Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Billions’ Star Asia Kate Dillon Calls for SAG Awards to Abolish Gender-Specific Categories (EXCLUSIVE)

I hope you are all safe, and healthy.

In a letter dated June 1, 2020 you reached out notifying me I had been “selected to serve on the 27th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards Motion Picture Nominating Committee.” The categories you asked me to participate in judging are: female actor in a leading role, female actor in a supporting role, male actor in a leading role, male actor in a supporting role, cast in a motion picture and stunt ensemble in a motion picture. I received your letter today, June 10, 2020, and I apologize for my delayed response, which will focus on the acting categories you have asked me to judge.

'Billions' Showrunners Explain How They Plan to Work Around Coronavirus Shutdowns In late 2016, I publicly came out as non-binary, meaning I’m not male or female, or man or womxn. I use they, them, their pronouns. If you google my name and “acting award categories,” you will find I have been calling for an end to segregated acting categories. Separating people based on their assigned sex, and/or their gender identity, is not only irrelevant when it comes to how an acting performance should be judged, it is also a form of discrimination. Not only do your current categories erase non-binary identities by limiting performers to identifying as male or female / man or womxn ( which not all SAG members, like myself, do), they also serve as an endorsement of the gender binary at large, which actively upholds other forms of discrimination, including racism, the patriarchy, and gender violence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 30, 2020 4:15 AM

The distinction between male and female acting categories was implemented as a means of combating the chronic and systemic overlooking of cis-women, particulary white cis-women, when it came to acting awards. This was despite the fact that there were no other categories similarly revised (as in directoress, best female or best male director/cinematographer/sound designer, etc.) I say “particularly white cis-women” because it’s important to note how dangerous it has been to defend the separation of male and female acting categories, as well as other awards shows’ use of the actress category, as being motivated by wanting representation for all womxn (cis and trans alike). In fact, Black, POC, indigenous, trans, and disabled womxn are still the most underrepresented groups at any awards show. And yet, if SAG, or the Academy, or the Emmys, or the Critics Choice Awards, decided to combat that underrepresentation by creating Best Black/POC/Indigenous actress in a leading/supporting role, that action would resoundingly read as what it was: racist and discriminatory.

In April 2017, when Showtime wanted to submit my name for Emmy consideration in the supporting category, I engaged in a conversation with the Emmy board that felt encouraging at the time. I asked them to clarify if their actor and actress categories were intended to separate people based on assigned sex and/or gender identity. I was told that Emmy rules state that any performer can enter either category for any reason. Since the word actor (late 14c.) is a gender-neutral word meaning “theatrical player, to do, to perform,” and is the word I’ve always used to refer to myself, I asked to be submitted under supporting actor. When the Critic’s Choice Awards later took it upon themselves to nominate me within the supporting actor category, I felt respected in my identity. I now recognize, however, that being submitted or nominated within categories that reinforce the gender-binary should have been met with my outright rejection of those nominations, alongside calling for change.

Not only is it possible to combine all of your leading and supporting nominees into the same gender-neutral categories, there is precedent: On May 7, 2017, I presented the first gender-neutral acting award, to Emma Watson, at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, noting, “It’s so cool to be here presenting the first acting award ever that celebrates performance free of any gender distinctions. Tonight we celebrate portrayals of the human experience, because the only distinction we should be making when it comes to awards is between each outstanding performance.”

To return, then, to your invitation: I would be thrilled to serve as a judge, provided you take immediate action to combine your acting awards into gender-neutral categories. This courageous and overdue step from my union would send a wide message that SAG not only supports me but supports all its non-binary and gender non-conforming members.

I look forward to your reply. With Love and Solidarity, Asia Kate Dillon — they / them / theirs

by Anonymousreply 1June 11, 2020 10:23 PM

How do we tell her to go fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 2June 11, 2020 10:25 PM

R2, you sound like a Republican.

