Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fire, pestilence and a country at war with itself: the Trump presidency is over

A pandemic unabated, an economy in meltdown, cities in chaos over police killings. All our supposed leader does is tweet.

In reality, Donald Trump doesn’t run the government of the United States. He doesn’t manage anything. He doesn’t organize anyone. He doesn’t administer or oversee or supervise. He doesn’t read memos. He hates meetings. He has no patience for briefings. His White House is in perpetual chaos.

And he lies incessantly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 5, 2020 2:55 PM

This is embarrassing, mortifying and disgraceful. The rest of the world is looking at this and wondering what the hell is going on in the United States?

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2020 3:46 AM

That article is (another) good summary of the mess that is Trump

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2020 3:53 AM

Actually, he's probably only getting started. The current state of chaos only serves him.

Anyone who's destroying property and rioting because they think it reflects badly on Trump is a fool, and playing into his hands.

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2020 3:59 AM

Trump is not “getting started,” R3. There are no “hands” to play into. He’s not there. He’s not plotting. He has no schemes anymore. He’s just staring into space. Events have overtaken him, and he is paralyzed.

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2020 4:19 AM

Actually r3 has a point. Trump lost the suburbs in 2018 and that’s how we got the house back. Will the suburbs run back into his arms if the country is really about to spiral out of control? It’s quite possible. This whole thing has me nervous, although I understand the rage.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2020 4:25 AM

And I still won’t be surprised if America re-elects the orange turd. Too many stupid people in this country.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2020 4:27 AM

Unfortunately, you'll probably be looking at this dumbfucks' re-election, come November. We are talking about the same country who elected George W. Bush

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2020 4:30 AM

Most of the country is rightly viewing this chaos as failed Democratic leadership. These are NOT independent and Republican voters destroying their cities and towns, especially at a time when so many have lost so much. There is a LOT of white fury right now too and you can bet your ass they will vote for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2020 7:06 AM

I wouldn't bet on that, R4. He could still declare martial law, suspend democratic processes like the upcoming election, hold Dems and media figures responsible, and start having them arrested. Cops are still largely on his side. He could institute a pogrom against blacks, whom he would hold responsible for all the looting and burning. He could nationalize the surviving media. He could make himself 'president for life.'

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2020 7:16 AM

I want to see that helicopter falling in flames from the sky with that piece of shit and his family inside.

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2020 8:37 AM

R10. Must-see TV!!

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2020 8:58 AM

Did a Trump presidency ever begin? As far as I can see, he's never stopped campaigning.

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2020 12:07 PM

"There is a LOT of white fury right now too and you can bet your ass they will vote for Trump."

You're so full of shit R8. The GOP has been playing the race card since at least 1968, when Tricky Dick Nixon started the "Silent Majority" bullshit. For 50+ years, this red herring has been tossed out there and used as race bait and I think a lot of Americans, especially the suburban white voter, sees it as the bullshit it really is. Don't get me wrong, Trump has the Deplorables in his pocket, but thinking white people know the stupid ruse the GOP has been using for these many years.

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2020 12:29 PM

If you think that the unrest will help his re-election you are mistaken. Most people — aside from his most ardent deplorables — can see that this gigantic, empty husk of a man is a disaster. The fact that they turned off the lights at the WH and he is cowering in a bunker is all you need to know. He is a bloviating fraud, and people understand that. Nothing more than a coward — quite the opposite from the image he wants to portray.

He will lose and it will be quite decisively.

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2020 12:56 PM

I'm tired of this "playing into his hands," R3. I don't believe that for a minute. He has no strategy. He grasps at straws. These riots aren't going to help get him reelected. The economy will kill him.

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2020 1:25 PM

R9, you really need to take some meds. None of that will happen.

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2020 1:26 PM

No we're not, R1. We're probably getting better analysis of the administration on a weekly basis than you are, given the weight of propaganda you suffer. Many of our radio and TV shows have regular US correspondents who are professors of history or politics, immunologists, ex-Congressmen and so on who are able to give expert commentary, fairly secure in the knowledge that Mango Mussolini won't hear them (since after all, "overseas" doesn't really exist).

Two things we can't understand is how even the very stupid can still support him by this time, and why your stock market isn't on the floor with paddles being applied. What possible signs can either group have that ANYTHING is OK? I mean, how much cocaine is Wall Street on at this point?

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2020 1:52 PM

True R1, and I think part of the problem people are having is that we're not used to this. Trump isn't even close to the first embarrassing president we've had, but most of the rest were quite some time ago and no one alive has experienced this.

People were mortified by Taft, an obese fascist, who only got 8 electoral votes when he ran for reelection. Coolidge and Harding were also completely awful, and through much of the 1920s, America was seen as a joke. I would argue that even Nixon didn't inspire as much embarrassment as the presidents of the 1920s did.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2020 2:08 PM

R18, to say Dump "isn't even close to the first embarrassing president we've had" is disingenuous. Dump FAR outweighs any other president for oafish stupidity and raging incompetence. Globally, he's a laughingstock. Taft may have only won 8 electoral votes when running for reelection, but so is Dump an obese fascist. Sorry, not buying your argument there were no less than 3 other presidents more disdained than this flaming pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2020 2:17 PM

Most embarrassing, btw, not first.

