Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Why Are You Not Burying Him?’ Trump Allies Panic Over Joe Biden’s Persistent Lead

[QUOTE]Trump supporters worry the campaign lines of attack on Biden are failing to dent the Democrat. Polls show Trump trailing Biden in key swing states such as WI and PA, with Republican control of the Senate increasingly up for grabs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 30, 2020 3:09 AM

Political troll thread FF

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2020 1:43 PM

I don’t trust the polls. Hilary was supposed to win on 2016. We know how that bullshit ended.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2020 1:44 PM

Like the "panic" over Hillary's lead, OP/Boris? Agree with, R1. FF.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 1:47 PM

[QUOTE] I don’t trust the polls. Hilary was supposed to win on 2016. We know how that bullshit ended.

I don’t know what I look forward to more on November 3: Joe Biden’s victory or the end of this “But 2016” canard. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 1:54 PM

[quote]Trump supporters worry the campaign lines of attack on Biden are failing to dent the Democrat.

[bold]Because he's running against Donald Trump, [/bold] who didn't win by much and it won't take much to see him lose. I know Republicans have no human decency but have they no brains either?

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2020 1:56 PM

They have brains but they’re not allowed to say what the real problem is. Nothing can ever be Donald Trump’s fault, so they’re forced to point fingers at any and everything else except him.

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2020 2:12 PM

Trump has calloused us all. That’s the backlash & payback of Trump’s bottom-dwelling. Biden could buttfuck Jill on national TV, while wearing a Darth Vader mask and we’d be like “well at least he’s not Trump”.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2020 2:20 PM

[quote]Biden could buttfuck Jill on national TV, while wearing a Darth Vader mask and we’d be like “well at least he’s not Trump”.

Literally the stupidest thing ever typed on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2020 2:26 PM

R8 I highly doubt that.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2020 2:33 PM

What he needs is time machine. People aren't going forget his poor response to the virus and that people died or became ill needlessly.

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2020 2:37 PM

It's impossible to trust polls when the FBI interferes by falsely reopening an investigation into one of the candidates a few days before the election. Polls also don't include the effects of voter suppression, localized corruption, or voter registration rolls being hacked by a foreign entity.

In 2012 enough people came out to vote that we likely stopped the GOP from stealing the election -- remember Rove freaking out on live TV because he thought Obama was going to lose and he didn't, and also Anonymous said they stopped hacking attempts on the vote on election night. If we get out the vote this year we can still overwhelm their attempts to steal the election.

Just always ALWAYS take these articles with a grain of salt. Don't believe anything that says Trump will definitely lose, Biden will definitely win, etc.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 2:45 PM

[QUOTE] Just always ALWAYS take these articles with a grain of salt. Don't believe anything that says Trump will definitely lose, Biden will definitely win, etc.

That’s a strawman. No article I’ve ever posted implied such a thing, including this one. Only a fool would think that either candidate is guaranteed victory based on the picture six months from an election. But it feels good knowing our guy is on the right track, and I’ll never stop cheering for him.

Of course if the shoe was on the other foot and Joe Biden was the one losing now, I doubt these eeyores would be touting 2016 in support of him. They’d happily declare that Biden is finished, lament how we should’ve nominated various other candidates and tell us that Trump already won the election.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2020 2:56 PM

I didn't call you out for posting this, R12, so dial back the defensiveness.

These articles are always implying that a candidate is doing really well, not doing as well as they should, etc. which plants the idea in people's heads that a certain candidate is pretty much going to win.

Yeah, I'm glad Biden is doing well in polls, too, but the polls don't tell the whole story, and we need to get everyone out to vote in November. Everyone.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 3:04 PM

Current ~Mask Wars~ are going to cut whatever gains Biden has made in those states. People are already sick of cowering in fear at home and now that warm weather is upon us, people are going to be out and about. Whoever threatens this is going to pay the price. That's just how I see it, I'm sure many will disagree.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2020 3:05 PM

I’m sure the 100,000 dead Americans would disagree.

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2020 3:07 PM

Yeah well they don't vote so they don't count.

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 3:08 PM

R14: EVERYONE disagrees with you, because you're wrong. Now cut the crap.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2020 3:10 PM

So that’s why the dumpsters are trying to get us to go outside maskless. They are actually trying to kill people.

