Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Julie Christie really had the magic back at the height of her fame and success.

Even in this clip with silly hair and too much make-up.

Best Actress Oscar at 25 was quite a feat in 1966.

This is her post-Oscar interview when she'd just arrived back in London from Hollywood.

Only a minute long - I'd be interested to hear what YOU think or get from this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 8, 2020 8:59 AM

She makes me go misty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2020 4:32 PM

Love her.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2020 4:33 PM

Same person 50 years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2020 4:40 PM

Still absolutely gorgeous. She was haunting in Away From Me. Heartbreaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2020 5:20 PM

She can't even comb her hair!

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2020 5:23 PM

Actually she looks very ordinary now. Back then, she really was magic. But still terrific in Away from Her

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2020 5:38 PM

I love Julie Christie, virtually the quintessential star of the late 60’s. But also a wonderful actress. I wish I’d seen her onstage on Broadway in 1964, opposite Diana Rigg, in the RSC production of “The Comedy of Errors,” which toured the U.S. in 1964. Or in “Uncle Vanya, directed by Mike Nichols, in 1973.

Everything I’ve seen her in she has done good work. And she still, even at the age of 80, has that same elusive allure she always had.

But my favorite memory of her is also my first, when I saw “Billy Liar” (1963), in which the camera watches her stroll along the streets of Bradford, in Yorkshire, a lovely free spirit.

A marvelous presence.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2020 5:41 PM

She’s adorable in the OP clip.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2020 5:41 PM

You can see she's being totally honest. None of her responses are for effect...and I like her aside with John Schlessinger.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2020 5:49 PM

[quote]She can't even comb her hair!

She was quite famous for being scruffy - a lot of people found her disappointing in real lfe. She was also very short 5'2"

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2020 5:51 PM

I love her and her gay bestie Roland Curram together in DARLING (65).

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2020 5:54 PM

[quote]I love her and her gay bestie Roland Curram together in DARLING (65).

Oh, MAAAL!

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2020 5:55 PM

R7 YES, Billy Liar! She was beautiful and so understanding of Billy. I have it on DVD and watch it every now and then. Today is gonna be one of those days. Thanks for reminding me.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2020 5:56 PM

[quote] I love her and her gay bestie Roland Curram together in DARLING (65).

It must have been a first for the lead character in a major film have a gay best friend who was out about being gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2020 5:58 PM

I love Billy Liar too.

I was such a nerd I went once and found the locations in Bradford. Billy's house and a few other places.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2020 6:01 PM

Yes, I'm not sure she was even THAT great of an actress but she absolutely had *it*. In Shampoo especially, you can't take your eyes off her, even with Goldie Hawn sharing the screen.

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2020 6:03 PM

Those are some big ass lips.

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2020 6:04 PM

Why do all the Russians in Dr. Zhivago speak with British accents?

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2020 6:05 PM

She and Jean Shrimpton, the look of the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2020 6:05 PM

Julie Christie was so stunning that she even survived the terrible hairstyles of the 1970s. At the height of her beauty in the sixties, I consider her one of the most beautiful women to grace the screen.

Like Michelle Pfeiffer, her beauty unfairly overshadowed her considerable talent as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2020 6:07 PM

Little old Grandma.

Obviously a lifetime achievement award from the old guard. They did that back in the old days. Sixties.

Sniff

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2020 6:11 PM

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2020 6:21 PM

[quote]she even survived the terrible hairstyles of the 1970s.

I hated that hugely popular movie she did with Warren Beatty. It seemed like a vanity project for HIM, on reflection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2020 6:23 PM

R23, that’s the one I thought of first! Her perm in Heaven Can Wait wasn’t the worst of the seventies, but it was close.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2020 6:25 PM

No, mine was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2020 6:28 PM

I thought this was interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2020 6:40 PM

[quote]I was such a nerd I went once and found the locations in Bradford. Billy's house and a few other places.

R15 You lived my dream! When I saw the movie I wanted to walk in Billy's footsteps - visit the dancehall, the pubs, his house, the playground, etc.