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2020 2:20 PM

R8 That's some world class spin. So blatantly off key I suspect you are an algorithm not a human.

But there's real concern the election will be crooked... and Trump could well stick around. And this is so very, very far beyond partisan politics. The country is sliding off a cliff.. pandemics, corrupt oligarchs, demolishing American legal norms, civil unrest, white supremacist provocateurs, climate change corroding world economy, food production and supply lines devastated leading to famine...

Trump's second term:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2020 2:22 PM

We have now entered the "My Pet Goat" phase of the Trump presidency, when Trump realizes that major shit is going down and he has no clue how to respond, so he just sits in stunned silence.

by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2020 2:31 PM

Trump is terrible. He's hurt the country. So have a lot of other presidents and people in power. The United States has been an international laughingstock before, multiple times. Saying so isn't defending Trump, it's just stating a fact, and there's no reason to get defensive about it.

by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2020 2:33 PM

Is he throwing in the towel?

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump·2h

Sleepy Joe Biden’s people are so Radical Left that they are working to get the Anarchists out of jail, and probably more. Joe doesn’t know anything about it, he is clueless, but they will be the real power, not Joe. They will be calling the shots! Big tax increases for all, Plus!

by Anonymousreply 24June 1, 2020 2:39 PM

[quote]The rest of the world is looking at this and wondering what the hell is going on in the United States?

Honestly, I think what the world is wondering now is what the country will do when given the chance in November. Nothing that comes out of America surprises anybody anymore.

And I would venture that if you think a Biden presidency is going to lurch everything back to normal, you've got another thing coming. Trust is earned and the country is weakened. Because Biden may be next but there's no guaranteeing who follows him. And we've seen what the country can do with its vote and how the Republicans can govern from within their chambers. Trust is earned.

by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2020 2:40 PM

Trump is trying to play the Deep State card again, but kind of weird that he's saying Joe "doesn't know anything about it."

His tweet will pay to his idiot base, the ones who think George Soros is behind all this. That's what Trump is hinting at.

by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2020 2:42 PM

Damn....

I guess it is over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2020 4:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 1, 2020 4:59 PM

Okay, so the orange imbecile was taken into the White House bunker, but why were the WH outside lights shut off leaving the building in darkness?

by Anonymousreply 29June 1, 2020 6:09 PM

[quote] We're probably getting better analysis of the administration on a weekly basis than you are, given the weight of propaganda you suffer.

Who is "we"? The Guardian is not wrong but they have hardly been on the cutting edge of anything for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 30June 1, 2020 6:15 PM

R29 the flood lights were turned off because otherwise it makes it more difficult for Secret Service on the White House roof and grounds to use night vision goggles.

by Anonymousreply 31June 1, 2020 6:16 PM

There is no strategy. There is no plan. Things happen and Trump reacts, almost always making things worse.

If he keeps fanning the flames at a certain point these protestors in Washington are going to breach the White House and then all shit is going to break lose countrywide. There have been "tough" leaders all over the world since the beginning of time who couldn't survive an angry mob. Trump is no different. For Americans to assume that an angry mob couldn't drag Trump out of the White House would be naive.

by Anonymousreply 32June 1, 2020 6:29 PM

"He has no schemes anymore. He’s just staring into space."

Don't be a fool. He's scheming 24/7. He gets up in the middle of the night and schemes.

You're underestimating him. Again.

by Anonymousreply 33June 1, 2020 6:30 PM

R31. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 34June 1, 2020 6:35 PM

R33. You’re absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 35June 1, 2020 6:35 PM

If the law enforcement can't keep shit under control right now how exactly would national martial law be accomplished and attained?

by Anonymousreply 36June 1, 2020 6:37 PM

PoisonedDragon should change his username to StupidConcernedCunt.

by Anonymousreply 37June 1, 2020 6:37 PM

[quote] If the law enforcement can't keep shit under control right now how exactly would national martial law be accomplished and attained?

It can’t be. The social order exists because the consent of the governed keeps it in place. The overwhelming majority of us allow the system to continue because it suits our purposes. When that is no longer the case, then order breaks down. For example, the rioters and looters have determined that is the path they want to take. The rest of us haven’t. But the notion that state and federal law enforcement coupled with the military can keep a country of 350,000,000 people locked down is not realistic. Hell, we couldn’t keep people indoors in the winter when their lives may have depended on it. The government would be unable to effectively make people adhere to martial law. Unless tRump wants to start bombing his own citizens, any attempt at martial law would be an abject failure. And, if he did start bombing us, then he’d be lucky to escape Mussolini’s fate.

by Anonymousreply 38June 1, 2020 7:40 PM

White House on Trump's handling of protests: "This President has been leading"

From CNN's Nikki Carvajal

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany defended Trump’s handling of widespread unrest across the country during a Monday press briefing.