I don't see why this is a problem. Why do we make separate categories for women? It's not like they're any worse at acting than men

by Anonymousreply 3June 11, 2020 10:27 PM

I stopped reading at "assigned sex" because I knew that "cis" would be following soon.

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2020 10:29 PM

A lot of people are for this, even if they aren't trans. There isn't any evidence that men are better at acting. Most drama school students are females.

by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2020 10:32 PM

And when they do that, everyone will be screaming its not fair and we need separate categories. She can take her "Im special" bullshit and stick up what ever orifice she sees fit.

by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2020 10:38 PM

I don't think it's simply/only a trans issue. As Dillon mentions, we don't have a Best Female Director category, do we? Why do we care more about female recognition in the acting category than in directing?

by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2020 10:41 PM

And what happens when the acting awards go exclusively to men?

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2020 10:49 PM

So, that’s a “no” then?

by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2020 10:53 PM

I think it’s a good idea, but just wait until there’s a year where men or women heavily dominate the nominations, or men win the award several years in a row. Just wait.

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2020 11:02 PM

Your responses to her demand are LITERAL VIOLENCE!

by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2020 11:05 PM

1. You are either Male or Female, my friend, unless you are one of the very, very, rare people who are born intersexed. Gender identity is another discussion.

2. Sex is not assigned at birth, it is observed.

3.What is the difference, except silly pretension, between “women” and “womxn?”

by Anonymousreply 12June 11, 2020 11:06 PM

R10, we don't really have to wait, we know what would happen. There are always more roles for men, and they are often much better roles than women are often. Inevitably men would dominate the category.

by Anonymousreply 13June 11, 2020 11:06 PM

Why not separate the categories to comedy and drama, assuming this isn't done already?

by Anonymousreply 14June 11, 2020 11:08 PM

Not so fast R13. Even though it’s against the entire point of having genderless categories, there would be forced quotas. It would be unspoken, but it would happen.

by Anonymousreply 15June 11, 2020 11:09 PM

Then, what? Only Best performance of the year and best supporting performance of the year? That would wipe out two categories. It would make for a shorter evening.

by Anonymousreply 16June 11, 2020 11:12 PM

She wants it because she thinks it will get her a nomination. Pro tip: if it goes to genderless fewer women will be nominated. Best guess is that the top 1, maybe 2 Best Actress nominees in any given year would make the cut in a "best lead performance" category because it's secret voting - no way to virtue signal.

by Anonymousreply 17June 11, 2020 11:46 PM

I love her/him on Billions. My favorite character.

But most of us are men or woman. Just like we don't have gay men awards or lesbian awards, we don't get trans award. Just act great and take the paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 18June 11, 2020 11:50 PM

The MTV Movie Awards are gender neutral, but there's a difference between pitting Emma Watson in "Beauty and the Beast" vs. The Rock in whatever action film he's in. Plus, it's a fan vote.

Look at this year's Oscar nominees and winners. If there are only ten slots for actor - five for Leading and five for Supporting, how many women would have actually got the nomination? The type of roles/characters women get to play (unless they're playing the Queen) often does not match the level of strength that male actors get to play. Would Laura Dern have been nominated for "Marriage Story", let alone win if voters pitted her work against Anthony Hopkins in "The Two Popes", Al Pacino in "The Irishman" or Brad Pitt in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"?

by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2020 2:07 AM

"Strong" in what sense?

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2020 2:09 AM

r3, it's a bad idea because most movies and roles are lead by men. There would hardly ever be a woman winning lead performance or whatever they will call it again. She is promoting another way to erase women and she doesn't even realize it.

by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2020 2:18 AM

R17 That's pretty much the inevitable result but I wonder what her reaction to that happening would be? Would she still think removing the separate categories is a good idea? Or would she double down and pretend that it wasn't an issue. I swear these types are so out of touch with reality that they can't see or understand simple patterns.

by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2020 2:19 AM

These people sure do love to talk about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2020 2:21 AM

