Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

First-World Problem

Yes, I KNOW this is insignificant in light of the current situation. But that's never stopped DLers before, so I'm hoping you can help me.

I have a vacation house in the middle of very scenic Bumfuck, Nowhere. There is a small, eclectic community where the locals shop for groceries, clothes, lube, etc., but if you want any kind of major appliance you have to drive over 100 miles.

When I bought this house seven years ago, I bought for it a new, big-ass 55" Samsung TV, which has served me faithfully. However, I notice that unlike me, the Samsung is not aging all that gracefully. It still works perfectly, but I occasionally have to reboot it, etc. It is, I think, perhaps on its way out.

My question is this: can I buy a new replacement for it and keep it in the box until I need it, or will it "go flat" in the interim? My old Samsung could drop dead next week or in 2025. I have no idea. The reason this concerns me is that I have connections where I live, through whom I can buy a new Samsung at a HUGE discount, as opposed to having to buy one near my vacation home, where I'd pay LOTS more.

Do TVs "keep?"

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 7:03 AM

A 55" TV is hardly "big-ass". 65" is the standard size. And no, TV's do not expire in the box.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2020 4:37 AM

Why do you need a "big-ass TV"?

Do you have big buttocks? Do do excrete from your big bowel into a big toilet?

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2020 4:42 AM

[quote]Do TVs "keep?"

Since they're not organic - yes.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 4:51 AM

It won’t “go bad,” but it will gradually become technologically obsolete. And you will exhaust the warranty.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 4:53 AM

R1—Yes, when I bought it years ago, it WAS a big-ass TV. By today’s standards, probably not so much.

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2020 5:34 AM

R2 ....I am dying here ...LMAO

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2020 5:56 AM

Just replace the TV.

If, after seven years, it is showing signs of decline, accept that you have reached the bottom of a Costco sized jar of some condiment that has served you well for seven years. Don't buy a special spoon to clean all of the bottom crevices of the jar, just replace it. It's time, or time enough. And recognize that in the future you may have to do the same on a roughly similar cycle.

It's a TV, not a brick of gold. It starts it's inevitable decline in the box in the truck from which it was shipped from the factory to a retail store.

Replace your struggling iPhone 5s with an iPhone 12. And know that if you're lucky to live life long enough that you may have to do this again.

It's a TV, FFS. The only thing that gets better and cheaper each time you buy one.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2020 6:35 AM

r1 types fat. Everyone I've ever met with a TV that big was morbidly obese.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2020 6:46 AM

Or likes sports R8

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2020 6:53 AM

I would donate the older TV (after I plugged in the new TV and determined that it works fine).

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2020 6:57 AM

R7 types smart.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 7:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!