Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kamala Harris will be Biden’s VP

Deal with it. Just watched a CBS segment and they all but announced it would be KH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306August 11, 2020 8:24 PM

LOL. And how does CBS know?

by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2020 7:52 PM

Yeah, I called in January.

by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2020 7:53 PM

We all know the media is never wrong, never jumps to conclusions, and never just pulls shit out of their asses.

by Anonymousreply 3June 14, 2020 7:54 PM

good.

by Anonymousreply 4June 14, 2020 7:56 PM

I love it!

by Anonymousreply 5June 14, 2020 7:56 PM

Just so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 6June 14, 2020 8:01 PM

Could be. Just several days ago she suddenly jumped on the defund the police bandwagon.

by Anonymousreply 7June 14, 2020 8:09 PM

I would have preferred Elizabeth Warren, but that’s just my personal preference. I think Kamala is great too.

by Anonymousreply 8June 14, 2020 8:10 PM

She would be a good choice. It has to be a woman of color in this political climate, she is very much capable, and has name recognition.

by Anonymousreply 9June 14, 2020 8:14 PM

Over my dead fat black body!

by Anonymousreply 10June 14, 2020 8:14 PM

California !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Biden eventually has to step down, Kamala will become our first female president ! Get use to it people. California will have a string of presidents.

by Anonymousreply 11June 14, 2020 8:14 PM

Is this true?

OP, could you provide a link? Thanks

by Anonymousreply 12June 14, 2020 8:19 PM

Congratulations, President Trump, on your landslide electoral college victory and second term!

by Anonymousreply 13June 14, 2020 8:23 PM

Biden's not announcing til August, so I doubt the decision's been made. I prefer Lujan-Grisham, but Harris will be okay. Her judgement's not been great though

by Anonymousreply 14June 14, 2020 8:23 PM

She’s a good, safe bet.

by Anonymousreply 15June 14, 2020 8:24 PM

Could be a trial balloon or the press jumping the gun.

by Anonymousreply 16June 14, 2020 8:25 PM

He just lost a quarter of the black vote.

by Anonymousreply 17June 14, 2020 8:26 PM

R15, Seriously? She has more baggage than an American Tourister warehouse.

by Anonymousreply 18June 14, 2020 8:27 PM

R13 = Val Demings

by Anonymousreply 19June 14, 2020 8:31 PM

Why the hell did Biden box himself in by stating he would be choosing a female VP?

by Anonymousreply 20June 14, 2020 8:34 PM

Biden probably doesn't even remember how KH embarrassed him during that debate with her "That little girl was me" remark.

by Anonymousreply 21June 14, 2020 8:37 PM

[quote] Why the hell did Biden box himself in by stating he would be choosing a female VP?

The poor old man has had his brain cut into and scooped out in two separate surgeries. You're lucky he didn't commit to choosing Foghorn Leghorn for VP.

by Anonymousreply 22June 14, 2020 8:40 PM

[bold]The best always rise to the top[/bold] hehehe

by Anonymousreply 23June 14, 2020 8:44 PM

Good choice. I'd love Adam Schiff as Attorney General. This magnificent and decent man deserves it. No one is more ready than him. He knows what to do and who to do it to.

by Anonymousreply 24June 14, 2020 8:47 PM

Please, we've already had a pandemic, global economic crisis, and national race riots in the last 9 weeks, plenty of time for a climate catastrophe, terrorist attack, civil conflict, or massive outbreak of STDs.

Anything or anyone can happen on this story arc of "America Turning to Shit"

by Anonymousreply 25June 14, 2020 8:49 PM

[quote]Why the hell did Biden box himself in by stating he would be choosing a female VP?

Because it’s 2020 and it’s time.

by Anonymousreply 26June 14, 2020 8:50 PM

She’ll also be the first female President.

by Anonymousreply 27June 14, 2020 8:50 PM

How is she a good choice when Calif is already locked down in terms of electoral votes? How would she add to the ticket to pull in red/purple states? How can she rise above her prosecutorial record?

by Anonymousreply 28June 14, 2020 8:53 PM

R26, the point is why did Biden box himself in? That's not a smart thing to do, no matter how you do it -- much better to stay flexible as long as you can.

The answer is that Biden has been shooting himself in the foot his whole political life -- for example, if there's a wrong thing to say, he'll say it. At least no one can accuse him of being calculated, he just B L U R T S, which shows how "authentic" and "natural" he is.

by Anonymousreply 29June 14, 2020 8:58 PM

[quote]How would she add to the ticket to pull in red/purple states? How can she rise above her prosecutorial record?

The only two who can do that are Whitmer and Klobuchar, and they are both problematic.

by Anonymousreply 30June 14, 2020 9:00 PM

I’d love to see Warren as Attorney General.

by Anonymousreply 31June 14, 2020 9:01 PM

Trump will win anyway.

by Anonymousreply 32June 14, 2020 9:03 PM

R29, women are 50.8& of the US population

Women are 46.8% of the US workforce

Women vote at higher percentages than men, 55.7%

VP Biden has stated that he wants an Administration that is reflective of the nation. Committing to choosing a woman to be his running mate, and hopefully Vice President, is really a "no-brainer" and LONG overdue.

Besides... they look good together too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 14, 2020 9:10 PM

There is just no other choice. Kamala is the only choice.

by Anonymousreply 34June 14, 2020 9:12 PM

The OP's photoshop picture is so photoshopped as to be fake.

Color of skin and teeth, eye-bags, glints and matting

by Anonymousreply 35June 14, 2020 9:12 PM

If she gets it, good. But it comes down to will all of America be ready to have a black woman as President?

[quote]She’ll also be the first female President.

That's what they said about Hillary Clinton. And look at how that turned out.

by Anonymousreply 36June 14, 2020 9:16 PM

I see no chemistry between them at all.

by Anonymousreply 37June 14, 2020 9:18 PM

R29 You're not far off. I think Biden got caught up in the moment when asked if he would choose a female as VP. Bernie answered something to the effect that he would choose the best candidate, but Biden jumped and said yes they will be female. Now, with the BLM movement and racial tensions and the country boiling over, he's being pushed (pressured?) to pick an African-American as VP, and because he committed to picking a woman... well, there it is.

I've also heard people say that he made a deal with Clyburn right before the SC primaries where Biden promised to choose an AA as VP, but not necessarily a woman. I do wonder if Clyburn and even Obama are behind the scenes here, pulling some strings. The decision in the end will be Biden's, but his options were few and far once he boxed himself in. So instead of choosing the best possible candidate as his running mate, he will choose the best possible African-American woman as his running mate.

Choices are limited based on political experience alone.

In the end, though, I don't think it will matter much for 2020, as I believe Biden will win. What he and the party should be doing now is choosing the front-runner for 2024 and 2028 and beyond. That's where the focus should be, cause Biden will only serve one term. Which means his VP becomes the front-runner in 2024. Hopefully he chooses wisely but I'm sure there are a lot of people who are in on this decision.

The Dems must be thinking about their long game. Which means beyond this election cycle. It's time to destroy the Republican party (its rotten to its core), and allow it time to rebuild. But in this time, the Dems have a chance to really take control of government (hopefully they'll do some good and reverse a lot of the bad of the last 4 years). Question is... are they capable of this? Does Tom Perez have this type of insight within him to think beyond what's right in front of his face? Yes, they must defeat the Orange Fucktwad in November. But this is more than just a one-time election cycle. They have to throw out Moscow Mitch and Miss Lindsay and the lot of them to start rebuilding the country.

As a final thought... imagine Tom Cotton, Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz (among many others) who will run for President in 2024. Can VP Harris beat them, if the country is in a good place come 2024? Can a VP Warren? VP Abrams? VP Bottoms? VP Demings? Think about it...

by Anonymousreply 38June 14, 2020 9:19 PM

r34 = Kamala Harris

by Anonymousreply 39June 14, 2020 9:19 PM

She’s a good choice. Plus, should there be debates, she’ll shred Pence to threads.

by Anonymousreply 40June 14, 2020 9:21 PM

Kamala is an excellent choice. She will excel.

by Anonymousreply 41June 14, 2020 9:23 PM

[quote]If she gets it, good. But it comes down to will all of America be ready to have a black woman as President?

That's the question. It was the same question of asked about President Obama. But, Obama has shown and proved that the nation was correct in moving forward with him--especially given this mess that followed him. Trump has only enhanced the Obama legacy.

But, I remember when Obama had some meeting with Democrats and Republicans and I'll never forget how Eric Cantor looked at him. It was a face of wonderment and; "How did you get here before me?" Meaning, his people. The same reservations might be held toward Harris. Sorry, to bring it up but racism is a factor in all of this. But, I do think that Kamala and the Biden campaign will rise above this.

I can easily envision Harris as POTUS unlike Geraldine Ferraro (but, she was a good choice) and Sarah Palin (who was never in the running)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 14, 2020 9:28 PM

LMAO, so when the national conversation is about policing, he picks a prosecutor with a fire and brimstone record? Great job.

I swear, it’s like the Left doesn’t want to win.

by Anonymousreply 43June 14, 2020 9:30 PM

[quote] I do wonder if Clyburn and even Obama are behind the scenes here, pulling some strings.

Ohhhh.... I believe that Obama's hand is definitely in this cookie jar. His fight is not only for the country but he's personally after Trump.

by Anonymousreply 44June 14, 2020 9:32 PM

[quote]But it comes down to will all of America be ready to have a black woman as President?

Yes, because Harris is bi-racial and light-skinned enough, like Obama. Someone as dark as Val Demings?...no America is not ready.

by Anonymousreply 45June 14, 2020 9:33 PM

FUCK Kamaltoe Harris!

Fuck her right in her droning, mealy-mouthed, cloying, "that little girl was me" piehole!

Fuck the jags and jagettes who STILL haven't figured out - at this late date - that African-Americans can't freaking STAND her or are, at best, indifferent to her.

Fuck the brain-dead dickwads who STILL haven't figured out that she's not gonna "deliver" California for Biden, since he's gonna win there, anyway (as opposed to Joe picking a Veep from typically Trumptard states like Florida, Georgia, or even Michigan, yeah, Gretchen Whitmer.)

And ESPECIALLY fuck DL's blind, smarmy, obsequious, sniveling Kamala ass-licker / poster. She has nothing - NOTHING - that will help Biden win.

by Anonymousreply 46June 14, 2020 9:33 PM

[quote]It has to be a woman of color in this political climate, she is very much capable, and has name recognition.

It has to be the person who can do the best job.

