Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do actors love to play practical jokes?

There's a profile in the NYTimes tonight of Matthew Rhys, who is supposedly one of the nicest actors around--but it says he loves playing practical jokes on the set.

I can understand someone who is deeply angry like Mel Gibson loving to play practical jokes on his co-workers (and he does--he was supposed to be a bit of a terror in that regard, back when he used to get work), or Ellen Degeneres (who is a deeply angry person), but I don't understand nice guys like Rhys and George Clooney loving to do it. It is deeply hostile behavior--you humiliate people in front of others, and then if they don't laugh at themselves after the prank, they look even worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2020 1:06 PM

I had a classmate pull a chair away when I sat down and when I fell on the floor it really hurt my tailbone but I brushed it off and laughed and acted like it didn't bother me, but it did. I think it's stupid to make people dislike you by doing something like that when you have to work together.

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2020 6:53 AM

It’s juvenile and sometimes cruel exercise of power. Although Matthew Rhys seems otherwise lovely.

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2020 11:51 AM

It depends on the prank.

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2020 12:02 PM

Practical jokes aren't always synonymous with anger. "It is deeply hostile behavior" - not necessarily. Cruel ones, yes. There are lighthearted funny ones that my neighbor does to me and, when I think about it, I might do one to him. They've never been the least bit cruel - juvenile/silly, yes - but cruel, no.

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2020 12:04 PM

I have never been able to STAND practical jokes--even reading about them. They are so crude.

Call me a Southern Lady if you will.....because I am one.

by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2020 1:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!