Repugs are the Pro-Death Party

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2020 3:10 PM

[QUOTE] Current ~Mask Wars~ are going to cut whatever gains Biden has made in those states.

Most Americans are in favor of masks. If anything Joe Biden’s righteous embrace of mask-wearing will only help him hold those gains. Masks are the way for us TO get out and comfortably live our lives, R14. Trump’s flouting of masks only solidifies his poor leadership, especially among seniors.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2020 3:12 PM

Trump could always run ads touting his list of accomplishments: 100,000 dead and counting, impeached for extorting a foreign country, no infrastructure bill (even though it was so easy I'm doing it in the second year), dismantling the Affordable Care Act, dismantling the U.S. leadership role (pulling out of the Iran deal, Kyoto accord, bowing down to Putin at Helsinki), giving a massive tax cut to the wealthiest and raising taxes on the rest of us which also added 2 trillion to the debt, 40 million unemployed Americans, stock market crashes, golfing and rallies during the start of a pandemic, and on and on and on.....

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2020 3:14 PM

He could but people will still vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2020 3:30 PM

You nervous nellies need to relax. Joe Biden is not Hillary Clinton. This is not 2016. He’s not losing Pennsylvania to Trump, and that’s precisely why I‘ve been supporting him on here for well over a year before most of the 2020 Dem candidates even announced their campaigns.

Pennsylvania is everything. And having the beloved Governor Tom Wolf behind him will be a tremendous asset.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2020 3:35 PM

R20 and for his cultists:. Never built the wall that Mexico was never going to pay for.

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2020 3:35 PM

I think President Plump has quit already. He’s given up.

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2020 3:37 PM

Trump was able to run as the outsider, not part of government who would change things for the better. Three and half years later Trump is the government, most people realize Trump is a inept fraud, they are tired of his child like temper tantrums, his constant whining, his grifting and his lies. What I can't figure out is why his supporters haven't figured this out yet.

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2020 3:40 PM

Never think that, R24. He doesn’t want to be a one-term President, and the dream of putting two more Justices on the Supreme Court including RBG’s replacement is titillating to him. He loves judges, he loves knowing he can still be fucking this country up long after he’s dead through all of these lifetime judicial appointments.

by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2020 3:41 PM

[quote] That’s a strawman. No article I’ve ever posted implied such a thing, including this one. Only a fool would think that either candidate is guaranteed victory based on the picture six months from an election. But it feels good knowing our guy is on the right track, and I’ll never stop cheering for him.

Of course if the shoe was on the other foot and Joe Biden was the one losing now, I doubt these eeyores would be touting 2016 in support of him. They’d happily declare that Biden is finished, lament how we should’ve nominated various other candidates and tell us that Trump already won the election.

This needs to be repeated!

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2020 3:45 PM

I think he threw in the towel when he realized there is no path to victory.

Now he is just getting revenge.

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2020 3:47 PM

[quote] Never think that, [R24]. He doesn’t want to be a one-term President, and the dream of putting two more Justices on the Supreme Court including RBG’s replacement is titillating to him. He loves judges, he loves knowing he can still be fucking this country up long after he’s dead through all of these lifetime judicial appointments.

No ma’am. The only thing Trump loves and care about is enriching himself. The Federalist Society and old school Republicans care about judges, not Trump!

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2020 3:47 PM

Trump is only leading in Utah by 3 points.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2020 3:51 PM

[quote] I think he threw in the towel when he realized there is no path to victory. Now he is just getting revenge.

He’s not going to throw the towel in. Re-election is the only way he can avoid prosecution and it’s the only way that he can use all the levers of the federal government to enrich himself. It’s ridiculous to suggest that he will quit. He’s not going to quit. He’s going to cheat, any way that he can.

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2020 3:51 PM

He already quit.

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2020 3:52 PM

R30 that looks like an outlier poll. Other pollsters have him up by 19 in Utah.

by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2020 3:53 PM

Trump will die in prison. That is the only way I see this ending for him.

by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2020 3:55 PM

I think he will resign at the last minute and have Pence pardon him.

There is no way he wins. The votes are not there.

If he resigns, he will look like he is leaving on his terms, compete with pardons.

He will look like a complete loser if he waits to lose miserably in a landslide to Biden.

