Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joe Biden has his “Basket of Deplorables” moment

Buck would have never repeated Hillary’s stupidest mistake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 16, 2020 2:46 PM

Reid J. Epstein By Reid J. Epstein June 4, 2020 WASHINGTON — Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. told a group of black supporters on Thursday night that most Americans were good people who think the nation can be improved, while also declaring that “there are probably anywhere from 10 to 15 percent of the people out there that are just not very good people.”

Mr. Biden offered his estimate during remarks in which he spoke about the importance of a president setting a positive example for the nation on racial issues. He accused President Trump of dividing the country while pledging that, as president, he would not.

“The words a president says matter, so when a president stands up and divides people all the time, you’re going to get the worst of us to come out,” Mr. Biden said during the discussion, which was moderated by the actor Don Cheadle.

“Do we really think this is as good as we can be as a nation? I don’t think the vast majority of people think that,” the former vice president said. “There are probably anywhere from 10 to 15 percent of the people out there that are just not very good people, but that’s not who we are. The vast majority of the people are decent, and we have to appeal to that and we have to unite people — bring them together. Bring them together.”

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2020 1:18 PM

Mr. Biden’s comments harked back to controversial statements by past presidential nominees who generalized in negative terms about portions of the population. In 2012, Mitt Romney, whose taped comments at a private fund-raising event were later leaked, said “47 percent” of voters would never support him because they were “dependent on the government.” And in 2016, Hillary Clinton said half of Mr. Trump’s supporters belonged in a “basket of deplorables.”

Mr. Trump, for his part, has made harsh, denigrating and insulting remarks about many individuals as well as whole groups of people and countries, including African-Americans, Mexican immigrants, Muslims, women, Jewish donors, and Haiti and some nations in Africa.

At different points in his 70-minute conversation, Mr. Biden spoke about race and racism in America in stark terms. He repeated several times that he didn’t know what it’s like to be discriminated against on the basis of race, though he said his experience of being bullied for his childhood stutter helped him understand bullies and “what it’s like to be humiliated.”

“I’m a white man,” he said. “I think I understand but I can’t feel it. I feel it but I don’t know what it’s like to be a black man walking down the street and be accosted, or to be arrested or, God forbid, something worse.”

Mr. Biden suggested that his election wouldn’t eradicate the systemic racism that has sparked protests across the nation in the wake of the death of George Floyd after he was pinned down by Minneapolis police officers.

“Hate didn’t begin with Donald Trump, it’s not going to end with him,” Mr. Biden said. “The history of our country is not a fairy tale, it doesn’t guarantee a happy ending, but as I said earlier, we’re in a battle for the soul of this nation. It’s been a constant push and pull for the last 200 years.”

Mr. Biden also acknowledged his own misjudgments about the progress the nation has made on race.

“I thought we had made enormous progress when we elected an African-American president, I thought things had really changed,” he said. “I thought you could defeat hate, you could kill hate. But the point is, you can’t. Hate only hides, and if you breathe any oxygen into that hate, it comes alive again.”

Speaking to an activist who was planning a Friday night march in Mr. Biden’s hometown, Wilmington, Del., the former vice president offered a gentle warning against allowing the protest to lead to destruction.

“We can’t allow the protesting to overshadow the purpose of the protest,” Mr. Biden said. “So there’s going to be a lot of folks that are going to want to cause trouble. Some cops, but some folks too. It’s going to take young leaders like you to change things in the city.”

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2020 1:19 PM

Really don't give a shit about this.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2020 1:23 PM

did he say to those black supporters that some of that 10-15 per cent could probably be black?

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2020 1:23 PM

These people were not going to vote for him anyway so what the fuck? They are what they are!

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2020 1:23 PM

I don't care if it's true, how hard is it seriously not to make this mistake? What is he going to do next, wheel Tim Kaine out as his running mate?

