Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Visible Out On Television

I love posting outrageous and crude bitchery on DL, but I want to be serious for a moment. I just got a new phone, and with it came a free year of AppleTV+, so I sat down and watched the first episode of Visible Out On Television. It's a five-part documentary about the history of LGBTQ+ representation through the history of television. I started crying half-way through the first episode -Tears of anger, grief, frustration, joy, pride... Pretty much every emotion, but elevated. And I kept crying all the way through to the end. I forced myself to watch only one episode a day, as I didn't want to overwhelm myself any more than I already was. I was a child of the late 60s and early 70s -I remembered nearly every series, character, and event that was portrayed. As a transformational viewing event, this was right up there with seeing the original cast of the Laramie Project live onstage. I want to talk about this, but none of my friends have AppleTV+. So, for those of you who have seen it, what are your thoughts? For those of you who have access, I hope you'll watch it. Especially younger people who may not have learned this part of our history.

PS -I did several searches to see if a similar thread was already up, but I couldn't find one. Mea culpa and all that if I missed something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2020 3:15 AM

I don’t have it, but I am in desperate need of a new iPhone so I may just get the chance to catch it if I go that route. For those who don’t have it and for you to explore your interest further I’ll mention a Youtuber by the name of Matt Baume who is a writer and I guess critic who does LGBT+ explorations in culture and history with a big focus on TV.

He takes ground breaking episodes that has gay content and really does a very impressive deep dive into the background and the social history context about what impact, good or bad the show had. Some episodes cover All in the Family, Cheers, Frazier, Golden Girls, Married with Children and others. He also explores other topics such as just having done one about The Queen documentary that everyone was talking about. He does fun live chats while gaming too and if you can you can donate to his Patreon to support his ongoing efforts. He’s a little campy and always fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2020 4:18 AM

Do they cover Hot L Baltimore? That forgotten sitcom had one of the first gay couples on TV.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2020 4:24 AM

Hot l Baltimore cast. Show was produced by Norman Lear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2020 4:26 AM

I loved Hot L Baltimore when I was a young gayling and was sorry it didn't last longer

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2020 4:29 AM

No Hot L Baltimore or Real O'Neils. Lots of discussion about the first gay characters, implied and explicit, and how they were portrayed. Norman Lear was represented by All in the Family and The Jeffersons.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2020 4:41 AM

OP I shall get it, on your recommendation. Just know, if it is bad, I shall find you, and destroy you.

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2020 4:57 AM

[R6], if you're truly disappointed I promise this total top will bend over and present hole.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2020 4:59 AM

There is another thread about this

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2020 5:07 AM

Link or it didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2020 5:13 AM

[quote]There is another thread about this

The search function is SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2020 5:16 AM

R4 You're lucky you got to see it. I've never been able to find anything more than a tv commercial online.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2020 12:15 PM

I have vague memories of Hot L Baltimore from my youth. I remember it was considered very risqué at that time, but I suspect it would be horribly tame and dated today.

by Anonymousreply 12June 6, 2020 5:11 AM

I just remember the play at a local theater.... was it Neil Simon?

by Anonymousreply 13June 6, 2020 9:11 AM

The original play was written by Lanford Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 14June 6, 2020 5:19 PM

R1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2020 9:43 PM

Thanks for sharing that, [R15]! Great video!

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2020 12:06 AM

OP, you shit on us and want us to applaud you for weeping at a video about how hard things have been for gay people?

Well, boo hoo, bitch. "Hypocrite." I know it's three syllables so you'll have to look it up in a dictionary. Look "dictionary" up, too if you need to.

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2020 12:17 AM

And just HOW have I shit on you??

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2020 12:22 AM

Matt Baume discussing a QAF episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2020 1:57 AM

Did Sylvia and Marsha star in the first gay sitcom?

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2020 2:02 AM

I remember Garrett Glaser from Entertainment Tonight and was shocked when he later appeared on the show "In The Life" in the 80's.

At the time he was one of the first gay reporters to publicly come out about his sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2020 3:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!