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2020 4:00 PM

R29 And the Federalist Society and the old school (and Trump University-schooled) Republicans will be answering for that for decades to come. The November elections will just be the start. Try as Trump may, the Republicans scared for their own skins are already starting to distance themselves from him and the rush for the exits will only increase. Not sure if that'll work for them, either, because sooner or later, they'll have to answer to the voters why they supported the man whose signature accomplishments were killing their relatives and crashing the economy by ignoring the pandemic until it was too late and then doing too little when it was obvious.

The white right and the Republican party are like the Texans at the Alamo. They're making their last stand and they're going to be slaughtered.

If Pence pardons him, R35, New York state will do what they're planning to do anyway - indict, convict, and jail him.

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2020 4:01 PM

His approval ratings are back down in the toilet. People are going to be dropping dead between now and November and people a sick of the rethugs and want new leadership.

This will be the bluest election in 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2020 4:02 PM

[QUOTE] I think he will resign at the last minute and have Pence pardon him.

Pardon him from what, R35? He has to be convicted of something first.

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2020 4:04 PM

[quote] His approval ratings are back down in the toilet. People are going to be dropping dead between now and November and people a sick of the rethugs and want new leadership. This will be the bluest election in 30 years.

When were they out of the toilet? They are consistently low.

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2020 4:06 PM

R38 Not true: Nixon never was - Ford pardoned him with language saying something like "all crimes he might have committed."

by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2020 4:06 PM

R39,

You need to read 538.com and see how low they are now.

Interestingly, the last time they were so low was during October of 2017. What was going on then?

by Anonymousreply 41May 27, 2020 4:08 PM

[quote] He already quit.

Technically he never actually started the job. Technically he also never stopped campaigning for the job he never actually started. He wants to be president but he does not want to do the job. He wants the title and the power. He will not give those up.

by Anonymousreply 42May 27, 2020 4:08 PM

The military has already started distancing themselves from Trump. The generals disdain him. That trend will only continue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 27, 2020 4:12 PM

[quote] [R39], You need to read 538.com and see how low they are now. Interestingly, the last time they were so low was during October of 2017. What was going on then?

40% of the electorate = his base

He’s usually hovering around 43%. That hasn’t changed. And of course there’s that 50+ % of the country that believe he is better able to handle the economy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 27, 2020 4:12 PM

FF the Trump fluffer.

Big boy is going DOWN!

by Anonymousreply 45May 27, 2020 4:14 PM

More and more and more...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 27, 2020 4:15 PM

[QUOTE] Not true: Nixon never was - Ford pardoned him with language saying something like "all crimes he might have committed."

That’s abhorrent. The president can pardon people like that? We need a constitutional change to strip them of such power.

by Anonymousreply 47May 27, 2020 4:15 PM

Anybody know what was happening in OCT 2017? The last time his ratings were so low?

Was that around the white supremacy murders at Charlottesville that he supported or was it the peak time for mass shootings which he would not condemn the NRA?

I think we are in another one of those times where the rethugs are stirring race divisions because they got nothing else to run on.

Let’s hope this brings them all down. As it should.

by Anonymousreply 48May 27, 2020 4:17 PM

When he went golfing during the 100,000 mark, that was his way of telling Americans “I quit!”

by Anonymousreply 49May 27, 2020 4:19 PM

Joe Biden: Wear a mask.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 27, 2020 5:03 PM

R42 well said. He never wanted the work that comes with the job. He is a lazy, fucking asshole.

by Anonymousreply 51May 27, 2020 5:21 PM

R4o why the hell wasn’t that challenged? I honesty to don’t think pardons should be allowed before someone is actually charged with a specific crime.

by Anonymousreply 52May 27, 2020 5:32 PM

Who would challenge it, R40? The pardon powers of the President are based on Article Two of the United States Constitution (Section 2, Clause 1), which provides:

"The President ... shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of impeachment."

The U.S. Supreme Court has interpreted this language to include the power to grant pardons, conditional pardons, commutations of sentence, conditional commutations of sentence, remissions of fines and forfeitures, respites, and amnesties.

Assuming you got a two-thirds majority for the change or changes in both Houses to pass a joint resolution, you'd need assent to the change from three fourths (38) of the states. It could also be proposed (but not enacted) by a Constitutional Convention called by two thirds of the state legislatures which has never been the case (no amendment to the Constitution has ever been made that way) and it's doubtful that it'd be one you'd want to see one because they could change anything else they liked while they're there.