Asked if the President was “hiding out” on the issue of the protests, she responded:

“I was on the phone with the President at least half a dozen times yesterday and every time I talk to him, he was telling me about a different action he has taken whether it was talking to a governor about this or a foreign leader about ventilators. This President has been leading."

“He met with generals yesterday, each and every moment taking another action to try to solve and resolve what we have seen in the streets where the governors have failed, he has stepped in,” McEnany continued, taking a shot at the response to protests by state leaders.

“He is asking. He is hard at work. You heard from him on this issue any number of times, and he is working because that is the job the President to keep this country safe," she added.

President Trump has made limited on-camera comments about the protests in recent days. On Friday, the New York Times first reported that the President was taken to a secure underground bunker beneath the White House as protests raged in Lafayette Park.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 1, 2020 8:12 PM

President Fuck Up

by Anonymousreply 40June 1, 2020 8:32 PM

[quote] "This President has been leading"

😂😂😂😂 When you have to make a statement defending your “actions” as president, you’re not doing anything except covering your rather ample posterior.

by Anonymousreply 41June 1, 2020 8:39 PM

R33, Putin plans. Mitch McConnell plans. William Barr plans. Trump? Not so much. I do not underestimate Trump's voters, but he himself is not a thinking person. He acts purely on instinct, something he has said time and time again. He constantly frustrates and contradicts his advisors not because he's brilliant but because he has no impulse control. There's no plan with him, only rage.

by Anonymousreply 42June 1, 2020 8:47 PM

I wonder when the U.S. Army, Air Force and Marines hell even the Navy will move to remove him from office. Because he's unfit to be commander in chief.

by Anonymousreply 43June 1, 2020 9:12 PM

Trump is hiding in the bunker because he is legit scared of getting his ass Gaddafi-ed.

by Anonymousreply 44June 1, 2020 9:15 PM

Look, all the Democrats need is an exciting and articulate candidate who understands the problems of today and who can really craft a message that brings people together.

What?

Oh.

by Anonymousreply 45June 1, 2020 9:19 PM

Another great article by Robert Reich.

I like this line: "His advisers aren’t truth-tellers. They’re toadies, lackeys, sycophants and relatives." Absolutely correct.

by Anonymousreply 46June 1, 2020 9:32 PM

[quote] Look, all the Democrats need is an exciting and articulate candidate w

An eggplant is more exciting and articulate than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 47June 1, 2020 9:51 PM

[quote] Look, all the Democrats need is an exciting and articulate candidate who understands the problems of today and who can really craft a message that brings people together. What? Oh.

Your concern is duly noted. Biden is still going to win.

by Anonymousreply 48June 1, 2020 10:06 PM

I suspect he will too actually, R48. Trump looked down and out from a combination of the mishandling of the pandemic and the unemployment figures BUT the riots have given him the kind of opening he is incredibly good at exploiting, so it's definitely less sure than it was two weeks ago.

This is not to blame the rioters because frankly in their shoes I'd be rioting too. But Biden needs to get out in front of this and show leadership.

by Anonymousreply 49June 1, 2020 10:41 PM

Biden has already visited a riot scene and talked to rioters, R49. Something Trump has not had the balls to attempt.

by Anonymousreply 50June 1, 2020 11:18 PM

[quote]And he lies incessantly.

Now wouldn't it be great if the Democrats could say, we have a candidate who is known to be honest and never lies. Unfortunately Biden is not that candidate. Making it much harder to beat Trump than if someone honest had been nominated. Rather than someone who also lies incessantly, and who had to drop out of a previous primary for lying.

by Anonymousreply 51June 1, 2020 11:26 PM

Now wouldn't it be great if the Republicans could say, we have a candidate who's not an incessant liar, fascist, and Putin's bitch, with dictator dreams.

by Anonymousreply 52June 1, 2020 11:29 PM

Trump doesn’t have a single redeeming quality. He is so egregiously stupid, paranoid, delusional, and lacking in empathy and normal human emotion, that I think many people can’t conceive of just how fucked-up he is. He’s certainly the sickest person I’m aware of, aside from historical figures like Hitler, Nero, or Caligula. Remember how smug he was, lecturing the experts about injecting sunlight into the body, or disinfectant? He was so proud of himself. He literally is too stupid to know how stupid he is. Contrast that with Biden, who has tons of positive qualities and just enough negative ones to remind me that he’s human. The choice simple.

by Anonymousreply 53June 2, 2020 12:16 AM

I hope the protesters are productive tonight and burn down the FOX building,

by Anonymousreply 54June 2, 2020 12:24 AM

[quote] This is embarrassing, mortifying and disgraceful. The rest of the world is looking at this and wondering what the hell is going on in the United States?

The legacy of his profound failure and incompetence will be historic. How to make America a banana republic.

by Anonymousreply 55June 2, 2020 12:32 AM

He would have tanks on the streets of Midtown Manhattan by morning, R54.

