Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Prediction: Trump will be removed from office very shortly.

I think June 1, 2020 will be akin to Dec. 7, 1941. Has anyone noticed that there’s been almost no reaction from ether Dem or GOP Senators/Reps to Trumps threat to take military action against US citizens? A couple stray Tweets, but that’s it. Nancy Pelosi hasn’t Tweeted in hours. I have a strong hunch that a deal to force Trump from office is in the works.

by Anonymousreply 600June 29, 2020 3:47 PM

I wish!!

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2020 2:59 AM

by bullet hopefully....

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2020 3:00 AM

I very much doubt it. I don't see any signs that is core supporters or henchmen are abandoning ship.

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2020 3:01 AM

Tomorrow he will pretend he never said it. You watch.

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2020 3:04 AM

No R2

He needs to be gone now, but I don’t want him to be a martyr. The media will give him the obituary he doesn’t deserve, and he deplorables will rally around his death and we’d have President Pence for four years.

He’ll die by stroke soon.

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2020 3:04 AM

Rolls eyes at Op

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2020 3:05 AM

Nah, his people love him more than ever now. "YEAHHH, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT - now I can REALLY use those guns I've been so worried about! Fuck yeh, 'Merica, man, we're kicking ass. Let's TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY"

Fucking asshole worshippers

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2020 3:06 AM

I can't bear to watch the presser or the absurd church stunt.

I did hear Ivanka was wearing a mask...which is curious. Were all of the other usual suspects there? Pence? Mnuchin? Pompeo?

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2020 3:07 AM

Oh don’t tease me! I wish

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2020 3:08 AM

He's not going to die or leave office anytime soon. He still has his core support of around 45% of the populace. All he has to do is inch out victories in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Florida and he'll win again. If he wasn't such a fucking incompetent, he'd be cruising to re-election right now on a law and order platform.

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2020 3:08 AM

That 40+ percentage is a fucking lie. Artificially inflated just like the inflated stock market. Real numbers are in the 30s now.

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2020 3:11 AM

He lost a shit ton of support tonight. There are a lot of Christians and military people that are angry about this easy slide into authoritarian rule.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2020 3:13 AM

Poor OP is clueless. That will not happen.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2020 3:14 AM

If Trump was truly in the 30s, the Repubs would be smart to get rid of him and put up another candidate. Because, he'd lose the WH and the Senate both. The day I believe he's that low is when the Repubs turn on him. Right now they're still kissing his fat ass.

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2020 3:16 AM

R13, not for one second do I believe that.

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2020 3:17 AM

R15: Actually, they have been very quiet...

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2020 3:18 AM

From George Will

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2020 3:24 AM

I'm praying OP is correct!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2020 3:26 AM

More True Believer talk from the unicorns and leprechauns who brought you “impeach him — that will remove him from office immediately or at least totally discredit him!”

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2020 3:26 AM

If the OP was The Oracle, I may have hope in this prediction, but otherwise, nope😔

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2020 3:29 AM

[quote] That 40+ percentage is a fucking lie. Artificially inflated just like the inflated stock market. Real numbers are in the 30s now.

No. 43% is probably accurate but that is only a winning number with Russian interference, voter suppression and low voter turnout. An Obama level voter turnout would decimate Trump. That is why voter turnout is so important -- he never would have won if Hillary got out the vote.

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2020 3:29 AM

OP is on to something. I was stunned that there were no heavy hitters on Maddow tonight of all nights. Something is up...and I feel like it’s something good, at last. Trump is tanking in the polls and taking the Senate with him. He spent an hour today insulting all the nation’s governors. And then, cherry on the sundae, he fired at peaceful protesters and turned the military against US citizens without, apparently, consulting anyone outside of his small, sick circle. I don’t think it’s far fetched that there some negotiation going on to boot him.

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2020 3:32 AM

R23: but how?

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2020 3:34 AM

Establishment Republicans are figuring out that the alt-right, neo-nazi, white militia nutjobs are basically anarchists that cannot be controlled. They will not support an oligarchy. Trump can incite them but he can't control them. Government will be in ruins if they get their race war -- no economy, no law, no order and completely at the mercy of our foreign adversaries.

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2020 3:36 AM

These are fantasies. I DO believe tonight is the beginning of the end of his administration, but it will be through the good ol fashioned ballot box.

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2020 3:37 AM

Don't forget we're in the middle of a fucking pandemic, r25!

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2020 3:37 AM

Who's the "they" that gets him to leave? Everyone in his cabinet is a lackey. They could declare him mentally incompetent tomorrow but they won't.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2020 3:43 AM

I think it was Napoleon who said, “When your enemy is destroying himself, resist the urge to help.”

Trump is self destructing and even his enablers are going to jump ship and look to the next likely candidate in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2020 3:44 AM

Robert Costa said Republicans are distressed about what Trump said and did today, but too afraid to speak out publicly against him. What a bunch of fucking wimps!!!

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2020 3:49 AM

[quote]A political party’s primary function is to bestow its imprimatur on candidates, thereby proclaiming: This is who we are. In 2016, the Republican Party gave its principal nomination to a vulgarian and then toiled to elect him. And to stock Congress with invertebrates whose unswerving abjectness has enabled his institutional vandalism, who have voiced no serious objections to his Niagara of lies ..

From the George Will column mentioned above, in WaPo. Stalwart conservative George Fucking Will no less—on why trump,s congressional enablers have to go, as well.

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2020 3:51 AM

Removed BY WHOM oh wise won?

The Senate won’t even hold a trial. His cabinet are a bunch of ignorant yes-men with no sense of duty to the country.

And Dorothy isn’t going to drop a house on him.

We have to wait until November and vote.

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2020 3:51 AM

God damn it! Wise ONE. Wise ONE!

Now my entire post is ruined. This is why I can’t have nice things!!

*flounces out sobbing*

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2020 3:54 AM

I haven't seen anyone on Facebook post about this. I post anonymously on Twitter, so I have known about this since the minute it happened

A lot of shit trump has done is alarming, but by the time the idiot members of society read about it, the media has toned it down

by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2020 4:00 AM

(CNN)Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker on Monday excoriated President Donald Trump's "bitterness, combativeness and self-interest" as nationwide protests have intensified over the death of George Floyd.

The Republican governor made the comments at a press conference when asked about Trump's video teleconference call, in which the President urged state leaders to aggressively target violent protesters. The call came after nearly a week of protests across the country that at times have turned violent over the death of Floyd, a 46-year-old African American man who died at the hands of a police officer in Minneapolis. "I heard what the President said today about dominating and fighting. I know I should be surprised when I hear incendiary words like this from him, but I'm not," Baker told reporters. "At so many times during these past several weeks when the country needed compassion and leadership the most, it was simply nowhere to be found." Instead, he continued, "we got bitterness, combativeness and self-interest. That's not what we need in Boston, it's not what we need right now in Massachusetts and it's definitely not what we need across this great country of ours either." The President's hardline message to governors comes as he and his advisers continue to debate the wisdom of a national address following the protests, one of which took place outside the White House and led him and his family to retreat to an underground bunker on Friday night. "You have to dominate or you'll look like a bunch of jerks, you have to arrest and try people," the President told the governors in a call from the basement White House Situation Room, according to an audio recording of the call obtained by CNN. Baker, a frequent critic of the President, struck a different tone earlier Monday in a statement praising "the powerful statement" that peaceful protestors made in Boston. "The murder of George Floyd at the hands of police was a horrible tragedy -- one of countless tragedies to befall people of color across the United States. The vast majority of protesters today did so peacefully, toward a common goal of promoting justice and equality," he said. "I am deeply thankful for their voices and their positive, forceful message. I also want to express my gratitude to all the police officers and other first responders working to protect the people of Boston from the individuals whose violent actions, looting and property destruction was criminal and cowardly -- and distracted from the powerful statement made today by thousands of Massachusetts residents."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2020 4:18 AM

Not happening, and what's worse, he could still actually win in November. This fucking stupid country never ceases to amaze me.

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2020 4:32 AM

R36: If he wins, it was stolen - again.

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2020 4:33 AM

Well with what they're trying to do about mail in voting, it probably will be easily stolen this time.

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2020 4:34 AM

The only people that could remove him are his cabinet, but they are all lackeys who are in the tank with him for $$$. Some Republicans have expressed “concerns” but no one will pressure him. I am already convinced they will steal the election in November.

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2020 4:40 AM

Charlie Baker is the most popular governor in America, I believe.

He is the Republican governor of Massachusetts. His well-chosen words are going a long way tonight.

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2020 4:43 AM

Sorry but they gave him a pass for treason. We are stuck with his fat ass. I was hoping someone would take him out when he was on the sidewalk today. He really is an enemy.

by Anonymousreply 41June 2, 2020 4:46 AM

Miss Lindsey Graham Cracker very quiet these days. Maybe OP is on to something.

by Anonymousreply 42June 2, 2020 5:07 AM

The people more level headed than I am seem to have the same question: Mango Mussolini has the support of about 35% of the population but does it have enough support from people who can--and WILL--carry out it's wishes. Yeah, the iii%ers cosplay tough, but that's because they are actually losers in real life. Can they come through in the clutch.

by Anonymousreply 43June 2, 2020 10:58 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2020 11:03 AM

[quote]*flounces out sobbing* —TheNiceOne

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 45June 2, 2020 11:12 AM

These riots have been the dream of the left since the day after the election.

by Anonymousreply 46June 2, 2020 11:15 AM

Fuck off pig. Nobody dreams of riots but you hire an incompetent con man for the most powerful job in the world, and this is what happens.

by Anonymousreply 47June 2, 2020 11:22 AM

I want him to be voted out in the landslide he deserves. And I hope he consents to the whole spectacle of the peaceful transition of power and carries on like the asshole that he will always be.

There’s no rehabilitating this broken toy. He and his legacy will haunt us for decades, but he won’t always be in power. He’ll probably be in jail.

by Anonymousreply 48June 2, 2020 11:24 AM

[quote]He is the Republican governor of Massachusetts. His well-chosen words are going a long way tonight.

Refusing to be part of GOP would go a lot longer.

by Anonymousreply 49June 2, 2020 11:42 AM

I hope that OP is right; I really don't know how much more of this shit show the country can take, let alone 5 more months of escalating anarchy by the president, of all people.

I've read dire predictions before about Dump's imminent demise, which always seem like magical thinking, but it is curious that: 1. Nancy, Chuck or any of the usual suspects weren't all over the airwaves condemning this stunt 2. No sign of Pence or Mother during last night's sashay to the church 3. Dump's lap dog Mizz Lindsay has been noticeably quiet.

by Anonymousreply 50June 2, 2020 12:04 PM

From yaw mouth ta God’s ears, bubby.

by Anonymousreply 51June 2, 2020 12:05 PM

Susie Collins hasn't even talked about how deeply concerned she is.

by Anonymousreply 52June 2, 2020 12:06 PM

The people who could and should remove him have either been paid off or have no backbone. We are stuck with him for the rest of the year. The upside to this is that it makes all the republicans up for reelection look bad and it lessens the chances of the vulnerable ones less likely to be reelected.

by Anonymousreply 53June 2, 2020 12:08 PM

Nope. Escalation. Trump rallying his boys to come out with weapons, then troops to restore order. False flag attacks on government installations. Martial law. Suspension oh [iitalic]habeas corpus[/italic]. We're in for a real shit show.

by Anonymousreply 54June 2, 2020 12:15 PM

Does anyone see how Orangutan is spinning the media so it is all about him - again?

by Anonymousreply 55June 2, 2020 12:17 PM

[Quote] No sign of Pence or Mother during last night's sashay to the church

Is that what this is about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 2, 2020 12:18 PM

Nobody is engineering his exit. They're just covering their own asses by distancing themselves.

But believe whatever gets you through the day, OP.

by Anonymousreply 57June 2, 2020 12:33 PM

OP you're mistaking that deafening silence for a brewing conspiracy when really it's just the sound of cowardice.

"They" will do nothing. "They" have had four years to do something.

And anyone who thinks there will be elections in November is engaging in magical thinking. This is the GOP's Reichstag Fire moment. R54 is right.

by Anonymousreply 58June 2, 2020 12:34 PM

guffaws at OP

by Anonymousreply 59June 2, 2020 12:38 PM

These fantasies about Trump being forced out, arrested and jailed are so tiresome now. After all these years, why would anyone think "Trump's gonna be gone any day now"?

I also don't think the "stop even talking about elections because they're not going to happen" talk is helpful, either. Sounds like just another "can't win, don't try, stop even wanting to vote because it won't matter, just accept your fate" and that's as big a pile of bullshit as "Trump's being secretly forced out of office."

by Anonymousreply 60June 2, 2020 12:38 PM

"Trump demands loyalty from Republicans and has dressed down those who have criticized his tone too sharply. So many are sticking with him or staying away from the topic altogether."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 2, 2020 12:40 PM

No OP and the GOP will not take action. A few will criticize and that’s about it. The base of the GOP is more or less just like him.

by Anonymousreply 62June 2, 2020 12:44 PM

[quote]Establishment Republicans are figuring out that the alt-right, neo-nazi, white militia nutjobs are basically anarchists that cannot be controlled.

Very true, and it's just like them to have already forgotten that they already learned this lesson once, with the Teapartiers. Trump tries to keep them under control with various Deep State Q-Anon hints on Twitter but it hasn't been getting the kind of results he expected. Same with the weird power flex 'n' religion show he tried to pull yesterday, too many of his base were confused by it, especially after being embarrassed about their manly president being a bunker bitch.

Right now it's mayors and governors who are speaking out, as they should, as well as Biden showing that he's listening to the protesters. Republican senators are just hoping this goes away and quietly approving nearly 200 far-right federal judges, which is why we're not hearing from them, and Democratic senators are letting Trump ruin himself with his own actions and words.

It's a mistake to think that we're not hearing from Democratic senators because they're cowards who are just going to let Trump cancel the elections.

by Anonymousreply 63June 2, 2020 12:47 PM

[quote] The people who could and should remove him have either been paid off or have no backbone.

Exactly. They literally trailed him as he walked to church. No one is going to remove Trump. The Republicans will stay silent and hope to ride it out. It's a volatile situation and I think the Democrats have decided to let local officials, including governors, speak. It's not a bad strategy.

by Anonymousreply 64June 2, 2020 1:13 PM

The Republican Senate is busy confirming more crazy, right-wing Judges. It's all they care about.

by Anonymousreply 65June 2, 2020 1:30 PM

Each time Daddy infuriates us we gather in a kum-ba-yah circle in our pussyhats and sob uncontrollably, certain that this time will be IT.

by Anonymousreply 66June 2, 2020 1:35 PM

Joe Biden is going to be speaking in Philadelphia in a few minutes. At least MSNBC is going to be carrying it, for a change.

by Anonymousreply 67June 2, 2020 1:52 PM

[quote] Each time Daddy infuriates us we gather in a kum-ba-yah circle in our pussyhats and sob uncontrollably, certain that this time will be IT.

No, this time we’re protesting in the streets

You really should pay better attention

by Anonymousreply 68June 2, 2020 2:08 PM

[quote] I also don't think the "stop even talking about elections because they're not going to happen" talk is helpful, either. Sounds like just another "can't win, don't try, stop even wanting to vote because it won't matter, just accept your fate"

That's not how I feel at all. Of course we should still vote at every opportunity, because that's our only hope. I just don't want to see the media, the twittersphere, the pundits, the op-eds, ad nauseam acting all SURPRISED if elections are suspended. As if no one could have imagined such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 69June 2, 2020 2:08 PM

Morning Consult national poll, May 31-June1, in Trump’s handling of protest:

all adults 20% excellent/good 54% only fair/poor

age 18-34 16%-57%

age 65+ 28%-50%

independents 11%-53%

whites 21%-50%

blacks 11%-77%

Hispanics 13%-54%

evangelical Christians 27%-43%

suburban women 15%-58%

non-college whites 22%-45%

college whites 19%-61%

Trump 2016 voters 43%-23%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 2, 2020 2:11 PM

A president does not have there authority to suspend an election. And there is an entire Democratic Party and an entire nation of Democrats that would fight like fuck to make sure that would not happen, if such an attempt were tried, and would rise up against that.

People need to stop thinking that the United States is Hong Kong and Trump is China.

by Anonymousreply 71June 2, 2020 2:12 PM

Anybody ask Susan Sarandon how she thinks the revolution is going?

by Anonymousreply 72June 2, 2020 2:16 PM

As much as I would like to see the orange one out, if he is removed, there is going to be much more violent confrontation in the streets. It's already tense with protests, but removing him will drive his idiot supporters into open, ARMED conflict with the protesters and law enforcement.

It's already going to be a volatile situation when he loses the election.

It's a powder keg right now and removing cheeto will be the spark that could drop us into a period of violent riots. I'd be terrified that Pence would opt for martial law and open military intervention.

by Anonymousreply 73June 2, 2020 2:33 PM

WHO would be removing him? His lackeys the GOP, which make up the majority of Congress? FFS. They wouldn't remove him from office after the Mueller report and impeachment over Ukraine.

Jesus Christ, stop wasting your time with these nonsense fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 74June 2, 2020 2:39 PM

Prediction, his poll number rise as gullible white people give him credit for “stopping the riots”. I hate this country right now.

by Anonymousreply 75June 2, 2020 2:42 PM

Is the OP - Marie's Table from YouTube lol?

by Anonymousreply 76June 2, 2020 2:44 PM

We have our first break.

Tim Scott, the only black Republican in the Senate (and possibly all of Congress) stated that gassing people yesterday was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 77June 2, 2020 2:46 PM

"Anybody ask Susan Sarandon how she thinks the revolution is going?"

She hightailed it out of the US and is at her hideaway in Switzerland. She sends her best.

by Anonymousreply 78June 2, 2020 2:48 PM

I don't think there's any realistic prospect they will remove him.

I do think the silence might be more than just hiding. Discussions might be ongoing between the two sides?

by Anonymousreply 79June 2, 2020 2:57 PM

"Discussions might be ongoing between the two sides?"

Oh, brother. More magical thinking.

by Anonymousreply 80June 2, 2020 3:00 PM

I know, I know... I just struggle to wholly accept it is impossible there isn't a point even for useless Collins and Murkowski etc. I know it's magical thinking but to completely abandon hope is hard to think about.

by Anonymousreply 81June 2, 2020 3:03 PM

“They” are not going to do a damn thing toward removing him from office. His hard-core 35 percent would make sure that anyone who had a hand in removing him or condoning it would pay a heavy price. They are fanatical nuts. Glance at any RWNJ Twitter account. They are still fantasizing about imprisoning Obama — any day now — for unspecified crimes.

No. We have one chance left to remove this cancer on the body politic.

by Anonymousreply 82June 2, 2020 3:04 PM

R77 Can't wait for the NYT's "profile of both sides" on that issue!

by Anonymousreply 83June 2, 2020 3:05 PM

R81, not indulging in magical thinking doesn't mean giving up hope.

by Anonymousreply 84June 2, 2020 3:19 PM

We have our first break.

Tim Scott, the only black Republican in the Senate (and possibly all of Congress) stated that gassing people yesterday was wrong.

Well, we've got another one; Ben "Profile in Cowardice" Sasse said something similar, though he's always trying to play both sides of the fence. I kind of expected something out of Mittens - he's already persona non grata with the repigs, so he may as well go for broke & point out the obvious about Dump's pathetic little stunt.

by Anonymousreply 85June 2, 2020 4:05 PM

And Susan Collins sits her Frowning Chamber.

by Anonymousreply 86June 2, 2020 4:06 PM

from CNN... Top Republican senators defended the move to use force to clear out peaceful protesters near the White House in order for President Donald Trump to pose with a Bible in front of a church amid the continued unrest in the United States.

Sen. John Cornyn, a member of the GOP leadership team, said the protesters had to be cleared out "for security purposes" since Trump was "walking over to the church" and they were asked to clear "but refused to do so."

"So obviously, it was a necessary security measure," Cornyn told CNN. Cornyn rejected the notion that they were acting peacefully since they can't "ignore what law enforcement officers are telling them to do for the security of the president or anybody else."

Asked if the President should have gone to the church for a photo-op that led to tear gas and other measures to be used on the protesters, Cornyn criticized the media and others who are "never going to find any good or any positive development in anything. So you can characterize it the way you want, but obviously the President is free to go where he wants and to hold up a Bible if he wants," calling it a "civil message."

Sen. Chuck Grassley, the most senior Republican in the Senate, told CNN that peaceful protesters have the right to demonstrate but he didn't know the extent to which the "police might expect violence from some of the people -- maybe 5% of the people -- and that could be a potential problem, the answer would be, it's OK" to clear them out with force.

