Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Does NYC Attract So Many Karens?

I've lived in New York City for 25 years and was visiting the city years before that. Starting in the 1990s, the Upper West Side became entitled mother territory. This has spread into other neighborhoods now. The entitled mother has morphed into Karen, with no discrimination of married or single. There are Karens living all over the city and the city seems to cater to them now.

NYC used to be fun. It used to be cool. What happened? Can we blame Sex & The City/Friends? Was That Girl a Karen? Certainly Rhoda wasn't a Karen.

What changed? Why are there so many Karens in NYC now?

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2020 7:31 PM

Well, NYC atttacts every personality type, I’ve found.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote]Well, NYC atttacts every personality type, I’ve found.

But there seems to be an abundance of Karens more than any other type. Maybe I'm perceiving an entitlement in people which is a character trait of a Karen?

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2020 3:07 PM

Why does DL seem to attract so many Marys who are obsessed with “Karen’s”?

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 3:16 PM

Aw, honey, you need to get out more. The midwest is Karen central.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 3:18 PM

SATC and Friends are Karen classics, showing the sanitized version of NYC they expect and DEMAND.

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2020 3:19 PM

R3 White women are hanging on the cross for us all to take our frustrations out on. Hating them is our justice. This will end badly.

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2020 3:20 PM

OP has never been west of the Hudson River. 'There be dragons...'

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2020 3:20 PM

[quote]Why does DL seem to attract so many Marys who are obsessed with “Karen’s”?

With Karen's what, dear?

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2020 3:23 PM

Brooklyn Fare in the West Village is Karen Central. The Karen Klub must have a newsletter that says, "Let's all meet at Brooklyn Fare on this date and at this time."

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2020 3:32 PM

I live on the Upper West Side and I guess I'm just clueless because I haven't noticed more Karens than before.

For me, 1) getting older and 2) this whole pandemic thing has made me much more Zen about everything. With the stark reminders that life is fragile, I refuse to get worked up about little things. Some guy on another post went on and on about an altercation at Safeway (the other guy was going the wrong way down a one-way aisle) , carts were pushed, threats were exchanged, and our intrepid poster stormed over to the manager to complain. I wouldn't have let myself get worked up about it. You need to cut in front of me to get to the baking powder? Be my guest. You don't matter enough for me to waste my energy getting upset over you. You'll be forgotten in 30 seconds.

Whenever I see people arguing on the street or in a store over something minor I have noticed that there's always a handful of people eager to whip out their phones to capture the moment, so maybe there have always been Karens, only now we're just seeing more evidence of it.

Personally, I just shake my head and move on.

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2020 3:34 PM

I'm guessing it has to do with the massive amount of privilege many successful people gain here, and the worries that they might lose it or be disrespected in some other way. And perhaps just a general lack of humor, especially in public.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 3:34 PM

R10 You got a W&W from me for wisdom. People enjoy being angry too much these days.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2020 3:36 PM

R2, I suspect you’ll find them demanding managers in every US town.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 3:41 PM

[quote] [R3] White women are hanging on the cross for us all to take our frustrations out on. Hating them is our justice. This will end badly.

YES Our frustrations with Karen should not be directed directly at the object of our frustration, Karen. They should be directed at the colored help.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2020 3:41 PM

R14 You realize you just said black people deserve racism?

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2020 3:43 PM

New York doesn't attract them. It just turns Lexis into Karens, that's all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 6:25 PM

NYC is home to the NYSE and numerous bank and other financial institutions. These types of places like take-charge Karens, as it makes the EOE stats look good.

Amy Cooper seems just like the hard charging, barracuda bitch cunt these companies are looking for. That Franklin Templeton dumped her ass so quickly indicates one of two things: (A) she was too much of a barracuda even for other barracudas, or (B) she wan't putting out for the right person.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2020 6:32 PM

Probably because of idiots like you OP

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2020 7:15 PM

You’re either a troll or dumb as a rock or both. This woman is an exception- like you, I hope.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2020 7:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!