Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New suspect identified in 2007 disappearance of Madeleine McCann

The new suspect is a 43-year-old German man, authorities from both countries said. The suspect has previously been convicted for sexually abusing children, German State Prosecutor's office of Braunschweig, State of Lower-Saxony said in a statement on Wednesday, which added that he is currently serving a "long" jail sentence "for an unrelated matter."

He is now being investigated for "possible murder" in connection with McCann, the office said.

The suspect had lived in Portugal's Algarve region from 1995 to 2007, and also resided in a house in Praia de Luz, the resort from which McCann disappeared, according to the prosecutor's office.

by Anonymousreply 25December 25, 2020 10:19 PM

That poor little girl.

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2020 11:45 PM

Here's a link at NBC News

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2020 11:47 PM

Finally.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2020 11:51 PM

I still think parents accidentally killed her

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2020 11:54 PM

Wow, this is an interesting turn of events.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2020 12:12 AM

I'm generally pretty sceptical when the press report about the McCann case. It's so well known that it serves as excellent clickbait, which means newspapers will run with the slightest hint of a story. This time, however, it feels different.

I never believed Kate or Gerry killed her. I think they just weren't particularly caring parents, and they prioritised themselves over their daughter before and after her disappearance (even to the point of taking thousands of pounds from the Find Madeleine fund to pay their mortgage). The public picked up on their behaviour and became suspicious of them. But the world isn't neatly divided into good parents and child murderers.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2020 12:25 AM

Wait a minute. I thought Katie Perry was Madeline McCann.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2020 12:27 AM

Can’t the parents do a 23 and me and hope that every white girl in the world also takes one and they can find a match if she is alive?

by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2020 12:52 AM

Her parents didn’t do it.

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2020 1:00 AM

It took them THIS LONG? Unless they have DNA evidence or something equally compelling, I’m skeptical.

by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2020 1:32 AM

And the parents are still to blame, for leaving those children alone. Who the fuck does that?

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2020 1:33 AM

So we may have finally found the dingo that ate the baby?

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2020 1:33 AM

Oh, for heaven's sake. The founders always intended a kid or two wouldn't make it to adulthood and nobody batted an eye. Everybody's so soft these days.

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2020 2:13 PM

Still not understanding why this guy? Was there a dna match? I still don’t trust the parents they lied about lots to try and cover the fact they were selfish, neglectful parents.

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2020 2:21 PM

R14 he talked about killing her on a chatroom and in a pub with a friend.

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2020 2:01 AM

From the article at OP: "German police released a statement that said that the man — who is currently imprisoned in that country on unrelated offences — has a number of convictions for child sexual abuse".

A ((((number)))) of convictions for child sexual abuse? Well, there's the problem.

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2020 3:03 AM

Is British taxpayer money still being spent on this investigation? Haven't they already spent £11 million looking for the girl?

Obviously if Madeleine had been a teenaged boy or working class or not white, the investigation would have been abandoned 14 years ago. But she's a blond white girl from a well-to-do family and all the stupid celebs in Britain got involved in the "Find our Maddie" money grubbing campaign, so I guess the vile parents can keep milking the sucker dry.

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2020 6:09 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2020 3:53 AM

R15 that's it? We're just going by what he said in a chatroom?

Remember years ago there was that one creep who bragged about killing JonBenet (kisses, R13!) only for it to turn out to be a false confession?

I'm with R4. Occam's razor says that the parents (both medical doctors) wanted some time away from their sprogs but didn't want the hassle of securing a babysitter, so they decided to sedate them with medication instead, and accidentally overdosed poor Maddie.

Being affluent and well-connected meant they were able to find other willing conspirators to assist them with the disposal of the body.

by Anonymousreply 19June 10, 2020 4:46 AM

This was probably the same bogus JonBenet Ramsey suspect. They want this case solved by any means necessary.

by Anonymousreply 20August 5, 2020 6:42 AM

The Netflix special let the parents off the hook way too easily. Sorry but when a cadaver dog alerts it means there was a dead body.

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2020 12:34 AM

I wonder how much money has been made from the McCann case - the amount of newspapers sold in the print era , or clicks in the internet age. It's been a mini-industry.

by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2020 12:39 AM

R19 doesn't understand Occam's razor.

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2020 12:42 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 25, 2020 10:07 PM

R13, After he confessed, He flew in first class and ate shrimp scampi! Live film at 11.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 25, 2020 10:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!