Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Squirrels, the Swimsuit Edition

Please update us on what your backyard squirrels are doing this Summer.

Here is a nerd attempting to build a squirrel-proof bird feeder, and who demonstrates which school produces the smarter graduates; MIT, or Whats-a-matta-U?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2020 10:42 AM

Here’s the original twirl-a-squirrel.

My boyfriend used to open the front windows and sit real still as the squirrels tested-out whether or not they could come in and snoop around. I put a stop to that right quick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2020 12:42 AM

They’re digging up everything I’ve planted this year and I can’t seem to stop them

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2020 12:49 AM

I don’t mind that they eat birdseed, it’s cheaper than nuts, but over the winter they broke our bird feeder. It was a cheap Aldi purchase, but still.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2020 1:13 AM

Many thanks OP for posting that. Such a fun vid. Squirrels in my yard seem to be able to polish off those 30 pound sacks of birdseed in mere weeks. So one side of the yard is A feeder for for birds and the other feeder with sunflower seeds are for Alvin and his Chipmonks.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2020 1:21 AM

Why didn't the OP just put the slippery stuff on the original pole and then move it to the center of the yard?

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2020 1:52 AM

R5, I thought of that, too. It’s a mystery.

I have a bird feeder hanging from a diagonal pole. I’ve got cameras on it, and the squirrel, I only have one, the squirrel cannot climb up the pole - he slides down it. (My Downey woodpecker has the same trouble). I don’t know why. He could easily jump onto it, but he doesn’t bother.

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2020 2:14 AM

I’m kind of torn on this one. Mark Rober seems like the nicest an on earth, and I appreciate that he is having some harmless fun.

That said - squirrels are fuzzy rats. Yes they look cuter, but the are still just fuzzy rats. They eat up furniture, pick through garbage, chew through wires, etc. I know they appear to be cuter than rats but ... they are rats.

I don’t try to actively kill them, but I treat them the same as any rodent pest.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2020 2:36 AM

But squirrels do not activate that innate revulsion that rats do, by how they look and how they move.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2020 2:41 AM

I’ll bet his neighbors are pissed.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2020 2:45 AM

As a kid, feeding them peanuts in the park, one of these furry fuckers mugged me. It jumped up and forced my fingers open with its sharp talons. Can still remember the shock, the pain then being questioned by teachers about the livid scratches that covered my hands. They also steal eggs and baby chicks from nests. Horrifying to see these tree rats with their murderous behaviours, twerking their tails at me in my back garden.

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2020 3:26 AM

They aren't the same as rats. Just because they're rodents don't mean they're on par with rats. Rats are fucking gross.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 3:42 AM

If you have not seen the video, do so! It is done well and with Mark's personality, humor and knowledge, I promise you will finish with a smile and a new appreciation of squirrels. Now back to helping Granny prepare some stewed squirrel in the kitchen at the House with the cement pond.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2020 4:06 AM

These videos are so wholesome and funny.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 4:14 AM

More wholesome fun with a grey mammal.

He’s a happy boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 28, 2020 2:00 AM

It’s weird but I visited a part of PA where my family has a little cabin and it occurred to me that I did not see nearly as many squirrels as in previous years. I was wondering if they were on a decline as a species.

by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2020 3:00 AM

There's a squirrel that comes up to my door every morning and scratches at it to tell me he wants a peanut. He's relentless because I always cave. Of course I call him Peanut.

by Anonymousreply 16May 28, 2020 3:10 AM

Hartford has an ancient burial ground from the Revolutionary period where my Greeeeeat grandmother is buried, and it has some really cute squirrels. I’ve never seen that species and I’m from the Connecticut shore. I wish I took pictures. It was fall and they were really busy hopping all over and running around.

by Anonymousreply 17May 28, 2020 3:43 AM

Here they are, the American Red Squirrel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 28, 2020 3:52 AM

OP, the elephant video was great, didn’t realize they could hold their breath so long.

It also made me want to swim in a pool with an elephant.

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2020 3:59 AM

R19, they breathe through their trunks, which they stick up out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 20May 28, 2020 4:04 AM

Mohr elephants in the pool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 29, 2020 9:22 PM

OMG, elephants escape from the London Zoo! Somebody stop them!

Daily Mail: London fav “Missy” the elephant escaped Thursday through a heretofore UN unbeknownst access hatch whilst at a Penguin Pavilion pool party sponsored by the Alston Alliteration Alliance.

Alston, Cumbria, is summarized in Wikipedia as a [italic] “human settlement in England” [/italic] and further described as [italic] “... sharing the title of the 'highest market town in England', ... with Buxton, Derbyshire.“ [/italic] and is a popular destination around the hipster set. Honestly, I think this Wikipedia entry was written by Monty Python, check it out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 7, 2020 1:15 AM

Around = amongst

by Anonymousreply 23June 7, 2020 1:19 AM

[quote]There's a squirrel that comes up to my door every morning and scratches at it to tell me he wants a peanut. He's relentless because I always cave. Of course I call him Peanut.

This will not end well, r16

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 7, 2020 4:20 AM

Confused squirrel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2020 3:59 PM

Well, that was rather entertaining. Thank you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2020 4:58 PM

I heard a **SPLAT** The other day and saw a squirrel run away. It must have fallen from the tree branch to the pavement, which is at least four stories.

In one of these squirrel-postings, I think it was, someone asserted that squirrels can fall from virtually any height, because they instinctively know to spread-out their limbs for wind resistance, then impact in some way that minimizes the effect. I suppose it is a skill that comes in handy, if you’re a squirrel.

by Anonymousreply 27July 12, 2020 1:15 PM

Lucky you all we have in the garden are magpies these days.....

by Anonymousreply 28July 12, 2020 1:18 PM

I think my neighbor reads these threads. I am curious.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2020 1:43 AM

Squirrels plant trees! Yes they’re annoying when they fall out of their drays or eat all the viburnum berries within a week. But they have repopulated the chestnut trees in the woods around my house, which makes them more of an expert on global warming than our orange carbuncle in the Oval Office. I love the black ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2020 2:14 AM

I saw a small boy outside my building who was throwing a ball for a squirrel, and the squirrel was actually chasing and catching it, like a dog.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2020 10:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!