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2020 1:24 PM

And if Biden is going to go roasting the general population, maybe he should take into account his awful decision to euologize Strom Thurmond.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2020 1:26 PM

I don't consider it a mistake r6, so I can't help you.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2020 1:26 PM

Why is this a mistake? Why do you amplify every little tiny thing about Biden and overlook every great evil of Trump and co?

Who am I kidding. I know why.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2020 1:26 PM

Not what I would have preferred but I think it's the kind of the thing Biden can get away with. He's not know for being silver tongued. Romney couldn't carry it off because he was a rich capitalist. Hillary couldn't carry it off because she was Hillary and there was so much suspicion about her contempt for "regular Americans" and the "American way of life."

He has to own it now but you know what - sounds honest to me. It's also a low figure... gives lots of people the room to say well, that's not me, obviously, he's not talking about me... And more than ten to fifteen percent of not very nice people won't vote for him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2020 1:26 PM

This is why VP pick is so very important. Joe is OLD. He might not last 4 years or even 2. A VP who can step into the President's job is vital. Some of his possible picks based on just gender/race politics will not serve him in the general election. He must think about who can step into the top job one day 1. Susan Rice and Kamala Harris are the only ones I see who can do this. The others cannot.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2020 1:27 PM

[quote] roasting the general population

Jesus Christ, at least try to stay in the realm of reality.

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2020 1:27 PM

[quote] “there are probably anywhere from 10 to 15 percent of the people out there that are just not very good people.”

What a horrible thing for him to say. It's more like 35 to 40 percent of the people.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2020 1:28 PM

The country has changed after this mess. Shut up, OP.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2020 1:29 PM

Are these just Bernie Bros seizing on a last gasp?

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2020 1:29 PM

Sorry R14, but this kind of black and white thinking is what results in the kind of tragedies we have like the awful criminal justice bill Biden supported. You cannot just write off percentages of the population as "bad people."

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2020 1:31 PM

I agree calling them not good people is not wise if you want to be president of all Americans. What did he mean? That they were hateful towards blacks? I thought he was catholic?

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2020 1:32 PM

Is he wrong? Trump supporters are deplorable and they are "not very good people".

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2020 1:32 PM

??? He's right. Well, I think the percentage is actually bigger. I cannot imagine anyone caring about this comment enough for it to effect their vote. We all know some people are assholes.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2020 1:33 PM

*affect

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2020 1:33 PM

That means he thinks 85% of people are good. Not like Hillary who openly admitted her disdain for half the country.

This wasn’t a gaffe.

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2020 1:34 PM

Bullshit, r16. Biden isn't going to treat that percentage any differently from the rest of the country. That would be Republican who reward their followers and punish those against them.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2020 1:34 PM

DID BIDEN MEAN 10-15 % OF PEOPLE WERE BAD always in this country OR this percentage were bad IN THIS PARTICULAR EVENT OF PROTESTING/LOOTING on the death of floyd? THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!....

never mind, either way he meant it, he is right! and most sane people KNOW he is right as well!.

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2020 1:37 PM

Actually, it may be a brilliant piece of strategy, the more I think about it.

It's a low number - very low number - he's setting out a challenge and a marker: are you on them, that small group? Who do you identify with? What do you think? It won't cost him any votes he would have gotten. It may well, with all the massive ugly crosscurrents unsettling American society, get him some votes.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2020 1:37 PM

Also his whole selling point is "I can unite the country" And now he tries to pull this BS?

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2020 1:37 PM

It is inarguable there are bad people in a society. That' why we need governments, laws and regulations.

What kind of happy valley should he pretend we live in with ten days of legitimate protests and a man dead because a cop thought it was OK to put a boot on his neck?

If you think uniting the country meant unanimity, you're a fool.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2020 1:39 PM

I think part of what would be a return to normalization would be calling out self-declared nazis again. The kind of people that carried those tiki torches. The kind of people that are posting pics mocking George Floyd's death. That used to be absolutely atrocious, shameful. trump has relieved them of shame. Those people need to be called out fro what they are.