Grassley defended Trump's move to go to St. John's Church, citing the fire that protesters set to the church's premises the night before.

"We expect leadership from our president and particularly in times like this," Grassley said Tuesday. "And I think that when there was destruction to a church or any other historical thing that America would put great confidence in that should not be destroyed, I think a president ought to bring attention to that terrorist activity, and go there and do ... what he did last night."

Asked about the fact that the protesters were acting peacefully, Grassley said: "It's all assumed to be peaceful until someone that's got a terrorist activity or a rioting activity, you don't know that until it happens. So I don't know if they could have known that."

The GOP reaction diverges sharply from Democrats who liken his move to clear out protestors with force in order to hold a photo-op to being a "dictator," with House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer saying it's an "action worthy and appropriate to censure and criticize."

Peaceful protesters just outside the White House gates were dispersed with tear gas, flash grenades and rubber bullets ahead of Trump's remarks and trip to the church.

Senate Judiciary Chairman Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican and close ally of Trump's, seemed to question the need for Trump to have a photo-op in front of the church -- and said the events in New York and other cities was "pretty disturbing" and "we need to get a grip on order" to deal with the "underlying issue" that resulted in the death of George Floyd.

"Well, I don't know what the point was," Graham said of the photo-op. "I guess he's trying to say we're reclaiming the church. But the point is that we need to focus on what happened to Mr. Floyd, it's a systematic problem, but you can't do that until you get order."

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican who rarely voices public objection to Trump's actions, was silent and declined to comment when asked by CNN his reaction to police clearing out peaceful protesters.

GOP Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas released a statement Tuesday morning citing violence against law enforcement officers "who weren't given the support they deserve to restore order."

"The only way to end this insurrection is the overwhelming display of force," Cotton said.

This story has been updated with additional developments Tuesday.CNN's Kevin Liptak and Cat Gloria contributed to this report.

by Anonymousreply 87June 2, 2020 4:44 PM

Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., on the president’s photo op at St. John’s last night: “Didn’t really see it.”

Sen. Kelly Loeffler, R-Ga., does not respond when asked if what the president did last night was appropriate. Her spokesman handed me his card.

Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan. “I don’t have any comment on that.”

Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla., does stop to talk and says “we all could” do better when asked if POTUS could do better.

Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah. “I didn’t watch it closely enough to know.”

Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wyo.: “Sorry, I’m late for lunch.”

Sen. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., walks by without saying anything.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska: What we saw last night “was not the America that I know.”

Sen. Dan Sullivan, R-Alaska: Walks by with no response.

Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio: “I’m late for lunch.”

Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., doesn’t stop at cameras here on the Hill. Told reporters he’s already “said too much,”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 2, 2020 5:29 PM

[quote] "The only way to end this insurrection is the overwhelming display of force," Cotton said.

Tom Cotton is a sniveling, sycophantic, rat-faced, closet-case fascist.

Cornyn is an idiot. Grassley is a senile old fool.

The rest of them are cowards.

by Anonymousreply 89June 2, 2020 5:30 PM

Hope dies last.

by Anonymousreply 90June 2, 2020 5:36 PM

"Well, I don't know what the point was," Graham said of the photo-op. "I guess he's trying to say we're reclaiming the church. But the point is that we need to focus on what happened to Mr. Floyd, it's a systematic problem, but you can't do that until you get order."

Say what? could it be that Dumpie's favorite lickspittle might be just a teeensssy bit worried about his re-election prospects that he didn't vigorously defend Dump?

by Anonymousreply 91June 2, 2020 5:56 PM

Sen. Steve Daines, R-Mont.: “I was grateful for the president’s leadership.” Says George Floyd was murdered but looting is not acceptable.

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, when asked if what we saw at the White House last night was an abuse of power: “By the protestors, yes.”

Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La.: “I didn’t follow, I’m sorry.”

by Anonymousreply 92June 2, 2020 6:01 PM

If all these politicians weigh in about how Floyd was murdered, I can see the case against Chauvin getting harder to prosecute. And if Dump pulls a Nixon (re: Manson trial), and Chauvin is let off--the country will be in flames. And that can only help Dump. I'm sure he knows this.

I think the possibility that Chauvin will be convicted is strong, though. No one wants to see their cities burn again, because of this low-rent, murdering cop.

by Anonymousreply 93June 2, 2020 6:12 PM

Stay overconfident for Trump, r10.

The Republican base is really about 35% and Trump is now losing to Biden by 8% to 10% — bigger margins than Obama's victories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 2, 2020 6:18 PM

To have this murder trial completed in five months would be extraordinarily fast. Especially if AG Ellison adds more charges or ups the existing ones. Criminal cases like this take a lot of time. The investigation alone will take at the very least several more weeks.

And trust me, the Governor and the AG are well aware of how a not guilty verdict in favor of this murdering POS could set the country on fire in the fall, especially before the election while tRump is in office. To the extent that they can legally delay it — with due consideration for the defendant’s speedy trial rights — they will.

by Anonymousreply 95June 2, 2020 6:37 PM

Ole Suze is concerned, all right:

[quote]“ It was painful to watch peaceful protestors be subjected to tear gas in order for the President to go across the street to a church I believe he’s attended only once.”

by Anonymousreply 96June 2, 2020 6:57 PM

He will leave office in November but only if we vote Blue.

by Anonymousreply 97June 2, 2020 7:12 PM

r97 doesn't seem to understand how long a president's term of office lasts.

by Anonymousreply 98June 2, 2020 7:51 PM

Yeah, R98, we know--he's there until January--IF he loses reelection.

I understood what R97 meant. They meant IF Dump loses in November.

by Anonymousreply 99June 2, 2020 8:01 PM

[quote]Tim Scott, the only black Republican in the Senate (and possibly all of Congress) stated that gassing people yesterday was wrong.

Yeah, he's a regular Rosa Parks...

by Anonymousreply 100June 2, 2020 8:04 PM

[Quote]Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wyo.: “Sorry, I’m late for lunch."

Okay, this one made me chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 101June 2, 2020 8:05 PM

Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., stops to talk to cameras, says he has seen “conflicting reports” of what happened at the White House. Says looting and violence is detracting from what should be the focus on George Floyd.

Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., walks by with no comment.

Sen. Mitch McConnell speaking now. Opens news conference by addressing George Floyd protests. “Egregious wrongs have been done. Much of it recorded.” Questions TK after other GOP leaders speak. I asked Sen. McConnell if President Trump’s leadership was right for this moment. “I’m not going to critique other people’s performances,” he said.

Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, at news conference (not in response to questions): “My heart hurts.” Says we need to hear peaceful protestors but “we can’t hear those peaceful protestors over the sound of shattering glass and splintering wood.”

Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah (full exchange)

Q: Do you have any concerns of what we saw unfold at the White House last night with the protestors? LEE: Yes. Q: Yes? What are your concerns? LEE: Violence is scary.

by Anonymousreply 102June 2, 2020 8:21 PM

Tone-deaf morons, the whole damn lot of those moronic lemming Repuke Senators.

by Anonymousreply 103June 2, 2020 8:25 PM

[quote] Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa,

Was she wearing bread bags on her feet as she trotted by?

by Anonymousreply 104June 2, 2020 8:26 PM

Has Collin’s given up or is she concerned to the point of speechlessness?

by Anonymousreply 105June 2, 2020 8:56 PM

[quote]Has Collin’s given up or is she concerned to the point of speechlessness?

No, that's her BSOD - Blue Screen of Death. Trump wants to visit Maine and hold a rally - so she just stopped functioning.

by Anonymousreply 106June 2, 2020 9:12 PM

[quote] “we can’t hear those peaceful protestors over the sound of shattering glass and splintering wood.”

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 107June 2, 2020 9:20 PM

[quote]Was she wearing bread bags on her feet as she trotted by?

They go so well with the dead animal she wears on her head.

by Anonymousreply 108June 2, 2020 9:22 PM

[quote]Has Collin’s given up or is she concerned to the point of speechlessness?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 109June 2, 2020 9:23 PM

Thy still support him. Reporter asks 16 Republicans about Trump’s church photo op – then posted their answers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 2, 2020 9:27 PM

More likely something will happen to Biden. Trump's cretins would stoop that low. Does JB have Secret Service Protection now?

by Anonymousreply 111June 2, 2020 9:28 PM

George W Bush puts out a surprisingly strong statement.

I mean, I know he didn't write it, and I frankly wish he would join with Carter, Clinton, and Obama to all issue a joint statement, but it actually does specifically call out the racism behind everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112June 2, 2020 9:42 PM

As I said before mine honeymoon, “if he dies, he dies”

#BeBestVidow #NoTimeForTears #NowWeDanceBarron

by Anonymousreply 113June 2, 2020 9:54 PM

R5 - frankly I don't know where you and others get the stroke idea. Yeah, being overweight and older makes you a candidate but as a nurse I have seen healthy, young and fit people have strokes a lot, particularly hemorrhagic ones which are the most devastating. You can attribute it to white matter brain disease, diabetes, high or very low blood pressure that changes suddenly...we know he has something neurologic but without any proof of any of these factors, you can't predict a stroke or heart attack. Look at Kate Hepburn who had Parkinson's and white matter brain disease and low blood pressure but no strokes.

You all need to chill with that stroke comment because it shows ignorance and lack of sympathy for real victims of strokes.

by Anonymousreply 114June 2, 2020 10:06 PM

OP types like a low-IQ shop bottom.

by Anonymousreply 115June 2, 2020 10:11 PM

R114, get off your fucking pedestal. This is not a fucking AMA forum, so forgive those of us lay people. I’m not making fun of people who have had strokes, so don’t be a ridiculous Mary.

Pray tell Nursie Nurse Nurse, how do you see the bloated piece of shit dying?

by Anonymousreply 116June 2, 2020 10:34 PM

One more thing R114. You’re a straight woman who constantly bitches on this site about gays hating on women.

What the fuck are you even doing on a gay website? Is it your job to lecture the heathen gays??!

by Anonymousreply 117June 2, 2020 10:37 PM

R98 and r114 type like nerds.

by Anonymousreply 118June 2, 2020 10:38 PM

They type like straight women R118.

by Anonymousreply 119June 2, 2020 10:39 PM

Re R56... joe lockhart’s reply to Nikki Haley

Joe Lockhart @joelockhart Replying to @NikkiHaley you are so full of shit and have become a national joke.

Actually Joe’s Twitter is one flame thrower after another. Highly entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 120June 2, 2020 11:25 PM

Of course Biden does, R111.

by Anonymousreply 121June 2, 2020 11:41 PM

Here's where we're at:

*PAT ROBERTSON* is condemning Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 2, 2020 11:45 PM

Oh, OP....Dream on, dreamweaver.

by Anonymousreply 123June 2, 2020 11:47 PM

O.M.F.G! @ R122

He's the lunatic who disparaged Michelle for 8 years and then said Mellie's porn photos "show the beauty of God's work."

A nobody has got to go a long, long way to lose the likes of him!

by Anonymousreply 124June 2, 2020 11:50 PM

"Thank you, Eva Braun"

Somebody read Nikki Haley like an Oprah book club selection. This is the funniest thing I've come across today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 2, 2020 11:54 PM

That guy at R122 looks like an old chimpanzee.

by Anonymousreply 126June 3, 2020 12:00 AM

R126, lol!

by Anonymousreply 127June 3, 2020 12:04 AM

Which is hysterical, since he doesn't believe in evolution.

by Anonymousreply 128June 3, 2020 12:05 AM

I do believe there's a good chance that if at some point Trump finally gets it into his mind that there's no way he can win reelection he'll resign rather than lose just so he can say he left on his own terms. Of course he'll say to his dying day he would have won if he had stuck it out but left because he had more important things to do.

by Anonymousreply 129June 3, 2020 12:07 AM

I think Trump would be more likely to fake some medical emergency condition as his reason for bowing out, I think.

by Anonymousreply 130June 3, 2020 12:17 AM

Nope, R129. As the meme says, he's no longer running for re-election, he's running to stay out of prison.

What we can hope for is that if he comes to a conclusion in the vein of which you speak, they convince him to fake an "assignation" and spirit him off to live his final days in the Mediterranean with Jeff and a bunch of hookers. Only when he's gone will he actually realize that we'll be having an international dance party instead of a funeral.

by Anonymousreply 131June 3, 2020 12:19 AM

Unless Trump can be pardoned of his crimes, NY drops all pending charges and Putin says it is OK -- Trump is too terrified to go anywhere, voluntarily.

by Anonymousreply 132June 3, 2020 12:20 AM

The only thing that will end the Trump/Pence illegitimate presidency is death.

Best possible scenario is Dotard drops dead at 74 from a life of overindulgence, and the lackluster Pence fafes awsy with him. The dreary Christian Supremacist from Indiana doesn't have the personality and/or cojones to win the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 133June 3, 2020 12:23 AM

It should be so easy to poison the fucker. What is taking so long? Damn. They are really dropping the ball here.

by Anonymousreply 134June 3, 2020 12:43 AM

I heard she killed a guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135June 3, 2020 1:01 AM

I heard she killed a guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 3, 2020 1:01 AM

Haha double wrong thread post.

by Anonymousreply 137June 3, 2020 1:01 AM

[quote]Best possible scenario is Dotard drops dead at 74 from a life of overindulgence, and the lackluster Pence fafes awsy with him. The dreary Christian Supremacist from Indiana doesn't have the personality and/or cojones to win the nomination

I'm tanned, rested, and ready!

by Anonymousreply 138June 3, 2020 1:06 AM

Retiring black republican protesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 3, 2020 1:52 AM

Well it is shady how quiet everyone has been.

by Anonymousreply 140June 3, 2020 2:27 AM

Shady how?

by Anonymousreply 141June 3, 2020 2:33 AM

That will never happen. Ever.

Best case scenario is that the republic party assholes see that they have probably achieved all they can achieve, and see that fat fuck is going to take them all down with him. So they are doing the behind the scenes fuckery to prepare for a Biden Presidency.

Whish I believe will not happen. The reason is that Trump is a cornered rat, and he will start something that will require us to accept him in another term. Look for a war, some conflict, or a false flag attack. But Trump will be the next president, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 142June 3, 2020 2:34 AM

R142: No he won't. But he will try to burn the US down for the rest of his term.

by Anonymousreply 143June 3, 2020 2:39 AM

I could take a running start, flap my arms and fly over Lake Michigan before the following happens but I can daydream.

Trump becomes too awful for even Repugs to tolerate (see? that why it's a daydream), so, at their Repug National Convention, wherever that will be, they re- open the delegate process to whoever wants the Repug nomination to be POTUS.

Now, that's a riot I'd like to see! The Repugs rumble like the South Korean Parliament!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144June 3, 2020 3:56 AM

Miss Nurse Practitioner @R114, please have several MF seats. As a nurse (ICU) for 25 years don’t come on here and act like your ass is all high and mighty. You and I both know gallows humor exists in the healthcare field, and I’m quite sure that you have participated.

by Anonymousreply 145June 3, 2020 4:12 AM

R144, Have you seen the primary results coming out of Indiana and Pennsylvania? incumbent Cheetolini is only winning by about 85%...against opponents who are probably not campaigning.

by Anonymousreply 146June 3, 2020 4:23 AM

No, I want Trump's ego to take Carter/Bush sized hit with a loss in November. I want him to be ridiculed until the end of time as a one-term president. I want the Republican party to pull a Mariah and say, "I don't know her" when someone mentioned that family's name.

Ans I want him to appear in court and be sentenced to federal prison for collusion, money laundering, and a violation of the emoluments clause. Then, I want them to drag his ass to NY to appear before their courts for state-level charges.

by Anonymousreply 147June 3, 2020 1:03 PM

I’m surprised Trump isn’t worried about his safety at this point. I swear the guy has brain damage.

by Anonymousreply 148June 3, 2020 1:12 PM

R146, only? Isn’t that remarkably high?

by Anonymousreply 149June 3, 2020 1:13 PM

[Quote] I’m surprised Trump isn’t worried about his safety at this point. I swear the guy has brain damage.

I'm pretty sure he was shocked at the crowd size on the first night or so. Not only is he brain damaged, he's clueless as to actual repercussions of his actions. While I believe that Secret Service probably initiated the bunker sequester, he probably didn't resist in the slightest

by Anonymousreply 150June 3, 2020 1:16 PM

[Quote] only? Isn’t that remarkably high?

Many state GOPs canceled the primary so there couldn't be any insubordination. A few states allowed write-ins or fringe candidates.

Imagine going to a restaurant and being told the only thing you could order is the chef's special Airmpit Hair & ToeJam Platter...so you eat the butter pats with a glass of lukewarm tap water instead.

by Anonymousreply 151June 3, 2020 1:21 PM

Donald's real support is roughly 30% or a bit lower. The 15% or so are traditional republicans riding along hoping to take advantage.

He will lose the election by significant numbers and so will the republican senate. He will pardon anything and every one before he leaves office. Yes, he will claim fraud and the likes, but the numbers will be too large.

America is in decline and we will no longer be the leader. Russia wants to but their day is coming soon as well. Their chaos will lead to another revolution. Europe and China will be the remaining leaders.

Donald will continue to chirp but nothing will come of it.

by Anonymousreply 152June 3, 2020 1:26 PM

If we can't get Trump - we have to get Bill Barr.

by Anonymousreply 153June 3, 2020 1:52 PM

I agree with R152

His core is shrinking slowly too, like a melting ice cube.

DLers don't like to hear this but he won in 2016 because so many people hated Hillary. She was the embodiment of the condescending entitled affluent liberals that the working class (and the affluent blue collars workers too) sees as looking down on them.

(It doesn't matter if she's really not like that--that is how they saw her. And to beat you all to the punch, beating a has-been reality TV show host, conspiracy theorist with zero political experience by just 2% of the popular vote is an embarrassment, not something to crow about.)

Biden will win in a landslide because the middle class suburban swing voters are tired of all the madness caused by Trump and his complete lack of leadership. They just want a return to normalcy.

by Anonymousreply 154June 3, 2020 2:01 PM

He was on Fox & Friends and stated that he didn't REALLY hide in the bunker, he just went to inspect it.

That's up there with Larry Craig's wide stance.

by Anonymousreply 155June 3, 2020 2:36 PM

"I didn't really suggest they inject bleach. I was being sarcastic"

by Anonymousreply 156June 3, 2020 2:38 PM

For those who need a landslide defeat, don't worry... losing by 1000 votes will eat him alive.

R150... in the early reporting, before they confirmed Melania and Barron were there too was this gorgeous, comforting line: "The president and his family have been shaken by the size and venom of the crowds, according to the Republican."

by Anonymousreply 157June 3, 2020 3:01 PM

Do you have a link for that R157?

Would love to share it elsewhere

by Anonymousreply 158June 3, 2020 3:45 PM

She also didn't get in there and fight r154. It's not her fault, 2016 was a political reset. No one knew how to handle someone like Trump. I wanted to jump through the screen when Hillary kept telling people to check her website when Donald made outlandish claims during the final debate. NO! He is standing next to you with a captive audience of millions, call his ass out. To his face and spit facts.

Now we know how to manage him. Biden is not one that's afraid to speak his mind. This is not Hillary's fault, the political advisors were playing catchup like the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 159June 3, 2020 5:06 PM

The Democrat old guard leadership is too slow on the uptake. They don't know how to read the room, even when it floods the streets for five straight days and when there is actual video evidence of police brutality. They need to fucking step up already.

by Anonymousreply 160June 3, 2020 5:36 PM

That was supposed to be in reply to %159

by Anonymousreply 161June 3, 2020 5:37 PM

Oh for fuck's sake, I meant to type R159

by Anonymousreply 162June 3, 2020 5:38 PM

It should happen but it won't. He has done so many bad things and he gets away with everything.

by Anonymousreply 163June 3, 2020 5:41 PM

Well he's shown his authoritarian colors over the last few days, hasn't he? When you have the Sec. of Defense and #2 GOP leader coming at you within hours, you maybe miscalculated.

Mitch: McTurtle, here.

Thune: Mitch, we have a problem...

by Anonymousreply 164June 3, 2020 5:53 PM

R158... in this link at WaPo, quoting AP:

The Associated Press also reports that “the president and his family have been shaken by the size and venom of the crowds,” and that “Trump has told advisers he worries about his safety.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165June 3, 2020 6:22 PM

He’s scared now? Let him try and pull a stunt like invoking the Insurrection Act of 1807 — which he has not done yet, contrary to some reports. Those protests will dwarf what has been going on.

