Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you consider a movie bad if you enjoy it?

I've noticed some people think movies like Mommie Dearest (1981) and Showgirls (1995) are actually good because they enjoy them. I don't know if I agree. For me, something like Scream for Help (1984) is a fun, but clearly not a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2020 4:27 PM

There are many ways in which a movie might be "bad" - meaning that its flaws ultimately outweigh its virtues. A movie and can well written but poorly acted, poorly written but well acted, well directed but poorly written, well written but poorly directed, on to infinitely. The kind of movie experience I consider my personal worst is when you grudgingly watch to the end, only to be annoyed or disappointed yet again. THE ENGLISH PATIENT comes to mind - just good enough to get through but unbearable in retrospect. Something you'd rather burn than have to watch again.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2020 1:11 AM

Something can be amusing BECAUSE it's bad. Like The Room.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2020 1:13 AM

MOMMIE DEAREST and SHOWGIRLS were big studio productions made by teams of highly talented people. They are both undeniably good in terms of talent, if not the best iteration of that talent.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 1:14 AM

OMG..Scream For Help is HILARIOUS!

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 2:08 AM

Arlington Road. Terrible movie, but riveting.

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2020 4:20 AM

I really enjoy Mallibu's Most Wanted but I'm still not sure if it's a good movie or not.

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2020 4:25 AM

A sign of maturity is doing what you want, what you enjoy without asking other people if it is all right

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2020 4:39 AM

If you can't figure this out OP, just stick to Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2020 4:43 AM

Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde. Tim Daly, Sean Young, Harvy Fierstein and Polly Bergen. Terrible movie by objective standards, but lots of fun.

by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2020 4:54 AM

Good or bad are thought of by how well crafted the movie.

There are many movies that are objectively bad movies, but still you can find them entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2020 4:57 AM

I know I’ll get hate for this, but Titanic is a BAD film with dialogue that sounds like it was written by John Waters. However, the actors are too good for it to be campy enough for me to enjoy. They somehow make lines like “A woman’s heart is a deep ocean of secrets” and “Jack - I want you to draw me like one of your French girls” sound credible enough to be awkward, but not funny.

by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2020 5:22 AM

A sign of maturity is doing what you want, what you enjoy without asking other people if it is all right

True. OP is an insecure teenage boy obsessed with fitting in and looking cool whose petrified his cool masc friends will find out he watches RuPaul's drag race

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2020 5:36 AM

#who's

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2020 5:36 AM

I watched Titanic for the beautiful, mostly accurate set, and then for the period costumes. The story line was unbelievable, and grossly out of tune with the time period. A steerage passenger allowed to dine in first class? Sure Jan.

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2020 5:39 AM

Bad movies can be good fun.

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2020 5:41 AM

All art is subjective. If I enjoy the film and can’t wait to rewatch sometime in the future, I see it as a good film.

by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2020 5:52 AM

[quote] I know I’ll get hate for this, but Titanic is a BAD film

No, most people on here don't like Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2020 3:46 PM

Sure. Do i think this is a dumb question? Sure! OP just talk about whatever piece of shit pic you like already

by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2020 3:58 PM

R1 I'm always startled when people say they didn't like The English Patient. It just shows different tastes I guess. I think it is amazing, and I don't consider myself one who always understands art. I watched it on video with a guy I was dating, at his apartment. I think he didn't like it. I was so moved to see a couple so deeply in love. I realized I didn't love, let alone like, the guy I was with. I let the relationship go.

by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2020 3:58 PM

R19 wow. Cra cra motherfucker! I think the guy was the lucky one to get away from you. I can’t love you because you didn’t frau out to my fav romance movie. I bet you’re single a lot

by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2020 4:02 PM

That English Patient episode on Seinfeld was hilarious.

Other than that, I'm like Rachel: Weekend At Bernie's might be a bad movie, but I enjoyed it when I watched it. Ok, I was 12.

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2020 4:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!