R14 Because then you get a Golden Globes situation where studios try and get their films into the easier Comedy category. Like the year The Martian won the Best Musical/Comedy Golden Globe.

by Anonymousreply 24June 12, 2020 2:23 AM

But didn't the #OscarsSoWhite thing lead to more black nominees? I don't see a problem with an unofficial quota - after all, it's not like these things are ever decided "fairly." If someone doesn't have the financial backing, a nomination likely won't be forthcoming. Bottom line, it's all about $$$. So what's being protected?

by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2020 2:25 AM

Why is it "man" but "womxn"? Is there a reasoning behind that?

by Anonymousreply 26June 12, 2020 2:28 AM

R21 - Exactly. This is why I'm not happy about all this trans activism either. Trans women are utilizing their natural male aggressiveness to push their agenda.

by Anonymousreply 27June 12, 2020 2:31 AM

Pretty soon we won’t have any characteristics at all. We’ll just be amorphous organisms, competing to see who can be the most featureless.

Who will win the award this season?? Will it be sentient vertebrate #A, or sentient vertebrate #B??

(Our apologies to our underrepresented non-sentient and/or invertebrate friends in the industry.)

by Anonymousreply 28June 12, 2020 2:34 AM

R25, probably just our illusions, but that is what we are paying for. It’s entertainment, we need to believe the fantasy. Once you accept it as merely a cynical exercise, it’s not worth doing.

by Anonymousreply 29June 12, 2020 2:35 AM

[Quote] probably just our illusions, but that is what we are paying for.

But how do you maintain your illusions? By only watching the nominated movies? I bet most people who love movies see performances that don't get recognized once the awards season rolls around.

by Anonymousreply 30June 12, 2020 2:38 AM

I did it before it was cool, losers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 12, 2020 2:40 AM

[quote]man or womxn

What fresh hell is this? Why is it always, always, always the woman part of anything that is changed. Men, and non-men. Fuck her/him/them/it.

I really hope the only response it gets is "Never mind."

by Anonymousreply 32June 12, 2020 2:41 AM

[Quote] What fresh hell is this? Why is it always, always, always the woman part of anything that is changed. Men, and non-men. Fuck her/him/them/it.

You don't see the irony in this statement?

by Anonymousreply 33June 12, 2020 2:42 AM

And more importantly R19, who even remembers that Laura Dern won for Marriage Story? These awards are meaningless and shouldn’t be taken that seriously

Someone should tell this person, awards shows are to promote the entire industry not individuals. And mean nothing.

Or maybe they should add two gender neutral categories so there can be more awards for men.

A good example of the disparity between men and women was the year Tom Hanks won for Forrest Gump, which a majority of people saw (not myself though), and Jessica Lange won for Blue Sky, which nobody saw and still haven’t. Or even Joker and Judy, makes the same point.

Without quotas, genderless categories will mean fewer nominations and awards for women. Much less trans performers.

I support trans people but sometimes they can be know it alls. This person is funny thinking such a change would result in recognition for them - by halving the number or actual nominees. Somebody should introduce her to math.

by Anonymousreply 34June 12, 2020 2:57 AM

[Quote] awards shows are to promote the entire industry not individuals.

In a world of celebrity worship, that isn't quite true.

by Anonymousreply 35June 12, 2020 2:59 AM

r34, I saw Blue Sky and thought Jessica was terrific in it.

by Anonymousreply 36June 12, 2020 3:03 AM

Did you see Crissy Rock in "Ladybird Ladybird"?

by Anonymousreply 37June 12, 2020 3:06 AM

Fuck Them. How about we just nominate people based on their genitals?

by Anonymousreply 38June 12, 2020 3:09 AM

Yes, please.