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2020 1:40 PM

Oh noes, now we have no choice but to vote for the shittiest president in American history! Boris Winnnnnssssss!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2020 1:41 PM

Such a stupid thing to say. Especially while criticizing Trump for his rhetoric and positioning himself counter to that. He should be trying to inspire people and appeal to their better nature, not write them off as irredeemable assholes.

Now, if we’re being frank, is he right? Yes. And I’d say the number is higher than that. But that’s not the kind of shit you say when you’re trying to win a majority vote.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2020 1:42 PM

We've hit a point where we can't pretend everyone in America is good any longer.

It's fictions like that - along with "the greatest country on earth" and the American dream and all that malarky that perpetuate the fucked up national character that allows the ills in American society to be worse than they should be.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2020 1:42 PM

[quote]He should be trying to inspire people and appeal to their better nature

The Datalounge is really making me laugh this morning!

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2020 1:45 PM

Whose 10-15%? Everyone has a different measure of who or what is "bad". My 10-15% is definitely different than a loony right-wing Christian's.

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2020 1:45 PM

Where's the controversial part? What, was Biden supposed to declare that all Americans are just swell, fine, and dandy, in the face of reality, statistics, and common sense?

Let the RWNJs think he means Liberals. Oh, wait; the RWNJs would add "and they should be hunted down and killed like the rabid animals they are."

GMAFB, OP.

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2020 1:47 PM

Whatever, r29. Anyone offended was never going to vote Democratic.

by Anonymousreply 34June 5, 2020 1:48 PM

I don't agree that "basket of deplorables" was a mistake. The people who were offended by that were Trump supporters. They would never have voted for Hillary anyway.

by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2020 1:49 PM

It's a completely different world than it was in 2016. Everyone knows the Deplorables are real. They proudly call themselves Deplorable on social media. The impact of the statement has worn off, and the media won't be able to use it as a cudgel like they did with Hillary. Joe is simply repeating what's already been said, and very few will care.

by Anonymousreply 36June 5, 2020 1:51 PM

With how fast the news cycles are these days it will be forgotten in 24 hours if not sooner anyway.

by Anonymousreply 37June 5, 2020 1:54 PM

[quote] Why is this a mistake? Why do you amplify every little tiny thing about Biden and overlook every great evil of Trump and co?

Who is doing that? It is possible to think Trump is evil and also think that Biden is a bad pick. It’s called being an adult capable of critical thought, and it’s the opposite of the lockstep, mindless support that some Republicans give to Trump.

I am concerned that Biden will talk himself out of the job. He is weird and comes off out of touch. I would vote for a mop with a wig on it to get Trump out and literally believe that a citizen chosen randomly out if a hat would be a more competent president than he. But not everyone feels that way. I just want Biden to keep his mouth shut and stick to the basics. He is not especially articulate is gaffing unprovoked.

by Anonymousreply 38June 5, 2020 1:55 PM

Biden should stop with the percentages and other canned remarks. And, knowing smiles and silence and artful short remarks are way more engaging than what he’s doing.

by Anonymousreply 39June 5, 2020 1:56 PM

[quote]He is not especially articulate is gaffing unprovoked.

Heal thyself.

by Anonymousreply 40June 5, 2020 1:56 PM

Agree, R39.

by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2020 1:57 PM

This is just a sad attempt to pretend that Trump isn't a completely incompetent piece of shit. Nobody real will care.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2020 1:57 PM

R34, it’s just a stupid, unnecessary gaffe that the Right will exploit ad nauseum until November in an attempt to win over independents.

When your whole angle to trying to provide a better alternative to someone who has contempt for pockets of our country, maybe don’t write off 10-15% of the populace.

I know the politics of Datalounge can be very far left, but those of the general population are not, and we can not win without independent voters.

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2020 2:00 PM

Can't they keep him a bit longer in his basement? It was going so well. The less he appears the better. Trump has been doing the job of demolishing himself smoothly so far..

by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote] It is possible to think Trump is evil and also think that Biden is a bad pick.