And frankly, the military would not be in favor. Defense Secretary Esper has gone in full retreat on using the military or military jargon in dealing with peaceful protests. The generals must have given him a stern warning. Some of my Pentagon friends think he’ll probably have to resign because his split from Dotard on this is fairly severe.

by Anonymousreply 166June 3, 2020 6:55 PM

I can see the red states being pro-insurrection and go for it.

by Anonymousreply 167June 3, 2020 7:18 PM

[quote] Some of my Pentagon friends think he’ll probably have to resign because his split from Dotard on this is fairly severe.

Doesn't that just leave a vacuum for some other incompetent sycophant to abuse?

by Anonymousreply 168June 3, 2020 7:19 PM

R155, it really was a classic line. The sort of thing Mr Burns would say.

by Anonymousreply 169June 3, 2020 7:22 PM

I’m not so sure about that R167.

But most of the rioting and looting appears to have stopped. So, he likely won’t get a chance right now. But if the protests grow larger he might panic and try and something really stupid. I mean stupider than usual. I mean, . . . Never mind.

[quote] Doesn't that just leave a vacuum for some other incompetent sycophant to abuse?

Yes, but, the departure wouldn’t be Esper’s choice, it would be tRump’s decision because Esper contradicted The Dotard. The petty little tyrant hates that.

by Anonymousreply 170June 3, 2020 7:48 PM

Doesn't that just leave a vacuum for some other incompetent sycophant to abuse?

Agreed; Esper appears to have some (minimal) amount of shame, whereas if you get some devious motherfucker like Barr wanted to make a name for himself/herself with the Big Man, who knows....

by Anonymousreply 171June 3, 2020 7:50 PM

Esper will be gone by the end of the week, but it won't matter: the generals won't follow an illegal order.

It's sad that they're about the only thing that's keeping America from turning into a banana republic.

I lived through the 60's. Even Nixon didn't try shit like this.

by Anonymousreply 172June 3, 2020 8:18 PM

Let's keep hope alive he's removed from office soon........................in a body bag.

by Anonymousreply 173June 3, 2020 8:22 PM

Maybe the stress will kill him.

by Anonymousreply 174June 3, 2020 8:25 PM

Today: Nancy toured the DC protest today (finally) and, just now, troop convoys are rolling in front of the White House. In between those events PissyPants got slapped down by the Sec of Defense but Miss Lindsey debuted a matching Barbie cut-n-curl at yet another oversight hearing while Barr again refused to participate in one as previously promised.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175June 3, 2020 8:42 PM

[quote] Let's keep hope alive he's removed from office soon........................in - a body bag

If that happens I will attend Sunday Mass every week for the rest of my life

by Anonymousreply 176June 3, 2020 8:45 PM

If that happens I'll go to church on christmas an easter.

by Anonymousreply 177June 3, 2020 9:23 PM

And R176 isn't even Catholic!

by Anonymousreply 178June 3, 2020 9:38 PM

Oh my my my! Someone bring me my salts -- and a young navy man! I believe at those young bucks rioting has given me the vapors!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179June 3, 2020 9:42 PM

R139 and he ALWAYS believes in prez rump. He needs to sit down.

by Anonymousreply 180June 3, 2020 10:15 PM

Jim Mattis, former Sec Def and Marine General, denounced Trump this afternoon.

The end is nigh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181June 3, 2020 11:21 PM

This time for SURE Bullwinkle !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182June 3, 2020 11:45 PM

[quote] The Democrat old guard leadership is too slow on the uptake. They don't know how to read the room, even when it floods the streets for five straight days and when there is actual video evidence of police brutality. They need to fucking step up already.

Dems -- old and new -- are savoring the sight of him setting himself ablaze. There is nothing they need to do or say at this moment.

by Anonymousreply 183June 4, 2020 12:42 AM

"Never interfere with an enemy while he’s in the process of destroying himself."

Good advice then, good advice now.

by Anonymousreply 184June 4, 2020 12:54 AM

It’s unclear if Maddis will sustain this or simply return back to academia and be quiet. But he could, if you wanted to, every 2 to 3 weeks put in a blistering attack through an op Ed somewhere in a newspaper. It Would drive Donald nuts.

by Anonymousreply 185June 4, 2020 3:01 AM

Mattis should have said what he said a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 186June 4, 2020 3:35 AM

Again, if Cheetolini's tax returns were allowed out and/or Meuller's grand juries testimony is made public, Orangina's ass would be kicked out. It is only John Robert's Supreme Court interference that is keeping the truth from the American people that keeps Dump in office. The SC will have to hand down its decision soon.

by Anonymousreply 187June 4, 2020 8:25 AM

Mattis should have said what he said a long time ago.

Indeed, but late than never. People have genuine cause to worry about Barr & Dump using the military *against* citizens exercising their constitutional rights, as illustrated by the LaFayette Square clusterfuck, but it was good for him to remind everyone that the military is sworn to uphold the Constitution, not Dump & Barr however much they may think they are..

Plus, Dump so wants to be loved by the tough guys and one of the biggest, most respected tough guys just publicly called him a pussy and that's got to hurt...

by Anonymousreply 188June 4, 2020 9:16 AM

It can't be repeated often enough: "He tries to divide us."

Whether it's from his own selfish pursuit of power and wealth, or whether he really is in cahoots with Putin, Xi and other dictators, the result is the same. He tries to divide us. He is a destructive force in the US.

by Anonymousreply 189June 4, 2020 10:30 AM

[quote]Susie Collins hasn't even talked about how deeply concerned she is.

Oh yes I have, only you mock me for my concern. So my new phrase is ""painful to watch". Not wrong, I wont say that. How about "unsympathetic and as insensitive" Those sound like good alternative to concern. You young people under 60 are keeping my feet to the fire.

Of course that wont change my loyalty to him, or the GOP or my vote for him in November. "the president was impeached, he already suffered enough...he learned his lesson" which is why I voted against impeaching him in the senate..

I'v been doing this for a long time, give lip service to the Democrats and vote straight down the line Republican no matter how bad or ugly their intentions are. That's how I have been so fortunate to be considered a moderate by the good people of Maine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190June 4, 2020 11:05 AM

[quote]You young people under 60 are keeping my feet to the fire.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 191June 4, 2020 11:07 AM

Here you go R191

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192June 4, 2020 11:11 AM

Lisa Murkowski, who is fractionally less objectionable than Susie Q Collins, came out and said that she's unsure if she can support Trump's reelection.

Don't get me wrong, she's still going to. But even floating the idea is much braver than anything else a Senate Republican has done.

by Anonymousreply 193June 4, 2020 4:18 PM

That is actually a big deal, r193. She’s somewhat independent, but there hasn’t been a peep about any Republicans in authority not supporting his re-election.

by Anonymousreply 194June 4, 2020 4:27 PM

Reality check: Recent mass demonstrations in the streets have had zero success in regime change.

Egypt- Nope

China- Nada

Russia-Puty 20 yrs

Brazil-Silch

Syria- like a rock

France- très amusant

by Anonymousreply 195June 4, 2020 4:29 PM

[quote] there hasn’t been a peep about any Republicans in authority not supporting his re-election.

They don’t want to talk about tRump at all. When asked to comment on his latest antics involving pepper-spraying citizens who were peacefully protesting their government, they scurried by the reporters like the rats they are.

They’ve had plenty of opportunities to denounce this vile monster. They take a pass every time.

by Anonymousreply 196June 4, 2020 5:33 PM

She may be the tip of the iceberg though R193 and R194

As with many things of this sort, all it takes is one person to be the one to go first and then everyone else finds it easier to pile on.

by Anonymousreply 197June 4, 2020 5:33 PM

“Unsure” isn’t “won’t.”

by Anonymousreply 198June 4, 2020 5:34 PM

NONE of these GOP cunts will say anything against him, and they will ALL support him and vote for him in the election.

by Anonymousreply 199June 4, 2020 5:35 PM

I think Romney steps up next...

by Anonymousreply 200June 4, 2020 5:39 PM

[quote]Trump will be removed from office very shortly.

Kicking and screaming.

by Anonymousreply 201June 4, 2020 5:39 PM

Bullshit R199

The moment they realize they are not getting re-elected Senator if they are seen as a Trumpist, they are off that train.

by Anonymousreply 202June 4, 2020 5:40 PM

The GOP NEVER steps up in any substantive way. It's always sniveling and half-hearted, and then they go and hide.

R202, really? Like Collins? I call bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 203June 4, 2020 5:41 PM

[quote]Of course that wont change my loyalty to him

[quote]It is only John Robert's Supreme Court

Looks like I'll be putting in some OT today.

by Anonymousreply 204June 4, 2020 5:46 PM

[quote]Napolean Bonaparte, 1805

Sacre bleu!

by Anonymousreply 205June 4, 2020 5:46 PM

Chuck Grassley put a hold on two nominees until they get answers about the inspectors general firings.

Didn’t see that coming.

by Anonymousreply 206June 4, 2020 6:14 PM

Pretty much every Republican Senator who’s up for re-election in a state where Biden leads is wondering what their move is. They have to be worried shitless, if they have half a brain. Of course, they might not have half a brain. My feeling is if things get worse (polling wise, they don’t give a shit about the country), there will be serious talk about drastic action.

by Anonymousreply 207June 4, 2020 6:28 PM

Well, Grassley's up in the next cycle, not this time, and I have no idea how Iowa has been polling.

Also, there's no way Alaska is in play for Biden. Nor is Murkowski up.

by Anonymousreply 208June 4, 2020 6:34 PM

Good points, r208. Yes, neither of them is in the re-election mix, which makes it all the more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 209June 4, 2020 6:37 PM

He has never worked a real job or had any success at anything other than scamming people.

Talk about thug life.

by Anonymousreply 210June 4, 2020 6:39 PM

This gave everyone the creepiest creeps

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211June 4, 2020 6:43 PM

No matter what Floyd did in his personal life, he did not deserve to be MURDERED, especially by a cop. That cop acted as judge, jury, and executioner. And now he has to pay.

by Anonymousreply 212June 4, 2020 7:15 PM

Goldman Sachs says a "Blue Wave" is coming which, of course, they don't like because - huge surprise - corporate taxes will increase.

"The increasing odds of a Democratic "blue wave" in November have also raised the chances of a corporate tax hike, according to a Goldman Sachs report. The 2020 election is just five months away, and prediction markets now price a 77%, 50%, and 51% likelihood of Democratic victories in the House, Senate, and presidential races, respectively," the report said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213June 4, 2020 7:33 PM

Isn’t Chuck Grassley in his 80s? Would he really be running again?

by Anonymousreply 214June 4, 2020 7:59 PM

[quote] Would he really be running again?

That may be the point.

by Anonymousreply 215June 4, 2020 8:02 PM

Diane Feinstein was 84 when she ran in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 216June 4, 2020 8:04 PM

Suck it, Goldman.

by Anonymousreply 217June 4, 2020 8:11 PM

r123 The Stock Market is the financial Potempkin Village of the 1%. It has no relation to the real economy. With the country in flames and the highest unemployment since the Great Depression. This Las Vegas of the investor class is booming at 26,000. Wake the fuck up. America's tombstone will be carved on Wall St.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218June 4, 2020 8:21 PM

Of course it's not the real economy - it's investors betting on the future. And they are optimistic at the moment.

The "investor class" is millions of Americans with 401K plans, hoping they'll be able to afford retirement.

by Anonymousreply 219June 4, 2020 10:26 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220June 4, 2020 10:49 PM

Wow. That’s a really big deal yes?

by Anonymousreply 221June 4, 2020 10:56 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222June 4, 2020 11:02 PM

His fucking head will explode.

Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 223June 4, 2020 11:06 PM

Trump, with Barr as his henchman, wants to declare Martial Law, and name himself Emperor for life. The U. S. Military will not cooperate. Police will not want any part of it, and the public at large will go ballistic. Only his most adamant sycophants in the House and Senate will embrace such a move. His 34% hard core base supporters will stick with him. Right-wing militias supporting Trump will get physically confronted. Those fat, bearded guys with a high school or less education will get confronted. They are not the only ones with guns. The U.S. Military will annihilate Eric Prince's mercenary forces.

by Anonymousreply 224June 4, 2020 11:12 PM

He'll be watching "Seven Days in May" tonight.

by Anonymousreply 225June 4, 2020 11:18 PM

I hope this news doesn't cause Anusmouth to stroke out or anything.

by Anonymousreply 226June 4, 2020 11:24 PM

Barr is a criminal and a traitor and he needs to be in prison.

Who will remove Trump?

by Anonymousreply 227June 4, 2020 11:24 PM

There's so much money funding this criminal as he bleeds the USA dry for the benefit of his friends that it will be hard to shift him.

Let the bastard run for a second term and get shafted. When he screams and refuses to go, the US army will shoot the fucker.

by Anonymousreply 228June 4, 2020 11:28 PM

I’m actually getting a bit nervous... I’ve fantasized about the cabinet and the military tossing Dump out on his ass, but this letter seems to be to be very serious. Is anyone getting the same vibe? Dump won’t take this lying down. What are his options? What will he stoop low enough to do? If there’s a standoff between Dump and the military, the military will win, but at what cost?

by Anonymousreply 229June 4, 2020 11:30 PM

I saw a headline with Clinton doing a photo op carrying a bible at the same church Rump did. What’s the difference asked the headline. There is a big difference. Clinton didn’t use force to remove peaceful protesters so he wouldn’t be booed. Also unlike Rump Clinton has been known to attend church.

Please if someone sees Susan Sarandon on the street. Please tell her to go fuck herself.

by Anonymousreply 230June 4, 2020 11:33 PM

He will keep firing people until one of them down the chain decides to like his ass like Bar dose after every bowel movement.

by Anonymousreply 231June 4, 2020 11:33 PM

R228: I'd rather see the 82nd Airborne carry him out screaming and frothing at the mouth and deposit him in St. Elizabeth's, DC's oldest mental hospital; part of which - in a note of delicious irony - is now the HQ of the Department of Homeland Security.

by Anonymousreply 232June 4, 2020 11:34 PM

You all might as well turn to real porn instead of wasting your time on this mental jack off. There is no one and no way he is going to be removed from office short of an assassination or heart attack. Almost the entire Republican party said he did nothing wrong during the impeachment process in spite of all the facts and testimony right in front of their eyes.

Please explain how that's going to change before November. Ill wait.

by Anonymousreply 233June 4, 2020 11:40 PM

[quote] Please explain how that's going to change before November. Ill wait.

Sorry to keep you waiting.

They will see the disastrous poll numbers--especially if there is a second wave of Covid and even more unemployment and realize that they will be out of jobs if they continue to support him.

Self-interest is a great motivator for politicians.

by Anonymousreply 234June 4, 2020 11:43 PM

My dream Rump forcibly taken out of the White House crying like a baby. Trump boys, Ivanka , Jared all go to prison. Melania can’t even get a book deal and I don’t care what happens to Barron

by Anonymousreply 235June 4, 2020 11:43 PM

That was then, this is now.

A lot of Repubs are getting nervous about their re-election prospects and have two choices: stick with him and go down with the ship or ditch him and go down with the ship.

by Anonymousreply 236June 4, 2020 11:44 PM

Trump has punched and deleted Murkowski, stating that he looks forward to campaigning against her in two years.

She might as well switch parties now.

by Anonymousreply 237June 4, 2020 11:44 PM

Second round? My state is having the worst number of cases right now. I go back to work on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 238June 4, 2020 11:44 PM

R228 Just do this to him and his fucking family

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239June 4, 2020 11:45 PM

R237 How effective can he be campaigning against her in Alaska from Attica Prison in upstate New York?

New York Attorney General Leticia James (and a jury of his peers) should have his ass in a sling by then...

by Anonymousreply 240June 4, 2020 11:53 PM

Again with the magical thinking.

by Anonymousreply 241June 5, 2020 12:00 AM

R224 I have no doubt that there are voices encouraging Trump to declare martial law, suspend civil liberties etc, this is the 4Chan/Qanon wet dream after all, though the apparent calming of the situation may make this moot for the moment.

But the sudden appearance of retired 3 and 4 star generals this week to make public statements is no random occurence; they are making it very clear on behalf of serving flag officers that the military will not support any plans of this sort through deployment of active duty troops to occupy and control the population. Nor will they facilitate anything but the Constitutional handover of power in 2021. Trump will serve out his term(s).

by Anonymousreply 242June 5, 2020 12:04 AM

Yes. Seems like it’s been a hundred times we thought they got him now. Remember that long long time we thought Robert Mueller would be our savior? Let us enjoy our dream while it lasts.

by Anonymousreply 243June 5, 2020 12:06 AM

I’ve been thinking about Ceaușescu a lot this week, R239 - and I know many others have been, too. But I think it’s highly unlikely that anything even approaching that will ever happen here.

I will say this though: such abrupt and violent historical shifts always appear remote and unlikely. Until suddenly, one day: they’re not. Things always unravel far quicker than we expect them to.

May we live in interesting times.

by Anonymousreply 244June 5, 2020 12:07 AM

[quote] If there’s a standoff between Dump and the military, the military will win, but at what cost?

I actually had the thought this morning the the White House has so much history and art and value to the American people that it would be an astonishing loss if they had to firebomb his bedroom to get him out. Would it be worth it?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 245June 5, 2020 12:07 AM

Yes! But use tear gas first!

by Anonymousreply 246June 5, 2020 12:13 AM

I ask as a European if any of you realized maybe a year or two back how dangerous Trump was to your country?

Even if you get rid of the bastard, he's caused massive damage to the fabric of the USA. He's reopened the wounds of the Civil War wide open and thrown dirt in them. Then there's the packing of the Supreme Court with conservatives and judicial appointments everywhere with more fundamentalists and conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 247June 5, 2020 12:15 AM

I think most if not nearly all of us here, R247, realized what a dangerous disaster he'd be back in 2016. Three million more voters who voted for his opponent thought so, too. We were not in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 248June 5, 2020 12:25 AM

R225 -- ECOMCON

by Anonymousreply 249June 5, 2020 12:30 AM

Interesting recent article about Trump's enablers in The Atlantic. It's long but worth it. Somebody on Twitter replying to the author (Anne Applebaum), also mentioned a Dallas News article from 2017, that pretty explicitly shows Russian financial connections to the Rethugs. I knew about the money but this leaves little the imagination. Here's link to the recent Atlantic piece:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250June 5, 2020 12:45 AM

r250 here: DL won't let me post link. I guess I can try again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251June 5, 2020 12:47 AM

Is that the Applebaum article that keeps referring to Eastern European politicians of the 1950s, 60s, 70s....I could not get through it.

by Anonymousreply 252June 5, 2020 12:51 AM

Fucking Bannon got his monastery in Italy back so he can create the alt right gladiators he wants to loose on the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253June 5, 2020 12:54 AM

This article R259?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254June 5, 2020 12:58 AM

He’s close to ordering the effective killing of protesters. If that happens, it could be over.

The problem is a President Pence.

by Anonymousreply 255June 5, 2020 12:59 AM

Nah - Pence would play ball for the few months he's there. No worries there.

by Anonymousreply 256June 5, 2020 1:04 AM

'Mother' would keep Pence on track. And absolutely zero pussy grabbing too. No invited pee pee girls would slip inside the WH through the back door.

by Anonymousreply 257June 5, 2020 1:23 AM

Pence could be elected president if Cheeto is removed.

by Anonymousreply 258June 5, 2020 1:26 AM

Yeah, and I could become Pope.

by Anonymousreply 259June 5, 2020 1:32 AM

[quote] Pence could be elected president if Cheeto is removed.

A humorless, wing nut toadie could be elected lame-duck president if the most hateful, ignorant malignant narcissist to ever pollute the American government is removed.

I'll take my chances with that deal.

by Anonymousreply 260June 5, 2020 1:33 AM

r254: Yes, that's the article--June 1, Atlantic, Anne Applebaum. I ended up listening to it on AudM, which is a not very expensive Apple app with really good professional narrators reading long-form journalism. Makes it much easier than sitting and reading these things.

by Anonymousreply 261June 5, 2020 1:35 AM

[quote]I ask as a European if any of you realized maybe a year or two back how dangerous Trump was

Are you kidding? I realized that before he even took office. He was a dangerous man and no matter how much he was exposed the people who voted for him didn't care. They still don't. Slightly more Deplorables came out of their holes and won the electoral collage, rest is history. Remember, Hillary not only won the popular vote by over 3 million, she won all 3 debates and ahead in over 100 independent polls. But yes, the most dangerous man in power.

by Anonymousreply 262June 5, 2020 1:50 AM

[quote]Pence could be elected president if Cheeto is removed.

Elected? No, he's Vice President, it an automatic job promotion to President.

