Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do You Have A Bread Drawer Does it Keep Your Buns Fresh

I watched a brief video, from the 1950s, on modern kitchens. One of the kitchens included a bread and cake drawer. Apparently bread drawers are still a thing. Who is familiar with this innovation? Does it work? Are your buns fresh and ready to be served to your guests?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 6:01 PM

We had one growing up in a house built in the mid 70s - wish I had one in my current kitchen. I hate seeing bread bags on the counter!.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2020 12:01 PM

My grandmother had one that smelled yeasty and weird. And she also had a bread drawer.

/I’ll show myself out now.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2020 12:01 PM

[quote] We had one growing up in a house built in the mid 70s - wish I had one in my current kitchen. I hate seeing bread bags on the counter!.

Apparently you can convert a regular drawer into a bread drawer.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 12:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 12:09 PM

We have a German bread tin. It is a circular, blue enamel tin with "Give us this day our daily bread." in German on the lid. we bake bread every Sunday; so, bread is kind of a big deal in our house.

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2020 12:11 PM

and cleaning it out must be enjoyable..

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2020 1:14 PM

Sweetheart, my buns are always fresh and enjoyable, regardless of where I put them.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2020 1:25 PM

What I find interesting is that both photos show bread in plastic, which is a huge no-no. Bread should only be in brown paper bags; however, the point of a bread drawer or bread box is that the bread does not need additional covering.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2020 1:28 PM

[quote] the point of a bread drawer or bread box is that the bread does not need additional covering.

Correct. They were made for the days when people bought freshly baked bread at bakeries and they weren't covered.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2020 2:01 PM

The bad news: I have neither a bread drawer, nor even a drawer to convert, nor a bread tin, nor a bread box.

The good news: people where I live their bread daily; there are five bread bakeries within a block, and half of them almost around the clock, so if you need a loaf of brad at 4AM...

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2020 2:03 PM

Not a drawer, but my mother always had a wooden breadbox on the counter to store bread and rolls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 2:07 PM

I keep my bread in the refrigerator and use a colander to strain my pasta.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2020 2:22 PM

I have one in my kitchen and have only used it to store paper bags, plastic bags (now banned in my town) from the grocery store

I freeze my sliced bread

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 3:50 PM

I knew some people who had them when I was a kid, but they always bothered me, because they never opened and closed smoothly. That metal lid would stick every time, and the well for your fingers to push it was too shallow, so it would catch and stick on its way down the runner. I haven't thought of this in years.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2020 3:59 PM

How about a nice Hoosier cabinet or a pie safe?

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2020 5:57 PM

Do they work? I hate stale or moldy bread.

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 6:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!