Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do You Remember People for a Long Time?

Eldergay here who has lived in many different places. I've always kept certain things like address books and then files with contact information, as well as writing journal or diary entries. Because of that, I have a tendency to remember or be reminded of people long ago who probably don't remember me. It's not obsessive, but a lifelong habit. Every now and then I think of people and get nostalgic. I think that those with odd or unique names might be easy to find, but that always seems creepy. Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2020 11:06 PM

How do you know they don't remember you?

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2020 9:56 PM

Old friends are better left in the past.

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2020 9:57 PM

I love you for long time.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2020 9:58 PM

R1 Mostly because it would have been something fleeting -- meet at a party, have coffee with a FOAF, that kind of thing. But it does raise the question of the nature of memory. You're right -- maybe I pop into their consciousness sometimes!

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2020 10:01 PM

I am very much the same way OP. I 'm 63 and still remember grade school chums. My sister pointed out to me that my memories are a lot stronger than most people's, But there is no harm in reaching out just don't be disappointed at some reactions. When Facebook 1st came out there was a lot of this type of reconnecting but seems out of favor now.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2020 10:02 PM

I frequently am struck by WHET (a registered DL Trademark) for random people I've met over the years.

Nothing demented, sexual, or bizarre - just sheer curiosity about someone I might have once known in passing or spent a lot of time due to work, school, or various hobbies.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2020 10:02 PM

People are out of your life for a reason. Best leave it that way. That said, I was shocked at the number of people from elementary/middle school who hit me up on FB. This is from 38 years ago in some instances. I remember them - some were bullies and I don't want to be their fucking FB friend all these years later!

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 10:03 PM

Along with those who made an impact on my life, I still remember passing acquaintances and people I only spoke with once or twice.

I remember their faces. That's a good thing. The problem is that I often can't recall their names. Is that common for people who aren't even 40?

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 10:20 PM

It doesn’t surprise me that I remember random names and places from years ago. For some reason, at the time, they made an impression on me. Especially people you met while young and just starting out...you want to know how their story ended up.

What IS truly jarring is indulging in a little WHET research, typing their name in Google and having it completed by “....obituary.” UG!

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2020 10:30 PM

I have a good memory and I am observant. I will notice if someone has trimmed their hair, wearing something new, etc. I am positive that I remember people more than they remember me (with a few exceptions).

I have had people contact me out of nowhere, asking how I am. Usually, they'll tell me they are married and had ___ amount of children. That always seemed to be the extent of the conversation. I pretty much don't respond any more to people from my past.

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2020 11:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!