It's a high bar to pass.

by Anonymousreply 53May 27, 2020 7:21 PM

The Supreme Court has not clarified the powers of the pardon r53, that's my point. In the 70s the Democrats the House should have filed suit against Ford because he did not have the ability to Pardon someone against crime when they haven't been accused by a court of law. Nixon lost a political battle, we were never given the ability to start the legal fight. I think Presidents shouldn't be able to circumvent the process. I don't find pardon's valid without an actual offense against the United States. This would have likely lead to the same outcome for Nixon and Ford, but I think it's very important interpretation of pardons.

by Anonymousreply 54May 27, 2020 8:23 PM

Yeah if that happened today, there would have to be a legal challenge.

by Anonymousreply 55May 27, 2020 9:58 PM

R54 and others, the Democrats in 1974 recognized that pushing the pardon issue more would possibly have affected their chances to knock the GOP out in 1976. As it is, with the ultimately ineffectual Carter elected, the GOP had no trouble surmounting Nixon's and the GOP's catastrophe and Reagan - a true precursor to Trump and the first of the "new" Republican pre-tea-shits - was elected. It has been Reagan's world ever since, in electoral terms.

Times are different now. The Democrats need to show that they recognize that the present Republican Party is an existential threat to our country and our Constitution. The know-nothing, "no reality except our cynical propaganda of the moment," greed-merchant, special-interest fascists under guise of God and nationalism will destroy everything if the Democrats don't throw the gauntlet down and say, "Enough."

The courts are set to support the GOP unless an extremely forceful set of cases are made. And the electorate must step forward. It is ridiculous that at this moment Trump could be ready to pardon HIMSELF and everyone he knows.

We are in a cold civil war now and we all need to see the stakes. And much of it is being arranged by non-US support, as in 2016.

The GOP have no bottom to what they will try. Period.

by Anonymousreply 56May 27, 2020 10:11 PM

Hold on!

I thought once impeached the shitstain couldn't be pardoned? That's why Nixon resigned before he could be impeached?

No pardons for this prick or his grifting, treasonous brats and cunt Jared. All of their heads on pikes lining Pennsylvania Ave!

by Anonymousreply 57May 28, 2020 1:22 AM

R57 He was impeached but not convicted by the Senate (because they're lickspittles, but you knew that.)

Nixon resigned because he knew if he were impeached, he'd be convicted: Watergate was about breaking into Democratic HQ and the D's controlled both the House (impeach) and the Senate (convict) then.

by Anonymousreply 58May 28, 2020 1:32 AM

[quote]Current ~Mask Wars~ are going to cut whatever gains Biden has made in those states.

R14, not necessarily. The recent Ipsos & Qunnipiac polls show that more people are wearing masks and that people think Trump should wear a mask.

From Harry Enten:

[quote]Most people are wearing masks... and it's a growing % of the population. Moreover, most think Trump should be wearing a mask.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 28, 2020 8:22 AM

The danger with Trump is if the man calls in a national emergency in November and restricts the election in Milwaukee, Detroit and Philadelphia depressing Democratic voting. That man is capable of anything to avoid prosecution.

by Anonymousreply 60May 28, 2020 9:27 AM

How the Hell is Trump even a viable candidate? People should be calling for his resignation.

by Anonymousreply 61May 28, 2020 9:54 AM

This collection of latest polls at 270toWin has Biden ahead in every national poll, but also ahead in a few key state polls in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida and neck and neck in Georgia. One poll has Biden ahead in North Carolina, the other one gives it to Thump. The other red states remain red.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 28, 2020 10:15 AM

He's just a spokesmodel, not much to do but create daily distractions while the thugs rape our environment. And the Russiapublicans are paying him billions.

by Anonymousreply 63May 28, 2020 10:50 AM

You left off Arizona. The latest poll has Biden ahead within the margin of error.

by Anonymousreply 64May 28, 2020 11:46 AM

I’m starting to smell the Trump campaign testing out some 1968 style stoking of urban violence to be the silent majority Nixon. It’s also the Russia playbook. I hope the Biden team has some counter strategy ready.

by Anonymousreply 65May 28, 2020 12:01 PM

[quote] R18: So that’s why the dumpsters are trying to get us to go outside maskless. They are actually trying to kill people. Repugs are the Pro-Death Party

R18, I think you are right. I wrote the following, hmm, probably a year or even two years ago, and I think I nailed it, so I want to repeat it:

At the end, Hitler believed that the German people had failed him, personally. As a consequence, they deserved whatever they had coming. He issued the Nero Decree, ordering the destruction of German infrastructure by retreating Germans so as to prevent it’s use by the allies. Things like factories, dams, bridges, mines. It was widely ignored by the German Generals for who cycles of war and peace with neighbors was a way of life. They weren’t about to make their own future more bleak.

