Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Uber is on the road to going belly up and I couldn't be happier

sorry for those losing jobs but I hate Uber. Typical arrogant tech company doesn't give a damn about its customers or its drivers.

Absolutely zero customer support and it's nearly impossible to contact them anyways

They never made a dime of profit even in their best days. So many of these tech companies are unprofitable and act like there were never consequences....poor management kills.

We are all told to keep emergency funds too bad Uber never did.

Plus they put that whiny gold digger Ariana Huffington on the board of directors. Because she has so much experience in the ride sharing industry. Not!

Good riddance!

by Anonymousreply 70June 20, 2020 6:26 AM

OP is clearly a car owner.

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2020 11:06 PM

I have never used Uber, I prefer cabs. Uber doesn't do proper security checks on the drivers...not safe, that's why you hear so many customers were getting raped, robbed and even murdered...

No thank you. I'm gonna stick to cabs and at least cabs have dividers too, safer

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2020 11:08 PM

Hurray! Hopefully AirBnB, and Airline Miles Programs, will die on the vine as well.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2020 11:14 PM

Wasn't Uber founded by a German lunatic?

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2020 11:18 PM

Uber is still profitable and not going anywhere. Thanks for the monologue!

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2020 11:20 PM

[quote] Absolutely zero customer support and it's nearly impossible to contact them anyways

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2020 11:22 PM

This seems like a deplorable thread

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 11:24 PM

[quote] Wasn't Uber founded by a German lunatic?

Nope. It’s American and a San Francisco Company.

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 11:24 PM

[quote] Uber doesn't do proper security checks on the drivers...not safe, that's why you hear so many customers were getting raped, robbed and even murdered...

MARY!!!! You hear more people getting murdered by cabbies than Uber drivers. Cabs are rip-offs.

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2020 11:25 PM

R2 cabs are disgusting these days.

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2020 11:25 PM

Uber even has a security feature on its app with GPS. They have safer features than taxis. You’re getting into a car, whether it be Uber or can, with someone you don’t know and that’s always a risk. Don’t like it? By a fucking car.

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2020 11:27 PM

"By a fucking car."

How about you buying a fucking brain.

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2020 11:38 PM

I see uber drivers have found this thread.

I will never use these cunts.

They are laying of thousands of drivers...

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2020 11:42 PM

You deplores gotta deplore r13

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2020 11:45 PM

[quote] Plus they put that whiny gold digger Ariana Huffington on the board of directors. Because she has so much experience in the ride sharing industry. Not!

That isn't unusual, corporate boards are full of people that have no knowledge of the business, especially if they are famous. It is why I usually vote no when they put them forward to shareholders.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2020 11:46 PM

I understand cabbies have been hit hard by Uber and Lyft and honestly, I don’t give a fuck. because they had a monopoly, cabbies could and would be complete assholes. I dislike carrying excess cash. I once told a cabby at the beginning of the ride that I had a card and he called a friend and bitched about me the entire ride. Another insisted on stopping at an ATM (with the meter running) so I could get cash. Uber and Lyft, kind of forced to be polite.

Not to mention that Uber and Lyft are generally significantly cheaper. Taxi from LAX to my house = 85+. Uber/Lyft = somewhere in the 30s.

Safety: when I get in an Uber or a Lyft, there’s a record of the car and GPS. If I got assaulted by a cabby, assuming I survive, I have to hope I remember their ID.

TLDR, if cabs provided quality service, they wouldn’t have been hit so hard by Uber and Lyft. People were MORE than ready for an alternative.

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2020 11:52 PM

I've never had a problem with cabbies.

Oh I forgot to add that Uber was hacked years ago...they begged the hackers to delete the info and even offered money to pay them to do it, of course the hackers didn't and they didn't reveal the hack to public until almost 1 year later ( I can't remember exactly, it's been a while since I read about this). This is a stupid and dishonest company...so you guys better check your credit if you haven't...although it's probably been 2 or 3 years since this hack...maybe it's too late.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2020 11:57 PM

Love UBER . Live in a retirement town and all the drivers are geezers like me. Polite, on time and helpful. Unlike the surly Armenian cab drivers of LA. Oye don't get me started.

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2020 12:07 AM

If you don’t want to use Uber, don’t use Uber. Problem solved. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2020 12:09 AM

r18

That means racist.