But only for the remainder of Trump's original term.

by Anonymousreply 263June 5, 2020 1:53 AM

I will be honest, I always imagined someone as undemocratic and dangerous to precedent and norms as Trump is would not be as stupid as Trump is. What’s more chilling to me is all the people around him who are enabling this. I am much more naïve than I ever thought. This is like a work of fiction. One of those cheap pulp novels about the presidency. But we’re living it.

by Anonymousreply 264June 5, 2020 1:54 AM

R247: New York City realized it. I remember taking the Path and E trains the next day and everyone on the train was in shock. Nobody spoke - very quiet. At work, nobody laughed or really spoke outside of work-related stuff. If anyone was happy Trump was president, they hid it. We all knew we were fucked! A few months later, an Indian guy (who was contrarian by nature anyway), said he liked Trump! Our gay boss fired his ass a few weeks later for "insubordination" or something like that..yeah, right. Glad the asshole is gone though!

by Anonymousreply 265June 5, 2020 1:59 AM

If Trump wants to win in November, he must dump Pence and pick the most fabulous and adored woman in America as his running mate. No, not that Nikki Haley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266June 5, 2020 2:09 AM

Here's my psychic prediction: he will drop dead of a heart attack or stroke on June 23rd.

by Anonymousreply 267June 5, 2020 2:11 AM

R265, even out here in BFE flyover, I knew that fucker was a fraud.

I had a subscription to the NYDN in college as part of a class project and I told my roommate he was nothing but white trash.

Both of us were disgusted by him, his antics and his lies.

by Anonymousreply 268June 5, 2020 2:15 AM

Yes, R247--it was a visceral reaction. It felt as though every bit of progress we'd made as a society was a lie, as though I literally went to sleep in one country and woke up in another. It was the saddest I've ever felt as an American, until now.

by Anonymousreply 269June 5, 2020 2:15 AM

I wonder if he will need hospitalization. He’s gotten what he wants all of his life. He lives to cause chaos and anger & then to wreak vengeance on the people who stand up to him. He also sees himself as the most victimized person in the world. This might be too much for him to bear. He’s not getting his way. He’s not getting his full vengeance on the protestors, especially the black protestors. He might decompensate. He might need to be hospitalized so he can claim victimization. “I am sick. I need to be the center of attention & get sympathy. I need doctors & nurses to care for me. I need everyone to feel sorry for me. Look what the bad people have done to me. My followers need to go after the bad people and punish them.”

by Anonymousreply 270June 5, 2020 2:22 AM

I'm referring to election night in 2016, of course.

by Anonymousreply 271June 5, 2020 2:22 AM

R270: Either way, we know he is VERY unhappy right now.

by Anonymousreply 272June 5, 2020 2:25 AM

[quote]A lot of Repubs are getting nervous about their re-election prospects and have two choices: stick with him and go down with the ship or ditch him and go down with the ship.

Unfortunately, many of them (in the Senate) are not up for re-election this cycle, and many more (in the House) are in 100% safe, gerrymandered districts.

by Anonymousreply 273June 5, 2020 2:36 AM

A friend of mine, who is much smarter than I am, explained it this way... Trump is extremely worried about Ivanka, and what will happen to her should he lose the election. During the impeachment trial, documents were shown to implicate Ivanka in state tax evasion (NY state), which is one of the charges the SDNY is preparing against her. Trump can't pardon her for state crimes, but winning re-election does allow him to possibly postpone the inevitable until 2024, at which point he may be too old to care what happens to her (though I disagreed). Of all his kids, he only gives a shit about Ivanka, no one else. Not the boys, not Tiffany. Just Ivanka.

The only way to save herself from prosecution is her and Jared taking their family and emigrating to Israel. If that happens before October, the writing will be on the wall.

My friend also pointed out something about pardons... if he pardons Flynn, Stone, and lord know who else this summer or early fall, that will also be a telltale sign that he feels he will lose the election. Which means he may resign after the pardons (my friend thinks September), which means Pence will be left holding the stinking bag of shit that Trump will have handed to him. The excuse will be fatigue or just general malaise or "I've made America great again" so my job is done type of excuse.

Trump knows he's losing and every day he does nothing or something that is insane is another day where his poll numbers continue to decline. He'll keep white men as his base, and will win a majority of those. But everything he's done up to this point has been for naught (not?)... and that scares him.

And remember... the virus is still with us. There are now over 107,000 Americans who are dead because of it, over 1.7M Americans who are infected with it. Those numbers aren't going down, and if things stay on this course, Trump will have to explain to the American people come debate time why he doesn't take responsibility for over 2M Americans being infected and maybe close to a quarter million dead Americans from the virus.

How do you explain away that?

by Anonymousreply 274June 5, 2020 2:37 AM

[quote]He will keep firing people until one of them down the chain decides to like his ass like Bar dose after every bowel movement.

Oh, you did NOT go there!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275June 5, 2020 2:37 AM

Has Pence made any kind of public comment in the past few days? I wonder if he's distancing himself.

by Anonymousreply 276June 5, 2020 2:38 AM

Sorry, one more thing... if he loses, I think the only thing that changes for Trump is that he doesn't get to live in the White House anymore. He'll still tweet every day. He'll still have secret service protection. He'll still be referred to as "President Trump". He'll still have his followers. He can still hold rallies for whatever reason (accolades, personal gratification, look at me look at me look at me, etc.). He doesn't govern now. He doesn't act Presidential. Okay, he won't fly on AF1 anymore, but he has his own airplanes, so it's not like he'll have to start flying economy any time soon. He'll live at Mar-a-Lago, golf as much as he wants, surround himself with sycophants and asslickers...

Tell me again how losing would be bad for him?

by Anonymousreply 277June 5, 2020 2:40 AM

[QUOTE] Has Pence made any kind of public comment in the past few days? I wonder if he's distancing himself.

Yes. A couple days ago he threatened to invade Pennsylvania with the military. He’s been very much on the same page as his master.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278June 5, 2020 2:40 AM

r277, you are so fucking right. sad days.

by Anonymousreply 279June 5, 2020 2:47 AM

R277, I had a news pundit tell me after the election that's all about Russian money to the republicans. She thought the election was rigged and that his Supreme Court nominee was illegitimate. She also said that's why Ryan resigned when he did. he knew it would be a shit show but even he couldn't have imagined what a fucking hell this country is in because of Drumpf and the Repubs.

by Anonymousreply 280June 5, 2020 2:55 AM

[quote] Diane Feinstein was 84 when she ran in 2018.

Only because Trump was in office and she didn't think it wise to surrender her seat as Senator from largest, richest state to a novice without her seniority. I don't necessarily agree with her but there it is.

If Harris is VP then CA will have to pick two new senators -- my money is on Kim Kardashian-West

by Anonymousreply 281June 5, 2020 2:58 AM

[quote] Diane Feinstein was 84 when she ran in 2018.

Only because Trump was in office and she didn't think it wise to surrender her seat as Senator from largest, richest state to a novice without her seniority. I don't necessarily agree with her but there it is.

If Harris is VP then CA will have to pick two new senators -- my money is on Kim Kardashian-West

by Anonymousreply 282June 5, 2020 2:58 AM

There will be no rallies and no golf when he gets kicked in the cunt.

He is going to be spending his time getting suspended from social media and meeting with lawyers. He will have NO free time.

No city will allow him to hold rallies since he doesn't pay his bills.

Tish James and I hope Kamala or Schiff is going to subpoena his fat ass to testify about Russia and he's gonna end up in prison for perjury, tax evasion, money laundering and racketeering.

He is going to be hating life when he gets booted. Why do you think he's so desperate? He is toast.

by Anonymousreply 283June 5, 2020 2:58 AM

I agree with much of the posters above except I don’t see Dump pardoning any of the Russian enablers at all. Loyalty is a one way street with him. He demands loyalty but doesn’t give it back. Unless one of those guys knows something that can bring him down (and we know his base doesn’t even care if they do have info) he’s already forgotten about all of them.

by Anonymousreply 284June 5, 2020 3:04 AM

[quote] The 2020 election is just five months away, and prediction markets now price a 77%, 50%, and 51% likelihood of Democratic victories in the House, Senate, and presidential races, respectively,"

November 11, 2016

As network anchors and pundits appeared stunned at Donald Trump's Electoral College victory Tuesday night, it was obvious much political polling data had missed the mark.

Also most prediction markets—often touted as a better indicator for election outcomes—had widely predicted a Hillary Clinton victory, including one that had put her probability of victory at 83 percent.

"Prediction markets now have a lot of egg on their faces with the presidential election and the Brexit vote earlier this year," said Koleman Strumpf, a University of Kansas professor of business economics.

As far as the U.S. presidential election, it's possible polling data too heavily influenced decisions in the prediction markets.

"If apparently the information was bad, then the markets weren't able to figure that out," Strumpf said. "However, the markets' job is to see through that typically. For lack of a better expression, it seemed everything became an echo chamber. People got convinced of the inevitability of Clinton winning, and they were unwilling to fully weight a set of circumstances that could lead to what actually did happen, Trump winning the Electoral College majority."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285June 5, 2020 3:17 AM

Peggy Noonan just kicked him in the balls in this column which I am sure will be spread far and wide among Rethugs

Some choice quotes:

Aides said it was a Churchill moment. And it was just like Churchill during the blitz, if Churchill secretly loved rubble. Upon arrival with his friends, the people who work for him, he brandished a Bible like—who in history?—the devil?

In all this he gave up the game and explicitly patronized his own followers. It was as if he was saying: [italic] I’m going to show you how stupid I know you are. I’ll give you crude and gross imagery and you’ll love it because you’re crude and gross people.[/italic]

As for suburban women, they’d crawl over broken husbands to vote him out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286June 5, 2020 3:28 AM

This is outrageous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287June 5, 2020 3:30 AM

R286 any chance you could post the entire thing? I'll admit I'm lazy and don't want to go around the WSJ paywall

by Anonymousreply 288June 5, 2020 3:35 AM

Because you asked nicely R288. The parts about Floyd are fairly boilerplate, it's where she rips into Trump that is gets good.

here’s so much to say but my mind keeps going back to New Year’s Eve, when we watched the ball come down and knew the story of 2020 was the presidential election and whatever stray harassments history throws our way. No one that night guessed—no one could have guessed—that in the next few months we’d have a world-wide pandemic, an economic catastrophe and fighting in the streets. The point is not that life is surprise or history turns on a dime, it’s that we’ve been battered. We’ve been through a lot. And with economic and cultural indexes down, with the world turned darker and more predatory, we will go through more. We thought we’d be telling our grandchildren about the spring of 2020. Actually we’ll be telling them about the coming 10 years, and how we tried to turn everything around.

The painful irony of the protests and riots is that for a few days everyone was in agreement. We all saw the nine-minute tape. We saw the casual brutality as the dying man begged for mercy and the cop didn’t care. In the past there were arguments about similar incidents. Not this time. Most everyone concedes the problem—that black men are profiled and cannot feel safe in their own country. Walking while black, driving while black—Tim Scott of South Carolina has been stopped for trying to impersonate a U.S. senator, which is what he is. In an interview a few years ago he told me that seven times in his first six years in Washington he’d been pulled over for “driving a new car in the wrong neighborhood.”

by Anonymousreply 289June 5, 2020 3:39 AM

Following the killing of George Floyd, America would totally accept protests and demonstrations, would understand expressions of anger and pain.

What Americans wouldn’t accept was looting, violence, arson. They wouldn’t accept that shopkeepers just out from lockdown were pulled from their stores and beaten. They won’t accept this because they will not accept more battery.

We’re now supposed to hate cops. No. Hate bad cops, help good ones. A great cop does as much to help society as a great doctor or nurse, and is in the line of fire. In New York, one officer was mowed down by a hit-and-run driver; another was stabbed in the neck; two were shot. One cop was shot in Las Vegas and four in St. Louis, where the police chief said someone randomly shot at a police line. Also in St. Louis a 77-year-old retired police captain, David Dorn, black, on the force 38 years, was shot and killed during the looting.

Cops witness the worst things in America. They answer the 911 call at 3:20 a.m. and see things so horrible they can’t tell anyone because if it gets around there will be imitators. They see the violent parents and the kids watching television, checked out at age 8. They see what meth does. They’re often poorly trained and have to get everything right, and they assume between the pols and public opinion no one really has their back except the unions that too often keep cities from weeding out bad cops so that good cops can thrive.

There is a phrase among medical professionals, “moral injury.” Health-care workers who are strung out, stretched to the breaking point, suffer from moral injury.

So do a lot of cops. A lot of black men, too. The thing for all of us now is to keep our moral poise and intellectual balance, try to be fair and make things better. Some cops failed to do that this week—unnecessary roughness, targeting journalists. Some really came through. Among them were the police who were face to face with demonstrators and took a knee. This has been criticized as obsequious, bowing to the mob. No, it is how we are saved, by showing love and sympathy. It happened from New York to Los Angeles. Yahoo News reported on what happened in Flint, Mich., when Sheriff Chris Swanson told protesters, “I took off the helmet and laid the batons down. Where do you want to walk? We’ll walk all night.” Protesters cheered. In Fayetteville, N.C., there was a standoff between demonstrators and the police. The officers, some 60 of them, took a knee before marchers on Murchison Road. The department later said they wanted to show “understanding” for “the pain” many civilians are feeling. Witnesses said some officers and protesters had tears in their eyes.

To the extent things were contained this week, that’s how it happened.

That’s the big story, what happened in America.

by Anonymousreply 290June 5, 2020 3:40 AM

[italic] THIS IS THE GOOD PART [/italic]

As to the president, this week he altered his position in the political landscape. Something broke. He is no longer the force he was and no longer lucky. In some new and indelible way his essential nature was revealed.

It got out that faced with protests around the White House, he hid. Or perhaps let the Secret Service, which might have struggled with realistic threat assessment, talk him into going into the White House bunker. (Mr. Trump later said he was simply “inspecting” it.) He tweeted that he was protected by the “most vicious dogs” and “ominous weapons.”

On Monday, he spoke in the Rose Garden. “I will fight to protect you,” he said. “I am your president of law and order.” This was unsubtle, and seemed more aimed at protecting his political prospects than your safety and property.

Then, upset that people might be getting the impression he was a physical coward, he set out to prove he is brave. Protected by a phalanx of police, Secret Service, sharpshooters and what looked like a Praetorian Guard with shields, he marched to St John’s, the church of the presidents. Aides said it was a Churchill moment. And it was just like Churchill during the blitz, if Churchill secretly loved rubble. Upon arrival with his friends, the people who work for him, he brandished a Bible like—who in history?—the devil?

In all this he gave up the game and explicitly patronized his own followers. It was as if he was saying: I’m going to show you how stupid I know you are. I’ll give you crude and gross imagery and you’ll love it because you’re crude and gross people.

And some would love it. But not all. Not most, I think.

He has maxed out his base. He’s got his 40% and will keep it, but it isn’t growing. His polls are down, he has historically high negatives. As for suburban women, they’d crawl over broken husbands to vote him out.

He is proud of his many billionaire friends and think they love him. They don’t. Their support is utterly transactional. They’re embarrassed by him. When they begin to think he won’t be re-elected they will turn, and it will be bloody and on a dime.

This will not end well. With his timing he’d know it. He should give an Oval Office address announcing he’s leaving: “America, you don’t deserve me.” Truer words have never been spoken in that old place. And he won’t be outshone by his successor. Network producers will listen to Mike Pence once and say, “Let’s do ‘Shark Week.’ ” But you know, America could use a shark week.

by Anonymousreply 291June 5, 2020 3:40 AM

If millions came to DC and stayed camped out, maybe he’ll be removed.

by Anonymousreply 292June 5, 2020 3:43 AM

Thank you so much R289, et al. That was a great read; I think I'll be quoting it a lot this election cycle.

by Anonymousreply 293June 5, 2020 3:45 AM

As a Bush republican Peggy's hostility to Trump is nothing new. She has been writing against him for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 294June 5, 2020 3:51 AM

We just tried that. Didn't work. Remember?

by Anonymousreply 295June 5, 2020 4:00 AM

So -If Trump were to resign, would Pence pardon him "to begin the healing?"

by Anonymousreply 296June 5, 2020 4:54 AM

R296: Probably would be a condition for resigning - as if.

by Anonymousreply 297June 5, 2020 4:58 AM

Dump and Ivanka should just fake their deaths, run off together and leave Jared, Barr and the GOP holding the bag of shit. They could change their names and live out their lives, engaging in incest and entertaining one another about how 'bigly' they pulled one over on America.

by Anonymousreply 298June 5, 2020 5:13 AM

I wonder if he wishes he'd never been elected. He really has had a lot to deal with this year. More than most presidents. I wonder if he sits in the Oval Office wondering how a publicity stunt for his TV show landed him in the place where he has to deal with a global pandemic and riots in the streets.

"I could be playing golf, sleeping with porn stars and sending Rosie messages about what a loser she is but no I have to deal with global extinction. Damn."

by Anonymousreply 299June 5, 2020 5:23 AM

R299, you assume he actually has the capacity for self reflection. He isn't that evolved.

All he does is sit around raging about the people who have "done him wrong" and how he can get revenge.

by Anonymousreply 300June 5, 2020 5:28 AM

I don't think he really fooled anyone about being a fake. Long before he ran for president he was considered a joke by most of American society. Where do you think the writers of the Simpsons got their inspiration from with that cartoon segment of him coming down the escalators to run for president 10 years before it actually happened? Even the Deplorables knew he was a liar but in spite of the facts, they chose him anyway. They lied too, they didn't really give a shit if he was good at business or other lies they repeated. They wanted to send an F-U to the world around them that seemed to be doing better than they were. He tapped into their misplaced anger and that is why they to this day they still support him.

by Anonymousreply 301June 5, 2020 5:39 AM

regarding Peggy Noonan's opinion piece, i have an opinion too:

[quote] In all this he gave up the game and explicitly patronized his own followers. It was as if he was saying: I’m going to show you how stupid I know you are. I’ll give you crude and gross imagery and you’ll love it because you’re crude and gross people.

Addressing the Americans here -- do you know someone who sat out the 2016 election intentionally? 46.1% of US adult citizens did not vote, so chances are you might. If 40% of polled Americans, or the Americans who vote cannot be swayed, are staunchly loyal,is that loyalty in spite of or because of his crimes, errors, and incompetence?

Does the knowledge that 178,207,075 US citizens comprise the nonvoters and Trump supporters have you reach for tranquilizers?

If Americans were ignorant, greedy, gullible and racist enough to vote him in or were passive enough not to vote, what assurance do you have that sufficient numbers have indeed woken? For all we know it could be only 65,853,514 million US adults who have an inkling the PO(tu)S is a menace and a threat to the nation.

by Anonymousreply 302June 5, 2020 5:40 AM

[quote] many of them (in the Senate) are not up for re-election this cycle,

Oh, yes they ARE. Most of the Senate seats up for election this year belong to Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 303June 5, 2020 5:54 AM

How are there not MORE riots in the streets for how police are treating citizens? Tear gassing people for the photo op? Shooting at the gay bar owner ON HIS OWN PROPERTY for "helping black lives matters protestors" (Which, I believe, isn't illegal). All things considered, the police just do whatever the hell they want and we're just supposed to take it? I really believe they feel empowered by the president who basically told them to shoot protestors.

by Anonymousreply 304June 5, 2020 6:06 AM

Why can't these cops get the death penalty? They should.

by Anonymousreply 305June 5, 2020 6:13 AM

r305 Minnesota doesn't have the death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 306June 5, 2020 6:17 AM

yes, Pence has been remarkably quiet

at the moment the SS Trump is on fire and taking on water

mother problem taped his mouth shut

by Anonymousreply 307June 5, 2020 11:12 AM

problem = probably

by Anonymousreply 308June 5, 2020 11:13 AM

Thank you, r291.

Noonan wouldn't be the first to point out that Trump, since his campaign to be the POTUS, insults a segment of Deplorables mostly, but, and I'll add to the insult - it goes right over their heads.

What r301 said.

A greater portion, however, are under no illusions about Trump. They know he's an ignorant, bigoted, incompetent, dangerous, stupid blowhard who has no business being within 100 miles of the White House, let alone sitting in the Oval Office.

They know Trump uttered false oath on January 20th, 2017.

But, in weighing the balance between, on the one scale, acting upon whatever shred of a "better angel" they may possess, and, if they could not vote for Hillary, not voting at all in 2016, or, on the other scale, even if it was, if Trump lost their own single "Fuck You" contained in their vote, that single "Fuck You "proved too irresistible to 78,000,00 voters in WI., MI, and PA.