The question is what would the UN do? It can't function in an occupied territory, right? Would he evict them or would they demand he stand down?

by Anonymousreply 56June 2, 2020 12:38 AM

Kaitlan Collins@kaitlancollins·1h

President Trump was angered by coverage that he was rushed to the underground bunker during protests Friday night and told aides he wanted to be seen outside the White House gates, per @Kevinliptakcnn, leading in part to his walk to St. John’s today.

by Anonymousreply 57June 2, 2020 12:46 AM

What a pathetic idiot.

#Bunkerbitch

by Anonymousreply 58June 2, 2020 1:01 AM

R16 - how can you be so sure? He IS crazy and look at his speech.

by Anonymousreply 59June 2, 2020 1:12 AM

Trumptards are losing their shit on Facebook everytime someone calls Trump the "Bunker Boy." LOL

They keep shouting "he was just following the Secret Service orders" etc....

Then someone will reply with "I thought he was a leader not a follower" and they lose it even more! HA

by Anonymousreply 60June 2, 2020 1:12 AM

#BunkerCunt.

by Anonymousreply 61June 2, 2020 1:13 AM

[quote] And I still won’t be surprised if America re-elects the orange turd. Too many stupid people in this country.

Agree, but THAT stupid? His tenure as President has been an abject failure by any measure.

by Anonymousreply 62June 2, 2020 1:16 AM

R9, R59, it is clear to me that Trump would do much of that predicted in R9, if he could. It’s just a question of whether or not he thought he could get away with it. Illegality doesn’t matter to him.

We already know that he was attempting to delegitimize the 2016 election if he lost [italic] because he told us so [/italic] at the time, he said so! He’s already preparing to interfere with the 2020 election. He’s tried to extort Ukraine into interfering with the upcoming election. He is a sociopathic, delusional megalomaniac and will do the very worst you dare imagine, provided he thinks he can get away with it. You’ve already seen it with your own eyes!

by Anonymousreply 63June 2, 2020 1:35 AM

[quote] If the law enforcement can't keep shit under control right now how exactly would national martial law be accomplished and attained?

MN Guv doesn't think so:

“I also shared with the president that a posture of a force on the ground is both unsustainable militarily, it’s also unsustainable socially because it’s the antithesis of how we live, it’s the antithesis of civilian control.”

by Anonymousreply 64June 2, 2020 1:40 AM

He's so fucking pathetic. Probably shitting his pants hourly even as he tries to look "tough".

Goddam, has there EVER been a more pathetic, ignoble, sad excuse of a man?

Not even Dumbya was as fucking retarded. And that's a low bar.

by Anonymousreply 65June 2, 2020 2:15 AM

EXACTLY r51. Anyone who thinks this democrat disaster going on won't propel Trump to victory is incredibly naive.

by Anonymousreply 66June 2, 2020 2:18 AM

R66, this disaster is making Trump look the worst! Hiding in the bunker like a little pussy coward instead of being an actual leader unifying the country.

Oh, and he has the pesky little six-digit coronavirus death hanging around his neck like an anvil. This is the perfect storm for him to go down. That's if he doesn't stroke out first.

by Anonymousreply 67June 2, 2020 2:21 AM

Nobody but liberals blame coronavirus on Trump. Any President would be advised to seek safety. Most people don't condone violent behavior and looting. Why do democrats?

by Anonymousreply 68June 2, 2020 2:26 AM

Can you imagine the shit that Joe Biden will have to put up with if he wins this election? And the Repubs will fight him all the way, with Trump furiously tweeting 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 69June 2, 2020 2:27 AM

He would be immediately impeached for his Ukraine corruption. No worries Joe. You're not going to win.

by Anonymousreply 70June 2, 2020 2:31 AM

[quote] Nobody but liberals blame coronavirus on Trump.

Unfortunately for you, actual facts aren't on your side. The majority of people disapprove of how Trump has been handling the pandemic. Joblessness is reaching a fever pitch, and in the wake of chaos erupting in the country, Trump has eschewed the leadership role expected of a president in favor of hiding in a bunker like a coward.

A million Slavic trolls arguing in poor English won't change these facts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 2, 2020 2:33 AM

While Trump was cowering in fear and shitting his Depends in a bunker, Biden actually addressed protesters and visited protest sites -- the way a real leader should.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 2, 2020 2:39 AM

This country under Trump has turned peaceful assembly into a farce. At this point what can people do except be violent? You think if the abolitionists had peaceful protests in southern cities that would have avoided the Civil War?

Think about all the terrible violence and death and misery this country went through to end slavery. What the violent and destructive protesters are doing now isn't anything compared to what this country has been through.

by Anonymousreply 73June 2, 2020 2:59 AM

[quote] Trump looked down and out from a combination of the mishandling of the pandemic and the unemployment figures BUT the riots have given him the kind of opening he is incredibly good at exploiting, so it's definitely less sure than it was two weeks ago.

Sorry, but I do not agree. Sustained social unrest is seen as a negative mark against a sitting president. Granted we don’t know how long this will go on or whether it will be considered sustained. But, it is not good for him. The number of people who are going to be favorably disposed toward him as a result of his mishandling of this is extremely small. This is not a positive development for Cheatolini. Another failure in leadership.

by Anonymousreply 74June 2, 2020 3:57 AM

[quote] Nobody but liberals blame coronavirus on Trump. Any President would be advised to seek safety. Most people don't condone violent behavior and looting. Why do democrats?

