Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Protester Quandary

Why don’t they burn down wealthy neighborhoods? Why do they burn down their own neighborhoods? You’d think people would start paying more attention if they burned down a Sur La Table and a Ralph Lauren store in an affluent area, rather than an AutoZone in the ‘Hood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2020 11:28 PM

I never understood either.

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2020 2:58 PM

Because they’d be shot.

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2020 3:20 PM

People riot where they are. It’s not like these things are planned in advance so you can have buses and car pools standing by to take them to the rich part of town.

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2020 3:23 PM

I’d burn down a Trump property if I was going to burn down anything.

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2020 3:23 PM

The thing is the "people" don't own the stores in their OWN neighborhoods. The koreans, chinese, ethiopians, or arabs own the shit in black neighborhoods. I always says poor or even urban black neighborhoods are the only neighborhoods in which the people who own the shops and stores DON'T look like the people who live in the neighborhood. These poor ass people don't have access to just go to rich parts of town and start looting so they do it close to home because they don't have an affinity for the establishments to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2020 3:28 PM

Which I won’t because I’m not an asshole looking to get knifed by a fat lady on a mobility scooter!

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2020 3:32 PM

It is young people who react in the moment. You need a mass of people for it to work. You can't set up a protest and say - hey, at 7pm tomorrow night we're going to loot X area.

The police and security presence would be overwhelming.

However, I would find it really satisfying to watch a LuluLemon and a Bass Pro Shop get fucked up. And a clubhouse and greens at a country club. And a Range Rover dealership.

Rich white people tears are so rare - you just don't see enough of them.

by Anonymousreply 7May 28, 2020 3:46 PM

Why’d you put an apostrophe before hood.....

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2020 3:48 PM

R8 another old schizophrenic Datalounger who sees Deplorables and Russians EVERYWHERE!!!

by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2020 4:14 PM

[quote]Why don’t they burn down wealthy neighborhoods?

My, aren't you just full of helpful suggestions. Dumbass troll.

by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2020 5:50 PM

Didn't someone suggest that on TV during the L.A. riots and took some heat for it?

by Anonymousreply 11May 28, 2020 5:55 PM

Rioting and attacking businesses in your own neighborhood makes that neighborhood infinitely worse - fewer jobs, fewer services, and even worse treatment from the businesses that stay open. More people in jail, worse crime, more to be angry and hopeless about.

So while I sure as hell understand why the black people of Minneapolis are mad as hell, the fact is that by rioting and looting they're hurting themselves more than the police, the government, the 1% or The Man.

by Anonymousreply 12May 28, 2020 9:55 PM

I live in DTLA and I'll bet 80% of the protesters yesterday don't live down here. I'm all for the protesting but when they destroyed the cop car all it did was make them look bad. Not fair for all the other protesters but it's what the media will play over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 13May 28, 2020 10:08 PM

When rednecks are doing “mock lynchings” in Kentucky, I don’t really give a shit about a cop car in LA.

by Anonymousreply 14May 28, 2020 10:33 PM

R14 Then you're part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2020 11:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!