Hitler required the regular army recruits to take a personal oath of loyalty to him. Not to the German State or Government or even Nazi Party - to him, personally. So does Trump. Isn’t it odd to require an oath from a new hire, given that a new hire would naturally be loyal and appreciative, already? Yes, it is. It’s paranoid-crazy, or, Trump knows he’s an asshole who regularly turns his supporters into enemies, or both.

So, my prediction is that Trump, who is an idiotic, delusional psychopath - don’t kid yourself, he is not remotely human; he will get crazier and crazier as his own downfall approaches. He’ll start firing allies who aren’t obsequious enough. Oh, he’s already done that. He’ll start trying to suppress the vote and the Press. Oh, he’s already on to that. Eventually, he will get to deliberate actions designed to hurt people. Not just political opponents. He’s already done that, too, but his own allies and supporters. He doesn’t care about them.

He’s also already doing this, too. His handling of the pandemic is a disaster and will get worse; but I think, so far, that this is just his usual callousness and interest in personal aggrandizement. He’s executing his oppositional defiance disorder. It will get much worse. He will start going out of his way to punish the public because he’s mad that he will lose. Some of his staff will realize what he’s doing and will quit, but most will ride the tiger to the end. And it won’t be good for anybody.

by Anonymousreply 66May 28, 2020 2:30 PM

“... So does Trump...”

I meant, Trump requires the loyalty oath from new hires, not from US military recruits.

by Anonymousreply 67May 28, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote] R35: I think he will resign at the last minute and have Pence pardon him.

I don’t think he’d trust Pence, nor do I think Pence will do so, even if he says he will in advance. Pence knows that was a disaster for Ford. I think he’ll pardon himself. He doesn’t even have to make it public. He’ll keep it quiet, and see if revealing it later works to his advantage. He’ll let the courts decide later if it’s legal to do so, with the goal of making the challenge last a decade, only with a secondary goal of winning the challenge.

by Anonymousreply 68May 28, 2020 2:48 PM

Dump is in competition with the virus and he is losing, He don't like that at all.

by Anonymousreply 69May 28, 2020 3:38 PM

Two more polls have been added today. Another poll in Florida has Biden up by 1%. This same poll had Biden and Trump tied a little over a month ago. With all polls in Florida from February to today averaged, Biden leads Trump 48.7% to 45.7%.

A Missouri poll today, interestingly, has Trump ahead 48% to 44% for Biden, but that figure is down from 53% for Trump in early March (via a different pollster).

All polls in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan and Arizona have Biden leading, in most cases by sizable amounts. All states Trump won in 2016.

If Biden takes his birth state of Pennsylvania, and assuming he wins the same 20 states Clinton won in 2016, Biden needs to pick up just two more battleground states to hit 270 electoral votes. Or just Pennsylvania and Florida would do it. I know polls led us astray in 2016, but one would hope a wrecked economy, record unemployment and 100,000 dead might be enough for three states to flip blue.

by Anonymousreply 70May 28, 2020 6:29 PM

Shit it will be 150K dead by election day

by Anonymousreply 71May 28, 2020 9:19 PM

If not 200,000 R71

by Anonymousreply 72May 28, 2020 10:36 PM

R70, yes, even Republican pollsters are showing Biden ahead in Arizona.

High Ground Public Affairs & OH Predictive Insights both have Biden leading in Arizona, along with huge leads for Kelly in the Senate race.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 29, 2020 12:16 AM

Arizona will eventually turn solid blue because of Californians moving there. Nevada is blue. 50,000 Californians have moved there in the past two years.

by Anonymousreply 74May 29, 2020 12:26 AM

I also find it interesting that in a lot of projections, Texas is pink instead of solid red. With the growing Latin voter base, will we see Texas turn blue in our lifetimes?