All those, immediate post-election, "deep" meaningful essays about how Trump captured the "forgotten white working class"- pure twaddle.

He captured them alright (or, did they capture Trump? He hates being the POTUS) but not because of their angst. As r301 points out- Trump embodies their middle finger sitting at the Oval Office desk. It's a thrill to them, and their ain't nothing deeper about it than that.

by Anonymousreply 309June 5, 2020 11:52 AM

[quote] I think the only thing that changes for Trump is that he doesn't get to live in the White House anymore. He'll still tweet every day.

Yeah, but at that point he is just a washed up reality start, Twitter can shut down his account since it's not vital to the American people to hear what he thinks when he is taking a dump. And trust me, he will be off the rails with Tweets if he loses. Twitter wont have a valid excuse to cut him off unless they really want to show how in the basket they are and were for him.

by Anonymousreply 310June 5, 2020 12:09 PM

No, we won't have to endure or imagine a miserable existence after this election - Frumpy, Barr, Kushner and their host of demons are going to find themselves in jail! My only concern at this point is HOW hard are we going to be on them. We all know what a wus Drumph is. He's never had to be accountable for anything his entire life. It's not going to be easy. In the back of my mind, I'm wondering how he/they bother with such a massive cover up. There's just no way they are going to get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 311June 5, 2020 12:15 PM

I am worried about the spawn. Don Jr. He will attempt to rise up like the devil from a fire and take over as his father's successor. That family loves the idea of being a dynasty. And Junior, will be loved by the Repugs jumping ship looking for a new one to ride.

by Anonymousreply 312June 5, 2020 12:22 PM

I certainly hope Trump isn't removed. I want that motherfucker to lose and then show the world what a lowbrow piece of shit sore loser he is. And you know that's exactly what he'll do. There won't be a gracious bone in his fat body. I seriously doubt he'll even attend Biden's inauguration. And if he's removed and that shitstain Pence gets in the first thing he'll do is pull a Gerald Ford and pardon Trump for any and all federal crimes he may have committed "for the good of the country". Thank God he wouldn't be able to pardon him for state crimes.

by Anonymousreply 313June 5, 2020 12:26 PM

Pence can use the Ford model (the US President, not an Eileen Ford model) and pardon Trump for federal crimes that he committed or "may have been committed" both before he was President and during his Presidency.

It's the New York state crimes that are out of the reach of Pence which is why those meetings that have been going on between Cuomo and Trump pique my curiosity.

In my daydream, Cuomo, in the privacy of their meetings dispenses with niceties and just flat-out tells Trump "Don't fuck with me" and then lays it out to Trump that if he does, there will be an "accidental" leak of all the shit NY state investigators have on him.

I notice Trump doesn't attack Cuomo.

by Anonymousreply 314June 5, 2020 12:26 PM

oops, r313

Great minds type alike.

by Anonymousreply 315June 5, 2020 12:28 PM

Oh, and totally agree with r313.

Trump, of course, doesn't have the integrity to put country first and appear at Biden's inaugural, assuming Biden is elected.

I still maintain that if Trump believes he'll lose bigly , he may not run for re-election, leave the Repugs holding the bag at the Repug National Convention, and take his chances with a NY state prosecution.

"Going down swinging" is a valorous act which calls for the swinger to have integrity and honor; two things absent from Trump.

by Anonymousreply 316June 5, 2020 12:33 PM

I predict he will skip the debates and double down on his base. Why bother, Biden would wipe the floor with him and it's not like he is going to say anything to a Democrat to change their mind about what a piece of shit he is. He will instead pull out his old playbook and hold MAGA rallies every day.

by Anonymousreply 317June 5, 2020 12:34 PM

And please, please, please, I hope someone will turn Trumps playbook on him this time instead of "taking the high road". That's how we lost! What do I mean? Put Stormy Daniels and other woman he either paid or assaulted in the front row of the debate.

I know Biden cant do it, but all we need is a Senator to give up one of their seats to do so. That's how the Re pugs did it to Hillary. Would love to see Maxine Waters smirking in the front row too. Dont think for a minute that Trump is going to miss the opproutinty to bring back that bitch that claimed sexual asult on Biden to the front row. I am telling you now he's going to do it.

For the love of got, the Dems need to stop bringing a nurf ball to a gun fight. Drop the low road / high road routine, this is not normal times. Fight fire with fire, people will respect you for that. It's a psychological game, time to get on board.

by Anonymousreply 318June 5, 2020 12:47 PM

^^For the love of GOD!^^

by Anonymousreply 319June 5, 2020 12:49 PM

One more reason for Trump to be nervous: someone's hurling lightning bolts at the Washington Monument

And it would appear that someone is pissed off...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320June 5, 2020 12:49 PM

Trump has punched and deleted Murkowski, stating that he looks forward to campaigning against her in two years.

She might as well switch parties now.

I read somewhere (can't remember where - not DL) that they think Murkowski didn't do this a vacuum - she did this at the urging of others to test the waters. Dump can rage all he wants, but if her constituents shrug their shoulders - or openly support her - then others will jump on the pile. You'll never get Graham, Cruz & some of the other lackeys to turn on Dump, but even minimal dissension in the repig ranks might be enough to turn the tide, now that Mattis has given them air cover.

by Anonymousreply 321June 5, 2020 12:56 PM

[quote]I wonder if he wishes he'd never been elected.

I used think he felt like that in the first six to twelve, maybe eighteen months. Now he's running wild... he is totally unconstrained. He wants another term.

There was a post here or on another thread that resonated with me, where the poster speculated the fear he has is for Ivanka, possibly himself, over tax evasion in New York State. That makes sense. Not sure what they can do to avoid it.

I don't fear a dynasty... they seldom ever pack the punch of the first version. Jr isn't really a force... he'd have a rump base appeal but I think Trump as a political brand is on the wane.

by Anonymousreply 322June 5, 2020 1:21 PM

[quote] someone's hurling lightning bolts at the Washington Monument

And has been since the monument was built. When construction was completed it was the tallest lightning rod in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323June 5, 2020 1:25 PM

He's not going to jail. He's not going to resign before November. He's going to double and triple down his attacks, his behavior, his vengeance. He's going to call people names, he's going to maintain the GOP's slavish support, and he is going to fight like hell with Putin's help to rig the election, while suppressing the voters in his most needed-to-win states, where and how he can.

All that said, Biden has a lot of things in his favor. He is much more beloved, loved and liked than Hillary Clinton. People will happily vote for him who wouldn't or didn't vote for her (I happily voted for her, btw). Since everything is going to get a lot worse, Biden will look better and better to any doubters who aren't Dump's 40 percent, the base of deplorable who will never desert Dump. It's not going to be easy to win an election away from an incumbent who has amassed as much unquestioning blind support as Dump has, has the edge with the electoral college, and will use every tool in his corruption tool box. But these are extraordinarily desperate times, and they will get worse in the next several months (hopefully, for Biden). And when they get worse reelection becomes a dimmer possibility for Dump.

by Anonymousreply 324June 5, 2020 1:45 PM

To clarify: I mean if things get worse in the country, that's only good for Biden. Sorry to say, but it's true, I think. And I don't think the law and order will fly at all, if Dump tries to impose it. It would be city after city on fire. The pandemic has proved that people love their entitlement, their "freedoms," etc. Martial law is not a good look.

by Anonymousreply 325June 5, 2020 1:48 PM

[quote]Martial law is not a good look.

The Deplorables think it's great, so long as it's the right people who are under the jackboot.

by Anonymousreply 326June 5, 2020 1:54 PM

Yeah, but they're the minority, R326. And it's not a good look to anyone else in the country.

by Anonymousreply 327June 5, 2020 1:56 PM

In order to become a full-on dictator Donnie needs the Pentagon behind him. Is our military establishment really going to fall in line behind this senile narcissist who can't hold a thought for more than two seconds?

by Anonymousreply 328June 5, 2020 2:08 PM

Judging by Join Chief of Staff Chairman Milley's memo to all the armed forces a couple of days ago, I think not.

by Anonymousreply 329June 5, 2020 2:13 PM

[quote] He will instead pull out his old playbook and hold MAGA rallies every day.

Not if there is a relapse of Covid which is pretty likely.

And you are being exceedingly generous R324 in claiming that his base is 40% of the population.

Most surveys have it closer to 35% and it is shrinking daily

by Anonymousreply 330June 5, 2020 2:15 PM

R330, I've never been accused of being exceedingly generous to Dump, but I hope you're right and that his numbers are shrinking. I used 40% because that's the percentage that's been mentioned repeatedly, but I'm happy to think it's dwindling.

by Anonymousreply 331June 5, 2020 2:19 PM

FYI, latest polling suggests Iowa is a dead heat with Trump and Biden tied. This is not good news for Biden. This is a reminder that in spite of his complete mishandling of the Virus, and despite the economy crashing, and the extreme hardship it has presented to the agriculture and food processing industry, Trump has the support of 48% of the people in Iowa. And one reason may be that to people in the heartland, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, etc. Black lives don't matter. They see these protests and the violence as a threat, and the cops just doing their jobs. They hate the violence but they don't blame law enforcement. Racism clouds their thinking. Their insular lives informs their reflexes. So we need to be very aware . Not saying we ever had a chance in most of these hard core Red states, but I am saying they may be a bellwether not that Biden is running strong, ( he is) but that there could be a backlash. I just don't want us to take anything for granted. We need a complete blow out. I lived through the Nixon PResidency. I Remember how ugly things got in 67 & 68.

by Anonymousreply 332June 5, 2020 2:23 PM

Or, you could argue, the Democratic nominee tied in a hard red state is actually pretty encouraging. Because if it weren't for the carnage of the last three years, no Democrat would be close.

by Anonymousreply 333June 5, 2020 2:26 PM

I mean, 3/4 Iowa Congressional districts are held by Democrats right now. And Steve King (now defeated in a primary) barely hung on last time.

by Anonymousreply 334June 5, 2020 2:31 PM

Well, Biden can afford to lose Iowa if he wins Texas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335June 5, 2020 2:39 PM

Steve King is gone and I am hoping Trump will be gone in November. Republicans are good at stealing the vote, so I am not sure.

by Anonymousreply 336June 5, 2020 2:46 PM

Regards legislators in the northeast - they're usually pretty liberal. Even the Republicans are more moderate. Now down here in the Georgia area we've got that Kelly Loefler - and she wasn't ELECTED. but APPOINTED. She's gonna lose.

by Anonymousreply 337June 5, 2020 3:25 PM

Kelly Loeffler is fighting against a Republican challenger, Collins the imbecile Congressman that has his lips firmly planted on Trump's asshole. Kemp, the governor appointed Loeffler against the wishes of Trump. Collins would be a disaster, truly. He's nuts. But he has a base in his district and Loeffler was harmed by the stock scandal.

I'm hoping Loeffler will defeat Collins in the primary. She'll be easier to beat. The bad egg is Perdue. Rotten bastard. Ossoff is the most likely Democratic challenger. Hoe he wins the nomination. Tomlinson is the top Dem challenger to Ossoff. She's a tough campaigner but might be too tough for the pearl clutchers in GA.

by Anonymousreply 338June 5, 2020 3:39 PM

I wish, but he gets away with murder.

by Anonymousreply 339June 5, 2020 3:45 PM

Literally, at this point.

by Anonymousreply 340June 5, 2020 3:46 PM

[quote]Pence can use the Ford model (the US President, not an Eileen Ford model)

Ladies and gentlemen, a phrase you will read on Datalounge and nowhere else!

by Anonymousreply 341June 5, 2020 4:11 PM

"Earlier this week, Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner and Hope Hicks were formulating the plan for the President to walk to St. John's Church and hold up a bible for a photo op."

If these three are in charge of Trump's public appearances then we are in VERY good shape. I would not hire them to launch a supermarket.

(link is from CNN which M won't let us link to for unknown reasons)

by Anonymousreply 342June 5, 2020 7:27 PM

Where is Pence? He wasn't at the historic Churchill evoking photo op. Could he be sick and they are keeping it quiet?

by Anonymousreply 343June 5, 2020 7:59 PM

No-- he was up to something today R343 -- Google it

I think he was talking to a group of black people about something and I'm sure they were not happy about having to talk to him.

But it was this afternoon, Friday June 5, 2020

by Anonymousreply 344June 5, 2020 8:40 PM

Trump was in Maine today. He visited Puritan Medical Products in Guilford, makers of the in-demand swabs used in Covid-19 testing. Public health officials in Maine and other states have complained that a shortage of swabs has hampered their ability to massively scale up coronavirus testing.

All the swabs made during his visit today need to be discarded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345June 5, 2020 11:28 PM

America's unemployment rate falls to 13.3% as economy posts surprise job gains

New York (CNN Business) The American economy just got a shocking piece of good news: The job market may be recovering well ahead of schedule.

The US unemployment rate surprisingly fell to 13.3% in May, as the economy gained 2.5 million jobs.

It was the largest monthly gain in new jobs since the Bureau of Labor Statistics started tracking the data series in 1939. The labor market rebounded from April's drastic losses, when a revised 20.7 million jobs vanished. The unemployment rate last month soared to 14.7% as businesses shut during the coronavirus lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 346June 5, 2020 11:29 PM

If Trump loses he will immediately launch his 2024 campaign. As a presidential candidate he will get constant airtime, just like he did when he ran in 2016. His twitter account won’t be suspended or banned because he will be a presidential candidate. He will rage tweet all day long, call radio shows, call Fox News. A million SuperPacs will spring up to give him money. He will hold rallies everywhere — he’ll charge for tickets & if cities try to ban him he’ll scream censorship. They’re censoring a presidential candidate! Every republican will endorse him & nobody will try to run against him.

He can always do something much worse than you can imagine. He always does.

by Anonymousreply 347June 6, 2020 12:31 AM

So it hit me this afternoon what Trump's game plan is likely to be.

IF his poll numbers continue to sink and Biden is up double digits, he will claim that the Democrats have rigged the election somehow with mail-in voting (remember this is Trump, his arguments don't need to make sense) and as such he is dropping out of the race.

He will point to a court decision that allows mail-in voting as proof that the elections are rigged and blame it all on the "corrupt Dems" and "Crooked Hillary" and then continue to claim (on whatever social media site will have him and/or Fox News) that Biden is an illegitimate president because of that (remember too that Trump's favorite tactic is to call someone else something he himself is, e.g., "Crooked Hillary")

by Anonymousreply 348June 6, 2020 12:39 AM

R346 if not an actual Russian plant, is one of the most obnoxious and stupid Trump troll on DL. He even defends Putin and makes derogatory comments about Gorbachev. He’s certifiably nuts!!

by Anonymousreply 349June 6, 2020 12:41 AM

R347 How will he do that from jail? New York State has the goods on him.

by Anonymousreply 350June 6, 2020 1:11 AM

Dump isn’t going anywhere. He knows he will be prosecuted the minute he’s not president. He will hang on by his fingernails.

by Anonymousreply 351June 6, 2020 1:32 AM

r345 Did Maine's senator express any concern about his visit?

by Anonymousreply 352June 6, 2020 1:33 AM

The governor of Maine shit all over Trump.

by Anonymousreply 353June 6, 2020 1:34 AM

R352: "Notable by her absence was Senator Susan Collins, a fellow Republican, who is locked in perhaps the most closely watched Senate contest in the country. Collins remained in Washington D.C., where she convened a Zoom meeting with local Maine officials about financial assistance for COVID-19 recovery and attended back-to-back campaign fund-raisers."

Boston GLOBE, June 5, 2020, "Amid national unrest, Trump visits small Maine town to tout his success"

by Anonymousreply 354June 6, 2020 1:40 AM

@Jack (CEO of Twitter) just shit all over Trump

It's getting more and more real

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355June 6, 2020 1:46 AM

From Governor Janet Mills of Maine

"Yesterday, I asked the President to check his rhetoric at the door and to lead us with courage and compassion through this difficult time. Sadly, but unsurprisingly, he continues to prove himself incapable of doing so.

"What Maine people heard today was more of the same incendiary rhetoric and insults he uses to try to divide us and to stoke tension and fear. What Maine people heard today was largely devoid of fact and absent of reality. What Maine people saw today was a rambling, confusing, thinly-veiled political rally. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356June 6, 2020 1:48 AM

^^Very on-message.

We need to keep hitting the "can't show compassion, divides Americans" message.

The core won't care.

But the independents and suburbanites will.

by Anonymousreply 357June 6, 2020 1:49 AM

13% is still an EXTREMELY HIGH unemployment rate. It was 3% in Jan 2020.

by Anonymousreply 358June 6, 2020 1:49 AM

George Conway: The President's Inhumanity Is Deeper Than We Knew

[quote] But it’s more than just narcissism that drives this failing, flailing president. However difficult they can be, even extreme narcissists can have consciences. They don’t necessarily cast aside behavioral standards or laws, or lie ceaselessly with reckless abandon. Trump’s behavior is conscienceless, showing utter disregard for the safety of others, consistent irresponsibility, callousness, cynicism and disrespect of other human beings. Contempt for truth and honesty, and for norms, rules and laws. A complete inability to feel remorse, or guilt. As a New Yorker profile of Trump put it nearly a quarter-century ago, Trump lives “an existence unmolested by the rumbling of a soul.” That’s Donald Trump’s problem yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359June 6, 2020 1:51 AM

So Trump was just spanked by a bunch of Generals...does it mean anything? Trump doesn't even know he should be ashamed. It all means nothing to him.

by Anonymousreply 360June 6, 2020 1:54 AM

So Trump was just spanked by a bunch of Generals...does it mean anything? Trump doesn't even know he should be ashamed. It all means nothing to him.

by Anonymousreply 361June 6, 2020 1:54 AM

[quote]So Trump was just spanked by a bunch of Generals

How can I get in on some of that action?

by Anonymousreply 362June 6, 2020 1:58 AM

I'm sorry, I am not good at remembering the names of political commentators, but one respected guy awhile back said he was 100% certain Trump would dump Pence as his VP, at the RNC. This was maybe March. Right around when Trump named Pence Corona Wizard.

Is this still a possibility?

by Anonymousreply 363June 6, 2020 2:03 AM

[quote] If Trump loses he will immediately launch his 2024 campaign

PUHLEASE! That fat bastard will be dead long before 2024.

by Anonymousreply 364June 6, 2020 2:03 AM

Trump has hurt this country more than you know and why does anyone think Trump has 45% support?? That is just ridiculose.

Trump will live to be at least 90 and I plan to see him in prison.

by Anonymousreply 365June 6, 2020 2:06 AM

[quote]George Conway: The President's Inhumanity Is Deeper Than We Knew

Speak for yourself, George. It’s not deeper than I knew. Maybe you couldn’t see it through Kelly Anne’s rancid pussy, I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 366June 6, 2020 2:09 AM

[quote] From Governor Janet Mills of Maine "Yesterday, I asked the President to check his rhetoric at the door and to lead us with courage and compassion through this difficult time.

Has this bitch just woken up from a 3.5 year nap?

by Anonymousreply 367June 6, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote] an existence unmolested by the rumbling of a soul.

What an exquisite phrase!

We have threads asking when will he die, and when will he be removed and how will he be voted out. But we have long ago surrendered the notion that he even has a superego to counterweight his id. He is beloved by his fans because they could only wish to be as unmoored as him; he is their anti-hero because only a minor deity could be as perfectly pure (-ly base) as he is. While the rest of us are bewildered at how something so wretched could exist at all, they are enthralled.

I'm feeling convinced that the stunt with the Bible is their proof. The see him as someone who doesn't need the trapping of religion like mortals because he descendant of it.

by Anonymousreply 368June 6, 2020 2:20 AM

--is descendant of it.

by Anonymousreply 369June 6, 2020 2:25 AM

"why does anyone think Trump has 45% support?? That is just ridiculose [sic]"

Because there are at least 100 million Americans who are some combination of the following: single-issue voters, out-of-touch, rabid, demented, gullible and greedy. Because the GOP Senators let him have his way and act like they'd all underscore him (unassisted) in an IQ test; if the Senators had any idea they'd be losing their seats they'd speak out and show some spine and courage.

by Anonymousreply 370June 6, 2020 2:25 AM

"why does anyone think Trump has 45% support?? That is just ridiculose [sic]"

Because there are at least 100 million Americans who are some combination of the following: single-issue voters, out-of-touch, rabid, demented, gullible and greedy. Because the GOP Senators let him have his way and act like they'd all underscore him (unassisted) in an IQ test; if the Senators had any idea they'd be losing their seats they'd speak out and show some spine and courage.

by Anonymousreply 371June 6, 2020 2:25 AM

R368 you expressed that very well.

by Anonymousreply 372June 6, 2020 2:27 AM

[quote] New York State has the goods on him.

