Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

31 Years Ago Today Tanks Rolled into Tiananmen Square

4 June 1989

That was the protest to end all protests. The Chinese people protested and camped out for weeks in Tiananmen Square. Democracy or at least some kind of compromise seemed in sight. The people erected a makeshift Statue of Liberty. And then on the 4th of June, the Chinese government ordered its military to massacre its people.

Who remembers watching? It went on for weeks. It was hopeful, joyful, tense, scary and ultimately tragic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2020 1:33 PM

1989 Tiananmen Square protests

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2020 5:29 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2020 5:30 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2020 5:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2020 5:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2020 5:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2020 5:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2020 5:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2020 5:35 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2020 5:38 AM

Thank you this should be an event noted on the level of 9/11, the fall of the Berlin Wall, etc. It isn't because China is a totalitarian communist country that smartly realized that being good capitalists washes away all sins.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2020 5:40 AM

I was thinking of all the protests happening in the U.S. this past week. I remembered that it was the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square protests and massacre. It was on television for nearly a couple of months. I have visited China and Tiananmen Square. It would never happen again. There are a massive--and I mean massive--amount of surveillance cameras everywhere in the Square which is so huge; it goes one forever, you can hardly call it a square. Sadly, the Chinese government has tried its best to rewrite history, and today's generation barely knows anything about the protests and the government slaughtering its own people.

And today, the Chinese government is crushing the people of Hong Kong and their desire to be free..

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2020 5:49 AM

OP, I think it is great that you are remembering your own history! Chinese history is amazing just as many other countries! “If you don’t know where you come from, you wont know where you’re going”

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2020 6:17 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2020 6:24 AM

R12. Oh, I'm not Chinese. I'm just your typical Greek-American white boy. I have always been fascinated by the Tiananmen Square protests. It was unbelievable, compelling TV when it aired in 1989. In 2013, I visited China. When I was in Beijing, I just had to see Tiananmen Square. I couldn't believe the size; it was massive. There were cameras everywhere. China may welcome capitalism now; however, it does not welcome democracy. The people are still closely watched, and I remember the Internet kept cutting out. Lots of censuring the airwaves still goes on.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2020 6:26 AM

This year, tanks will roll into Lafayette Park in DC! Hoorah for dictatorships!

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2020 1:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!