by Anonymousreply 39June 12, 2020 3:11 AM

they're not gender specific categories, actually, they're sex specific, silly bitch ---problem solved. not that I care if she participates or whatever or not, so there was no problem in the first place

by Anonymousreply 40June 12, 2020 3:13 AM

R7-- but this comparison makes no sense at all. in theory a person of any sex can direct any project; a person of any sex cannot play king lear or something. maybe not the best example with all the gender-switching casts in Shakespeare, but if you're a female, you're stuck playing female characters for the most part, and vice versa, and as a general rule female roles are limited to the girlfriend, the wife, the ditzy protagonist in search of a boyfriend who falls over a lot, etcetera etcetera. and who cares about those characters

by Anonymousreply 41June 12, 2020 3:19 AM

The entire concept of non-binary is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 42June 12, 2020 3:21 AM

She was notably terrible in the latest John Wick movie, which says a lot given the cast.

by Anonymousreply 43June 12, 2020 3:31 AM

Channeling Joy Behar: So What, Who Cares!

by Anonymousreply 44June 12, 2020 3:36 AM

R33, are you talking about the 'men, non-men' part? I wrote that because it is the epitome of what I'm talking about and was actually done by some British organization last year. They decided women were just non-men and would be fine being called that. They were wrong.

by Anonymousreply 45June 12, 2020 3:37 AM

[quote]a person of any sex cannot play king lear

Go fuck yourself

by Anonymousreply 46June 12, 2020 3:54 AM

I mean, having categories at all is a way of creating a false but necessary taxonomy in order to be able to give out different awards for different elements that coexist within a single artwork, but which are never actually experienced in isolation.

Taken to its logical conclusion, there should only be award categories for best picture/TV series where the totality of the work is recognised, and not individual contributions.

by Anonymousreply 47June 12, 2020 4:35 AM

LIke it or not, sex appeal plays a large role in how one measures great acting. If you threw everybody into one genderless category, it would get really confusing.

by Anonymousreply 48June 12, 2020 4:47 AM

don't she make her brown eyes blue

by Anonymousreply 49June 12, 2020 5:15 AM

[Quote] sex appeal plays a large role in how one measures great acting.

"For your consideration..."

by Anonymousreply 50June 12, 2020 5:19 AM

It's stupid.

The reason there are sex-based categories in the first place is because previously all the awards went to men.

What is this insistence by assholes to dismantle all the hard-fought sex-based consideration for women?

You can say "times have changed" but - you're trying to take things away from women, so they really haven't.

And the trans / nonbinary bullshit is just a smokescreen.

These people are stupid at best, and malevolent and misogynistic at worst.

by Anonymousreply 51June 12, 2020 5:24 AM

[quote]I look forward to your reply. With Love and Solidarity, Asia Kate Dillon — they / them / theirs

Technically, shouldn't that be "We look forward to your reply"?

by Anonymousreply 52June 12, 2020 5:28 AM

If that's the case, why aren't there sex-based categories for writing, directing etc.?

by Anonymousreply 53June 12, 2020 5:31 AM

So if I kicked her in the cunt she wouldn't feel it?

by Anonymousreply 54June 12, 2020 5:32 AM

R53 those categories haven't had the issues the other categories have had.

by Anonymousreply 55June 12, 2020 6:01 AM

Over and over again, it's women who are called upon to give up things in order to accommodate these mentally ill men. Safety, privacy, achievement, who they're allowed to fuck without being called a bigot, and even the right to be called a woman at all ('menstruators', etc). When the fuck is it going to end?

by Anonymousreply 56June 12, 2020 6:15 AM

To be fair, R56, Kate Dillon is a mentally ill woman.

by Anonymousreply 57June 12, 2020 7:48 AM

r53 because these are entertainment shows. People want to see stars. No one cares who the directors or writers are. You want multiple acting categories because that is who the average person cares about and wants to see.

by Anonymousreply 58June 12, 2020 11:38 AM

maybe they should just re-title the categories "best actor in a female role" "best actor in a male role"....that way ti doesn't matter what designation the actor is (the writer obviously has an idea of what sex the character is...)

by Anonymousreply 59June 12, 2020 11:48 AM

The basic problem is the more winners the merrier. It makes good press and ratings.