If that's a woman of color then so be it but he was careful to say he'd put a black woman on the Supreme Court but wouldn't specify the race of the VP for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 47June 14, 2020 9:34 PM

In their debate, Pence will make evry effort to come across as Nice Dad and Harris will merely be perceived as Nice Dad's ballbuster.

by Anonymousreply 48June 14, 2020 9:35 PM

Healthy, big-boned Kamala standing next to Biden will make him seem even more feeble.

by Anonymousreply 49June 14, 2020 9:35 PM

He didn’t lock himself into choosing a black VP. But because there is a currently a race war taking place, circumstances are deeming it necessary.

by Anonymousreply 50June 14, 2020 9:36 PM

[quote]She’s a good choice. Plus, should there be debates, she’ll shred Pence to threads.

He's barely an appetizer. Harris would be the attack dog out to shred Trump and will do it. And, people thought that Palin was an attack dog?

by Anonymousreply 51June 14, 2020 9:36 PM

It sounds like R46 is already scared.

by Anonymousreply 52June 14, 2020 9:38 PM

[quote]Healthy, big-boned Kamala standing next to Biden will make him seem even more feeble.

Kamala is only 5’2”, so she’ll seem diminutive next to 6’0” Biden.

by Anonymousreply 53June 14, 2020 9:38 PM

Biden had the best chemistry with Pete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 14, 2020 9:40 PM

I think that it is just down to 3

-Elizabeth Warren: But, her negative is her age

-Susan Rice: But, her negative is name recognotion

-Kamala Harris: Just right.

by Anonymousreply 55June 14, 2020 9:41 PM

Big boned?

by Anonymousreply 56June 14, 2020 9:42 PM

[quote]Healthy, big-boned Kamala standing next to Biden will make him seem even more feeble.

One can always pick out the Republicans and BernieBros... Actually they're the same thing.

Personal. Personal. Personal.

by Anonymousreply 57June 14, 2020 9:43 PM

[quote]Susan Rice: But, her negative is name recognotion

Her name is well-recognized as the liar from Benghazi.

by Anonymousreply 58June 14, 2020 9:44 PM

[quote] I'll never forget how Eric Cantor looked at him. It was a face of wonderment and; "How did you get here before me?" Meaning, his people.

His people meaning the Jews, r42?

by Anonymousreply 59June 14, 2020 9:45 PM

The optics are good. I'll give her that but I don't see how she can help win the election.

by Anonymousreply 60June 14, 2020 9:46 PM

I can see the GOP ads now: Mean Kamala locked up the mommies and daddies of little black boys and girls for skipping school.

She will be dead to millions of Democratic voters.

by Anonymousreply 61June 14, 2020 9:46 PM

[Quote] That's what they said about Hillary Clinton. And look at how that turned out.

Hills won. It was stolen from her and us. We all know it but we were all lazy and didn't do anything about it. TRUTH!

by Anonymousreply 62June 14, 2020 9:46 PM

Okay.

Whoever it is, I’m obligated to vote for them.

by Anonymousreply 63June 14, 2020 9:47 PM

Biden probably said he was going to pick a female MP to stop all the potential male candidates from trying to convince him to pick them, particularly since that would almost certainly make them the Democratic presidential candidate in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 64June 14, 2020 9:47 PM

Yes, R59. I'll NEVER forget that face. It was one of wonderment, yet bewilderment.

by Anonymousreply 65June 14, 2020 9:48 PM

Until now I really liked Harris. She is extremely smart, pragmatic, doesn't run after each and every radical idea. But then the well-crafted and eloquent argument of r46 turned me around, and now I hate Ms. Harris. R 46, how could I be so blind? Thank you for clarifying things for me.

by Anonymousreply 66June 14, 2020 9:49 PM

Thanks a lot, Derek Chauvin.

by Anonymousreply 67June 14, 2020 9:49 PM

No R31. Warren as Sect. of Education. She's the sensible choice for that position.

by Anonymousreply 68June 14, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote] The optics are good. I'll give her that

Maybe for people with amnesia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 14, 2020 9:51 PM

I don't care who Biden picks. I'm voting for him no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 70June 14, 2020 9:51 PM

^Ah... R69. It shows that she can speak truth to power.

by Anonymousreply 71June 14, 2020 9:53 PM

Obama Apologized to Kamala Harris for Saying She's Hot

President Obama called California Attorney General Kamala Harris to say he was sorry for calling her the hottest attorney general in all the land.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 14, 2020 9:55 PM

R34. I agree. They look like they are from central casting, and since they are all qualified, going with the best visual could work.

by Anonymousreply 73June 14, 2020 9:56 PM

IMO, it should have been a southerner or a mid-westerner, but Biden painted himself into a corner with that silly "it has to be a woman" stuff. Kamala doesn't bring anything to his coalition; California is going to vote Democrat no matter who the VP is, and we don't know that black people like her much.

by Anonymousreply 74June 14, 2020 10:00 PM

[quote][R34]. I agree. They look like they are from central casting, and since they are all qualified, going with the best visual could work.

It's a marketer's/Madison Avenue DREAM ticket!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 14, 2020 10:02 PM

[quote]Hills won. It was stolen from her and us. We all know it but we were all lazy and didn't do anything about it. TRUTH

I agree to all of that, but you still had 53% of white women vote for the male candidate who was captured on tape talking about grabbing women by their genitals.

You still had progressives on the left who are always bitching about diversity and inclusion talking about how they weren't going to be forced to vote with their vagina for Clinton.

You had Sanders go to the media this week talking about how he will work with Biden better than Clinton because "he's more likeable"

The playing field for women compared to men in politics is vastly different. A lot of men (and white women) are threatened by a woman in power. It's not right, but it's unfortunately true.

by Anonymousreply 76June 14, 2020 10:07 PM

[quote]Kamala doesn't bring anything to his coalition; California is going to vote Democrat no matter who the VP is, and we don't know that black people like her much.

Sure she does. She further solidifies the Black vote. She further solidifies the Obama legacy--they're all friends. She'll bring in more of the minority vote ie Asians, Latino, Indian, etc.

As far as Black folk? The mission is to GET RID OF TRUMP and his enablers.

by Anonymousreply 77June 14, 2020 10:08 PM

Kamala isn't that the name of a wrestler from the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 78June 14, 2020 10:13 PM

R77. I take your point. Once Obama starts campaigning and joins them on stage excitement will grow quickly.

by Anonymousreply 79June 14, 2020 10:16 PM

I want Stacey because how great would it be when Biden dies and she takes over!

by Anonymousreply 80June 14, 2020 10:19 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't find that great. I would find Kamala great, as POTUS or VPOTUS. But in the end: I vote for every ticket that runs against Trump. No matter who Biden picks. They get my vote. He could pick Cookie Monster, and I'd vote for them.

by Anonymousreply 81June 14, 2020 10:23 PM

[quote]I want Stacey because how great would it be when Biden dies and she takes over!

Stacey is out of the running. She even knows this now.

by Anonymousreply 82June 14, 2020 10:28 PM

R46 is that white woman who supported Liz and spit in the African American's face. And I thought Bernie had all the nutjobs.

by Anonymousreply 83June 14, 2020 10:28 PM

She's fine. Sufficient experience and smarts. POC.

by Anonymousreply 84June 14, 2020 11:11 PM

Jill Biden has not forgotten or forgiven the "That little girl was me" incident and Dr. Jill is pulling the strings in Joe's campaign for POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 85June 14, 2020 11:55 PM

Everyone who loves endless war, who enjoys watching the rich get richer and is a masochist should be very happy with this choice. She'll happily carry on all the usual political policies that are killing the environment and main street Americans.

by Anonymousreply 86June 15, 2020 12:07 AM

R54 Agreed, it should be Pete.

by Anonymousreply 87June 15, 2020 12:07 AM

R87 Agree also. Pete has the super brain.

by Anonymousreply 88June 15, 2020 12:15 AM

She’s a woman of color but her prosecutorial background will make her good for swing states.

I still remember the chaos in her own campaign though so I hope Biden doesn’t think he’s inheriting a decent campaigning org if he chooses her.

by Anonymousreply 89June 15, 2020 12:16 AM

Here’s an article about it. They don’t really blame her except in a sort of “the buck stops here” sort of way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 15, 2020 12:18 AM

Her first order of business in office will be a full pardon for Jussie.

by Anonymousreply 91June 15, 2020 12:21 AM

[quote]I still remember the chaos in her own campaign though so I hope Biden doesn’t think he’s inheriting a decent campaigning org if he chooses her.

She had an awful campaign team, but her biggest flaw was misreading the Democratic electorate. Most of the candidates thought they had to kiss Bernie's ass to get ahead, so they adopted his left-wing positions, even though they really didn't believe in them. Kamala was never for Medicare4All, but she thought she had to be in order to get the nomination. She was not being her authentic self and it through her game off.

Now she can be who she really is and I think she'll blossom.

by Anonymousreply 92June 15, 2020 1:00 AM

queen

by Anonymousreply 93June 15, 2020 1:04 AM

The CBS This Morning clip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 15, 2020 1:06 AM

Women hate voting for other women, especially if they're pretty and successful.

by Anonymousreply 95June 15, 2020 1:07 AM

Kamala was always a strong choice, and she's been making smart moves since her campaign.

She is a terrific speaker. Her kickoff speech was so good she got a big surge in the polls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 15, 2020 1:18 AM

Warren was going to have a transgender child vet the Sec of Education. Damn, I was looking forward to that!

by Anonymousreply 97June 15, 2020 1:19 AM

[quote]Warren was going to have a transgender child vet the Sec of Education. I would have voted for her. But not having the secretary of education also being blind an deaf made her un-electable for me.

by Anonymousreply 98June 15, 2020 1:24 AM

Oh dear Jesus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 15, 2020 1:24 AM

Kamala is pretty and "nice," the most important bullshit most Americas want a woman to be. Unlike Sara Palin, she's also sane. I say this is a win-win, IF TRUE.

by Anonymousreply 100June 15, 2020 1:24 AM

She's amazing! The Repigs are afraid of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 15, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote] her prosecutorial background will make her good for swing states.

Lol. You mean her prosecutorial background that's disavowed and apologized for?

by Anonymousreply 102June 15, 2020 1:44 AM

Good. She’ll serve up Pence on a platter during the debate.

by Anonymousreply 103June 15, 2020 1:59 AM

Oh dear! Mikey will be a cranky boy if it’s true.

by Anonymousreply 104June 15, 2020 2:02 AM

[quote]Warren was going to have a transgender child vet the Sec of Education. Damn, I was looking forward to that!

And Beto promised that Trans Women of Color would be writing many of his policies.

And Castro wanted to make transgender abortion access a top priority.

Thank God that Biden and Kamala mostly stayed away from this lunacy.

by Anonymousreply 105June 15, 2020 2:27 AM

The media never seemed overly invested in covering Harris's campaign -- unless they were writing hit pieces. The BBros started hammering away at her on social media before she even announced; not only did they manage to set the "cop" narrative in stone, they were the source of some insanely misogynist and racist hashtags. It was nuts.