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2020 12:58 AM

Morgan Stanley and Bank of America are encouraging private wealth clients with net worth of $10 million to invest in a fund call the New Rider LP, which is a fancy way for people with money to buy stock in companies that haven't gone public yet.

The strange thing, though, is that investors aren't allowed to view any of Uber's financial information, which in essence means they are making blind bets on Uber. The fund is part of the $10 billion in capital already raised by the startup, which has been recently valued at $62.5 billion.

Even weirder, the investors don't get direct equity in Uber, which means there are less protections for investors should Uber go belly up. But this hasn't stopped these investors from committing $500 million to Uber's latest round of fundraising.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2020 1:03 AM

[bold] The One Where Eldergays Complain About Horseless Carriages And Other Modern Things

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2020 1:07 AM

R21, I defended Uber earlier in the thread, but I have heard Saudis have a large stake in the company, which is terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2020 1:08 AM

Good riddance to Uber, Airbnb and all those gig economy (neo feudalism) companies that have only been good at one thing: making their douchebag founders rich.

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2020 1:08 AM

I'm with you R2. There are far too many tragedies associated with these ride share services. I'll stick with real cabs.

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2020 1:10 AM

R2- The same could be said for guys you meet on Grinder. I prefer to go to a bathhouse. No one knows where I live or anything else about me. I don't like bringing strangers over to my place.

by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2020 1:13 AM

I do not trust anything that has an app. I don't have one of those smart phones.

No sireee Bob, you won't see my mind controlled like one of those nasty Gen Xers with their slacker heads bent over the phone all day listening to Nirvana. Not me!

I like staying at a nice Days Inn when I travel. Mother always said that "at least with Days Inn you know it's clean." She used to check to top of the pictures to see if there was dust and then complain if there was.

And these food delivery services! Why are these damn Slackers so lazy they can't even cook for themselves or go and sit and have a nice meal in a Beefsteak Charlies or Red Lobster like respectable folks.

They even meet other gays on apps! Not me, I like me a nice tea room or bath house where you can see the guy first and make eye contact.

And don't get me started on automatic transmission!

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2020 1:16 AM

Give it a rest, YourMillennialFriend.

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2020 1:17 AM

[quote] I defended Uber earlier in the thread, but I have heard Saudis have a large stake in the company, which is terrifying.

Okay, Donald.

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2020 2:15 AM

I've had taxi drivers try to charge me extra. I've learned to get a quote at the start of the ride, then ask to see their meter so I can see how much I'm being charged during the ride, then follow their route on my phone's GPS. Speaking of phones - I require that they not use their phone for personal calls. Yes, all true. This is from years (and years) of experience, both domestically and international.

Since I started using Uber, where available, I can see the driver's rating and an estimate of the trip charge. Most Uber cars are cleaner than a taxi.

by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2020 2:28 AM

Any industry that has underpaying its workers as part of its business model deserves to go tits up.

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2020 3:37 AM

[quote] I've learned to get a quote at the start of the ride, then ask to see their meter so I can see how much I'm being charged during the ride, then follow their route on my phone's GPS.

How can a cab quote you a price? The meter runs as long as it takes to get there. The more traffic the more you’re gonna pay. It’s not a bus.

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2020 4:07 AM

Taxis are so 20th century. Too expensive, bad service, no technology. I’m happy to pull out my phone, request a ride, see it coming, be told the price up front and tip on my phone. Fuck cabs.

by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2020 4:10 AM

OP is delusional. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2020 4:56 AM

Isn't uber in talks to purchase Grubhub? Doesn't sound like they are about to go out of business.

I confess I've driven part time for Uber and Lyft but quit during Covid. Maybe it's more popular here because it's difficult to get cabs sometimes. Last time I called a cab they told me it would be a 2 hour wait and not guaranteed. The dispatcher said they didnt have cars in that area. WTF? I'm in a very large city and there should be cars everywhere so what's the deal? That's why rideshares are booming here.

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2020 5:42 AM

Uber is great. I live in Chicago and most people use it or Lyft. I travel for work and we use Uber in most cities including my airport trips (rip), you can order the car ahead of time for an exact arrival. Uber basically gives the masses limo style service at a cheaper cost than a cab. I don’t get the hate, but every cab I’ve been over the last two years has been old or just a subpar experience to 90% of my Uber rides.