It would make more sense to add a genderless category for outstanding acting performances by a mix of performers not nominated for the other categories for some reason.

I do agree that a great deal of people are too hung up on labels and feel the need to enforce them in order for their world to not fall apart like a house of cards.

I believe progress can't happen overnight and while it's ok to discuss the intended goal, some smaller and achievable middle steps should be taken on the road of successful progress.

by Anonymousreply 60June 12, 2020 11:56 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 12, 2020 12:12 PM

R60 You realise that if they added a category like that in effect it would be like having two best actor awards? It'd take less than five years before everyone notices the pattern. Or you're one of those people that actually doesn't understand what the academy is like at all? Either way you're incredibly naive.

by Anonymousreply 62June 12, 2020 12:29 PM

Face it, with the current make-up of the voters, no woman will win an an acting award again.

by Anonymousreply 63June 12, 2020 12:33 PM

She doesn’t have to worry about this affecting her because she’ll never get nominated.

I’ve seen her acting and it screams “I only got hired because I played the trans card”

by Anonymousreply 64June 12, 2020 12:35 PM

[quote] You realise that if they added a category like that in effect it would be like having two best actor awards?

Not if there is an actual push to do it right on social media. You know, like Oscars So White.

[quote] Either way you're incredibly naive.

I sure hope you're pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 12, 2020 12:52 PM

The entire acting community must be less than 1% trans or “non-binary”, but sure let’s restructure the awards for THEM.

by Anonymousreply 66June 12, 2020 12:58 PM

R65 It's been fun watching you pretend like you know anything about the Oscars other than stuff you read after a hastag campaign.

by Anonymousreply 67June 12, 2020 3:35 PM

It would be all male nominees with a few "powerhouse" women like Cate Blanchette, Meryl, etc. - frankly, actresses that men "respect" as artists insofar as they do that at all.

And you can kiss nominations for black women goodbye.

Notice how trans activism never, ever negatively affects men. I really think this is one of the main reasons it is pushed so hard in the media.

by Anonymousreply 68June 12, 2020 3:46 PM

If a separate category is created for the non-binary/trans communities, they 'll be hell to pay. They don't like having gender-neutral bathrooms, FFS!!

Here's an idea. Why don't the non-cisses create their own awards show? Problem solved!

AKD better hope the role on Billions lasts forever. She's put it in writing what her demands will be if offered a role in any other movie, TV show, or the theater.

by Anonymousreply 69June 12, 2020 4:28 PM

R69, what were her demands?

by Anonymousreply 70June 13, 2020 3:09 PM

R70, they (the pronoun preferred by AKD) want to eliminate reference to gender (best actress/best supporting actress) which separates the nominees into category based on sex. Her argument is that, since the word "actor" refers to both/all identifications, it should just be be best actor/best supporting actor.

The problem is, we'd have at least 10 nominees in those categories. The argument is that the winner would most likely be male, effectively shutting out women. Think Meryl Streep and Robert DeNiro both being nominated. Who wins?

by Anonymousreply 71June 15, 2020 2:30 PM

But if the nominees end up being mostly men, that will light a fire about female roles and/or representation. Is that a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 72June 15, 2020 2:34 PM

This makes sense. Segregating acting awards on the basis on gender is totally arbitrary.

by Anonymousreply 73June 15, 2020 2:38 PM

Do this and I predict that women will be nominated for less and less.

by Anonymousreply 74June 15, 2020 2:42 PM

Why, R74?

by Anonymousreply 75June 15, 2020 2:43 PM

I assume if there were ten acting spots, you'd mostly see an even five split most years, maybe some years six women, maybe some six men.

