Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Were Baby Boomers really in touch with Great Generation culture?

They seem to get super offended when people don't know every last thing about their pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2020 9:35 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2020 12:24 PM

What does that question even mean?

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2020 12:28 PM

Hell no.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 12:29 PM

I certainly was.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 12:29 PM

I don't understabd why we are still hearing the same 70s classic rock songs that they played when I was a kid in the 80s. Shouldn't classic rock be from the 90s at least? As this thread points out, boomers weren't listening to old 78s or wire recordings....

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2020 12:34 PM

No! Boomers hated everything that reminded them of their parents. They never wanted to become them.

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2020 12:35 PM

I was, r5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2020 12:39 PM

Nobody ever thinks their parents are cool.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2020 12:41 PM

I listened to my parents’ and relatives’ stories, watched old movies and had some interest in the “good old days”. I didn’t know everything about the time, actually very little, but did know something.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2020 12:42 PM

Nostalgia was big in the '70s...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2020 12:46 PM

Classic rock music was from around 1955 to 1975, more or less. Any rock after that isn't "classic" rock.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 12:49 PM

OP , it's the Greatest Generation, btw

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2020 12:52 PM

[quote]Any rock after that isn't "classic" rock.

And only occasionally "rock" for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 12:52 PM

A lot of Boomers act like those fancy Joan Crawford Bette Davis actresses are from their generation when They're totally not.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2020 12:53 PM

GenX here. I think you would need someone from the greatest or silent or whatever generation to answer that with perspective.

But I do remember them being able to discuss things like books and music that occurred before their birth. I don’t remember hearing “I’m young” as an excuse for ignorance of the classics if that is your question.

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2020 1:06 PM

I hear you about the death of rock, R11 and R13, but chronologically speaking the Eagles are to me what King Oliver would have been to boomers (in our respective youths). The Eagles are still herez but we sure as hell aren't hearing Dixieland on the FM dial.

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 1:12 PM

I may not be making myself entirely clear. I'm just saying that the stuff on classic rock radio is alarmingly ancient and overplayed. Past generations were not subjected to such stale programming.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2020 1:17 PM

I'm Generation Jones (1960) but I feel aligned with the Boomers as far as pop culture. We loved Marx Brothers movies, Little Rascals, Fractured Flickers, Abbott & Costello, old comedy and novelty songs played on the Dr. Demento Show, etc. Basically recorded comedy that was produced years before we were born. We appreciated it. But for popular music, we greatly preferred the current music on the radio, not our parents' music. We also watched a lot of TV.

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2020 1:20 PM

I thought Boomer's like this music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2020 1:27 PM

I think I get what you are saying R17. I think it is because when the classic rock stations came about as a rejection of disco those rock albums became the definition of classic rock.

So rather than classic rolling forward as time progressed it became a static description of music released at that time. “Classic” 80s and 90s just became eighties and nineties. And what probably would qualify as classic “rock” became grunge.

That having been said, I do remember hearing Van Halen on my classic rock station some years ago and thinking “wait, that was from when I was in high school. “

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2020 1:40 PM

We're probably going to be calling what's considered "Classic Rock," "Classic Rock" forever, at this point.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2020 1:50 PM

Boomer here. We had to be more tuned in to our parents' culture because there were far fewer options for entertainment. Most of us grew up in one-TV households, so we all watched the same thing. (And there were only three or four channels available anyway.) When we were younger, our parents had to take us to the movies (no home entertainment options). Parents controlled the music, too. Things started to change gradually with the advent of the transistor radio and then 8-tracks and cassettes.

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2020 3:27 PM

Yep. We did listen more to the stories our parents told, partly because there was less to distract us, but also because WWII was a fascinating thing to hear about first-hand. It was so different from the comfortable culture into which we were born, generation wars notwithstanding. My father could talk about the Depression as well, though he was only a kid during it. Possibly the later you were born the better, because the early boomers were very caught up in challenging anything old. Even so, most of them got a good dose of their parents' music and TV before they got to their mid-teens.

The other thing was that education was a lot more wideranging then. Schools weren't fixated on fitting you for jobs, or trying to get you into schools for the gifted when you weren't. They wanted you to understand your context in the world: to get the flow of history and how it informed the present, to grasp geography in terms of your being part of a fascinating world, to understand literature in order to boost your imagination, not to teach you only what was "relevant to you". Science during the space race was in the context of our place in the cosmos. Nowadays kids are brought up to believe that everything that's worth knowing is about them.

Not saying boomers haven't been selfish pricks at all stages, but broadly speaking they're better informed selfish pricks.

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2020 4:12 PM

Get a load of Dead Poets Society over here @ R23

I’m kidding. Your points are valid. Better informed might bring some heat. But who could question that education delivered in the past had many advantages over what is allowed now.

But I would wager that there are some things of significance that have escaped your omniscient view. Just like me. I loathe the ignorance on display today. But I have to reason that just like me, there are things that my son understands better than his dad.

Of course, they think they understand better about everything.

by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2020 4:43 PM

I'd honestly love to know what those things of significance are, R24, because I despair. I need to be given a reason to think there are things they understand better. (Don't say tech, because that will really get me going - not my experience of them at all.)

by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2020 8:03 AM

As R23 said. Boomers, Xers and generations before them were more aware of the world around them and what had gone before them. Millennials and Zoomers are being raised in a bubble.

by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2020 10:56 AM

The Boomers were the first ones to start being raised as narcissists (although it got much worse with the succeeding generations). So they still think the 60s defined modern history and the mediocre Beatles were brilliant gods.

by Anonymousreply 27May 29, 2020 11:00 AM

If I knew R23, it would defeat my point. It was based on me getting things that my folks didn’t.

And I agree with you. Tech ain’t it. In fact, the z’s seem to rebel against tech to a point.

by Anonymousreply 28May 30, 2020 8:58 PM

R27 The Beatles were never mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2020 9:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!