In real life, Harris had a sturdy liberal reform record in California, she has an excellent, effective voting record in Washington (unlike some senators, cough), and she's personable and a great public speaker. There's no downside here imho.

I like her. I hope she's the VP pick. But Biden's campaign periodically does weird, dumbass things, so who knows?

by Anonymousreply 106June 15, 2020 4:03 AM

[quote] There's no downside here imho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 15, 2020 8:26 PM

I will NEVER vote for this CUNT

by Anonymousreply 108June 15, 2020 8:58 PM

R108 good, don’t.

by Anonymousreply 109June 15, 2020 8:59 PM

Over my dead body.

by Anonymousreply 110June 15, 2020 9:04 PM

R95 = delusional. Where are you getting this?

I always vote for the woman candidate if it's a choice between equals.

by Anonymousreply 111June 15, 2020 9:12 PM

Lots of trolls in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 112June 15, 2020 9:14 PM

R111, these bois watch a lot of what's left of daytime soap operas.

by Anonymousreply 113June 16, 2020 2:30 AM

WHOEVER THE FUCK IT IS IT IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER FOUR YEARS OF TRUMP!

I don't like her, but I am voting for her is she's on the ticket. Another four years of Trump/Pence and they'll be hunting queers for sport.

by Anonymousreply 114June 16, 2020 2:34 AM

She's a better choice than Warren. I started off hating her and actually warmed up to her near the point when she dropped out. That's an important and increasingly rare trait in a politician- the ability to win people over.

That and the more you see and hear her talk the more you trust her- not at all true with Biden. I'm sad she'll be made to apologize for her record as D.A., it's actually pretty stellar, but progressives have gone full Animal Farm.

by Anonymousreply 115June 16, 2020 2:34 AM

I want to see the sex tapes she starred in at Willie Brown's swinger parties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116June 16, 2020 2:56 AM

You mean I posed in this fab cape for nothing????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 16, 2020 3:02 AM

[quote] I'm sad she'll be made to apologize for her record as D.A., it's actually pretty stellar, but progressives have gone full Animal Farm.

Exacto.

by Anonymousreply 118June 16, 2020 12:47 PM

[quote]Kamala isn't that the name of a wrestler from the 80s?

The cannibal, Kamala, the Ugandan giant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 16, 2020 1:23 PM

R115 I agree but time for the Dems to grow some brass balls and NOT apologize for anything, finally! You think the Repugs would apologize if in the same situation? They wouldn't. They'd flip us the bird and we'd move on.

Dems need to get angry and start acting like they are fed up, and give a big "FU!" to those who would dare ask them to apologize for anything. The country continues to descend into the shitter and now is the time to take our country back!

Biden/Harris 2020... Harris/Buttigieg 2024/2028

by Anonymousreply 120June 16, 2020 2:48 PM

It should be very concerning that Democrats are endorsing Eliot Engel over Jamaal Bowman for the House. Engel, who was just captured on mic saying that he only took interest in BLM because he had a primary coming up. And yet Pelosi, and even Hillary Clinton are endorsing him over the black candidate.

I mean, WTF are they thinking? At least Warren endorsed Bowman.

by Anonymousreply 121June 16, 2020 3:00 PM

[quote][R115] I agree but time for the Dems to grow some brass balls and NOT apologize for anything, finally! You think the Repugs would apologize if in the same situation? They wouldn't. They'd flip us the bird and we'd move on.

EXACTLY! Democrats are too nice and Republicans definitely use that Achilles' heel to their advantage. But, Democrats also cave to even the slightest pressure from some special interest groups ie BernieBros. Those good-for-nothings couldn't even vote for their own guy and yet they feel that they can control the agenda? However, the worst was Hillary Clinton and I believe it was Black Lives Matter who gave her A LOT of heat about that infamous crime bill. Now, while that is a serious issue, Hillary took heat unnecessarily and it cost her. Why she never turned to them and said; "Shit! I was the FLOTUS. I had nothing to do with that. I empathize with you." That would have shut them up.

Democrats have got to learn how to fight nasty with nasty!

by Anonymousreply 122June 16, 2020 3:14 PM

She shouldn't outright apologize. What she should do is say "I'm proud of my record as a DA, but there is no doubt we need reforms within the justice system and as VP, that would be my focus. We need to stop fighting among ourselves and LISTEN to each other. Burning bridges and yelling is not the way to heal. "

by Anonymousreply 123June 16, 2020 4:08 PM

I want Kamala, and then when Biden eventually exits, she can choose Kennedy 3rd or Buttigieg for VP. <3 <3

by Anonymousreply 124June 16, 2020 4:11 PM

Willie Brown is so gross. She has very poor judgment for fucking him.

by Anonymousreply 125June 16, 2020 11:02 PM

There are photos online of Kamala and Willie where she's showing major boobage.

Cannot post links, or I would.

by Anonymousreply 126June 17, 2020 5:23 AM

Wow - and there are photos online of Donald Trump feeling up his own daughter, R126. What's your point?

by Anonymousreply 127June 17, 2020 5:24 AM

R125, why do you consider Willie Brown "gross"?

by Anonymousreply 128June 17, 2020 11:51 AM

Don't forget Kamala's husband is white.

by Anonymousreply 129June 17, 2020 12:14 PM

[quote] Willie Brown is so gross. She has very poor judgment for fucking him.

This is partly why she polls poorly with Blacks.

by Anonymousreply 130June 17, 2020 12:25 PM

This will only work in his favor. Again, nobody REALLY gives a shit about the VP nominee. Either you want Trump for another 4 years OR you don't. THAT'S what it comes down to. Why are people prattling on like it's more than that?

by Anonymousreply 131June 17, 2020 12:31 PM

R131, If elected, Biden will never sustain a four year term, so his VP choice is very important.

by Anonymousreply 132June 17, 2020 3:00 PM

Actually, we don’t know that, r132. Contrary to Rethug propaganda, Biden is in pretty good health, certainly better than the idiot now occupying the WH.

by Anonymousreply 133June 17, 2020 3:10 PM

Agree with R9. It *has* to be a woman of color.

by Anonymousreply 134June 17, 2020 3:33 PM

[quote]Agree with [R9]. It *has* to be a woman of color.

My vote goes to Smurfette.

by Anonymousreply 135June 17, 2020 3:41 PM

R133, Delusional much?

"A three-page letter from Biden’s physician concluded the former vice president is a “healthy, vigorous, 77-year-old” that is fit to be president. But the letter also revealed Biden receives treatment for an irregular heartbeat and high cholesterol and that he deals with acid reflux and seasonal allergies. It noted his already known history of aneurysms and that he took blood thinners.

The report doesn’t mention an MRI despite the fact that Biden had two brain aneurysms in 1988, the first of which almost killed him. Earlier this year, the Washington Examiner interviewed Biden’s former surgeon, who vouched the 2020 front-runner was in the clear.

But the latest health information doesn’t mention details of any checkups that likely occurred to screen for future issues. The report also included mention of surgeries that hadn’t been previously disclosed, including one for an enlarged prostate. Previously, the public only knew Biden had received treatment for the disorder.

“Biden’s not a healthy guy,” Dr. David Scheiner, who was Obama's personal physician for 22 years before he became president, concluded after reading the records. “He’s not in bad shape for his age, but I wouldn't say he’s in outstanding health. Could I guarantee he won't have issues for the next four years? He has a lot of issues that are just sort of sitting there.”

by Anonymousreply 136June 17, 2020 3:45 PM

^But, let's all remember that Trump is the beacon of fitness and health!

by Anonymousreply 137June 17, 2020 3:48 PM

It seems like you really want Biden to die, r136.

by Anonymousreply 138June 17, 2020 3:50 PM

R138, Que sera, sera . . .

by Anonymousreply 139June 17, 2020 3:53 PM

[quote]”Biden’s not a healthy guy,” Dr. David Scheiner, who was Obama's personal physician for 22 years before he became president,

Actually, R136, his health history seems very reasonable for a 77 year old male. Hyperlipdemia, GERD, and an irregular heartbeat (probably A-fib) seem to be his only chronic problems.

by Anonymousreply 140June 17, 2020 3:53 PM

R136, who’s the delusional one? His physician said he was a “healthy, vigorous, 77-year-old”. You’re the one making judgments about the other stuff he has and bringing in comments from someone who probably never examined him. The aneurysms were over 30 years ago, and he hasn’t had an issue since. And are you really citing an enlarged prostate as an issue? Seasonal allergies? Half the men in the US probably have one.

It looks like whatever you’re quoting from is a right-wing website trying to make a story out of nothing. We aren’t fooled.

by Anonymousreply 141June 17, 2020 3:59 PM

At least he doesn’t have bone spurs.

by Anonymousreply 142June 17, 2020 4:03 PM

R141, You fool. Biden’s a blubbering mess.

Surgeons have cut into his brain twice.

Everyone knows there are repercussions after brain surgery.

by Anonymousreply 143June 17, 2020 4:41 PM

September 5, 2019 Wednesday night during a town hall event on CNN, former Vice President Joe Biden appeared to suffer a broken blood vessel in his left eye, causing it to appear red and bloody.

When a brain aneurysm ruptures, the bleeding usually lasts only a few seconds. The blood can cause direct damage to surrounding cells, and the bleeding can damage or kill other cells. It also increases pressure inside the skull.

If the pressure becomes too elevated, the blood and oxygen supply to the brain may be disrupted to the point that loss of consciousness or even death may occur.

Complications that can develop after the rupture of an aneurysm include:

Re-bleeding. An aneurysm that has ruptured or leaked is at risk of bleeding again. Re-bleeding can cause further damage to brain cells.

Vasospasm. After a brain aneurysm ruptures, blood vessels in your brain may narrow erratically

(vasospasm). This condition can limit blood flow to brain cells (ischemic stroke) and cause additional cell damage and loss.

Hydrocephalus. When an aneurysm rupture results in bleeding in the space between the brain and surrounding tissue (subarachnoid hemorrhage) — most often the case — the blood can block circulation of the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord (cerebrospinal fluid). This condition can result in an excess of cerebrospinal fluid that increases pressure on the brain and can damage tissues (hydrocephalus).

Hyponatremia. Subarachnoid hemorrhage from a ruptured brain aneurysm can disrupt the balance of sodium in the blood. This may occur from damage to the hypothalamus, an area near the base of the brain.

A drop in blood-sodium levels (hyponatremia) can lead to swelling of brain cells and permanent damage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144June 17, 2020 4:59 PM

Joe Biden = damaged beyond repair.

by Anonymousreply 145June 17, 2020 5:03 PM

[quote] Again, nobody REALLY gives a shit about the VP nominee

You keep posting this. This VP has the most important job out of any VP in recent memory. She's going to have to step in much sooner than the others. We could possibly be talking about two years of the first term even. So yeah it is a big deal, whether you like it or not.