It will literally take years to get Trump in court. Look at his taxes. We’ve been trying to get them since 2016. We still don’t have them because Trump’s lawyers file a million briefs & appeals.

by Anonymousreply 373June 6, 2020 3:04 AM

The appeals and briefs are based on the fact that he's President.

If he's not President...

by Anonymousreply 374June 6, 2020 3:11 AM

I've had R346 on ignore because of her previous trolling. I ignore extreme trolls and there are only a few I have on ignore, and R346 is apparently one of them. Is she extolling Dump, I'm guessing?

by Anonymousreply 375June 6, 2020 3:56 AM

Yup, r375. Dump troll. I have it on ignore too.

by Anonymousreply 376June 6, 2020 4:00 AM

R375/R376 it’s about the wonderful jobs numbers. 🤪

by Anonymousreply 377June 6, 2020 4:03 AM

[quote] FYI, latest polling suggests Iowa is a dead heat with Trump and Biden tied. This is not good news for Biden. This is a reminder that in spite of his complete mishandling of the Virus, and despite the economy crashing, and the extreme hardship it has presented to the agriculture and food processing industry, Trump has the support of 48% of the people in Iowa.

That's pretty good news for Biden. Iowa is like 90% white. So this means that at least 40% of the white electorate is for Biden. That is very significant in states where more than 10% of the population is non-white.

by Anonymousreply 378June 6, 2020 5:34 AM

OP please define shortly - it's already been almost a week.

by Anonymousreply 379June 6, 2020 7:11 AM

R377 would have you think 13% unemployment is "wonderful job numbers" when US unemployment was 3.5% six months ago.

And the May figure - surprise, surprise - contains a "misclassification error" that lowered the figure. The real unemployment rate is roughly 16.3%

"When the U.S. government’s official jobs report for May came out on Friday, it included a note at the bottom saying there had been a major “error” indicating that the unemployment rate likely should be higher than the widely reported 13.3 percent rate.

The special note said that if this “misclassification error” had not occurred, the “overall unemployment rate would have been about 3 percentage points higher than reported,” meaning the unemployment rate would be about 16.3 percent for May.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics, the agency that puts out the monthly jobs reports, said it was working to fix the problem.

“BLS and the Census Bureau are investigating why this misclassification error continues to occur and are taking additional steps to address the issue,” said a note at the bottom of the Bureau of Labor Statistics report."

Trump knew this (assuming he's able to process information) but touts the incorrect figure. Our Little Miss Sunshine poster should have, too, assuming he's interested in being accurate. It was up on the newswires and in the WaPo long before he shitposted the incorrect numbers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380June 6, 2020 10:57 AM

Dear OP, we are waiting.

by Anonymousreply 381June 6, 2020 11:09 AM

I honestly have no idea how this monster is still alive with all of the constant stress, an obvious and long standing amphetamine addiction, obesity and heart issues, etc.. He must be the son of Satan. Extremely disturbing all the way around.

by Anonymousreply 382June 6, 2020 11:14 AM

FOR R346

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383June 6, 2020 11:57 AM

Trump won’t dump Pence now. Evangelicals are too important to him.

by Anonymousreply 384June 6, 2020 12:40 PM

Yup r384. The good news is if they keep Pence, they’ve given up on white suburban women. The only reason I believe they considered Nikki Haley in the first place was they thought 1-they would never lose the evangelical vote, even if they dumped Pence and 2-they saw their critical problem/gap with white suburban women.

by Anonymousreply 385June 6, 2020 1:51 PM

Pence isn't going anywhere. I never thought he was.

by Anonymousreply 386June 6, 2020 1:55 PM

Haley would have been a bad move for now: Woman of color would not drum up the white supremacy vote, and did Palin and Hills teach them nothing? Women don't just vote for a woman anymore, they expect a good candidate, regardless of sex.

by Anonymousreply 387June 6, 2020 1:58 PM

"Women don't just vote for a woman anymore"

Did they ever, R387? Besides, how many women have run for president?

by Anonymousreply 388June 6, 2020 2:01 PM

Today is the Anniversary of D-Day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389June 6, 2020 2:05 PM

Why would Trump select anyone who remotely has a chance of getting more attention than he? Pence has been an excellent lapdog for him. Haley would get too much publicity on her own, drawing the focus away.

by Anonymousreply 390June 6, 2020 2:10 PM

And now that Miss Lindsay's been outed, Pence must really be feeling the heat.

by Anonymousreply 391June 6, 2020 2:25 PM

Who unleashed National Guard troops against peaceful protestors?

Bill Barr: “Beats Me.”

by Anonymousreply 392June 6, 2020 2:30 PM

[bold]No ‘silver lining’: Trump faces voter backlash amid crises[/bold]

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — At the end of one of his most turbulent weeks in office, President Donald Trump was eager on Friday to boast of a better than expected jobs report to argue the country is poised for a booming recovery. Benjamin Lund was not moved. The 45-year-old Milwaukee man is a longtime Republican who was raised in a conservative family in the political battleground of Wisconsin. At the onset of 2020, he had little doubt that he would support Trump’s reelection.

Then the pandemic hit and Lund lost his restaurant job. A processing backlog meant he went two months without unemployment benefits. He later watched with dismay Trump’s hard-line response to the police killing of George Floyd and the civil unrest that followed. “The people living the economic reality of what’s soon to be a recession, it’s a very different set of numbers,” Lund said. “It’s almost, in a sense, disrespectful to try and put a positive spin on where we are as a nation right now.”

That’s a stinging warning sign for Trump in a state that’s crucial to his bid to keep the White House. Though the president would rather voters focus on an unemployment situation that’s less catastrophic than some economists predicted, Trump’s whipsaw ways are colliding with a pandemic and civil unrest of a scale the country has not seen since the 1960s.

With five months until the election, Trump has time to solidify his standing. But some Republicans fear voters are simply worn out by Trump. “People are just so disgusted with how things are,” said Republican strategist Terry Sullivan, who managed Florida Sen. Marco Rubio’s 2016 presidential campaign. “Even the most die-hard Trump supporters are exhausted.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393June 6, 2020 2:45 PM

Makes sense R393

There's sort of a straight line from radio "shock jocks" to Trump

Same "they say out loud what everyone else is thinking"

But no one listens to shock jocks 24/7

And we've had Trump 24/7 for three plus years.

Even many of his staunchest supporters must be getting bored.

by Anonymousreply 394June 6, 2020 3:35 PM

[quote] The appeals and briefs are based on the fact that he's President.

Because he’s a rich white man who can still pay cadres of lawyers to keep him from getting near a courtroom. You’ll see. Trump has weaponized the judicial system for decades. He knows he just needs money to pay lawyers to stall court proceedings for years, like he did before he was president.

by Anonymousreply 395June 6, 2020 4:16 PM

[quote] “Even the most die-hard Trump supporters are exhausted.”

Yup, and if Biden wins I'm unpersuaded that his moronic, die-hard biker and gun-toting rabble will, as Bill Maher and others predicts , begin something akin to a civil war.

Instead, those fat, lazy fuckers will, say, "Well, that was fun - OWNED you libs for four years" and call it good.

And if Trump refuses to vacate the White House, so be it. US Federal Marshalls are nothing to fuck with. Much is made of tactical and swat teams , but, seriously, US Federal Marshalls will cut a bitch.

You know who I do worry about if Trump files suit if the election results show he lost?

I'll just put it this way, with a nod to Mario Puzo- 5 white men in USSC Judicial robes carry more power than 1000 fully armed marshalls, military or national guard troops.

I'd like to believe Roberts, Alito, Gorsuch, Thomas and Kavanaugh would say, "Fuck it. We're on the bench for life. C/ya Trump", but I waver on that.

by Anonymousreply 396June 6, 2020 5:05 PM

Della, I mostly agree and completely hope so.

I think Roberts would not let the country down.. probably Kavanaugh too, who presumably fancies he's tarnished enough, and maybe even Gorsuch.... Unless they are truly corrupt to the core, in a conspiracy that sounds like fiction, which I guess is possible but I don't believe.

by Anonymousreply 397June 6, 2020 5:16 PM

Oh, I totally get you, r397.

It's astounding that we have to apply outlandish surmise; the stuff of a John Le Carre novel, to real, actual events and it's totally legitimate on our part to do so, given what is happening.

We are, indeed, "living in interesting times."

by Anonymousreply 398June 6, 2020 5:23 PM

Seems to me, anyone who has a brain should hate Trump, he is disgusting in every way.

by Anonymousreply 399June 6, 2020 5:23 PM

For the record R380, I was responding about R346 and his stupid comment. But thanks for the scold and the economic thesis,

by Anonymousreply 400June 6, 2020 5:27 PM

I agree Della/R396

We're at a point where the overwhelming narrative is that Trump is a Bond-level bad guy and anyone who follows him is just as bad.

If Biden wins on overwhelming victory, which is seeming likely, with Dems taking the Senate, that will accelerate the pattern, as no one wants to be allied with the world's biggest loser.

by Anonymousreply 401June 6, 2020 6:43 PM

I dream of the Senate being taken. I'd love to see Mitch go down because his life would be pointless... I'd love to see Miss Lindsay go down because she'd be bored and pointless. I'd love to see what becomes of somebody as disliked as Ted Cruz.

On the other hand, I'd love to see Mitch and Miss in the minority, forced to watch the new world from ring side seats.

by Anonymousreply 402June 6, 2020 7:07 PM

R219 Wealth Management Advisor.

by Anonymousreply 403June 6, 2020 7:28 PM

This site has the Dems netting 2 seats in the senate right now-gaining AZ, CO and NC but losing in AL.

We need to start giving money to the senate candidates, in particular in Maine, Iowa, Montana and Georgia. And with Lady G about to the outed in the mainstream media-SC too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404June 6, 2020 7:32 PM

35% of the electorate needs an intervention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405June 6, 2020 7:33 PM

The circumstances surrounding Mitch McConnell’s discharge from the Army have been covered up. Someone needs to find out what happened! McConnell is no innocent.

by Anonymousreply 406June 6, 2020 7:38 PM

Here's a Bill Kristol tweet with a video from a Trump voter who has changed his mind about voting for Trump again. He doesn't want to vote for Biden, but wants to vote against Trump.

These people annoy me. They had plenty of indicators what Trump was going to be like in 2016. But they went with the inexperienced con man and showman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407June 6, 2020 7:54 PM

R407, I knew Dump was going to be a disaster, but when he won, I was prepared to suck it up for four years. I don’t think anyone thought he would be as horrific as he is today, although we knew he would be terrible. I think the reason is his declining mental capabilities. In 2016, we really worried about his politics and his right-wing minions. Now added to the mix is his increasing mental volatility which was not as severe in 2016. This is not meant as am excuse for those who voted for him, but I believe if Dump had not regressed so obviously mentally, things would be a bit more stable and the race would be closer. He is very obviously mentally diminished, and that is what’s drawing those who voted in 2016 for him to vote Biden in 2020. In fact, they’ll go back to voting for Republicans in 20204.

by Anonymousreply 408June 6, 2020 8:10 PM

If you don't want to vote for Trump, but can't stomach voting for a Democrat, just DON'T VOTE.

by Anonymousreply 409June 6, 2020 10:37 PM

Am I the only one who has zero patience with all these up-in-arms, who are just SO disgusted by Dump but don't know if they can vote for Biden? I guess, then, Dump isn't as disgusting enough and never will be, or they really think the GOP is a party to stay affiliated with in spite of Dump, the party that has enabled him all along?

As for the Reaganite Repugs headed in the media by George Will, Bill Kristol, etc., etc., while I'm gratified they see the shame of the situation their party has brought down the nation, they ultimately do not hold the Repuglican Party responsible for what it is, so fuck them, too.

by Anonymousreply 410June 6, 2020 10:44 PM

*Am I the only one who has zero patience with all these up-in-arms Repuglicans,

by Anonymousreply 411June 6, 2020 10:44 PM

I wouldn’t be so cavalier about types like Kristol and Will, r410. The truth is that we will need every last one of their votes.

by Anonymousreply 412June 6, 2020 10:47 PM

And then when the Democrats come in and improve the economy after the debacles of the previous Republicans (think Clinton, think Obama), and Democrats fall out of favor with the idiot American base, where will these sage old conservative pundits be? Back to where they were.

My point is that yes, it's impressive they're stating the obvious. But to not do so would be idiotic, and it gives them perches as pundits on MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 413June 6, 2020 10:51 PM

Don't give Kristol more credit than he deserves. He gave us Sarah Palin and her never-ending family shit show.

by Anonymousreply 414June 6, 2020 10:55 PM

My point exactly, R414.

by Anonymousreply 415June 6, 2020 10:57 PM

[quote] ], I knew Dump was going to be a disaster, but when he won, I was prepared to suck it up for four years. I don’t think anyone thought he would be as horrific as he is today, although we knew he would be terrible.

I was terrified of how awful he would be and that was when I thought he’d be checked by McConnell and company when he got too out of line. I was young and naive then.

by Anonymousreply 416June 6, 2020 11:17 PM

[quote]I don’t think anyone thought he would be as horrific as he is today

Some of us absolutely knew. Anyone who didn’t was either being obtuse or they simply weren’t very bright.

People are acting like this election is the most critical one of our lifetimes. In reality, the 2016 election was. The damage that has been done to our international reputation and to the norms that kept the federal government working to the extent it had been (which, granted, wasn’t terribly well) is probably irreparable.

If Trump is voted out this year, we might be able to recover to a degree, but the international community will never trust us again. Our standing on the world stage will never be the same, and that’s to our great detriment.

by Anonymousreply 417June 6, 2020 11:27 PM

R417, I don't know if the damage is irreparable except regarding two things you didn't mention: SCOTUS and the appointment of judges.

That damage is irreparable; it will be felt for a generation or more.

by Anonymousreply 418June 6, 2020 11:30 PM

After reading that wildly touted article about how fascism slides in under the cover of normalcy in The Atlantic this morning, I realize that the value of the Never Trumpers and George Will, etc is that they are the only ones who can counteract the ho-hum response. So many of us have been ranting from the beginning so our voices have lost impact.

But, to have some of people who have been around since Reagan stand up and say, "NO! This is not what we fought for! This is NOT ok!", helps erase the numbing effects of rightwing media. Pray that it gets people to show up and shout out--that's our only hope.

by Anonymousreply 419June 6, 2020 11:31 PM

The people like Kristol who've been around since Reagan (and even further back, Wills) are considered old fossils. Deplorables don't know who they are, and the nationalists and racists don't care.

by Anonymousreply 420June 6, 2020 11:35 PM

[quote] The people like Kristol who've been around since Reagan (and even further back, Wills) are considered old fossils. Deplorables don't know who they are, and the nationalists and racists don't care.

Somewhat true. But they've seen some of them on Fox their whole lives. They know who Pat Robertson is.

by Anonymousreply 421June 6, 2020 11:38 PM

[bold]Analysis: White House, Pentagon tensions near breaking point[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422June 6, 2020 11:43 PM

And if he fires Esper, and considering how look it too to replace Mattis, by having no one in the job, does that give Dump a clear run to do what he wants over the summer and fall, militarily?

by Anonymousreply 423June 6, 2020 11:53 PM

I"m sure Jared can step in and do Esper's job, R423.

by Anonymousreply 424June 7, 2020 12:24 AM

Trump will try to put General Flynn into a top defense job if he can get away with it.

The Republicans may as well just ask Putin to send over some of his Kremlin bureaucrats to run the U.S. federal government.

by Anonymousreply 425June 7, 2020 12:38 AM

"If Trump is voted out this year, we might be able to recover to a degree, but the international community will never trust us again. Our standing on the world stage will never be the same, and that’s to our great detriment."

Thee is one person who has the respect of the international and congressional community - Joe Biden.

by Anonymousreply 426June 7, 2020 12:52 AM

[quote] And if he fires Esper, and considering how look it too to replace Mattis, by having no one in the job, does that give Dump a clear run to do what he wants over the summer and fall, militarily?

Tom Cotton.

And, the Governor of Tennessee will have somebody else sworn in before sundown

by Anonymousreply 427June 7, 2020 1:01 AM

Yes, the appointment of radical right wing SCOTUS justices and federal judges is going to have far-reaching consequences for decades to come. Long after Trump is gone and today’s GOP senators are dead and forgotten about.

Democrats have never taken SCOTUS and federal judgeships seriously, at least until McConnell pulled that stunt with Merrick Garland. And that’s a travesty, because absolutely nothing can be done about it now.

by Anonymousreply 428June 7, 2020 1:05 AM

It doesn’t matter if he comes or goes. If you see the protests tonight, it’s over for him.

by Anonymousreply 429June 7, 2020 1:07 AM

[quote]And, the Governor of Tennessee will have somebody else sworn in before sundown

Neat trick, since Cotton represents Arkansas.

by Anonymousreply 430June 7, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote]Thee is one person who has the respect of the international and congressional community - Joe Biden.

Yes, but this is bigger than Joe Biden, who will only be POTUS for 8 years at most (more probably only 4). The world has learned that our system of government is as vulnerable to being taken over by fascists as any Eastern European country, and our electorate is perfectly willing to be complicit in it.

For all anyone knows, after Biden leaves office, we could vote in someone who has all of Trump’s authoritarian tendencies, but without his self-obsession, short attention span, and lack of discipline. That is why they can’t trust us.

by Anonymousreply 431June 7, 2020 1:11 AM

[quote] Neat trick, since Cotton represents Arkansas.

Ooops. I should have checked that. Apologies.

But are you sure he represents anyone or anything other than war?

Regardless, even easier to replace then: Sarah Sanders

by Anonymousreply 432June 7, 2020 1:12 AM

I wonder if this will end like Ukraine. Considering everything else has been a carbon copy and it’s all the same players involved.

If so, were about in the 8th inning.

by Anonymousreply 433June 7, 2020 1:14 AM

There are NO REAL DLers WHO ARE SAYING THEY DON'T LIKE DUMP BUT CAN'T VOTE FOR BIDEN.

[bold] T H O S E B E T R O L L S , L A D S [/bold]

They're just here because it's easy to post on DL, people will argue back and they can test out how that argument works.

by Anonymousreply 434June 7, 2020 1:18 AM

CNN, which we can't link to has an article about how Twitler wanted 10K troops in DC and Milley said no and then called Schumer and Pelosi to warn them what is up.

Twitler increasingly isolated in fenced in White House.

by Anonymousreply 435June 7, 2020 1:21 AM

Trump wants to play golf, have Là Sénatrice caddy as usual, and then fly to flyover sites and hold his rallies. The problem for him, protesters will show outside his rallies by the thousands. And these will be type of protesters that won't be intimidated by MAGAts. Conflict will happen.

by Anonymousreply 436June 7, 2020 1:43 AM

100% R436

And the Republican National Convention is going to be a massive shit show for the same reasons.

by Anonymousreply 437June 7, 2020 2:15 AM

Repugs are jumping ship. Merkel isn't coming to Camp David. Trudeau's 22 second moment of silence. Ivanka's commencement address was cancelled.... Handwriting on the wall...

by Anonymousreply 438June 7, 2020 2:20 AM

Vegas odds say it’s over for the first crime family.

by Anonymousreply 439June 7, 2020 2:23 AM

[quote] Vegas odds say it’s over

in 2018 I lost $1000 on the Predict site gambling on the senate. But I remember bigger mistakes.

Shortly thereafter, though, the “Access Hollywood” tape and all its aftershocks slammed Trump down to +515 at Bookmaker.eu by the day of the final debate – appropriately enough, held here in Vegas – while Clinton looked prepared for a coronation as a -740 favorite three weeks before Election Day. Clinton wagers were flooding into the offshore and overseas books. Ireland sportsbook Paddy Power, looking to stem the seemingly inevitable tide, took the almost unprecedented step of actually paying off those who held tickets on Clinton – a $1 million hit, 21 days before a vote was even tallied.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440June 7, 2020 2:47 AM

The easiest way to remove him is to fucking vote for Biden in November.

by Anonymousreply 441June 7, 2020 2:52 AM

I suspect there was a lot of cheating going on in 2020 and 2018 which would have thrown off the odds.

But that cheating will now be factored in these odds, I imagine. The house doesn’t like to lose.

by Anonymousreply 442June 7, 2020 2:52 AM

As a matter of fact, the fact that Vegas was wrong both times is two data points that could be used to explore the cheating.

