Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“In the Vast of the Night” on Amazon Prime

Premieres tomorrow on Amazon Prime - 93% RT score

It’s being called an instant sci-fi classic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2020 7:08 AM

Ughh sorry it’s just “The Vast of the Night”

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2020 12:18 AM

Jake Horowitz Everett is really fucking annoying for some reason. I'm 10 minutes in and might stop watching it because he's unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2020 11:15 PM

Yeah I wasn’t too enamored with this as the critics. There’s a great atmosphere of Lynchian small town horror, and some really great monologue performances delivered by the offscreen caller and the elderly shut-in, but the talkative leads with their Sorkian dialogue are too trying on one’s patience. The second coming of Spielberg this ain’t; Spielberg knew how to make accessible, sympathetic protagonists.

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2020 1:35 AM

Thank you OP for sharing. This is a great, creepy little movie.

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2020 4:26 AM

I completely agree with r3. I love Sci fi and I love horror and shit was I ever ready to LOVE this. But I didn’t.

I mean, I didn’t hate it. But it felt more like a radio play than a movie. Intense amounts of blabbing, and the non-stop dialogue feels written rather than spoken/natural. I hate this — it’s what makes me loathe Kevin Smith movies, in which characters feel like they’re giving speeches instead of talking.

I also really didn’t like how thick they poured on the Southwest quirk in the characters.

And the testimonies given by the two people they interviewed felt ENDLESS.

I didn’t hate it, but it’s really being hyped as something it’s not.

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2020 4:49 AM

Extraordinary film. Just watched it tonight. It's not like Spielberg at all--it's more akin to something like "The Blair Witch Project," but much, much more intelligent. Maybe on a par with something like "The Witch." The two monologues by the offscreen caller and the elderly woman, as r3 said, are magnificent--some of the best acting I've seen in a small film in quite a while.

There's a long traveling shot midway through the film that is unlike anything I've ever seen in any film before I have no idea how they did, and on such a small budget too. it's made all the more remarkable by the fact that so much of the film is just arrested shots of people talking, or even shots of complete darkness. But it doesn't come across as arty or forced--just very imaginative.

The lead two characters are very strange--they've basically been taken out of realist drama, but then something really remarkable happens to them by the film's conclusion.

There are a lot of holes in the screenplay that will bother the shit out of the some of the people here, though.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2020 6:34 AM

Thanks OP! Will download now and watch.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2020 6:51 AM

It's just terrible, like a student film extended for length.. Long draggy sections of badly recorded talking. Characters without motivation. The story doesn't resolve anything. Pfft.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2020 6:54 AM

[quote] The story doesn't resolve anything.

Yes, that's what happens to stories once you move to actual chapter books.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2020 7:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!