Biden is viewed as a means to an end at this point. He's overall lackluster but competent enough to get in. It's the VP and other members of the administration that people are focusing on, because they will be the leaders of the future. That's who we should be paying attention to.

by Anonymousreply 146June 17, 2020 5:09 PM

R144, those are complications that occur in the period immediately following an aneurysm rupture. Not 32 years later. Please get a clue.

by Anonymousreply 147June 17, 2020 5:12 PM

R143 and r145. Again that happened MORE THAN THIRTY YEARS AGO. And he managed to be voted in TWICE as VP, not to manage having a stellar Senate career. I guess even with a few brain cells gone, he’s got more brains than most, especially you. Either you’re a Trumpster or a bitter Bernie bot. And boy, you’re yapping a lot considering Bernies heart problems.

I have r144 blocked, but I’m sure he’s got additional idiotic comments to prove his point.

by Anonymousreply 148June 17, 2020 5:28 PM

R144, are you insane? If Biden had a ruptured aneurysm that day, he wouldn’t be here, let alone be running for President. I have you blocked for a reason, for sure. Go to Breitbart.com, they’ll love your batty conspiracy theories there. DL doesn’t want you.

by Anonymousreply 149June 17, 2020 5:32 PM

". . . a stellar Senate career"

LOL . . . Oh, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 150June 17, 2020 6:19 PM

This thread could not be more moot.

Donald Trump WILL be reelected.

by Anonymousreply 151June 17, 2020 7:58 PM

R150, Anita Hill aside, yes, stellar. And r151? Just keep thinking that if it makes you feel better. The rest of us who are not in la la land know better.

by Anonymousreply 152June 17, 2020 9:53 PM

R152, Sorry to disappoint, but Joe and Jill Biden will never see the inside of the White House again.

by Anonymousreply 153June 17, 2020 10:42 PM

In 2006, in its Technology Issues Voter's Guide, CNET.com gave Biden a score of 37.5% on his Senate voting record.

by Anonymousreply 154June 17, 2020 10:48 PM

R154, and yet he went on to be elected Vice-President TWICE after that.

by Anonymousreply 155June 17, 2020 10:52 PM

R155, Sweetie, no one votes for VP. In 2008 and 2012 they were voting for Obama, not the resurrected from the ash pile Biden.

In 2020, the Democratic VP choice will be unusually important only because everyone in the USA, except you, is fully aware that Joe Biden is living on borrowed time.

by Anonymousreply 156June 17, 2020 11:15 PM

Trolls be trollin’... isn’t it vodka time in Moscow? Oh wait, it’s always vodka time for our DL trolls.

by Anonymousreply 157June 17, 2020 11:20 PM

Troll spring cleaning—I blocked r156 and wiped out a ton of Bernie bro crap threads.

by Anonymousreply 158June 17, 2020 11:21 PM

R158, Ignorance is bliss?

by Anonymousreply 159June 17, 2020 11:25 PM

Kamaltoe and Stephen Colbert are fucking, aren't they? She's on his show AGAIN (tonight, Wednesday, 6/17) for what HAS to be the 15th or 20th time since she announced her wildly-successful presidential bid.

by Anonymousreply 160June 18, 2020 4:00 AM

If I may speak on behalf of some of you: Joe Biden could drop dead on election day before a single vote is cast and still be more qualified, more lucid and have more brain function than Trump.

Biden being sick in any way is of no concern because even if the oval office sits EMPTY, it would be more qualified than Trump. I would sooner vote for "Empty Oval Office" than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 161June 18, 2020 4:08 AM

R161, I would be ashamed and embarrassed to post such a childish comment.

What are you, 12?

by Anonymousreply 162June 18, 2020 7:44 AM

[quote]You keep posting this. This VP has the most important job out of any VP in recent memory. She's going to have to step in much sooner than the others. We could possibly be talking about two years of the first term even. So yeah it is a big deal, whether you like it or not.

And you keep posting THIS shit. You don’t ANYTHING about Biden’s medical history so I’m not sure why you’re assuming Harris would have to step in after two years into his term. GTFOH

by Anonymousreply 163June 18, 2020 9:39 AM

R162, you're a Trump supporter. You're incapable of shame and embarrassment and if you think I have the mentality of a 12 year old, because I've stated clearly how incompetent Trump is that a corpse or an empty chair are more qualified (funny, i thought you guys loved that bit with empty chairs), then that means you'd obviously vote for someone like me as you've already proven you would vote for someone incredibly embarrassing and shameful.

You're all over this thread being an idiot, so your every utterance is garbage.

by Anonymousreply 164June 18, 2020 11:28 AM

Silly homosexuals.

Biden is going to wait until the convention in August to name a nominee.

His decision will largely rest on what's happening in the US at the time.

Are BLM/police/antiracism protests still front and center of the news cycle?

Or has the economy begun to tank again due to Covid closures/large numbers of people getting sick/stimulus money running out, and those stories are dominating the national psyche.

It would be foolish for him to pick a VP now or to do anything but remain in the background while Trump's string of fuck ups continue to dominate the news cycle and help sink his candidacy.

The two and a half months from the convention till the election will be plenty of time for Biden and his VP to get out the vote.

by Anonymousreply 165June 18, 2020 11:36 AM

R165, The insane "Defund the Police" movement is unquestionably the fuck up of the 2020 campaign for POTUS.

It is strictly a Democratic endorsed movement that will prove to be the ultimate gift to the Trump campaign and ensure his reelection in November.

You couldn't bring him down with the phony Russia accusations, you couldn't remove him from office with a ridiculous and time wasting impeachment and you won't defeat him by blaming him for the media overblown virus, temporarily injured economy or agitator provoked protests.

by Anonymousreply 166June 18, 2020 11:59 AM

So glad he picked a sistah.

by Anonymousreply 167June 18, 2020 12:19 PM

“Silly homosexuals,” r165? What the hell are you doing on DL? Do you even know where you are?

by Anonymousreply 168June 18, 2020 1:15 PM

Harris is great, but a VP from a state he's all but guaranteed to win vs. someone like Val Demmings who could bring Florida over the finish line might not be the best idea. I'm not endorsing Demmings over Harris, but are they even thinking about the electoral map? And I think Abrams's time has come and gone.

by Anonymousreply 169June 18, 2020 1:22 PM

R162 is a well-known Dumpster. He likes to insult people who don’t like Dump. Block, block, block.

by Anonymousreply 170June 18, 2020 1:32 PM

The Daily (NYT podcast) had an episode about the VP pick today that laid out the options. You don't need to be a subscriber to listen to it.

TL;DL : He's not picking Stacey Abrams or Amy K, Val Demmings is good for her police background, Kamala for her DA background, if the economy is the big issue, Liz Warren is key but may be too old, plan B would be Gretchen Whitmer or Michele Grisham.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171June 18, 2020 4:04 PM

I'm reposting this here from the other thread. "Think about this. Biden needs Michigan, PA, and Wisconsin. He can't afford to lose Minnesota, and while I don't think there's any danger of it, it may be closer than it needs to be. Who ever he chooses, there is going to be a deficit. The people he needs in those states may turn their back on him if he chooses someone too Progressive...and Black. The Black voters will lose enthusiasm and stay home if he picks someone they don't like. So whoever he chooses he will have to make up the deficit...offset what he loses with what he gains. That's the only way to look at his choices.

by Anonymousreply 172June 18, 2020 4:13 PM

Personally - I couldn't give a fuck who is the VP as long as they win and get rid of Trump. I would vote for a rabid squirrel if it got rid of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 173June 18, 2020 4:17 PM

I think he also needs a dynamic campaigner to take up some of the slack on him, because he's not the youngest, most energetic candidate in the world.

Neither is Trump but he has the moronbots mesmerized with his snake oil salesman, racist shit.

by Anonymousreply 174June 18, 2020 8:51 PM

He needs Obama helping out in strategic areas - and in some, Michelle might be even better.

by Anonymousreply 175June 18, 2020 8:52 PM

Listen, people. If you haven't figured it out yet, this will be Obama's Third Term. Just like Bush was the third Reagan term because on his own Bush wasn't all that, but he got elected mainly because people wanted to hold on a bit longer to Mr Affability. We have been so traumatized by The Orange Shitgibbon, that we need OBama's stability, his class his calm, and his intelligence. We need hism and Uncle Joe. So yeah, Obama will be out there along with Michelle campaigning theirasses off. And when Uncle Joe gets to the White House we will have all the competency and intelligence and wonderfulness and the Hopey Changey thing and YES!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 176June 18, 2020 9:24 PM

Kamala was on MSNBC tonight and she looked "refreshed." I think she's been to the doctor recently to keep her Botox injections up to date. She looked 3-5 years younger.

by Anonymousreply 177June 19, 2020 2:09 AM

R177, On a split screen with Joy Reid, anyone would look "refreshed".

by Anonymousreply 178June 19, 2020 2:45 AM

I hope Joe can attract the voters he needs to win this damned thing. I do not trust these polls. And Trump's strategy was to push Biden or whoever the Dems nominated further to the left. The Trump strategy always included racial disturbances too. They planned on Race being an issue and if possible riots, violence etc. The shit in Minneapolis was infiltrated so fast, and so were other cities, that they had always planned this but the pandemic sort of postponed things. I'm saying they planned to incite violence, and when they had the chance saw te opportunity, they were on it.

by Anonymousreply 179June 19, 2020 3:40 AM

So, Klobuchar drops out. She was never really in it anyway. But, does she give a clue when she says that Biden should pick a wpman of color? That would dismiss Warren who was probably out of it because of her age. I don't think Val Demmings--even though she has bought herself some much better hair...

I think it's Kamala

This works y'all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180June 19, 2020 3:42 AM

[quote]It's a marketer's/Madison Avenue DREAM ticket!

This looks like a team

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181June 19, 2020 3:55 AM

I am hoping that K's campaign staff of ex-Hillary workers are the reason she came off so badly last year by trying to make her something she was not.

Any Californians weigh in on that?