Here is a link to 270's national and state polls. Even North Carolina appears to be a toss-up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 29, 2020 12:42 AM

Texas was blue until the civil rights movement came along. At that time, California was red.

by Anonymousreply 76May 29, 2020 11:29 AM

New Senate poll for *MAINE*

Sara Gideon (D) 51%

Susan Collins (R) 42%

It's a Democratic-sponsored poll, so some caution must be exercised, but it's still not a good sign for Susan Collins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 29, 2020 8:34 PM

My nipples just hardened.

by Anonymousreply 78May 29, 2020 8:38 PM

Trump's job disapproval hits an all-time high for 2020 in the 538 average (53.6%):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 30, 2020 9:18 AM

[quote]New Senate poll for *MAINE* - Sara Gideon (D) 51% - Susan Collins (R) 42%

For once in her life, Susan Collins has a reason to be concerned.

by Anonymousreply 80May 30, 2020 12:55 PM

Opinion column hits nail on head and savagely berates Trump and his obvious strategy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 30, 2020 2:23 PM

Harry Enten today:

[quote]I've written on the fact that a lot of things can still happen. We're 5 months away from election day... but Trump continues to poll worse than any elected incumbent at this point since scientific polling began.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 31, 2020 8:38 AM

More curious than anything, but do we have polling data for Truman? I couldn't find any when looking but I also don't really know where to look. But I did find mentions that he was polling really badly and I'm wondering if Trump is polling worse than that?

by Anonymousreply 83May 31, 2020 9:32 AM

[bold]Biden leads Trump in Post-ABC poll as president’s coronavirus rating slips[/bold]

Washington Post by Dan Balz and Emily Guskin

May 31, 2020 at 12:01 a.m. EDT

Americans give President Trump negative ratings for his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, and as the crisis has persisted his prospects for reelection in November have eroded, with former vice president Joe Biden now holding a clear lead nationally, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Overall, Americans offer mixed assessments of Trump and Biden, and although the presumptive Democratic nominee is viewed less favorably overall today than he was last fall, he fares better than the president on several personal attributes. At the same time, Trump’s supporters are notably more enthusiastic and committed to voting for him in the fall than are those who currently back Biden. Biden leads Trump 53 percent to 43 percent among registered voters nationally. That 10 percentage-point margin compares with what was a virtual dead heat between the two candidates two months ago, when Biden was at 49 percent and Trump 47 percent. Among all adults, Biden’s margin widens to 13 points (53 percent to 40 percent).

Against a rapidly changing backdrop — with the coronavirus far from contained, the prospects for the economy remaining rocky as many businesses begin to reopen and violence convulsing cities across the nation — the poll captures the moment. But it is not predictive as to the political fallout and implications for November, especially given the possible disparity between the popular vote and the electoral college results as was the case in 2016. Among Trump supporters, 84 percent of adults say they would definitely vote for him in November, compared with 68 percent of Biden supporters. Among Trump backers, 87 percent say they are enthusiastic about supporting him and 64 percent are “very enthusiastic.” Among Biden supporters, 74 percent say they are enthusiastic about backing him, with 31 percent saying they are “very enthusiastic.”

When a Biden-Trump contest is filtered only through those who currently say they are certain to vote, the former vice president’s margin is cut in half (51-46 percent). That highlights the significance of efforts by both campaigns to register and turn out every possible supporter and heightens the ongoing debate over whether states should make voting by mail easier, which Trump opposes even as his party has promoted it as a tool. On the question of making voting by mail easier, 87 percent of Democrats and 67 percent of independents favor such moves by the states, while 61 percent of Republicans oppose such changes, including 53 percent who say they are strongly opposed. Overall, 65 percent of adults express support.

