Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL classical music sleuths

Who is the fake composer and conductor in this story?

I'm fascinated that 1) that he even tried it and 2) got away with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 7:02 PM

Googled the author and looks like the composer is Tim Janis. Never heard of him and his music is more shlocky movie themes than classical.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2020 11:54 AM

Ugh, just saw this posted on Facebook by a friend, looks lurid

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2020 12:21 PM

This sounds a bit like the Victoria Wood film ,,Loving Miss Hatto" about the concert pianist, Joyce Hatto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 1:37 PM

I call shenanigan on this whole story. How many people can go to a concert and not tell the difference between a CD playing and live musicians? Maybe a handful of times -- people are stupid, after all .-- but hundreds or thousands of times, as her story implies?

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 3:46 PM

^ shenanigans

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2020 3:48 PM

For R4:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2020 3:49 PM

Yes, r6, but we're talking about *live* performances by an entire *orchestra*, not a singing duo who were mainly heard on records/CDs and the radio.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2020 3:56 PM

I think we're more-likely dealing with Milli Authorini here. Its one thing to lip-sync a song, but its another to have an entire orchestra pull it off. The first thing that came to mind is the insufferable Andre' Rieu (Andre' Ewwwwww), but I know he does actually play the violin, although horribly, but the type of Thomas Kinkade audience he draws wouldn't know a half note from a rest. As a musician, I question what serious performer would even go along with this kind of thing. She made essentially $1,000 per month riding on a rickety bus, faking performances and schilling CDs? She could have worked at Macy's and done gigs in the evening and made more than that. This is going to end badly, I would guess.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2020 4:20 PM

I immediately thought John Tesh, but I don't feel like looking it up.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2020 6:21 PM

If you are familiar with live orchestral music, you know it’s a completely different experience than listening to a CD. But it’s likely that Janis’s audience doesn’t know anything about real classical music, and therefore would not know the difference.

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2020 6:51 PM

Old story. 2019.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 7:00 PM

Janis on Wikipedia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2020 7:01 PM

Hard to imagine no one noticing.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 7:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!