Is she less stiff?

by Anonymousreply 182June 19, 2020 5:14 AM

If it is Kamala, she will be as successful as Geraldine Ferraro and Sarah Palin.

by Anonymousreply 183June 19, 2020 7:51 AM

Ha ha! Did Amy really say Biden should choose a woman of color? One kick to the ass (or binder throw) to poor old Liz on her way out. That's out mean Minnesota Karen!

by Anonymousreply 184June 19, 2020 8:42 AM

* that's OUR mean girl...

by Anonymousreply 185June 19, 2020 8:43 AM

It's funny when posters like R166 run down the list of "failed" attempts at getting Trump out of office without acknowledging the rigged trial, the 8 Trump associates who were sentenced as a result of the Russian investigation and the fact that they didn't bother looking for incriminating evidence against Trump because he couldn't be prosecuted--even tho Mueller practically winked at the camera at the end of his press conference.

by Anonymousreply 186June 19, 2020 9:52 AM

Yes, r166 is a failed troll who’s been infesting the Trump Biden threads the past few days. I’ve blocked it, so it’s screaming into the void as far as I’m concerned.

by Anonymousreply 187June 19, 2020 10:52 AM

Well Kamala just served Cronyn of Texas. He bemoaned the fact that the Democrats were opposed to public negotiations about the Police Reforms legislation she & Booker introduced, and pointed out that he sits on Judiciary with her, and their hearings are public...but there are no public hearings in committee because McConnell wants to vote insuring it fails. I love KAmala. Because she does it so well. No heat or hostility. Just complete humiliation.

by Anonymousreply 188June 24, 2020 2:19 PM

Stacey or Kamala are cool with me. If I honestly had to choose between the two, I would be leaning more towards Stacey, but Kamala has more recognition right now. It's a bit too late in the game right now to introduce new political figures that the nation as a whole isn't very familiar with. I also like Whitmer a lot as well based on what I've learned about her in a relatively short time. She seems straight forward, level headed, and direct, without all the theatrics and name calling.

by Anonymousreply 189June 24, 2020 3:58 PM

I can’t see Americans voting for a totally unknown quality black woman in 2024, R189. Being somebody’s VP with no name recognition of your own isn’t particularly reassuring.

Especially after Trump, who had no voting record, and thus was able to fool the gullible who took him at his word on everything. There’s going to be a backlash because of that, next time.

by Anonymousreply 190June 24, 2020 4:45 PM

R189, Not to be cruel, but cosmetically speaking, Kamala is a better choice.

by Anonymousreply 191June 24, 2020 5:17 PM

What did you guys think of her performance on Colbert?

by Anonymousreply 192June 24, 2020 5:18 PM

R189, that's like saying "Human Ken Doll" is a better candidate.

by Anonymousreply 193June 24, 2020 5:28 PM

I do believe it's going to be important for Biden to have someone with some name recognition on the ticket. Now if she's a governor or a mayor or a Congresswoman, I hope she has the personality to become our new BFF really fast. But as smart as she is, I think Stacey Abrams is too overbearing. She has a very strong personality and I hate to say it but she doesn't present very effectively. Her physical appearance gets in her way. I've said it before. She should have run for the Senate in Georgia.She needs her own platform to speak up and speak out. I hope Whitmer stays in Michigan. She's very effective. We need Michigan and it is very precarious. There are plenty of extremist Republicans in the state to give us problems.

by Anonymousreply 194June 25, 2020 11:03 AM

People close to Biden's VP search say these are four of the leading prospects

Nation's reckoning on race looms large over final month of Biden's running mate search

By Jeff Zeleny, Dan Merica and MJ Lee, CNN

Updated 9:25 AM ET, Fri June 26, 2020

(CNN)Joe Biden is entering the final month of his search for a running mate, a decision people close to the process say is now heavily influenced by a national reckoning on racism, as his search committee pores over records and conducts interviews before presenting a list of finalists to the former vice president.

The search is being conducted under strict secrecy, with most campaign aides, donors and even many longtime Biden friends intentionally kept in the dark. Yet CNN spoke to more than a dozen people close to the Biden search process who believe that four of the leading prospects are Sen. Kamala Harris of California, Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Rep. Val Demings of Florida and Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms.

"The whole way that (issues of race) have come to fro is having a real, serious impact on the search," said Rep. Jim Clyburn, a top Democrat in the House with deep ties to the Biden campaign. "You can do a search in order to check a box or you can do a search to get a running mate. I think this search is going to be genuine about getting a running mate rather than checking a box."

Separate teams of lawyers assigned to each of the contenders are nearing the closing stages of reviewing three distinct types of records -- written, financial and medical -- in their background checks, according to people involved in the process. Members of the search committee have done extensive interviews with several candidates, the sources tell CNN, but Biden is not likely to sit down with finalists until mid-to-late July, with an announcement expected in early August.

"The colonoscopy of the vetting is now occurring," a Democratic official involved in the process said, speaking on condition of anonymity to adhere to the privacy surrounding the selection.

The search is a dynamic one, though, which has evolved significantly from when it started, and sources caution that it could change again as the vetting intensifies. The goal is to have an array of options for Biden, particularly if an early favorite runs into complications. Former Obama administration national security adviser Susan Rice is being thoroughly vetted, two people familiar with the matter say, as well as Rep. Karen Bass of California, who was strongly recommended to Biden by Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Clyburn confirmed to CNN that Bass "is being vetted."

Sens. Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin and Tammy Duckworth of Illinois are also among a broader tier under consideration, sources say. A campaign aide declined to comment on who the Biden campaign is vetting.

The nationwide protests in response to multiple deaths of Black men and women at the hands of police have altered at least some of the thinking around his search for a running mate, people close to Biden's vetting process tell CNN, leading the committee to prepare for how the former vice president's pick will respond to this moment of social unrest in America.

"In the past month or so, we have seen a real and meaningful change in public opinion on racial issues and policing in a way that impacts the calculus of this," said a Democrat familiar with the process, pointing to recent polling about changes in sentiment around everything from systemic racism to support for the Black Lives Matter movement.

The search committee is "making sure their pick lines up with what they think is going to be the most important message this fall," the source said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195June 26, 2020 5:03 PM

While a considerable share of the vetting has unfolded in plain view, with Biden talking extensively about selecting someone who shares his governing philosophy, teams of lawyers have spent weeks digging into the background of the serious candidates.

The search is officially being led by Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, former Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd, Delaware Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester and former Biden counsel Cynthia Hogan, all of whom have interviewed some of the contenders. Lisa Monaco, a former Homeland Security adviser in the Obama administration, is also playing a key role overseeing the vetting teams.

From scrutinizing cases that Harris prosecuted in California to examining complaints made against Demings as police chief in Orlando, to combing through the op-eds and scholarly writings of Rice and Warren, the teams of lawyers are still learning about the backgrounds of the potential candidates.

The pandemic has changed at least some aspects of the vetting, with much of the research and conversations done virtually, rather than by lawyers taking trips across the country to dig into each chapter in the lives of prospective running mates. But the objective is the same: Searching for anything embarrassing, distracting or that could otherwise cause a problem for Biden, who has said he will choose someone who is ready to be president from day one.

"Every stone is being turned over, just not necessarily in person," a person close to the process said.

Since several of the potential contenders are barely known nationally, the Biden campaign is also conducting focus groups, with speeches and videos of the candidates shown to gauge voter reaction. This is typical of recent vice presidential searches, but advisers say the research could carry more importance this year because of the unique dynamics of this search.

The objective of Biden has not changed, several people close to him say, even though the political landscape has been dramatically altered by protests against racism, injustice and police brutality. Three months ago, Biden announced that he would choose a woman as his running mate, but the finalists are now nearly all women of color, with the exception of Warren, sources say.

But the impact of this moment has been felt during the search, most notably in Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar's decision to bow out of the race after her stock had precipitously fallen after weeks of negative publicity about her interaction with police during her tenure as the top prosecutor in the state's largest county.

"This is a historic moment, and America must seize on this moment," Klobuchar said in making the announcement that she was taking herself out of consideration. "And I truly believe as, I actually told the vice president last night when I called him, that I think this is a moment to put a woman of color on that ticket."

That's a case that many Democratic leaders have made forcefully -- and publicly -- and one that Democrats close to the process say is being heard by the search committee. Black voters also played a critical role in Biden's primary victory, a point that is not lost on his campaign.

"The environment has become so racially charged," said a Democratic with direct knowledge of the process, "that the pressure to pick a woman of color has gone up significantly."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196June 26, 2020 5:09 PM

And some top Democrats believe that pressure could move up Biden's timeline on selecting a running mate. The former vice president has said repeatedly that he wants to make the decision around August 1, but some Democrats believe that both the protests roiling the country and the pressure on Biden to pick a Black woman could lead Biden to move up that date.

"As the national momentum in support of a Black woman VP candidate continues to intensify, so does the pressure for Vice President Biden to announce his decision sooner rather than later," said Karen Finney, who worked as a senior aide to Sen. Tim Kaine when he was Hillary Clinton's running mate in 2016.

Biden has told several people that his criteria still includes, but is not limited to, someone who has run for office and been tested on the national stage as well as someone he believes can be a strong governing partner. Those traits remain critical, which leads more than a dozen people close to Biden to tell CNN they believe Harris is the leading choice going into the critical final month.

"He needs someone he can trust who is the best governing partner," a longtime Biden ally tells CNN. "That has not changed." It was 12 years ago this summer when Obama chose Biden to join his ticket. The two were not particularly close, but Obama told aides at the time that Biden's experience and the fact that he was tested on the national stage was essential. Today, that same sentiment informs Biden's thinking, several people close to him believe.

In this search, people close to both men say, Obama serves as more of a sounding board and counselor to Biden, rather than someone who would try and tip the scales toward one candidate. The two men speak regularly about the political moment facing the country, the sources say, but they have not had an in-depth conversation about finalists being considered by Biden.

Obama was once a strong proponent of Warren, largely because of her big ideas to revive the economy and address income inequality. But people close to him acknowledge it is impossible to separate the vice presidential search with events of the last month in the country.

And while the Biden committee has been working in secret for weeks, two of the most influential people in the selection process -- Bob Bauer, Biden's personal lawyer who is leading the vetting team, and Anita Dunn, a senior Biden campaign official -- were part of a report in 2016 for the Bipartisan Policy Center that laid out the best ways to conduct the vice presidential search process.

The report said that while background checks and advice from inside and outside the campaign are all important, "the most important consideration is for the presidential nominee to know or get to know the vice presidential candidates personally." It recommended the nominee try to spend several days with each of the potential candidates.

But that could prove to be difficult for Biden in the coming weeks. The campaign has drastically reduced in-person events amid the coronavirus pandemic, with fundraisers being held virtually and all events limited in scope to adhere to public health guidelines. Biden has sought other ways of testing out his political chemistry with the women on his shortlist, including appearing with them in joint video conference events or TV interviews.

Biden allies have consistently said that personal comfort will be a major factor for the former vice president, who openly speaks about his close friendship that developed during eight years serving alongside Obama.

The final decision is also expected to be kept tightly guarded before the announcement from the campaign, a strategy that Bauer and Dunn outlined in the 2016 report, saying: "The notification of selection should be made to the vice presidential nominee in advance of the public announcement, but with notice of only a day or two."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197June 26, 2020 5:12 PM

[quote] Donald Trump WILL be reelected.

This was a bizarre assertion last week, but nine days later, and it looks simply delusional.

Harris would appear to be the most reasonable choice. She’s smart, tough, was the AG of California, and has served in the US Senate. She and Biden appear to have a decent rapport — the “I was that little black girl” comment notwithstanding.