It could be slightly less rigid which would've helped women in years like 1950 or men in 1962.

by Anonymousreply 76June 15, 2020 2:47 PM

I don't understand those saying women wouldn't get the nominations/wins. Over the last few years performances by women have been far superior to those by men. Every year there's a discussion of what women were snubbed due to too many great performances.

by Anonymousreply 77June 15, 2020 2:52 PM

I suspect R74 is just a rad fem.

by Anonymousreply 78June 15, 2020 2:55 PM

R77, I think it has to do with the makeup of voters in the Academy. If the majority are older white males, the presumption is that they will vote male.

Does anyone know the makeup of the voting members? Does anyone know how many non-binary actors/actresses there are, period?

by Anonymousreply 79June 15, 2020 3:15 PM

[quote]If the majority are older white males, the presumption is that they will vote male.

No, I don't think that's a given...

by Anonymousreply 80June 15, 2020 3:17 PM

Would this make the ceremonies shorter?

by Anonymousreply 81June 15, 2020 3:44 PM

R78 that’s Ms. Nan Michigan-Womyn to you, sexist imperialist racist pig. Excuse me while I steam my minge and take my curry douche.

by Anonymousreply 82June 15, 2020 4:11 PM

These stats are from 2018 and who knows how accurate their calculations were considering the Academy historically has been very protective about their voting body.

...women still only make up 28% of total members, despite making up 50.8% of the U.S. population.

In 2015, people of color made up only 8% of total Academy membership. That number has now jumped to 13%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 15, 2020 5:04 PM

I'm not trans and I'm for this. I think Asia has raised good points. I think the reason we have gender-segregated acting categories is to give 2 awards in each category but the implication is that acting is like sports in that female actors have some type of innate biological handicap when it comes to acting compared to male actors. Acting is the only work that gets sex-segregated like that. If we don't have a Best Female Cinematographer why have a Best Supporting Actress? Regardless of Asia's specific intentions with this, it's just an outdated convention all around.

by Anonymousreply 84June 15, 2020 5:07 PM

It's hilarious seeing the men on this thread mansplain that sexism doesn't exist in Hollywood. They're really, really sure. Uh huh.

by Anonymousreply 85June 15, 2020 5:11 PM

The continent of Asia would like to express its dismay at this actress's cultural appropriation of its name.

by Anonymousreply 86June 15, 2020 5:12 PM

It's hilarious seeing the women on this thread fishsplain that there's some actual reason for sex-segregated awards for acting. They're really, really sure. Uh huh.

by Anonymousreply 87June 15, 2020 5:14 PM

Now all the awards ceremonies will be clogged up by fug social climbers like Adam Driver.

Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 88June 15, 2020 5:24 PM

I like the sex segregated categories. Why does there have to be a reason other than that's what it's always been? It's not illegal.

by Anonymousreply 89June 15, 2020 5:33 PM

I agree with R89 and feel this is a silly demand on Asia's part. It's as if the Academy created male and female acting categories just as a way to insult women by implying they're somehow "less" than their male counterparts when, in reality, it was really just a way of increasing the number of awards they could give out in one night. Period, full stop. There was no nefarious intent. Plus I think a female performer who wins the Best Actress Oscar (or Best Supporting Actress) has just as much to crow about as a man winning the Best Actor Oscar -- the latter is not seen as more than the former, at least not in the eyes of movie fans (or the entertainment media that covers celebrities). Jane Fonda or Liza Minnelli or Meryl Streep winning Best Actress means every bit as much as Robert DeNiro or Jack Nicholson or Denzel Washington winning Best Actor -- one is not less than the other.

I also think someone like Asia is missing the bigger picture: if there are gender-specific acting categories -- I won't say "segregated" because that's such a loaded word in this context -- that would actually give a gender non-conforming performer more opportunities. For example, if Asia plays a man in a film, then the rule should be they would qualify for either the Best Actor or Supporting Actor categories (and the Best Actress/Supporting Actress categories if they play a female character). Now imagine if, in the same year, Asia scores in BOTH -- they would make history as the first performer to be nominated in both the Actor and Actress categories in two different roles. That would be both historic and something to be celebrated.

by Anonymousreply 90June 16, 2020 2:22 AM

How could a supposedly "non-binary" person play a man or a woman? They fall to pieces when they are addressed as anything other than "they" or "them". It would be so triggering to be forced into the gender binary, they would spend the rest of their life on the floor, in the fetal position, sobbing.

by Anonymousreply 91June 16, 2020 2:46 AM

It’s not going to happen and after billions ends her career will as well. She’s one note and more of a gimmick.