It’s almost it’s own evidence. They don’t usually lose.

by Anonymousreply 443June 7, 2020 2:54 AM

I hear and see false confidence all over this thread. This cunt is the president. He has exerted every presidential power at his disposal, he has a slavish political party at his disposal, he's ready to invoke martial law, and Putin is ready (again) to rig the reelection. And Biden isn't exactly Obama as Dump's rival. Your assumptions that Dump is over are greatly exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 444June 7, 2020 2:57 AM

Protestors won"t show at MAGA rallies. He'll have them in Bumfuk, Wisconsin. No urbane and allies for miles. Protestors will show at Biden rallies. I think Trump is done but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 445June 7, 2020 3:03 AM

R445 you’re right about that, but they certainly will be there for the Republican convention, as well as Dump’s properties when Dump is there, which are tellingly not in places like Bumfuck Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 446June 7, 2020 3:08 AM

[quote] Putin is ready (again) to rig the reelection

Putin didn’t do too much rigging in 2017, 2018, or 2019. Regardless of what was done in 2016, the more people who vote the more difficult it will be to steal the election.

by Anonymousreply 447June 7, 2020 3:10 AM

Unsurprising, former Republican President George H. Bush will not support Trump's re-election effort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448June 7, 2020 3:14 AM

^George W. Bush

by Anonymousreply 449June 7, 2020 3:16 AM

[quote] The people like Kristol who've been around since Reagan (and even further back, Wills) are considered old fossils. Deplorables don't know who they are

Pfft. Have you seen photos or video of Trump's KKK rallies? A lot of those people are hardly spring chickens themselves.

by Anonymousreply 450June 7, 2020 3:18 AM

Are they listening to Kristol, R450, if they're attendiing KKK rallies?

"Regardless of what was done in 2016"--like stealing a presidential election, R447?

by Anonymousreply 451June 7, 2020 3:21 AM

R447, what were the elections in those years you mentioned? Local elections, at best, apart from the midterms? Putin wasn't in on them? Maybe he didn't seem them as relevant.

by Anonymousreply 452June 7, 2020 3:26 AM

You also need to send it to his coworkers and family. HE will try to bury it and so will any sympathetic execs.

You need to spread it far and wide.

These people need to be shoved back under the rocks they crawled out of.

by Anonymousreply 453June 7, 2020 3:31 AM

At least their daddy is still alive. Don’t feel bad.

You’re a patriot and a hero to at least one poster here.

Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 454June 7, 2020 3:32 AM

[quote]5 white men in USSC Judicial robes carry more power than 1000 fully armed marshalls, military or national guard troops. I'd like to believe Roberts, Alito, Gorsuch, Thomas and Kavanaugh would say...

I agree with your point, but one of the "white men" you listed is a black man.

Clarence "Uncle" Thomas

by Anonymousreply 455June 7, 2020 3:45 AM

[quote] If you don't want to vote for Trump, but can't stomach voting for a Democrat, just DON'T VOTE.

If you don’t want to vote for a Presidential candidate, then don’t. But be sure and vote for Democrats in the down ticket races.

by Anonymousreply 456June 7, 2020 4:42 AM

Still waiting for news of the removal. Did we have a definite date and time?

by Anonymousreply 457June 7, 2020 5:11 AM

You're wrong about protesters not showing up to his kkklan rallies.

I've been at two protests in the greater Cincinnati area where the fucker has shown up. One was a kkklan rally downtown but the cops kept us two blocks away so that fat fool didn't have to see us.

The second one was a visit in 2017 in February near sycamore HS. Most protesters were closer to the facility where that lard ass was bloviating. Their idea was to get on TV to show that not everyone in this shit hole state wants this fucker around.

My idea was I wanted the sonofabitch to see me. So I stood on the drive route alone with a sign that said, "tick tock motherfucker". I was later joined by a female HS student.

We (me and this poor girl) were screamed at, harassed and threatened by the trumptards but the two of stood there and ignored them (which drove them crazy). The one cop standing in the street told this asshole trying to get in MY face (I made the HS girl stand behind me in case he wanted to start shit) that he needed to move along. Which pissed him off. (She was really scared and didn't realize what she was in for but I knew. I was ready.)

Fucking pisses me off that 1) because you don't see us on TV, you think nobody protests this fool in a red state and 2) this goddamned motherfucking shit stain is the only president I've seen in person.

Yes, he saw me and he saw my sign. The car drove right by us (me and the HS girl). Not 6 feet away. We were standing on the sidewalk.

Sorry to rant here and hijack. We are here. We show up. You may not see us but we are out here in large numbers.

by Anonymousreply 458June 7, 2020 5:58 AM

Kudos R458. I loved your story.

by Anonymousreply 459June 7, 2020 6:14 AM

You sound awesome, R458!

In regards to the comment "I think the reason is his declining mental capabilities." I wonder if he's actually declining or: he's no longer surrounded by even minimally competent people who can make up for this oh so many deficiencies. All that's left are the lackeys, wack jobs - and Jared. His con man schtick is fully exposed, making him furious so no matter how many CNN reporters he yells at, people see him for exactly what he is.

Which is not to say he's not crazy as fuck - I just think he's always been this way - people just never realized it was so bad.

by Anonymousreply 460June 7, 2020 9:42 AM

[quote]The Republicans may as well just ask Putin to send over some of his Kremlin bureaucrats to run the U.S. federal government.

They have already done this, DJT (Russian asset).

by Anonymousreply 461June 7, 2020 10:21 AM

Oops. You're right. I stand corrected, r455

by Anonymousreply 462June 7, 2020 11:08 AM

"Trump's approval rating remains resilient at around 40 per cent, with a large majority of Republicans still approving of his overall performance....

Thirty-seven percent of Republicans said the country is on the wrong track; 17 per cent of those said they would vote for Biden if the election were held now, while 63 per cent still plan to cast ballots for Trump."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463June 7, 2020 12:29 PM

It's June. If Trump made a deal with Pence to get a pardon, he could step down now, President Pence and Nikki Haley could run for the GOP ticket, and possibly mount a serious challenge to Biden. Pence is a Koch brothers lackey. There would be enough money to pay off the right people to make it happen. Could they beat Biden? Maybe not, but it might be close enough to steal. What ever happens, in December, PResident Pence pardons Trump. Then Trump can go on an extended visit to some foreign country, and never come back to face the music in NY.

by Anonymousreply 464June 7, 2020 12:56 PM

Didn't Haley make comments that were positive about the confederate flag? In today's political climate, she's toast.

by Anonymousreply 465June 7, 2020 1:56 PM

He would launch nuclear missiles rather than step aside for Pence. He's being advised by Putin. If you want to predict his next move ask, "What would Putin do?", build a fortress, install secret police, add 10k soldiers in the street, punish the blue states, reward the red, vanquish any critic? What's next? Activists and journalists start disappearing/falling from tall buildings, private detention centers, snitch hotlines, punish anyone who didn't sign your birthday card? At least Hitler had an ideology, Trump is a brain damaged, malignant narcissist on drugs, if you're not his friend, your his enemy. Period. He'll leave the White House in a box, but not before the Republicans have usurped power and installing their next dictator, like Pompeo.

I see a Scarface ending rather than Nixon.

(set design by Ivana)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466June 7, 2020 2:15 PM

Stupid fucking Hillary is going on about Bernie again and diverting attention from Trump so that #STFUHIllary is trending thanks to BernieBros.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467June 7, 2020 2:50 PM

Hillary is scum and mad that she is not queen.

by Anonymousreply 468June 7, 2020 2:58 PM

You're scum and mad that you're a queen.

by Anonymousreply 469June 7, 2020 3:00 PM

[quote]while 63 per cent still plan to cast ballots for Trump."

Every single one of those people needs to be shamed, vilified, ostracized, and boycotted.

Every.

Single.

One.

I don't care if they're friends, relatives, co-workers, or people whose businesses you patronize. Cut them out of your lives.

by Anonymousreply 470June 7, 2020 3:16 PM

What do we think about Trump’s announcement of removing American troops from Germany? Will the pentagon let him do it? Russia has been constantly staging incursions into areas where they should not be. It would be very encouraging to them if we were to take troops out of Germany, thereby tipping power in the postwar landscape again.

He’s pissed because Merkel refused to attend G7 & because she said she can’t stand being in the same room with Trump, Trump immediately called Putin, of course. Gee, I wonder where he got the idea to remove troops from Germany?

by Anonymousreply 471June 7, 2020 3:57 PM

I see the rabid Professional Hillary Haters are still loyal to Bolshevik Bernie (Cosplay Edition!), and stirring the pot again.

Look, people are interested in her opinions and story. She is already a historically significant person in American life, you can't expect people to not ask for her version of the phony media narrative!

by Anonymousreply 472June 7, 2020 4:14 PM

There are many pro Trump folks in the military base where I work. It’s so disappointing to hear. Rules prohibit both officers and enlisted from publicly commenting or criticizing the President, but most of the white personnel are very much in love with him.

by Anonymousreply 473June 7, 2020 4:27 PM

Of course there are R473. The military is rife with authoritarian lickspittles that would rather have a king than a president so long as he looks and acts the way they do.

by Anonymousreply 474June 7, 2020 4:32 PM

I’ve had to bite my tongue r474, just to keep the peace. So I talk about everything but the current political situation.

by Anonymousreply 475June 7, 2020 4:46 PM

[quote]President Pence and Nikki Haley could run for the GOP ticket, and possibly mount a serious challenge to Biden.

I just don't see that. Pence will hold the Jesus fools but lose the deplorables... he'll never provide the sideshow Trump does. Pence trying to trump a rally? Talk about a limp dick. The man is a eunuch in every respect.

by Anonymousreply 476June 7, 2020 4:57 PM

I second that R473; I work on a military base as well & its the same with military & civilian personnel; you can't help but roll your eyes at the irony because if Obama had disrespected the military brass the way Dump did, they'd be up in arms. Ditto for the civilian employees, despite the fact that Dump thinks they're worthless (which a lot of them are) and would gladly replace them with contractors. But when Dump is shitting all over them, they just smile and naturally assume he's talking about "those other people." That said, I don't think they love Dump so much as they hate that evil Nancy Pelosi, AOC & Chuck Shumer - plus the idiots ingest Fox News & Rush all day, so they're practically frothing at the mouth over the "dems" conveniently forgetting that we've got a repig presidenty & Senate.

by Anonymousreply 477June 7, 2020 5:37 PM

So you see? People say “Who are these 40%”? They’re the people R473 & R477 work with. And they’re probably even higher that 40% & closer to 50%. They lie to pollsters or they don’t vote. In some places it’s 80% or more pro-Trump. Most American whites are lazy & hateful. They listen to Rush & Fox all day & night to find out what they should think.

by Anonymousreply 478June 7, 2020 5:50 PM

I don’t agree. Most of the military people I know and work with are sick of this crap. They don’t like fascism. The see the effects of dictatorships more than anyone else.

They are appalled.

by Anonymousreply 479June 7, 2020 5:54 PM

We are way early in the election. Horrible things can be done by Trump between now and November. He will do them too.

The big cracks are starting to show in his universe, but they are cracks. They need to be canyons.

by Anonymousreply 480June 7, 2020 5:55 PM

That’s why all the generals felt comfortable pushing back. They military is not with him. I got news for you.

by Anonymousreply 481June 7, 2020 5:55 PM

OMG... lol... I don't even know what to make of this. Could it be faked? I mean, come on...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482June 7, 2020 6:02 PM

I have a few Facebook friends in the military, and I never heard a peep from them re Trump... until the virus and the market crash. One of them has been discreetly liking my anti-Dump posts and the other openly comments now on how batshit crazy he is. One is an officer, the other is a grunt.

by Anonymousreply 483June 7, 2020 8:54 PM

Pence has a personality of a dish rag. He would get the majority of the fundie vote and that is it.

by Anonymousreply 484June 7, 2020 11:43 PM

I haven't read any of the 484 previous posts. I apologize if someone has already said this. I think it is too late to remove him from office. If that were to happen now, his "base" (the ones with the home arsenals) would go on a rampage. Better we wait until the election and embarrassed the fuck out of him and his mouth-breathing followers.

by Anonymousreply 485June 7, 2020 11:56 PM

No, R485, it hasn't been said but waiting until November should be the last resort. He's literally insane and volatile. Last week indicates that the military brass is inclined to defend any Constitutional action and, for now, the Republican Party and the police are at least a bit stunned and retreating.

I don't like to wait until the last minute to pack for my vacation and I would rather not wait to send this asshole packing either.

by Anonymousreply 486June 8, 2020 12:03 AM

Imagine the pallid defence he would offer for four years of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 487June 8, 2020 1:28 AM

I can’t believe anyone in the military could support this draft dodging, bone spurs piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 488June 8, 2020 3:08 AM

Did not age well

by Anonymousreply 489June 18, 2020 3:12 PM

R489 - yeah, aged like milk.

by Anonymousreply 490June 18, 2020 3:15 PM

I have dee-plorable relations. Deeply deplorable. Who do not support Trump. They do exist.

by Anonymousreply 491June 18, 2020 3:33 PM

Nancy just referred to DUMP as 'Whats his name' in answering a question from Andrea Mitchell. Tweet storm on the horizon!

by Anonymousreply 492June 18, 2020 4:30 PM

Nancy just referred to DUMP as 'Whats his name' in answering a question from Andrea Mitchell. Tweet storm on the horizon!

If she's going to provoke him (and that happens so easily), why not go for broke & call him Fat Ass or Bunker Boy?

by Anonymousreply 493June 18, 2020 7:00 PM

She already called him "morbidly obese." I LOVE her.

by Anonymousreply 494June 18, 2020 7:26 PM

Trump thought Finland was a part of Russia according to John Bolton. I don't think I've ever known someone that stupid.

by Anonymousreply 495June 18, 2020 9:15 PM

[quote]Trump thought Finland was a part of Russia according to John Bolton. I don't think I've ever known someone that stupid.

Even I'm not that dumb!

by Anonymousreply 496June 18, 2020 9:18 PM

The gloves are OFF. All the contempt and the anger is on center stage. GOOOOOD!

by Anonymousreply 497June 18, 2020 9:26 PM

[quote] Trump thought Finland was a part of Russia according to John Bolton. I don't think I've ever known someone that stupid.

Did you ever watch the Jaywalking segments on Leno’s Tonight Show?

by Anonymousreply 498June 18, 2020 9:32 PM

R495

Theresa May said he didn't know the UK had nuclear weapons.

Hasn't read a book let alone the tightly written intel summaries.

Pompeo thinks he's a moron.

Is a thieving grifter focused on nothing but his own re-election.

And the complicit Republican Party continues to support him.

by Anonymousreply 499June 19, 2020 1:05 AM

Finland used to be a part of Russia -Under the tsars. It was a political ping pong ball during the Finnish Wars between Sweden and the Russian Empire. It became independent from Russia in 1917 when the Bolsheviks seized power.

Do I think the Orange Menace had this in mind when he asked? Of course not! But even a broken clock can be right twice a day.

by Anonymousreply 500June 19, 2020 1:05 AM

[quote] Trump thought Finland was a part of Russia

Wait...it’s not?

by Anonymousreply 501June 19, 2020 1:10 AM

What's Finland?

by Anonymousreply 502June 19, 2020 3:19 AM

Whoops

by Anonymousreply 503June 19, 2020 3:23 AM

As I look back on Mueller and his fucking report, I'm pissed off all over again. IMO he could have done a lot more. And honestly, I believe Barr pressured him to wrap it up. So many strands of the investigation left unresolved. And so many pending cases...WTF happened to all those cases?

Then to the Senate. Those rotten fuckers could have dumped his ass and cut their losses.

by Anonymousreply 504June 19, 2020 3:44 AM

Yes in the history books or the books that tell the truth Mueller will be a disgrace. I wonder if they had dirt on him.

by Anonymousreply 505June 19, 2020 4:31 AM

The Republicans are "policy free" party. They want power. They will not eat their own about policy. They will not destroy and Republican who has power - is in office. And not in any way that would damage the party. It might have helped the party to have dumped Rump early on but they didn't see it that way and I can understand. POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 506June 19, 2020 11:26 AM

Agree with r504 and r505. When he testified, he sounded like a bungling fool. Nobody (other than the Dems at least trying) has done the right thing in this whole mess.

On a separate note, the rally in Tulsa is gonna be a clusterfuck

by Anonymousreply 507June 19, 2020 2:17 PM

Melania told him she wanted to go to Tahiti and he took her to Haiti. I think he may be the stupidest man on the planet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508June 19, 2020 4:20 PM

He's peeing on himself about the polling. His numbers are very bad. He needs the rallies to perpetuate the fiction that he is still popular. But the venue in Arizona where he spoke to young people only holds about 3500 people. I'm hoping if he gets more bad news from the courts, the polls, the crowds anything he finds humiliating, the pressure will become unbearable.

IMO I think Barr is pursuing two tracks. He's looking at potential prosecutions if Trump leaves office which is why he is paying attention to the SDNY, and he is also looking into ways to cancel or challenge the results of the November election. Stage one is to see if they can stop Biden from taking office, step two is a pardon for federal crimes from Pence...unless he believes he can pardon himself, and shut down state investigations.

by Anonymousreply 509June 24, 2020 1:00 PM

[quote] Stage one is to see if they can stop Biden from taking office

Even if they somehow managed to do that, Trump would still no longer be POTUS, as his term will have expired.

by Anonymousreply 510June 24, 2020 6:26 PM

[quote]I'm hoping if he gets more bad news from the courts, the polls, the crowds anything he finds humiliating, the pressure will become unbearable.

SCOTUS is near the end of its term we should hear the decision on his taxes within the next 2 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 511June 24, 2020 7:52 PM

WHY would anyone think, with 5 months left to his term and everything to lose should he be voted out, that he would voluntarily quit?

WHY would anyone think, with 5 months left to his term and the GOP taking the trouble to exonerate him in his impeachment trial and everything else they let him get away with, that they would bother to remove him now?

Neither of those scenarios will happen. Ever. Ever .Ever.

by Anonymousreply 512June 24, 2020 8:06 PM

If he loses the Supreme Court cases, and the polling continues in its current trajectory, I can imagine him trying to negotiate immunity from future prosecution in exchange for resigning.

by Anonymousreply 513June 24, 2020 8:35 PM

R513, as president he can already pardon himself. He cannot pardon himself, however, from New York state--when he's out of office. He's much safer in office.

by Anonymousreply 514June 24, 2020 8:39 PM

Barr is probably trying to get the SDNY in line right now.

by Anonymousreply 515June 24, 2020 8:41 PM

This is why he is so desperate to get reelected. He knows him and his sleazy family will go to jail once he is out of office.

by Anonymousreply 516June 24, 2020 8:54 PM

Trump will be lucky if he manages to live to November. If he catches COVID at one of his masks-off rallies he's going to end up riding down Pennsylvania Avenue in a horse drawn caisson.

by Anonymousreply 517June 24, 2020 9:20 PM

The White Supremacists think he's their only chance to get rid of the brown people and the completely insane Angelicals think he can get rid of abortion. Both will never leave him.

by Anonymousreply 518June 24, 2020 9:23 PM

They won't be going to jail, either, R516. That's the third fallacy in all of this.

R517, don't get our hopes up.

by Anonymousreply 519June 24, 2020 9:25 PM

R516 I think Trump and his family are more concerned about losing their money than going to jail.

by Anonymousreply 520June 24, 2020 9:30 PM

Can you imagine the all-out war Trump will wage if the Supreme Court were to rule that he had to release his tax returns? I mean, they probably won't rule against him. But wow, imagine if they did! It would be utter insanity every day until the election.

by Anonymousreply 521June 24, 2020 9:31 PM

If Dump’s support craters to the low 30s, I do believe the GOP will try and make him an offer he can’t refuse. Of course, they’ll still back him publicly until then. If Dump’s approval keeps diving, the GOP will be facing a monumental wipeout—and I don’t think cheating would get them over the finish line in this case. It would be too much of a risk as well to fix an election so vastly. Trump is in it to the end, he knows he faces indictments once he leaves office. The key is to make him an offer—Godfather style.

by Anonymousreply 522June 24, 2020 9:34 PM

"If Dump’s support craters to the low 30s, I do believe the GOP will try and make him an offer he can’t refuse." I do not, R522. The will weigh the potential fallout, but they don't know what that really be, and they might bet the house they'll be lucky and stay behind him.

