[quote] China is the county that will lead the 21st century.

No, it won’t. Its population is imploding. The demographic time bomb caused by the one child policy, combined with rapid urbanization leading to a collapsing birth rate has guaranteed that.

Its trajectory of population decline and aging is even steeper than Japan’s, but the problem for China of that Japan got rich before it got older. China is still spending money and racking up debt as if there are going to be more people around to pay it off in the future. But there won’t. By 2100 China will probably have HALF the population it has today. And there’s not a damn thing they can do about that now.

by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2020 11:46 AM

They are going to microchip us with the Mark of the Beast!

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2020 11:51 AM

Speaking of China being horrible...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2020 5:34 PM

The video shows that the Chinese government is now targetting Christians and Buddhists in addition to the Muslims they were already targetting. What a despicable government.

by Anonymousreply 46August 9, 2020 6:34 PM

Only 50? What happened to the other 300?

by Anonymousreply 47August 9, 2020 6:37 PM

Targeting Muslims! How dare they? That is my thing! -DJT

In the long game, I think a lot of China's advancements are for show. Has anybody read how many of those 5G networks provide an astonishing experience? Do they now suddenly put out quality goods without having their hands held by the West? I don't know, that is why I ask.

I wouldn't be surprised if India flanked China in the next few decades. And while that is an uncertainty, I don't think India would have the huge inferiority complex that China does.

by Anonymousreply 48August 9, 2020 6:43 PM

R48, the good thing about India is that it is a democracy (even if this hurts them in terms of development). And I think what China has is actually a huge SUPERIORITY complex. I guess I can see why they do--they were the dominant economic power for a long time. But what great things has China done in the past 50 or so years?

by Anonymousreply 49August 9, 2020 6:59 PM

Have you been to China over the last50 years?

by Anonymousreply 50August 9, 2020 8:14 PM

No and no thanks, I don't care to. When I say great things, I mean in terms of human rights, groundbreaking legislation, advancing the world in a positive direction, etc. I'm well aware of what they've achieved technologically.

by Anonymousreply 51August 9, 2020 10:12 PM

Chinese are notorious liars.

by Anonymousreply 52August 9, 2020 10:29 PM

R52 they've lifted more than a billion people out of poverty. A fifth of the world population.

by Anonymousreply 53August 9, 2020 11:34 PM

Ah, the mental gymnastics of r53...

by Anonymousreply 54August 9, 2020 11:52 PM

Oh r54 I don't think I'm the one doing the mental gymnastics. You're in denial. And no, I'm not defending China's record in human rights. But give credit where credit is due.

by Anonymousreply 55August 10, 2020 12:03 AM

[quote]And no, I'm not defending China's record in human rights.

Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 56August 10, 2020 12:21 AM

My god, OP. That Frontline piece was amazing. Jesus the world is going to change enormously in just several years.

by Anonymousreply 57August 10, 2020 12:22 AM

[quote] America is the most inventive country ever. It will be interesting to see if it will remain so as it shuts down is immigration and racist fascism rises.

Our immigrants are the most enterprising of us.

Historically, China has been one of the most inventive countries. For maybe about 500 years, the West has replaced it, but now China is working for dominance again...and will get it.

by Anonymousreply 58August 10, 2020 10:14 PM

[quote] China: great at replicating, HORRIBLE at inventing.

Once again, assholes on DL comment without looking at what they’re commenting on, thereby missing the entire point.

by Anonymousreply 59August 12, 2020 5:33 PM

This would be scarier if most of the world didn't hate China and were coordinating to take them down from their status as a developing superpower.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 12, 2020 5:53 PM

Their immediate neighbors hate them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 12, 2020 5:53 PM

Hatred of China and the desire for regime change is a bipartisan policy in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 12, 2020 5:54 PM

Europe is souring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 12, 2020 5:55 PM

And Russia and China are due for a confrontation with their antes placed on different presidential candidates this fall. Iran and Venezuela are literally their only allies. The rest of the world hates them and will not allow them to lead in the future. War is coming and it will be most of the planet against China. If China had developed something called "tact" and developed better diplomacy skills, they'd be a real threat. Fortunately, they can't get along with anyone and that will ultimately be to their demise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 12, 2020 5:58 PM

Ornamental tinymeat=uncut & stinky with cheese!

by Anonymousreply 65August 12, 2020 6:03 PM

Fortunately for China, AI doesn’t require food:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2020 12:45 PM

Take on Russia before China.

by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2020 3:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!