You’re not even trying to hide your rubber-stamped talking points, are you?

by Anonymousreply 75June 2, 2020 5:20 AM

The trolls always think everything is going to get dump re-elected

by Anonymousreply 76June 2, 2020 5:21 AM

We should give them a break. They copy-and-paste pre-chosen talking points from templates and can't go too far off from script, not unlike the telemarketers of yesteryear.

by Anonymousreply 77June 2, 2020 5:24 AM

If Trump doesn’t want the riots, then why are his people starting them?

by Anonymousreply 78June 2, 2020 5:27 AM

R69, that has been one of my biggest worries. Even if trump is out of the White House, he will not disappear. He will be just as evil on his twitter feed.

by Anonymousreply 79June 2, 2020 4:08 PM

There is a big difference, R79, between having all the power of the presidency behind you and being an aging ex-president whose only recourse will be tweeting.

by Anonymousreply 80June 2, 2020 4:12 PM

Surely whatever justification there is for letting him tweet as a President disappears after the election. He should then be subject to the normal rules.

by Anonymousreply 81June 2, 2020 4:17 PM

Much of his privilege will go away, including his unregulated tweeting, once he's gone. Voting is all there is.

by Anonymousreply 82June 2, 2020 4:23 PM

Let him be Rush Limbaugh (he's dying anyway).... that was Trump's original intent in running for President, he didn't actually want to be president. That's his praising of the crackpot OAN now.... he'll want to run a whole media empire, his own Fox...

There will be no satisfying comeuppance with this monster. But there's a much more serious question... he needs to lose, he needs to stop making decisions with the authority of our government, he needs to go away... just go away. He'll rant and stamp and whine and posture and pout... but he needs to turn over the keys on Jan 21. We all need to unify to make this happen. Make.....him.... go..... away....

by Anonymousreply 83June 2, 2020 4:26 PM

Voting is his he goes away. And he's going to do everything he can to keep as many people as he can from voting.

by Anonymousreply 84June 2, 2020 4:30 PM

*Voting is how he goes away.

by Anonymousreply 85June 2, 2020 4:30 PM

I'm still holding onto hope that he will be prosecuted for any of his myriad crimes and schemes once he's out of office.

He needs to die in prison.

by Anonymousreply 86June 2, 2020 5:04 PM

That last--that he will die in prison--is maybe the most persistent and improbable of any magical thinking about Dump's demise.

by Anonymousreply 87June 2, 2020 5:43 PM

R85 - I have little faith that the same people who post #blackoutTuesday and are protesting will vote. I recall working out at Equinox and the trainers were all Millenials earning 10 bucks an hour...all complaining and they would come and go from that unstable job. While we older and more affluent people were watching the debates and, because I was in Liberal LA, I was against Trump, they would declare proudly that they weren't voting.

by Anonymousreply 88June 2, 2020 5:49 PM

Sadly, when repukes are in office they make things worse. Needless wars, economic fails, tax cuts for the rich, tax cuts for needed public programs, disrespect for civil human rights. When they're out of office they're on the sidelines or in congress criticizing, obstructing, lying, and trying to bring everyone down. What the fuck is that matter with those screwed up losers?

by Anonymousreply 89June 2, 2020 5:53 PM

[quote]What the fuck is that matter with those screwed up losers?

$$$

by Anonymousreply 90June 2, 2020 8:17 PM

Trump's bold display of weakness, ineptitude and cowardice will only embolden our enemies. The U.S. has seized on protest against governments and agents of government to launch aggression in other nations. I am afraid that terrorists -- foreign and domestic -- will seize on this moment of chaos and the void of leadership to attack the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 91June 2, 2020 11:18 PM

People have to always be on their guard no matter who's in office. Democrats have also got us mired in catastrophic wars. Honestly Trump needs to be gone immediately. Think of all the damage he does everyday now. Then think of all the damage he can do until Jan 21st.

by Anonymousreply 92June 3, 2020 1:34 AM

January 20, 2021 at 12:00 noon. Not January 21.

by Anonymousreply 93June 3, 2020 2:23 AM

Perfect description. I call the US dystopian nation. Vote all of you. Your lives literally depend on it. Deadly serious. Pandemic, racism, climate change, infrastructure, healthcare, public education, trade, immigration, foreign policy- you name it. There is no policy direction or action to address anyone of these issues in any fashion.

by Anonymousreply 94June 3, 2020 2:31 AM

Our country has been under attack ever since the GOP successfully staged a coup with 2016 Presidential election to install a dummy President (this is treason). Then, the GOP proceeded to subjugate law and order by dismantling our judicial system. They accomplished this by stacking the Supreme Court with conservative judges who were strongly anti-abortion. This installation was accomplished via illegal means and backroom deals. The second strike against our system of law and order was the installation of William Barr as US Attorney General. He was placed there to derail the Meuller investigations (and to oversee the murder of Jeffrey Epstein to which he has a personal attachment to). The two combined brought forth an era of facism that culminated with the murder of George Floyd on May 25, 2020.