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2020 6:42 PM

She’s a goddess, and she should have won a second Oscar for Afterglow.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2020 6:43 PM

There was such a good documentary made about the British films of the 60s called "Hollywood UK" and cleverly they took people to the old locations to talk about their films.

The Billy Liar section starts at 34:40

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2020 6:47 PM

I'll never forgive Marion Cotillard for stealing Christie's Oscar in 2007, for fucking lip-syncing to Edith Piaf's tracks. Some people think Christie's somewhat awkward speeches during the awards season cost her the victory.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2020 6:47 PM

R29 Thank you! I always loved that last shot of Julie Christie on the train leaving for London, knowing (I don't want to give away the ending so will leave it there). Also, that doc's portion of Richard Harris in This Sporting Life...I forgot how gorgeous he was as a young man.

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2020 7:08 PM

Interesting clip; she's being totally natural and thus not the otherworldly beauty we know from film (but still gorgeous).

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2020 7:08 PM

r23 I've never seen an actor more visibly bored in a film than Julie in Heaven Can Wait. I love that during a climatic scene towards the end, she's literally looking at her nails.

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2020 7:25 PM

Agree, R30.

by Anonymousreply 34June 6, 2020 3:48 AM

Ive mentioned this here before, but I used to dress up in my Mother’s wigs, falls, and wiglets (simultaneously!!) and pulled her large fake fur around my neck just like R26’s pic of Julie Christie as Lara.

by Anonymousreply 35June 6, 2020 4:07 AM

R35: That's Julia Roberts as Julie Christie as Lara, courtesy of makeup talent Kevyn Aucoin.

by Anonymousreply 36June 6, 2020 4:29 AM

Julia Roberts is no Julie Christie.

by Anonymousreply 37June 6, 2020 5:05 AM

[quote]Ive mentioned this here before, but I used to dress up in my Mother’s wigs, falls, and wiglets (simultaneously!!) and pulled her large fake fur around my neck

You can't mention it too often, as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2020 8:15 AM

r18 Don't forget their California tans!

by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2020 5:01 PM

And apparently an authentic free spirit. Warren Beatty talked of being in her house once and finding a check made out to her for something like 40k wedged deep between two couch cushions. She had no clue it was there.

by Anonymousreply 40June 6, 2020 5:09 PM

London 1969 - looking a mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 6, 2020 7:07 PM

I always get Julie Christie mixed up with Julie Harris. Love them both, but don't know why I cant keep them straight

by Anonymousreply 42June 6, 2020 7:11 PM

Yeah, I don't either, R42, since they looked (and were) nothing alike.

Bitch 41, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 6, 2020 8:16 PM

That should have been bitch R41.

by Anonymousreply 44June 6, 2020 8:17 PM

I think you can cut hollywood into old & new with her Oscar win. The year before Julie Andrews won for Mary Poppins. Maybe I’m wrong.

by Anonymousreply 45June 6, 2020 8:24 PM

Petulia was my introduction to the rain lamp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 6, 2020 8:29 PM

R10 She had the scruffy, big hair look to emulate that sex-kitten Brigitte Bardot.

The Style Editor of 'Harpers & Queen', Peter York, who also published 'The Sloane Ranger Handbook' (starring Princess Di) said Christie's tousled hair was the epitome of 'The Just-Raped Look'.

Christie epitomised the Free Sex attitude of the 1960s Pill Generation. She said she wanted to 'suck Beatty's cock' on screen.

by Anonymousreply 47June 8, 2020 5:56 AM

She and Tom Courtenay were great in "Billy Liar". They were reunited two years later in "Doctor Zhivago", and I thought he was excellent, but her Lara was underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 48June 8, 2020 6:10 AM

^ Lara was an adulteress and Rod Steiger called her a slut.

And, of course, she played a Harvey-Weinstein-type in 'Darling'. And she got an Oscar for that.

by Anonymousreply 49June 8, 2020 7:39 AM

She’s aged wonderfully well.

by Anonymousreply 50June 8, 2020 8:01 AM

There's a pretty photo of her on Google as a school girl.

But she fitted best in the 60s when movie stars had lots and lots of hair on top of her head and those dangling tendrils.

by Anonymousreply 51June 8, 2020 8:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!