As they think about the problems the next president will inherit, Americans are evenly divided over whether Trump or Biden is better equipped to manage a recovery of the battered economy (47 percent each), while Biden is favored over Trump as the leader to manage efforts to control the spread of the virus (50 percent to 42 percent). Two months ago, Trump reached his highest approval rating in Post-ABC polls and for the first time he was in narrowly positive territory with 48 percent approving to 46 percent disapproving. The current poll puts him back into negative territory, with 45 percent approving and 53 percent disapproving.

by Anonymousreply 84May 31, 2020 2:21 PM

Mighty Joe Biden continues marching toward victory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 31, 2020 6:24 PM

R83, in the Dewey-Truman race, pollsters did all their polling over the phone, and significantly oversampled Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 86May 31, 2020 6:49 PM

The best data point in the poll: Biden beating Trump on 'mental sharpness'. Ha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 31, 2020 6:52 PM

Nate Cohn today:

[quote]Biden up 10 among RVs in the new ABC/Post poll. It's been a pretty sparse two months of polling, but the high quality stuff--however few and far between--has been strong for Biden

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 31, 2020 11:26 PM

How are you faring, Poll Troll? Please visit the DL frequently and post regularly; always appreciate your sang froid analyses of current trends!

by Anonymousreply 89May 31, 2020 11:58 PM

[QUOTE] "I’ve never seen a sitting president and his allies this frightened about who may be the nominee."

Now we know why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 1, 2020 12:07 AM

Old news, but if Joni Ernst thinks the Republicans are going to retake the House (where impeachment happens) anytime soon both her grasp of the US Constitution and of American politics is suspect.

But I guess that's old news, too.

by Anonymousreply 91June 1, 2020 12:21 AM

Hi, R89. : ) I'm faring well. I'm here most days now during polling season.

Yes, I try to be objective in analyzing polls, although on a personal level I'm always rooting for the Dems.

by Anonymousreply 92June 1, 2020 12:26 AM

Harry Enten today:

[quote]Closing out May there's really just one thing to say: Biden's in one the best positions for any challenger since scientific polling began. He led in every poll this month. He's lead in every poll that called cell phones this entire year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 1, 2020 12:28 AM

Joe Biden could take a shit on national television and still come out looking better than trump! Trump is officially over after this week

by Anonymousreply 94June 1, 2020 12:30 AM

We’ve still got quite a ways to go, R94. All we currently have is momentum. We need to keep up the pressure and keep marching toward November 3. Joe can’t win if we don’t vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 95June 1, 2020 12:44 AM

Jonathan Martin (New York Times):

People close to the president, including several senior White House officials, have privately expressed concerns that his incendiary response to the Minneapolis riots will hurt him with independents and suburban women

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 1, 2020 3:02 AM

I originally thought that the violence would work for Trump. But, his "response" has convinced me that it could be the final nail in the coffin. He has failed to provide leadership for the country in the two biggest crises of his presidency. In fact, he has done more harm.

by Anonymousreply 97June 1, 2020 6:15 AM

I never bought into the theory that violence would be good for Trump. Most Americans don’t want to see other Americans mowed down in the streets, which is essentially what he’s threatening. His base certainly would love that, but you’re not getting 270 electoral votes appealing to those dipshits.

by Anonymousreply 98June 1, 2020 11:14 AM

Trump really is in a no-win situation at the moment. Yes, he needed a race war to ramp up support from his base, but now what? If he comes on any stronger for "crushing" the protests, he will look like the worst kind of authoritative dictator. But his current course of action (sniveling in the WH bunker while tweeting) is coming off cowardly.

by Anonymousreply 99June 1, 2020 11:18 AM

If Biden doesn’t become more visible Trump could win by default. I hate to say this but Biden reminds me of Hillary not bothering to show up in states needed to win. This is the perfect opportunity for a real leader to hit the airwaves 24/7 trying to bring things under control. Biden, while doing an interview here and there just isn’t on people’s radar. I really hope they aren’t counting on winning based solely on Trump hate. That’s where Hillary went wrong.

I think I just know how backwards this country is re-electing Nixon, Reagan, Bush Jr and the biggest pig and conman in the world, Donald Trump.

While Biden might not be taking advantage of showing true leadership over the airwaves, neither is Trump. He’s basically said nothing. Tweeting isn’t leadership. People know he’s in hiding. Had this been Reagan, he would put on a show showing strength rounding up rioters and giving one speech after another about law and order which would get him easily re-elected. Don’t forget Clinton’s Sister Souljah moment.

So I really don’t see Biden or Trump getting anything out of this, good or bad. At least not at this point. The media is even pointing out that they are getting very little in the way of statements from public officials. It’s like those in power are on vacation. Quite frankly it’s frightening.

by Anonymousreply 100June 1, 2020 11:51 AM

Biden was out yesterday with the protestors and called the man's family and actually listened to them and allowed them to speak, unlike Trump.