What is described above is how history books will be written.

You see, it was through careful planning that we are in this predicament and it follows an orchestrated sequence of events. Given the larger picture, this riot and destruction is all but a natural outgrowth of it. All of this has dragged our country down to what we are witnessing now. It's not just one person or event.

Hopefully, the next Administration can undo much of the damage by nullifying the 2016 coup de gras. Remember, it's only 5 more months that we have to limp through to get this Fatass out. I can't even wait.

by Anonymousreply 95June 3, 2020 4:15 AM

R95 except those 197 Federal judges are lifetime appointment; can't "nullify" those. Those judges are perhaps the most concerning of all.

by Anonymousreply 96June 3, 2020 11:42 AM

There’s a way to deal with federal judges. First, the US District Court — the federal trial-level courts — are where the bulk of his appointments have been. They do have an incredible amount of power, BUT they are rarely the final word on issues of major importance. They principally handle federal criminal trials and civil cases. Let me assure you, it is a LOT of work, and some of it can be tedious, especially the complex civil matters. Yeah, you have several law clerks, but the judge is the one in the courtroom and the one who has to make the decisions.

Second, and far more concerning is his appointment of judges to the federal courts of appeal. Those judges do have an enormous amount of power over issues that are fought in the culture wars. The solution there is to add more appellate judges and dilute the effect of his appointments. (There is ample precedent for increasing the number of judges.) They sit in panels of three. The greater the number of liberal/progressive judges we appoint, then the fewer panels will have a majority of tRump judges. And don’t forget that there will be some natural attrition, so that GW Bu$h-appointed judges, for example, will be retiring.

Finally, a lot of unqualified or barely qualified judges, appointed in great haste with little regard for a thorough investigation, will often produce a greater number of judges who are subject to discipline, resignation, and impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 97June 3, 2020 4:31 PM

Another nail (granted... no one really uses Snap anymore, but...)

Snapchat will no longer promote content from Trump's account

The company said it won't "amplify voices who incite racial violence and injustice."

Snap said Wednesday that it will no longer promote President Donald Trump's Snapchat account in a page of curated content called Discover because it doesn't want to "amplify voices who incite racial violence and injustice."

"We are not currently promoting the President's content on Snapchat's Discover platform. We will not amplify voices who incite racial violence and injustice by giving them free promotion on Discover. Racial violence and injustice have no place in our society and we stand together with all who seek peace, love, equality, and justice in America," a spokesman for Snap said in a statement.

The rare move from the ephemeral messaging app shows that social media companies are being more wary about the type of political content they promote on their platforms ahead of the US presidential election. Conservatives have accused social media platforms of suppressing their speech, but the company's have denied doing so.

Snap, the parent company of Snapchat, took action after Twitter placed a "public interest" notice over Trump's tweet for glorifying violence. Twitter users could still view the tweet after they clicked on the notice. In the tweet posted on Friday, Trump stated "When the looting starts, the shooting starts." He made the remarks in response to news about protests that have erupted following the death of George Floyd, a black man in Minnesota who died after a white police officer pinned his neck down with his knee. The incident was recorded on video and Floyd says in the footage that he couldn't breathe.

Trump also made the same remarks in a post on Facebook, but the social network determined that it didn't violate its rules against inciting violence. Trump references the National Guard in his social media posts so Facebook viewed his remarks as a warning about state action, which is allowed on the platform. Facebook employees have protested that decision and staged a virtual walkout this week.

Trump has denied trying to incite racial violence. The White House didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Snap said that Trump's Snapchat account will still be public but that no account has the right to be promoted on Discover. The decision was made over the weekend. On Monday, Snap published a memo Snap CEO Evan Spiegel sent to his employees in which he denounces racism.

"We simply cannot promote accounts in America that are linked to people who incite racial violence, whether they do so on or off our platform. Our Discover content platform is a curated platform, where we decide what we promote. We have spoken time and again about working hard to make a positive impact, and we will walk the talk with the content we promote on Snapchat," he said in the memo.

That doesn't mean that Snap will remove accounts that it disagrees with or are "insensitive to some people," he said.

Last week, Trump signed an executive order that aims to limit the legal protections that social media companies get for content posted by its users. The executive order faced its first legal challenge yesterday when the Center for Democracy & Technology filed a lawsuit alleging it violated the First Amendment and was retaliatory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 3, 2020 6:08 PM

Not quite r78

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 4, 2020 6:12 AM

The MAGA trash don’t care if he’s a hands-on president or a figurehead.

All they need him to be is their “insulter-in-chief”.