R521: "Can you imagine the all-out war Trump will wage if the Supreme Court were to rule that he had to release his tax returns? I mean, they probably won't rule against him. But wow, imagine if they did! " That is exactly the kind of wishful thinking vs reality that defines this thread.

by Anonymousreply 523June 24, 2020 10:34 PM

They're already making offers. A lot of them are scared.

by Anonymousreply 524June 24, 2020 10:59 PM

R524, ...?

by Anonymousreply 525June 24, 2020 11:05 PM

R523, here’s a lesson—Republicans do not believe in luck. They do not believe in chance. Do you think Mitch McConnell will depend on luck to keep the gravy train going? Do you not know what characters we are dealing with? Believe me they will hedge their bet—they’ll support Dump publicly, until they don’t. The key, as I said before, is to make Dump an offer Godfather style.

by Anonymousreply 526June 24, 2020 11:10 PM

Could Rump wake up with a dead Jared in his bed?

by Anonymousreply 527June 25, 2020 12:45 AM

R526--what do you mean, "here’s a lesson"? What you mean is, "Here's my opinion."

And here's mine: there won't be any Godfather-style offer. That's absurd.

by Anonymousreply 528June 25, 2020 2:34 AM

No I meant here’s a lesson, r528. And as far as Godfather type offers, you think they haven’t happened? Maybe not a threat of death, but you’re naive to think they haven’t happened in the political world.

by Anonymousreply 529June 25, 2020 2:43 AM

So where does all your insight come from, R529? And: No, what you meant was: here's my conflated, know-it-all opinion. That's not a lesson, hunty.

by Anonymousreply 530June 25, 2020 2:48 AM

He's not resigning, and they won't make him.

by Anonymousreply 531June 25, 2020 2:50 AM

I think William Barr is the clean up guy. He there for a reason and at a certain point, he might be the guy who talks Trump into leaving.

I get the lesson" R526 is talking about, and I agree the Republican leaders leave nothing to chance. Right now you gotta know that people like Karl Rove and the Koch organization along with the Mercers and others like them, are all focusing on the Congressional races.

Trump may well be on his own right now. That rally in Tulsa was no accident. It was a lesson and whether or not Trump learned that lesson, only time will tell. I read the other day that his advisers want him to clean up his act, but he isn't capable.

When the media exposed the fact that Trump was begging China, Ukraine, Russia, etc.etc.etc. to help him get re-elected, it tells me that he doesn't trust the people he needs within the Republican leadership, to be there to help him. The Republicans may never publicly break with Trump. But I have a sense that right now they are doping out how the salvage Congress without him, if possible.

by Anonymousreply 532June 25, 2020 12:02 PM

[quote] I second that [R473]; I work on a military base as well & its the same with military & civilian personnel; you can't help but roll your eyes at the irony because if Obama had disrespected the military brass the way Dump did, they'd be up in arms.

There was near-insurrection when Obama was CIC. There is huge crossover between the military and white nationalists. They are trained by taxpayer dollars. Most of the gun-toting morons protesting the lockdown were former military.

by Anonymousreply 533June 25, 2020 12:36 PM

I think geography plays a big part in whether the personnel on a military base support Trump. When you have a volunteer army, it is very often tradition in families to go in to the military. These are usually guys whose fathers and older brothers were all military. Then, when they get discharged, they become cops...

by Anonymousreply 534June 25, 2020 12:42 PM

You know, James Carville was on with Brian Williams last night and once again claims he believes Trump will drop out rather than face the humiliation of defeat. He said he has been analyzing and deep diving on all the data and the polling and it is all very consistent. Trump is going to get beat really bad. He was funny. He said, "Face it Democrats. Get used to it. You're going to win."

Now they're was a line of credible speculation or rumor, that Billy Barr reached for the SDNY U.S. attorney because he would not let go of the Prince Andrew line of investigation on the Epstein matter. But I have to also believe that Barr is attempting to wrap up any lines of investigation that implicate Trump or his family in crimes.

Donnie's biggest concern is going to jail. So if Barr can give assurances that can be handled then yeah, he will resign. Because this virus is really upsetting him. He can't wish it away. He can't cover it up. And it is getting worse. His economic recovery is not working.

He is campaigning, but it hasn't moved the numbers. I know his people tell him if he gets out here his numbers will improve and they are advertising in select markets, but the numbers are very bad. Bad enough for the Republican leadership to want him out. They will never publicly admit it. But they do.

by Anonymousreply 535June 26, 2020 3:10 PM

Trump will "get sick". It'll be a health issue. Because he will never accept defeat.

by Anonymousreply 536June 26, 2020 3:11 PM

Not happening. Not ever. He will become more toxic, more insane, more ass-holish than anyone can ever imagine. He had Roy Cohn as a mentor. So don't even think this is a possibility. An asteroid that wipes out earth will hit us in a month has more of a chance happening.

Not only that, we still are in grave danger that he will win again by the Electoral College and not the popular vote. There is more than enough time with his buddies that he installed to commit more crimes, start a war, fuck something up really bad, and the we would be stuck with another term.

So keep dreaming. If he dies in office from something wrong with him is the ONLY way he is leaving early.

by Anonymousreply 537June 26, 2020 5:07 PM

I think the odds of this happening just doubled. Susan Collins brow must be furrowed over this report of negligence/incompetence/conspiracy/treason (pick one or all).

Trump signs a get out of jail card for him and his family and He resigns due to illness. He will still have (white) power over his followers and gets to keep tweeting, watching tv and playing golf, when he "recovers" he'll tour like Neil Diamond.

Pence/Haily can bring in the Jesus freaks and the non-white republicans. They need to keep the election close enough to steal, and this ticket will do it. (Think of all the 8 million little babies who will be murdered during the BIden administration). Save 8 million babies Vote Pence/Hailey.

by Anonymousreply 538June 28, 2020 12:50 PM

His bone spurs will act up again.

by Anonymousreply 539June 28, 2020 1:48 PM

If a serious and powerful movement builds to oust him from office, he will 'trump' it by withdrawing from the 2020 race. That will take the gas out of any movement to oust him.

He will declare a huge victory in his first four years, taking credit for all the great things he will claim to have done. He will pronounce it the right time to turn over the reigns, and claim that he and the American people are being treated unfairly by unnamed nefarious sources. His proof? Same as always. "Everybody says so." And then he will have months left to pardon anyone who might rat him out.

This will also remove him from any risk of racking up the largest loss in history, come November. He genuinely fears that.

by Anonymousreply 540June 28, 2020 2:38 PM

'Mother' come home, now may be our moment!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541June 28, 2020 2:47 PM

R540 -- turn over the "reigns"?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 542June 28, 2020 2:54 PM

There is six months left in Trump's term, including over two months after election day. He can do much more damage during this period.

Get his corrupt and incompetent ass out of there now. And don't trust a damn thing that Bill Barr does. He wants Trump as Emperor.

by Anonymousreply 543June 28, 2020 2:58 PM

Well, if Trump drops out, Pence won't be running with Haley. She is way too smart. She will run in 2024. She would not want to be associated with anything stinking of Trump. That's why she left when she did.

by Anonymousreply 544June 28, 2020 3:35 PM

Trump would go then Pence would go (knows too much). Then there woud be a Mitt/Haley R ticket. Love it or hate it, that is the playbook and people definitley would go for it!

by Anonymousreply 545June 28, 2020 4:11 PM

*definitely

by Anonymousreply 546June 28, 2020 4:12 PM

Awwww!

“Under the current trajectory, President Trump is on the precipice of one of the worst electoral defeats in modern presidential elections and the worst historically for an incumbent president,” said former Trump political adviser Sam Nunberg, who remains a supporter.

Nunberg pointed to national polls released by CNBC and New York Times/Siena over the past week showing Trump receiving below 40 percent against Biden.

If Trump's numbers erode to 35 percentage points over the next two weeks, Nunberg added, “He’s going to be facing realistically a 400-plus electoral vote loss and the president would need to strongly reconsider whether he wants to continue to run as the Republican presidential nominee.”

by Anonymousreply 547June 28, 2020 4:16 PM

If Trump resigned, it would not be due to an illness excuse. That would make him look weak. R540 is on the mark.

by Anonymousreply 548June 28, 2020 4:16 PM

Trump has no intention of dropping out. He intends to cheat like hell with help from corrupt Republican officials and precinct plants throughout the country. There are plenty of them they are continuing to find. And Putin will have his operation doing dirty deeds again on an enhanced and new levels.

Koch, Mercer, DeVos/Prince, Beal, Perelman, Zuckerberg, etc., and other big Trump & GOP contributors, will have the Trump campaign flooded with cash, including his unaccountable PACs. How much of this could be used post-election?

If Trump loses still with cheating, he'll declare the election was fixed against him and claim the results were invalid. Shit Mitch and clan will side with Trump. Turd Barr will back Trump and insist Trump not vacate his office and be re-inaugurated.

Protesters will take to the streets. Barr attempts to implement the coup d'etat plan. The killer for them though, is that the military brass will refuse to order attacks on the U.S. citizenry. U.S. Federal Marshal's at the behest of Congress and the courts, will arrest Trump, Barr, and cohorts, and haul them away.

by Anonymousreply 549June 28, 2020 5:09 PM

R549 is the most likely scenario^

by Anonymousreply 550June 28, 2020 5:15 PM

He will leave office, either after he is defeated or before, if he and his family are given immunity from any criminal prosecution. The country, anxious to get him out, will agree.

by Anonymousreply 551June 28, 2020 6:01 PM

R549 is somewhat correct, up to arrest of people. If he wins, he will take over completely. We will just watch.

by Anonymousreply 552June 28, 2020 6:16 PM

Everybody calm down, he's not going to win.

by Anonymousreply 553June 28, 2020 6:34 PM

R549 has no idea how any of this works.

by Anonymousreply 554June 28, 2020 7:57 PM

[quote]Pence/Haily can bring in the Jesus freaks and the non-white republicans. They need to keep the election close enough to steal, and this ticket will do it. (Think of all the 8 million little babies who will be murdered during the BIden administration). Save 8 million babies Vote Pence/Hailey.

Bravo. You managed to spell Haley's name two different ways -- both of them incorrectly!

by Anonymousreply 555June 28, 2020 8:01 PM

r544 Why do people keep spouting this nonsense about Pence being the automatic replacement nominee for the GOP? Just because he become President doesn't allow him to just take Trump's place on the ballot.

by Anonymousreply 556June 28, 2020 8:02 PM

R556 Depends on when it happens. If Trump resigned after being renominated, Pence becomes President. The Republicans would have to go through the formalities of renominating him, but at that point, who else could mount much less run a campaign? Or for that matter, would want to? The question of who's names are on the ballot is a good one and would depend, I assume, on the printer's schedules.

If Trump were to resign (highly unlikely, IMHO) before the convention there's a chance someone other than Pence would be nominated but again, he'd be the President of the United States at that point, making it pretty tough for anyone in the party to force him out as the nominee. If they don't have enough on him to make him resign, they don't have a credible reason to replace him.

It wouldn't be an automatic replacement, but what are the alternative scenarios?

by Anonymousreply 557June 28, 2020 8:09 PM

If Agent Orange resigns, won’t that leave him vulnerable to being immediately arrested by NY Attorney General Letitia James?

by Anonymousreply 558June 28, 2020 8:10 PM

The only way I see him resigning is if he loses the election. But even then, it’s highly unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 559June 28, 2020 8:14 PM

r558: THAT threat is what he wants removed and why he hasn't resigned yet (also the debt he owes Russia).

by Anonymousreply 560June 28, 2020 8:15 PM

555, No one cares, but thanks, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 561June 28, 2020 8:19 PM

What are we up to now? Three quarters of a million of these fantasy posts? 800,000 ? A million?

by Anonymousreply 562June 28, 2020 8:30 PM

Do tell us how it works, Boris @ r554.

by Anonymousreply 563June 28, 2020 9:42 PM

R555

by Anonymousreply 564June 28, 2020 9:55 PM

R555

by Anonymousreply 565June 28, 2020 9:55 PM

Jared and Ivanka probably grifted half a billion if not a cool billion. I'd say they wouldn't mind leaving and Daddy can't stay there without those 2.

by Anonymousreply 566June 28, 2020 9:56 PM

Trump’s beatable. He needs to stay in the WH until Nov. 3.

by Anonymousreply 567June 28, 2020 9:58 PM

R545 I think it would be Paul/Haley and I'd be scared if it came to that.

by Anonymousreply 568June 28, 2020 10:15 PM

Can you imagine how the Trump White House staff will leave things for the incoming Biden team? I fully expect them to piss on the carpets and leave human excrement on the furniture and smeared on the walls...

by Anonymousreply 569June 28, 2020 10:39 PM

Agreed r566. And they've got most of their cash in foreign accounts out of the clutches of the IRS.

by Anonymousreply 570June 28, 2020 11:35 PM

r541 I love that Karen grew out her hair. SO much better then the bob she used to wear.

by Anonymousreply 571June 29, 2020 6:41 AM

No one will try to remove Trump from office. But they might ask him to pull an LBJ and renounce his candidacy for re-election. This gives Trump the time to obstruct justice and derail future investigations to the best of his ability while offering up the WH to a soft spoken Pence.

They could also hand the reigns over to Romney, but like another poster said, no one would want the job with Trump there because they would have to spend every day explaining their opinion of Trump's latest tweet.

I can see the President dropping out of the 2020 race but there is no upside to him resigning.

by Anonymousreply 572June 29, 2020 6:46 AM

R542, please read R572 for filth.

by Anonymousreply 573June 29, 2020 7:43 AM

Rand Paul is an annoying showman eager to display his antics and look contrary with twisted logic. Someone is going to beat up his smug ass. Oh wait, ..........

by Anonymousreply 574June 29, 2020 8:23 AM

R572 - Fox News has spent at least a year smearing Mittens name into the mud...24 hours a day. He is enemy #1 (right behind Obama, Hillary and other power Democrats anyway). Their rapid cult members who intake nothing but Fox, Rush Limbaugh, etc. see Romney as a traitor to the first degree. To turn that around in 5 months is not realistic. Those Rethugs who had even an ounce of dignity and reasoning and had the "audacity" to publicly denounce Trumpy in any way (who are so few that you can count them on one hand) have already been sacrificed on the altar of the GOP. Tom Cotton, Rand Paul or Ted Cruz might be the only viable/sufficiently known candidates that they could unearth in time. Congress has plenty of pathetic sycophants, but very few have "respected" resumes such as a Senator. I can't imagine the House clowns such as Gaetz, McCarthy, Nunes, Jordan or the likes having the clout to take over (and talk about skeletons). Closet cases Moscow Mitch and Miss Lindsey would never put themselves in such a position and mess up their already comfy roles (nor would they be liked enough to run for POTUS). I realize that Trumpy Bear is the greatest shit-show of a clown with a horrible background to make it so far in American politics - but even the GOP knows that lightning will not strike twice. He had a "celebrity" factor (as embarrassing and disgusting as it is) that none of their actual politicians can match. My money is on that quack Cotton when it comes to their future front-runner.

by Anonymousreply 575June 29, 2020 8:28 AM

There's only one thing more ridiculous than the orange buffoon at the HW, that is the fairy who's been predicting on DL since 2016 that Trump would resign, be impeached or taken down. She's so delusional it's not even funny anymore.

Sadly reality shows us this mediocre racist pig will be reelected and we'll have to stand him and the annoying wishful thinker for another 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 576June 29, 2020 8:43 AM

The orange Asshole will only leave (just days before the general election) if the US agrees to pardon him and all family members in the USA. Then he's guaranteed a "win". The Dems are so weak, maybe NDP, along with Nadler, would account this and therefore eliminate all that work that elder folk are not to thrilled to do.

Yes, that sounds cynical, but how often have you seen them respond to anything? I haven't seen either NPD or Nadler on what they feel about anything in quite some time! Just crickets.....How the hell can they convey anything to the public? They have 'no comment' on every wrongdoing Dump has ever done. Not even a chirp about Russia paying assassins to hunt US soldiers down. What are the Dems saying so far? You guessed it, NOTHING!

by Anonymousreply 577June 29, 2020 9:20 AM

R577 My Senator Chris Murphy has been calling out the Trump crimes all weekend

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578June 29, 2020 10:51 AM

I'm OP: I stand by my prediction! Here is the leading story on Fox(!) today. They want him out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579June 29, 2020 10:57 AM

[quote]offering up the WH to a soft spoken Pence

Not the only thing thats soft, believe you me.

by Anonymousreply 580June 29, 2020 10:57 AM

R579 Have you ever seen a Hollywood movie? Trump's political pacing follows a typical Hero's Journey. We're at the "Major Setback" point, heightening the drama for the eventual comeback. Next up: The Final Push, probably marked by a triumphant Convention speech. I bet the writers at Fox are already drafting their effusive flattery.

I trust the cinephiles can point us toward a better source.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581June 29, 2020 11:20 AM

Trump will keep pushing for a second term. But he does not control what leaks out. The worse he polls, the more things are going to leak. Just like this business with the Russian bounties on American soldiers. The story has been know in the White House for four months, but it did not come out until Pee Brain's polling numbers are down in the shitter.

Now is the time for members of the GOP to start leaking what Don Rumsfeld called the 'Unknown unknowns.' We don't have access to the most scandalous information. At least, not yet. But no one can bring the heat like allies who have turned on you. And now that he's a political liability, they will all turn on him.

Hold onto your hats, girls!

by Anonymousreply 582June 29, 2020 12:57 PM

R579, you’re right, thats astonishing coming from Fox News. We know the Fox polling organization is very above board, but for the “News” Dept to even contemplate a story like this is a shocker. Either they’re trying to get Dump to turn his attitude around, or they’re preparing for a Dem landslide.

R581, no doubt that could be part of it, but that depends on Dump being able to turn shit around, and THAT would depend on Dump completely changing his personality. Unless his staff zombified him and took control over his mind, that’s not going to happen.

R580, I have you blocked, and I only block trolls, so whatever you have to say, maybe say it on Yahoo.

by Anonymousreply 583June 29, 2020 1:01 PM

OP are you going to start a second thread, since we’re getting close to 600? Don’t want to step on your toes.

by Anonymousreply 584June 29, 2020 1:14 PM

Golf and Miss Lindz.

Trump had a glorious & satisfying weekend!

by Anonymousreply 585June 29, 2020 1:44 PM

R585, do you think Lindsey sucked him off, way out there on the links???

by Anonymousreply 586June 29, 2020 1:45 PM

R580 funny & truthful.

by Anonymousreply 587June 29, 2020 1:51 PM

My guess would be rimming r586.

by Anonymousreply 588June 29, 2020 1:53 PM

[quote]But he does not control what leaks out.

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 589June 29, 2020 1:55 PM

R586. It is a resort with hotel rooms.

by Anonymousreply 590June 29, 2020 1:59 PM

With mattress to make pee on?

by Anonymousreply 591June 29, 2020 2:04 PM

If EVER it will be in August when a second shoe drops.

by Anonymousreply 592June 29, 2020 2:16 PM

I’m quite pleased that Trump will have an icky, uncomfortable week! Happy 4th 🇺🇸 🧨

by Anonymousreply 593June 29, 2020 2:28 PM

Hunny, shoes are dropping all over the place.

My prediction is that Sean Hannity will run for President in 24 or 28. And he'll win.

by Anonymousreply 594June 29, 2020 2:46 PM

And yet, 594, he is still POTUS. So...............

Second shoe has not yet dropped. Not one that drives him out. If he does not leave in August, he will not leave.

But, I am betting he loses IF he stays.

by Anonymousreply 595June 29, 2020 2:53 PM

Part 2 when part 1 fills up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596June 29, 2020 3:01 PM

Well, last week apparently, our people had to meet with the Brits and explain this to them, so the notion Trump didn't know is bullshit. And Trump administration knew the news was going to leak and had to rush to inform the Brits who also have some troops there. THis story is going to light up that fucker all week. So when we see him laying wreaths or doing fireworks remember that. American Soldiers were assassinated by bounty hunters paid off by the GRU, Putin's goons. And he knew. Happy 4th of July, motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 597June 29, 2020 3:22 PM

Trump'll be at Mt Rushmore for the 4th (against all advice, both because of the Covid and the potential environmental disasters crowds and fireworks and flyovers could create) in front of the likenesses of four white men and against the backdrop of news stories saying how he ignored Putin's efforts to kill the troop's he's supposedly honoring.

And his Republican lickspittles will continue to grovel before him, praising his every word and deed.

by Anonymousreply 598June 29, 2020 3:29 PM

In R579's link, Fox News didn't even use a "flattering" photo of him this time!

by Anonymousreply 599June 29, 2020 3:44 PM

His facial expression is that of any mentally-handicapped or added person in that photo at R579.

"Donnie, Donnie, look at the camera Don-Don, look at the birdy and smile for Mommy, Don-Don."

by Anonymousreply 600June 29, 2020 3:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!