The notion that because the black community didn’t fall in love with her doesn’t mean that if she is the VP nominee the members of the black community won’t vote for Biden. They will. They might grumble about it at first, but everyone knows the stakes are too high to quibble about this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198June 26, 2020 6:06 PM

I really think that it will be Kamala. To me, she and Warren have the same level of energy and want to get things done. But, Warren is out (IMHO) because of her age. Keisha Bottoms isn't in this. She's there to throw people off of the trail. Besides, she has her hands full with Atlanta. Val Demmings is 63, (Kamala is 55), and I think the age factor weighs in there again. It's a shame that a woman's age is even factored in this equation. But, it is also a shame that this country has gone this long without a woman holding holding one of the two major offices of this nation.

by Anonymousreply 199June 26, 2020 7:57 PM

100% box checking

by Anonymousreply 200June 26, 2020 8:04 PM

Kamala did not help her chances by appearing on Andy Cohen's show last evening.

by Anonymousreply 201June 26, 2020 8:27 PM

Transgender Hollywood star Laverne Cox and Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) pushed for the defunding of the police in a joint appearance Thursday on Watch What Happens Live, during which Sen. Harris said that putting more cops on the streets is “just wrong.”

Laverne Cox expressed her enthusiasm about the Defund the Police movement in the virtual conversation. “The fact that there’s a national conversation about defunding the police, I think is remarkable. And that people of all races are having that conversation is really exciting to me.”

Laverne might wind up the VP after this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202June 26, 2020 11:54 PM

The three women who should be at the top of Biden's VP list

Opinion by Robert Alexander and David B. Cohen

Updated 2:27 AM ET, Sat June 27, 2020

This is Joe Biden's best path to win in 2020

Robert Alexander is a professor of political science and founding director of the Institute for Civics and Public Policy at Ohio Northern University. He is also the author of "Representation and the Electoral College." Follow him on Twitter: @onuprof. David B. Cohen is a professor of political science and assistant director of the Ray C. Bliss Institute of Applied Politics at The University of Akron. Follow him on Twitter @POTUSProf. The views expressed in this commentary belong to the authors. View more opinion at CNN.

(CNN)The selection of a running mate is among the biggest decisions a presidential candidate will make during their candidacy. The decision is particularly weighty when one realizes that one in five US presidents have not completed their full terms.

At 77 years old, if former Vice President Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, wins the 2020 presidential election, he would be the oldest person ever elected president, surpassing President Donald Trump who set that mark in 2016 at age 70. And Biden has not committed to running for a second term if he were to win in November.

Biden already made history by committing to choose a female running mate. Fortunately for him, there are a number of talented and experienced women who are legitimate contenders for the spot. We believe California Sen. Kamala Harris, Florida Rep. Val Demings and former National Security Adviser Susan Rice should be at the top of Biden's list.

An emerging consensus is that Biden should select a woman of color. University of Virginia Professor Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball ranks all five of Biden's top vice presidential choices as women of color, with Harris, Demings, and Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth leading the way. USA Today's Jill Lawrence argues that Biden should choose either Harris or Demings.

Generally, the most important factor in choosing a running mate is how that choice shapes perceptions of the presidential nominee. Whether they choose a strong vice presidential contender or not says a lot to voters about the type of decision-making they can expect if the candidate wins office. Harris, Demings and Rice are all very accomplished and would be strong voices in opposition to the Trump-Pence ticket.

We concur with 538's Perry Bacon's assessment that choosing a Black woman is an important acknowledgment of both descriptive (how much a candidate looks like the electorate) and symbolic representation (how a candidate exemplifies an idea that resonates with the electorate). Such a choice would likely shore up positive perceptions of Biden among the Democratic base -- a base riled by racial unrest and protests across the country. Failing to do so may dampen turnout among marginal voters that could prove costly in a close contest.

Other factors driving the vice presidential selection process include: counterbalancing, geography and qualifications. Harris, Demings and Rice are able to satisfy all of these criteria.

Counterbalancing has most often worked as a means to balance ideology on a ticket--linking a moderate with a more conservative or liberal candidate and vice versa. More recently candidates have been mindful of other factors such as age, race, gender and religion. Former President Barack Obama's selection of Biden was one means of balancing age, race and experience.

Geography is valued in how a vice-presidential choice can improve the ticket's chances to win those states essential for an Electoral College victory. While research suggests that running mates rarely carry a state for a ticket, it is a calculus all campaigns consider. The selection of Harris, Demings or Rice could boost turnout in important swing state urban areas with large African-American populations such as Charlotte, Cleveland, Detroit, Miami, Milwaukee, Philadelphia and so on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203June 27, 2020 9:17 AM

The qualifications of a nominee are critical given that they are one heartbeat away from becoming president. Voters must have confidence that the running mate is up to the task if the occasion calls for it. Biden's advanced age and lack of commitment about a potential second term makes his selection truly an heir apparent.

Harris, Demings and Rice are all qualified to be president and could assume the job on day one if necessary -- and this is perhaps the most important reason why they should be seriously considered. All have experience at the federal level and each check important boxes relating to a battle with the Trump-Pence ticket.

Harris has shown herself to be particularly impressive in Senate Judiciary Committee confirmation hearings (particularly with Attorney General Bill Barr and Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh). She also competed for the 2020 Democratic Party presidential nomination and ran successfully statewide for both Attorney General and US Senator in California, a state with the fifth largest economy in the world and a population of 40 million.

Although Demings has had a relatively short political career, it is very impressive. She had an important role as an impeachment manager in the Senate trial of Trump and hails from the important swing state of Florida. Demings rose through the ranks to become Chief of the Orlando Police Department before being elected to the US House. Both Harris' and Demings' first-hand experience with the criminal justice system would be beneficial when addressing potential policing reforms in a policy area likely to be a major issue area for the duration of 2020.

While Rice has never held elective office, she has an abundance of high-level policy expertise after having served in both the Bill Clinton and Obama administrations. Her experience as the national security adviser and as ambassador to the United Nations during the entire Obama presidency provide Rice with qualifications at the highest levels of both domestic and international affairs.

The ability of Democrats to turn out voters of color in November is crucial and one of the keys to a Democratic victory. This is especially significant given that around 9 out of 10 African-Americans generally vote for Democrats.

Notably, African-American turnout in 2016 declined for the first time in a generation, dropping nationally by 7 percentage points from 2012 to 2016, according to Pew Research Center. The decrease was especially marked in several critical swing states.

According to an analysis by the Center for American Progress, African-American turnout fell by 19 points in Wisconsin, 10 points in Ohio and 9 points in North Carolina. While less pronounced decreases were evident in Michigan, Florida and Pennsylvania, White turnout actually increased in these critical states. Trump flipped Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida and Pennsylvania from Obama's column to his own, winning each of these states by around 1 percentage point or less of the vote. Less than 80,000 votes (out of more than 13 million votes cast) in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin made the difference between a Trump presidency and a Hillary Clinton presidency. This underscores just how important every single vote was in these critical swing states.

The selection of Harris, Demings or Rice would make a compelling statement during this tumultuous time and serve to provide a balance for Biden. Pairing a woman of color with a 77-year old White man would not only make history, it could also stimulate turnout levels among African-Americans similar to those witnessed in 2008 and 2012 -- something Democrats likely need to have happen to ensure victory in 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204June 27, 2020 9:21 AM

Another "NS, S" moment.

There is no other viable, visible Black woman. She was a legit contender during debate season.

Stacy can ignite. Susan Rice is very bright. Val Demings might incite. Warren is too White.

Kamala is Goldilocks Just Right.

by Anonymousreply 205June 27, 2020 9:28 AM

R205:

Go fly a Kite.

by Anonymousreply 206June 27, 2020 9:32 AM

Susan Rice is damaged goods and could allow a Trump victory, as would Valerie Jarrett.

by Anonymousreply 207June 27, 2020 11:00 AM

I agree about Susan Rice. She’s (right or wrong) a holdover from the Obama presidency without any elected-office experience.

by Anonymousreply 208June 27, 2020 11:37 AM

Val Demings is popular because she was on the Impeachment. Period. Of everyone under consideration she's the weakest. A career cop who moved up through the ranks in a medium sized city in Florida. There is no way in hell she didn't have to deal with issues like corruption, excessive force and wrongful death. If the cops loved her she was doing something wrong. Historically police unions have a very tenuous relationship with the police chief. And in most cities there is corruption in police departments. I am not saying she is personally corrupt.I Am saying local corruption is inevitable and even if she had nothing to do with it, it would taint her. Put it another way. Why aren't they talking about her accomplishments as chief? Why aren't they talking about her educational levels? I say let Val Demings be. Let her continue to serve as a valued member of Congress.

by Anonymousreply 209June 27, 2020 11:50 AM

Amen, R209. I’ve been saying for months that Val Demings’ resume is extremely thin. She was a cop, then the the police chief in Orlando, Florida for three and a half years; she has served for four years in Congress. That’s pretty much it. It is shocking that on the basis of that meager background people are rushing to the conclusion that she is ready to be the President of the United States. Sorry, no. This is all because she did a decent job during the impeachment. Great. She may well be a very nice person and a competent member of Congress, but she is seriously lacking the breadth and depth of experience to step into Biden’s job should anything happen to him. I think it would be a mistake to select her.

by Anonymousreply 210June 27, 2020 12:23 PM

The two ideal black female options for Biden’s VP are Michelle Obama and Condoleezza Rice, but neither wants it.

by Anonymousreply 211June 27, 2020 2:31 PM

OMG, fuck Condoleezza Rice.

Also, the Michelle Obama thing sounds like desperation. I do think it would succeed to draw higher black turnout, though.

by Anonymousreply 212June 27, 2020 2:43 PM

Condelezza Rice is a Republican. I read an interview with her about six months ago and she still espouses Republican policy and is still a strict conservative. She’s not one of those never-Trumpers that have mellowed over the years. You might as well suggest Dick Cheney.

by Anonymousreply 213June 27, 2020 4:04 PM

Susan Rice is not Condoleeza Rice. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 214June 27, 2020 4:09 PM

So long, Joe. Hello, Donald.

by Anonymousreply 215June 27, 2020 4:22 PM

[quote] Condoleeza Rice

Absolutely not. We don’t need a fucking Repuke on the ticket. Completely unnecessary. That would be an error of epic proportions.

by Anonymousreply 216June 27, 2020 4:25 PM

Then two minutes later Biden dies and the Dick Cheney/George W Bush administration is back.

I can only think a Republican suggested that. They can’t get elected in right now, so they want to put a Republican on the Democratic ticket.

by Anonymousreply 217June 27, 2020 4:44 PM

Rice was notorious for giving bad interviews on the Sunday morning political shows during the Obama administration. The White House even yanked her off the air at one point. That's the last thing Biden needs. He needs someone with charisma who can give a good interview.

by Anonymousreply 218June 27, 2020 4:49 PM

Can Warren do another DNA test to see if there's any African American in her?

by Anonymousreply 219June 27, 2020 5:17 PM

She has a history as a prosecutor. Most people don’t understand that public prosecutors are assigned cases. I think she is smart, competent and tough as nails. She’s also honest. Good choice.

by Anonymousreply 220June 27, 2020 5:30 PM

NBC News: Black Democrats are torn between Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren for Biden’s VP.

