Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Humphrey Bogart

Is he the king?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2021 5:44 PM

King of the African Queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2020 6:02 AM

Ugly and overrated. The end.

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2020 12:41 PM

yes he is. from an olde dutch NY family too.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2020 12:44 PM

Gable is king, Bogart is a royal duke though.

by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2020 12:54 PM

Like a lot of stars from that era, he usually played the same persona, but I watched Casablanca recently, and he really had some nice subtle shots and reactions. He was not a bad actor as well as having a presence.

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2020 1:23 PM

Not bad looking, he had those rough features instead of looking like a big screen pretty boy, and was a good actor. He was a also a very dedicated, life-long liberal. There's the story of Lena Horne buying a house in Bogart's neighborhood - having her white agent purchase the house since it was the pre-Civil Rights era. When the neighbors found out, they circulated a petition to have Horne removed and when Bogart found out, he sent a note to Horne's house basically saying "If anyone ever gives you any trouble, let me know". Bogart then had words with his neighbors, many of whom he knew for years including some he knew from motion pictures, but they never troubled Lena again.

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2020 2:36 PM

He actually looked really good when he was young. He became big star in his 40s and the smoking and drinking took a heavy toll on his looks by then. That's why he's perceived as unattractive because he was old (by the standards of that time) and looked tired and worn out in his most famous movies. Though it worked for the gritty film noir roles he took.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2021 4:32 PM

Key Largo is still one of my favorite movies after multiple viewings over the decades. Watching him and Edward G. Robinson together is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2021 5:25 PM

The "Book of Lists" had Bogart on its "biggest penises" list. I always wanted to ask Lauren if it was true, but never got the chance, alas.

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2021 6:26 PM

He had that old type of Manhattan accent that is likely extinct now.

by Anonymousreply 10May 13, 2021 1:07 AM

I knew a guy in college who looked like a younger version of the movie Bogart. Series thing alive in the flesh.

by Anonymousreply 11May 13, 2021 1:13 AM

Sexiest ^

by Anonymousreply 12May 13, 2021 1:13 AM

"What rhymes with glass?"

"Alas!"

by Anonymousreply 13May 13, 2021 1:19 AM

I love Bogie! Dark Passage with Agnes Moorehead, The Maltese Falcon with Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre? Phenomenal. Bogie was a very good actor. Subtle as said above. Not a fking scenery chewer like Burton or Olivier.

by Anonymousreply 14May 13, 2021 1:52 AM

I don't find him attractive, but he has a fantastic screen presence. Cagney had a wider range, but I love them both.

by Anonymousreply 15May 13, 2021 1:59 AM

Casablanca was on TCM this aft. I forgot that both Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet were in it. What a magical combo with Bogie!

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2021 9:59 PM

Didn't he always play kinda the same character? Like John Wayne.

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2021 10:01 PM

Easily my favorite actor of the 40s.. Some of less remembered films like "In a Lonely Place" are great because you can't take your eyes off of him---his acting, not his looks. And he really made "The Caine Mutiny" memorable, towering over the frankly lightweight cast of Fred MacMurray and Van Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote] Didn't he always play kinda the same character? Like John Wayne.

I've noticed that too. Bogart was good for playing tough and morally ambiguous characters just like his peer John Garfield. I think Garfield had more range.

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2021 10:08 PM

Didn't he and the Rat Pack bully James Dean and other younger actors? (I heard he thought method acting was too artsy-fartsy/tooty fruity) and that he and his table once humiliated and ridiculed Dean publicly in some Hollywood nightclub. I like Bogie onscreen...bur could totally see him being a douche in real life...

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2021 10:08 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2021 10:11 PM

He did like a smoke.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2021 10:13 PM

James Dean seemed to be hated by everyone in Hollywood either due to jealousy or annoyance by his hamminess. The more you read about Dean, the more it seemed he was really shy, eccentric and socially awkward outsider (given his upbringing, it would be understandable) despite his confident appearance on screen.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2021 10:21 PM

I just watched High Sierra, which Criterion put out on Blu-ray this week. It was his breakthrough role, and even at that point, he looked a little worn around the edges (which worked given he was playing a robber). I think he was gorgeous though, even in the years after. He had a nice lean body and a handsome face. I am surprised that people think he was ugly. He had that rugged sort of sexiness that is uncommon--or maybe I just have peculiar taste in men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2021 5:17 PM

He did have some range; [italic]Beat the Devil[/italic] is worth a watch. But he was miscast in [italic]Sabrina[/italic], not having the touch for light romantic comedy. I rewatch it anyway, because I love Bogart and William Holden.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2021 5:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!