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2020 5:48 AM

Also, you have the Uber driver's name and license plate number to send out to someone you know (in case you're kidnapped ;-) Seriously though, most Uber drivers tend to drive safer because it is their car. Cabbies are renting/leasing their cabs and don't give a shit. Reckless and dirty ripoffs. I use Uber for trips to/from the airport ($20 from Jersey City - Newark Airport. Cab would charge $50 each way).

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2020 6:01 AM

Like many tech service jobs, Uber was not meant to supplement most of the driver’s full-time gigS. But you can work it to make enough for full-time pay, if you’d like. It sucks that they don’t get benefits but that’s 1099 work for ya. It’s perfect for those with a newish car that want to make a couple of bucks. People don’t get this bent out of shape over the lives of their pizza men or EMTs, both professions make less than the average Uber driver. Uber is upfront with drivers about their policies, not their fault if people aren’t reading the fine print before signing on as a driver.

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2020 6:03 AM

It seems like if you work for Uber you:

-Get paid shit

-Don't have benefits

-Are at the mercy of random weirdos in a confined space (your car)

-Wear out your own car.

I say burn it, burn that hideous company to the ground.

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2020 6:55 AM

Uber is a terrible company to work for. They pay their drivers pennies.

Lyft pays them more.

by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2020 7:16 AM

I hear it was founded by the Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 41May 27, 2020 7:39 AM

Uber > Cabs

by Anonymousreply 42May 27, 2020 7:40 AM

Uber is more convenient but once cabs are out of business for good and Uber buys everything else out those prices will skyrocket. Something people fail to see is the importance of options. Monopolies are bad.

by Anonymousreply 43May 27, 2020 8:21 AM

Taxis had fucked me over before, but when a phone-up cab company, Luxor in SF for the record, took 55 minutes to send a car to get me to the airport to catch the one daily direct flight to Dublin, I was finished. Uber was a godsend, I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a car, at any time of day, I can track his approach, and I know the vehicle (and the driver) will be clean. A receipt with the route taken and fare calculation appears in my email when I step out. No messing with a tip at arrival.

It is a great service model, and obviously caught on immediately given the available alternatives. Uber as a company may not survive due to faulty structure or management, but I just cannot believe that people will accept going back to flagging taxis from the kerb in the rain.

by Anonymousreply 44May 27, 2020 8:27 AM

Uber founder Travis Kalanick nicknamed the company "Boober" because he got laid so much from owning it. He is the biggest douche-bro ever in an industry infested with them.

Lyft treats drivers better, and isn't nearly as evil. I hope Uber dies and Lyft survives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 27, 2020 9:13 AM

Lyft def pays better.

by Anonymousreply 46May 27, 2020 9:19 AM

Huh? Uber has in-app support and has always gotten back to me in milliseconds. Bitch, what you talkin bout?

by Anonymousreply 47May 27, 2020 9:20 AM

R45 is jealous.

by Anonymousreply 48May 27, 2020 10:05 AM

R47, most of the old farts in this thread only use jitterbug phones. They have no idea how anything works.

by Anonymousreply 49May 27, 2020 10:06 AM

Uber made profit but they never called it profit on the balance sheets. It was a hovering of money made by service worker slaves, to some tech people.

by Anonymousreply 50May 27, 2020 10:06 AM

hoovering

by Anonymousreply 51May 27, 2020 10:06 AM

Uber is not a transportation company; it's a data company. Your data.

by Anonymousreply 52May 27, 2020 10:46 AM

I've taken cabs for decades. The only time I've ever had a cab driver do something shady was on a ride from LaGuardia into Manhattan with a little Asian man driving. As soon as we got off the airport property and stopped at a traffic light he says to me "how much you pay if I turn off meter?". I said "what?". He said he needed to make some extra money. This was back in the 80s and I offered him $11.00 (including toll). He took the offer and delivered me to my hotel with no problems.

by Anonymousreply 53May 27, 2020 11:34 AM

Is Lyft more expensive that they’re able to pay better?

by Anonymousreply 54May 27, 2020 12:14 PM

[quote]Uber is on the road

I see what you did there

by Anonymousreply 55May 27, 2020 12:16 PM

Uber has never made a profit.

by Anonymousreply 56May 27, 2020 12:27 PM

r543 they are nearly the samba dn yes, the drivers make a bit more money on average

by Anonymousreply 57May 27, 2020 12:37 PM

Overall, cabs companies pay their workers better wages, and they have more government regulations with which to comply. Because cab companies need to cover overhead and wages, it costs more to get to the same place in a cab than it does in an Uber. Cabs will never be as cheap as Uber or Lyft. Suck it up and pay more to keep better paying jobs (cab drivers) employed. I had a friend drive for Uber and she actually lost money!

by Anonymousreply 58May 27, 2020 12:54 PM

Uber is known for how little it pays despite how many millions in profit they bring in annually. No bonuses, no nothing.