It’s not like she has to worry about being nominated anyways.

by Anonymousreply 92June 16, 2020 3:16 AM

Asia Kate who has a vagina is a lightweight who thinks she/they are a heavy weight.

by Anonymousreply 93June 16, 2020 3:19 AM

[quote]Why does there have to be a reason other than that's what it's always been?

So you can't think of a reason why.

by Anonymousreply 94June 16, 2020 9:43 AM

Thinking about it now... maybe best Special Effects should be segregated...

by Anonymousreply 95June 16, 2020 9:44 AM

I hope she's fired.

by Anonymousreply 96June 16, 2020 9:45 AM

Because you disagree with her, R96?

by Anonymousreply 97June 16, 2020 10:04 AM

He ain't going to win an award even if he has to change the rules.

by Anonymousreply 98June 16, 2020 10:11 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 99June 16, 2020 4:42 PM

Asia Kate Dillon is currently the main antagonist in the John Wick franchise so... not going to be jobless anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 100June 16, 2020 6:10 PM

R100, she doesn't really have a major role in the movie and has very few scenes. Her character can easily be killed off. But I suspect she will sue, saying it was gender discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 101June 16, 2020 7:37 PM

Why don't we just give an award to everyone?

by Anonymousreply 102June 16, 2020 8:54 PM

Asia Kate Dillon's show jumped the shark. It's total shit now. I've never seen a show fall so fast. It's pretty bad

by Anonymousreply 103June 16, 2020 8:55 PM

Not my business; I'm curious what actors think.

We have two categories for actors now and we will only one unless we go Bronze, Silver, Gold and up the winners per category to three. That's one downside to this if it happens.

I agree it's weird to separate by sex for acting and not for other categories. Imagine if we had a female cinematography category. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 104June 16, 2020 9:00 PM

R104, in the 1920s, when the Oscars were created, there were virtually no female technicians of any kind in the film industry.

by Anonymousreply 105June 16, 2020 10:10 PM

SAG is sticking with the gender specific categories, so Asia has refused to be part of the nominating committee. (There's about 2500 people on these committees, so no big blow to SAG.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 23, 2020 3:23 AM

" There are at least 64 known gender identities and at least five known biological sexes.*"

Um...k?

I'm left-handed, like an estimated 10% of the population. Handshakes are awkward. I deal.

by Anonymousreply 107June 23, 2020 3:53 AM

Sorry. But what right does this freak bitch have to tell anyone else what to do. The world doesn’t need to change to justify her borderline personality disorder aspies bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 108June 23, 2020 4:47 AM

I know a few non-binary people that seem...very binary. They were born female and present as women, or born male and present as men. If there's little no androgyny, I'm just like...uh...so you want to be special?

by Anonymousreply 109June 23, 2020 4:58 AM

Oh, gawd, and they'll probably obey the trans agenda! We all must obey these damaged souls less we risk cancellation!

SAG-AFTRA already decided in their wisdom to abolish the word "actress", since women seem to feel better seeing themselves through the prism of the male noun "actor". Women aren't actresses but instead are "female actors" as if that does anything but erase them, forcing them into a hybrid of the male noun!

Most if not all of this trans casting on tv is just stunt casting, a current fetish advertising their wokeness. Nobody gives a shit about seeing more trans representation except casting directors, who are overwhelmingly very woke females.

by Anonymousreply 110June 23, 2020 7:27 AM

[quote]I publicly came out as non-binary, meaning I’m not male or female, or man or womxn. I use they, them, their pronouns.