As long as he insults liberals the nation can go to hell.

by Anonymousreply 100June 4, 2020 6:22 AM

r99 bitch, you're quoting the fucking ny post? a murdoch tabloid? get the fuck out of here.

by Anonymousreply 101June 4, 2020 6:24 AM

He'll hold on to another term as president. All factors are still in place which enabled him to win the last time.

by Anonymousreply 102June 4, 2020 8:28 AM

Why all this "Catholic" stuff? Aren't they as much the anti-Christ as Trump? Fuck the Catholic church and the whores that abide by their teachings!

by Anonymousreply 103June 4, 2020 12:30 PM

^Father of lies.

by Anonymousreply 104June 4, 2020 1:31 PM

R102, I suggest you read the Times article today that says Dump's campaign is seeing how dire things are for him, and that he's actually now reduced to pouring money into states that he held comfortably before. So all factors are NOT in place for him. I also suggest you do a little reading of real news before posting.

by Anonymousreply 105June 4, 2020 1:33 PM

The “Everything’s the same as 2016” is one of the stupider bits of trolling we see on this site.

by Anonymousreply 106June 4, 2020 1:44 PM

Yikes!

Ex-Defense Secretary James Mattis, a warrior revered by his troops, told Americans they must come together without the President

Demand for change grows as military leaders condemn Trump

by Anonymousreply 107June 4, 2020 1:50 PM

[quote]In reality, Donald Trump doesn’t run the government of the United States. He doesn’t manage anything. He doesn’t organize anyone.

IN REALITY HE WAS JUST A WASH UP REALITY TV HOST

by Anonymousreply 108June 4, 2020 1:51 PM

For R102, so maybe in future she'll strive to be more informed before spouting off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 4, 2020 2:23 PM

I don't think anyone would watch a reality TV show about washing up, R108.

by Anonymousreply 110June 4, 2020 2:42 PM

Update — I’d be incredibly pleased to see that my prediction, that Trump will be helped in the white suburbs by the unrest, is wrong. And fingers crossed that might be true because his approval rating is down two points in recent polling, and that was before the epic clusterfuck at the church.

Despite the realist in me, I’m still depressed that he still has above 40% approval. It’s just mindboggling. HOW?

by Anonymousreply 111June 4, 2020 4:26 PM

FEAR

by Anonymousreply 112June 4, 2020 4:32 PM

[quote] He'll hold on to another term as president. All factors are still in place [sic which] that enabled him to win the last time.

Stunningly misinformed (as well as being grammatically incorrect.) The factors and dynamics are quite different. He BARELY squeaked by in three critical states. He’s currently not leading in any of those while he is just holding on in some usually reliable Rethug states. At least 60 percent of the population sees this fraud for precisely what he is. Those who wavered last time and figured, “what the hell, give him a shot,” are now repulsed by this vile monster who belongs nowhere near the White House.

by Anonymousreply 113June 4, 2020 5:01 PM

Agreed that "2020 is just like 2016" is about the most ignorant thing to comment. Trump may well, for many reasons, win a second term (suppressing voter turnout, Biden self-destructing, foreign interference, corrupt results) - but not only has the American public seen years of Trump's insanity, we've had an international pandemic and complete economic collapse... and widespread civil rebellion in the streets whose only response Trump has been able to come up with is to look like Mussolini.

in 2016 the Obama economy was moving forward, slow but steady improvement. Unemployment now is over 20%. Historic levels. No, 2016 is nothing like 2020.

by Anonymousreply 114June 4, 2020 5:21 PM

Candace Owens is trending again.

Either she said something so completely bat-shit crazy again coded or her sex tape just dropped.

Please, dear lord I hope she said something bat-shit crazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 4, 2020 6:05 PM

sorry ^^^ wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 116June 4, 2020 6:07 PM

I will believe Trump is over when Trump is dead.

Not before.

He is thoroughly and utterly evil. Creatures like that live a long time and they do damage as long as they draw breath.

by Anonymousreply 117June 4, 2020 7:17 PM

“When you can’t tell who people are, then there is no accountability at all,” Beyer said. “You can go out and bust any heads you want to because who is going to hold you accountable if you are anonymous — especially with the big face masks.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118June 4, 2020 7:31 PM

[quote] He BARELY squeaked by in three critical states

And let’s not forget for one second why that was.

Because social media socialists decided to vote for Stein so they could brag about it on Instagram.

Because Bernie bots voted for trump (!!!) just to spite the actually qualified woman who DARED to defeat their messiah.

Who is the biggest enemy of the Left? Go look in a mirror.

by Anonymousreply 119June 5, 2020 3:03 AM

The Deplorables NEED him. To pack the courts with conservative judges and make their dreams come true.

by Anonymousreply 120June 5, 2020 3:43 AM

Is there any way to fix that federal judge problem if the Democrats retake presidency and congress? Can they strip lifetime tenure?

by Anonymousreply 121June 5, 2020 4:02 AM

[quote] Is there any way to fix that federal judge problem if the Democrats retake presidency and congress? Can they strip lifetime tenure?

Impeachment is the only means available to strip them of lifetime tenure.

In some other thread I suggested that the best solution is for the Dems to add more seats to the Courts of Appeals.

by Anonymousreply 122June 5, 2020 4:08 AM

He's going to reelected. As a gay said to me tonight, as I tried to explain to him the dangerous constitutional territory we are in as of the last week, with cops beating old men on the courthouse steps and Barr tear gassing protestors so Trump can take a picture, and his only response was:

"Well they need a better candidate then. I will support whoever is against open borders."