Drivers make more with Lyft because Lyft takes less percentage out per ride and also does deals etc. with the drivers sometimes. Sometimes they give a bonus if the driver hits a certain amount of rides for the years etc. Uber doesn’t do any of that. They just keep taking.

by Anonymousreply 59May 27, 2020 3:06 PM

As self driving cars come online, there will be no more human cab or Uber drivers.

by Anonymousreply 60May 27, 2020 3:53 PM

At the same time r59 without Uber, those drivers wouldn't make anything. I'd suggest asking an Uber driver if they are happy now that they can't drive (or the demand has decreased) because of CORONA or if they preferred to make their Uber money. Most would prefer to safely go back to driving. What they are paid is not my concern, just like I don't concern myself with my neighbors' salaries, that's between a company and their staff. I have also never heard someone worrying about cab drivers' pay. As another poster said, many people on here are just stuck in the past. I get some of the hate against Uber itself, but ride-sharing is here to stay.

by Anonymousreply 61May 27, 2020 11:47 PM

R61 is a selfish bitch.

by Anonymousreply 62May 27, 2020 11:50 PM

Oh please r62, are you really going to sit here and act as if you go around worrying about the salaries of every person you encounter? Uber offers them a job, they accept the job at the posted rates. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 63May 28, 2020 12:55 AM

I just order the ride from a car service: you're billed so there's a record for expenses, they wear a uniform, they can park at the curb at the airport, not the holding pen (so you don't feel like you're walking to Cleveland when you land in Detroit), they grab your bags, there's a bottle of water and the WSJ in the car, it's always spotless and your name is in the window. More $ than the rideshares, but it's flat rate so in rush hour traffic it can be about the same as a taxi, and they wait for me in the driveway leaving the house. Personable, safe, reliable drivers, too.

When I lived in deepest suburbia, I had the undertaker's guys take me to and from the airport. They were much cheaper than a cab and it was either a stretch Town Car or a Cadillac limo. Skycaps treat you better if you're checking luggage, too.

by Anonymousreply 64May 28, 2020 1:24 AM

They are still here, Hertz is not

by Anonymousreply 65June 20, 2020 1:28 AM

agree, op!

by Anonymousreply 66June 20, 2020 1:29 AM

I live alone in a suburban area and don't drive (I'm epileptic). Uber/Lyft have been a tremendous help to me the past several years. I also happen to live about 30 min away from an airport. It's impossible to get a taxi where I live, they hang out at the airport or downtown. They don't want to drive 30 min out of their way (unpaid) to do a short ride for me, then have to drive back out to the airport (again, unpaid).

There have been times were I've had to wait over 2 hours for a taxi. On top of that, they get furious if you try to pay with a card. I don't carry cash often. It's stupid for me to go out of my way to have them take me to my ATM just to withdraw the cash to pay them.

At least with Uber/Lyft, it's seamless to pay by card. You can see where your driver is at, how far away they are, and who they are. You also know what your trip is going to cost up front.

The only down side lately, with the quarantine, The Uber/Lyft drivers are all gone now. I haven't been able to use them for weeks now. Not sure if the drivers were let go, or they're all just avoiding giving rides right now. Stuff like Instacart though, I haven't had any trouble with. I haven't tried Uber Eats yet.

by Anonymousreply 67June 20, 2020 5:39 AM

The last time I used Uber was in Buenos Aires in December. Now they keep sending me emails offering me a discount on my next trip -- in Argentine pesos.

by Anonymousreply 68June 20, 2020 5:50 AM

Uber is anti-gay. They are financial tied up with lobbyists who forcibly trans gay children.

by Anonymousreply 69June 20, 2020 6:20 AM

[quote] Hurray! Hopefully AirBnB, and Airline Miles Programs, will die on the vine as well.

What do you have against frequent flyer programs?

by Anonymousreply 70June 20, 2020 6:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!