Go fuck your Bernie-loving self.

by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2020 2:06 PM

INTERESTING THOUGH, IN that the actual deplorables would automatically KNOW Biden is talking about them?? so what does that say? they know what they are and can't face the truth, but how dare anyone tell them the truth?...

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2020 2:06 PM

Not a gaffe. Not a mistake. Not a flub. Not a misstatement.

I suspect he knew exactly what he was saying and decided it needed saying. And he is right.

by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2020 2:06 PM

[quote]I am concerned

Yeah, we know, you're always so goddamned concerned.

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2020 2:07 PM

[quote]I know the politics of Datalounge can be very far left

Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2020 2:07 PM

Leave Biden alone!

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2020 2:10 PM

He needs to keep his mouth shut for the next 5 months. Seriously, he says the stupidest shit.

by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2020 2:10 PM

"Try not to analyze the voters in public" is generally a good idea. On the other hand, I hope he doesn't take all the concern trolling too seriously. Trump says worse shit every minute every day.

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2020 2:10 PM

R47 Biden never knows EXACTLY what he's saying - thats the problem.

by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2020 2:11 PM

Bernie bros before: Biden is bad because he says he wants to work with the GOP and reach across the aisle. All Republicans are irredeemable and can offer us nothing.

Bernie bros now: how dare he write off a small percentage of Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2020 2:11 PM

[quote] Go fuck your Bernie-loving self.

You’re as bad as a Fox-loving Trumptard. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2020 2:12 PM

[quote] You’re as bad as a Fox-loving Trumptard. Grow up.

You first.

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2020 2:15 PM

I feel like he was speaking to his particular audience here. Black activists protesting entrenched racism and psychotic police officers don't want to be told that everyone is good, they want to be reassured that he knows they are are fighting against real evil.

by Anonymousreply 57June 5, 2020 2:15 PM

Any smart candidate should steer clear of denouncing groups or percentages of Americans as bad prime, clinging to their guns and Bibles, thugs, or Deplorables. It just causes a knee jerk reaction from the media and other side that paints the candidate as an elitist and divisive. Biden is supposed to be a Uniter, not a divider. How could he repeat this blunder?

by Anonymousreply 58June 5, 2020 2:18 PM

As bAd people

by Anonymousreply 59June 5, 2020 2:19 PM

Ah yes, R57. Fan the flames of mob justice. That’ll work.

by Anonymousreply 60June 5, 2020 2:20 PM

VP pick - make or break for Uncle Joe

by Anonymousreply 61June 5, 2020 2:21 PM

[quote] Fan the flames of mob justice

Oh, for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 62June 5, 2020 2:22 PM

I love that when Trump is clearly swirling down the toilet people are going into hysterics about how Joe is doomed, doomed I tells ya. Oh, Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 63June 5, 2020 2:22 PM

[quote]He should be trying to inspire people and appeal to their better nature

[quote]The Datalounge is really making me laugh this morning!

DL is constantly screaming for Dems to take the gloves off and Joe barely does and suddenly all hope is lost.

Change your panties, girls, it's five months til Election Day. But I suspect much of the handwringing is DLers who haven't come to terms with the failures of Bernie or Warren or Kamala... we're good at that, too... witness the too soon around Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 64June 5, 2020 2:22 PM

[quote] “there are probably anywhere from 10 to 15 percent of the people out there that are just not very good people.”

[quote]What a horrible thing for him to say. It's more like 35 to 40 percent of the people.

What a horrible thing for you to say, R13!