What do you want him to do? Begin skywriting?

by Anonymousreply 101June 1, 2020 11:54 AM

R100 is delusional.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 1, 2020 12:01 PM

Biden needs be on television 24/7. People are not seeing this. That’s the point. It’s being lost amongst a million other social media posts.

by Anonymousreply 103June 1, 2020 12:23 PM

Yes, Joe Biden needs to step it up. His campaign is faltering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 1, 2020 12:27 PM

I saw a Republican pundit and author on Twitter asking where Trump was, why Trump was so weak, and hundreds were liking his tweets. He was RTing other Republicans asking the same thing. It doesn't look good for Trump. This is the kind of event where Repugs want their leader to gloat and strut around and look powerful, and instead he hid inside his widdle bunker with the lights off. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 105June 1, 2020 12:54 PM

The news and social media made quite a big deal about Biden being out in the protests while Trump hid, as well they should. He's doing just fine.

by Anonymousreply 106June 1, 2020 12:55 PM

I think Biden's strategy to pop up and look like a uniter and a healer is working just fine.

by Anonymousreply 107June 1, 2020 2:00 PM

[quote] Yes, he needed a race war to ramp up support from his base, but now what?

He needed a “race war to ramp up support” from the 40% of the electorate who make up his cult and who will gladly follow him into the bowels of hell? Really?

by Anonymousreply 108June 2, 2020 9:48 PM

In other political news tonight, nine-term GOP Rep. Steve King of Iowa is in danger of losing his primary. He's currently trailing State Senator Randy Feenstra.

by Anonymousreply 109June 3, 2020 2:47 AM

I don’t want him to lose. I’d love to hang his racist rhetoric around the necks of Republicans for another election. Him pulling this out will have him feeling so invincible, who knows what we can get out of him afterward.

by Anonymousreply 110June 3, 2020 3:02 AM

Woah Poll Troll. That is a BIGGIE!

by Anonymousreply 111June 3, 2020 3:04 AM

Dave Wasserman:

[quote]I've seen enough. Rep. Steve King (R) has been defeated in #IA04.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112June 3, 2020 3:05 AM

Great. Now they get to run someone who thinks just like him but is smart enough not to say it out loud.

by Anonymousreply 113June 3, 2020 3:08 AM

Meanwhile, Theresa Greenfield has won the Democratic Senate primary to take on GOP Senator. Joni Ernst.

by Anonymousreply 114June 3, 2020 3:12 AM

Fox News polls from 6/3 have Biden ahead in Wisconsin (+9), Ohio (+2) and Arizona (+4). Two recent polls in North Carolina have Biden and Trump neck and neck (including one today where Biden leads +4). Still five months to go, but Biden is leading in the crucial battleground states where the election will be decided.

by Anonymousreply 115June 4, 2020 1:51 PM

There's a concerning Trafalgar poll from Wisconsin today that has Trump +1, although all other polls from Wisconsin this month have Biden leading, some by double digits (including the A+ NY Times/Siena poll, with Biden +13).

by Anonymousreply 116June 29, 2020 3:01 PM

From Rubin at WaPo today in a column titled Let Biden be Biden:

Meanwhile, Biden has endured weeks of back-seat driving from pundits annoyed he is not getting out enough. In fact, strategically scheduled events combined with more TV interviews and searing ads (in particular, from the Lincoln Project ad gurus) allow him to remain a steady presence and serene alternative to the chaos-spreading president....

Here is where the caveats come:

It’s too early. (Even though no incumbent president save Harry Truman won after trailing this badly.)

No one thought Trump could win in 2016. (A surprise last time does not affect the odds of a surprise this time.)

Democrats may find a way to blow it. (Irrational, albeit understandable.)

Biden could falter in the debates. (Against a candidate who cannot explain what he will do in a second term?)

Let’s put it this way: For Trump to win, he would have to stop being Trump and Biden would have to stop being Biden.

by Anonymousreply 117June 29, 2020 3:54 PM

Seems they've gone from this to "maybe you need to drop out"

by Anonymousreply 118June 29, 2020 4:03 PM

Let’s hope he stays in, R118.

by Anonymousreply 119June 30, 2020 1:03 AM

Biden was dead in the water in the primaries as well. His sister and wife are advising him masterfully. They will be the power behind the throne of he captures the big chair.

by Anonymousreply 120June 30, 2020 3:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!