Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Attic Fan Tips/Recommendations, DLers?

We have an old attic fan that pulls out no hot air. Any recommendations from DLers?

Also, when I was a kid, our house had a louvered vent in the hallway ceiling that would open when the attic fan was on to pull hot air out of the house. I don't have that where we live now. Do I need something like that to pull out lots of hot air?

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 10:26 PM

Hot weather is horrible in the Attic. To give you an idea of the numerous complaints, I'll briefly describe these sweltering days:

Saturday: "Wonderful, what fantastic weather," we all said in the morning. "If only it weren't quite so hot," we said in the afternoon, when the windows had to be shut.

Sunday: "The heat's unbearable, the butter's melting, there's not a cool spot anywhere in the house, the bread's drying out, the milk's going sour, the windows can't be opened. We poor outcasts are suffocating while everyone else is enjoying their Pentecost."

Monday: "My feet hurt, I have nothing cool to wear, I can't do the dishes in this heat!" Grumbling from early in the morning to late at night. It was awful.

I can't stand the heat. I'm glad the wind's come up today, but that the sun's still shining.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2020 9:56 PM

We had what was called a "whole house fan". It made Midwestern nights just barely bearable. I don't know where we got ours and I've never seen one again. It sounded like an airplane propeller, so I imagine it used a lot of electricity. Which doesn't make sense because we couldn't afford AC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2020 10:11 PM

R2: that's what we had too. We would put pieces of paper on the ground and watch it suck the paper up into confetti oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 10:21 PM

I had a porch off my room so the attic fan like that pictured above gave me a full "blow job" especially right after showering. My parents finally got central air AFTER we all had left home.!

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 10:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!