It's more like 75-80% of Americans.

by Anonymousreply 65June 5, 2020 2:24 PM

The political theory know as the Keyes Constant is a real phenomenon, and if anything, Biden was being too kind by understating the number, which is more like 27%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 5, 2020 2:26 PM

More manufactured outrage from the NYT. Hillary said that half the country were deplorables. Biden said 10% aren’t very good people. It’s gonna be hilarious to watch the GOP defend the 10% of hardcore violent racists that Biden was obviously referring to. This comment will be forgotten in a week.

by Anonymousreply 67June 5, 2020 2:27 PM

And then you factor in how rude and hard New Yorkers are and how vain and empty headed Californians are and how stoned Vermonters are and I guess, what, 3% of the country is reasonably OK?

by Anonymousreply 68June 5, 2020 2:27 PM

It would be best if he chose a man of color. Best optics and that is what it's all about. Doesn't matter what he said in the past. He can go back on his word and say this is the best person for the job. He still can't come close to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 69June 5, 2020 2:27 PM

For those who say its wrong and a mistake....BULLSHIT. Biden was right...in fact, the number IS much higher. Nothing will change unless we stand up to them. Call them out. Condemn them. Backing down or apalogizing legitimizes them and their rhetoric. That how we ended up with Trump...by giving them a voice.

by Anonymousreply 70June 5, 2020 2:27 PM

Hillary said "a basket", Biden said "10 to 15 percent". Which is more?

by Anonymousreply 71June 5, 2020 2:27 PM

Joe Biden is senile, but he is still the best choice if he is the nominee.

Just remember - his VP choice is the person who will be serving the majority of his term because Joe just ain't gonna make it through all four years.

by Anonymousreply 72June 5, 2020 2:28 PM

"10% and Proud" hats incoming 10... 9... 8... 7...

by Anonymousreply 73June 5, 2020 2:29 PM

He is right, OP! The only people who will be offended are deplorables and he didn’t even mention them by name! They know who they are!

by Anonymousreply 74June 5, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote] INTERESTING THOUGH, IN that the actual deplorables would automatically KNOW Biden is talking about them?? so what does that say? they know what they are and can't face the truth, but how dare anyone tell them the truth?...

The great thing about the percentage he chose is that it cannot be applied to them as they see themselves to be a much bigger portion of society.

[quote] The political theory know as the Keyes Constant is a real phenomenon, and if anything, Biden was being too kind by understating the number, which is more like 27%.

If he had used this number, then they would be all over him contorting themselves to pretend that this is what he thinks they are even though they are more.

[quote] I feel like he was speaking to his particular audience here. Black activists protesting entrenched racism and psychotic police officers don't want to be told that everyone is good, they want to be reassured that he knows they are are fighting against real evil.

I absolutely agree, r57. And, like most people in this thread, they know the number is much higher and will give him credit for being optimistic and politically savvy while not trying to totally bullshit the situation... Like the labor report that just came out this morning.

by Anonymousreply 75June 5, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote]Which is more?

Depends on the basket r71.

by Anonymousreply 76June 5, 2020 2:39 PM

[quote] Joe Biden is senile

Only a person who has no idea what senility is could possibly say this.

by Anonymousreply 77June 5, 2020 2:40 PM

Politicians should all stick to the 99% of people are good, only 1% bad trope

by Anonymousreply 78June 5, 2020 2:40 PM

Hillary was right and so is Biden. Changes can't be made if we deny this truth.

by Anonymousreply 79June 5, 2020 2:40 PM

Hmm, 10-15%... isn’t that the same percentage of Americans who are black?

JOE BIDEN IS A RACIST!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 80June 5, 2020 2:41 PM

Good for him. It’s time we stop coddling trumps brain dead followers. We need to let them know they are not welcome in this country. When trump loses we need to make trump supporters pariahs. Second class citizens. Shame them every chance we get. Anyone acting outraged by this comment isn’t being genuine. I see fetal alcohol syndrome baby Don Jr is acting offended by this comment. Hah! Trump tweeted out a video saying the only good democrat is a dead democrat. He retweeted a letter saying the peaceful protesters are terrorists. This isn’t 2016. Comments like this don’t matter.

by Anonymousreply 81June 5, 2020 2:41 PM

Alternate headline: Biden says 90% of Americans are good people. Scandalous! The NYT is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 82June 5, 2020 3:37 PM

Bernie bros are pushing this hard. So sad. They’re probably just upset that their phony “revolutionary leader” has been absolutely silent while there’s an actual revolution going on. Bitter children.

by Anonymousreply 83June 5, 2020 4:02 PM

JOE BIDEN IS CORRECT. NEITHER HE NOR HILLARY MADE A MISTAKE. HE'S ONLY STATING THE TRUTH THAT THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY IS THINKING.

