Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Would you like to have missed the past 75 days? Perhaps then Buddhism is for you!

Man exits 75 days of silent retreat and reintegrates. I couldn’t even imagine how to process it all: the virus, the protests, the absolute change from what we were concerned about at the beginning of March to what is consuming everyone’s attention now (no, I’m not talking about Meghan, Kylie, or any of that BS)

Would anyone else want to experience this? COULD any DL’er ever attempt it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2020 4:57 AM

Congratulations to whoever wrote that article title, I literally busted out laughing.

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2020 3:45 AM

I love the idea, but who can afford to do that?

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2020 3:47 AM

Daniel is ready for his close-up:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2020 3:48 AM

I’ve been a Buddhist. It’s a lot of meditation and a lot of denial. No attachments, no possessions are the goal as these cause suffering according to them. In my mind these contacts and things that make me happy are a reason to stay. No thanks to Buddhism. You look cook in theory but no.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2020 3:48 AM

Buddhism is rich people bullshit. Founded by the original douchey rich kid philosopher.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2020 3:55 AM

Buddhism as actually practiced in East Asia isn’t that demanding. About as demanding as mainline protestantism.

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2020 3:59 AM

I’ve been doing the same thing in my 300 sq ft studio apartment. Do iiiii get an article ?

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2020 4:36 AM

OP here. I’m glad the title made laughter.

I just thought it was an interesting idea, regardless of the buddhist angle. But I am interested in the thought of douchey western round eyes taking a simple practice and making it not only intricate and complicated, but expensive to accessorize

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2020 4:36 AM

R7 I dunno... how fuckable are you in an orange sarong?

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2020 4:41 AM

I would love that.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2020 4:43 AM

Jesus what unimaginable privilege to just disappear and reappear in a New York times article.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2020 4:44 AM

R11 at what point are you willing to give up your chief complaint that others have privilege? It’s one thing for some to have privilege others don’t because of the race, nationality, etc.

But this guy is pursuing a goal in becoming a Buddhist. Do you complain about the frau who was privileged enough to go off to Thailand and study so she can return to be your yoga instructor?

Or the wistless barista that makes your latte at Starbucks. How privileged he must be to be one of those people without a care in the world and comfortable to live on a pauper’s minimum wage.

All too often I think what an elder(gay) DL’er used to call “lucky” is now this Scarlet Letter called “privilege.” But it’s not always a zero sum game. Why shouldn’t someone be able to pursue their passion, if it’s not at someone else’s expense?

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2020 4:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!