Game over.

by Anonymousreply 123June 5, 2020 4:10 AM

[quote]Impeachment is the only means available to strip them of lifetime tenure.

Those untimely accidents can be so awf...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 5, 2020 4:14 AM

r123 go fuck yourself

by Anonymousreply 125June 5, 2020 4:43 AM

A LOT of people think like r123s friend. Democrats need to pivot away from that if they want to win.

by Anonymousreply 126June 5, 2020 5:22 AM

R125 I'd vote for a pile of dog shit over Trump. But my parents and their friends will not....

by Anonymousreply 127June 5, 2020 5:26 AM

Cut all ties and hope they all get corona, r127.

They sound too stupid to live anyway.

by Anonymousreply 128June 5, 2020 5:30 AM

"He's going to reelected. As a gay said to me tonight..."

And that's why Dump will be reelected, R123? Because some gay said something to you? You do realize that it's a big country that doesn't hinge on any one gay SJW?

by Anonymousreply 129June 5, 2020 6:18 AM

FIGHT!

Twitter Pulls Down Trump Campaign Video About George Floyd’s Death Over Copyright-Infringement Claim

A video posted by Donald Trump’s 2020 election campaign — decrying civil unrest in the wake of the killing of George Floyd — was removed Thursday by Twitter, citing a copyright-infringement claim.

A June 3 tweet by the @TeamTrump account with the video now displays the message: “This media has been disabled in response to a report by the copyright owner.” Twitter confirmed it received a DMCA takedown request from the owner of one of the images included in the video but the company did not specify who that was.

The video, titled “Healing, Not Hatred,” remains available on YouTube.

The 3:45-minute video comprises a clip of a Trump speech in which he says Floyd’s death was a “grave tragedy” that “should never have happened.” The campaign video includes numerous images and video clips, showing memorials to Floyd and crowds of protesters, as well as rioters committing acts of vandalism. “The memory of George Floyd is being dishonored by rioters, looters and anarchists,” Trump says.

It’s not the first time Twitter has removed Trump videos over copyright complaints: The social network took down the president’s video that sampled Nickelback’s 2005 “Photograph” in October 2019 pursuant to a takedown request by Warner Music Group. And earlier last year, Twitter pulled down a Trump 2020 campaign video that used parts of the score for the Batman movie “The Dark Knight Rises.”

“This incident is yet another reminder that Twitter is making up the rules as they go along,” a Trump campaign spokesman told The Hill. Twitter “has repeatedly failed to explain why their rules seem to only apply to the Trump campaign but not to others. Censoring out the president’s important message of unity around the George Floyd protests is an unfortunate escalation of this double standard.”

Twitter increasingly has been in Trump’s crosshairs after the social network last week applied fact-check labels to his inaccurate tweets about mail-in voting — and then hid another Trump tweet suggesting Minneapolis protesters would be shot. Trump, upset over Twitter’s fact-checking action, issued an executive order aiming to remove Twitter’s legal protections for speech on its platform. That that prompted a lawsuit from a tech policy organization charging that Trump’s order violates the First Amendment.

Meanwhile, Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg faces a backlash from employees for deciding to take no action on the same Trump posts. This week, Snap said it would no longer promote Trump’s Snapchat posts, with the company citing his rhetoric “incit[ing] racial violence and injustice.”

Twitter’s current policies carve out an exemption for political figures like Trump, under which tweets that would be violations for regular users may be left up if the company considers them to be in the “public interest.” Twitter amended that a year ago, saying that tweets by political figures that violate its regular policies would be displayed with a warning notice in front of tweets.

The first time Twitter applied that to one of Trump’s tweets was on the May 29 post in which the president said about protests in Minneapolis, “Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130June 5, 2020 6:41 AM

I don't think Trump was ever elected except by members of the electoral college. I do believe the majority of US adult citizens are some combination of ill-informed, gullible and desperate though. I gave them the benefit of the doubt until November 2016, and 3.5 years later I'm still seeing Americans (not Russian disinfo troops) ditto crap, and remain polarized, their brains shielded against bullets of reality and truth. That even above a third of US adults polled support this man tells me there are scores of millions of people undiagnosed with dementia and mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 131June 5, 2020 7:04 AM

How quickly we forget didn't GWB call the constitution a god damned piece of paper? Yeah.

by Anonymousreply 132June 5, 2020 2:26 PM

[quote] He's going to [be] reelected.

🙄 No, he’s not — no matter how many little anecdotes you can dig up about random tRumper MAGAts pledging to vote for the Orange Buffoon.

If he was heading toward a re-election, he wouldn’t be treading water in polls from places like Utah, Texas, and Georgia. He’s done a dreadful job of handling the pandemic, the resulting economic crisis, and civil unrest. He’s never enjoyed the support of a majority of the country. Plus he’s a stupid, dreadful human being. Taken together, not a recipe for electoral success.

by Anonymousreply 133June 5, 2020 2:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!