Please stop. Just stop this madness. You are indeed female, just one obsessed with her "specialness". You have a severe case of AGD- Attention Getting Syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 111June 23, 2020 7:29 AM

God this bitch again? Every year Kate and her team roll out this same publicity stunt, yet she runs in the male category in spite of not being male nor does she “identify” as male. It’s so tiresome.

As anyone who knew her remembers Kate had no problems being female before she got her big break on Billions.

by Anonymousreply 112June 23, 2020 8:44 AM

I imagine in 20 years she'll look back on all this crap and cringe at how insufferable she was. I think all the 'woke' militant millennial/gen Z SJWs will. At least I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 113June 23, 2020 9:20 AM

These are the last 10 Outstanding Performance By A Cast winners at the SAG

2011 - The Kings Speech - 70% male cast 2012 - The Help - 16% male cast 2013 - Argo - 85% male cast 2014 - American Hustle - 73% male cast 2015 - Birdman - 43% male cast 2016 - Spotlight - 87% male cast 2017 - Hidden Figures - 55% male cast 2018 - Three Billboards - 73% male cast 2019 - Black Panther - 67% male cast 2020 - Parasite - 50% male cast

Actors with vaginas have nothing to worry about if gender specific categories are removed.

by Anonymousreply 114June 23, 2020 9:40 AM

Presented by % of penised actors

2013 - Argo - 85% cast

2016 - Spotlight - 87% male cast

2014 - American Hustle - 73% male cast

2018 - Three Billboards - 73% male cast

2011 - The Kings Speech - 70% male cast

2019 - Black Panther - 67% male cast

2017 - Hidden Figures - 55% male cast

2020 - Parasite - 50% male cast

2015 - Birdman - 43% male cast

2012 - The Help - 16% male cast

by Anonymousreply 115June 23, 2020 10:09 AM

Nan, you’re back!

by Anonymousreply 116June 23, 2020 10:12 AM

Hi Katie, here's a tip-

When your head's in the toilet, don't blow bubbles!

by Anonymousreply 117June 23, 2020 2:51 PM

So how does Asia feel about gender specific sports? Where does a non-binary person fit in there?

by Anonymousreply 118June 30, 2020 3:07 AM

"In fact, Black, POC, indigenous, trans, and disabled womxn are still the most underrepresented groups at any awards show."

Because they are minorities! How many trans actors or directors are there? Disabled womxn [sic]? Even blacks are a significant minority. Black people are overrepresented at awards shows, if you consider their population numbers.

by Anonymousreply 119June 30, 2020 3:17 AM

R119 It reminds me of the classic British comedy, about the inner workings of government, Yes, Minister. In one episode the main civil servant was discussing the appointment of people to QUANGOS, he told the guy that the perfect candidate would be a "Black, Welsh, disabled woman Trade's Unionist."

What this will result in is many people not getting the recognition they should have. The Daytime Emmy Awards decided to make the Younger Performer Category gender-neutral this year, and no male performers were nominated. How will they feel, if no women, or trans, are nominated in a category?

by Anonymousreply 120June 30, 2020 3:29 AM

How about awards shows such as these are done away with? Here we have 120 or so comments debating the merits of how this cultural / political issue should be dealt with in order to maintain the functionality of an awards show. This isn’t an important service that has any real-world affect on anyone. Why are you all prostrating yourselves in service of something of so little importance. What other industry demands this much attention and why does it get any? Why do you all care? It’s so contrived. I think it’s silly that this or any actor would even care about this at least they work in the industry. What’s everyone’s excuse here?

Easiest solution to this is to get rid of any and all awards shows. Nothing makes me cringe more than being asked “so have you seen all the nominees?” type question in the lead up to these god awful shows. Talk about losing respect for someone’s intellect.

by Anonymousreply 121June 30, 2020 3:45 AM

Give SAG some credit. This is the first time in a long while that their sort has said "no" to woke pressure

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 30, 2020 4:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!