To some activists, a diverse ticket is paramount. But polls show black Dem voters prefer Warren.

Both have reached an advanced vetting stage, per sources familiar.

by Anonymousreply 221June 27, 2020 5:32 PM

Harris is considered a joke in the Senate. No one takes her seriously. The joke is that you always want to be the last one in her office in the afternoon, because whatever you say will be what she says the next morning. All she cares about is her career and her enormous desire to be president. That's it.

The four word description of her is: "All ambition. No compass."

Biden knows this full well as he is one of the Senate's clubbiest members.

by Anonymousreply 222June 27, 2020 5:35 PM

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

Biden actively pursued someone to be his V.P. in 2016.

I’m guessing that’s still where his heart is.

by Anonymousreply 223June 27, 2020 5:38 PM

Kamala Harris is the Meghan Markle of the United States Senate.

by Anonymousreply 224June 27, 2020 6:19 PM

R222, what kind of crap is that? Biden hasn’t been a member of the Senate since 2008–way before Kamala joined in 2017. Are you hoping beyond hope that Bernie gets the call?

by Anonymousreply 225June 27, 2020 7:10 PM

We in California know about Kamala. As many have ascertained, there are big questions surrounding her.

Why isn’t Sally Yates mentioned more often?

by Anonymousreply 226June 27, 2020 7:28 PM

R225 -- Not being in the Senate doesn't mean that Biden doesn't keep in close touch with his former friends. He was, when he was in the Senate, Mr. Congeniality, both with the right and the left.

by Anonymousreply 227June 27, 2020 9:39 PM

Whoever he picks, you can be sure I'm working on a way to fuck everything up.

by Anonymousreply 228June 27, 2020 10:14 PM

If the DNC wants to push Stacey Abrams so hard, can't they at least pay for a nutritionist and a personal trainer for her? There's no way she doesn't have hypertension and diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 229June 27, 2020 10:17 PM

[quote]Susan Rice is not Condoleeza Rice. Ugh.

Just sharing a name with Republican pig Condoleezza Rice is reason enough to disqualify Susan.

by Anonymousreply 230June 27, 2020 10:27 PM

[quote]But polls show black Dem voters prefer Warren.

Nobody in the Swing States prefers Warren. It's not all about what blacks want.

by Anonymousreply 231June 27, 2020 10:28 PM

[quote]Harris, Demings and Rice are all qualified to be president and could assume the job on day one if necessary

Demings and Rice are in no way qualified to assume the Presidency on day one.

by Anonymousreply 232June 27, 2020 10:31 PM

It can’t be Warren. She’s too old.

Would Biden really abandon us to the Trumpers as early as 2024? No one could possibly clean up this mess in four years, only to have every single thing they did undone immediately after.

Warren cannot beat Nikki Haley. Or Mitt Romney. Or anybody else that appears remotely sane.

by Anonymousreply 233June 27, 2020 11:04 PM

R233 come down off the ledge. Geez. No one is abandoning us to Dump. Elizabeth is great, a true Democrat. She would beat both Mitttens and Fake Nikki. So shut up.

by Anonymousreply 234June 27, 2020 11:07 PM

Elizabeth Warren came in 4th place in the primary of her home state of Massachusetts.

That says a lot.

by Anonymousreply 235June 27, 2020 11:12 PM

She came in 3rd. That's bad enough, considering it was her home state; no need to exaggerate the extent of her defeat.

by Anonymousreply 236June 27, 2020 11:14 PM

Elizabeth Warren reminds too many people of scoldish Hillary, who was also Electoral poison.

by Anonymousreply 237June 27, 2020 11:15 PM

Uncle Joe and Fun Aunt Kamala is the ticket that most people will vote for.

by Anonymousreply 238June 27, 2020 11:17 PM

She's amazing and always was the most qualified and bonafide to be president in the first place. And she will be the first woman president. I'm sure of it. Before Biden's term ends. There's no sense cheering for anyone anymore - that's all been destroyed. But Biden/Harris will win. She's a very impressive candidate at any time. The press and the other Democrats thought to squeeze her out. Now we know more about Pete and Elizabeth and Bloomberg. Yuck. Bernie had a chance but he's too old to die of Covid. Biden does best the less he appears. Kamala only soars with more exposure. Welcome Madame President.

by Anonymousreply 239June 27, 2020 11:49 PM

^Are you kidding? Rice is absolutely prepared to assume the office of POTUS on day one.

by Anonymousreply 240June 28, 2020 12:35 AM

As the Vice President, one of Joe's main tasks was to preside over the Senate, and in fact he maintained close relationships with members of the Senate of both parties. And when you serve in the Senate for more than 30 years as he did, you have established a lot of goodwill. Joe is well thought of, and liked.

The fact that Elizabeth couldn't deliver Massachusetts will count heavily against her. The very least you can do is deliver your own state. I hate to say this because I know you'll fry me, but I really wish Klobuchar didn't have all that baggage of being from Minnesota and being truly tone deaf with no track record of achievement that spoke to the concerns of African American voters. Because I have a feeling she was Joe's first choice for about two seconds. In fact I bet Joe has looked at both Amy and Kamala as his top choices. Then he had his people vet others too for appearances sake. IMO he always knew it would one of those two. And he had the others in reserve or for political reasons. Even if he never intended to choose Abrams, Bottoms, Demings, etc he makes raises their stock.

by Anonymousreply 241June 28, 2020 12:39 AM

I also agree that Amy Klobuchar was his first choice. She is the most ideologically similar to him, she can deliver Midwest swing states, and he respects her many years of service and achievement in the Senate. However, she is too problematic and he knows it. His VP was always going to be either Amy or Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 242June 28, 2020 12:54 AM

[quote] His VP was always going to be either Amy or Kamala.

Yep. I knew it ever since Kamala's "I was that little girl" comment and the way that Joe looked at her. It was a look of; "What are you doing?" IMHO, Obama has his hand in all of this in some way and he has always been partial to Kamala. But, the Obamas, Bidens, and Kamala, are friends and have been for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 243June 28, 2020 1:23 AM

R236, You're correct, it was a 3rd place finish in Massachusetts.

But, she did finish 4th in neighboring state New Hampshire, which was embarrassing.

"Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, hoping to spring back from a third place finish in Iowa caucuses, received less than 10% support in New Hampshire’s primary on Tuesday, a frustrating fourth place finish for a candidate that had once approached national frontrunner status but missed the 15% threshold to pick up delegates here."

by Anonymousreply 244June 28, 2020 2:43 AM

As soon as I discovered Kamala was close to Beau Biden, I realized she had the best shot.

by Anonymousreply 245June 28, 2020 1:19 PM

Was it Kamala who introduced him to dildos?

by Anonymousreply 246June 28, 2020 3:09 PM

First, Susan Rice is more prepared and experienced then any of the other candidates. And Biden and Rice have been close friends and have worked together for years.

Second, If I was Jill Biden I’d tell Joe to stay the fuck away from that two-faced bitch Harris after what she did to him in the debates. He needs to be constantly reminded of that. She’ll throw him under the bus again if she has to.

by Anonymousreply 247June 28, 2020 3:19 PM

What experience does Susan Rice have when it comes to Congress and domestic matters? (and Americans don't give a hit about the rest of the world anyway - most would say bye bye to Nato, UN, WHO, foreign aid, etc. Revelations says they're gonna put numbers on our foreheads or somethin'

by Anonymousreply 248July 2, 2020 2:37 PM

*give a Shit

by Anonymousreply 249July 2, 2020 2:38 PM

Susan Rice = Problematic.

by Anonymousreply 250July 3, 2020 1:27 PM

They're all problematic. The question is, of all, as pick, who is most strategic?

by Anonymousreply 251July 3, 2020 1:41 PM

If I was going with surprise factor, I wouldn't choose Harris. She's gotten too much buzz so there will be little excitement.

But in the end it will be 10% promise to pick a woman + 60% polling/data + 10% gut + 10% views of party leaders he trusts + 10% what Jill Biden thinks.

by Anonymousreply 252July 3, 2020 1:44 PM

I do believe at this point it's down to Elizabeth, Susan Rice, and Kamala. If he chooses Elizabeth he will surely cost us a Senate seat, won't he?

by Anonymousreply 253July 3, 2020 2:08 PM

I would like him to choose either Sally Yates or Val Demings. Then Susan Rice is my third choice. Kamala is a lot and all the stories would be about her implying that he's racist, but she's better than Warren and her bag of nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 254July 3, 2020 2:13 PM

It's not Liz because she has a seat reserved for Sec. of Treasury. It's too obvious that that's gonna happen, IMO. I still am not 100% convinced it'll be Kamala for VP but I'm, like, 80% convinced it will be her.

by Anonymousreply 255July 3, 2020 2:20 PM

I’m not convinced either, though I’d be happy if she was chosen.

I think it could be someone not even publicly in contention, but that’s probably just me wanting it to be Yates.

by Anonymousreply 256July 3, 2020 2:31 PM

I think the thing that hasn't given Kamala the lock is Biden wants someone he's simpatico with... a relationship based on the template of his with Obama. I have read the fear is Kamala's going to showboat too much. Warren has a mission - she'd be hard to contain but she appears more about action than attention. Yates, Deming and Rice don't appear to be attention risks. So Kamala may be the obvious choice but she might not be the best choice. Plus I think it often hurts you to be the front runner.

And... no one on the inside is going to forget I was that little stunt. It might not matter much at this point, but it doesn't not matter a bit. I think she's destined for something - State, the Supremes... but I think it unlikely she gets VP. And frankly she'd be far better off applying her intelligence and talents to State or the Court. She's smart... but she's done nothing to suggest she's particularly visionary. Why pave the way to the presidency for someone who's not particularly distinguished in comparison to most others? (And sorry, Stans, great hair and shoulder pads and good hearing performances aren't actually the kind of distinguished that matters.)

My money is on Rice... the box ticking aside, she knows the executive branch best of any of them.

by Anonymousreply 257July 3, 2020 2:40 PM

Susan Rice served under PResident Clinton. She was on his NAtional Security Staff and worked with state too, I think. She was there for Rwanda and Kosovo. And while she may not have been in a high enough position to make policy, she certain was one of those who made recommendations. So she would have too deal with that mess too.

by Anonymousreply 258July 3, 2020 3:15 PM

Rice knows foreign policy. And that's ALL. She's qualified to handle a pandemic how? And she understands what about healthcare and fiscal policy??

by Anonymousreply 259July 3, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote]And sorry, Stans, great hair and shoulder pads and good hearing performances aren't actually the kind of distinguished that matters.

