Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Richard Herd is DEAD to me.

Richard Herd, an instantly recognizable character actor who recurred as Mr. Wilhelm on Seinfeld and appeared in All the President’s Men, The China Syndrome and several Star Trek projects, among many other credits, died Tuesday in Los Angeles of cancer complications. He was 87.

Herd’s death was announced by his wife, actress Patricia Crowder Herd.

Herd is probably best known to TV audiences for his role as Mr. Wilhelm on Seinfeld, George Costanza’s New York Yankees boss who in one memorable episode is recruited by a religious cult (1996’s “The Checks”) and in another (1995’s “The Hot Tub”) is convinced George is cracking under the stress of the Big Leagues. Herd appeared in 11 Seinfeld episodes during it last four seasons, including the finale.

Herd appeared as the leader of the Watergate burglars in 1976’s All the President’s Men and as the duplicitous nuclear power plant boss in 1979’s The China Syndrome.

Other TV credits The Rockford Files, Eight Is Enough, Starsky & Hutch, MASH, Dallas, Hart to Hart, V, T.J. Hooker, Ike: The War Years, seaQuest 2032, Simon & Simon and Shameless, among many others. He played the Klingon L’Kor on Star Trek: The Next Generation and Admiral Owen Paris on Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Renegades.

Film credits include Private Benjamin, The Onion Field, I Never Promised You a Rose Garden and Get Out.

In addition to his wife, survivors include daughter Erica, son Rick and stepdaughter Alicia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2020 9:15 PM

Other...other TV credit: On Golden Girls, he played Rose's impotent boy friend. He left Rose to go back to his estranged wife after Rose helped him get it up again. Rose's exit words to the other Girls: "She can have it, if she can find it!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2020 12:52 PM

WHO? He wasn't even existing to me to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2020 1:00 PM

Very recognizable, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 1:13 PM

John from V!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 1:14 PM

Was he related to John Heard? William Hurt? Gale Ann Hurd?

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2020 2:43 PM

R4 That’s who we will always be to me. Being stuck inside, I rewatched the original mini-series and The Final Battle recently.

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2020 4:10 PM

Was he related to Karl Malden??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2020 5:47 AM

I guess he was smart. They named Herd Mentality after him.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2020 9:00 PM

GenXers this is what we remember him from.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2020 9:13 PM

Here he is with the fabulous Diana and the hot Lizard who fucked the ugly plump girl and she gave birth to the Star Child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2020 9:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!