Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: I've found my new home

Sadly, I can't afford it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 28, 2020 7:30 PM

I love the 3 floors. You could have three different design schemes. But cooking in that hot, shadeless house for 9 mos. a year, your A/C would never turn off.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2020 11:21 PM

I like the arches.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2020 11:24 PM

I like blue.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 11:26 PM

I went to Charleston once. Beautiful place, but all those lovely old buildings had been made by slave labor and it started to give me the creeps after a while.

I wouldn't live in an old house there for anything.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 11:28 PM

The walls are thick. Perhaps it's cool. This can be my office and art studio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2020 11:28 PM

The garden is so narrow. Otherwise lovely place

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2020 11:29 PM

Start your go fund me, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2020 11:31 PM

Too antique-looking for me. I’m more of a modern taste.

And a galley kitchen in a house of that size?!

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2020 11:33 PM

$3.65 million and you have to park the carriages on what appears to be a fairly busy street?

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2020 11:38 PM

R4, I'm reading a mystery set there and got intrigued by the description of a house and googled for fun. I've visited Charleston, too. It is very beautiful, and also as noted, very arm and humid.The brutal history of the place is all too present. Perhaps you are right, the house wasn built by slaves, they did help build much of the city, and according to the attached article, much of Colonial America. If I were wealthy enough to live in such a home possibly built by slaves I'd have to do something to honor the builders. Perhaps put up a plaque and donating to local black colleges. If I'm going to dream, I might as well be generous with my imaginary riches.

R7, good idea, not sure anyone would donate though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2020 11:38 PM

I believe that if you want something badly enough, the whole world conspires with you to achieve it.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 11:40 PM

No parking? No pool? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2020 11:42 PM

R9, it's on the bay, separated by a park. There will be traffic. Have you been to Marina Blvd in San Francisco? Similar set up. Multi-million dollar homes on a very busy street edging the bay. I'd still live there if I could. But I'd have to have a cabin in the woods near a river, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 11:45 PM

It's magnificent in many ways. Stunning. The proportions are fantastic. The interior details are in perfect condition. If I had enough dough, I could see myself buying a place like this to enjoy perhaps one quarter of the year.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2020 11:48 PM

OK, I'm convinced. I need a place with a pool.. This one fits my budget. Not built by slaves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2020 11:55 PM

Loverly

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 11:57 PM

No thanks. Cramped rooms, no proper dining room, some fine features but all you'd do is sweat and sit trapped between the two buildings on either side with the noise from them.

As for R4, that's a good point, but for me it's more of a reason not to live in South Carolina altogether, rather than avoiding specific buildings.

At least not until it votes for a Democrat for president. The same with all the slave states. I'm not quite so pure, since I was born in one and live in one but do have a postbellum house from Reconstruction. However, that means it comes from a time when no African American was allowed in the neighborhood, much less used as skilled labor in construction. Should I have skipped buying it, I wonder, based on R4's scruples?

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2020 11:58 PM

Reminds me of that Irish manor house from several weeks ago - exquisite, but seems like you are more or less restricted to using highly specific and costly furniture.

by Anonymousreply 18May 28, 2020 12:04 AM

R15 It's not even June, and it's already 109 degrees there today.

And did you notice? The listing says, "Air Conditioning and hot water are provided by a central system maintained by the HOA."

Is that why the monthly HOA fee is nearly $750?

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2020 12:15 AM

I'd probably go for the one a few blocks over. The street isn't busy, and there's plenty of garage space off the alley. Plus, it has a pool, a guest house, and even an elevator for sexcapades. Yeah, it's three million more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 28, 2020 12:29 AM

R20, it's fabulous! Egad.

by Anonymousreply 21May 28, 2020 12:36 AM

I prefer Savannah.

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2020 12:39 AM

It looks like a funeral home.

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2020 12:44 AM

And coming soon the indoor swimming pool. Formerly known as the cellar.

by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2020 12:46 AM

R23 The urns on the mantle don't help.

by Anonymousreply 25May 28, 2020 12:47 AM

does it ever snow in SC? or is it tropical year round?

by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2020 12:53 AM

In Charleston an earthquake is probably more likely than snow.

by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2020 12:57 AM

" Should I have skipped buying it, I wonder, based on [R4]'s scruples? "

R4 here, and I didn't mean to state or imply that living in a house built by slaves is in any way unethical. All the slaves are dead, all the slave owners are dead, and anyone who remembers Jim Crow is old now, and the house itself didn't do anything wrong.

It's just that I had a strong emotional reaction to Old Charleston, such a strong reaction that I know I could never relax and be happy in a place with such a horrific past. Plus, the fact that the place is so formal would constantly recall the Bad Old Days to my mind, I would be miserable there. It's like murder houses - some people don't see any problem living in a place where a horrible murder happened years ago, some are repelled by the very thought.

by Anonymousreply 28May 28, 2020 1:15 AM

OP, Absolutely beautiful home and tastefully decorated.

I love Charleston. That said...two words and a conjunction...

Hurricanes and Flooding

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2020 1:23 AM

R20, beautiful house.

It's interesting the turn this thread has taken. Let's not forget we're living on lands our ancestors stole from the natives after displacing and slaughtering them. The long arc of human history is filled with atrocity. Some of us try to avoid behaving that way, others keep it going.

That said, no one should live anywhere that doesn't appeal to them for any reason. I would not like to live in a house where a murder happened.

by Anonymousreply 30May 28, 2020 1:27 AM

The fabrics and color schemes all seem to be off.

by Anonymousreply 31May 28, 2020 1:34 AM

Looks piss elegant and I hate that!

by Anonymousreply 32May 28, 2020 1:37 AM

Yes, this is beautiful, but as R9 and R12 point out, no parking at all. And no pool, I'd want that in a hot humid climate. And the area looks to be prone to flooding

I'd love this place in a different location, the interior is near perfect and its not outrageously huge either

by Anonymousreply 33May 28, 2020 6:27 PM

OP, you could name it, “Dueling Palms.”

R27 reminds me of my visit to Savanah when they had snow and thick ice. We went to some of the historic homes and took pictures of each other on their front steps. Then we got lost and drove through the ghetto at 10 pm. These poor people had no window panes, just openings in the walls of their shacks. I was driving my Dad’s Monarch, too!

by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2020 7:24 PM

Slaves built the White House and Capital. And the Republic. They had help, though.

by Anonymousreply 35May 28, 2020 7:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!