Oh, they matter.

by Anonymousreply 260July 3, 2020 4:03 PM

[quote]Why did Biden box himself in by saying he'd choose a woman for VP?

[quote]Because it’s 2020 and it’s time.

Hasn't anyone ever heard of Geraldine Ferraro?

by Anonymousreply 261July 3, 2020 4:09 PM

[quote]Hasn't anyone ever heard of Geraldine Ferraro?

The Mondale/Ferraro ticket got 13 Electoral votes. It's not 1984 anymore.

by Anonymousreply 262July 3, 2020 4:14 PM

One poster has sure been busy this week promoting problematic dullard Susan Rice. She's the one who Republicans want to run against so they dust off all the Benghazi/Hillary talking points that were so effective in 2016. Why in the world would we want to give them that opportunity?

She brings no enthusiasm, excitement or demographic advantage to the ticket. She has as much appeal to black voters as her cousin Condoleeza Rice.

by Anonymousreply 263July 3, 2020 4:27 PM

She won't.

by Anonymousreply 264July 3, 2020 4:30 PM

[quote]The Mondale/Ferraro ticket got 13 Electoral votes. It's not 1984 anymore.

Which means what? I'm talking about people acting like there never was a woman as VP on the Dem ticket before.

by Anonymousreply 265July 3, 2020 5:43 PM

[quote]Which means what? I'm talking about people acting like there never was a woman as VP on the Dem ticket before.

It means this one has an actual chance at becoming President. Ferraro did not.

by Anonymousreply 266July 3, 2020 6:00 PM

The Republican smear machine define Geraldine before she could define herself.Italian MAfia connections. So obvious and so not true. Mondale was never going to beat Reagan. Popular incumbent? Not happening.

by Anonymousreply 267July 3, 2020 6:01 PM

The woman running now will have a much better running mate than Mondale, at least.

by Anonymousreply 268July 3, 2020 6:02 PM

I worked for the Carter Mondale campaign. (Old Fart) and Walter Mondale was one of the kindest, most gracious, ethical smart people I ever knew in public life. He was a compassionate man, a devoted husband and father. I don't know what it is about Minnesota, but he was one wholesome mother fucker. Jimmy Cart always had this aloofness and a sense of mission even if he was friendly. But Mondale was a genuinely warm person. I never understood why he sacrificed himself.

by Anonymousreply 269July 3, 2020 6:07 PM

[quote]The woman running now will have a much better running mate than Mondale, at least.

What? Biden in NO way is a better man than Mondale. My god.

by Anonymousreply 270July 3, 2020 6:57 PM

ANYONE is/was better than Mondale. Except perhaps wishy-washy milktoast Jimmy Carter...

by Anonymousreply 271July 3, 2020 9:22 PM

Jimmy Carter was not wishy washy milquetoast. He was stubborn to a fault. He did not get along with Congress. Even his own party couldn't stand him. He was ALWAYS right and he ALWAYS took the "moral high ground." Pain in the Ass. But he was right about Human Rights. He was Right about the Environment, he was right on Energy policy, and he had solid domestic programs for housing economic development and education. He was also right about Russia, and about Israel and the Palestinian question. The Israelis hated him. The Russians hated him and humiliated him with the Iranian hostage crisis. Yes. I said Russia. Iran has always bee a client and they hated the Shah.

by Anonymousreply 272July 3, 2020 9:36 PM

Don't be surprised....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273July 4, 2020 5:25 AM

[quote]ANYONE is/was better than Mondale. Except perhaps wishy-washy milktoast Jimmy Carter...

Mondale wasn't a fool, liar, plagiarist, conservative or senile.

by Anonymousreply 274July 5, 2020 12:42 AM

I don’t think nice Michelle Obama is ready to go toe to tie with Putin, nor does she want to.

Can you imagine America’s mom, Michelle, trying to fight Putin off as he becomes more and more of a brutal dictator trying to conquer the world, and repeatedly tries to attack the U.S. on the down low? Human virus attacks, computer virus attacks, grid hacking, vote hacking, playing chicken with our Air Force jets, each step getting more and more blatant? She’s not enough of a bitch.

If you were running Helen Lawson as VP, I could see it. It would take a fishwife like her to scare that bastard back in his hole.

by Anonymousreply 275July 5, 2020 1:05 AM

Michelle works very hard to come across as "nice." But you underestimate her at your peril. She is highly intelligent, and tough as nails. She just doesn't like public life. She has no patience for conniving stupid greedy manipulative people. None. And she is outspoken. She found the spotlight taxing. She found bending over backwards to make white people feel comfortable exhausting, and she had no patience with people who refused to do the right thing on a real basic level. She won't be Joe's VP. Not happening. She might consider a seat on the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 276July 5, 2020 1:15 AM

R276, that would suit her temperament better, but it would also be a purely political appointment and set a bad precedent. The Republicans would try to put Trump on the Supreme Court, or Ivanka. Don’t open that door.

Obama on the court I could see. They can’t say he doesn’t know the consequences of the job, and he taught Constitutional law.

by Anonymousreply 277July 5, 2020 1:23 AM

Nonsense. Michelle Obama has all the credentials necessary for a seat on the Supreme Court. So does Barack. But it's her turn. Let him go write a book or something Let Michelle shine on the court. She'd be brilliant and Alito, Thomas and Kavanaugh would pee on themselves every time they had to sit across a table from her and discuss shit. None of them are smarter than her. And she'd be the first African American woman to sit on the Supreme Court. I love the idea.

by Anonymousreply 278July 5, 2020 3:16 AM

Republicans: Let Ivanka be on the Supreme Court. She’s a genius, and their qualifications are exactly the same! Besides, if the Democrats get to pick a family member, so do we!

Junior Mint, you’re up next for the second vacancy! RBG hasn’t got long, you’d be a perfect replacement!

by Anonymousreply 279July 5, 2020 5:16 AM

Iwanna can't be on the Supreme Court. It's a bench, not a face.

by Anonymousreply 280July 5, 2020 3:00 PM

R271, You are ignorant. You mistake a brilliant mind and a kind demeanor as " milquetoast."

People often point to the gasoline lines (Republican oilmen and Saudi antics) and high borrowing rates, but somehow they forget that it was the latter's concomitant high 18% savings interest rates that built their now-Granny's nest egg for their inheritance.

by Anonymousreply 281July 5, 2020 5:07 PM

Well... Keisha Bottoms is out. She's contracted COVID. Best of luck to her!

by Anonymousreply 282July 6, 2020 10:06 PM

I hope so, I love her. Kamala is bright, tough and compassionate. Beautiful too. LOVE her!

by Anonymousreply 283July 6, 2020 10:36 PM

What's your point R274? He LOST.

by Anonymousreply 284July 10, 2020 6:24 AM

Well looks like OP is correct

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285July 29, 2020 4:07 PM

Omg, I thought OP’s photo had chest hair.

by Anonymousreply 286July 29, 2020 4:26 PM

Well then...BIDEN AND HARRIS 2020!!!

by Anonymousreply 287July 29, 2020 4:44 PM

A lot of signs pointing towards Harris now. Politico accidentally posted the headline but quickly removed it today.

by Anonymousreply 288July 29, 2020 4:46 PM

I'm happy with Vice President Harris.

by Anonymousreply 289July 29, 2020 5:07 PM

I think there were enough negatives for everyone that no one really stood head and shoulders above Kamala as the obvious choice.

So, all things being equal, pick the youngest, prettiest one - hey, they say it has an effect, even if subconscious.

Not Kammie, don't fuck up !!

by Anonymousreply 290July 29, 2020 10:23 PM

* NOW Kammie, don't fuck up !!

by Anonymousreply 291July 29, 2020 10:24 PM

Hi! I'm Joe Biden.

As most of you will recall, Kamaltoe Harris kicked me directly in the nuts during the recent Democratic primary debates. I mean, full-on HARD, right in my almost-80-year-old ballsack.

She abandoned her candidacy shortly thereafter, after figuring out hardly anyone would be supporting her for president. Very first one to quit, if I recall.

So, naturally, this loser is most likely gonna be my Veep pick.

On the other hand, she'll help deliver California for me come November! (Wait, what's that you say? My winning California was never a question in the first place? Oh.)

Well, all I know is, Black voters love her to pieces, even if she IS the whitest African-American woman in the world!

by Anonymousreply 292July 29, 2020 10:45 PM

She in no way, shape or form has the chops to be one heartbeat away from President. If she was white no one would notice her.

by Anonymousreply 293July 29, 2020 11:09 PM

R292, KH isn't African-American.

She is Jamaican-Indian (as in India)-American.

by Anonymousreply 294July 30, 2020 10:25 AM

Told ya.

by Anonymousreply 295August 11, 2020 5:14 AM

Given what I've learned in the past couple hours from sources, I'm inclined to believe the VP leak could come tomorrow and would not be surprised if word leaked as soon as tomorrow AM to mid-day

A leak being different from a formal announcement which NYT says to expect midweek

In 2008, the Secret Service showed up at Biden's Delaware home ahead of the announcement that Obama had picked him.

There's a chance we will see that happen this year with the VP pick. Networks are going to stake out the homes of the potential picks.

by Anonymousreply 296August 11, 2020 5:22 AM

Wasn't the announcement supposed to come last week?

by Anonymousreply 297August 11, 2020 5:25 AM

Harris is fine. Rice is fine. Anyone is fine.

Just keep the Destroy Trump Train rolling along.

by Anonymousreply 298August 11, 2020 5:47 AM

That girl is me!!!!

by Anonymousreply 299August 11, 2020 7:00 PM

Democratic National Convention tentative lineup includes:

MONDAY: Michelle Obama, Bernie Sanders

TUESDAY: Jill Biden, Bill Clinton, AOC

WEDNESDAY: Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, Elizabeth Warren, Barack Obama

THURSDAY: Joe Biden, Tammy Duckworth, Kamala Harris

by Anonymousreply 300August 11, 2020 7:03 PM

Kamala right for the moment

by Anonymousreply 301August 11, 2020 8:00 PM

I think think the only way we will ever get a female president is if she is a vp moving up. The % of elected female presidents in the world is slim.

by Anonymousreply 302August 11, 2020 8:03 PM

I AM THAT GIRL!!!!! Kamala VP

by Anonymousreply 303August 11, 2020 8:15 PM

OP wins

by Anonymousreply 304August 11, 2020 8:18 PM

R392 The number of elected female Heads of State and Heads of Government continues to grow so much that a female president’s or prime minister’s gender is only worthy of note in countries which haven’t had one before. Such as in the USA, maybe, one day...

by Anonymousreply 305August 11, 2020 8:21 PM

I'm surprised. She came off as so calculating and rehearsed during the primaries, instead of genuine and caring about others...

by Anonymousreply 306August 11, 2020 8:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!