There is no mistake because 40% of American voters would never vote for him, anyway.

HE'S ONLY TELLING THE TRUTH. It only seems like a mistake to Republicans because REPUBLICANS ARE SO USED TO LYING.

HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE. FUCK YOU, OP.

by Anonymousreply 84June 5, 2020 4:23 PM

He’s not wrong

by Anonymousreply 85June 5, 2020 4:27 PM

It is still not too late to switch Uncle Joe out for a winner, calling Mr. Cuomo! Calling Mrs. Obama! The country will be in such bad shape if Trump gets in again, which can and possibly will happen. The unemployment is already dropping.

by Anonymousreply 86June 5, 2020 4:34 PM

Seriously, fuck off, r86.

by Anonymousreply 87June 5, 2020 4:35 PM

R79, Changes can’t be made if you don’t get elected

by Anonymousreply 88June 5, 2020 4:37 PM

but they are, bunky, they ARE a basket of deplorables

by Anonymousreply 89June 5, 2020 4:37 PM

Some of you would rather vent than to win

by Anonymousreply 90June 5, 2020 4:37 PM

Some of you are repeating BernieBot and Russia-created talking points.

by Anonymousreply 91June 5, 2020 4:41 PM

I think if we can get past the 'you ain't black' comment, we can give this a sweeping pass because it is kinda true. Also, Trump says a million unacceptable things in five minutes so I guess we have to harp on the few tone deaf things Biden says.

By the fucking way, how come Hunter Biden's clearance of any wrongdoing by the Ukraine hasn't made a blip on the news?!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 92June 5, 2020 4:41 PM

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 93June 5, 2020 4:42 PM

R91, it’s on the news and top trending on social media. Not talking about it here doesn’t change that

by Anonymousreply 94June 5, 2020 4:47 PM

Let me remedy that.

by Anonymousreply 95June 5, 2020 4:47 PM

R43, So you're saying that the10-15% will self-identify as "bad" and thus be offended and won't vote for Joe?

Or are you saying that the 85-90% will be offended on behalf of whoever they identify as "bad" ( a brother-in-law, maybe? Their 3rd-grade teacher?)?

IOW, Biden just lost the "bad people" vote. Alrighty, then.

by Anonymousreply 96June 5, 2020 4:51 PM

It's not even close to a gaffe. He didn't identify who the "bad" people were, unlike Hillary, who was referring explicitly to Trump supporters. (And I loved her for saying it, by the way.) So you can't say he's dividing us or targeting certain people--unless maybe you think he means you?

by Anonymousreply 97June 5, 2020 5:01 PM

The people "offended" by this seem to be people who can't get over the fact that Biden was choosen by Democrats across the country to be the nominee. Deal with it--he IS the nominee. That is not changing. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 98June 5, 2020 5:16 PM

Another Biden gaffe.

Not his worst, but just the latest stupid thing for Joe to say.

Just stupid, stupid and stupid.

He should just keep repeating to himself ... "THE GOAL IS TO GET VOTES FROM THE MOST PEOPLE. THE GOAL IS TO GET VOTES FROM THE MOST PEOPLE, over and over and over.

Labeling voters, whether by insulting terms (like the last Democratic Presidential candidate used) or carving up percentages of exactly who are "good" or "not very good" people does not in any way aid the candidate toward that goal.

Focus, Joe. Focus.

And put a sock in it.

