Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OMG I haven't seen Golden Girls in YEARS and it's suddenly playing on TV here in London.

It's an episode about their neighbors' failing marriage. Please tell me things get better. The whole episode seems to be based around these boring UNfunny cunts.

Do they feature over & over? Hope not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 5, 2020 2:08 AM

That was a backdoor pilot for 'Empty Nest.' The whole thing was overhauled by the time the spinoff aired the next season.

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2020 11:50 AM

Not a good example. Backdoor pilot, as R1 suggests. They never appear again. In Empty Nest, one of the GG spinoffs that mostly resembles this plot line, the wife is dead.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2020 11:55 AM

Right thank you, R1 & 2.

The "next episode" they go to Vegas or somewhere to see Burt Reynolds, doing what I'm not sure - but the magic prevails. Hurray!

Those gurls is GLAMOUROUS!

But they're running these in some weird order.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2020 12:01 PM

Poor Rita Moreno...she deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2020 12:02 PM

Do they ever re-air The Brighton Belles in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2020 12:04 PM

I don't think so R5.

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2020 12:05 PM

I wonder if Brighton Belles will ever pop up on the web.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2020 12:10 PM

They're not running them in order.

What a drag!

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2020 12:14 PM

I'm mystified why in was popular and no less by why it is still popular (except maybe that it's audience is not all dead, yet.)

Preachy, heavy-handed, predictable, not funny, And always a ridiculous plot as a sdistracting backdrop to some "magic" among the characters that was lost one me.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2020 12:17 PM

R9 typed that with his dick

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2020 12:18 PM

[quote]I wonder if Brighton Belles will ever pop up on the web.

I wonder this too...every day.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2020 12:18 PM

The only funny one amongst them is Wendy Craig (on left). No wonder it failed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2020 12:20 PM

I love it. The lesbian episode was on a few weeks back.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2020 1:07 PM

The Empty Nest backdoor pilot is considered the worst GG episode ever. Tediously unfunny, it comes off like it was written in about 10 minutes. It's pretty astounding that actors of that caliber never raised a hand to say "this sucks."

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2020 2:02 PM

[quote] Backdoor pilot,

You called?

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2020 2:05 PM

[quotee]The Empty Nest backdoor pilot is considered the worst GG episode ever. Tediously unfunny, it comes off like it was written in about 10 minutes. It's pretty astounding that actors of that caliber never raised a hand to say "this sucks."

How weird then, that this one is the one I should first see after all these years.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to follow it if they're going to be jumping around timewise. SO annoying.

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2020 2:25 PM

R16 There is zero continuity in The Golden Girls! That’s the beauty of it! You can watch the episodes in any order!

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2020 2:31 PM

What part did Wendy Craig play? Rose?

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2020 2:39 PM

OK, thanks, R17,

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2020 3:00 PM

[quote]What part did Wendy Craig play? Rose?

Did they get Butterflies in America?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2020 3:01 PM

I don't remember them.

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2020 3:03 PM

Rita Moreno deserved better. She's great, but you would never know it here. She got interviewed and said they kept changing her character up to the show date and she couldn't remember her lines.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2020 3:05 PM

I've never heard of Butterflies before, R20. On wikipedia it says there was a US pilot shot and aired in 1979, but it didn't get picked up for series.

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2020 3:08 PM

I thought they ran Butterflies on PBS in the 80s

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2020 3:17 PM

Thank you for being a friend, OP.

The Golden Girls is SO overrated on this site!

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2020 4:14 PM

I'm not knocking it, R25 - I came back and said the next episode they ran had the magic and after it was explained that this was an especially bad episode and why...which is more or less why I posted this thread. I couldn't work out why it was so bad.

I also enjoy people's love for the show on here, very much.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2020 4:23 PM

[quote]The lesbian episode was on a few weeks back.

We're not lesbians - we're IMAGE CONSULTANTS!

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2020 4:23 PM

R13 could be referring to Lebanese Jean.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2020 4:26 PM

I need another DL thread about Golden Girls like I need another Marvel movie. ENOUGH.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2020 5:04 PM

WHET Park Overall?

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2020 5:07 PM

R20 I remember watching Butterflies on PBS, I always thought the ginger on the left was cute.

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2020 5:47 PM

I know this is a Mary observation: Why was Rose never sitting on the center chair at the kitchen table? Everybody was sitting wherever the hell they wanted, but she was never sitting in the center. Was there something in White's contract to never show her from the front?

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2020 6:15 PM

Dorothy only ever sat in the middle, except when Blanche sat on the whoopee cushion.

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2020 6:16 PM

[quote]I know this is a Mary observation:

Nothing wrong with that. Gay observations matter.

by Anonymousreply 34June 5, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote]Preachy, heavy-handed, predictable, not funny, And always a ridiculous plot as a sdistracting backdrop to some "magic" among the characters that was lost one me.

Sounds like you're describing Designing Women. I never found Golden Girls to be preachy, save for an episode here and there (e.g., homeless episode). But DW seemed to have preachiness and schmaltz in every friggin' episode.

by Anonymousreply 35June 6, 2020 8:37 PM

Empty Nest.......wasn't an empty nest because the girls lived with dad.....that never made sense to me?? I did really enjoy the early seasons as a kid. I think it was on after TGGs here in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 36June 6, 2020 8:49 PM

R36 The girls were still on their own through much of the first season. They eventually moved back in by the end. of the season

by Anonymousreply 37June 6, 2020 10:04 PM

So, the show lost its premise pretty early on.

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2020 10:05 PM

The title was tongue in cheek. Not that hard to figure out.

by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2020 10:07 PM

Brighton Belles! Sheila Hancock emits total cunt vibes. Poor John Thaw.

by Anonymousreply 40June 7, 2020 2:23 PM

I watched a couple of episodes recently, and was depressed that I am almost their age at the beginning of the show. I was just a boy when I saw the same episodes for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 41June 7, 2020 2:26 PM

The lack of continuity is part of the charm of the GGs. It’s like the writers didn’t even consider the audience would follow the show closely when it aired originally, let alone during the decades-long love affair viewers would have with the show.

by Anonymousreply 42June 7, 2020 3:50 PM

R32 Rose sat in the middle chair during the finale! I’m a Mary for knowing this!

by Anonymousreply 43June 7, 2020 4:28 PM

Was there ever any consistency in how many kids/siblings the girls had? The seemed to have a never ending stream of relatives popping in for a short visit

by Anonymousreply 44June 7, 2020 4:31 PM

[quote] I’m a Mary for knowing this!

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with this. Marys matter!

by Anonymousreply 45June 7, 2020 4:38 PM

They have remade the show in various countries. According to Wikipedia the most successful one has been Israel, which is the only one to run for several seasons. It is called Bnot HaZahav. Below is the opening of the Dutch remake which looked fun. The girls seemed very active.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 7, 2020 5:21 PM

And we love you for it, r43!

by Anonymousreply 47June 7, 2020 6:05 PM

"we"?

by Anonymousreply 48June 7, 2020 6:31 PM

Did the girls ever see each other naked or admit to having any kind of sexual feelings for each other?

by Anonymousreply 49June 7, 2020 6:53 PM

R49, I think there was a very special episode where Rose admitted to Sophia that she "just loved to eat Sicilian clam, if you catch my drift".

Sophia, being the devout Catholic that she was, slapped Rose, told her she would burn in hell and force fed her a big Italian salami instead.

by Anonymousreply 50June 7, 2020 7:58 PM

No r50! Dorothy and Blanche walked in on Sofia sitting on Rose’s face! They splintered the wicker couch and Dorothy was so angry she shot the Chinese vase!

by Anonymousreply 51June 7, 2020 8:32 PM

Wendy Craig - Matron!

by Anonymousreply 52June 7, 2020 8:34 PM

No, Wendy Craig was NANNY.

80s gays should know this...the American 80s gays too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 7, 2020 8:42 PM

I'm glad you're serious about enjoying the Golden Girls, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 5, 2020 1:16 AM

r51 Good, I always hated that vase.

by Anonymousreply 55July 5, 2020 2:04 AM

Hey R54, I saw you in this episode of Princesses:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 5, 2020 2:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!