Or better yet, pause and think and consider whether what you are about to spout off will turn off any, ANY, voters.

by Anonymousreply 99June 5, 2020 5:29 PM

I don’t get why any sane candidate would want to put a percentage to the number of bad people unless they do the proverbial 99% of people are good cliché.

by Anonymousreply 100June 5, 2020 5:33 PM

Don't care. And don't care that the media will now go into their stupid hysterics to prove that Both Sides Do It. It's all horseshit and will be forgotten in a day or two when Trump orders a massacre or something.

by Anonymousreply 101June 5, 2020 5:44 PM

he's such a dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 102June 5, 2020 5:46 PM

NOT A GAFFE. NO ONE WILL CARE.

This kind of thing is very useful for blocking the Concern Trolls who are wringing their hands.

by Anonymousreply 103June 5, 2020 5:52 PM

[quote] it’s on the news and top trending on social media. Not talking about it here doesn’t change that

R94, Dataloungers think if they cross-out the OP, the story disappears.

by Anonymousreply 104June 5, 2020 6:07 PM

quote] [R94], Dataloungers think if they cross-out the OP, the story disappears.

Um hm disappear like Ukraine, Tara Reade, Breakfast Club and Obamagate. And Biden’s numbers continue to climb. The media needs the horse race. The media needs to continue to compare 2020 to 2016 and attempt to turn Biden into Clinton. Which he is not and 2020 is very different from 2016.

by Anonymousreply 105June 5, 2020 6:16 PM

[quote] [[R94]], Dataloungers think if they cross-out the OP, the story disappears.

Um hm disappear like Ukraine, Tara Reade, Breakfast Club and Obamagate. And Biden’s numbers continue to climb. The media needs the horse race. The media needs to continue to compare 2020 to 2016 and attempt to turn Biden into Clinton. Which he is not and 2020 is very different from 2016.

by Anonymousreply 106June 5, 2020 6:17 PM

This will stop him. I just know it.

by Anonymousreply 107June 5, 2020 6:18 PM

I do believe the percentage of deplorables is definitely higher than 10-15%. I think it's more likely upwards of 25%.

by Anonymousreply 108June 5, 2020 6:25 PM

Biden was being generous. And seriously, why the fuck does anyone care about what he said? Biden is trying to attract swing voters, liberals, moderates, center-rightiwingers etc. NOT depolrables so it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 109June 5, 2020 6:28 PM

Hillary Clinton won the popular vote telling the truth about the Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 110June 5, 2020 8:56 PM

Meanwhile, Orange Julius says he thinks George Floyd is looking down and smiling at UNEMPLOYMENT NUMBERS.

by Anonymousreply 111June 5, 2020 9:07 PM

Will it be a hat trick since the last two candidates who stepped in it like this (Romney, Hillary) lost?

by Anonymousreply 112June 14, 2020 2:12 AM

R110 that and five bucks gets you a venti cappuccino

by Anonymousreply 113June 14, 2020 2:13 AM

Yes, R112.

by Anonymousreply 114June 14, 2020 2:15 AM

[quote] Will it be a hat trick since the last two candidates who stepped in it like this (Romney, Hillary) lost?

No one gives a fuck about this. None of this bullshit is sticking to Biden. Despite the continued efforts to make Biden Hillary and to make this 2016.

by Anonymousreply 115June 15, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote] Despite the continued efforts to make Biden Hillary and to make this 2016.

It's not something "bad" to be Hillary, R115.

by Anonymousreply 116June 15, 2020 10:32 PM

[quote] It's not something "bad" to be Hillary, [R115].

Attempting to make Biden a failure via erroneous comparisons to Hillary is "bad."

by Anonymousreply 117June 15, 2020 10:47 PM

I don't think this will affect him in the same way as Hillary, because he didn't point out a particular group like she did.

by Anonymousreply 118June 16, 2020 4:20 AM

Again, Hillary was not a "failure."

by Anonymousreply 119June 16, 2020 12:45 PM

No but she wasn't winner enough, either, and everybody knows why except a very stubborn collective of fantasists on DL. And probably her campaign team too.

by Anonymousreply 120June 16, 2020 2:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!